Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 24, 2013 2:53 AM

May 2011
athetosis said:
anyone else notice the false minoshiro at the end there?

Yep, it's desperation time. They need intelligence to deal with the threat they are in. The first thing they need is to find out how to stop the fiend. The False Minoshiro might be the only thing that has the detailed knowledge they need to combat that threat.

If they can deal with the fiend, then they can deal with queerat threat and recover the missing children.
Feb 24, 2013 2:55 AM
Jan 2013
katsucats said:
dankickyou said:
katsucats said:

3) If the fiend isn't a real fiend, then how did he kill Shisei with Cantus leakage? If it's a Karmic Demon, then why aren't the queerats affected by the leakage equally like Shun's town?

He really isnt a fiend IMO. Seems more like an untempered PK user like those before the fall of the Slave Empires.
Cantus leakage would signify a Karmic Demon, would it not? Didn't Shun involuntarily destroy his entire town? How would this "fiend" not have the same effect?

It would have the same effect and that's why the Cantus humans think that that kid is a fiend, but he probably isn't. It's remarked in the show several times that during the Slave Empire days, most Cantus users could not control their Cantus very well. One of the examples the show brought up was a Holy Cherry Blossom Empire ruler who was so powerful that his Cantus would lash out at random and kill people. Part of the transition from the rule of the Slave Empires to the current rule was in having humans control their Cantus leakage.

This was the function of the "mantras". If you notice, each of the Cantus users mouth a mantra in order to invoke Cantus (most obviously in Episode 20 where Satoru blows up that weird mutant ink spewing thing). Rijin tried to seal the Cantus of the kids during the BNZ war arc, but Saki was able to bring back their Cantus abilities by reminding them of their mantras. The mantras are just used as forms of hypnosis that allow the Cantus users to deploy their Cantus at will. The "fiend" that the BNZ raised however hasn't been hypnotized in this fashion and so doesn't control his/her Cantus. It leaks out everywhere.

One thing that seems really obvious to me though is that no-one in their society really understands the function of the mantras. If anything, I feel like only the Temple of Purification understands the function of the mantras and withholds the information from the actual Kamisu residents in an attempt to keep them from realizing that the natural state of the Cantus user is unrestricted Cantus flow. It's my belief that the Temple of Purification is the *actual* body of power that controls human society and that the Kamisus are just governments that abide by the restrictions of the Temples of Purification. This is just my theory though.

Shun, on the other hand, couldn't control his Cantus. Despite being hypnotized and taught how to control his Cantus he just couldn't keep it inside. It's like a person that can't control his hunger or sexual urges and has to kill to satiate himself despite trying to keep himself content. Shun just can't stop his Cantus from leaking no matter what. Shun's leaking Cantus kills his parents and probably damages/warps most of his village, and eventually ends up killing himself.

It's really a tragedy that the humans are so clueless and defenseless due to their own stupidity. Even Kaburagi Shisei who seemed so competent and had the idea that there may be a rogue Cantus user could do absolutely nothing to stop the "fiend".
Feb 24, 2013 3:22 AM
Jun 2012
dankickyou said:

how the 3 warriors were able to kill the Emperor of Merciful Light with swords. Speaking of which I wonder what happened to the non-cantus humans, we know that they existed after the war and was instrumental in destroying the slave empires.

Well, 1, they were around then, 2, they're not around anymore, and 3, it's rather unlikely they all just decided to lie down and die. So genocide would be your likely answer. Why have non magic using humans as slaves when you can have bakenezumi slaves? Note that children which doesn't get magic powers when they hit puberty is killed, and clearly, without magic, it's not because they are dangerous. First thing we see in the anime, really.
Feb 24, 2013 3:42 AM

Apr 2012
Yakomaru: I think the best way to think of him is "the enemy which the 'humans' deserve". When the 'humans' treat the queerats like nonhumans, a figure like Yakomaru is the only one who has a chance of leading a successful revolution. A Ghandi-like figure would just get exterminated. It's the 'humans' who have made Yakomaru.

That's why revolution is so difficult when facing a genuinely uncaring foe. If a people have been sufficiently brutalised, then brutality will always be at the forefront of what they know. It's the same for societies as individuals. Having 'gods' who will wipe out every last person in a queerat colony makes it impossible for a principled politician to succeed. Imagine if, wherever you live, there was a foreign army which issued orders to your country and just nuked towns if they were disobedient. Would you vote for a resistance leader whose main selling point was their strict adherence to principle? Or would you just vote for the best chance of victory?
Feb 24, 2013 3:50 AM
Feb 2013
hmmm so Yakomaru is gonna raise an army of fiends? arn't they just gonna go berserk and wipe out all the rats too?
Feb 24, 2013 3:50 AM
Feb 2013
ToriFuda said:
I think a question that none of us have asked is, what exactly is the role of the Temples of Purification? It seems like the Temple of Purification never seems to interfere with Kamisu 66's leadership. They also seem to know a lot about things in the world that no-one else seems to have a clue about. The Temple of Purification lies outside of the sacred barrier in Kamisu 66 at that. I feel like the Temples of Purification might be the actual remnants of the old scientists civilization, and that the Temples of Purification maintains the technology and knowledge of the humans.

Good thinking. Yes, it could well be that they're something special, and the keepers of the old knowledge (though I didn't see much technology used there neither). As for the purification; it is clearly a conditioning, but contrary to some posters here, I do not think it has anything directly to do with the death feedback. It would make more sense for it to be biological/genetic in nature.

eminagnam said:
AnimageNeby said:
Your assertion that I'm wrong is not being substantiated by logical arguments. :-)

In reciprocity, let me say: I'm right.

That even not all humans follow their own moral isn't a real argument: those that do not follow even their own morals, we find immoral too. In fact, it strengthens my case, thus.

You are also confounding the moral cause of the claim that sentient beings should be free, with the means to do it. It must be apparent that, even if the cause could be claimed moral, therefore the means that are used to get to that cause can still be immoral. Otherwise, the adagio that the goal justifies the (any) means, would be accepted. If that stance is accepted, in reciprocity, someone else can claim - with as much right - that whatever he does is morally right, because it serves *his* goal, including killing you and your family, for instance. Thus, we can see that such a reasoning of arbitrarily chosen morals which are dependent on an equally arbitrary goal, where it isn't even deemed immoral to go against ones' own morals, leads to the simple conclusion that the one with the most power is morally right.

In that case, if the cantus-users win, they are morally right, if the rats do, they are.

I, for one, do not think that the will/dominance of the most powerful constitutes an inherent morality, though. Might does not make right. (Although, of course, in human history, it is often proclaimed and seen as such).

While morals differ from culture to culture, and time to time, in any society there always has been a set of morals to follow, whatever they might have been. And in any society those who disregarded their own proclaimed morals, are viewed as immoral. It would be hard to claim that such things do not apply to a rats' society, since they too, obviously, have and seek the administering of morals - even pretty human-like ones, like the concept of free will on an individual basis, as Squeeler proclaimed to be of ethical value. In fact, I don't think it's possible for a society of social beings to have and maintain a society, without a code of conduct, and thus, also morals.

Same to you Your assertion that I'm wrong is not being substantiated by logical arguments. You just drag your personal and subjective belief into arguments. Morals and persona have nothing to do with validity in this case. It is a fact that they have been suppressed by humans. Thus it is valid they rebel against humans.

What do you mean? I gave my logical arguments right after the claim I made. This isn't for some silly yes-no game, I was merely stating a fact.

You argued that I was wrong because even humans (like politicians) don't follow their own rules. I countered that by pointing out that those people that don't follow their own morals are considered immoral too. Hence: my argument that Squeeler didn't follow his morals and thus should be considered immoral remains valid, since you did nothing to counter it. How is that not logical?

Furthermore, I've argued that while morals and conduct may differ from culture to culture, and time to time, the fact remains that every socially structured society *did* have morals and ethics, whatever they were, and those that went against it, were - obviously - deemed immoral. This too is pure logic.

And lastly, I also argumented that even if a goal would be deemed morally right (as you claimed the goal of 'liberation' of Squeeler is), it does not mean that the actions to arrive at that goal are done in a moral or ethical way. And if one *does* argument that, that it boils down to 'the goal justifies the means', and that ultimately boils down to whoever got the power is 'morally right', since arbitrarily chosen goals can then justify any measures and actions taken. This too, is blatantly obvious and logically consistent.

So how do you come to the conclusion that I didn't offer logical arguments?

Compare this to your last statement, and you will see there is no counterargument given there. You merely assert once more, that because their goal is right, the actions they take are right too. Hence my last argument which counters that. It's quite easy to understand that this ('goal justifies the means') is not the case, as a principle. For instance, take another example: if it would be morally justified to kill a terrorist, but to get him you have to drop a nuclear bomb on a city, killing millions, none will argue and claim that that action was morally justified, even if the goal of killing that terrorist was deemed morally justified.

Mind you: I DO agree that Squeeler had a point; I even said so numerous times. But having a valid point and how you act on that, are different things. Its not because his (stated) goal is right, that he is morally justified in doing anything to get to that goal. Furthermore, it says nothing about the individual morals he has; seen his hypocrisy and his disregard for his own stated morals and the fact that for him it's not about liberation but domination, he should be considered immoral - not from a purely human standpoint, but from the standpoint of logical reasoning.
AnimageNebyFeb 24, 2013 5:55 AM
Feb 24, 2013 4:05 AM

Sep 2012
I am still holding on to a tiny hope that Maria and Mamoru are still alive and all that stuff about the bones not being fake were lies. If it turns out they really are dead I will be even more devastated... This series man... Despair inducing o(╥﹏╥)o
Feb 24, 2013 4:10 AM
Jun 2012
katsucats said:
What gives Yakumoru the confidence to be able to control every fiend? Even if they are raised by the queerat colonies, fiends are unstable by nature and unable to control their Cantuses

I believe him to be naïve, a bit of a fanatic. If it had been only one human, he could have killed it once victory was assured, but with many? There is no way he can control that. Seems like he has no understanding of the problems that faced human society and if he only brings them up in the new bakenezumi society as equals everything will just work out.
Feb 24, 2013 4:12 AM

Apr 2011
Mikuo_Chan said:
I am still holding on to a tiny hope that Maria and Mamoru are still alive and all that stuff about the bones not being fake were lies. If it turns out they really are dead I will be even more devastated... This series man... Despair inducing o(╥﹏╥)o

ahuh..ahuh..
I'm still hoping that Maria and Mamoru are still alive but there's no hint about where are they :|
Feb 24, 2013 4:17 AM

Apr 2012
*Wonders whether the child of Maria and Mamoru is denied any access to mirrors.*
Feb 24, 2013 5:05 AM

Nov 2011
logopolis said:
*Wonders whether the child of Maria and Mamoru is denied any access to mirrors.*

^the exploding fishes look nothing like a queerat either. He was probably lead to believe he is a mutant...instead of explosion, psychic powers!
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Feb 24, 2013 5:44 AM
Feb 2013
katsucats said:
OK, I read over some of the responses, but here is where I am still confused.

1) It never said a week, I was just assuming it should've been a time period of relative urgency, considering the Board of Education gave Saki and Satoru only 3 days to find their friends, and it would be, in my opinion, unrealistic for the Board to wait 9 months after that to demand their remains.

2) Regarding death feedback, I do remember in one of the earlier episodes the Fake Minoshiro's detailed how the human DNA was genetically altered to possess the Death Feedback. But even if there's a hypnotism aspect to it --and there's nothing in the anime to really suggest there is-- then how will Yakomaru know how to harness that technique? Admittedly this is nitpicking a bit, but considering how the anime specifically said that Death Feedback is a biological response and didn't say anything about social conditioning, I'm more inclined to believe that it's just an unexplained plot hole.

3) If the fiend isn't a real fiend, then how did he kill Shisei with Cantus leakage? If it's a Karmic Demon, then why aren't the queerats affected by the leakage equally like Shun's town?

Well, there you go. If nothing was said about a week (or any other time-indication), it's more logical to assume that at least 9 months had passed (pregnancy). Which also makes more sense, because, if only bones were found, it would be difficult to explain after a week why only bones remained, and nothing of the rest of the corpse (certainly if berried under a snow-avalanche). While after a year or so, it would be deemed nothing surprising. The board of education only said they had to return in 4 days, they can't really demand the corpses are to be found within a week, if one does not know where the corpses are buried, after all. Saki and Saturo probably only said they followed the trail and saw a snow-avalanche and that they are probably dead. What can the board do, then? They can search the place, but they can not 'demand' the corpses are found if nobody knows where to find them. Then, after a year, Squeeler suddenly with news: "Oh, our clan has found the remains of humans, maybe it are those kids', and the board investigates and says: 'yes, it are those. Case closed.'

That's in a nutshell what happened.

Anyway, it makes more sense to give credence that a year or so passed, instead of only a week. In that case, everything would be explained perfectly.

Concerning point 2; I do not think the conditioning plays a major role in the death feedback. Maybe it reinforces subconsciously the fact that humans shouldn't kill humans, but it's not an integral part of the death feedback. the primary use of it, seems to be the possibility of containing the use of their cantus, as the monk has shown us. Squeeler doesn't have to know those rituals and hypnotism, because he doesn't intend to limit or inhibit the us of the cantus. In any case, it's not necessary to have an influence on the death-feedback itself, since that is done by a biological imprinting mechanism.

As for 3, I'm a bit puzzled in regard to the use of the term 'catnus leakage' too. I had the impression it was something only karma demons were capable of, but maybe we're wrong in that assumption. Maybe it just wants to say that the fiend used a pure cantus attack, distorting things directly, through cantus. This in contrast to the use of physical attacks induced by cantus, of which they said Shisei could hold his ground to the fiend.
AnimageNebyFeb 25, 2013 10:32 AM
Feb 24, 2013 6:36 AM

Oct 2008
Cantus leakage was presented in the show as a natural phenomenon, and the very reason for building the Holy Barriers. I believe it was Shun who explained it to Saki, but it was also repeated when Maria and Mamoru crossed the Barrier. The Holy Barrier is meant to divide the Earth in two parts for every of its human inhabitants: the inside world, which is "theirs", safe and familiar because of its strict rules, and the scary outside of the Barrier, where their Cantus leak. This natural Cantus leakage was responsible for the mutants such as minoshiro or bakenezumi.
In a result the environment we see in the show is visibly altered from the present world. But this does not justify the new mutants used by the queerrats, such as the giant squid-like creatures (possibly evolved versions of the blowdogs), in which case the mutation must have went rapidly.
My explanation to these changes is some great Cantus leakage, which was used by the queerrats to fasten the mutation process. But what would be the source of such a leakage? On the one hand, we have Karma Demons, and the first one of this kind we could think about is obviously Shun. What if he somehow lives on in the creepy, twisted underwater kingdom he built himself years ago?
On the other hand, imagine what happens to a Cantus when its user has lost their consciousness for years. The power within them is still alive, leaking slowly through the neither living, nor death body and altering its surroundings with a greater power than it normally does. This effect would be multiplied when occurring outside the Holy Barrier.
I know there is a very little chance of this happening, but imagine that the queerrats have lobotomized Maria in exactly the same way they did it to their queens...
Feb 24, 2013 6:36 AM

Sep 2012
I just skimmed over that section of the novel again. No spoilers, just confirmation. No demand is made with regards to time. Only odd thing is that Saki recalls Yakomaru saying, "It took quite some time to construct them, however, to do a good job as they did not know how to prepare the bones. When they are delivered perhaps they will receive full understanding of the situation..." Then they arrive and there is no mistake, DNA testing says it is 100% certain they are the remains of Maria and Mamoru but he seemed to be making excuses for the time.

Feb 24, 2013 7:21 AM

Oct 2008
Well, at least Saki the character is now 26 years old. Saki the narrator, voiced by Aya Endo, is 36.
I thought this (second) time skip rather intriguing in connection to the revelations we all learned in this episode. The kids were 12 years old when their Cantuses awakened, at least Saki (she was a little behind, sure, but I don't think the Ethics Committee would let her live for two years long without any Cantus activity - or would it?). It was twelve years from the Maria and Mamoru's escape. And suddenly the anime is all about ten years process in order to harvest the captured human children along with their Cantuses? Hm.
Another thing that caught my eye was the problem with Maria's remains. From my limited archaeological and medical knowledge because of visible physiological changes in a women's skeleton it would be easy to tell her pregnancy (if they have DNA-testing, what's the big deal?). So the bones the queerrats sent must have been either incomplete, or fabricated.
PawiookaFeb 24, 2013 8:02 AM
Feb 24, 2013 7:34 AM

Sep 2012
He actually says "manufacture" in her memory of it which seems like an odd choice of words but he speaks oddly so... It didn't seem that odd at the time and Saki offers no more analysis to that point.
hpulleyFeb 24, 2013 7:54 AM
Feb 24, 2013 7:52 AM

Jul 2009
wonder how much babies they manage to snag. Was it only from that one village or from everywhere.
Feb 24, 2013 7:55 AM
Dec 2012
AnimageNeby said:
What do you mean? I gave my logical arguments right after the claim I made. This isn't for some silly yes-no game, I was merely stating a fact.

You argued that I was wrong because even humans (like politicians) don't follow their own rules. I countered that by pointing out that those people that don't follow their own morals are considered immoral too. Hence: my argument that Squeeler didn't follow his morals and thus should be considered immoral remains valid, since you did nothing to counter it. How is that not logical?

Furthermore, I've argued that while morals and conduct may differ from culture to culture, and time to time, the fact remains that every socially structured society *did* have morals and ethics, whatever they were, and those that went against it, were - obviously - deemed immoral. This too is pure logic.

And lastly, I also argumented that even if a goal would be deemed morally right (as you claimed the goal of 'liberation' of Squeeler is), it does not mean that the actions to arrive at that goal are done in a moral or ethical way. And if one *does* argument that, that it boils down to 'the goal justifies the means', and that ultimately boils down to whoever got the power is 'morally right', since arbitrarily chosen goals can then justify any measures and actions taken. This too, is blatantly obvious and logically consistent.

Compare this to your last statement, and you will see there is no counterargument given there. You merely assert once more, that because their goal is right, the actions they take are right too. Hence my last argument which counters that. It's quite easy to understand that this ('goal justifies the means') is not the case, as a principle. For instance, take another example: if it would be morally justified to kill a terrorist, but to get him you have to drop a nuclear bomb on a city, killing millions, none will argue and claim that that action was morally justified, even if the goal of killing that terrorist was deemed morally justified.

Mind you: I DO agree that Squeeler had a point; I even said so numerous times. But having a valid point and how you act on that, are different things. Its not because his (stated) goal is right, that he is morally justified in doing anything to get to that goal. Furthermore, it says nothing about the individual morals he has; seen his hypocrisy and his disregard for his own stated morals and the fact that for him it's not about liberation but domination, he should be considered immoral - not from a purely human standpoint, but from the standpoint of logical reasoning.

What? I gave a clear explanation though you didn't understand. You said he should follow morals, which is your personal opinion. He is immoral? So what? It's meaningless to say he should follow morals cuz he doesn't listen to you. In other words, you can't control him.
Feb 24, 2013 9:28 AM

Jun 2009
Digging through my folder... Found this...

RIP kids...

Aonuma Shun, Akizuki Maria, Itou Mamoru... I want to believe you guys are still out there... How much I wish to see a reunion...

The evidence of their death seemed far too overwhelming now... I don't think they're alive anymore...

I really do miss all of you...
AirStylesFeb 24, 2013 9:45 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 24, 2013 10:36 AM
Feb 2013
hpulley said:
I just skimmed over that section of the novel again. No spoilers, just confirmation. No demand is made with regards to time. Only odd thing is that Saki recalls Yakomaru saying, "It took quite some time to construct them, however, to do a good job as they did not know how to prepare the bones. When they are delivered perhaps they will receive full understanding of the situation..." Then they arrive and there is no mistake, DNA testing says it is 100% certain they are the remains of Maria and Mamoru but he seemed to be making excuses for the time.

You have the full novel, translated? I only found little snibbits of it online. You wouldn't happen to have a link, do you? :-)

I'm glad there was no (short) timeperiod being mentioned; that would have made it problematic. As far as I remember, neither was it mentioned in the anime. So we can safely assume about a year passed before the bones were 'found'.

Another poster said that with our current technology, it's possible to ascertain if someone has been pregnant. This is true, and I've been wondering about it as well. Maybe they just didn't check, or maybe their technological advance isn't high enough anymore to detect such a thing, or the knowledge simply isn't there anymore.

eminagnam said:
AnimageNeby said:

What? I gave a clear explanation though you didn't understand. You said he should follow morals, which is your personal opinion. He is immoral? So what? It's meaningless to say he should follow morals cuz he doesn't listen to you. In other words, you can't control him.

I'm sorry, but you've lost me there. What does it have anything to do with how meaningless it is, and whether or not he would listen to me?? 'He' is an anime/novel character; I hardly think anyone would expect him to do anything in regard to what we say; it's up to the creator of the novel what Squeeler will or won't do. That's completely besides the point, thus. Furthermore, I never said anything about me wanting him to do as I said, or follow my or anyones' mores. I was just logically stating one could consider Squeeler immoral, even from outside the stance of the human standpoint, because he doesn't follow even his own (proclaimed) moral code. Ergo; we were discussing the morals of squeeler and the queerats *as shown* in the anime: it has nothing to do whether or not he would listen to me. The thought.

As for that particular discussion about his morality (and not any 'listen to me'-stuff you now come up with), you gave an explanation alright. And I understood it perfectly. But an explanation on itself is not an argument, let alone a logically valid argument. Of course, simply stating the other is 'wrong' is not enough, that's why I've given my 3 counterarguments two times by now; if you want to dispute them, please go ahead, but do it with (logical) counterarguments. Your last two posts didn't provide anything in that matter, even you must concede that. It's fine if you want to debate it further, but please respond with relevant arguments, so the debate can focus on that. Stating that Squeeler won't listen to me is a pretty irrational and non-logical argument that's completely irrelevant to the discussion about the issues of morality the anime raises, surely you can see that?

AnimageNebyFeb 24, 2013 11:03 AM
Feb 24, 2013 11:22 AM

Sep 2012
I have the complete novel... In Japanese and I read it in Japanese. I bought it, nice to read but annoying to bookmark with little pieces of paper. For once an electronic copy would be nice for searching but I prefer real books both for reading convenience and to support Yusuke. I bought another pile of his novels too...

In the novel they don't describe how the remains are tested but beforehand in discussions in seems they were going to use the library computers and it seems you have to ask it specific questions. If you just ask are these the remains of... It probably won't add, by the way, Maria was preggers. I think it is the reverse problem, they trust their tech too much.
hpulleyFeb 24, 2013 11:39 AM
Feb 24, 2013 3:34 PM

Apr 2011
I thought that was Maria at first but apparently her and Marmou had a kid. That part was very scary. This anime just keeps getting better and better.
Feb 24, 2013 3:51 PM

Oct 2007
How many more lessons do Human has to learn before they stop underestimate the weakling ones? I guess this is the flaw of one being at the top.

I always wonder why the title say "From the new world" which didn't make much sense since there shouldn't be anything coming from A new world. And then having Saki for being the only one narrating the story from her view it does sound like she is most likely the only one left in Group 1 that survived this war. On the other hand if we assume "the new world" is actually the one we are seeing right now then we can say that Human somehow won this war but at the cost of their own destruction and Saki has to go back to the old world.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Feb 24, 2013 4:08 PM
Dec 2012
AnimageNeby said:
I'm sorry, but you've lost me there. What does it have anything to do with how meaningless it is, and whether or not he would listen to me?? 'He' is an anime/novel character; I hardly think anyone would expect him to do anything in regard to what we say; it's up to the creator of the novel what Squeeler will or won't do. That's completely besides the point, thus. Furthermore, I never said anything about me wanting him to do as I said, or follow my or anyones' mores. I was just logically stating one could consider Squeeler immoral, even from outside the stance of the human standpoint, because he doesn't follow even his own (proclaimed) moral code. Ergo; we were discussing the morals of squeeler and the queerats *as shown* in the anime: it has nothing to do whether or not he would listen to me. The thought.

As for that particular discussion about his morality (and not any 'listen to me'-stuff you now come up with), you gave an explanation alright. And I understood it perfectly. But an explanation on itself is not an argument, let alone a logically valid argument. Of course, simply stating the other is 'wrong' is not enough, that's why I've given my 3 counterarguments two times by now; if you want to dispute them, please go ahead, but do it with (logical) counterarguments. Your last two posts didn't provide anything in that matter, even you must concede that. It's fine if you want to debate it further, but please respond with relevant arguments, so the debate can focus on that. Stating that Squeeler won't listen to me is a pretty irrational and non-logical argument that's completely irrelevant to the discussion about the issues of morality the anime raises, surely you can see that?

Sorry you lost me there. You know you can't change him cuz it's all up to the creator. Then what's the point of this argument? I am not interested in your personal opinion.
Feb 24, 2013 5:49 PM

Oct 2012
AnimageNeby said:
Well, there you go. If nothing was said about a week (or any other time-indication), it's more logical to assume that at least 9 months had passed (pregnancy). Which also makes more sense, because, if only bones were found, it would be difficult to explain after a week why only bones remained, and nothing of the rest of the corpse (certainly if berried under a snow-avalanche). While after a year or so, it would be deemed nothing surprising. The board of education only said they had to return in 4 days, they can't really demand the corpses are to be found within a week, if one does not know where the corpses are buried, after all. Saki and Saturo probably only said they followed the trail and saw a snow-avalanche and that they are probably dead. What can the board do, then? They can search the place, but they can not 'demand' the corpses are found if nobody knows where to find them. Then, after a year, Squeeler suddenly with news: "Oh, our clan has found the remains of humans, maybe it are those kids', and the board investigates and says: 'yes, it are those. Case closed.'

Anyway, it makes more sense to give credence that a year or so passed, instead of only a week. In that case, everything would be explained perfectly.
Okay, I'll provisionally accept that explanation, even though I still think it's a little out of character for the Board of Education to demand with urgency that Maria and Mamoru be found in 3 days, but never send follow-up investigations until Yakomaru reproduces the bones in 9 months. If the remains were buried in an avalanche, it shouldn't be that hard for the Board to excavate it.

AnimageNeby said:
Concerning point 2; I do not think the conditioning plays a major role in the death feedback. Maybe it reinforces subconsciously the fact that humans shouldn't kill humans, but it's not an integral part of the death feedback. the primary use of it, seems to be the possibility of containing the use of their cantus, as the monk has shown us. Squeeler doesn't have to know those rituals and hypnotism, because he doesn't intend to limit or inhibit the us of the cantus. In any case, it's not necessary to have an influence on the death-feedback itself, since that is done by a biological imprinting mechanism.
It's not the inhibition of the Cantus that I'm interested in, but rather the Death Feedback -- the idea that one should die if they attacked a fellow man, even accidentally, or even unknowingly. As Tyrel explains here...

From what we known from events in the show (or at least my interpretation of them), if a human kills another human in the dark, oblivious that it is a human that he killed, then he will die from Death Feedback. That should prove that they do not have to be cognitive of the occurrence. Therefore, if the fiend was not a fiend, then he would have incurred the Death Feedback regardless of whether he thought he was attacking a human or a queerat.

Pawiooka said:
Cantus leakage was presented in the show as a natural phenomenon, and the very reason for building the Holy Barriers. I believe it was Shun who explained it to Saki, but it was also repeated when Maria and Mamoru crossed the Barrier. The Holy Barrier is meant to divide the Earth in two parts for every of its human inhabitants: the inside world, which is "theirs", safe and familiar because of its strict rules, and the scary outside of the Barrier, where their Cantus leak. This natural Cantus leakage was responsible for the mutants such as minoshiro or bakenezumi.
In a result the environment we see in the show is visibly altered from the present world. But this does not justify the new mutants used by the queerrats, such as the giant squid-like creatures (possibly evolved versions of the blowdogs), in which case the mutation must have went rapidly.
Those squids were puzzling to me as well. Even if fast mutation could be explained, can we accept that the fast mutation could be controlled to Yakomaru's content? I mean it must be otherwise incredible luck for Yakomaru to be able to incorporate such a mutation into his strategy.

If the Holy Barrier "worked", then does that mean it is a psychological trick that works only on the town's inhabitants, and that all other humans would have Cantus leakage regardless? In that case, the difference with Karma Demons would be that they can't control their Cantus leakage within the Holy Barrier, when in fact no one could control their leakages out of the Holy Barrier. My next question would be: How did young Maria/Saki/Shun/Satoru/Mamoru not unconsciously hurt each other when they ventured out of the Barrier?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 24, 2013 5:54 PM
Feb 2013
Siva said:
I always wonder why the title say "From the new world" which didn't make much sense since there shouldn't be anything coming from A new world.

It actually originates from the song played when the children have to go home. In the show (and IRL too) it is called "Going Home", which is an adaptation of the beginning of the 2nd movement from Antonin Dvorak's Symphony No.9, "From The New World". Aidoru Translation (who translated the first chapters of the novel) provides some more info on the way this piece is perceived in Japan :

The song is the subject of nostalgia in Japan due to the melody being played over loudspeakers from school buildings at dusk, urging those still staying after school to go home. The lyrics in this translation are not [William Arms] Fisher's version but a translation of the commonly known Japanese version as presented in the novel.
VesperHolicFeb 24, 2013 6:06 PM
Feb 24, 2013 8:51 PM

May 2010
Woooooooow. O_O;

So Maria had a kid with him? >:O

Epic episode indeed.
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Feb 25, 2013 10:56 AM
Feb 2013
eminagnam said:
AnimageNeby said:

Sorry you lost me there. You know you can't change him cuz it's all up to the creator. Then what's the point of this argument? I am not interested in your personal opinion.

Why are you repeating me?

The point of the argument, as I've said (do you actually read anything I wrote?) was to discuss the morality of Squeeler and the rats, and the fact that, purely by logical reasoning, one could still conclude he was being immoral, even if you look at it from outside the human-moral standpoint. If you wanted to debate whether or not you or I can 'change' squeeler - who is a character in a novel/anime (!?!), than why did you even bother starting the debate? Did you actually think anyone was proclaiming such a nonsensical thing? You DO realise those characters are non-existent, right? So how did you come to the thought one could possibly ever influence such a character??

And lastly: once again, you didn't give any counterarguments in your post (as in your two former ones), nor responded to the arguments I gave. If you want to close the debate, just say so. And if you truly 'lost me' (though I think it's an unlikely coincidence you begin your two last posts exactly like I did mine; you're not getting into some petulant, childish mood, I hope?) than please explain where you couldn't follow the reasoning and the arguments I provided anymore, and I'll try to do my best to explain it with more details and in an even more easy-to-understand way, so even you can comprehend it.

Of course, if you truly believed that I or anyone thought we could somehow magically influence an anime-character and were actually discussing that, I think your sense of debate is somewhat skewed...

Edit: Just to make sure, I've gone back to the original beginning of the debate. You can find it here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=562133&show=60#msg20199097

Clearly, there, you are not arguing that Squeeler could get influenced by me or anyone, nor that it isn't up to the creator to show how rats behave. No, you say there - it's literally all there, just read it - that you thought that thinking that Squeeler was immoral and a monster, is only so because one views it from the human standpoint. Which is exactly the crux of the debate. And not what you now come up with, that we could influence what Squeeler does. So why do you now act as if that's what the discussion is about? Who would ever debate such a silly thing in earnest? Let's remain focussed on the true, initial discussion, and not invent something just to cover for a lack of arguments, pls.

katsucats said:
AnimageNeby said:

Okay, I'll provisionally accept that explanation, even though I still think it's a little out of character for the Board of Education to demand with urgency that Maria and Mamoru be found in 3 days, but never send follow-up investigations until Yakomaru reproduces the bones in 9 months. If the remains were buried in an avalanche, it shouldn't be that hard for the Board to excavate it.

AnimageNeby said:
It's not the inhibition of the Cantus that I'm interested in, but rather the Death Feedback -- the idea that one should die if they attacked a fellow man, even accidentally, or even unknowingly. As Tyrel explains here...

From what we known from events in the show (or at least my interpretation of them), if a human kills another human in the dark, oblivious that it is a human that he killed, then he will die from Death Feedback. That should prove that they do not have to be cognitive of the occurrence. Therefore, if the fiend was not a fiend, then he would have incurred the Death Feedback regardless of whether he thought he was attacking a human or a queerat.

Hmm, well, with all due respect to Tyrels' interpretation of those scenes, but I think he's wrong about that. My interpretation of it, was that the humans who killed other humans in the dark killed them, and only after realising they actually killed humans and not rats, they started to get the symptoms of the death feedback and ultimately died. We see that even further substantiated when Saki gets attacked by that kid: he didn't realise she was human neither, and thus he had no problem with any death feedback. However, Saki warns him that if he killed her, he could have gotten it. Well, obviously, NOT if she had been a rat. So what she meant was; if he found out it was actually a human he killed, and not a rat.

Thus, even if there is no immediate visual representation of the human form (at least, not a clear one), the realisation later on that it was a human they killed is enough to set the death feedback in motion. In a way, this makes sense: when you realise what you've done; killing a human, you also visualise it in your own mind. So it's not the visual representation of the 'human form' on itself that triggers it, but the realisation that it's a human you are (or have) killed that triggers it. Obviously, that realisation is primarily visual with humans, but it need not necessarily be.

In my opinion, if a cantus-user let a huge rock fall faraway, he won't suffer death feedback. If that rock kills humans, but he's not aware of that, he'll not suffer death feedback (he can't react to what he doesn't know, after all). However, if he went where that rock was, and sees several humans killed by it, he WILL suffer at least some form of death feedback. I think it even sets in if anyone *accidentally* kills another human, but the degree to which is dependent on the situation. It's not an off-on switch, after all, as the monk has shown us with the snail-seahorse-library-thingy. There, the human form was shown, and he destroyed it, and death feedback set in to some degree, but only lightly. Why? Because, of course, he realised that while he saw the human forms, and he obliterated them, he wasn't *actually* killing any humans. So I do think the visual representation is a means to an end, and not the end itself (otherwise the monk would have died); the realisation whether or not one has actually killed a human plays a major part in the degree to which cantus-users get the feedback.
AnimageNebyFeb 25, 2013 11:46 AM
Feb 25, 2013 12:20 PM

Feb 2005
Man, Yakomaru is a fucking TACTICAL GENIUS. One of the most awesome characters this season outside of JJBA.

Also, is it too late to say
Kill-kill the man-things!
Feb 26, 2013 12:06 AM

Jun 2008
I have just one question: Why does the fiend not attack the queerats?
Feb 26, 2013 12:46 AM

Nov 2011
Redfoxoffire said:

Because they're his family who raised him up?
The Art of Eight
Feb 26, 2013 12:49 AM
Nov 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
becouse he is clearly not a fiend
Feb 26, 2013 10:21 AM

Jan 2011
The weak point is that the rats cant win instantly. It wont be long before news spread and humans raise their own kids without the feedback. Sure that will bring things back to where they were at the start but the rats would be wiped along with the few fiends they manage to raise. In the end the worst case scenario would be another human emperor and stuff. Not that bad compared with complete annihilation.
AlexGKFeb 26, 2013 10:26 AM
Feb 26, 2013 10:26 AM

Sep 2007
Super episode. The arrogance of the humans and the ruthlessness of the rats was clear to see. This series has really bloomed into a fantastic anime.

Feb 26, 2013 7:23 PM

Oct 2012
I hesitate to enter the fray, but I just can't resist my instigating nature :)

AnimageNeby said:
You are also confounding the moral cause of the claim that sentient beings should be free, with the means to do it. It must be apparent that, even if the cause could be claimed moral, therefore the means that are used to get to that cause can still be immoral. Otherwise, the adagio that the goal justifies the (any) means, would be accepted. If that stance is accepted, in reciprocity, someone else can claim - with as much right - that whatever he does is morally right, because it serves *his* goal, including killing you and your family, for instance. Thus, we can see that such a reasoning of arbitrarily chosen morals which are dependent on an equally arbitrary goal, where it isn't even deemed immoral to go against ones' own morals, leads to the simple conclusion that the one with the most power is morally right.
The one with the most power is morally right if his goal was more moral than the one with less power. But if his goal was more moral, then his power is irrelevant. Confounding a moral prescription with the means to achieve it leads to Social Darwinism. The ends justify the means if the utility of the goal is larger than the sacrifice.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 26, 2013 10:06 PM

Nov 2007
Damn Shiisei went down too easily. Do they have any chance without him?

I guess it all makes sense now. They did kill Maria and Satoru but forced them to have a child first. Creepy.

So they plan to make an ogre army with the towns kids. They should have killed that scheming Squera bastard a long time ago.

I was hoping Kiroumaru was still around. I want to see him kick some ass.
Feb 26, 2013 10:46 PM
Feb 2013
katsucats said:

AnimageNeby said:
The one with the most power is morally right if his goal was more moral than the one with less power. But if his goal was more moral, then his power is irrelevant. Confounding a moral prescription with the means to achieve it leads to Social Darwinism. The ends justify the means if the utility of the goal is larger than the sacrifice.

Ah, finally some discussion with an ethical stance again. I was getting a bit bored with emina's nonsense.

The problem which you encounter is, that the evaluation of who actually IS morally superior, at least at that time, is done by the victorious. Which normally would be the strongest/most powerful.

The only counter to that would be to use logical reasoning and reciprocity, based on some basic tenets, like the categorical imperative of Kant and basic values as was already proclaimed by Confucius. Saying that it doesn't matter and can be arbitrarily chosen at will, as eminagram insinuates, however, leads to the moral of the most powerful, for the reasons stated.
Feb 26, 2013 11:01 PM

Oct 2012
AnimageNeby said:
katsucats said:

AnimageNeby said:
Ah, finally some discussion with an ethical stance again. I was getting a bit bored with emina's nonsense.

The problem which you encounter is, that the evaluation of who actually IS morally superior, at least at that time, is done by the victorious. Which normally would be the strongest/most powerful.

The only counter to that would be to use logical reasoning and reciprocity, based on some basic tenets, like the categorical imperative of Kant and basic values as was already proclaimed by Confucius. Saying that it doesn't matter and can be arbitrarily chosen at will, as eminagram insinuates, however, leads to the moral of the most powerful, for the reasons stated.
Let us assume 2 goals, where killing the opposing party affects neither (or affects both the same). Both goals are evaluated upon conception.

Goal#1 has a moral value of +5.
Goal#2 has a moral value of +7.

Even if Person#1 (holding Goal#1) kills Person#2 (holding Goal #2), Goal#2 still has higher moral value than Goal#1.

If you believe that morality is either subjective or non-existent (i.e. not objective), then Goal#1 and Goal#2 are simply incomparable, and neither can be "superior" to the other.

Edit: For clarification, I don't believe eminagnam really has a point (or has articulated his point enough to merit a direct response) beyond that Yakomaru's intentions of freeing the queerats from human control were somewhat justified. While he might believe the ends justify the means using some unknown system, he never specifies that any ends justify any means in the way that you're characterizing it.

My only point in this post is that the belief of some morally justifiable goal regardless of means does not lead to Social Darwinism as you suggest. The conclusion does not follow. I think you're confusing subjectivity and objectivity. A subjective claim remains subjective, even if the agent (i.e. person making the claim) is the only person left. It does not mean it becomes objective just because there's no one else making a counter-claim. If there isn't some system to verify the moral value of 2 opposing claims so that they can become directly comparable, whether the claims are objective or subjective in themselves, then it is pointless to compare them

Hence, the fact that you might, for example, like "blue" doesn't mean that blue is the best color even if you were the only sentient being left -- and I think we can both agree that color preferences are rather arbitrary.
katsucatsFeb 26, 2013 11:35 PM
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 27, 2013 10:38 AM
Feb 2013
katsucats said:
AnimageNeby said:
katsucats said:

AnimageNeby said:

Let us assume 2 goals, where killing the opposing party affects neither (or affects both the same). Both goals are evaluated upon conception.

Goal#1 has a moral value of +5.

Even if Person#1 (holding Goal#1) kills Person#2 (holding Goal #2), Goal#2 still has higher moral value than Goal#1.

If you believe that morality is either subjective or non-existent (i.e. not objective), then Goal#1 and Goal#2 are simply incomparable, and neither can be "superior" to the other.

Edit: For clarification, I don't believe eminagnam really has a point (or has articulated his point enough to merit a direct response) beyond that Yakomaru's intentions of freeing the queerats from human control were somewhat justified. While he might believe the ends justify the means using some unknown system, he never specifies that any ends justify any means in the way that you're characterizing it.

My only point in this post is that the belief of some morally justifiable goal regardless of means does not lead to Social Darwinism as you suggest. The conclusion does not follow. I think you're confusing subjectivity and objectivity. A subjective claim remains subjective, even if the agent (i.e. person making the claim) is the only person left. It does not mean it becomes objective just because there's no one else making a counter-claim. If there isn't some system to verify the moral value of 2 opposing claims so that they can become directly comparable, whether the claims are objective or subjective in themselves, then it is pointless to compare them

Hence, the fact that you might, for example, like "blue" doesn't mean that blue is the best color even if you were the only sentient being left -- and I think we can both agree that color preferences are rather arbitrary.

Well, I gather you have understood I'm not actually a proponent for the morally superior = superior strength/power; my stance is, on the contrary, that you have mechanisms by which you have a much more objective measurement (based on principles of universalism and logic/reciprocity) in which to establish if someone or some group acts morally or ethical or not.

But I do think that if you deny that, as emina did - and later he came with the argument it's futile because I can't change Squeelers actions, which, one can all agree, is a nonsensical and irrelevant argument in this debate - one can not else than conclude that, ultimately, you have nothing left than to weigh each ones' morality arbitrarily. And obviously, each party will see his own moral justification as the most just, if all that is needed is a subjective feeling of it.

That's why I'm thinking the starting premise of your example is already different from mine.

You say:

"Goal#1 has a moral value of +5.

Even if Person#1 (holding Goal#1) kills Person#2 (holding Goal #2), Goal#2 still has higher moral value than Goal#1."

But according to WHOM is goal 1 +5 and goal2 +7? Certainly not by those parties themselves! Their actions are based on the assumption that their own moral justification is higher, obviously. And mostly in the area of +10 for themselves, and -10 for the other. Look at how we regard terrorism, for instance: the West is hardly going to claim the terrorists are morally superior to themselves, are they? On the contrary. The reverse is also true; clearly, the terrorists think they are morally superior and the West a dark pool of immoral pagans.

You are acting as if there is an objective third party there, who could evaluate such a thing. Well, yes, you could have that, if one follows the premise I first said. But if one denies that this is possible, and claim somebody is outside morality altogether and can't be judged, then obviously, it boils down to an arbitrarily chosen judgement about the morality of the persons involved.

The fact that Squeeler had a point when discussing the freedom for his race, as sentient beings, was already something I acknowledged long before enima. Squeelers' demand that every sentient being should have free will and rights, is a just one. I've said so from the very beginning: he clearly has a point there, on itself, on the principle of that matter.

The question remains if he's 1)truly fighting for that stated purpose. I would doubt that, seen his actions to his queen (he clearly disregarded her free will) and because of the latest insight we got, where for him it's more to do with conquering the world and establishing a rat-empire like the Slave Empires before him, then his originally stated goal. 2)Whether or not, even if the goal is right, his actions are. That one can be immoral, even when the cause has some merit, is without say, I would think. If the West could kill a terrorist, and this would be deemed morally justified, no one would make much of a problem of it. If the same terrorist could only be killed by nuking an entire city with millions of civilians, I think you would not find many people who would claim this was ethical or morally justified, even if they agreed with the killing of the terrorist.

And of course; if both parties only have their own arbitrary moral judgement to follow, that would lead to the conclusion both are equal (or non-existant, since both 'morality-evaluations' cancel eachother out). But what is left, then, to determine who is superior? Well, in practise, when there is a dispute of morality and it can't be solved peacefully, one morality is simply imposed on the other. And who can impose it? Well, the strongest / most powerful one, obviously. It's still possible the remaining minority will view it differently, but all laws and rules will be settled in favour of the victorious. And you couldn't even counter that, since in the reasoning enima followed, you would not have the principle of universal ethics, reciprocity nor logic to determine such a thing.

In that situation and with those conditions (but, as said, I'm not prone of the premise of such a thoughtpattern), you would be wrong in your last conclusion. The only one remaining, when deciding what colour is best, would be right in ascertaining it is best: there would be no-one left claiming anything else. Since "man is the measurement of all things", and he would be the only one left, he would be the only measurement possible. Especially if one would claim logic and all the rest doesn't matter, only his own arbitrarily chosen subjective feelings on the matter count. Well, then, obviously, it would be 'best', indeed.
AnimageNebyFeb 27, 2013 10:57 AM
Feb 27, 2013 4:03 PM

Jun 2010
I wonder what Saki & Satoru are going to do now, how are they going to defeat the fiend. I hope by the end we won't have some deus ex machina thing where some miracle occurs.
Feb 27, 2013 4:09 PM

Feb 2010
Wild_Boy said:
May the best species win.

This!
Ku ku ku~
Feb 27, 2013 4:13 PM

Jan 2012
the queerats trying to take control of the fiends??? and top of that, one of the fiends is maria?? (i think)

damn...! looks like from the next episode things just got more serious!!!
Feb 27, 2013 4:24 PM

Nov 2008
Oh man, this is awful. Seriously fucking awful. I can't even remember the last time a show made me this keenly aware of how awful the situation is. Impressive job on that, seriously.
Feb 27, 2013 8:41 PM
Aug 2010
You know how to kill a fiend? You shoot him. The qeerats killed a bunch of humans, sniping one crazed human should be easy. Even if the humans threw away all their conventional weapons, just make a bow or steal weapons from the qeerats.

Even if the death feedback isn't just restricted to cantus, they can just have one person sacrifice himself to kill the fiend. We already know from "accidental killings" that humans CAN kill each other, they just die afterwards themselves.

How do the qeerats know how to turn people into fiends. How are they so sure they can control the fiends. Wouldn't it be more dangerous to keep a bunch of unstable walking bombs around? If even one of them goes off, its over.

If these fiends are aware enough to recognize the qeerats as "friends" then they should be aware that they are far more powerful than the qeerats and the instincts that evolution has embedded in us all would make at least one think, "Why am I listening to these people? I should just do whatever the hell I want."
Feb 27, 2013 9:24 PM

Oct 2012
AnimageNeby said:
That's why I'm thinking the starting premise of your example is already different from mine.

You say:

Even if Person#1 (holding Goal#1) kills Person#2 (holding Goal #2), Goal#2 still has higher moral value than Goal#1."

But according to WHOM is goal 1 +5 and goal2 +7? Certainly not by those parties themselves! Their actions are based on the assumption that their own moral justification is higher, obviously. And mostly in the area of +10 for themselves, and -10 for the other. Look at how we regard terrorism, for instance: the West is hardly going to claim the terrorists are morally superior to themselves, are they? On the contrary. The reverse is also true; clearly, the terrorists think they are morally superior and the West a dark pool of immoral pagans.

You are acting as if there is an objective third party there, who could evaluate such a thing. Well, yes, you could have that, if one follows the premise I first said. But if one denies that this is possible, and claim somebody is outside morality altogether and can't be judged, then obviously, it boils down to an arbitrarily chosen judgement about the morality of the persons involved.
There is a 3rd party, whether real or imaginary that assigns some objective system in which the values of 2 subjective moral systems could be evaluated and compared. It doesn't matter if these values are ever articulated; if such an objective system exists, then the values exist as soon as the goals are conceived (even if no one in the world ever knows what they are).

AnimageNeby said:
The fact that Squeeler had a point when discussing the freedom for his race, as sentient beings, was already something I acknowledged long before enima. Squeelers' demand that every sentient being should have free will and rights, is a just one. I've said so from the very beginning: he clearly has a point there, on itself, on the principle of that matter.

The question remains if he's 1)truly fighting for that stated purpose. I would doubt that, seen his actions to his queen (he clearly disregarded her free will) and because of the latest insight we got, where for him it's more to do with conquering the world and establishing a rat-empire like the Slave Empires before him, then his originally stated goal. 2)Whether or not, even if the goal is right, his actions are. That one can be immoral, even when the cause has some merit, is without say, I would think. If the West could kill a terrorist, and this would be deemed morally justified, no one would make much of a problem of it. If the same terrorist could only be killed by nuking an entire city with millions of civilians, I think you would not find many people who would claim this was ethical or morally justified, even if they agreed with the killing of the terrorist.
You believe that means and ends, as moral actions, both have moral value. This doesn't have as much impact on the universalism of morality as you think it does.

On one hand: Ends = X (where X is some determined moral value)
On another hand: Means + Ends = X

The formula changed but the framework remains.

AnimageNeby said:
And of course; if both parties only have their own arbitrary moral judgement to follow, that would lead to the conclusion both are equal (or non-existant, since both 'morality-evaluations' cancel eachother out).
Subjective values cannot be directly comparable, it is epistemically impossible. Say I love blue, but you love green. How can we know whether I love blue more than you love green, or vice versa? There is no way to quantify subjective experience. Even if there were, since both our moral systems would have different criteria, it would be impossible to evaluate them objectively. If morality is subjective, then 2 moral systems are neither equal nor unequal -- they cannot be compared.

AnimageNeby said:
But what is left, then, to determine who is superior? Well, in practise, when there is a dispute of morality and it can't be solved peacefully, one morality is simply imposed on the other. And who can impose it? Well, the strongest / most powerful one, obviously. It's still possible the remaining minority will view it differently, but all laws and rules will be settled in favour of the victorious. And you couldn't even counter that, since in the reasoning enima followed, you would not have the principle of universal ethics, reciprocity nor logic to determine such a thing.
If ethics were universal, then there would be some observable fact in the physical world that explains why everyone would come to the conclusion. The elimination of opponents do not eliminate that such fact existed.

AnimageNeby said:
In that situation and with those conditions (but, as said, I'm not prone of the premise of such a thoughtpattern), you would be wrong in your last conclusion. The only one remaining, when deciding what colour is best, would be right in ascertaining it is best: there would be no-one left claiming anything else. Since "man is the measurement of all things", and he would be the only one left, he would be the only measurement possible. Especially if one would claim logic and all the rest doesn't matter, only his own arbitrarily chosen subjective feelings on the matter count. Well, then, obviously, it would be 'best', indeed.
A claim is not automatically correct just because there lacks a counter-claim. If objective morality exists, a claim either adheres to it, or it doesn't. A rock exists even if there isn't anyone to observe it. When a tree falls in the middle of the woods, it still makes a noise. If the last person on Earth proclaims "1+1=5", he is still wrong.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 27, 2013 10:51 PM
Aug 2012
Bobjones said:
You know how to kill a fiend? You shoot him. The qeerats killed a bunch of humans, sniping one crazed human should be easy. Even if the humans threw away all their conventional weapons, just make a bow or steal weapons from the qeerats.

Even if the death feedback isn't just restricted to cantus, they can just have one person sacrifice himself to kill the fiend. We already know from "accidental killings" that humans CAN kill each other, they just die afterwards themselves.

How do the qeerats know how to turn people into fiends. How are they so sure they can control the fiends. Wouldn't it be more dangerous to keep a bunch of unstable walking bombs around? If even one of them goes off, its over.

If these fiends are aware enough to recognize the qeerats as "friends" then they should be aware that they are far more powerful than the qeerats and the instincts that evolution has embedded in us all would make at least one think, "Why am I listening to these people? I should just do whatever the hell I want."

The human child raised by Queerats isn't a fiend.
Feb 28, 2013 7:06 AM

Oct 2011
Oh wow. Incredible episode.

5/5
Feb 28, 2013 11:07 AM
Feb 2013

Nequam, I largely agree with that assessment. The only nuance I would make is on the "An agent who is not acting in accordance to its agency cannot be attributed to any causes of action, and as such, ought to be withdrawed from all possible judgement". It could be that I misunderstood you there, but if you are saying he can't be judged even by *his own* moral sets of values, I think this is incorrect, though it would be true if one would say 'another' agency. At least, with the caveat one is using logic as a determining factor of evaluating the morality of something (which is not the case if one considers only ones' own volition and arbitrary feelings as the sole measurement, of course).

But if one does, holding yourself to your own moral code is at least one possible (more objective) measurement in judging the morality of somebody, because even when moral settings and ethical values can differ, when one goes against ones' OWN moral code, one can not possibly consider it ethical from that context anymore. This, for the simple reason you would then introduce a contradictio in terminis in ones' own reasoning, for as long as one acknowledges that to be moral one has to follow a moral code - which is inherent to the concept, even if one does not recognise anyone elses' moral code, one still has the context of ones' own code. Going against that voluntarily, logically makes you immoral from the standpoint of ones' own code. And having no code whatsoever to hold on too, would one make amoral instead of immoral.

In that last case, however, it is as you say: there would be no point in it, just as a rock or an animal can not be judged immoral. However, being a sentient being, I think in a practical sense, it is impossible to not have any morals or moral code whatsoever. In fact, with social entities (as humans, and clearly queerrats are) there is always an abundance of those, just because you can't have a social society without them. (The reason for that you already pointed out: it would be impossible to avoid conflict, and in its extreme, a society would simply destroy itself).

I completely agree with your "Relative to the universe, no morals/ethics/etc. exist". Indeed, without an observer, without any measurement possible, without a judge...there can be no judgement. It is meaningless to say it exists on itself, when there is no-one to think those thoughts. In a world where the concept of morality does not any longer exist, it becomes meaningless to say there are still morals, or goals have moral values.

katsucats said:
AnimageNeby said:

You say:

There is a 3rd party, whether real or imaginary that assigns some objective system in which the values of 2 subjective moral systems could be evaluated and compared. It doesn't matter if these values are ever articulated; if such an objective system exists, then the values exist as soon as the goals are conceived (even if no one in the world ever knows what they are).

Ok: which one? When I said that, using the principles I outlined, one could come to a more objectieve measurement and evaluation of the morality of a person of action, I didn't mean that there was a completely objective observer in the *absolute* sense. There still has to be an actual observer/third party/ 'a' party to evaluate, in the end. you seem to imply there is an absolute order in morals, whether there actually is or isn't. You claim that there is an observer; very well, I repeat: which one? The moment you have an observer capable of distinguishing morals en ethical behaviour and giving a judgement, that moment you have an observer with a moral set of his own, even when using universal principles to ascertain the morality of something. It makes no sense to say there is an 'imaginary' observer: an imaginary observer is no observer. If one gives weight to what an imaginary observer would say about the value of moral goals, than you are in effect using the values and the capacity of discernation of the one imagining that imaginary observer.

When there is no-one around, there is no observer, not real and not imaginary, so the whole concept becomes moot.

AnimageNeby said:

You believe that means and ends, as moral actions, both have moral value. This doesn't have as much impact on the universalism of morality as you think it does.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with that sort of equation. What I'm saying is, that a goal can be morally justified, but that doesn't mean the means to get to that goal is morally justified. That is all. If one would have to put that into an equation, I would say that the goal and the means are two distinct parameters in the equation. So if goal = +3 and the means would constitute -7, one could still say it was -4. But since it are different parameters, it makes it rather confounding to lump the two together as a single value. After all, the value of the goal doesn't get any less. Meaning, if that is deemed ethical, on itself it doesn't become unethical because the means to get it were unethical. Just as the reverse isn't true, which I already gave an analogy of, namely that the means don't become ethical or moral, because the goal was morally justified.

AnimageNeby said:
And of course; if both parties only have their own arbitrary moral judgement to follow, that would lead to the conclusion both are equal (or non-existant, since both 'morality-evaluations' cancel eachother out).
Subjective values cannot be directly comparable, it is epistemically impossible. Say I love blue, but you love green. How can we know whether I love blue more than you love green, or vice versa? There is no way to quantify subjective experience. Even if there were, since both our moral systems would have different criteria, it would be impossible to evaluate them objectively. If morality is subjective, then 2 moral systems are neither equal nor unequal -- they cannot be compared.

Well, I agree with you there. But that's something else as claiming the judgement of 'blue is the best' is wrong if the only one left to judge is that person. You now compare TWO judgements: one says blue, one says green. As I said (and thus I agree), there is NO way to determine the value of both when one does not rely on basic principles (and being basic means; where both persons inherently can adher to), and the only determining factor is one of personal feeling and opinion of it, regardless of anything else. Thus, when fully arbitrarily chosen, and in disregard of universal principles, there can be no measurement of value. That's why your stance about goal 1 and goal 2 is +3 and +7 doesn't make sense, in that particular case: both regard their own moral value as +10, if that value is only to be determined by their own irrational thoughts on the matter. That much is obvious. As you said: there is no way to quantify subjective experience, as long as one deems the subjective nature of it the only measurement possible.

In which case, when in conflict, the morals that win out are those that are victorious in imposing themselves. If that imposition is so drastic, everyone else is dead, than the morals of the one surviving is the only one left, and thus the only judgement left. If it then judges his own goal +10 and all others -10, which other judgement could be possible, since there is no-one else to judge?

I deny the existence ( - at least until proven differently, following Occams' razor) of some all powerful, omniscient absolute neutral observer that exists without existing (aka 'imaginary'), but more on that in my last part of this post.

AnimageNeby said:
But what is left, then, to determine who is superior? Well, in practise, when there is a dispute of morality and it can't be solved peacefully, one morality is simply imposed on the other. And who can impose it? Well, the strongest / most powerful one, obviously. It's still possible the remaining minority will view it differently, but all laws and rules will be settled in favour of the victorious. And you couldn't even counter that, since in the reasoning enima followed, you would not have the principle of universal ethics, reciprocity nor logic to determine such a thing.
If ethics were universal, then there would be some observable fact in the physical world that explains why everyone would come to the conclusion. The elimination of opponents do not eliminate that such fact existed.

And I think this is the crux of the matter. When I say 'universal' I mean in a way that it is universally (aka, widespread, for everyone) applicable to all parties involved. I don't mean there is some universal observer in an absolute sense. Who would that be? God? ;-) This principle of universalism, thus, is based on a common groundwork, basic tenets that all agree on. If none where there, however, and the universe was empty, obviously, there would NOT be a moral judgement possible. Morals and ethics do not exist without those that can have morals and ethics. That's why it futile to say a stone is moral or immoral.

Now, one might claim, in the situation of the anime, there can be no common values, but I would dispute that. Firstly, to all living entities already have some common grounds: the wish to live, the wish to feed itself, the wish to propagate, etc. this is a starting basis to have a universal common aspects to build a framework on. From this biological setting, we than have the common ground that is akin to be sentient beings. Furthermore, there is a potential common ground in the sense that both races are not only sentient, but also socially and hierarchically structured. Furthermore, seen the distress and complaints Squeeler had, about being the rat-babies being stolen and to go into slavery, the fact that sentient beings should live free, etc (even when he isn't really aiming for that, which makes him immoral) means that at least the same concepts exist that we can relate to. Such common concepts and methods in determining basic moral values, would be the use of ethical common values, reciprocity and the use of logic.

If nothing of the sort would exist and be possible - say, an alien who had no understanding or willingness to use any of that, than, indeed, any moral or ethical consideration would become futile, and the only way it could proceed, is by brute force and violence.

AnimageNeby said:
A claim is not automatically correct just because there lacks a counter-claim. If objective morality exists, a claim either adheres to it, or it doesn't. A rock exists even if there isn't anyone to observe it. When a tree falls in the middle of the woods, it still makes a noise. If the last person on Earth proclaims "1+1=5", he is still wrong.

I disagree, and I will divide my counterarguments in two parts. The first one, is the inherent difference between a material object, and a set of morals. While one could theoretically argue a stone is still there if no-one sees it, a set of moral values only exist within a mind. You can not have a judgement of morals without there being anyone with the capability to judge. In a world where no observes of moral values are present, there are no morals. Does a rock have morals? The question itself wouldn't even be there without someone as an observer with a concept of morality.

The second one is more philosophical, and boils down to the question whether, in fact, there is anything here without an observer. Logic would, at first glance, suggest there is. We believe that a stone is still there, even when no-one can observe it. That a tree still makes a noise, even if nobody hears it fall, etc. However, these ideas use 1)logic (which is one of the basic tenets/concepts/methods that are universal for all sentient beings) and 2)start from the premise the world as we known, is, in fact, persistent in an absolute way.

For 1), one can say that if we deny logic as a way to determine something, as in the case of enimagram, than it can't be used to substantiate that claim neither. And for 2): ultimately, that's a preconception, which, strictly speaking, can not be validated in a scientific way. Because, let's face it: how would you know that a stone is still there if no-one observes it? It could as well be that the stone appears every time one looks, and disappears every time one doesn't. It could be that the whole universe disappears when no one is there to observe or experience it, for that matter. It's an impossible matter to have a final word on, because we only know about the universe because of the observation of it.

In fact, even in science there are examples that shed some doubt on the certainty that everything is there regardless if we see/observe it or not. In quantummechanics you have the concept of the cat of Schrödinger, for instance. Where you would say: the cat is dead (or alive) whether we look at it or not, there it says: the cat is both death and alive UNTIL we look at it and observe its state. So you see, even the basic premise where one would think of the persistence of composition or states regardless of an observer, could well be an illusion itself.
AnimageNebyFeb 28, 2013 12:44 PM
Feb 28, 2013 6:15 PM

Oct 2012
AnimageNeby said:
katsucats said:
Ok: which one? When I said that, using the principles I outlined, one could come to a more objectieve measurement and evaluation of the morality of a person of action, I didn't mean that there was a completely objective observer in the *absolute* sense. There still has to be an actual observer/third party/ 'a' party to evaluate, in the end. you seem to imply there is an absolute order in morals, whether there actually is or isn't. You claim that there is an observer; very well, I repeat: which one? The moment you have an observer capable of distinguishing morals en ethical behaviour and giving a judgement, that moment you have an observer with a moral set of his own, even when using universal principles to ascertain the morality of something. It makes no sense to say there is an 'imaginary' observer: an imaginary observer is no observer. If one gives weight to what an imaginary observer would say about the value of moral goals, than you are in effect using the values and the capacity of discernation of the one imagining that imaginary observer.
You are arguing against yourself, and in circles. If there is a third-party observer with the capacity to arbitrate a moral argument, it must do so against a set of objective principles X (whether X be of reciprocity or anything else), otherwise we fall into the trap as you outlined where the third-party observer has his own moral system. If that's the case, then what is the relevance of the third party observer?

There are only 2 possibilities here:
Objective moral values exist: Any moral claim can be theoretically compared against the objective regardless of a third-party observer, even if the agent making the claim is unaware of the existence of the objective values.
Objective moral values do not exist: Third-party observer has no authority.

In either case, the third-party observer is irrelevant to the outcome.

AnimageNeby said:
katsucats said:

I'm not sure what you are getting at with that sort of equation. What I'm saying is, that a goal can be morally justified, but that doesn't mean the means to get to that goal is morally justified. That is all. If one would have to put that into an equation, I would say that the goal and the means are two distinct parameters in the equation. So if goal = +3 and the means would constitute -7, one could still say it was -4. But since it are different parameters, it makes it rather confounding to lump the two together as a single value. After all, the value of the goal doesn't get any less. Meaning, if that is deemed ethical, on itself it doesn't become unethical because the means to get it were unethical. Just as the reverse isn't true, which I already gave an analogy of, namely that the means don't become ethical or moral, because the goal was morally justified.
You are right. If the means have negative value beyond the positive value of the end, then the overall prescription is unethical. However, this does not lead to your conclusion that ignoring means necessarily leads to Social Darwinism (i.e. the strong is right, the weak is wrong). I've showed that calculating for means only changes the calculation of the utility of the outcome, not any other fundamental facts.

M = X and M +/- E = X are alike -- nothing changes in X except for the moral value.

AnimageNeby said:
katsucats said:
Well, I agree with you there. But that's something else as claiming the judgement of 'blue is the best' is wrong if the only one left to judge is that person. You now compare TWO judgements: one says blue, one says green. As I said (and thus I agree), there is NO way to determine the value of both when one does not rely on basic principles (and being basic means; where both persons inherently can adher to), and the only determining factor is one of personal feeling and opinion of it, regardless of anything else.
If there are a set of principles in which everyone must inherently be compelled to agree to that doesn't arise out of their individual opinions, then those principles can be said to exist externally in relation to the agent -- they are then objective. You cannot deny the objectivity of morality only when it's convenient to do so. You aren't being consistent. If there are "basic principles", then a person's moral value depend on how far they deviate from those principles. If there are not "basic principles", then those moral values are incomparable to any other set of moral values because there is no universally agreeable arbiter of values.

AnimageNeby said:
Thus, when fully arbitrarily chosen, and in disregard of universal principles, there can be no measurement of value. That's why your stance about goal 1 and goal 2 is +3 and +7 doesn't make sense, in that particular case: both regard their own moral value as +10, if that value is only to be determined by their own irrational thoughts on the matter. That much is obvious. As you said: there is no way to quantify subjective experience, as long as one deems the subjective nature of it the only measurement possible.
I want to make something clear. Those numbers are an illustration of your stance, not mine. I have not given any stance to this issue. You said that moral values can be compared to some universal principle. Thus, a moral argument is either negative or positive in relation to said "universal/basic" principle.

AnimageNeby said:
In which case, when in conflict, the morals that win out are those that are victorious in imposing themselves. If that imposition is so drastic, everyone else is dead, than the morals of the one surviving is the only one left, and thus the only judgement left. If it then judges his own goal +10 and all others -10, which other judgement could be possible, since there is no-one else to judge?
Such a claim is still subjective and meaningless to any theoretical third-party observer. Objectivity must exist independent of the mind, which the moral claim is not if there are no universal values. As you've affirmed yourself, "when fully arbitrarily chosen, and in disregard of universal principles, there can be no measurement of value". There is "no measurement of value" regardless of the presence of a second party.

AnimageNeby said:
I deny the existence ( - at least until proven differently, following Occams' razor) of some all powerful, omniscient absolute neutral observer that exists without existing (aka 'imaginary'), but more on that in my last part of this post.
Then you should deny the existence of your own moral system based upon universal/basic principles.

AnimageNeby said:
katsucats said:
And I think this is the crux of the matter. When I say 'universal' I mean in a way that it is universally (aka, widespread, for everyone) applicable to all parties involved. I don't mean there is some universal observer in an absolute sense. Who would that be? God? ;-) This principle of universalism, thus, is based on a common groundwork, basic tenets that all agree on. If none where there, however, and the universe was empty, obviously, there would NOT be a moral judgement possible. Morals and ethics do not exist without those that can have morals and ethics. That's why it futile to say a stone is moral or immoral.
If that's the case, then your "universal principles" are irrelevant.

Suppose we have 2 parties involved, Queerats and Humans, and their respective moral systems, such that:
Q(m) = A + X
H(m) = A + Y
where A is a moral constant, and X and Y are moral variables that are mutually exclusive.

In this case, only A is applicable to all parties involved, so you would propose to use A to judge X and Y. But A has no means of judging X and Y. X and Y remains incomparable and subjective regardless of whether some metaphysical concept called "universal principle" exists, which is just the common ground between 2 opinions when we get down to it -- so we eliminate it with Occam's Razor. It is superfluous and doesn't change the situation.

To be clear, there are holes in your argument regardless of the existence of "universal principles":
  1. The existence of a common ground does not change the conclusion. IF Social Darwinism is the conclusion, it is whether "universal principles" exist or not.
  2. Social Darwinism is NOT the conclusion because subjectivity cannot be measured regardless of the existence of a counter-claim.

AnimageNeby said:
Now, one might claim, in the situation of the anime, there can be no common values, but I would dispute that. Firstly, to all living entities already have some common grounds: the wish to live, the wish to feed itself, the wish to propagate, etc. this is a starting basis to have a universal common aspects to build a framework on. From this biological setting, we than have the common ground that is akin to be sentient beings. Furthermore, there is a potential common ground in the sense that both races are not only sentient, but also socially and hierarchically structured. Furthermore, seen the distress and complaints Squeeler had, about being the rat-babies being stolen and to go into slavery, the fact that sentient beings should live free, etc (even when he isn't really aiming for that, which makes him immoral) means that at least the same concepts exist that we can relate to. Such common concepts and methods in determining basic moral values, would be the use of ethical common values, reciprocity and the use of logic.
I held this back earlier, but as such beings are "sentient", they are not bound to biological instinct, so the attempt to equate biological imperative to moral imperative --first of all, if such an equation could be made, then we could strike "morality" using Occam's Razor and just refer to socio-biological imperatives-- commits the naturalistic fallacy. It attempts to derive an 'ought' from an 'is'.

Additionally, nature isn't so benevolent. Tribes of a monkey may evolutionarily resist taking the lives of their own, but they would not be adverse to killing other tribes or species. We don't kill other humans, but we kill cows, and we kill cockroaches. It is unrealistic, even within the biological framework, to consider Yakomaru enslaving human children to be the moral equivalent of humans enslaving queerats from either perspective.

AnimageNeby said:
If nothing of the sort would exist and be possible - say, an alien who had no understanding or willingness to use any of that, than, indeed, any moral or ethical consideration would become futile, and the only way it could proceed, is by brute force and violence.
If you perhaps presume, by some mysterious source, that communication requires morality, or that brute force isn't compatible with morality -- either is questionable with or without the existence of "universal principles".

AnimageNeby said:

In fact, even in science there are examples that shed some doubt on the certainty that everything is there regardless if we see/observe it or not. In quantummechanics you have the concept of the cat of Schrödinger, for instance. Where you would say: the cat is dead (or alive) whether we look at it or not, there it says: the cat is both death and alive UNTIL we look at it and observe its state. So you see, even the basic premise where one would think of the persistence of composition or states regardless of an observer, could well be an illusion itself.
*sigh* not interested in arguing about quantum sophistry. Schrodinger's Cat is ad reductio absurdum. It wasn't meant to be taken literally.
katsucatsFeb 28, 2013 6:20 PM
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 2, 2013 8:02 AM

May 2012
katsucats said:

Cantus Leakage are small bursts of uncontrollable cantus and occur naturally but have been prevented in society by hypnotism at a young age. Karma demons are different in the sense that they continually leak cantus as apposed to the small bursts that occur in the fiend.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2012

299 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 3:45 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

517 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 3:31 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

364 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 2:29 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2012

281 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 12:48 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Oct 5, 2012

322 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 12:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.