Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 25, 2018 6:24 PM

Aug 2016
I really enjoyed the part with Luculia and her brother^^ I also liked how Violet's first proper letter turned out even tho she basically just wrote what Luculia told her. It's a nice start (just like someone already said 'baby steps') keeping in mind how very literal she is. I can't wait to see more!
Jan 25, 2018 6:46 PM

Apr 2016
what a beautiful ep . I think this is better than the last ep . and I love the side story too .
"Mountains, beings, and nature's laws are bound by an arrangement, and within it, we live." -Mushishi Zoku Shou Suzu No Shizuku
Jan 25, 2018 7:03 PM

Dec 2016
oh my goodness finally we have an opening/ending and its gorgeous!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2018 7:07 PM
Jul 2018
I enjoy this anime. It’s more subtly driven but it’s still wonderful to watch. Also a treat to gaze upon. I know an amount of people were criticizing the first two eps, but I hope this one makes them change their minds a bit.
Jan 25, 2018 8:05 PM
May 2011
The letter made me cry tears. No show has ever come close to that, except maybe one.
Jan 25, 2018 8:39 PM

Jan 2016
Beautiful episode! It's slowly building momentum, as any great story would. KyoAni has superb scenic visuals. Really looking forward to the next episode.
Jan 25, 2018 9:17 PM
Jul 2014
Eanraig said:
Really annoyed that every episode has been very predictable so far. And Violet passing just after one decently written letter is kinda bull...
I don't even think about what's going to happen next. I just get so caught in to this series that I don't get the hate for it.
Jan 25, 2018 10:25 PM

Jul 2014
That letter almost made me cry...

These first episodes are being entertaining but we need more development on Violet
Jan 25, 2018 11:39 PM
Oct 2017
These stories should be split into 3 to 4 episodes arcs if not more. The story about Violet's classmate and her classmate's brother is a good story to tell, but it builds up too quickly and the resolution comes off as cheesy and not convincing to me. It's too quick and sudden. I don't know anything about Violet's classmate or her brother, except that they have names (forgot them already), that her brother served in the war and was injured, and that he was a drunk. There's a emotional core there that doesn't lead to a emotional payoff in less than 20 minutes. Same for Violet's school training. They had to fit these 2 stories in 20 minutes where we're rushed from scene to scene and it just doesn't work for me. Also, making the emotional music play all the time loses its effect. It becomes background noise and doesn't add to the drama of the scenes of episodes 2 and 3 since it's being played all the time.
Jan 26, 2018 12:14 AM
Aug 2015
nicethings said:
I enjoy this anime. It’s more subtly driven but it’s still wonderful to watch. Also a treat to gaze upon. I know an amount of people were criticizing the first two eps, but I hope this one makes them change their minds a bit.

I did criticize the second episode because it was a complete waste of time to have a focus on Erica while we still have to learn more about Violet. I hate the fact they add two extra characters like Erica and Iris (I really don't like her behaviour), plus the receptionnist girls (poor Benedict, the scene wasn't even funny). So I was and I'm still afraid that extra characters will get to much screentime and that important scenes of the novel won't be shown, sadly, because Violet interactions with the different characters of the novel, plus her background as a soldier are the most interesting parts of the novel.

BUT I did enjoy episode 3 even if it was a filler. It followed the storytelling of most of the novel chapters: Violet meets someone, we discover his/her story (their family background especially), she helps them writing a letter and we get an emotional ending most of the time. We get to learn more about them but we also see Violet acting human despite her manners.

Luculia is a well-written character according to me and the anime did a good job in this episode showing Violet progressively being a Doll, helping someone but also getting helped by someone since she's not become yet a famous Doll. Because the novel doesn't mention her training as a Doll (maybe in the Gaiden but it's not out yet).
Luculia's story with her brother brings out the outcome of the war which I find realistic and interesting and was also moving, especially when Luculia tells Violet about her and when Violet gives the letter to the brother.

I liked this episode but I'm afraid that we'll get more episodes like episode 2 and that the anime won't be able to cover the whole novel which is really worth it.

Note: I don't like the opening and the ending. The opening is kinda okay but not really at my taste and not fitting I don't know why, maybe too simple. The ending has pretty pictures but I don't like Minori Chihara's voice so I'll just skip it. I don't know why "Violet Snow" wasn't put for the opening or the ending...
Jan 26, 2018 12:17 AM

Sep 2016
Loop_Stratos said:
OP song is nice, visuals not so much.

The fact that Violet passed with a single two sentence letter felt like a slap in the face. Especially as it seemed like the school demanded excellence. Still, better than the last two episodes.

"Onii chan...

Glad you're alive...

Imoto..."

boom, graduate. I wish my dissertation is this easy.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 26, 2018 12:45 AM
Dec 2016
The third episode has really improved the anime. I realized that the focus of this anime is not simply Violet, but also how she interacts and affects other characters. This anime is really laid back and low paced (I think), but that what I like about this, and the art.

But a great 3rd episode.
Jan 26, 2018 2:01 AM

Jul 2015
finally! a good episode with an improved pacing... the sound tracks were amazing as always... and the Opening is somewhat catchy.. i really find the opening visuals similar to tokyo ghoul opening...
also the scene of the brother reading the letter thay violet wrote (typed) literally made me cry! i for once give this ep 10/10!!
Jan 26, 2018 3:08 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
This girl always is a surprise!!! kekeke
Jan 26, 2018 3:10 AM
Dec 2012
When Luculia told Violet the story about her family I was expecting Violet to respond "I don't care". Finally some character development.

Jan 26, 2018 3:34 AM

Feb 2014
The writing is really good and this episode elevated the story as a whole, I like it. My only complaint is the way it was delivered kinda dry. Especially after episode 2 which was directed and storyboarded by Haruka Fujita. Her episode really set the bar a bit too high, not saying Noriyuki Kitanohara's episode was awful. There are few good transition shots and scenes at the clock tower, but I think the direction and storyboard could be better in telling the narratives through visual mediums.

I expect Fujita will come back with more goodness so I won't drop this show yet...
Jan 26, 2018 3:52 AM

Apr 2015
time to drop this show. Even when i dont like a show or think its utter shit, i can usually see how it could appeal to someone. Cant say the same about this show. Nothing happens, characters are boring, no story whatsoever. Only positive thing is the art and animation.
Jan 26, 2018 4:13 AM
Jun 2017
i love this episode, and Congrats to Violet for making her first real LETTER!!! nice one...
Jan 26, 2018 4:22 AM
Jan 2016
Joe_Baker said:
Anyone that can type 130WPM or even higher? That is incredibly fast if you ask me. That 200CPM as an entry level seems a bit low though.

Mechanical typewriters have a max CPM, if you type too fast the heads strike each other and/or wedge each other in place. I don't know what the max is off the top of my head, but it's pretty low, I think 200CPM might even be too high (then again Violet has fully functional prosthetics, so that point's kinda moot, I guess).
Jan 26, 2018 4:58 AM
Oct 2017
The OP is so empty like Violet's emotion. I think the OP and ED will change every 3 or 4 episodes as she develops herself to understand people's feeling.
Jan 26, 2018 5:00 AM

Oct 2015
Joe_Baker said:
Anyone that can type 130WPM or even higher? That is incredibly fast if you ask me. That 200CPM as an entry level seems a bit low though.

My record was 137 WPM with few errors, but I could achieve that speed only once. Whenever I try(I don't often do this measuring), It's always between 100-120, rarely around 125. Maybe once I should try with mechanical keyboards, maybe it's faster.
200 CPM does seem low a bit, but using typewriters, you can't hit backspace if you make an error, so I guess it's really decent for a start.
As a Doll, you would probably spend more time thinking what you want to write anyways.

--

When I saw the trailer a few years ago, I was expecting it to have top-notch animation. The opening's animation feels super lazy, in the episodes the lights seem somehow too bright, does not seem pleasant. I'm not saying it's horrible, but I was expecting the visuals to be so much better. Then again, in the trailers it looked like it was about Violet actually fighting, and such, and it turned out to be completely different. In this case the trailer wasn't the true color of the anime.

The soundtrack is still very nice, though.

That letter Violet wrote to the other girl's brother seemed really fitting with her character. She's not able to express complex feels, in a complex way, but somehow managed to put it plain and simple. The nice thing is, that it's true; Sometimes it's just better saying it simple.

The teacher accepted that 2-3 long letter, even though it wasn't written in front of her. I wish it worked like that in real life too.
Jan 26, 2018 5:03 AM
Dec 2017
Its too early too tell but i do hope they get right into the main story plot because what I watched was not in LN
Jan 26, 2018 5:12 AM
Sep 2016
I like how the show expects me to feel anything for some random guy...lol
Masterpiece level writing hehe...pffff
1.1.Six
Jan 26, 2018 7:51 AM

Dec 2016
Violet is getting there little by little :) Glad she could make a proper letter in the end ^^
I have a feeling that this was not the best episode so far, but I hope it gets better in a few more episodes :)

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Jan 26, 2018 8:02 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
She did a great letter!!! kekeke
Jan 26, 2018 8:02 AM

Apr 2016
CatSoul said:
How was Violet able to earn her certificate after writing a three-sentence letter? The girl's obviously still going to have trouble with anything longer/more complicated or vague.

I felt bad for the Wendy's girl Luculia though. She came home all excited to make her thicc brother a nice dinner and he'd fallen asleep with some bread, part of a tomato, and a bottle of booze.

Listening to the language in the way Luculia spoke about Violet at the end ("Violet was blah blah blah...")...shit, is she already dead?

The teacher clearly said:

"A first-rate Doll should understand the words the client is speaking and take from them the feelings they truly wish to express." You have just taken that first step.

So she still has a lot to improve on. But as for the timing when she gave the badge, I do agree that if she had written more letters it would've been more understandable.

Also, we were shown that Violet got perfect scores in Vocabulary, Grammar, and that she is a very fast typer as well, and that was in front of the teacher. So she would've known that she is a very good student and only needed some evidence to show that she could convey feelings in her letters.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 26, 2018 8:15 AM

Jun 2014
Another great episode. As someone that has never read the Light Novel, I though this was good. Kyoani always changes around whatever they adapt, so it's weird to see all this bitching.
:3
Jan 26, 2018 8:18 AM

Oct 2013
Luculia best grill. That is all.
Jan 26, 2018 8:28 AM
Oct 2016
This was much better episode than first one, they should had started it from here.
Jan 26, 2018 8:45 AM
Apr 2013
I enjoyed it, i like that every episode focuses on a side character but then Violet gets to take something from it every time. I think it is a pretty solid set up evne though I'm mainly watching ti for the visuals
Jan 26, 2018 10:07 AM

Aug 2013
I'm disappointed with OP song. It's just bland. At least ED is nice.

But about this episode, simply beautiful. 5/5
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 26, 2018 10:51 AM

Aug 2015
Amazing OST! Violet is finally able to understand the feelings.
Jan 26, 2018 11:22 AM

Dec 2014
This episode was going really well until Violet passed her class just for writing two sentences.
Jan 26, 2018 1:17 PM

Aug 2014
Like the show, Feels fresh and new and not typical fast ploted. Sometimes slow is nice and good.
Jan 26, 2018 4:58 PM

Jun 2012
What a lovely episode.
Violet finally took her first step in understanding human connection.
Jan 26, 2018 7:37 PM

Nov 2007
My thought of the anime remains the same. Absolutely beautiful! I am now thinking Violet is probably one of the most huggable characters ever!

Still the best new anime of the season by a long shot for me. Episode 1 did an introduction, episode 2 gave the setting of the world the characters are in and the idea of dolls, which is the premise of the story and episode 3 gave us the platform to move forward.

The whole setup was incredible all the way to the final moment when Violet got her certification on Luculia's recommendation! Luculia being the top of the class helped because she was unable to express her own feelings which Violet wrote down for her! It was so simple yet she couldn't tell it to her brother.

This episode itself would pass as an excellent short movie. The art, the animation, the background music, the attention to details, the storytelling, the buildup and the conclusion, it felt like a high end anime movie!

5/5
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 26, 2018 9:45 PM

Jan 2017
Masood_sama_XN said:
This was much better episode than first one, they should had started it from here.

The novel started like that and I agree that it's much better. Hope they'll continue the good work.
Jan 26, 2018 9:50 PM

Jan 2017
Major_Gilbert said:
So far, maybe aside from the first episode, the anime has gone its own way. I expected this to some extent, but with the number of episodes left this is not the time to leave the crucial plot behind. I know that this is to fill what the novel didn't concentrate on (Violet's path towards becoming an Auto-memories doll) but now they just don't have enough episodes to cover all of her adventures. Well they may be able to get rid of one which didn't look that important to me, but still, if in the next episode they don't start with her adventure it's going to get pretty worrying. Her adventures are the main part of the story and probably the most important.

I really wanted to see Violet's first adventure...

Also Luculia was a good character compared to Erica and Iris imo.

Nice OP btw.

As a fellow novel reader, I agree. When I watched the first episode, it kind of worries me on what path this anime will take. What drawn me into Violet Evergarden is not Violet herself but her adventures and interactions. I liked Violet after that.

With this episode they seem to be getting back on track but it looks like they're going to have original stories. Not that I don't mind but I love the novel so I'm hoping that they'll do it justice.
Jan 26, 2018 10:02 PM

Jun 2016
Ugh. This show ain't worth my time anymore. It just bores the fuck outta me. Dropped. 4/10

/EDIT/ Alright, instead of dropping this anime in this episode, imma give it a chance then if it's still awful as fuck in the next episode, then fuck this show.
TheDoggoneGirlJan 27, 2018 12:47 AM

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 26, 2018 11:48 PM

Jan 2015
I must have no soul, I didn't cry at Violet delivering that letter to her classmate's brother. Don't get me wrong, it was a moving enough scene, but honestly not a tear jerking moment for me. That being said I didn't find this a particularly bad episode. It had very sweet moments and told a decent overall story. However, I did find the ending where Violet has her little graduation "ceremony" a little cheesy and hokey. It came across as too childish when this anime seems to be going for serious... and I mean I get that Violet is learning humanity and all that jazz, but it just seemed like some kind of kindergarten graduation scenario and it took me completely out of the serious and touching mood they had developed a few moments before. I'd say from watching all the episodes that have been released this is sitting at about a 5-6/10 for me right now.
Jan 27, 2018 12:01 AM

Dec 2016
Perfect marks on the 1st day of school, very impressive.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when she says mission, it's funny how military punctual she is but also sad because it's all she knows.

Seems she is making a new friend this episode, Luculia has her own problems though, I had a feeling her parents were deceased.

Hopefully that letter gets through to her brother and he start getting cleaned up and his life back on track.

Way to go violet, you graduated, that was a great moment.
Jan 27, 2018 4:39 AM

Oct 2017
I'm a little disappointed at this because I thought the Doll school plot would be... at least longer than an episode? I thought we'd finally get a throughout look at what being a Doll is like, and I'm pretty sure someone had said that that school was like superhard and severe but I didn't get that AT ALL. It was like "here's half a class, kinda, let's skip through and just graduate everyone". Also considering that Violet is like a class A soldier, I was expecting that she'd struggle in school because it'd be so completely different from her whole life experience so far. So like yeah this episode was ok, really liked Luculia though now I don't know if she'll appear again. Idk. It's like they're rushing through without much development.
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Jan 27, 2018 4:42 AM

Jan 2013
Yea yea yea this not holding my interest in the slightest. dropped
Jan 27, 2018 4:51 AM

Feb 2014
At last, we get to hear the OP song, along with its animation. True did a really nice job here, although there song for Sound! Euphonium S2 still remains my favourite from them.

As for the ED song, it was used much more appropriately compared to the last episode and I do like it. I've always liked the vocals from Minori Chihara and this song was very calm and peaceful if you ask me. =)

This episode itself is the best so far. Although Violet's typing speed and accuracy with the letter are flawless, her lack of emotions did prevent her from graduating at first. Thanks to Luculia, who is such a cute a likeable character, opened up her past about losing her parents and how her brother continues down a dark path, ridden with guilt after what happened in the war, Violet captured the essence of her emotions and portrayed it perfectly into the letter.

And thus, thanks to Luculia again, Violet was able to graduate. We'll probably see her on an adventure from the next episode I guess. =)
Jan 27, 2018 5:10 AM

Apr 2016
anapeach said:
I'm a little disappointed at this because I thought the Doll school plot would be... at least longer than an episode? I thought we'd finally get a throughout look at what being a Doll is like, and I'm pretty sure someone had said that that school was like superhard and severe but I didn't get that AT ALL. It was like "here's half a class, kinda, let's skip through and just graduate everyone". Also considering that Violet is like a class A soldier, I was expecting that she'd struggle in school because it'd be so completely different from her whole life experience so far. So like yeah this episode was ok, really liked Luculia though now I don't know if she'll appear again. Idk. It's like they're rushing through without much development.

That's why I think this series should have been more than 14 episodes long. To get more of the important dialogue from the novel in, to lengthen Violet's development in becoming a doll, to show more detail in the other characters such as Hodgins, Cattleya and Benedict...

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 27, 2018 5:38 AM
May 2015
This had the strongest start of the season for me but now it's falling off a bit.
The characters are clique and Violet is pretty boring honestly.
Jan 27, 2018 6:09 AM

Nov 2014
I really hoped that Luculia will work together with Violet at her office..
but seems like.. it won't really happen..

Best Episode so far..

Jan 27, 2018 6:49 AM

Jul 2016
I have been meaning to write this for a long time, but couldn't find the time. So, here are my thoughts on the last 2 episodes.
Great Premise.
Great characters.
Brilliant visuals.
Claudia Best Girl - Please NERF.

Now that I have said my peace, let's get on with the third episode.

This was pretty good. The premise of a school for Dolls was pretty good. Anyone can be a Doll, but if you wanna be the best Doll that no one ever was, then you should enroll. Sadly, EVERYONE ELSE took the same advice. But the school is merely a subplot of sorts compared to Luculia's story. Her brother's story and the impact it had on his and his sister's life was tragic, and along with Luculia being unsure about confronting her brother about this, sheds light about how important a Doll's work is. Their job is to convert their abstract, complex feelings into solid, tangible words, when it is virtually impossible to get it 100% right, and this episode makes it pretty clear. Violet managed to convert Luculia's feelings into a Thank you letter to her brother, and this scene made me cry like a bitch. Although how Violet gets the pin was a little bullshit-y(?), it was a nice, well-deserved ending to the episode, like the pin.

Speaking of which, is it me, or does the pin look Tornadus' tail? I'm not kidding, look it up and tell me there's no connection.

OH MY GOD! Now I know how the war started! Thundurus and Tornadus whisked off to another dimension and built their own country and fought to see whose was more superior. Thankfully, Landorus popped in, dragged the two back to their world, and the war ended. Who won? Judging from the pin, it was Tornadus.
Silly, I know. But a funny rumination nonetheless.
ONWARDS! Away from homework and on to more anime!!!
Jan 27, 2018 10:42 AM

Sep 2016
This show just keeps getting better and better.. Yet to push it down from 10. It's just so relatable and heartwarming overall.
Jan 27, 2018 11:18 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
It was an ok episode. The same things as from the previous episode were re stated but at least Violet finally makes some progress and writes a proper letter.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2018

371 by LunaLov »»
Yesterday, 2:33 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

636 by BlaizeV »»
Sep 18, 11:15 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2018

506 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 7:09 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2018

238 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 6:38 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2018

253 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 6:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.