Forum Settings
Forums

Is it possible to watch every anime? Would people believe it if you did?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 29, 2014 10:17 PM

Jun 2013
I don't think it's possible. There's so many anime out there that I don't think you would live long enough to see them all. Plus there's some anime that aren't on the internet so you won't be able to.
Nov 29, 2014 10:32 PM

Oct 2012
nope/10 we can't live forever, and even if we could... would you really want to?
Nov 29, 2014 11:41 PM

Jan 2014
the answer is no and no.

because:
1. you needs to be immortal to even do that
2. you needs to spend your whole lifetime only watching anime
3. there is many anime that have no dvd or download link everywhere
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Nov 29, 2014 11:57 PM

Jul 2014
Yes. that is if all anime is available and within your hand's reach,then it should take you 20-30 years to finish everything while catching up to the currently airing.

But that's kinda impossible.
Nov 30, 2014 12:07 AM

Nov 2012
It's technically possible, but it'd require dedication, especially if you want to be able to watch old, obscure shows that are hard to find. As for if people would believe you? Why does it matter?
Nov 30, 2014 3:14 AM

Oct 2014
I would be curious in knowing how long in hours/years all anime (minus H) added together equals to. I also what year was the breaking point where it no longer became possible to watch everything.
Nov 30, 2014 3:24 AM

Sep 2014
It would be possible, as long as those anime are in your life time.

Hell, I bet you'd even have some free time once you finish every anime.

All you have to do is live in Japan as a hikkimori anime otaku.
Also, don't forget about the gal games, you still have to conquer 2D girls.

On another note though, I noticed nearly half of your anime list is anime movies with 138 anime completed. In other words, you had 4 years to build up your list (average of by the least, 800-1k series/movies)
Nov 30, 2014 3:25 AM

Sep 2014
Nefarious-Review said:
I would be curious in knowing how long in hours/years all anime (minus H) added together equals to. I also what year was the breaking point where it no longer became possible to watch everything.

It depends, if you consider not being able to process what's actually happening but is able to see through the eyes then I'd say a pretty damn old age.
Nov 30, 2014 3:48 AM

Jul 2010
Nefarious-Review said:

Did some math based on my stats on anidb and to complete all entries that are there, you would need 2231 days (53542 hours). But that includes hentai. Of course its not 100% accurate. According my stats I have watched 21212/149599 episodes that are in the database which is 14,17% of whole anidb. That took me 7587 hours of watchtime. What is not accurate in this case is that duration of each episode differs so its hard to say how many hours exactly would it take to watch those remaining episodes.
_Dan_Nov 30, 2014 3:55 AM
Nov 30, 2014 4:26 AM

Dec 2013
1 - I don't think it's realistically possible. Your list is currently at 138 completed. You'd have a long way to go.

2 - Anime doesn't take that long to watch, you can clear a 12 episode series in 4 hours. I've only ever seen one person who I thought was bullshitting but that's because he had something like 20 thousand complete (Forget the exact number) He had clicked everything possible, OVA's, Music, Anime, Hentai etc and was asking for donations for a server.

The point is if you have seen the Anime, you can prove it by simply talking about it.... You don't need a list to prove it.
Feel free to message me to chat.
Nov 30, 2014 6:46 AM

Nov 2014
Well it's impossible. You'd likely have to devote your whole life to it, plus you'd have to watch weird crap.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 30, 2014 7:05 AM

Nov 2009
No
-☾✩
Feb 3, 2016 12:42 PM

Oct 2013
i think when people have seen like 6000 anime series it like includes music videos, ovas and movies
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 3, 2016 12:45 PM

Oct 2015
That would be most likely impossible.

so, nope. haha.
Feb 3, 2016 12:48 PM

Jul 2013
Sure, if you have no life. Otherwise, I don't see how one can manage that. That's a cool goal though.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Feb 3, 2016 12:51 PM

Mar 2015
it technicaly can, but doesnt mean they can. how about unsubbed anime? or anime without raws? or anime that totaly lost?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 3, 2016 12:54 PM

Mar 2012
At this stage...i would say no...as of the moment we have about 8500 anime series,ovas and movies...and it is still rising an average of 30 to 50 per season....there is just no way u can catch up to that along with the steady rise on new series per season.

At best you might be able to catch up and have a steady pace of 10 to 30% of the industry but there is no way in hell u can watch all of them.
Feb 4, 2016 11:32 PM
Jul 2018
Since there is new anime constantly being produced and released, no. No matter how much time and effort is put forth, because of the supply and demand for it, there will always be new series, and those new series will pile and pile, and pile, and pile (get the gist?)
Feb 5, 2016 12:20 AM

Apr 2015
whats with all the necro-post??
i know me commenting isnt helping but come one people!!!! does no one check the date? ive skimmed through this post (seriously, wasn't hard to do. and im probably the only one who ever does this considering what i read) and all i see are people reviving this post with the same answer over and over again!! i meannn friggen 2013!!!!

but well since im here ranting/ bumping the thread, ill answer.
no its impossible. i had the same dream but considering the amount of anime that comes out every season along with whats already aired. its impossible.

i dont even know why I answered
i am almost certain the next person to post will probably skip even my comment, and post something identical to my answer, and then it'll continue.
Mkim said:
I only beat off to 180 year old woman,
that's like 10 times legal age so I'm 10 times a good citizen who's not going to jail.
Kyubey said:
◕ ‿‿ ◕ do you want to be a mahou shoujo?
Feb 5, 2016 4:28 AM

Aug 2009
I don't think anyone can.

1.You first have to be able fluently understand Japanese because most anime are not subbed. You would also have to be able t fluently be able to read Japanese because many anime were made during the silent movie era.

2. You would have to be able to tolerate other genre, and repeat stories and animation styles.

3.You would have to be immortal because there is no way you would be able to watch all anime in a average human lifespan.

4.You would have to be a time traveler because many anime were lost.
Feb 5, 2016 4:29 AM

Jul 2013
no way it's possibruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 5, 2016 8:59 AM

Nov 2015
Good luck with boku no pico bro. And, to be honest, its not possible, you should watch anime with no break time a few years ;p
MY ANIME LIST

Feb 5, 2016 9:06 AM
Aug 2014
It is possible and you dont have to be immortal
i remember that at anitay from kotaku there was a bunch of people who calculated it and if you assume you are a NEET that spends its whole waking hours except food and bathroom breaks you would have catched up with every anime there was till this day and all that aired in between until about 2030
so no, its (at least technically) not impossible
Feb 5, 2016 2:21 PM
Jul 2014
it's possible! but for some u have to go to japan and buy some animes that aren't on the net and someone there might have them on VHS, DVD, etc...

btw its a stupid dream and waste of time because you are obliged to watch every shitty anime u dont like... for example if i dont like an anime, wether i am at ep 1 or ep10, i drop it!!, because i cant get concentrated watching something i dislike, and would rather go watch something better to my likes :)
Feb 5, 2016 2:24 PM

Feb 2014
god no

but i'll pray for anyone who wants to try
Feb 5, 2016 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
omg why would anyone want to watch all anime ever existed...
Feb 5, 2016 2:55 PM
Aug 2013
It's impossible considering that you have to work, sleep and sometimes take a break to maintain your eyes and brain healthy. Additionally, fair amount of older shows isn't available and watching everything seasonally consumes some hours each week.
Feb 5, 2016 3:00 PM

Jun 2013
It's impossible

(It would be better with just 10 characters)
Feb 5, 2016 3:12 PM

May 2009
Even if you're immortal, you'll commit suicide because of too many anime consumption.
Feb 5, 2016 3:24 PM

May 2014
leNerd said:
It is possible and you dont have to be immortal
i remember that at anitay from kotaku there was a bunch of people who calculated it and if you assume you are a NEET that spends its whole waking hours except food and bathroom breaks you would have catched up with every anime there was till this day and all that aired in between until about 2030
so no, its (at least technically) not impossible
The problem is that many anime have been lost
Feb 5, 2016 6:35 PM

Dec 2012
No it's not possible to watch every anime because everyone will eventually die and anime will be made after they die, which, being dead, they won't be able to watch.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Feb 5, 2016 7:09 PM

Apr 2015
based on our current technology you can watch more than 10 anime on a single largest monitor available.
the drawback is that you will not be able to understand what you are watching.
internet is a cruel mistress
Feb 6, 2016 3:31 AM

Dec 2015
It's impossible. Especially because there are lots of anime that you may not even heard of.
Feb 6, 2016 3:35 AM

Dec 2015
I cant even finish 5 fking anime series in a month. Those that can marathon naruto and other 300+ series, I bow down to u. Coz I cant
Feb 6, 2016 6:44 AM

Apr 2010
There are so many, most of them surely aren't even subbed. And I don't think there's some who'll love them all.

Feb 6, 2016 6:47 AM

Apr 2014
A lot of anime are already lost in time, due to ww2 (Maybe) or lack of care. So yes, it is impossible.
Feb 6, 2016 7:49 PM

Apr 2015
It's impossible to watch ALL of them.

Unless you're immortal or something.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Feb 9, 2016 4:24 PM

Jul 2009
tHe-OTAKU- said:
So, one of the goals I've had since I've been about 12 years old, is to watch every anime (and read every manga)...

Watching every anime sounds like a though goal. How about you choose one of the top achievements on malgraph and try to achieve that? I think The Legend is possible and you really would be a legend ^_^

nameaFeb 9, 2016 4:36 PM
Feb 9, 2016 4:30 PM

Mar 2015
There are hundreds are anime that are still untranslated, for example a show called SPT Layzner, it came out in 1985. It didn't start getting a sub until last decade, and only finished 2 years ago. And most 70s and early 80s shows get left unsubbed. Most post 2000s shows get subbed though. There's even anime that are no where online, or atleast will take A LOT of searching to find.

But watching every anime will be impossible if you plan to do other things, like sleep. Unless literally all you do in your life is watch anime then you can't do it.
Feb 9, 2016 4:36 PM

Oct 2014
I'll guess that there's probably only about 30-40 years worth of anime listed on MAL and maybe twice that if you include doujinshi. There's only about 100 new TV series each year which roughly translates to about 20 days worth. Compared to film where there is a good 1000+ years worth already in existence and about 1.2 years worth made each year there isn't that much anime. The main problem with trying to watch every anime isn't how much time it will take to watch them but rather the fact that many either don't exist anymore or are not available in English or outside of Japan.

A time machine would be more important than immortality if you want to watch every anime.
Feb 9, 2016 4:53 PM

Sep 2014
Nah... people are skeptical :3 If they believe you that you were able to watch every anime series then its simple they will believe you otherwise not; however, I can definitely say that is is impossible because "Sazae-san" series is an on-going series that holds the longest running anime series that has over 7000 episodes, and if you can imagine there are some people saying that One Piece or Detective Conan is to hassle to watch because it is more than a hundred episode unless you are dedicated but image Sazae-san series is 10 times more than One Piece or Detective Conan xD
Feb 9, 2016 5:21 PM

Feb 2016
Why would you watch all animes in the world ?
Watch the best animes before, it will take ages !!!
Nya
Nya Nya !
Feb 9, 2016 5:26 PM

Oct 2014
Xeraeulius said:
Nah... people are skeptical :3 If they believe you that you were able to watch every anime series then its simple they will believe you otherwise not; however, I can definitely say that is is impossible because "Sazae-san" series is an on-going series that holds the longest running anime series that has over 7000 episodes, and if you can imagine there are some people saying that One Piece or Detective Conan is to hassle to watch because it is more than a hundred episode unless you are dedicated but image Sazae-san series is 10 times more than One Piece or Detective Conan xD
Sazae-san has a fairly similar style to The Simpsons and it will often parody contemporary media such as books, movies, and other anime. Many of the things it has parodied were soon forgotten. Because of this many of the episodes have been intentionally removed from the public. Sazae-san is impossible to watch in its entirety.
Feb 9, 2016 6:07 PM

Sep 2014
zombie_pegasus said:
Xeraeulius said:
Sazae-san has a fairly similar style to The Simpsons and it will often parody contemporary media such as books, movies, and other anime. Many of the things it has parodied were soon forgotten. Because of this many of the episodes have been intentionally removed from the public. Sazae-san is impossible to watch in its entirety.

Dayumn! I see so thats how they were able to generate those huge amount of episodes xD
Feb 9, 2016 6:14 PM

Aug 2013
Might be possible if I can train my eyes to watch at superhuman speed.

But i cant.
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Feb 9, 2016 6:44 PM

Oct 2013
After three years ... it's still impossible.
Feb 16, 2016 8:12 AM

Sep 2012
Wow, people bumped the shit out of this thread XD I actually forgot about it, but thanks for all the replies over the years, haha. It was interesting to read all these :)

EDIT:

namea said:
tHe-OTAKU- said:
So, one of the goals I've had since I've been about 12 years old, is to watch every anime (and read every manga)...

Watching every anime sounds like a though goal. How about you choose one of the top achievements on malgraph and try to achieve that? I think The Legend is possible and you really would be a legend ^_^

I don't have as much time to watch anime as I used to, but maybe I'll reach 'Legend' level one day! XD Who knows.
tHe-OTAKU-Feb 16, 2016 8:20 AM
Feb 16, 2016 8:18 AM
Jan 2016
I hardly find time to watch 1 cour anime. So for me it's impossible
Feb 16, 2016 8:49 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
So, how close are you to the goal, OP?

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Mar 20, 2016 5:37 PM
Jul 2015
Its not only possible, but can be done wihout wasting your entire life.
Based on one of the earliest replies and what I've found, here are essencially 7000 some odd anime. By his calculation, it'd take 3 years of going blind, starving, and well, just being dead. Now, lets lessen our load to 3 hrs a day, because let's be honest, even 6 hrs a day will kill your soul the way we are going to do this. Now, it'll only take you 24 years to watch everything, plus 5 or so to keep up with current anime, so we'll estimate 30 years. That's nothing. But lets assume you dont want to be doing this every day for 30 years and want to just do it on the weekends (to keep up to date) once you finish and thus need to finish sometime before you're too old to have a kid (because you wont be able to accomplish this whilst raisig a baby unless you abandon the mother long enough to finish your mission.
So what do we do, Laroon? You might ask. Well, I propose that a massive majority of anime is straight up garbage. So, we get 4 screens and watch 4 animes at once. But wont it be hard to pay attention and appreciate them? No, because you are starting with the garbage, so you neither need to appreciate nor will hey truly require all that much attention.
First, we watch all the hentai (which you could probably get away with 20 or so screens to speed things up). Hentai all has the same goal, to get you off. Whether you do any of that during his phase is up to you, but you're going to get aids just watching them, so yea. Also, if you are not fluent in Japanese, be sure to watch dubbed (dubbed hentai is creepy, but get over it). Once you finish all he dubbed, do the same with the remaining hentai subbed, but use only one screen, have the play speed on ×4 and have the subs set to linger, so you can know what is going on (going regular speed through plot bits and ×16 through sexy bits would work too). Quick note, you should have the screens equally spaced around you with stereo sound. Dont use headphones or surround sound as you wont be able to differentiate between the shows.
Now, follow that same process for kidshows, then moe garbage, then long runners (naruto, bleach, one piece, etc). For shows with non existing episodes, whatch what the internet provides and we'll get back to them. Next, you are going to do research to make a list of anime that is just plain trash. Everything of a genuine genre that just shits on the genre. Now use hat process on those.
Once youve sifted through all that slime, what will remain are mediocre to amazing anime.
Depending on your attention span and how many screens you used, that should take anywhere from five to 10 years, and you've already seen most of anime.
For what remains, watch by genre. Start with the genres you are less interested in. Make lists of all the anime in each genre grading them on a 5 scale based on Internet consensus, start with the lousy shows with multiple screens and as you reach better shows, reduce the number of screens until you are watching the good stuff. Repeat for every genre. This should take another 2 to 10 years.
Now, all hat remian are new anime and extinct anime. For newer anime, spend 6 hrs extra on weekends to keep up to date. For old anime, hit he forums, hunt them down. If they are bonefide gone, then they no longer count towards the list of all anime. By the end of it, you will have experienced 99.999% of all anime and you will probably feel proud? It will only take between 7 to 20ish years. Watching with 4 screens till the end will only take up 6 years.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

103 by trinitroglycerin »»
4 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 3 )

707supremacist - May 5

131 by samot-frt »»
9 minutes ago

» What views on anime make you feel like some 2nd century Christian who rejects most of the gospels on obscure gnostic grounds.

vasipi4946 - 10 hours ago

11 by Guilmon1 »»
14 minutes ago

» Anime and Manga might be the worst medium ever at judging attractiveness.

isseixkoneko - 11 hours ago

12 by DigiCat »»
57 minutes ago

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day? ( 1 2 )

RedTea33 - May 30

77 by _--UwU--_ »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.