Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 1, 2010 4:40 PM
Jan 2010
2 words

this is just simply the worst episode of the naruto series

freaking pain's face getting deformed
the one who made this episode OVERDID everything

wer the hell did those water and freaking roots came from?
ITS NOT EVEN IN THE FREAKING MANGA!!

this is supposed to be a serious fight but it didint turn out to be so serious.
instead naruto and pain played whack-a-pain and turned the freaking episode into a tom and jerry show.

and about the people who says that the animation was simply "epic", WE'RE LIVING IN YEAR 2010 NOT IN FREAKING 1990 OFCOURSE THE ANIMATION WOULD BE AMAZING.
Jul 1, 2010 4:42 PM

Mar 2009
think im the one of a few who liked the animation, made the battle a lot more epic for me, easily the best episode of naruto im glad they put the filler fight in.

i just literally dont see the problem with the animation though, just because its not the same as before doesnt make it bad

also to all the people making comments about it not being realistic that pains getting hit by huge rocks and comes out unscratched. it's a teenager with a nine talied fox sealed inside of him fighting a guy who can control 6 corpses from a remote location, you shouldnt really count realism in this debate.
adam_liedJul 1, 2010 4:56 PM
Jul 1, 2010 4:48 PM

Sep 2008
Naruto animation is usually pure garbage so I liked it better this way. CCs_No1_Fanboy was right, it was done just to show that this fight is happening on a whole different level. I doubt we'd see it again after Naruto vs. Pein. However, If they toned down the body distortion, it would work well with other fights, too. After all, one of the keys to good character animation is to over-exaggerate character expressions.
Jul 1, 2010 5:06 PM

Jan 2010
it was a good ep but i didnt like the animation very much. It was too much like how they did it in the fight between Naruto and Sasuke. But the fight was epic i just think they should have slowed it down just a little my personal opinion.
A man who knows nothing and says something IS the dumbest person alive. A man who knows something and says nothing could possibly be the smartest person in the world -Unknown

Jul 1, 2010 5:49 PM

Oct 2007
I can't believe the animation was like this.. It just doesn't seem epic to me and this fight deserves to be epic.. I'm not hating on it entirely, but there was too much distortion..
Jul 1, 2010 6:03 PM
Nov 2009
O.o I thought I was only immagining that Naruto got a different animation apparently I wasn't :O. I don't like the new animation tbh but it was a good episode.
Jul 1, 2010 6:04 PM

Oct 2009
This is the beginning of the end. This is what anime is all about people. This episode is "quite literally" the definition of anime.
Peoplestring - where you get paid to use the web as you please - http://www.peoplestring.com/?f=xenoknight.

Project Xeno Origin - my organization for RPG lovers and localization efforts - https://www.facebook.com/PXOrigin

http://nekoo.hostzi.com/C.S.E.A.G/1000+%20LE/Public/page8/Xenoknight.png
Jul 1, 2010 6:07 PM
Sep 2009
That was some epic stuff right there.

Despite the trippy animation, this was one of the best eps to date. Can't wait to see what happens next ep.
Jul 1, 2010 6:20 PM
Jun 2010
This word describes this episode:

marshmallow

The animation is so bad I almost thought it was a troll episode (seriously). The fight itself was great but why the fuck are the character this episode made of marshmallow.

They should have used ep 166 animation instead of wasting it on Hinata (LOLOLOL)

A pure fighting episode shouldn't be visually disgusting.

1/5 for this episode. Hahahaha.

Jul 1, 2010 6:23 PM
Jul 2010
Episode was dope. I think many people forget that the "cartoon" like quality of the fight is something the has always been a part of naruto. This show draws heavily from Dragonball Z (in respect). I think they have taken what DBZ did and gone way beyond. They are able to blend the silliness into an intensely epic moment, and in my opinion, not ruin it (like a great chef blends drastically different ingredients). We have been waiting SOOOO long for Pein to REALLY feel Pain. This show is such a great narrative. Pein is just a human, who fancies himself a god. He has, until now, been able to back it up without changing facial expressions. Now......oh now......Now he's messed with the wrong individual, and we SEE it in his face. It's that simple. We all make those faces as we get our butts kicked by someone we shouldn't have messed with. It was cathartic. Not only did Pein feel it, he got thrown into the side of a mountain, like Frieza when Goku got PISSED (and went SS)! But this was better (rubble crushing his twitching body) ! Oh was this better! This Pein, is a punk!! He stepped out his box and got smacked down!!! That was the point. He thought he knew pain, but as you see at the end, he admits that he had no clue. He was stupid. And after all that, what ELSE do we get, THE FOURTH. Okay. You keep hating about nothing. I'm gonna enjoy this..... cause it's getting real good.
Jul 1, 2010 6:26 PM
Jul 2010
adam_lied said:
think im the one of a few who liked the animation, made the battle a lot more epic for me, easily the best episode of naruto im glad they put the filler fight in.

i just literally dont see the problem with the animation though, just because its not the same as before doesnt make it bad

also to all the people making comments about it not being realistic that pains getting hit by huge rocks and comes out unscratched. it's a teenager with a nine talied fox sealed inside of him fighting a guy who can control 6 corpses from a remote location, you shouldnt really count realism in this debate.

You my n*gga..............
Jul 1, 2010 7:13 PM

Dec 2009
i am very, very dissapointed with this episode >.> i hate this animation! it's so unrealistic! they look like plastiline! and the extra fight scenes were bad... come one! this was my favorite manga chapter! why did the had to screw it in the anime!?? D:
Jul 1, 2010 8:43 PM

Dec 2009
adam_lied said:

I agree... Being posessed by the nine tails would be a pretty surreal experience, so the filler scene helped me to trip out on the idea a little. By letting the nine tails out, Naruto is relinquishing some of his sanity. I thought it was an interesting interpretation. Not very Naruto-ish... but interesting. (All right - it was kind of funny, too.)
Jul 1, 2010 8:53 PM

Mar 2010
Really getting sick of the animation quality changing so much every episode :- \
Jul 1, 2010 9:09 PM

Jul 2009
Loved the episode but the animation threw me off a bit. It was way to over exaggerated imo. Hopefully they will tone it down a bit next time lol.
Jul 1, 2010 9:28 PM

Feb 2008
Crap fight Animation, but the last 2 minutes of the chap, was amazing, almost cry when yondaime grab the hand of naruto

I know is the father of naruto, whould be pure win, when yondaine say "Naruto", in that moment naruto have to say Father and then the ending.

Good chap , not so good in the animation style, btw when you see the face of sakura, she looks realy cute.

Jul 1, 2010 9:47 PM
Jun 2008
Somehow this is not a ninja fight anymore.
This is the next generation of Dragon ball...
Hope the earth can still withstand till Naruto end.

^^ the stupid bicycle song finally being change.I like the new ED song
MorningGloryJul 1, 2010 9:59 PM
Jul 1, 2010 10:21 PM

Jan 2009
pain reminds me of sonic when he starts running in 4:50 :D
and lol at ED they changed it for Sakura xD
Jul 1, 2010 10:31 PM

Feb 2008
Well, they actually managed to destroy pains character, they added a lot of shit that would kill pain, but he shrugs it of like terminator. They have artwork that probably is made while high on shrooms.

1/5. Worst shit ever.
Jul 1, 2010 11:10 PM

May 2010
Minato Namikaze = Bad Ass!!
Speed Kills, Strength Punishes.

Jul 1, 2010 11:18 PM
Jul 2010
Some people here don't seem to get that art =/= animation. The animation in this episode was godly, it's just that the art was kind of off. I believe the one who animated this episode also did the Naruto vs Sasuke fight in 133. He is known notoriously for his amazing animation with terrible art style. I guess you people only care about your characters looking good compared to having amazing fluid animation in your fights, though.

This episode was great nonetheless, I just wish we had this kind of animation in the beginning when Naruto first showed up to show off his sage mode.
Jul 1, 2010 11:18 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Epic meeting with the fourth hokage.

Jul 1, 2010 11:20 PM

Apr 2009
I normally don't watch the Naruto anime... I stick to the manga. I'm glad I watched this episode. The fight was both hilarious and amazing. Hilarious with the 'whack-a-mole' Pain, and amazing with some of the shots like Naruto belly-up in the water in front of the Kyuubi cage and Yondaime in front the sun, and the chaotic animation that really conveyed the energy and movement and messiness of the battle. Love the music that accompanied the Kyuubi breaking free.

Doesn't Naruto do this a lot with the battles? Drop in art, but increase in animation frames. Pierrot is not a very rich studio, so if I had to pick between the two, I'd go for the more fluid fights.
Jul 1, 2010 11:44 PM
Nov 2007
I really liked this episode. However, I see a lot of people saying they hated the animation. I don't understand why. I didn't like little things at certain times, but it was awesome, I love it when they switch styles during fights. It takes it away from the usual animation and art, and gives it a special feel to it, making it a lot better of a fight then if they did it using the normal animation. It would just be the same thing, no difference from every other naruto episode.
Jul 1, 2010 11:51 PM

Jan 2008
The art sucked in this episode. D=

Oooh.. Minato in the ending.

I like the new ending song.
Jul 2, 2010 12:04 AM

Feb 2010
Its funny that people say the art sucks yet it actually makes Sakura look like a girl, I dont like Sakura but when I saw her with those cute eyes, it makes me want to hug her :3
Jul 2, 2010 12:27 AM
Jul 2010
First of all...
its nice that they put some thought into it to make the mangabattle acctualy a long episode. I enjoied the action and exspecial the 2nd part was great.

HOWEVER i felt let down by the mass amount of flaws this episode did show...

0:30 all those "foxes" look like bunny abominations urghs.
0:33 a hurricane? well erm ok naruto is wind element lets give them that.
1.12 looney toon style boxing. i admit it looks good but looney toon style begins here.
1.16 here we see awesome naruto animation as we are used to!

1.27-1.28 seriously wtf? epic deformation of face and that hit would not only toast his skin (see episode at heaven and earth bridge with sakura) but also rip his head off. epic fail, worst drawing... just terrible.

1.38 whack a mole... i dont even... no... JUST NO!
1.54 after being beaten "STRAIGHT!" into the ground he raises from a lying down position. sense? there is none.

2.42 - 2.46 would you call that artstyle worthy of naruto? exspecial his face at 2.46? it looks more like bad drawn modern art.

2.48 lets add some water to the fight? sense? none? any use against the nine tails? not really. is the water the worst drawn in any of the naruto episodes? definatly! is it a remake of the naruto sasuke fight? definatly showing through.

3.15 pain the roadrunner.... wrong to the extreme -.-

3.20 dolphin jumping style, hey we also got flipper now.

3.32 and ongoing bad referal to war/action movies. gave me the impression of beind under artillery fire. again a hard remake of the naruto vs sasuke fight just with more projectiles.

4.35 the root being enflamed by the metal grinding on it ok... but and explosive flame like that? *facepalm*

5.41 looks like a scene on sea instead of land and was probably borrowed from another episode. also i admit its hard to give water the right color but compared to the naruto vs sasuke fight the edges are horrible made and it looks as if the color white was prefered used which is bad imo.

6.02 next horroble cartoon face. this time even grabbed directly by naruto? guess what? exactly! no burn marks.

6.18-6.20 another cartoonface but considering the airpressure and not being overstretched this is acctualy fitting. thumbs up for this

6.34 and onoing
knocks without entering the wall straight into it, yet stays lying arround in the air as if being half into.... wrong -.-.

7.13-7.14 pure fail.
pain after being hit by rocks is not under them but underground...eh what?
pain rises in a STANDING position after falling in a lying position. let us remember 1.54 were he got knocked straight into the ground and suddenly was lying.... fail of epic proportions.

7.16 the rock looks rather like a copydraw from a missile and has similar sound.

10.40 pain uses inlineskater

10.45 again badly drawn faceshape. somewhat understandble but about the edge in my oppinion.

11.02 pain not touching trees but changing direction at will. awesome he can fly... unreasonable and why not do it before? you could call it gliding if he would acctualy loose height...

seriously there are so much flaws with this episode it made me hurt to watch it. i hope it dont continues in the ongoing ones.
RuyiweiJul 2, 2010 12:33 AM
Jul 2, 2010 12:32 AM

Apr 2009
Jul 2, 2010 12:37 AM

Feb 2009
the negatives:

- this episode was hard as fuck to follow. half of the fight I was trying to figure out why pain was sent flying in the air like a rag doll.

- since when can pain take that kind of a beating? one punch to his head from naruto's fox mode should have ripped it clean off.

- they completely changed the first half of the naruto vs. pain fight. apparently pain can use earth/ water moves now.

- compared to the episode 133 fight, they overdid the animation, imo. I was literally laughing at most of the fight.

- naruto's attacks made no god dam sense besides when he fired lasers. for the most part, it looked like he was just slinging random parts of his fox body at him.

*nitpicking*
- how is that slug stil alive on naruto's body? you would think it would of been killed from being within the fox cloak, I thought that shit burned everything cuz it was pure evil or w.e.

- I lol'd at hinata being conveniently placed on a rock above the water and moved further from the fight.

the pros:

+ pretty much as soon as they left the village, the episode was so somewhat redeemed. yea, I liked the second half of the episode a lot, no complaints.
Gt_MachineJul 2, 2010 12:40 AM
Jul 2, 2010 12:40 AM

Jul 2009
smokes said:

Falcon PUNCH!!

the shock wave deformed his face XD
Jul 2, 2010 12:44 AM

Apr 2009
well to all the haters out there, i for one love the over the top and silly animation.
in fact, my favourite episodes are the ones that featured this artstyle.
Jul 2, 2010 12:56 AM
Jul 2010
iMaim said:
well to all the haters out there, i for one love the over the top and silly animation.

its not only the art style. there are so much scenes in this episode that make no sense from the knowledge we have from the previous naruto episodes (demon fox cloak burns burns burns) that it hurts.

to that come even worse additions like pain first going roadrunner at 3.15, than inline skating at 10.40 and even flying at free will at 11.02 which make this episode just a ridicolous piece of crap.
Jul 2, 2010 1:21 AM

Jan 2010
This episode was kind of weird. I don't really like it. Maybe next time.
Jul 2, 2010 1:24 AM

May 2009
Ruyiwei said:
iMaim said:

its not only the art style. there are so much scenes in this episode that make no sense from the knowledge we have from the previous naruto episodes (demon fox cloak burns burns burns) that it hurts.

to that come even worse additions like pain first going roadrunner at 3.15, than inline skating at 10.40 and even flying at free will at 11.02 which make this episode just a ridicolous piece of crap.

That's the problem i have with it. I could forgive the bad art style if the fight made sense, which it didn't at all. By the time the filler fight is over Pain should be dead at least 20 times.
Jul 2, 2010 1:42 AM
Mar 2010
Ruyiwei said:

Isn't that also related to the art style? Now you're just nitpicking. I can't really say anything about how much it was different from the manga since I haven't read it but on a technical level, the animation was pretty damn good.

You can say anything you want about the funny faces and the lack of details but seriously, compared to a lot anime, Naruto shippuden's artwork is nothing to brag about to begin with. In exchange to that, this episode offers fluid fight scenes which is rare nowadays and that's what makes the characters come alive.

If it would happened to be extremely detailed but with crappy animation, won't that just be the same as the manga plus voice acting?
Jul 2, 2010 2:08 AM

May 2008
love the new ed :D awesome episode but im not a fan of the tails , rather a normal fight

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jul 2, 2010 2:29 AM

Apr 2009
Jul 2, 2010 2:32 AM
Jul 2010
kipmantave said:
Ruyiwei said:

Isn't that also related to the art style? Now you're just nitpicking. I can't really say anything about how much it was different from the manga since I haven't read it but on a technical level, the animation was pretty damn good.

care to explain how making a charackter perform totaly unreasonable abilitys as mentioned above by me

AND!

making a charackter withstand the for the anime known strongest beating like it would be flinging cotton at him (demon fox cloak punch = heavy, damaging and demon fox cloak burns the skin of....even orochimaru had to "reincarnate" his body) is in anyway related to the art style?

if you like it or not thats up to you, but dont tell me i am nitpicking when one unreasonable thing happens after another.

as for the animation it was horrible shit. i am used to morphing objects with 3ds max and even using a hardskeleton puppet with rubberskin at 1800 miles per second (1/100 lightspeed) when i tell the program to keep them skin on the puppet dont has such horrible deformed outcomes.

kipmantave said:

You can say anything you want about the funny faces and the lack of details but seriously, compared to a lot anime, Naruto shippuden's artwork is nothing to brag about to begin with.

Its stil anime and not cartoon.

kipmantave said:

If it would happened to be extremely detailed but with crappy animation, won't that just be the same as the manga plus voice acting?

No that would be rather an audio book.
RuyiweiJul 2, 2010 2:36 AM
Jul 2, 2010 2:49 AM

Nov 2008
Let's thanks the producer for making pain's face so ugly.
Jul 2, 2010 2:51 AM

Jul 2008
bout time he showed up next week epicness

5/5
Jul 2, 2010 2:54 AM

Jul 2009
Ruyiwei said:
kipmantave said:
Ruyiwei said:

I just registered few hours ago just to argue on teh forums, im not a troll

as for the animation it was horrible shit. i am used to morphing objects with 3ds max blah blah blah i totally forgot Naruto breaks the laws of physics countless times ( so comparing 3D software using real world formulas and equations to a 2d show about ninjas is pretty pointless ) like when pain can make moons on earth but ill ignore that fact because more interested in pains face
kipmantave said:

You can say anything you want about the funny faces and the lack of details but seriously, compared to a lot anime, Naruto shippuden's artwork is nothing to brag about to begin with.

Its still a anime and a cartoon because both are the same thing, cept anime is reserved for japan when cartoon is worldwide

definition - cartoon:
a motion picture consisting of a sequence of drawings, each so slightly different that when filmed the figures seem to move.

kipmantave said:

No that would be rather Slideshow with sound or minus the extremely detailed and replace with sub-bar Art and keep the smooth character movement/actions out and it will be 70% of the standard Naruto animation

FIXED, done with my daily maintenance
suprhiroJul 2, 2010 3:28 AM
Jul 2, 2010 3:02 AM
Jul 2008
You are all a bunch of fucking idiots.

Thank you.
Jul 2, 2010 3:04 AM
Jul 2010
Badhiro said:
Ruyiwei said:
kipmantave said:
Ruyiwei said:

I just registered few hours ago because i felt outragoues about the episode and i can state my oppinion if i feel so

i say its anime and not cartoon because the animation is acctualy better. hense anime is genereal aknowledged as term for a better drawn and more flawless animation

Badhiro said:

kipmantave said:

No that would be rather Slideshow with sound or minus the extremely detailed and replace with sub-bar Art and it will be 70% of the standard Naruto animation

FIXED

also i dont know much about 3d application programs but i seemingly like the fact that a so far reasonable anime needs no more reason to make charackters do whatever they want and that any charackter can drag whatever godlike ability out of their pocket aslong as they get in the same way deformed as i can play with my modeling clay. after all hey they have rubberbones that get back in place when being smacked on with a 2 ton rock...right? right?

Fixed again
RuyiweiJul 2, 2010 3:17 AM
Jul 2, 2010 3:12 AM
Aug 2008
this was probably the best naruto ep ever!
Jul 2, 2010 3:16 AM

Jan 2010
This reminded me of TTGL somehow. I have nothing against this type of animation generally, but it totally does not fit in with Naruto.
Score Criteria:
Jul 2, 2010 3:36 AM

Dec 2009
xXSpiritSempaiXx said:
What was up with this weird animation of pain's face and him running around like a cartoon character in the water ? XD Otherwise, naruto going 8 tails was epic Oo Looks like the animation will be back to normal next week ( thank goodness )

This.
Finally some good-old Nine-tails action. But,, did I miss something? Were did all those bones come from and what are their purpose?

LOL At Pain's dolphin style and his whack-a-mole face.
Jul 2, 2010 3:48 AM

Oct 2008
They made it more dramatic in the manga..

But I'm happy about seeing Yondaime again. :)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jul 2, 2010 3:53 AM
Feb 2010
The animation was terrible, however the story of the episode was awesome. Hated the laser part and whole Tom and Jerry "catch me if you can" stuff, but because of the story and the ending I give it 3/5.
Jul 2, 2010 3:55 AM
Jun 2008
Badhiro said:
smokes said:

Falcon PUNCH!!

the shock wave deformed his face XD
Should have just died after that punch
Jul 2, 2010 3:56 AM

Jul 2009
SilentSympathy said:

Finally some good-old Nine-tails action. But,, did I miss something? Were did all those bones come from and what are their purpose?

Think it has something to do with the amount of tails Naruto showing. The more tails -> the closer manifistation of the nine-tails himself; Like at the end when we could see the musculature of him. As for where they come from.... Magic?

Also, roadrunner Pain!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
BrustablettJul 2, 2010 4:02 AM
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 73 Discussion ( 1 2 )

xLtay - Aug 28, 2008

52 by natsuyah »»
Yesterday, 2:49 PM

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 14 Discussion

izikiel - May 17, 2007

31 by pickyotaku »»
Jun 1, 1:15 PM

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 166 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Knave - Jun 24, 2010

216 by KoniginElle »»
May 26, 10:26 AM

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 213 Discussion ( 1 2 )

711 - May 26, 2011

85 by Fludddd »»
May 25, 7:53 PM

» Who are your top 20 favorite Naruto characters?

SupremeGod - May 13

35 by Chunkzz422 »»
May 22, 12:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.