Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Oct 1, 2012 10:26 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
It was interesting. Definitely catched my attention.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

Oct 1, 2012 10:29 AM

Sep 2010
Seems interesting..... But will put on hold for now... Too much anime to watch.....

3/5
Oct 1, 2012 10:52 AM

Apr 2012
Reminds me of Elfen Lied and When They Cry.
Oct 1, 2012 11:40 AM

Jul 2012
I don't really get it, but ending song is nice.
Oct 1, 2012 11:42 AM

Oct 2011
I liked it.
Not sure if anybody else feels the same but it kind of gave me a 'The Village (film)' vibe.
Oct 1, 2012 12:29 PM

Jan 2012
This show looks REALLY interesting, the ED was great as well
Oct 1, 2012 1:35 PM

Jul 2011
Well this was one confusing episode/anime. And the dark atmosphere and scenes did not help.

I just really hope it's not something about tragedy or anything of the sort. I wished it wouldn't have been reiko, and rather that annoying boy who teases everyone.

But then again, I think she was taken because maybe she saw the cat, and it was obvious she wasn't good handling her gravitational powers. or whatever.

In the anime description says that this group of kids are exiled for finding a box which has recorded history of where all this psychic stuff began; therefore a forbidden knowledge that no one must know.

usually this all happens in the 1st episode, and the story begins when they are in the forest and so on and so on.

But the first episode made it seem like the story will take place in the academy where they will learn how to control their "Juryoku".

Well i just hope that it is more clear in the next episode.

Also someone mentioned that there was yurin in the manga but shouldn't be in the anime...

Why not? even if it does not serve a purpose in the story, why should it bother you if its in the anime or not. like you said, it won't hurt the story.

Anyways well whatever, I will keep watching the anime. hopefully it won't be as dark as this first episode.
Oct 1, 2012 3:05 PM

Mar 2009
MoonxArtemis said:
Also someone mentioned that there was yurin in the manga but shouldn't be in the anime...

Why not? even if it does not serve a purpose in the story, why should it bother you if its in the anime or not. like you said, it won't hurt the story.

Because this anime is an adaptation of the novel, not the manga. The manga took extensive liberties with the story of the novel (and you'll notice its score on MAL is rather low), basically overloading the story with moe and fanservice in order to pander to that particular part of the audience.

The novel does no such thing and hopefully the anime will be true to that.
Oct 1, 2012 4:13 PM

Aug 2012
Lol, the manga is hella ecchi from what I've seen. I'm glad they're following the novel instead.

I found the opening sequence quite intriguing as they showed what I assume were flashbacks of when these psychic powers first made their appearance in humankind. They seemed to be triggered by strong (negative) emotions. Now, I'm just wondering if the show will dig deeper into that later on aka will the cast uncover the secrets behind the powers, or will it just focus on our main cast and their umm, adventure.

I'm assuming that the people in that era are living in some sort of dystopia seeing as to how society fell back and the ones with higher control of their powers are more valued. And then there's Reiko; she was probably taken away by higher authorities because she kept putting her team down and could not keep up with everyone else. I mean, that teacher looked incredibly suspicious lurking around the school ground as she was about to head back home, and god knows what happened when he laid his hands on her. I guess the less fortunate ones are meant to be eradicated. Not to forget, Saki's mother also mentioned something about not wanting to lose another child, so this appears to be happening frequently and is causing fear among the people.

I actually thought it was only going to have 12 episodes, but apparently it's a two cour anime? Which probably explains why things started off rather slowly this episode, but I didn't mind the pacing. I'm eager to see how Saki is going to develop as a character, and Satoru as well. I get the feeling that they won't focus too much on Mamoru because I don't think he will be taking part of what will probably turn out to be a love rectangle between Saki, Maria, Satoru and Shun (omf that relationship chart made me laugh because it's such a cluster). Well, in general, I'm excited to find out how the relationships are going to roll, and if their future discovery about the war will change things among them? And I can't wait to hear how the seiyuu for the grown-up versions of the characters are going to portray them. I've seen the designs on the official (?) website, and I'm liking what I see so far.

Shinsekai Yori has definitely caught my interest. The overall premise behind this show seems promising, and I think A-1 Pictures will do a good job with the animation and art. Not to mention the ED makes me tingle. The first time I heard part of it in one of the trailer, I was waiting to see if it was going to be the OP/ED or an insert. I've got high expectation for the OST of this series.

... idk why I even bothered writing such a long first impression, but fangirl mode out. (´ ▽`)
aokuroOct 1, 2012 4:21 PM
Oct 1, 2012 4:52 PM

Sep 2009
Quite an intriguing first episode. First episode was slightly confusing but things should hopefully clear up as the show goes on.
Oct 1, 2012 5:42 PM

Sep 2012
The ED is great.
The episode, quite interesting. Will keep watching.
Oct 1, 2012 6:27 PM

Sep 2010
I found it kinda meh, hope it gets better.
Oct 1, 2012 6:52 PM

Dec 2007
Interesting for a first episode. Nice ending. Hope it becomes more understanding in the later episodes.
Oct 1, 2012 7:47 PM
Jul 2018
Quite a potential: decent sci-fi elements, clean animation and some nice music here & there. Overall, the established setting & atmosphere is pretty damn awesome...
Oct 1, 2012 8:03 PM

Jan 2012
Shoujo_Q said:
MoonxArtemis said:

Because this anime is an adaptation of the novel, not the manga. The manga took extensive liberties with the story of the novel (and you'll notice its score on MAL is rather low), basically overloading the story with moe and fanservice in order to pander to that particular part of the audience.

How many volumes of the novel are there and are they all translated?
Oct 1, 2012 9:10 PM

Oct 2008
The source material is supposedly amazing so I will assume it was adaptation team that was not up to far.
The premise itself is a great one. Psychics, the supernatural, war, regression of society...
There were certain scenes that were well done, for instance the last scene before the ending showing the parents putting up a face to not worry their daughter.

But the character interactions so far are passable at best, even boring at times. None are particularly memorable so far.
The episode in general also lacked a flowing overarching purpose. Scenes did not flow well into each other and often seemed to have no relevance to each other. Perhaps this is due to not enough information, but I hope this is because this a mystery anime and that we will understand the details of what is happening.

Will give this one at least another episode.
Oct 1, 2012 9:48 PM

Jul 2012
scary scary
seems promising
Oct 2, 2012 4:49 AM

Sep 2010
A weird atmosphere. Feels like Kamisama Dolls and Fractale's a bit combined with the sci-fi.

Overall I don't really know what to say. The prologue was interesting, but not what the episode was about. I expect that the first episodes are the prologue though, in which they explain the past and that we eventually get to the moment where the real story starts, or something. Anyway, I think that watching some more eps won't be bad.

Omniknight said:
But the character interactions so far are passable at best, even boring at times. None are particularly memorable so far.
The episode in general also lacked a flowing overarching purpose. Scenes did not flow well into each other and often seemed to have no relevance to each other. Perhaps this is due to not enough information, but I hope this is because this a mystery anime and that we will understand the details of what is happening.
Exactly.
Oct 2, 2012 4:50 AM

Dec 2009
Going to be honest, didn't understand many things.

Gonna keep an eye but not hyped.
Oct 2, 2012 6:35 AM

Nov 2009
what I loved about this episode was the strong atmosphere ! I really liked this
the beginning reminded me of Elfen Lied
Oct 2, 2012 8:36 AM
Jul 2018
This show seems interesting even if i don't inderstand some things. I can't wait to see the next episodes.
Oct 2, 2012 11:38 AM

Apr 2012
Wow! the art is amazing. And the story looks interesting.

One question, what does the word "Juryoku' means?
Oct 2, 2012 12:13 PM

Aug 2011
FlashIzangi said:
Too bad there isn't a site that you can give you "assistance" with finding out... Maybe a search engine or something...
Oct 2, 2012 12:38 PM

Sep 2012
Really liked this episode, though I must admit I was a bit confused at what was going on at first. Though not much happened, the whole premise seems really interesting. I'm trying to focus on some of the smaller details because I have a feeling it'll be a really deep anime, and I don't want to miss anything. The art and visuals look great, and the ED was really good too. Overall looking forward to the next episode.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Oct 2, 2012 2:00 PM
Mar 2012
It seems the Crunchyroll/Horriblesubs release has different ending animation than the previous releases, the airing in Japan today also use the same animation. I wonder why the studio changed it?
Oct 2, 2012 2:03 PM
Nov 2011
melina_putri said:
It seems the Crunchyroll/Horriblesubs release has different ending animation than the previous releases, the airing in Japan today also use the same animation. I wonder why the studio changed it?
cause the previous ending had no animation at all?
Oct 2, 2012 2:07 PM

Jun 2012
Holy crap those first 3 minutes! I was eating cereal during that part and wasn't expecting all those kids to murder those civilians. What made me spit out my food was how stylized it was haha.

How much money does A-1 Pictures have? Between this and Sword Art Online, the production values on those shows are through the roof! There are so many subtle shots of characters making the slightest moves and there are some camera angles you normally don't see in anime.

Regardless, I find all of the students interesting in their own way with personalities that aren't that cliche. I'll probably need to watch this a second time cause it was packed with things you really need to be on the lookout for. This show is definitely not gonna be an easy watch for me at least.
Oct 2, 2012 2:28 PM

Sep 2011
Hybridbloodszak said:
Holy crap those first 3 minutes! I was eating cereal during that part and wasn't expecting all those kids to murder those civilians. What made me spit out my food was how stylized it was haha.

How much money does A-1 Pictures have? Between this and Sword Art Online, the production values on those shows are through the roof! There are so many subtle shots of characters making the slightest moves and there are some camera angles you normally don't see in anime.

Regardless, I find all of the students interesting in their own way with personalities that aren't that cliche. I'll probably need to watch this a second time cause it was packed with things you really need to be on the lookout for. This show is definitely not gonna be an easy watch for me at least.

Must have tons because they're also doing http://myanimelist.net/anime/14513/Magi airing in about 5 days.
Oct 2, 2012 3:23 PM

May 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't A-1 also do Fairy Tail? Along with Satelight, if I'm right. That probably earns them quite a bit of money~

I must admit that while not every character stands out yet, the presentation of this show is what is currently selling it. It has quite the nice lighting and some shots are just downright ~gorgeous~. It also helps the character interactions, especially during the psychic training scenes.

Also, guys, when this novel came out, people said that this would be nearly impossible to adapt into film, let alone an anime series. I think the ambition is clearly there and it has plenty more episodes to prove itself. I'm rather excited to see more.
Oct 2, 2012 3:36 PM

Jan 2010
I really enjoyed this first episode! The art is stunning and the plot holds tons of promise, can't wait to see more.
Oct 2, 2012 4:39 PM
Sep 2011
Huh wait this is going to be Yuri, I never guessed from the first episode, although I just saw it on crunchyroll and it was not in any way what I was expecting from the poster.
It seems my list of shows to watch this season is just getting bigger and bigger, I loved this first episode it had a kind of higurashi feel and was very creepy in a lot of moments, I really can't wait for episode 2 to come out.
5/5 first episode although I admit I really have a soft spot for anime that try to be horror-esque which I can feel from this show so I may be going a bit high here.

Just a question, is crunchyroll going to be a few days behind on this or was it given and early airing I am curious.
Oct 2, 2012 4:48 PM

Oct 2011
love the atmosphere *-* it's making me freak out tho.
Nope.
Oct 2, 2012 5:22 PM

Aug 2011
Didn't know what to expect, the atmosphere is incredible. I was feeling very uneasy in the first half with all the rituals and supernatural happenings. Quite freaky, quite dark. Quite good.

Beginning song and ED are great too.
Oct 2, 2012 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
Ooh, I like this one. It definitely had a "first episode-ish" feel to it and didn't reveal much about the characters or plot, but it has potential. The setting seems interesting, and it's got a nicely eerie, somewhat heavy atmosphere to it. The only thing I disliked was the last few seconds; the whole "and they never saw her again" narration seemed too heavy-handed for this series.
Oct 2, 2012 5:56 PM

Feb 2012
Reminiscent of The Giver in a way (for better or worse). The direction and pacing of this episode was off, but the premise is certainly interesting.
Oct 2, 2012 6:03 PM

Aug 2012
edl01 said:
Huh wait this is going to be Yuri, I never guessed from the first episode, although I just saw it on crunchyroll and it was not in any way what I was expecting from the poster.
It seems my list of shows to watch this season is just getting bigger and bigger, I loved this first episode it had a kind of higurashi feel and was very creepy in a lot of moments, I really can't wait for episode 2 to come out.
5/5 first episode although I admit I really have a soft spot for anime that try to be horror-esque which I can feel from this show so I may be going a bit high here.

Just a question, is crunchyroll going to be a few days behind on this or was it given and early airing I am curious.

I'm pretty sure this anime isn't a yuri.
I think only the manga is yuri.
The novel is more sci-fi-ish/fantasy so I doubt there's yuri elements.
Oct 2, 2012 6:25 PM

Feb 2012
I don't usually keep up with airing anime, but this season looks amazing and this is no exception. The first episode was quite good and I think it has a lot of potential. I'm definitely enjoying the music so far.
Oct 2, 2012 6:51 PM

Dec 2010
Shane777 said:
I don't usually keep up with airing anime, but this season looks amazing and this is no exception. The first episode was quite good and I think it has a lot of potential. I'm definitely enjoying the music so far.

Absolutely agree. I usually wait until the serie is already complete to start watching. But I saw the PV and couldn't sit and wait 'till there. Loved 1) the the dark style all over this episode 2) the supernatural school aspect (remembering me from Harry Potter ♥) and 3) ED song.
Oct 2, 2012 7:51 PM
Sep 2012
The ogre scares the shit out of me.

The music and story pulled me but i stayed for everything else. also you know the trickster cat could it potentially be that cat that gets blown up in the pv.
Oct 2, 2012 9:17 PM

Jul 2011
This entire show pisses me off for some reason. The idea that humanity gave up all their technology is pathetic. What a sad end to the human race, we just threw away all of the hard work to get to where we were. Actually, I think I know why I hated this so much. It has way too many similarities with The Giver which was one of the worst books I have ever read in my life. Nonetheless, I will watch the next episode to see how it progresses.
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
Oct 2, 2012 10:21 PM

Sep 2011
I don't see how this is rated so low. Show looks very promising, but this is MAL.
Oct 2, 2012 10:29 PM

Aug 2010
Tyrel said:
I don't see how this is rated so low. Show looks very promising, but this is MAL.

I agree, I saw the 7.5 and decided to check it out despite the rating. From the first episode this is definitely not a 7.5. It really stands out among the anime I've seen. I was expecting some lighthearted anime from the poster but this is giving off some strong Higurashi vibes
Oct 2, 2012 10:46 PM

Nov 2011
jrgcool35 said:
This entire show pisses me off for some reason. The idea that humanity gave up all their technology is pathetic. What a sad end to the human race, we just threw away all of the hard work to get to where we were. Actually, I think I know why I hated this so much. It has way too many similarities with The Giver which was one of the worst books I have ever read in my life. Nonetheless, I will watch the next episode to see how it progresses.

Its the first episode so we have no idea what really happened. Maybe they didn't give up their tech but it was taken away from them.
The Art of Eight
Oct 2, 2012 11:47 PM

Nov 2007
This show is really weird. A little creepy. I have no idea what's really going on, or what to think yet. I suppose I'll keep watching for now, but it didn't seem overly promising.
Oct 3, 2012 12:26 AM

Mar 2009
jBui said:
Shoujo_Q said:
MoonxArtemis said:

How many volumes of the novel are there and are they all translated?

It's a "normal" novel, not a light novel. I've heard of it being released in a 2-book set, but also in a 3-book set.

They are not translated, but may be released commercially in the West, especially if the anime goes off well (one of the author's other works has been released in English).

FlashIzangi said:

*puts on the Translator hat*

Literally it means "mystical force".
Commie translated it as "cursed power" (which has a negative connotation not present in 'juryoku'), UTW went with "Cantus" (a musical term) and Aidoru translated it as "the Force". I haven't seen Crunchyroll's release, so I can't comment on what they used.
Shoujo_QOct 3, 2012 12:30 AM
Oct 3, 2012 3:28 AM

Feb 2012
it was boring,to be honest.
Oct 3, 2012 4:00 AM

Mar 2011
Saturate said:
it was boring,to be honest.

You can say that, but It was only kinda introduction episode
Oct 3, 2012 4:08 AM

Aug 2012
I was entertained and that's all that matters. I have no idea what to expect next episode.
Oct 3, 2012 4:54 AM

Dec 2010
Rating anime shouldn't be allowed before it's finished
Oct 3, 2012 6:07 AM

Apr 2011
Awesome first episode, very intriguing. I look forward to seeing more.
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2012

299 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 3:45 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

517 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 3:31 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

364 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 2:29 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2012

281 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 12:48 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Oct 5, 2012

322 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 12:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.