Forum Settings
Forums

KyoAni's New TV Anime 'Tamako Market' Due in January

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Nov 29, 2012 6:11 AM

Nov 2011
mitch3315 said:
neontaster said:
I'm still hoping that they pull a Shaft on us and moe girl ends up hacking people apart with a steak knife. That's just me, though. :)

Because all girls in Shaft shows kill each other.... Like Hidamari Sketch.

In fairness, Kyoto already has a show where a cute moe girl tries repeatedly to hack someone apart with a steak knife. Just sayin'.
Nov 29, 2012 6:20 AM

Sep 2012
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:

As long as the MC isn't a braindead retard like whats-her-face-K-ON-MC, I can watch it. Since there isn't a source material I can only hope the K-ON staff doesn't write like shit.

To be honest, it is KyoAni who deliberately wrote Yui to be a much more airheaded character than in the manga. I read it in the staff interview so this is not just a rumor. Anyway, KyoAni loves to change a lot of things even when they do an adaptation (which is the case in Nichijou, Hyoka and even more substantially Chunibyo) so even in an adaptation you should expect the influence of KyoAni to be significant besides the original source material.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 29, 2012 6:27 AM

Aug 2011
neontaster said:
mitch3315 said:

Because all girls in Shaft shows kill each other.... Like Hidamari Sketch.

In fairness, Kyoto already has a show where a cute moe girl tries repeatedly to hack someone apart with a steak knife. Just sayin'.

That is so true. Hell, they have a show where a cute moe girl shoots someone repeatedly even though he did nothing to deserve it.

Also, Tamako Market, y u no MAL page?
Nov 29, 2012 7:28 AM
Feb 2012
Will most likely not watch this when it comes out since I am not a fan of the particular art style KyoAni has chosen.
Nov 29, 2012 7:47 AM

Oct 2007
Higashi said:
Now I officially know that the KyoAni/key fanboys/girls can NEVER be even remotely as annoying as all those random haters. The posts in this thread are mostly ridiculously needless. No clue how anything works in the industry, hilarious scoring systems, who-can-shout-louder arguments and baseless predictions on every single page. I can now understand better why KyoAni/key fans reacted snappier than needed to criticism in the past, and I forgive them. I also tip my hat to those who still have the energy to argue back with reason, and promise myself to stay away from KyoAni threads in the future.

Both sides of the issues are equally insufferable by my standards. You have one group that is entirely non-discerning, will unconditionally adore and declare any production by the studio a masterpiece, seem blissfully unaware that there are other studios out their making achievements in animation and who do good work and that Kyoani is not the be all end of Japanese animation, and who's opinions are thus generally not all that useful nor is conversing with them for any extended period and then you've got another group who are butthurt that the studio chooses to focus on what is making them money while the current market environment still allows for it, calls everything moeblob as if it's suppose to be a valid and fair criticism of the shows themselves and start pointless arguments with fans that would probably keep to themselves and leave people like me that are tired of hearing all this nonsense trumpeted every time Kyoani is doing a new show without a headache.

Seriously so much stink, hype and general nonsense over a studio that does what amounts to well-animated yet extremely light-hearted and silly moe comedy shows. I get that some people find a lot to love about this sort of thing, and I get that others want more of the franchises they liked that Kyoani started out with, but people please, try to be at least a little less obnoxious about all of this. If your goal is to promote or to discourage others who are otherwise indifferent to the Kyoani brand to from checking out more than both sides are going about it completely the wrong way. Start stating actual merits of the shows that have a basis in reality, aren't overreaching, and don't insult peoples common sense and start stating actual criticisms of the show that also have a basis in reality and fairness and watch as people suddenly find they have much more attention to pay to the matter.
PeacingOutNov 29, 2012 7:51 AM
Nov 29, 2012 8:04 AM

Sep 2012
Higashi said:
Now I officially know that the KyoAni/key fanboys/girls can NEVER be even remotely as annoying as all those random haters. The posts in this thread are mostly ridiculously needless. No clue how anything works in the industry, hilarious scoring systems, who-can-shout-louder arguments and baseless predictions on every single page. I can now understand better why KyoAni/key fans reacted snappier than needed to criticism in the past, and I forgive them. I also tip my hat to those who still have the energy to argue back with reason, and promise myself to stay away from KyoAni threads in the future.

Highashi_no_Kaze, you phrased it really well. :-) Just hope that you won't feel it necessary to stay away from KyoAni threads in future though...

Kaioshin_Sama said:
Seriously so much stink, hype and general nonsense over a studio that does what amounts to well-animated yet extremely light-hearted and silly moe comedy shows.

That said, quite many people find shows from KyoAni beyond that -- they can feel there is heart in the shows as well, which is why people feel inspired or touched after watching K-On or Haruhi. Those many high school students who gave K-On as the reason for joining or starting a school band club clearly did not do it just because it is a silly moe show.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
I get that some people find a lot to love about this sort of thing, and I get that others want more of the franchises they liked that Kyoani started out with, but people please, try to be at least a little less obnoxious about all of this. If your goal is to promote or to discourage others who are otherwise indifferent to the Kyoani brand to from checking out more than both sides are going about it completely the wrong way. Start stating actual merits of the shows that have a basis in reality, aren't overreaching, and don't insult peoples common sense and start stating actual criticisms of the show that also have a basis in reality and fairness and watch as people suddenly find they have much more attention to pay to the matter.

Well said. What we need in a forum is discussion with substance. Criticism is fine but we absolutely do not need pointless rants and bashing.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 29, 2012 9:27 AM
Aug 2011
symbv said:
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:

As long as the MC isn't a braindead retard like whats-her-face-K-ON-MC, I can watch it. Since there isn't a source material I can only hope the K-ON staff doesn't write like shit.

To be honest, it is KyoAni who deliberately wrote Yui to be a much more airheaded character than in the manga. I read it in the staff interview so this is not just a rumor. Anyway, KyoAni loves to change a lot of things even when they do an adaptation (which is the case in Nichijou, Hyoka and even more substantially Chunibyo) so even in an adaptation you should expect the influence of KyoAni to be significant besides the original source material.

You just crushed my hopes slightly. They made Yui more dumb than she already was?

Since you usually appear to know useful-ish info, I've been meaning to ask something about Chuunibyou,perhaps you know this, did KyoAni just adapt the first LN, and create the rest of the story themselves?
Nov 29, 2012 9:35 AM

May 2012
-MgZ_ said:
Just heard the news that K-ON! Seiyuus (HTT Group) will be coming together to do this series. That just confirms that Tamako Market will be the best Anime in Winter 2013 *_*

See!!! one of the things wrong with you moe lovers @ jmal and symbv and company, the lot of you are blind to your tastes, nothing its better that your moe, nothing is more amazing than your moe, theres no better characters than your moe, there not best anime than your moe, theres no better songs than those in your moe, most memorable anime in history is only your moe, best animation is only in your moe.

So you dont raise any eyebrows to anyone saying be default it will the "best" of the season/year, but god-forbid someone says otherwise....nice logic, and you feel so very offended when people call you blind! and oblivious to anything other than moe.

Whatever.

Wont say anything about this series, more moeblod evidently, as if Kyoani can do anything else nowadays (or bother with). Despite my criticism to moe I enjoyed some of it in the past, so this can be enjoyable yet I dunno If I can stomach it in 2012/2013, yet I will definitely watch so I can further criticize moe, well more like my grip with the saturation of anime with it and obsessive followers, not moe itself, even if some of you dont like it aint stopping me from voicing my opinion, just as you do as well, you are free to ignore of course.
9988Nov 29, 2012 9:44 AM
Nov 29, 2012 9:41 AM

Apr 2010
jmal said:
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
did KyoAni just adapt the first LN, and create the rest of the story themselves?

From what I've read (from someone translating the novels), KyoAni only really used the broad outlines of the story, so what we're seeing is almost entirely original in execution.

I believe some characters like Dekomori were just created specifically for the anime. Or had such a small role in the original that she didn't even matter.

BTW, whatever happened to this girl? http://myanimelist.net/character/65867/Satone_Shichimiya

I remember she was in the early promo pics after the anime was announced..

Nov 29, 2012 9:47 AM

Apr 2010
RyanSaotome said:
BTW, whatever happened to this girl? http://myanimelist.net/character/65867/Satone_Shichimiya

That was ANN's horrible reporting at work. Instead of properly taking the time to do research, they posted the back cover summary of the second novel (and didn't even state there were two novels before I corrected them). The NA licensor, Sentai, decided that wasn't horrible enough and made their own version of that summary. That character only appears in the second novel and KyoAni is very very very very very loosely (if you can even call it that) adapting the first novel. Shows the reliability of the NA reporting/anime industry.
Nov 29, 2012 9:51 AM

Apr 2010
ultimatemegax said:
RyanSaotome said:

That was ANN's horrible reporting at work. Instead of properly taking the time to do research, they posted the back cover summary of the second novel (and didn't even state there were two novels before I corrected them). The NA licensor, Sentai, decided that wasn't horrible enough and made their own version of that summary. That character only appears in the second novel and KyoAni is very very very very very loosely (if you can even call it that) adapting the first novel. Shows the reliability of the NA reporting/anime industry.

That doesn't surprise me. For anime aimed at an otaku audience, ANN doesn't really seem to care to do much research or even put together much of an article at all. But if its something like JoJo or Psycho Pass, they'll give it a much more thorough article since their news people are actually interested in those shows.

But then again, I guess thats ANN demographics.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-11-28/kyoto-animation-k-on-team-makes-tv-anime-tamako-market

They only have 37 comments for this new KyoAni show, while nearly every other anime site is all over it as the biggest news of the week. Their fanbase cares more about Westernized shows.
RyanSaotomeNov 29, 2012 9:54 AM

Nov 29, 2012 10:21 AM
Aug 2011
jmal said:
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
did KyoAni just adapt the first LN, and create the rest of the story themselves?

From what I've read (from someone translating the novels), KyoAni only really used the broad outlines of the story, so what we're seeing is almost entirely original in execution.

Now this is good to hear. Chuunibyou is actually good so far, no problems or extremely complains on my side.
So KyoAni can write a decent story on their own.
Thus, I have no reason to believe that this anime can be good too.

9988 said:
See!!! one of the things wrong with you moe lovers @ jmal and symbv and company, the lot of you are blind to your tastes, nothing its better that your moe, nothing is more amazing than your moe, theres no better characters than your moe, there not best anime than your moe, theres no better songs than those in your moe, most memorable anime in history is only your moe, best animation is only in your moe.

I'm assuming that I could be considered part of the "moe lovers" and "company" too, so i'll voice my opinion.

I always use this when I come across people hating a specific genre. (of which I consider moe one, the same applies to "battle-shonen")

Why judge anime across different genres?

Do you watch a comedy anime for a serious plot?
Do you watch a horror to see the strong romantic bonds between two people?
Do you watch a shoujo for the action and explosions?

I mainly rate a anime by using its primary and secondary (third if necessary) genres as the basis.

When I watch or rate a moe anime. I first take that genre into account and then the second most prominent one. (Once again, a third if necessary)

What your are probably doing is comparing moe to a different genre that presents itself entirely different from what moe does.

/End Rant
/TL:DR
Nov 29, 2012 10:23 AM

Sep 2012
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
They made Yui more dumb than she already was?

Well, I read the whole manga too so I can tell Yui is substantially more airheaded (or should I say, act more exaggeratedly) in the anime than in the manga. The only question I had when watching the anime was: Were the staff aware of that, and if yes by how much? And in the interview I read it was clear that they not only knew it but deliberately made it that way. The thing is, this issue with "dumb Yui" is not just something that western fans (who may be expected to be less inclined towards such characterization) love to harp on, but quite many fans in Japan seem to dislike it too. So the question still remains if they really believe that the change has been for the better after all.

Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
Since you usually appear to know useful-ish info, I've been meaning to ask something about Chuunibyou,perhaps you know this, did KyoAni just adapt the first LN, and create the rest of the story themselves?

It is more complicated than that. Basically 2 out of the 4 main characters in the anime do not exist in the LN, so it is not which volume of LN it adapts, but how much of the original LN is kept in the adaptation from the beginning. I have not read any spoiler about the LN so I do not have the details but what I heard is that a lot of things get changed because without Dekomori and Kumi you no longer have all those battles between Dekomori and Mori Summer or the visit of Kumin to the MC's room (or any budding love of Isshiki towards Kumin). Think about how many episodes of contents there are: all of those are anime originals. In fact Isshiki is supposed to be a short-haired grade-A student who is also the head of the student discipline committee. All these settings are changed in the anime. What I know is the serious part of Rikka's past was there in the LN though.

Note: There has been rumor about a bad-end ending but it seems made up to me as some say the ending is for the LN (the fact that there are no clarification from any LN reader shows how few people read it, which may be no surprise considering how restrictive the distribution of the LN is - one cannot even buy it in Amazon!) while some say it is for the anime.

Nov 29, 2012 10:29 AM

Sep 2012
9988 said:

All these attacks from an imagination you created above (which none of us mentioned ever) just goes to show how BLIND you yourself are, and it is to the Hate of Moe you have. In fact I can turn around your rants and point out that you seem to just want to say "nothing is worse than moe, nothing is more trash than moe, there is no good character with moe, there is no good anime with moe, there is no good song with moe, no memorable anime in history should have moe, no good animation should have moe"

Of course nobody can stop you from ranting here, but we can always point out all those glaring and fatal flaws in your logic and argument that you use for your distorted view that moe is everything to blame for anime these days. As for watching more moe in order to make yourself feel qualified to criticize (actually more like pointlessly rant) about moe is just the typical masochistic hater behavior common among overseas so-called anime fans, but the truth is watching more of the stuff does not make your points more valid, as it is shown abundantly clear in all your posts about moe here so far.
symbvNov 29, 2012 11:05 AM

Nov 29, 2012 10:43 AM

Oct 2007
"yet I will definitely watch so I can further criticize moe, well more like my grip with the saturation of anime with it and obsessive followers, not moe itself, even if some of you dont like it aint stopping me from voicing my opinion"
Man, that's a... special goal in life. Good luck, I guess?
Nov 29, 2012 10:43 AM

Sep 2012
RyanSaotome said:

She was in early promo pics of the anime? I cannot quite remember and I have a feeling that she may not show up in the anime at all.... so I wonder if she ever made it into any anime promotion...

jmal said:
I'm guessing she's the basis for what became Sanae? She seems pretty chuunibyou from the outfits she's in.

There is one aspect of the Satone character that can form the basis for Sanae -- Satone was the grand Chunibyou girl in her junior high days (and continued to be so after she entered high school.) One key difference for Satone is that she actually is the one person who lured BOTH Yuuta and Mori Summer into Chunibyo condition back in junior high (yes, she actually moved from Yuuta's junior high to Mori Summer's junior high) ! Another difference is in the LN, Satone's effect is to remind Mori Summer of her dreadful past and also be a factor to disturb the relationship between Yuuta and Rikka. None of these will likely be performed by Dekomori.

Nov 29, 2012 10:44 AM
Aug 2011
symbv said:
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
They made Yui more dumb than she already was?

Well, I read the whole manga too so I can tell Yui is substantially more airheaded (or should I say, act more exaggeratedly) in the anime than in the manga. The only question I had when watching the anime was: Were the staff aware of that, and if yes by how much? And in the interview I read it was clear that they not only knew it but deliberately made it that way. The thing is, this issue with "dumb Yui" is not just something that western fans (who may be expected to be less inclined towards such characterization) love to harp on, but quite many fans in Japan seem to dislike it too. So the question still remains if they really believe that the change has been for the better after all.

Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:

It is more complicated than that. Basically 2 out of the 4 main characters in the anime do not exist in the LN, so it is not which volume of LN it adapts, but how much of the original LN is kept in the adaptation from the beginning. I have not read any spoiler about the LN so I do not have the details but what I heard is that a lot of things get changed because without Dekomori and Kumi you no longer have all those battles between Dekomori and Mori Summer or the visit of Kumin to the MC's room (or any budding love of Isshiki towards Kumin). Think about how many episodes of contents there are: all of those are anime originals. In fact Isshiki is supposed to be a short-haired grade-A student who is also the head of the student discipline committee. All these settings are changed in the anime. What I know is the serious part of Rikka's past was there in the LN though.

Note: There has been rumor about a bad-end ending but it seems made up to me as some say the ending is for the LN (the fact that there are no clarification from any LN reader shows how few people read it, which may be no surprise considering how restrictive the distribution of the LN is - one cannot even buy it in Amazon!) while some say it is for the anime.

Great info.

I'm not too familiar with all source to anime adaptations.

But this is then something I've been wanting to happen in the anime industry. I seriously hope other studios follow this trend.

Promoting a source material (Manga,LN,) by using the original story only as a basis and creating a original story for the anime. Thus decreasing the amount of cliffhanger endings and forced anime original endings.

A bad-end:
Cannot see that happening at all in this anime.

No idea about the novel, obviously.
Nov 29, 2012 10:51 AM

Jun 2010
Doesn't looks impressive.

Oh well, better KyoAni adapt Rewrite from Key.
Nov 29, 2012 11:00 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
While I still object to calling moe a genre, I definitely think this is the most important cause of misunderstanding from western fans: desire to evaluate all shows by the same metric.

Moe is definitely not a genre. But I guess we (as in the MAL readers) have talked about this before in the Moe in Psycho-Pass thread earlier, so I would not elaborate here.

And I absolutely agree this is a very objectionable tendency in the western fandom - the desire to evaluate shows by the same metric. I cannot remember how often I bump into debates or arguments with a western fan about why one should measure a harem show or a slice of life comedy show differently from a drama or adventure show. In fact I would say that it is one root of all the persistent over-stressing about the lack of "plot" (read an overarching plot with big drama) and complaints about the "lack of plot" in almost every anime show they watch. This just seems to be some serious want of basic and proper perspective for a critic -- don't they know that movie critics in their country would never judge a thriller with the same metric as a light comedy? And since anime is made in a country with a culture that is vastly different and foreign to ours, I would actually argue for broader perspective in judging anime, as its genres can come in very different variety and style than, say, animation in the west.

Nov 29, 2012 11:01 AM

Oct 2011
YAY!!!!! Can't wait
Nov 29, 2012 11:05 AM
Aug 2011
I classify moe and battle-shonen as their own separate genres because they have their own variation+combination on certain specific genres. (Moe is usually like a variation/combination of SOL+School and battle-shonen of action+adventure+superpower)

Its as small as what separates romance and harem.
1 or 2 love interests / 3+ love interests
Nov 29, 2012 11:28 AM

Sep 2012
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
I classify moe and battle-shonen as their own separate genres because they have their own variation+combination on certain specific genres. (Moe is usually like a variation/combination of SOL+School and battle-shonen of action+adventure+superpower)

I would not do that because it actually makes discussion of moe more confusing. Of course it is pretty common to see the word "moe show" around but it seems to be just a way for moe-detractors to bundle and frame a bunch of shows, often from very different genres, into a big lump for them to bash. MOE, used properly, is trait introduced (mostly intentionally but can be unintentionally too) in anime that has the effect of invoking the feeling of adorableness among the watchers. So-called "moe shows" just happen to have a high level of such elements (and overbearingly too much for those detractors). Shows like Symphogear have a lot of actions as well as moe elements for example. And it is hard to imagine shows as different as ToLoveRu and K-On and Seitokai Yakunin-Domo to be lumped into one big so-called "moe genre".
symbvNov 29, 2012 11:35 AM

Nov 29, 2012 11:35 AM

Aug 2010
The series composer worked on quite a few shows I have enjoyed, so hopefully this will be good too. The character design bothers me though, I unconsciously associate them with K-on girls.
Nov 29, 2012 11:40 AM

Oct 2007
symbv said:
And it is hard to imagine shows as different as ToLoveRu and K-On and Seitokai Yakunin-Domo to be lumped into one big so-called "moe genre".
Many people actually do that because they hate these shows and many other more or less similar to them. After all everything with female cast has to be terrible. Most of the time I simply pity those people unable to enjoy whole spectrum of anime (or, to be exact, majority of the medium). However I get annoyed when they start to belittle me just because I'm not narrow-minded like them. That's crossing the line.
Nov 29, 2012 11:41 AM

Mar 2012
Things can be, and almost always are, described by multiple genres. There, the problem of moe being a genre solved.

Without getting remotely technical about the definition of genre (because who cares), if you can describe elements of a show by saying it's ____ and someone will know what you mean, why shouldn't you? If it's moe, but still plot driven and action packed, simply say so. Personally I would be hesitant to use it in most cases, but in others, like K-ON, Tari Tari, etc. I wouldn't. Moe says everything about those shows that needs to be said in a single word (imo, of course), so why complicate things?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Nov 29, 2012 11:42 AM
Feb 2012
deathxempress said:
Doesn't looks impressive.

Oh well, better KyoAni adapt Rewrite from Key.

I'm with you on that, but I doubt it'd be the case :s
Nov 29, 2012 11:42 AM

Apr 2010
It seems like Westerners seem to have little aversion to watching shows full of characters their same gender. Like I see a lot of guys watching female oriented shows like Tempest, Ixion Saga, etc. But in Japan, it seems like its generally that people will be watching shows with the opposite gender more often than with their own gender. Just a difference in what they look for out of their anime, I guess.

Nov 29, 2012 11:43 AM
Aug 2011
symbv said:
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:

I would not do that because it actually makes discussion of moe more confusing. Of course it is pretty common to see the word "moe show" around but it seems to be just a way for moe-detractors to bundle and frame a bunch of shows, often from very different genres, into a big lump for them to bash. MOE, used properly, is trait introduced (mostly intentionally but can be unintentionally too) in anime that is designed to invoke the feeling of adorableness among the watchers. So-called "moe shows" just happen to have a high level of such elements (and overbearingly too much for those detractors). Shows like Symphogear have a lot of actions as well as moe elements for example. And it is hard to imagine shows as different as ToLoveRu and K-On and Seitokai Yakunin-Domo to be lumped into one big so-called "moe genre".

"Moe shows just happen to have a high level of such elements"
That's exactly when I label a anime as moe.

I know what moe entails, I know many anime has that in small doses. Clannad has it too. But I would never classify that as moe.

K-On = Moe
To-Love-ru = Ecchi + Harem
Symphogear = Action, music.

Separating anime that has extremely high levels of moe, with those with relative amounts, would lead people to NOT lump them all together.
Nov 29, 2012 11:45 AM
Feb 2012
I know we all don't want to see this, but can we at least appreciate it? :S
Nov 29, 2012 11:49 AM

Oct 2012
Awesome. Will be waiting for this. :D
I really love their art style. It's really cute or rather, more like moe cuteness. <3
Nov 29, 2012 11:51 AM

Sep 2012
rederoin said:
I heard some rumours about the protaganist being a trap, anybody knows if this is true?

I hope it is, but I'm sure it's not, KyoAni plays safe most of the time, they won't take that kind of risks.
Nov 29, 2012 11:51 AM

Sep 2011
Haven't seen enough to decide on watching it or not, but I'm interested for now. Especially 'cause it's gonna be an original. I would really like to see what they can come up with.

I love KyoAni! They are probably my favorite alongside P.A. Works. I'm not a hardcore fan though, I haven't seen all of their works. But the ones I've seen, I either really liked or loved them :)
I couldn't care less if they reused an art style, and I like it anyway, so I'm in for it.
Nov 29, 2012 12:00 PM

Apr 2011
jmal said:
I was so damn happy when I saw this because I figured they were going to be idle during Winter, especially with nothing announced this late.

And oh gods yes Yamada Naoko, I have been dying to see her direct something for them after her brilliant work on K-ON!. Much love for Yoshida reiko too, the woman behind scriptwriter/series composition of Aria, Kaleido Star, GirlPan, Marimite, Scrapped Princess etc...

This also seems to be original - can anyone confirm? I can find nothing on it on JP Wiki or just googling the name.

Happiness meter through the roof[/b].

Oh god. I really really liked Kaleido Star, and just having recently finished watching the K-on! movie, I've really really been dying for something light and fluffy to watch again.

I'm really hyped. Unfortunately can't watch the PV right now as I'm at school but it sounds awesome thus far.
Nov 29, 2012 12:12 PM

Sep 2012
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
Separating anime that has extremely high levels of moe, with those with relative amounts, would lead people to NOT lump them all together.

But the thing is it is hard to say what level of moe is "extremely high" (or in detractor's word, unbearably high) and this makes discussion of moe confusing, which is why I would not recommend using moe as a word for genre. Besides, it is easy to get into needless arguments with those moe haters over such things as whether a show is under "moe genre". Tari Tari, for example, is called a moe show by some but I would hesitate to call it that way because basically it just ignore the more important indicators of which genre it belongs.

As for your classification of only K-On belonging to "moe genre", it seems to be just your own way of classification as I have seen people lumping ToLoveRu and Symphogear into "moe genre" as both shows also have a lot of moe elements in them. So it all goes back to my point that using the word "moe genre" is confusing and can also cause needless arguments. If it is just slice-of-life comedy like K-On you would call it "moe genre" I would it's better to just call it what it is - a slice-of-life comedy with a highschool setting.

Nov 29, 2012 12:12 PM

Nov 2008
Anyone got info on the story, sounds like a lot of moe filled economics in a market and most likely school setting as well since that girl looks 14-16.

Nov 29, 2012 12:23 PM

Apr 2011
Earwen said:
I read that as "tomato market"

and now I'm dissapointed.

Genuinely made me lol.
Nov 29, 2012 12:24 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:

In your opinion, sure. But the entire reason others object is that they don't share that opinion. And for very good, logical reasons, I'd say.

Saying that one word can encompass absolutely everything worth knowing about two shows as different as K-ON! and Tari Tari proves, in my mind, that the usage of the term you support is not just inexact, but actively detrimental to discussion of animation as a medium across the board.

It's the kind of thing that promotes herd-mentality and polarization through extreme overgeneralizations. It's like the way politics has devolved into a liberal/conservative dichotomy even though real human beings are nuanced, and can take a little from column A and a little fromc olumn B. Do it enough and people start to act as if there really are only two ways of seeing the world (or seeing anime, in this case).

It probably sounds like intellectual nitpicking to someone who doesn't really care to distinguish among shows they don't like much, but it's an entirely practical concern. Words do matter.

Madoka and Pretty Cure are also really different, yet both of them are magical girl anime. K-On is moe and Tari Tari is moe too. Deal with it!
Nov 29, 2012 12:25 PM

Sep 2012
z4yd said:
Earwen said:
I read that as "tomato market"

and now I'm dissapointed.

Genuinely made me lol.

Tamago market? ;)
Nov 29, 2012 12:25 PM

Apr 2010
SetsukoHara said:
Madoka and Pretty Cure are also really different, yet both of them are magical girl anime. K-On is moe and Tari Tari is moe too. Deal with it!

Thats completely disregarding what "Moe" even means.

Nov 29, 2012 12:26 PM
Feb 2012
Moe exists in the eyes of those who want to claim it does.
MAL: Pigeonholing heaven.
Nov 29, 2012 12:55 PM

Sep 2012
SetsukoHara said:

Don't really expect this level of posting from you, SetsukoHara, honestly.

As jmal said, that comparison is just too way off the point that it is discouraging to read (not to say the tone of it asking jmal to "deal with it"). Anyway, calling Tari Tari is moe does not mean it is valid to use moe as a genre descriptor. And besides, how valid it is to use "moe show" to describe something like Tari Tari is highly debatable, but I would expect very little argument about whether Madoka is a magical girl show. This just goes to illustrate why it is hardly recommendable to use moe as a word for genre, and this is even before we talk about how the word can easily give rise to heated arguments (just go to show how subjective and emotional this word is in general). If we want to talk about genres of an anime, it is best to stick to words that actually describe the anime in less subjective way. Few people would object that Tari Tari is a drama but most would not call K-On a drama, for example.

Nov 29, 2012 12:55 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
SetsukoHara said:

Did you even read my post or the post I was replying to? Would you argue that "they're magical girl shows" tells you literally everything important you need to know about Precure and Madoka? The implication then is that if I watch Precure, I know exactly what to expect from Madoka. (It doesn't.) Your reply has nothing to do with the post you quoted.

I don't know, your complaint seems rather dull to me then. There isn't any show that we can summarize in one word. So what!? should we stop using genre to describe any anime? Is that what you're proposing?

Thats completely disregarding what "Moe" even means.

From wikipedia:

Moe (萌え?, pronounced [mo.e]) is a Japanese slang word. Moe is not considered as a concrete term. It is constantly evolving and being used in a variety of ways.
Nov 29, 2012 12:57 PM

Sep 2012
SetsukoHara said:

From wikipedia:

Moe (萌え?, pronounced [mo.e]) is a Japanese slang word. Moe is not considered as a concrete term. It is constantly evolving and being used in a variety of ways.

Still does not mean your point is valid though.

Nov 29, 2012 1:07 PM

Jun 2008
Post-Josh said:
Without getting remotely technical about the definition of genre (because who cares), if you can describe elements of a show by saying it's ____ and someone will know what you mean, why shouldn't you?

Now that's what I was going to say! o/ Aren't there people who call shounen a genre rather than a demographic group as well? I don't think either of these will change any time soon... Well, we could think of a different term than "genre", but that wouldn't change a lot I think.

symbv said:
And I absolutely agree this is a very objectionable tendency in the western fandom - the desire to evaluate shows by the same metric. I cannot remember how often I bump into debates or arguments with a western fan about why one should measure a harem show or a slice of life comedy show differently from a drama or adventure show. In fact I would say that it is one root of all the persistent over-stressing about the lack of "plot" (read an overarching plot with big drama) and complaints about the "lack of plot" in almost every anime show they watch.

Differentiating might not be a bad idea, but that'd be difficult for series with multiple genres which applies to almost any out there... Then sites like MAL (are there other sites like this one? xD) shouldn't have a ranking for all anime and should have categories instead.
Even so, from my understanding, people rating "moe anime" or anime with slice of life as the focus lowly because there's not much of a plot in there which they expect when they shouldn't from those kinds of anime is the problem, right? :O If that's how it is, those who try to rate objectively based on aspects such as characters, plot and others should come to a fair concluded rating as any anime has strengths and weaknesses. Otherwise, maybe the importance of some factors should be adjusted depending on the genre. But rating a "moe anime" or slice of life anime lowly might be the result of rating according to one's enjoyment. Maybe an anime of the slice of life genre or with "moe characters" is a good one as compared to other series of the same category (and avid watchers will know), but if someone cannot enjoy it as a viewer (perhaps this person isn't into or doesn't watch this type of anime on a regular basis possibly because of a lack of appeal), that person won't rate the anime highly, either. Feeling this way might have a relation to the plot or the lack of it. But there is always someone who cannot appreciate one genre or one kind of anime but feels the opposite for others, so there should be some sort of balance... in theory, at least. :S
Face_FaithNov 29, 2012 1:11 PM
Nov 29, 2012 1:19 PM

Dec 2011
Slice of life and moe are two completely different things.
There's plenty of non-moe slice of life, and plenty of non-slice of life moe.

People would do well to remember that.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 29, 2012 1:22 PM

Oct 2011
Looks pretty boring, I hope it won't be shitty like K-ON and Hyouka.
Nov 29, 2012 1:25 PM

May 2012
JustEasy said:

I don't you know what you are talking about. You should leave.
Nov 29, 2012 1:30 PM

Oct 2011
Ancestor12 said:
JustEasy said:

I don't you know what you are talking about. You should leave.

I'm saying I hope it won't be shit like K-ON and Hyouka, was it really that hard to understand?
Nov 29, 2012 1:58 PM

May 2012
JustEasy said:

I'm saying I hope it won't be shit like K-ON and Hyouka, was it really that hard to understand?

I understood. I was just saying, your opinions are proletariat level.
Ancestor12Nov 29, 2012 2:03 PM
Nov 29, 2012 2:14 PM

Oct 2011
Ancestor12 said:
JustEasy said:

I understood. I was just saying, your opinions are proletariat level.

And here I thought it was just you being angry. Silly me.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Sakamoto Days' Gets TV Anime in Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

28 by deg »»
8 minutes ago

» 'Sorairo Utility' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - 13 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
13 minutes ago

» 'Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan' Reveals Supporting Cast, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

6 by perseii »»
32 minutes ago

» 'Touhai: Ura Rate Mahjong Touhai Roku' Unveils Main Cast for Fall 2024

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 8:56 PM

» Science SARU Produces New 'Ghost in the Shell' TV Anime for 2026 ( 1 2 )

Vindstot - May 25

53 by Merve2Love »»
Yesterday, 12:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.