Aug 2010
Great Dubs:
Code Geass
Yu Yu Hakusho

Good Dubs:
Death Note
Gurren Lagann
Dragon Ball Z
よ!僕はジェフです。エンジニアです。日本語が下手です。もっと勉強しなきゃいけない!
Dec 27, 2010 1:26 PM

Jan 2010
The only series i would watch in dubs over the subs would be

FMA (2003)
Black Lagoon
Code Gease
Blasreiter
ergo Proxy :)

and Yugioh 5D's nah i'm screwing with you on the last one.
Dec 29, 2010 11:17 AM
Jan 2010
I rarely watch anime in dub but I have seen some snippets, or just some episodes in dub. I have to say Death Note was pretty good. .hack//SIGN was fairly decent.
I saw a lot of DBZ in dubs and I thought it was pretty good.
Dec 29, 2010 11:25 AM

Jan 2010
Baccano, Ouran HSHC, Fruits Basket, Nabari no Ou.
Can't think of anything else :p
Dec 29, 2010 11:44 AM

Jun 2010
Beck Mongolian Chop Squad - Because there's a lot of slang and watching the sub, with all of its translation notes, will kill you. Also because there are songs that the characters sing in English. For a Japanese viewer there's coolness factor of singing in a different language. An American viewer however hears how badly the voice actor is butchering our language. You're going to want to watch the dub for this series

Baccano! - Since it takes place in America, watching it in English gives you the opportunity to hear all the different American 30's accents. You miss out on this added atmosphere by not watching the English dub.

Romeo X Juliet - With the sub you get an English translation. With the dub you get more appropriate Elizabethan lingo.
--Marigolds
Dec 29, 2010 11:56 AM

Jun 2010
Trigun also, it's much more rewarding in English since it's implied throughout the series that the characters are American.
--Marigolds
Dec 29, 2010 12:06 PM

Dec 2008
Baccano,Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Death Note, Ouran, Black Lagoon, Beck, Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist, Welcome to the NHK, Fullmetal Panic, Darker than Black, Eden of the East, Haruhi, Gurren Lagann, GTO, Rurouni Kenshin, Planetes, Azumanga Daioh, Fate Stay Night, DBZ, Cromartie, Akira... i could keep goin, most of these i consider better than their japanese dub
Dec 29, 2010 12:35 PM

Sep 2010
Kind of odd how your rationalization on why Baccano was good dubbed, realistic representation of accents contradicts why you think Beck has a good dub. Since their band is Japanese and we see them in Japan and America their singing in English would most likely have a Japanese accent. That would be a representation of Jrock.

So saying "Yea" to fake 30s accents while in the same post saying "Nay" to real Japanese accents seems a bit off.
Anime_NameDec 29, 2010 1:38 PM

Dec 30, 2010 2:30 PM
Jan 2008
Danzivar said:
The original non disney dub of Laputa was rather good.

Are you kidding me?! That older dub was bloody awful. Just about EVERYBODY in the cast sounded both lifeless and irritating, and there was absolutely NO emotion in any of their lines. Plus, the scripting was just plain bad: "I'm built as hard as a brick moppet"? Yes, it's less loose than Disney's version, but that doesn't make it better. Everything about it is bottom barrel quality. Except for maybe perhaps the General.

But otherwise I'd rather hear Disney's dub; mature as the leads are and chatty as the script is, its overall production values and execution are much stronger and on par with today's dubs. The rescore by Hisaishi is also a plus.
Dec 30, 2010 8:36 PM

Feb 2010
I've never seen an anime with a good sub except lucky star has an okay one XD
Probably because it's slice of life and has no dramatic scenes
Dub ruins all the dramatic scenes and makes me laugh Dx
Dec 30, 2010 8:58 PM
Dec 2010
Baccano has a great dub.
Last Exile.
Solty Rei.
Black Cat.
Jan 3, 2011 7:45 AM

Apr 2009
Death Note. That's the only dub I liked
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Jan 3, 2011 11:45 AM

Nov 2008
Beck - Mongolian Chop Squad. It is one of those rare 5% anime where the english dub is actually better than the japanese. And the music in it is incredible. Grey Ayres needs to stop being a voice actor, and become a vocalist for a band.
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO//AMD Ryzen 7 5800X//2x Crucial P3 Plus 2TB NVMe in RAID0//Seagate 6TB Internal HDD//Western Digital 12TB External HDD//Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz CL16 DDR4//Gigabyte Gaming RTX 3080Ti//Cougar Panzer//EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT//Corsair H100i v2//Cooler Master Tempest GP27Q 27" 1440p 165hz//AOC U2790VQ 27" 4k
Jan 3, 2011 6:36 PM

Sep 2010
Otanii said:
Beck - Mongolian Chop Squad. It is one of those rare 5% anime where the english dub is actually better than the japanese. And the music in it is incredible. Grey Ayres needs to stop being a voice actor, and become a vocalist for a band.

Yeah maybe if he did that people would then realize he can't sing

Jan 3, 2011 9:16 PM

Mar 2009
A lot of current dubs sound pretty bad to me. Maybe it is because all I've been watching for the past two years are subs. Very early dubs sound like crap. More recent ones sound very amateurish, largely because the distribution companies are feeling the pinch are are cutting corners on scripting and on first class voice actors. When they get it right, a dub can actually work better for English speaking audiences because of the way some things translate, or don't translate well.

-Before ADV folded a two or three years ago they turned out some of the best dubs in the business. I really miss them. They also included great extras that explained aspects of Japanese culture, interviews with voice actors and more. Some of their best are:
Arc the Lad
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Chrono Crusade
D.N. Angel
Elfen Lied
Full Metal Panic!
Gantz
Gasaraki
Getbackers
Ghost Stories (the dub has nothing what so ever to do with the original script. It is the ADV crew screwing around and it is hilarious!)
Gilgamesh
Grave of the Fireflies
Gravion
Kaleido Star
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
Le Chevalier D'Eon
Madlax
Moonlight Mile
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ninja Resurrection
Noir
Princess Tutu
Rah Xephon
Red Garden
Saiyuki
Saiyuki: Requiem
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Utawarerumono
Venus Versus Virus
Voices of a Distant Star

Some great ADV voice actors: Greg Ayres, Hilary Haag, Braden Hunt, David Matranga, Vic Mignogna, Chris Patton, Illich Guardiola, Jason Douglas . . .

-Bandai Entertainment put out some good ones like"
Argento Soma
Betterman
Big O
Cowboy Bebop (Beau Billingslea, Steven Blum)
Escaflowne
Eureka Seven
Flag
Ghost in the Shell
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Kaze no Yojimbo
Mars Daybreak
Most of the Gundam's
Mugen no Ryvius
Onegai Teacher
Outlaw Star
Planetes
Scryed
Seikai no Senki
Seikai no Senki II
Seikai no Monshou
Silent Mobius
Witch Hunter Robin
Wolf's Rain
Yukikaze

-Central Park Media
Armored Trooper Votoms
Beast City
Big Wars
Black Jack
Cyber City Oedo 808
Mobile Police Patlabor
Patlabor
Record of Lodoss WAr
Revolutionary Girl Utena

-Disney did most if not all the Miyazazki dubs and they are excellent.
Castle in the Sky
Gake no Ue no Ponyo
Howl's MOving Castle
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns
Whisper of the Heart
.....and a couple I haven't seen yet

-FUNimation does o.k. sometimes:
(Note - You'll see some old ADV titles listed under FUNimation because they bought them when ADV went under.)
Baki the Grappler
Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou
Beck
Black Blood Brothers
Black Cat
Black Lagoon
Blue Gender
Elemental Gelade
Ergo Proxy
Fruits Basket
Full Metal Painc! The Second Raid
Fullmetal Alchemist
Gad Guard
Galaxy Railways
Gankutsuou
*Ghost Hunt sucked!!!
Glass no Kantai
Gun x Sword
Gungrave
Gunslinger girl
HeatGuy J
Kiddy Grade
Last Exile
Lupin III
Mushishi
Negima
Red Garden
Samurai 7
Samurai Champloo
Solty Rei
Speed Grapher
Spiral
Tsubasa Chronicle
Vandread
Witchblade

-Media Blasters did a few:
Ah! My Goddess
Angel Sanctuary
Berserk
Cosmo Warrior Zero
Eight Clouds Rising
Fake
Figure 17
Genshiken
Hi no Tori
If I See You in My Dreams
Kite
Loveless
Mezzo Forte
Mirage of Blaze
Otogizoushi
Rurouni Kenshin
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Seirei no Moribito (heard they did a good job. I only watched the sub)
Weis Kreuz & Weis Kreuz Gluhen

-Pioneer can do o.k.
Chobits
Hellsing
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku (Now and then, Here and there)
Jikuu Tenshou Nazca
Serial Experiments Lain
Sol Bianca: The Legacy
SoulTaker
Texhnolyze

-When Viz Media uses the studio in Vancouver, B.C., Canada (can't remember the name) they turn out some good stuff like:
Ayashi no Ceres
Bleach
Death Note
InuYasha (Ian Richard Cox, Kirby Borrow, David Kaye - Sesshomaru [Yum])
Naruto
Prince of Tennis
Saikano
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Jan 5, 2011 9:57 AM
Feb 2010
xxxHolic definitely tops my list of good Dubs, Yuuko's character has so much more added to it, and Doumeki has an awesome dead-pan, even though they are just using some of the most used Funimation voice actors. I am trying to hold out on watching the sequel to see if it will get licensed.

Ghost in the Shell SAC has excellent dubs also, the entire cast was done really well.

All of Studio Ghibli's films are pro dubs.

Ouran High School Host Club. Tamaki is done so true to his character and is a stand out dub, and the rest of the cast is talented enough to keep up with it.

Soul Eater I have to disagree with, the dub is good but the Japanese voice actors are so much better that they make the series a notch or two above the dubbed version.

Samurai Champloo's Mugen was way better in Japanese but it really depends on how much importance you put on his character I guess, the dub was good enough that you won't get distracted by poor voice acting.

Those are my stand-outs as far as dubs go, I won't bother with the others that have been repeated so many times already.
Jan 5, 2011 10:10 AM
Feb 2010
TTGL, the giga drill breakers are better
Jan 6, 2011 6:25 PM

Sep 2009
I rarely watch shows dubbed. But if accidently downloaded a show with Double Audio, I always check both languishes. And the best I've heard are:
Baccano
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note ( I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT)
Fullmetal Alchemist
Soul Eater (Even tho the original cast is lightyears better, it's still a soild dub)
Spice & Wolf
"I don't believe in a lot of things but I do believe in duct tape!"

Jan 6, 2011 6:37 PM

Aug 2010
Q:"Which anime is good in Dub?"

A: None.

But really, I think the only dubs I didn't completely hate were Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, and even then the original versions were better.
Jan 6, 2011 6:41 PM

Nov 2010
think I already posted here... ermm anyway I heart TTGL dub because IMO viral's dubbed voice is WAYYY sexier :P
Jan 6, 2011 7:33 PM

Sep 2010
Fake_Sketch said:
TTGL, the giga drill breakers are better

Those had no flare.

Jan 6, 2011 9:56 PM

Aug 2008
Kaze no Stigma
Jan 6, 2011 10:43 PM

Aug 2010
Series that have stood out for me with their dub work:
Baccano! The series is set in America, imo the English VA cast do a better job of portraying the time period than the Japanese VA cast does.

Gurren Lagann. Translation 'flaws' aside (giga drill breaker v. giga drill break, which people constantly bring up for reasons unknown to me), the cast are suitably over the top and burning with battle spirit. Viral, young!Simon and Kamina are probably the strongest voices of the English dub, but everyone's good.

Code Geass. Particularly obvious with Lelouch, who sounds much more...lively in English compared to his Japanese counterpart, who is suitably scheming sounding but tends to sound as though he's woken up from a nap. Again, the entire cast is solid.

Cowboy Bebop. Brilliant English cast, especially Spike.
Actually, speaking of Spike, look up Steven Blum's roles and pick anime dubs he has a main role in, I personally think he's one of the most talented guys in the industry.

Honestly, the only 'bad' dubs really are the stuff from the '90's prior, when the thing was to drastically cut series for the English release (Robotech, Sailor Moon, One Piece) and companies cheaped out of lip syncing animation. If you can watch English action series without squirming, you can put up with the majority of modern voice work in dubs. c:
Jan 7, 2011 12:31 AM

Jun 2009
Beck Mongolian Chop Squad

This tops my best dubs list. It was so good I started reading manga because of it.

It's one of the animes that doesn't get the amount of credit it deserves
Jan 8, 2011 9:02 AM

Dec 2010
I don't normally remember my opinions on the VA of anime that I've watched, since I place more emphasis on storyline, characters etc. However, I'll add my name to the long list of those saying Baccano! has a good english dub. Gotta love those 30s American accents.

I also liked Death Note, Code Geass, Lucky Star, (with the exception of Patricia Martin), Haruhi and Haibane Renmei.
Jan 8, 2011 9:56 AM

Feb 2010
Evangelion: You Are (Not) Alone has surprisingly good english actors.
Spice and Wolf's dub has mediocre actors, but Holo's actress, Brina Palencia, did a very good job, so I'd say the dub is watchable. This from someone who usually hates dubs. ^^

Hmm...also DBZ - I really think the english dub was better then the original japanese. Compare Goku's voice in both.
Of course, my opinion may have been influenced by my watching DBZ as a kid. =P
Jan 8, 2011 1:43 PM

Aug 2009
Naruto seasons even shippuden: Hmmph, the fansub is great =)
& easy to understand.

Even Gakuen Alice.
invisible signature \m/
Jan 8, 2011 3:53 PM
Jul 2018
A new dub that I thought was done really well is Eden of the East.
Jan 14, 2011 1:28 PM
Mar 2010
Honestly, to me, after they started to cast actual voice actors instead of radiopeople, dubbed anime has gotten much better. Honestly, I haven't found one show from Funimation that I haven't enjoyed because of the voice actors. But of course, FMA is probably my favorite dubbed version of any anime.
Jan 14, 2011 5:14 PM
Feb 2010
Totally agreed on the awesomeness of Funimation.

Nerima Daikon Brothers, anyone? That should would be nowhere near as funny to an American audience, the dub was just fantastic and only added to it.

I also enjoy a lot of dubs where it's supposed to be in English, such as Baccano! or Steamboy. They just wouldn't feel the same.
Jan 14, 2011 6:32 PM
Aug 2010
Dragon ball... that's not only good Dubbed ... but for me also the only one I can't stand to see (hear) in Japanese. All the rest I think original is better than dubbed... I don't like most dubbed versions because the voices just don't sound right. Maybe it's just a matter of bad casting of voice actors?
Jan 15, 2011 8:43 PM

Jan 2008
Full Metal Alchemist is always top of my list. Death Note and Neon Genesis follow afterwards.
Jan 15, 2011 9:16 PM

Nov 2010
GTO - the dub version is infinitely more funny
(maybe watch the sub version if you haven't seen the series yet)
Jan 17, 2011 7:12 PM

Aug 2010
Spirited Away
Soul Eater
Fruits Basket
Kiki's Delivery Service
Howl's Moving Castle
Inuyasha
Bleach

at least thats my opinion
Jan 17, 2011 7:30 PM

Jan 2011
Full Metal Alchemist is pretty good
and i heard Heroic Age is better in dub
Aug 18, 2016 10:37 AM
Jan 2016
I love the FMA:B, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Code Geass and Steins;Gate dubs. Probably a pretty popular opinion though.
**possibly unpopular opinion: I think the Bleach dub is WAYYYY better than the sub. At least for the main characters.
Aug 18, 2016 1:02 PM
Feb 2014
The Prison School dub is the new gold standard for its stunning bravery.
Aug 18, 2016 1:04 PM

Mar 2016
I like Shiki and Death Note dubbed :/... and Spirited Away. Imo, the Free! dub is nothing like the Japanese version and atrocious.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Aug 18, 2016 1:15 PM

Jun 2015
-Death Parade
-Black Lagoon
-Haruhi Suzumiya

-Barakamon
-One Piece
-Ping Pong The animation
-Noragami
-Fate/Zero
-Kill La Kill
-Ghost Stories (if you don't mind the comedic tone)
-Golden Boy
-Hellsing Ultimate
-Ninja Slayer
-Gurren Lagann
-Steins;Gate
-Soul Eater

Granted though, my opinion on this topic shouldn't be trusted.
TshepilepciAug 18, 2016 1:29 PM
"I have respect for those who have lived a full life."
- Decim (Death Parade)
"I want to deliver your eulogy."

- Otshepagetse

Aug 18, 2016 1:22 PM
Captain Eyepatch

Dec 2015
Many popular anime have a great dub.

An underrated with a great dub would be: Jormugand.
Aug 18, 2016 1:36 PM

Dec 2012
Way too many to list here, around 236 various series, movies and OVAs in my opinion, based on what I've seen.
KruszerAug 18, 2016 1:41 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Aug 18, 2016 1:46 PM

Feb 2010
Outlanders
Gall Force
Slayers
You're Under Arrest

I've recently found that I tend to enjoy dubs of these kid of 80s and 90s shows despite usually being very sub-only oriented. Most of the biggest issues I tend to have with dubs aren't very relevant there.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 18, 2016 1:52 PM

Apr 2015
Most of what's been listed I agree with. but for outlaw star and black lagoon, I hated the dubs. Mostly because the MC's sounded so annoying. Though for black lagoon , having heard the subbed ver. first there was too much dissonance in the attitudes of the characters for me.

Now for my contribution, I quite enjoyed Steins' Gate and Index(has some of the same cast as soul eater)
ProfsrRandusAug 18, 2016 1:59 PM
Tick tock, tick tock.
The gears continued to spin.
Regularly, mechanically, inevitably.
And so, they continued to count time as it existed.
Even as clocks stopped, it meant nothing.
Even when damaged, twisted, the wheel of time would continue to spin.
Regularly, mechanically, inevitably.

Tick tock, tick tock
Aug 18, 2016 1:59 PM

Mar 2016
People tend to get used to whatever language is in their first run through a show unless it's absolute shit.
ProfsrRandus said:
Though for black lagoon , having heard the subbed ver. first there was too much dissonance in the attitudes of the characters for me.

The sub was actually pretty bad, especially with the tryhard engrish.
Other than that English would make the most sense as the language that all of the characters are speaking and the English script fits the tone of the series a lot more.
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Aug 18, 2016 2:19 PM

Jul 2014
For me the only stuff that are close to not passable or just plain bad are the older show.

The only big complaint I have about dubs is the small pool of actors they choose from.
Aug 18, 2016 2:29 PM

Mar 2016
Ghost stories couldn't come up with something better
If its not a harem im not interested.....😑😑😑
Aug 18, 2016 5:18 PM

Mar 2014
Nico- said:
The Prison School dub is the new gold standard for its stunning bravery.
"Wow pump the brakes Arthur Gonorreaelli"
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 18, 2016 5:25 PM

Feb 2014
DBZ, japanese Gokuu sounds like he inhaled helium.
Aug 18, 2016 5:49 PM

Jan 2014
Just watch in subs.
Best experience you can get plus original voice actors.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 3 )

707supremacist - May 5

137 by Azulmagia88 »»
1 minute ago

» Character(s) you would wrestle with if they were real

IpreferEcchi - Jun 9

6 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago

» What Anime has the most genres & themes?

Zarutaku - Jun 11

7 by Zarutaku »»
13 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

107 by billybub »»
20 minutes ago

» Who is your first and second favorite Jujutsu Kaisen character and why?

Inner_Dragon - Jun 12

18 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.