Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Nov 20, 2012 10:38 PM

Oct 2008
aiNkyy said:
Wait, it's over ? This is the last episode?

I want to know what happened after the 2 years...maybe an OVA ?

There's going to be another OVA. No one know's what it's about yet, however.
Nov 20, 2012 10:38 PM

Jul 2012
Dangerr said:
QuiGonJon said:
kaykenner54 said:
Why I think Eureka Seven AO sucked as a sequel:

First sentence, argument invalid.
Eureka Seven AO isnt a sequel, its a side story, a spin-off, its own thing. It is not necessarily meant to be compared to Eureka Seven PoP. Judge it by its own merits, not its predecessor's.

It is technically a sequel; the producers have stated this.

To specify, it's a sequel only insofar as Renton and Eureka's plotline goes, which is their legacy, being Ao. From a character perspective, that's the only factor, honestly, though the actions of the Scub Coral post-Second Summer of Love kind of makes it a direct sequel on a much larger scale in big ways.

Ah I see

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Nov 20, 2012 10:39 PM

Jul 2012
Dangerr said:
aiNkyy said:
Wait, it's over ? This is the last episode?

I want to know what happened after the 2 years...maybe an OVA ?

There's going to be another OVA. No one know's what it's about yet, however.

An epilogue style OVA would be nice, akin to Steins;Gate's. I feel like there aren't enough OVAs for anime series that aren't random fillers.

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Nov 20, 2012 11:12 PM

May 2012
I laughed really hard at the AO lifting with no trapar.

So were the secrets just a manifestation of the scub coral made to destroy other scub coral coming into different dimmensions as a means to prevent the limit of questions?
because it seemed kind of like that to me when Renton was explaining it, but I don't know.

Sad waiting for a series you're excited about, then you lose interest. Then it's coming out and you want to get excited, but it's only alright.
I didn't think E7 would end this way, I thought I'd always want more.
Good thing my life brings wonderful things as well everyday.
7/10
Nov 20, 2012 11:21 PM

Oct 2008
Vuyo said:
I laughed really hard at the AO lifting with no trapar.

So were the secrets just a manifestation of the scub coral made to destroy other scub coral coming into different dimmensions as a means to prevent the limit of questions?
because it seemed kind of like that to me when Renton was explaining it, but I don't know.

Sad waiting for a series you're excited about, then you lose interest. Then it's coming out and you want to get excited, but it's only alright.
I didn't think E7 would end this way, I thought I'd always want more.
Good thing my life brings wonderful things as well everyday.
7/10

The origin and nature of Secrets haven't been explained; thus far, they seem to be a "natural" response towards temporal disturbances, though it seems fairly obvious that they're extremely advanced constructs created by a possible higher-power or civilization. Unless we get more from the franchise, however, who knows for sure?

Anyways, even if AO failed to captivate, the universe and concepts are still a hell of a lot more interesting than most sci-fi today offers; let alone in anime. There's still plenty left in the universe to be worked with to make a compelling story; get a better writer and a clearer vision before going into the next, and I'd be more than looking forward to another entry in the franchise.

Also: There was trapar in the atmosphere at the end there.
Nov 20, 2012 11:21 PM
Jul 2012
You know, considering that Ao was drifting between different worlds for a considerable amount of time. It is possible that Ao is 16 right now right?

This means....Ao and Fleur will be the same age!! I mean, it's a possibility and that would more likely mean Ao X Fleur.

Give me a Second Season for this damn it! Bones, you asshole do it right now! I mean, they can still do a Second Season where it'll focus more on Ao's character relation with others. Give him some romance, let Fleur express her feelings!!

Then end the forking series with a Happy Family. Although Renton and Eureka couldn't have their happy family time with Ao, at the very least let Ao be with Fleur and have a baby with no complications.

I would love a new ending showing a grown up Ao, Fleur and their child. Showing that it is possible for Human X Coralian/Scub to attain happiness and that their child would not suffer like Ao did.

We can even make new enemies, just give it a real damn plot and more character interactions. I pray for a Second Season because this ending is too damn open.

It will be funny if Coralian X Human hybrids start to spread. More and more until they become a species of their own. Let's call them Humanlian lololol
Nov 20, 2012 11:29 PM

Oct 2008
Samhiuy said:
You know, considering that Ao was drifting between different worlds for a considerable amount of time. It is possible that Ao is 16 right now right?

This means....Ao and Fleur will be the same age!! I mean, it's a possibility and that would more likely mean Ao X Fleur.

Give me a Second Season for this damn it! Bones, you asshole do it right now! I mean, they can still do a Second Season where it'll focus more on Ao's character relation with others. Give him some romance, let Fleur express her feelings!!l

They very obviously left it off here in case they want to continue the story; note at even the end, it says "Thanks for Watching!" rather than "The End". There's of course numerous other plot points that have been hung out to dry, as I've mentioned, so there's space for more.

Personally, I'd be more interested in exploring the time-frame of the 12000s, but since we've already got a considerable foundation with Ao's setting, if they manage to improve the writing and characterization, I'd be down.

Honestly, though, I doubt we'll have another sequel soon, if at all, though I remain optimistic.
Nov 21, 2012 12:11 AM

Jan 2011
Everything came together in the end. Great action, great music, loved the characters especially Elena. It was enjoyable 8/10.
[center]
Nov 21, 2012 12:13 AM

Dec 2008
Thx for facepalm ending, oh man I watched this show two times and in the end all the stuff before the three last episodes was meaningless. Naru, Fleur, Elena WTF?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 21, 2012 1:51 AM
Mar 2010
... but I feel that if it had more episodes, say 50 like the original, it could have been great! The pacing is whats dragging it down, it needed more episodes. However, I have liked it, and I am incredibly excited for these last two episodes.

This.

felt like I was rushed through. I understood the ending from the get-go but this is no way to end such an awesome anime in just 2 episodes. The original E7 covered the ending in like... 7 or 10 episodes. I mean

What the hell
Nov 21, 2012 2:29 AM
Jul 2018
303devilfish said:
it was... meh. i knew by episode 22 that there was no way they could answer every single question in two episodes, so i had made peace that there would be a lot of loose ends.

this image was probably the best part of the entire series. putting aside all my hang-ups with the series for one brief moment, i got a little misty-eyed at the thought of what was about to happen.

you know, despite the fact that the eureka and renton we all know would never let their child sacrifice his life for their sake.... probably the most notable annoyance with the ending for me. renton acted out of character, wanting to destroy the scubs after he went through so much to protect them in the original, all to protect Ao and his world. yet he so easily lets Ao give up his reality for them.

it honestly needed more of a connection to the original. as i write this, i feel as though E7:AO is almost like it's own series, interdependent of eureka seven.

all in all, it could have been worse. ill give it a 7/10, because i started watching the series knowing it would never compare to the original (i actually didn't even want to watch it at first because i was a little annoyed that they couldn't just leave eureka seven as the gem that it was). I'd call this series a diamond in the rough. at this point, certainly wouldn't be opposed to a follow-up episode or two.

Of course 24 eps are not enough, they added so much bullshit to series that there was not room for character/story development. Indeed Eureka and Renton was the best part.

Of course they wouldn't, and it saddens me a lot that people despise them because of that :( also notice that whole sequel makes 50 episode series absolutely meaningless. Also nonsense: scub coral tried to find way to co-exist with humans, even created Eureka and Sakuya for that and then, boom! they're enemies *facepalm*.

It actually is. It has tons of elements that E7 didn't. Like secrets, scub burst, quartz, and other shit.

I think you're too generous ;D
Nov 21, 2012 2:10 PM
Sep 2012
Only thing I wish to remember from this series:
Nov 21, 2012 2:59 PM

Feb 2012
Well, that was a fucking rushed ending and we waited for this how long, two months?!

I actually expect some sort of continuation but sales didn't look that good if I remember right.
Nov 21, 2012 3:43 PM
Oct 2012
To be honest I didn't understand anything until now, really. Also, I realize that the reason for all this negative reaction is because you:

a.) Didn't get the ending you wanted
b.) Didn't get the ending you predicted
c.) Didn't get an easy-to-understand ending

And some of you have the gall to mock Shounen anime. -_-

Here's the thing. If you concentrate at Ao and only at him as was what BONES intended then maybe you'd appreciate this little standalone sequel even more.

Stop trying to tie everything in. Most of the things are supposed to be inconclusive because they were meant to be inconclusive and/or be left to die. The only thing you have to know is that in the last 2 episodes Ao didn't know who the real enemy was ... when in fact there were none. He just got pinned between the forces known as the Scab Coral, the Secrets, the not-archetype Truth, the Quartz Gun (aka the Reset Button), the various politicians and military officials involved, and different ideologies.

It doesn't matter where Truth came from anymore because Quartz Gun. It doesn't matter if Naru or Fleur got hooked up with Ao because Quartz Gun. It doesn't matter what happened to the real Elena Peoples because Quartz Gun. Want to know why Ao sacrificed himself and went in limbo for 20 plus years? He didn't want to live in his chaotic dimension anymore. You had to make a choice, whether to destroy the Scab (Naru will die) or not (Everyone will die). It was a lose-lose situation, and don't tell me you'd choose the second (humans are stupid like that for love - figuratively speaking of course, since Ao's a Coralian).

TLDR, yes he ran.

It's quite an amazing plot device, that Quartz Gun.

Anyway, you should just all think that Ao's happy where he is a world without (or only minimal, I guess?) Trapar and his parents are happy too, that in his dimension he can start a whole horde of mixed Coralian/Human kids with superpowers just like Goku and Vegeta did, except Ao is Gohan.

EDIT: I just realized, that BONES went the hard way instead of making Ao some fanservice where we could see Renton and Eureka living together with Linck, Maeter, and whatsisname.

Also, I hear some of you asking "What kind of story is it then, where we don't have to care for the characters? Isn't that a sucky story?"

My answer is NO, IT DOESN'T SUCK. Just because it wasn't understandable doesn't mean it sucks. BONES just put up a number of coat hangers called plot points, hung some coats on them called characters, and removed most of them without even letting them be completely dry through the hands called the Quartz Gun, yet many of you care about the coats that haven't dried yet. This is quite-on-of-a-kind, E7 AO, that it manages to weave plot points together so beautifully only to remove most of them with a reset button and still manage to complete the main character's plot.
BHancockNov 21, 2012 3:54 PM
Nov 21, 2012 4:00 PM
Oct 2012
303devilfish said:
you know, despite the fact that the eureka and renton we all know would never let their child sacrifice his life for their sake.... probably the most notable annoyance with the ending for me. renton acted out of character, wanting to destroy the scubs after he went through so much to protect them in the original, all to protect Ao and his world. yet he so easily lets Ao give up his reality for them.

What if you realized that all you've stood for is evil? He didn't act out of character, the Scab was no longer the most important thing to him; HIS FAMILY WAS. Of course he'd put more priority on his family.

About Ao's decision, it's because he was the one holding the Quartz Gun. Renton realized right away that Ao's decision to put himself in limbo instead of Eureka was better instead of making Eureka the fall girl for 20 plus years. Ao didn't want to be in his hard-to-understand dimension too anyway. They all make sense and in character. You were the one who wanted the power of love and friendship to solve everything. THAT makes lesser sense.

303devilfish said:
it honestly needed more of a connection to the original. as i write this, i feel as though E7:AO is almost like it's own series, interdependent of eureka seven.

Then write a fanfic about Renton and Eureka's family life, Talho and Holland's chaotic marriage, the Gekko's resurgence, etc.
Nov 21, 2012 4:10 PM

Oct 2008
BHancock said:
My answer is NO, IT DOESN'T SUCK. Just because it wasn't understandable doesn't mean it sucks. BONES just put up a number of coat hangers called plot points, hung some coats on them called characters, and removed most of them without even letting them be completely dry through the hands called the Quartz Gun, yet many of you care about the coats that haven't dried yet. This is quite-on-of-a-kind, E7 AO, that it manages to weave plot points together so beautifully only to remove most of them with a reset button and still manage to complete the main character's plot.
Actually, comprehension, or how "understandable" it is, is one of the most important aspects of effective writing; you're trying to say that it's being purposefully ambiguous, though the ending answered a lot of ambiguities left hanging in the series. That is not to say, however, that there aren't a lot of remaining plot threads left hanging; each of which that I could point out, if someone really wants me to. The bottom line is, however, is that in order for it to be effective writing, it MUST be comprehensible to the audience, and where any plot elements are left ambiguous, there must be room for one to formulate their own structured conclusions, rather than a complete failure to comprehend (bad writing).

There are some minor holes here and there, though I think the story was told effectively, overall. The biggest problem this series faced was characterization, pacing, and a propensity to focus too much on details that are ultimately irrelevant to the story.

Not that I don't agree with you in some things, but the plot should be comprehensible, and avoid unnecessary convolution, which AO didn't fully succeed in.
DangerrNov 21, 2012 4:15 PM
Nov 21, 2012 4:26 PM

Sep 2011
BHancock said:

QFT
Nov 21, 2012 4:28 PM
Nov 2012
What confuses me is how bones manages to ruin Eureka 7 with the sequel. Since they are the original creators of Eureka 7, shouldnt they have known what to do to make it actually good. Quite sad, epecially since i knew bones was trying to keep the Eureka 7 franchise alive (they came out with that movie, way after the series ended.) Just how? how from a great manga, a great series, and a pretty good movie, do you fuck it up with Ao bones. How?!
Nov 21, 2012 4:34 PM

Oct 2008
AnimeGio96 said:
What confuses me is how bones manages to ruin Eureka 7 with the sequel. Since they are the original creators of Eureka 7, shouldnt they have known what to do to make it actually good.

"Good" is subjective; I don't mind that you hated it, but why don't you try substantiating your complaints rather than making lofty, hollow, and sweeping statements.
Nov 21, 2012 4:35 PM
Nov 2012
BHancock said:
To be honest I didn't understand anything until now, really. Also, I realize that the reason for all this negative reaction is because you:

c.) Didn't get an easy-to-understand ending

And some of you have the gall to mock Shounen anime. -_-

Here's the thing. If you concentrate at Ao and only at him as was what BONES intended then maybe you'd appreciate this little standalone sequel even more.

Stop trying to tie everything in. Most of the things are supposed to be inconclusive because they were meant to be inconclusive and/or be left to die. The only thing you have to know is that in the last 2 episodes Ao didn't know who the real enemy was ... when in fact there were none. He just got pinned between the forces known as the Scab Coral, the Secrets, the not-archetype Truth, the Quartz Gun (aka the Reset Button), the various politicians and military officials involved, and different ideologies.

It doesn't matter where Truth came from anymore because Quartz Gun. It doesn't matter if Naru or Fleur got hooked up with Ao because Quartz Gun. It doesn't matter what happened to the real Elena Peoples because Quartz Gun. Want to know why Ao sacrificed himself and went in limbo for 20 plus years? He didn't want to live in his chaotic dimension anymore. You had to make a choice, whether to destroy the Scab (Naru will die) or not (Everyone will die). It was a lose-lose situation, and don't tell me you'd choose the second (humans are stupid like that for love - figuratively speaking of course, since Ao's a Coralian).

TLDR, yes he ran.

It's quite an amazing plot device, that Quartz Gun.

Anyway, you should just all think that Ao's happy where he is a world without (or only minimal, I guess?) Trapar and his parents are happy too, that in his dimension he can start a whole horde of mixed Coralian/Human kids with superpowers just like Goku and Vegeta did, except Ao is Gohan.

EDIT: I just realized, that BONES went the hard way instead of making Ao some fanservice where we could see Renton and Eureka living together with Linck, Maeter, and whatsisname.

Also, I hear some of you asking "What kind of story is it then, where we don't have to care for the characters? Isn't that a sucky story?"

Still, you shouldn't have to think so hard on an anime, then its almost not worth watching. Plus bones should have made a better effort to make Ao better or equal to the original series. Isn't that what sequels are inteded for? They didnt try hard enough.... if they tried they could have had something good like the Naruto Shippuden series.... but they made something suckish like the Darker than Black sequel.
Nov 21, 2012 4:40 PM

Oct 2008
AnimeGio96 said:
.... if they tried they could have had something good like the Naruto Shippuden series....

I'm sorry, but this is killing me; I never try to degrade one's arguments based on their tastes, but seriously?

As for "no one should have to think so hard", then what do you think of shows like Serial Experiments Lain, Gankustsuou, Mushi-Shi, Texhnolyze, and etcetera? Ao doesn't begin to approach their levels in storytelling, but like them, it at least presents the audience high-concepts to ponder over. Are you saying that anime as a medium should be nothing but crowd-pleasing, mindless entertainment?
DangerrNov 21, 2012 4:43 PM
Nov 21, 2012 5:45 PM
Nov 2012
Dangerr said:
AnimeGio96 said:
What confuses me is how bones manages to ruin Eureka 7 with the sequel. Since they are the original creators of Eureka 7, shouldnt they have known what to do to make it actually good.

"Good" is subjective; I don't mind that you hated it, but why don't you try substantiating your complaints rather than making lofty, hollow, and sweeping statements.
Maybe good wasn't probably a correct adjective, but i wasn't trying to go for language that is border-line esoteric. I wouldn't call my argument hollow, but you are welcome to think that. I just thought that bones wasn't strong in the development and overall creation of this series especially when compared to its origins, just as you thought that my statements were "lofty", "hollow", and "subjective". Nonetheless, I appreciate your input.
Nov 21, 2012 5:57 PM
Nov 2012
Dangerr said:
AnimeGio96 said:
.... if they tried they could have had something good like the Naruto Shippuden series....

I'm sorry, but this is killing me; I never try to degrade one's arguments based on their tastes, but seriously?

As for "no one should have to think so hard", then what do you think of shows like Serial Experiments Lain, Gankustsuou, Mushi-Shi, Texhnolyze, and etcetera? Ao doesn't begin to approach their levels in storytelling, but like them, it at least presents the audience high-concepts to ponder over. Are you saying that anime as a medium should be nothing but crowd-pleasing, mindless entertainment?
Again, i was most likely unclear here. No I'm not saying that anime has to be mindless like most forms of mainstream entertainment, but it doesn't need to have the kind of thought Ao establishes. Ao is convoluted is so many ways, and it's unnecessary to have to decipher through all this while remaining entertained, this is why most reactions to this series is "Eh, it was alright" or "It could have been better". Elements like time travel in shows/anime have been known to be confusing (not always) and Ao applies it in one of the worst cases I've seen. The point i was trying to confirm was it shouldn't be necessary for us to decipher the meaning behind every point Ao makes, while trying to make it both comprehensible and in relation to its origins. Things like Scubs are now the enemies but they weren't in the original series are too trivial to mull over the whole time, and complicating an established fact in one series and then contradicting it in its sequel WHILE still trying to validate the former is just too much to ponder over and has little to no point. Thanks for your input nonetheless, and i know gramatically this post probably lacks so sorry in advance
Nov 21, 2012 6:07 PM
Nov 2012
BHancock said:
303devilfish said:

What if you realized that all you've stood for is evil? He didn't act out of character, the Scab was no longer the most important thing to him; HIS FAMILY WAS. Of course he'd put more priority on his family.

About Ao's decision, it's because he was the one holding the Quartz Gun. Renton realized right away that Ao's decision to put himself in limbo instead of Eureka was better instead of making Eureka the fall girl for 20 plus years. Ao didn't want to be in his hard-to-understand dimension too anyway. They all make sense and in character. You were the one who wanted the power of love and friendship to solve everything. THAT makes lesser sense.

303devilfish said:

Then write a fanfic about Renton and Eureka's family life, Talho and Holland's chaotic marriage, the Gekko's resurgence, etc.

i really don't like fanfiction, so i'll pass. now that i think about it, i may revise my post. i would have liked more of renton and eureka. not just an occasional time-displaced eureka and an episode and a half of renton. considering the series revolved around their child, i guess i expected more of them.

i'm just saying, the renton i thought i knew wouldn't accept what was being presented to him. he would try against reason to save both Ao and Eureka. of course, the rushed ending contributed to this.
Nov 21, 2012 6:19 PM
Oct 2012
in the end how does ao trapar surf when there isnt even any trapra in the first place bcouse he eradicates it after saving his mom.
Nov 21, 2012 6:42 PM

Sep 2011
daniysixzero said:
in the end how does ao trapar surf when there isnt even any trapra in the first place bcouse he eradicates it after saving his mom.

oi
lkx said:
Pay close attention, when Ao jumped out of the Quartz form Nirvash Neo, there were trapars in the atmosphere, so Ao definitely did not fall to his death like many of you have wished.
Nov 21, 2012 6:52 PM
Jul 2012
God, it wasn't till the end that the everything came together. And now I learn, basically Ao never existed, meaning everything we watched for 24 hours, never happened... Well that is either a good twist, or just plain f*cked up, if they want to make a sequel to ANY of their animes, learn how to make a GOOD ENDING! BONES sucks at endings, this is the fourth anime I've watched where the ending got screwed.
Nov 21, 2012 6:56 PM

Oct 2011
I dropped the series at episode 13 predicting a rushed ending with a lot of criticism because the series was overall terrible and I was on the money. Being the nice guy that I was, I decided who knows maybe the show might go from terrible to bearable....boy was a I wrong. The show in fact got worse as I progressed from episode 13 and these two final episode were probably the worst final episodes an anime can have ever.

Just awful execution all around, Bones should be ashamed at themselves for butchering another series. Goodness sitting through those episodes was like getting my eyeballs grated.

Its over and we can all move on to better things.
Nov 21, 2012 7:13 PM

Jul 2012
I almost burst to tears at the ending, when Ao was going to sacrifice himself," i was like dont do it AO!" (don't judge me)
Nov 21, 2012 7:39 PM

Sep 2011
Acxelion said:
And now I learn, basically Ao never existed,

"Ao never existed" getting annoying now
Nov 21, 2012 7:56 PM
Oct 2012
Dangerr said:
Actually, comprehension, or how "understandable" it is, is one of the most important aspects of effective writing; you're trying to say that it's being purposefully ambiguous, though the ending answered a lot of ambiguities left hanging in the series. That is not to say, however, that there aren't a lot of remaining plot threads left hanging; each of which that I could point out, if someone really wants me to. The bottom line is, however, is that in order for it to be effective writing, it MUST be comprehensible to the audience, and where any plot elements are left ambiguous, there must be room for one to formulate their own structured conclusions, rather than a complete failure to comprehend (bad writing).

There are some minor holes here and there, though I think the story was told effectively, overall. The biggest problem this series faced was characterization, pacing, and a propensity to focus too much on details that are ultimately irrelevant to the story.

Not that I don't agree with you in some things, but the plot should be comprehensible, and avoid unnecessary convolution, which AO didn't fully succeed in.

Have you ever watched a single BONES series besides the E7 one? If you did, then you should know they're notorious for storylines like this. If not, well, it's your loss.

Didn't you understand what I said? BONES made a fool out of us. They made us think that we should care about minor characters when they were totally irrelevant to the story because of the Quartz Gun. You know why I find your reactions funny? It's because BONES made you care about them, Naru, Georg, Ivica, Rebecha, etc. They made you feel for them until such time they pulled the rug on us, revealing that they weren't that involved in the first place. I don't know whether to call this masterful writing or failed trolling, but it's on par with what a crazy genius would think up. BONES successfully convinced us that there was more to the other characters, but in the end weren't any good. OMG, Elena killed the real Elena? Whoop, Quartz Gun, joke's on youuu! They did that, TO OUR FACES. And now that I get it, I think it's funny.

AnimeGio96 said:
something good like the Naruto Shippuden series

Most of BONES' series require lots of thinking. This sentence also invalidates your opinion. Don't compare that to E7 AO, no matter how bad you found this series.
Nov 21, 2012 8:02 PM

Oct 2008
AnimeGio96 said:
Dangerr said:
AnimeGio96 said:

Again, i was most likely unclear here. No I'm not saying that anime has to be mindless like most forms of mainstream entertainment, but it doesn't need to have the kind of thought Ao establishes. Ao is convoluted is so many ways, and it's unnecessary to have to decipher through all this while remaining entertained, this is why most reactions to this series is "Eh, it was alright" or "It could have been better". Elements like time travel in shows/anime have been known to be confusing (not always) and Ao applies it in one of the worst cases I've seen. The point i was trying to confirm was it shouldn't be necessary for us to decipher the meaning behind every point Ao makes, while trying to make it both comprehensible and in relation to its origins. Things like Scubs are now the enemies but they weren't in the original series are too trivial to mull over the whole time, and complicating an established fact in one series and then contradicting it in its sequel WHILE still trying to validate the former is just too much to ponder over and has little to no point. Thanks for your input nonetheless, and i know gramatically this post probably lacks so sorry in advance

Appreciate your responses; I didn't mean to offend, and you substantiated your claims, so I'm cool with that. I'll also agree, that it was unecessarily convoluted in numerous areas, so that I also concede. I do think the reversal of roles for the Scub Coral was an interesting plot-point to say the least, and while it was indeed convoluted, thanks to time-travel shenanigans, I actually think this was one of the plot-points that was handled better than most. Again, I appreciate you actually putting substance to your position, even though I mostly disagree; it's just occassionally tiring seeing people feign discussion in favor of one or two-sentence generalizations in a discussion thread, and that goes either way.
Nov 21, 2012 8:15 PM

Oct 2008
BHancock said:
Dangerr said:

Have you ever watched a single BONES series besides the E7 one? If you did, then you should know they're notorious for storylines like this. If not, well, it's your loss.

Didn't you understand what I said? BONES made a fool out of us. They made us think that we should care about minor characters when they were totally irrelevant to the story because of the Quartz Gun. You know why I find your reactions funny? It's because BONES made you care about them, Naru, Georg, Ivica, Rebecha, etc. They made you feel for them until such time they pulled the rug on us, revealing that they weren't that involved in the first place. I don't know whether to call this masterful writing or failed trolling, but it's on par with what a crazy genius would think up. BONES successfully convinced us that there was more to the other characters, but in the end weren't any good. OMG, Elena killed the real Elena? Whoop, Quartz Gun, joke's on youuu! They did that, TO OUR FACES. And now that I get it, I think it's funny.

DtB2, AO, and Xam'd are the only titles I can really think of, off the top of my head, that have caused this sort of polarizing controversy, though I haven't seen Xam'd. Expectations, however, based upon the studio's other series with different producers should have no bearing on one's vierwership with AO; not from a legitimate storytelling perspective.

As for the series as a whole, even I have to admit, that characterization was a weaker point to AO; in order for this "twist" to have an effect on the audience, they must have some capacity to make the audience empathize, or be invested in them, which AO did a fairly mediocre job of doing, overall. Even so, despite the fact that Ao erased their memories and experiences with him, by changing reality, it doesn't make the story itself irrelevant; Ao still experienced his journey, and still had to face his parents' consequences -- no quartz cannon blast had changed that, which was Ao's sum experience. Of course, if the audience manages to empathize enough, it hurts; it evokes a sentimental reaction for what Ao has gone through, and that those he loved and cared for no longer remember him; that's the idea, anyways - too bad the level of writing couldn't keep up with the concept, dulling its execution (not that I didn't enjoy it, however; it's just not as effective as it should have been).

All I'm saying is that it's not concepts alone that makes a series brilliant; AO had a great story and ideas, at its heart. Its execution, however, cheapens these factors to an extent, and while I enjoyed the series, and greatly enjoyed discussing it, it's certainly a flawed experience. Finally, however, I must disagree that the concept you're mentioning is in of itself "genius"; it's been done countless times before in sci-fi, and even a couple other recent anime (Steins;Gate, Madoka) have used this plot-device to varying extents. Without proper writing and characterization, many people will just call it cheap. I understand what you're trying to say, but to reiterate, the concept in of itself is no longer brilliant.
DangerrNov 21, 2012 8:30 PM
Nov 21, 2012 8:42 PM
Oct 2012
Dangerr said:
DtB2, AO, and Xam'd are the only titles I can really think of, off the top of my head, that have caused this sort of polarizing controversy, though I haven't seen Xam'd. Expectations, however, based upon the studio's other series with different producers should have no bearing on one's vierwership with AO; not from a legitimate storytelling perspective.

I don't know anything about DTB because I don't like watching anime with a dark atmosphere.

Dangerr said:
As for the series as a whole, even I have to admit, that characterization was a weaker point to AO; in order for this "twist" to have an effect on the audience, they must have some capacity to make the audience empathize, or be invested in them, which AO did a fairly mediocre job of doing, overall. Even so, despite the fact that Ao erased their memories and experiences with him, by changing reality, it doesn't make the story itself irrelevant; Ao still experienced his journey, and still had to face his parents' consequences -- no quartz cannon blast had changed that, which was Ao's sum experience. Of course, if the audience manages to empathize enough, it hurts; it evokes a sentimental reaction for what Ao has gone through, and that those he loved and cared for no longer remember him; that's the idea, anyways - too bad the level of writing couldn't keep up with the concept, dulling its execution (not that I didn't enjoy it, however; it's just not as effective as it should have been).

I beg to differ.

1. AO did a marvelous job of making the viewers empathize with the characters - why are you complaining about the lack of closure then? We didn't get any clue on what they did since the story was told through Ao's eyes - he didn't care for that world's inhabitants since he was looking towards the future in a new world. AO was saying not to care for characters left behind; not that I support it, but that's what it's trying to say and I understood it. It all clicked for me when I heard the phrase "Anthropic Principle" once again.

2. The level of writing was brilliant, what are you talking about? The reason why majority of the viewers' expectations weren't filled was because they couldn't accept what happened to the other characters and to Ao himself; that the characters of both series had to suffer because of Renton and Eureka's choice in the original series. The viewers didn't want to believe that what Renton and Eureka was wrong, and the Thurston family was on the same page as us too, but they took the logical way of keeping a sacrifice rather than solving everything through the power of love like the viewers were willing to see for the sake of seeing a somewhat happy ending.

Dangerr said:
All I'm saying is that it's not concepts alone that makes a series brilliant; AO had a great story and ideas, at its heart. Its execution, however, cheapens these factors to an extent, and while I enjoyed the series, and greatly enjoyed discussing it, it's certainly a flawed experience. Finally, however, I must disagree that the concept you're mentioning is in of itself "genius"; it's been done countless times before in sci-fi, and even a couple other recent anime (Steins;Gate, Madoka) have used this plot-device to varying extents. Without proper writing and characterization, many people will just call it cheap. I understand what you're trying to say, but to reiterate, the concept itself is no longer brilliant.

Steins;Gate had more plot holes than E7 IMO, and Madoka was admitted by the author to be nothing more than girls with guns. The concept itself is brilliant, even if it's overused. It's in the execution that differed. The only reason why S;G will be considered better than E7:AO is because the closures of different characters are addressed, with the romance itself quite the plot hanger. It's like a mix of E7 and AO. Madoka is just girls with guns, and 2chan declaring it to be a deconstruction of the Mahou Shoujo genre (it is NOT Mahou Shoujo ... it is not AIMED AT YOUNG GIRLS) immediately discredits the hype. I find it a more gorish Angel Beats.

My point is, E7:AO rushed head-on into its plot and had the original to compare itself to. S;G and Madoka had none therefore are widely accepted.
Nov 21, 2012 8:49 PM

Aug 2010
Okay, I don't want to be in the middle of this argument, and I have no reason to enter it by asking a bunch of questions I have that are unanswered by the series, so I'll ask just this one....

When Ao stopped at his last destination, the date was June 15, 2027. What particularly happened in this day in the series? Is it a day in the past, the present he just returned to, or is it a new day?
Nov 21, 2012 8:54 PM
Oct 2012
GigaSPX said:
Okay, I don't want to be in the middle of this argument, and I have no reason to enter it by asking a bunch of questions I have that are unanswered by the series, so I'll ask just this one....

When Ao stopped at his last destination, the date was June 15, 2027. What particularly happened in this day in the series? Is it a day in the past, the present he just returned to, or is it a new day?

Go ahead and ask lol.

It's a new day.
Nov 21, 2012 8:57 PM
Oct 2012
sooooo.....truth and ao will meet agin?
Nov 21, 2012 8:57 PM

Aug 2010
Isn't there a timeline someone made that lists out all the noted days? Sort of in a way someone did for Penguindrum. I'd like to confirm it so. xD
Nov 21, 2012 9:40 PM
Oct 2012
Am i the only one that think bones left themselves some wiggle room? if you not sure than look at the last 8 min and tell me what you think.
Nov 21, 2012 9:46 PM

Aug 2010
RentonThurston16 said:
Am i the only one that think bones left themselves some wiggle room? if you not sure than look at the last 8 min and tell me what you think.

Hard to say, they did the same with Darker Than Black 2. Such a huge space for a sequel, but they turned it down.

Too many unresolved mysteries...but there's just space for a spinoff somehow.
Nov 21, 2012 9:50 PM

Nov 2012
BHancock said:

c.) Didn't get an easy-to-understand ending.....

OBVIOUS EDIT FOR LENGTH

...... This is quite-on-of-a-kind, E7 AO, that it manages to weave plot points together so beautifully only to remove most of them with a reset button and still manage to complete the main character's plot.
"If you concentrate at Ao and only at him as was what BONES intended" This line bothers me a lot. That logic has so many problems with it in regards to a story.

See if BONES intended for the viewer to only care about Ao, and Ao alone.... they wouldn't have bothered creating so many characters. Yet BONES did in fact create many different character groups, and even takes the time to show them extensively. Even following their stories and tales. For example you have Gazelle and his group who you are introduced early on, and become integrated into team Pied Piper. They have interactions with various characters, and their own little story arcs, like searching for who Elena Peoples is, or about them digging out the truth of Generation Blue and what they are hiding.

If E7 Ao is meant to be focused solely on Ao, then BONES already made a mistake in even following other characters in a half-assed fashion. In the end people follow what these side characters are doing, and for what? No reason. They don't contribute to the overall story in any significant way.

In many ways so many supporting characters play out this way, from Elena, and Fluer who are even involved with Ao extensively. I mean why even put Elena in the spotlight and talk about her issues as someone who has time traveled because of Eureka's involvement if the focus is on Ao... and at the end of the day why are we supposed to care about her. In the end though it doesn't matter because even she is shelved and pushed to the side towards the end so that Ao can get back to his relationship with Naru.

Which even that is kind of thrown around right at the end. Again why bother showing these characters, showing their side of a story, and then completely disregard it or dismiss it. That's just bad story telling.

You can argue that it's not about them, and it's about Ao, but at the end of the day if the story is solely about Ao then BONES should have focused only on him, and only on his feelings, and supporting cast should have reflected that. Most of which didn't in any shape or form.

There is nothing amazing about the Quartz Gun... it's a Deus ex machina. It's a scape goat to rectify problems with the narrative. That which there was a lot of. Between the story focusing on details that don't matter to the overall story, to covering up some very obvious plot holes in regards to why certain things exist in the first place (two Nirvashes as an example... which even Renton asserts.... there really should only be one).

A show can be smart, have time travel and have a co-hesive story without being convoluted. A lot of deeper anime's that involve time travel have done so.

The time travel/multiple universes aspect (the fact that it's never clearly explained whether it's time travel or multiple universes is never clarified is an issue) is loose at best. Things like why is it that Ao's memory isn't affected by the use of the gun for example.... or why is it that they even hint at the fact that Maggie regains some insight to a previous alternate life... which doesn't make sense in any way shape or form.

It's important for a TV series or any story for that matter to have a sort of internal logic. Rules and guidelines to that created universe. When a story doesn't you end up with issues like these.

Also Eureka and Renton are absolutely fan service. They were used specifically to drum up hype on a few occasions. Just look at episode previews.... the glimpses of Eureka are there to keep fans of the series watching and hoping.

The fact that they reveal Renton in the last 30 seconds of episode 22, right before they tell people they have to wait 2 months to see the end.... that was fan service to build up hype for the finale.

In many cases them having Renton in the last two episodes is almost like a distraction device. I mean hey I was excited and happy to see him, he looked cool, he had the original Nirvash and it's bad ass, and he's out to save Eureka again essentially (although again they waffled on that and Renton says he's basically going to erase the original Scub and essentially Eureka with it... which goes against the statement at the end of episode 22 about "now I can get her back from that sky".... erasing scubs and her is not getting her back). In either case I was swept up in the moment, and all the emotions that flood back from memories of the original E7.

Yet as events played out there was this kind of head smacking thing going on ... where I love what I'm seeing on the screen, but at the same time my mind is thinking... none of this is adding up. It makes sense, and I don't think it's that hard to understand what happened... it's simply "why did this happen?" or "why did BONES creatively feel this was the best way to tell a story within the Eureka Seven universe?".

I mean personally I can live with the ending... I can be content that Ao will have a happier life living in the world he is familiar with, and that at the end of the day Eureka and Renton are probably just happy knowing he will survive in the past... where as if he returns with them to their proper time, the Trapar may in fact kill him.

The nagging problem is still why BONES chose to make some of these creative choices which really don't fit with the Eureka Seven universe... to a certain degree Ao even conflicts with the events of the original.

It's an entertaining story, it does rectify itself, but it didn't need to be under the Eureka Seven brand.
Nov 21, 2012 10:00 PM
Oct 2012
GigaSPX said:
RentonThurston16 said:

Hard to say, they did the same with Darker Than Black 2. Such a huge space for a sequel, but they turned it down.

Too many unresolved mysteries...but there's just space for a spinoff somehow.
It may happen remember E7 is there most prized possession
Nov 21, 2012 10:04 PM
Nov 2012
the show was no higher than a 5/10, possibly lower. Stop trying to find some hidden meaning that makes the show good or over analyzing something that has no depth. The fact that you're trying so hard to defend that it wasn't a bad show is proof enough. The best thing about the show was the hype is caused, watching each episode hoping that the next one would be good :(
Nov 21, 2012 10:21 PM

Oct 2008
TeamSatomi55 said:
the show was no higher than a 5/10, possibly lower. Stop trying to find some hidden meaning that makes the show good or over analyzing something that has no depth. The fact that you're trying so hard to defend that it wasn't a bad show is proof enough. The best thing about the show was the hype is caused, watching each episode hoping that the next one would be good :(

^

pretty much this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_49H_N43jQ

#MakeAnimeGreatAgain

SAY NO MORE LOLI! BRING MORE GENRES EVERY SEASON THAN JUST LOLI
Nov 21, 2012 10:27 PM

Jan 2011
Linkark07 said:
Eureka Seven: Psalms of the Planets never had a sequel. That seems right.

Agreed
Oct 2012
XD love the discussions!!!!
Jul 2012
TheMaverickk said:
BHancock said:

c.) Didn't get an easy-to-understand ending.....

OBVIOUS EDIT FOR LENGTH

...... This is quite-on-of-a-kind, E7 AO, that it manages to weave plot points together so beautifully only to remove most of them with a reset button and still manage to complete the main character's plot.
"If you concentrate at Ao and only at him as was what BONES intended" This line bothers me a lot. That logic has so many problems with it in regards to a story.

See if BONES intended for the viewer to only care about Ao, and Ao alone.... they wouldn't have bothered creating so many characters. Yet BONES did in fact create many different character groups, and even takes the time to show them extensively. Even following their stories and tales. For example you have Gazelle and his group who you are introduced early on, and become integrated into team Pied Piper. They have interactions with various characters, and their own little story arcs, like searching for who Elena Peoples is, or about them digging out the truth of Generation Blue and what they are hiding.

If E7 Ao is meant to be focused solely on Ao, then BONES already made a mistake in even following other characters in a half-assed fashion. In the end people follow what these side characters are doing, and for what? No reason. They don't contribute to the overall story in any significant way.

In many ways so many supporting characters play out this way, from Elena, and Fluer who are even involved with Ao extensively. I mean why even put Elena in the spotlight and talk about her issues as someone who has time traveled because of Eureka's involvement if the focus is on Ao... and at the end of the day why are we supposed to care about her. In the end though it doesn't matter because even she is shelved and pushed to the side towards the end so that Ao can get back to his relationship with Naru.

Which even that is kind of thrown around right at the end. Again why bother showing these characters, showing their side of a story, and then completely disregard it or dismiss it. That's just bad story telling.

You can argue that it's not about them, and it's about Ao, but at the end of the day if the story is solely about Ao then BONES should have focused only on him, and only on his feelings, and supporting cast should have reflected that. Most of which didn't in any shape or form.

There is nothing amazing about the Quartz Gun... it's a Deus ex machina. It's a scape goat to rectify problems with the narrative. That which there was a lot of. Between the story focusing on details that don't matter to the overall story, to covering up some very obvious plot holes in regards to why certain things exist in the first place (two Nirvashes as an example... which even Renton asserts.... there really should only be one).

A show can be smart, have time travel and have a co-hesive story without being convoluted. A lot of deeper anime's that involve time travel have done so.

The time travel/multiple universes aspect (the fact that it's never clearly explained whether it's time travel or multiple universes is never clarified is an issue) is loose at best. Things like why is it that Ao's memory isn't affected by the use of the gun for example.... or why is it that they even hint at the fact that Maggie regains some insight to a previous alternate life... which doesn't make sense in any way shape or form.

It's important for a TV series or any story for that matter to have a sort of internal logic. Rules and guidelines to that created universe. When a story doesn't you end up with issues like these.

Also Eureka and Renton are absolutely fan service. They were used specifically to drum up hype on a few occasions. Just look at episode previews.... the glimpses of Eureka are there to keep fans of the series watching and hoping.

The fact that they reveal Renton in the last 30 seconds of episode 22, right before they tell people they have to wait 2 months to see the end.... that was fan service to build up hype for the finale.

In many cases them having Renton in the last two episodes is almost like a distraction device. I mean hey I was excited and happy to see him, he looked cool, he had the original Nirvash and it's bad ass, and he's out to save Eureka again essentially (although again they waffled on that and Renton says he's basically going to erase the original Scub and essentially Eureka with it... which goes against the statement at the end of episode 22 about "now I can get her back from that sky".... erasing scubs and her is not getting her back). In either case I was swept up in the moment, and all the emotions that flood back from memories of the original E7.

Yet as events played out there was this kind of head smacking thing going on ... where I love what I'm seeing on the screen, but at the same time my mind is thinking... none of this is adding up. It makes sense, and I don't think it's that hard to understand what happened... it's simply "why did this happen?" or "why did BONES creatively feel this was the best way to tell a story within the Eureka Seven universe?".

I mean personally I can live with the ending... I can be content that Ao will have a happier life living in the world he is familiar with, and that at the end of the day Eureka and Renton are probably just happy knowing he will survive in the past... where as if he returns with them to their proper time, the Trapar may in fact kill him.

The nagging problem is still why BONES chose to make some of these creative choices which really don't fit with the Eureka Seven universe... to a certain degree Ao even conflicts with the events of the original.

It's an entertaining story, it does rectify itself, but it didn't need to be under the Eureka Seven brand.
This is truth
Nov 21, 2012 10:28 PM

Jan 2011
I really didnt think this show could drop any further but i dropped it another two points. Straight 5 action
Nov 21, 2012 11:41 PM
Nov 2012
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdvmamSGbx1qirqi6.jpg

My friend posted this and I don't know where he found it or if he made it but what if Ao was born in the future universe.
Nov 22, 2012 12:36 AM
Nov 2012
peacefulfiasco said:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdvmamSGbx1qirqi6.jpg

My friend posted this and I don't know where he found it or if he made it but what if Ao was born in the future universe.

at first i lol'd.

then i sad'd because i lol'd.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eureka Seven AO Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - May 24, 2012

156 by waalex11 »»
Sep 12, 2023 7:12 PM

Poll: » Eureka Seven AO Episode 23 Discussion

Kefkiroth - Nov 19, 2012

20 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 28, 2022 4:38 AM

Poll: » Eureka Seven AO Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

bastek66 - Sep 27, 2012

217 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 28, 2022 4:14 AM

Poll: » Eureka Seven AO Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2012

108 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 28, 2022 3:47 AM

Poll: » Eureka Seven AO Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2012

96 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 28, 2022 12:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.