Forum Settings
Forums

Is listening to subbed anime helping you learn Japanese?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 21, 2016 8:50 AM

Jul 2013
DreamingBeats said:
Demi_V said:
I thought it would, but I question whether or not the Japanese actually use English phrases randomly in their speeches. I think not.

depends on what you define "English phrase"
the word "now" (なお) is currently "in" as a fashionable way of saying 今 (ima - now)
you'll see Japanese people using it fairly often.

I'm mostly referring to when they say "Thank you" or especially in sports anime where they say "Nice job" and other terms. I just don't see them saying that. I could be wrong though.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 21, 2016 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
Demi_V said:
I'm mostly referring to when they say "Thank you" or especially in sports anime where they say "Nice job" and other terms. I just don't see them saying that. I could be wrong though.

they say "good job" (グッドジョブ). not sure how often though
(and is probably more used in Japanese videos in a site like niconico. less often in real life / outside)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jan 21, 2016 9:06 AM

Jul 2015
Easy enough to pick up some phrases and words but all I know are the words and the rest of the sentence is just static to me so I have no idea how the sentence is constructed.
Jan 21, 2016 10:41 AM

Jul 2015
yuiyuigahama said:
chotto sukoshi lol i mean i could probably only speak like a schoolgirl though: "uzai" "maji????" "uso! hontou ni!? chou omoshiroi!" "iya...chou kimochi warui" "sugoku kawaii/kakkoii!!!"...donna kanji desu

Both Chotto and Sukoshi have the same meaning "a little".
You should have used only chotto or sukoshi if you wanted to use only the words.

"Donnna kanji desu" → "Konnna kanji desu" is correct.
I'm just Japanese who loves Anime, Manga and Light Novels.
And I translate Japanese into English to be fluent.

Jan 21, 2016 12:36 PM

Oct 2015
I have never learned anything Japanese words from watching subbed anime.
Jan 21, 2016 3:24 PM

Nov 2008
It will not help you all that much besides the basics.

Reading raw manga and grabbing a dictionary will help you a lot though.

Jan 21, 2016 3:31 PM

Oct 2015
If you have a basic understanding of word order and, most importantly, good subtitles, it can really help with vocabulary.
Jan 21, 2016 3:37 PM

Nov 2011
Appilesh said:
If you have a basic understanding of word order and, most importantly, good subtitles, it can really help with vocabulary.

the problem is, if you're new to Japanese, you can't tell a "bad sub" from a "good sub"
and some "bad subs" may in fact be good for the way it was intended to be used.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

Jan 21, 2016 4:07 PM

Jan 2014
Just some vocabulary like any other languages honestly.
Jan 21, 2016 4:09 PM

May 2009
You could, but it would be far more effective and quicker to simply use material that is made specifically to learn the language.

People who have hundreds of completed series likely picked up lots of phrases and words over time even without trying, but think about how long it takes to complete hours and hours of anime and what you get out of it compared to just one hour of actual study. Plus you'll never learn the written language with anime.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Jan 22, 2016 1:42 AM

Jul 2015
DreamingBeats said:
Demi_V said:
I thought it would, but I question whether or not the Japanese actually use English phrases randomly in their speeches. I think not.

the word "now" (なお) is currently "in" as a fashionable way of saying 今 (ima - now)

I think you meant "なう (now)".
Yes, it's fashionable certainly.
But it's usually used in Twitter, not real life.
I've never seen that friends of mine say "~ なう" in real life.

Jan 22, 2016 2:02 AM

Nov 2011
MyBUSHIDO said:
DreamingBeats said:

i've seen people use it as なお, idk
edit: well, i could swear i saw them using なお, but i can't find now (pun not intended)
not that it matters - arguing over which is correct is like arguing which romanization is "better"
DreamingBeatsJan 22, 2016 2:12 AM

Jan 22, 2016 2:07 AM

Apr 2015
I guess if you're learning Japanese already, sure. I learnt french easier whilst watching french movies subbed.

But by itself no. You might learn catchphrases at best.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2016 2:26 AM

Nov 2015
I've learned a few words and phrases, but that's it, really.
Jan 22, 2016 3:35 AM

Jan 2016
I wouldn't necessarily say I am learning Japanese, however, I do notice that I recognize certain words here and there when watching!
Jan 22, 2016 3:40 AM

Jul 2015
DreamingBeats said:
MyBUSHIDO said:

i've seen people use it as なお, idk
edit: well, i could swear i saw them using なお, but i can't find now (pun not intended)
not that it matters - arguing over which is correct is like arguing which romanization is "better"

I see that you have seen the people, I don't intend to deny the fact.
I don't know whether they used なお as now for pun or they simply mistook.

なう just derived from an English word "now", you know.
Simple English word "now", romanized word "nau", both pronunciation are the same.
Thus both are accepted, I think.

Jan 22, 2016 3:43 PM

Jun 2015
Shocked said:
You can learn words, phrases and maybe sentence structure. Actual conversation skills? Really hard.

^Very true. I only know honorifics and certain worshiped words . If someone wants to learn Japanese from anime, they wouldn't get that far in a conversation if they were in Japan. Learn from a teacher or someone you know, who knows Japanese, people!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2016 4:16 PM

Jun 2013
Somehow yes

(don' mind this just need at least 30 characters)
Apr 20, 2017 2:47 AM
Mar 2016
I've been watching anime subbed for two years now, and I have to say you do learn lots of phrases and pick up vocabulary, but if you want to fully understand it word by word you need to know the word order and grammar rules, if you learn those and then watch lots of anime I think you can learnt quite a lot of the language^^ but don't only rely on anime to learn Japanese
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Why do people "self-insert" with weak characters

Anjuro - Yesterday

23 by zaako »»
7 minutes ago

» Exploring Taste Shaming

-Indra - May 30

41 by alshu »»
19 minutes ago

» How accurate is your country and countrymen portrayed in Anime?

Dragevard - May 28

22 by FanofAction »»
19 minutes ago

» Good characters trapped in bad series.

Anjuro - May 29

46 by FanofAction »»
25 minutes ago

» Which anime do you think deserves a reboot or continuation, and why?

Gashadokur0 - May 29

39 by Zarutaku »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.