Forum Settings
Forums

For the GUYS: do you ever read shoujo manga???

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Sep 6, 2012 11:20 AM
Jul 2012
I'm slowly trying to read some (Ouran for now) not really enjoying it but i did enjoy romantic aspects a little in Mahou Sensei Negima so i won't entirely give up on it.

x5exotic said:
No they sound gay

So you judge an entire genre as unenjoyable because they sound "gay"? That's a little presumptious isn't it?
Sep 6, 2012 11:52 AM

Sep 2008
Till now i only read Yumeka Sumomo/Mizu Sahara's manga of this genre, if i am not wrong, but i can say i've enjoyed the readings. There is no reason to be ashamed.
Sep 6, 2012 12:00 PM

Apr 2012
I read yaoi manga,not gay just enjoy it,well maybe i am,but just a little.
Sep 6, 2012 1:00 PM

Jun 2011
Shoujo manga are for those who like a bit more of psychological development and less fight-em-all shounen progress. I know that anyone could easily find this theme in lots of seinen and even some underrated shounen, but I'm absolutely not ashamed to admit that I read and enjoyed a great number of shoujo for this reason.
Secondly they tend to be even more funny and dramatic than the average and that's a +1 for me.

The negative points are that the art are often too much similar, sometimes just plain bad, and repetitive if they last too much. Compared to manga, shoujo anime are even quite boring.
Sep 8, 2012 10:14 AM

Sep 2011
I've never really bothered with Shoujo's because one, some of the art designs just creep me the hell out. I know eyes are supposed to be big but shoujo eyes are just DAMN. Plus I haven't really heard of any with much of a good plot to catch my attention. I may however try picking up a few for the tiny romance lover in me or something, but I doubt I'll be head over heels in it.

Plus most shoujo's seem better designed in anime form...
Sep 8, 2012 12:28 PM

Jul 2012
I've been reading some shoujo mangas lately because my girlfriend really likes shoujo and recommended me some. They're not bad but I don't really like most of them, just not my genre I guess...
Sep 8, 2012 12:36 PM

Aug 2012
Yeah I read it all the time romance is my favorite doesn't matter what type. I find most of them quite good :D
Sep 8, 2012 2:22 PM

Aug 2012
Yes, Romance manga is actually my favorite. It is actually the only type I read usually my favorite being a tie between "Kimi no Iru Machi and Suzuka".
PapezmoonSep 8, 2012 2:25 PM
Sep 10, 2012 4:04 PM

Apr 2012
Papezmoon said:
Yes, Romance manga is actually my favorite. It is actually the only type I read usually my favorite being a tie between "Kimi no Iru Machi and Suzuka".

neither of those are shojo, they are shonen
Sep 12, 2012 5:51 AM
Jul 2018
It's not like I really care tbh, but I don't think I have stumbled across one up to date, yet. Most of my favorite genres tend to be Seinen.
Dec 16, 2012 12:33 PM

Aug 2012
whats a shoujo manga?
Dec 16, 2012 12:33 PM
Jul 2012
no
Jan 10, 2013 11:41 PM

Dec 2010
darkyuu said:
I read yaoi manga,not gay just enjoy it,well maybe i am,but just a little.

No, I'm pretty sure you're gay.

I read shoujo........every now and then. Only the ones that are well written though. I liked Koukou Debut, Otomen and Strobe Edge.
Jan 11, 2013 3:24 AM

Jan 2011
I admit that among the 4 genres shojou is the one I read the least as I haven't found a shoujo manga that I really liked. But I'm still looking for a shojo manga to impress me and I'm thinking of reading a shojo this weekend which I hope will impress me.
Jan 11, 2013 3:29 AM

Jun 2007
DrugzRule said:
I admit that among the 4 genres shojou is the one I read the least as I haven't found a shoujo manga that I really liked. But I'm still looking for a shojo manga to impress me and I'm thinking of reading a shojo this weekend which I hope will impress me.

Shoujo isn't a genre.
Jan 11, 2013 9:54 AM
Feb 2012
Yes, I frequently do. Generally speaking it's always good to broaden one's horizons but I myself enjoy reading a good love story. Besides, I don't like pigeonholing.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jan 11, 2013 5:31 PM

Aug 2010
Yes i read Shoujo manga, usually after i get tired of all the shonen manga i read lol
Jan 12, 2013 6:27 PM

Aug 2012
Nope. I did read one though, and later I discovered it has Yaoi. Since then, I vowed to never read a shoujo manga ever again. :|
Jan 12, 2013 6:28 PM

Sep 2012
Bokura ga Ita converted me.
Jan 12, 2013 9:14 PM

Apr 2011
As an avid romance manga reader, reading shoujo manga is inevitable. That being said, I can't stand shoujo manga sometimes. The way they portray drama, the heroine, and bishounen is frustratingly feminine sometimes. I'm all for bishounen, but why is every shoujo heroine attracted to bishounen with a dark past...

[/stereotyping]
Jan 14, 2013 1:59 AM

Jan 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
Shoujo isn't a genre.

You know what I mean xD

I'm currently reading Mars by Souryo Fuyumi which I'm actually enjoying though I like Cesare more.
Jan 14, 2013 2:04 AM
Mar 2011
No. Because I know I will never be able to understand it.
naensJan 14, 2013 2:12 AM
Jan 16, 2013 1:09 PM

Jan 2011
does shoujo ai count? xD
Duh.
Jan 16, 2013 2:31 PM

Dec 2012
As long as it's good, I don't mind reading it.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jan 17, 2013 2:23 AM

Dec 2012
Love it! I'll read a bunch if it's good.
If they have a good cast i'll read the whole series!
Jan 17, 2013 11:55 PM

Mar 2011
I really loved KareKano and Furuba, more recently Bitter Virgins... currently reading Miu-sama no iu dori.

Generally, I always found shounen manga and anime unbearably stupid (even when I belonged to their age group), unless they switched to more mature themes... shoujo gerne is sparred from this kid/family-friendly syndrome that shounen and popular western titles suffer from.

The biggest problem IMHO shoujo and josei manga suffer from is their artwork... creators feel compelled to draw males as western emo gay kids, independent of their actual behavior... it's similar to all girls in shounen titles sporting either an oversized rack or not at all.
Jan 17, 2013 11:58 PM

Jun 2007
Malkuth said:
creators feel compelled to draw males as western emo gay kids, independent of their actual behavior

I haven't seen this in really any josei ever. Barely any shoujo too, though I have actually seen it appear there.
Jan 17, 2013 11:59 PM

Sep 2012
Sukitte ii na yo and Tonari no Kaibutsu kun are both great! Love reading them.
Jan 18, 2013 12:17 AM

Mar 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
Malkuth said:
creators feel compelled to draw males as western emo gay kids, independent of their actual behavior

I haven't seen this in really any josei ever. Barely any shoujo too, though I have actually seen it appear there.

OK, let's get our definitions straight then... from my perspective: a tall, ultra-thin, medium-length hair (potentially obscuring his facial expressions), beard-less teens (damn usually completely hairless kids) are what in Greece, Germany, Bavaria, England and France emo-kids tried to look like; same deal here in Japan for popular idols that try to appeal to scarred little girls... this style drawn one can see in every mainstream shoujo/josei/yaoi (for uke) release, unless the character is NOT intended as a potential romantic interest for the female MC or the seme ;)

PS: Not to be misunderstood, "to each their own"... i.e. I PERSONALLY don't like this style of drawing, as well as muscle bound macho misogynist white and black trash in western comics, and others :p

hpulley said:

Sukitte has very interesting side-characters (Asami-chi, the attention-whore turned to the MC's BFF, the older brother, the disney-freak, the Hausmeister, etc), but the male MC is just plain ridiculous... which makes Tonari's MC look even worse :p
MalkuthJan 18, 2013 12:25 AM
Jan 18, 2013 3:27 AM

Sep 2012
Malkuth said:
PS: Not to be misunderstood, "to each their own"... i.e. I PERSONALLY don't like this style of drawing, as well as muscle bound macho misogynist white and black trash in western comics, and others :p

hpulley said:

Sukitte has very interesting side-characters (Asami-chi, the attention-whore turned to the MC's BFF, the older brother, the disney-freak, the Hausmeister, etc), but the male MC is just plain ridiculous... which makes Tonari's MC look even worse :p

As you said above your comment on my comment... to each their own! I'm a guy and enjoy both those series, no matter what you say about the male MCs! :)
Jan 18, 2013 4:12 AM

Jan 2013
I've tried them, but I usually get annoyed by most of the drawing styles.
Jan 19, 2013 4:43 PM

Mar 2012
Shoujo manga's are my guilty pleasure, lol.
Jan 19, 2013 4:45 PM

May 2012
I don't usually read mangas, but if it's interesting, why not?
Jan 19, 2013 6:09 PM

Jan 2013
I don't really think that I've read/seen too much, if any, shoujo stuff, but personally I don't think I would have a problem reading it
Jan 20, 2013 6:19 AM
Jul 2018
Shoujo has never interested me that much, I would much rather pick up a shounen title.
Josei however is a pretty appealing (in my eyes) genre.
Jan 20, 2013 4:21 PM

Mar 2012
Well since many genderbenders are in the shoujo category, I have read a few.
Jan 20, 2013 4:22 PM
Mar 2011
Amadyeus said:
Shoujo has never interested me that much, I would much rather pick up a shounen title.
Josei however is a pretty appealing (in my eyes) genre.

Josei is not a genre
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 20, 2013 5:10 PM

Dec 2009
Why wouldn't I? I've read some and will read more if I find anything good. No reason not to just because it's labelled "shoujo".

If there's anything that can turn me off it's the typical art style often found in shoujo, but if it's good I'll still read it.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jan 29, 2013 5:54 PM

May 2012
I'm still getting learning manga terminology so I could be way off base but if Shoujo is like Faster than a kiss, Dengeki Daisy, or Maga Tsuki then Shoujo is my favorite I like most all kinds of shoujo except for ones with reverse harems or yaoi. I just like the story's and plots more in shoujo, theres actually stuff going on besides the next battle.... and they usually have feel-good plots which I always pleasant to read

On the other hand I can't stand romantic movies or tv shows (the Hollywood kind with real people) they just bug the crap out of me. I guess I may just be weird though lol...
Jan 30, 2013 1:26 PM

Jan 2013
The very first manga I read were mainly shoujo. I love the way it looks and the stories are often deep and nice too! :D I wouldn't know why someone would be ashamed of it :P It's nice, but I've found out lately that I like some action in it too, so rather a mix ;)
Jan 30, 2013 1:29 PM

Jan 2013
jman01 said:
I just like the story's and plots more in shoujo, theres actually stuff going on besides the next battle.... and they usually have feel-good plots which I always pleasant to read

On the other hand I can't stand romantic movies or tv shows (the Hollywood kind with real people) they just bug the crap out of me. I guess I may just be weird though lol...

Haha you said what I was thinking! I just didn't know how to explain it well :P
Jan 31, 2013 1:07 AM

Jan 2011
This is probably a silly question but I've read so few shojo manga as few as managed to keep me interested but are there any shojo manga that does not focus on romance? The romance can be there but not as the main focus of the series.
Jan 31, 2013 4:47 AM

Aug 2008
DrugzRule said:
This is probably a silly question but I've read so few shojo manga as few as managed to keep me interested but are there any shojo manga that does not focus on romance? The romance can be there but not as the main focus of the series.
Yes. Literally thousands of them. Don't read the same mainstream authors and magazines and you'll see more variety.
Jan 31, 2013 4:53 AM
Mar 2011
shinkeikaku said:
DrugzRule said:
Yes. Literally thousands of them. Don't read the same mainstream authors and magazines and you'll see more variety.

this or read the older Hana yume or Betsu ribbon or Friend
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 31, 2013 5:04 AM

Oct 2010
shinkeikaku said:
DrugzRule said:

or to make life a bit easier, you could always try using the advanced "genre search" @mangaupdates. See for yourself whether shinkeikaku can be trusted or not. XD
HAPPY SCANS!
Bringing the COOL in old school!
Jan 31, 2013 6:13 AM

Oct 2011
I don't read that much manga, but if I do it's mainly shoujo since romance is my favourite genre ^^
Feb 3, 2013 12:38 AM

Nov 2012
Never. Not very interested in this genre.
Feb 3, 2013 1:09 AM

Jul 2008
i don't care about that kind of things
if the manga good i read it

but most the times shoujo just make me sick
lots of shoujo good but there that shoujo shoujo manga like Vimper knight there no feeling in the characters face i have no idea way shoujo characters don't have feeling in there face
Feb 7, 2013 4:31 PM

Oct 2012
insan3soldiern said:
I'll read or watch pretty much anything as long as it's good and that includes Shoujo.

Exactly this.
Feb 7, 2013 5:10 PM

Feb 2012
Shoujo 4 life. Nah

I enjoy reading shoujo and I'm not afraid to admit I enjoy the cute romance stories. I like some I dislike others. If it's well done no reason not to enjoy right?
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

31 by ColdBlackTeaFan »»
3 hours ago

» Good manga to read for people starting out

Goblingaming - May 21

18 by ItsMartin432 »»
Yesterday, 10:09 AM

» Your top 10 unknown/not-well known manga ( 1 2 )

Kumoiro_Shizuki - May 16

54 by Kumoiro_Shizuki »»
Yesterday, 3:20 AM

» Help Identifying Japanese Characters(Letters) in manga

JoestarEISH_020 - May 30

6 by Stomiks »»
Jun 1, 8:18 PM

» Recently Bought Manga, Mahnwa, Manhua, or Light Novels. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maora - Oct 24, 2008

5943 by DigiCat »»
Jun 1, 2:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.