Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 3, 2018 12:29 PM

Aug 2013
I'm-I'm kinda lost, I like it though. Quite a bit actually, but um....yeah.
Jan 17, 2018 3:50 PM

Oct 2015
It's still extremely hard to connect the dots.

The thing closest to a motive we got that Knights may have is that prophecy thing but I have no clue what that might be. Also, did Lain do this to her sister because she could find out about her involvement with the wired? And what exactly did happen to Mika? She was in the wired world maybe? The end tells me this was the case but I'm not sure of anything anymore.
Jan 17, 2018 9:33 PM

Sep 2014
Orhunaa said:
It's still extremely hard to connect the dots.

The thing closest to a motive we got that Knights may have is that prophecy thing but I have no clue what that might be. Also, did Lain do this to her sister because she could find out about her involvement with the wired? And what exactly did happen to Mika? She was in the wired world maybe? The end tells me this was the case but I'm not sure of anything anymore.

You will be able to connect the dots later. Just keep watching. =)
Oct 11, 2018 7:20 PM

Oct 2016
The way how this episode is developed is just so complete.
With all that of God in the real world is only an idea, while in the Wired one can come into existence.
It seems like Lain want to know about the reality and the Wired one.
And is making her doubt about is the reality is the real reality or something made by the Wired same.
It is really messy to express what this episode is trying to say, and the truth that makes it very interesting.
Excellent episode.
Dec 2, 2018 3:16 PM
Oct 2018
lain`s family is fucking weird, i think that the father is behind everything... he knows a lot of things, is so creepy and never seems to be impressed by the unusual behavior of his relatives
kahoonkatzDec 3, 2018 11:59 AM
Feb 19, 2019 6:55 AM
Sep 2016
This prophecy thing seems weird, the most logical explaination to me is that, knights are somehow interacting with other humans and subconsciously making them do those things.
I don't know, it seems really unclear.
At this point I know I will have to rewatch this show like a hundred times to get what's happening here.
Lain got such a huge quantity of (probably) expensive equipment in her room. That's so weird, I honestly don't know what is happening in real world anymore.

Also probably deus and knights are the same thing it seems.
Apr 14, 2019 5:22 AM

Oct 2012
Seems like her sister is gone
Her dad and mom seem like not real

What is this... I don't understand
Shame they seem like honest people
I've lost it all xD
"Signature removed"
Apr 24, 2019 2:51 AM

Sep 2013
The sister has been replaced? I guess?

Is that what happened to the rest of hte family?

5/5

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jun 19, 2019 6:27 AM
Mar 2019
I have no clue whats going on but for some reason i love it (:
Aug 1, 2019 3:10 AM
Apr 2016
damn confusing as fuck, and the part when mika's seeing herself each other might be creepiest moment in this episode
Ray-nAug 1, 2019 3:22 AM
Aug 17, 2019 3:30 AM

Mar 2018
Baldark said:
Here's what I got out of the episode. It appears that Lain has been keeping herself busy on the wire. Doing what? I have no idea. She seems to be hacking, but has no recollection of it. She does happen to remember being visited by many different people in her bedroom. This might attribute to the last line of "Who is it today?" Maybe she is expecting another visitor in her room.

As with the sister, all the bad things started to happen to her after she left some dude's house, possibly her boyfriend. She doesn't seem to notice his existence and just leaves the room. I thought that was odd, she doesn't seem to be the sort to do that kind of thing as some said she appears to be the most normal one out of the family.

She doesn't seem to be one who is "connected" to the wired like Lain is. What we witnessed of the sister might be her wired self awakening so to speak. That is what I believe anyway.

When she was in the bathroom, she said that she should be home at that time eating dinner with the family and she appeared to be bewildered by not being present for it. When she finally gets home, she notices her physical self was present for dinner and that is when Lain comes in and sees her sister's wired self fade away.

What I am trying to figure out is what the whole prophesy thing is and what does the sister have to do with it. As stated in the beginning of the episode, "when you can hear it, it is speaking to you and if you can see it it's your"...physical self looking from the outside? I have no idea. Great series so far!

*LATE*

Cleared up some of my confusion. Thanks so much.
Sep 5, 2019 11:38 PM

Sep 2018
lol, seriously, what the hell am I watching? It's pretty captivating in an eerie sort of way though. Still have no idea what's really going on. Many questions needing answers.
Nov 17, 2019 10:22 AM

Nov 2008
OH GOD I can't believe this anime managed to stay so CRYPTIC until the middle! It makes me eager to reach its end already so I can watch videos online that explain the plot XDDD I heard this anime was supposed to be REALLY complex!
Nov 24, 2019 10:43 AM
Apr 2018
Can someone explain what the real mika turned into at the doorway? I've seen them all and I still don't get it.
Nov 24, 2019 8:27 PM

Aug 2019
starting every episode with "and you don't seem to understand" is flat out provocation at this point
Jan 25, 2020 12:01 AM
Apr 2016
More information about the Wired, that's nice I suppose. The ending was strange--the entire episode was, actually.
Mar 29, 2020 10:06 AM
Jul 2018
This is my second time watching Lain, since it's been years since I first watched it and I thought maybe I would understand it better if I were to rewatch it.

Guess what? I still don't get it.
Apr 27, 2020 2:37 AM

Feb 2019
Mika went through some mindfuck.
Jun 20, 2020 8:41 AM

May 2016
Considering Lain's unconscious affinity for the Wired, it was only a matter of time until her sister gets involved in whatever she's doing be it in one way or another. They might be screwing with just her in this episode but it feels like my mind's getting messed with more and more as I go further into the series lmao

I wonder if every single person has their own simulated consciousness in the Wired that's waiting to overlap themselves with reality.

Jul 27, 2020 10:28 AM

Feb 2020
Looks like the shy and timid Lain is back, and there's a lot of stuff she doesn't seem to be consciously doing. Guess this really is confirming both the split personality theory and the one about Lain being (sometimes) possessed by her Wired self. But what she said at the end really confuses me. "Who is it today", that's a question I probably should ask as well.

The whole thing with her sister is also very intriguing. I always thought that she was the only "normal" person in Lain's family, but now some weird stuff is happening with her too, though she is clearly as confused as us about it. Was the other one her Wired version ? But how did she manage to become her own entity ? And why was the supposed real one unnoticeable at the end, replaced by a kind of weird ghost ?

And the sequences with Lain talking to her parents also seem to hold a lot of symbolic. The mother was first represented by a doll and the father by a kind of totem or something, and Lain seems to be questioning her actual connection with them. At the same time, they also both raised important points about prophecies and humans' condition.
This whole stuff about prophecy aside, I wonder if those sequences aren't partially supposed to hint at Lain's background and history. Looking at it this way, it seems like Lain might be victim of neglect, to the point she wonders if her parents really see themselves as such.
In the first sequence with the doll, she seemed to be very lively and childlike, but to each sequence, she seemed to fall more and more into her aloof persona.
Maybe I'm going too far, but it really could explain some of Lain's psychology.
Her parents haven't always been there for her when she needed them (shown through the mom taking a lot of time before answering to Lain's request to hear a story, and in the other sequence disappearing without answering her question), haven't been treating her like an actual child (shown through both of them explaining complicated philosophical stuff to her)...
They haven't been real parents to her, and her sister doesn't seem to care one bit about her (proved when she noticed Lain standing in the middle of the road and just walked away wondering what's wrong with her).
Due to that, Lain has become a total introvert, even though she actually desires to have friends.
Maybe her Wired self is the manifestation of everything she'd like to express. She's a lost, lonely child and her unconscious has been creating this virtual persona in a way for her to escape this life she doesn't truly belong to.
And now this persona is taking possession of her, symbolizing her developing a personality disorder...
If I'm right, then it is very sad. Poor little girl.
Sep 5, 2020 11:22 PM

Jul 2016
As if the plot wasn't confusing enough already, we are getting into the most philosophical aspect of the show now. Human race has stopped evolving and in addition to that, it seems the whole existence of humankind is just a mere manifestation of the huge amount of data travelling through the NET. A rather interesting assumption, I must say.

Well, given this additional info and after seeing the hard time Mika was going through during the episode, my only guess is that this Deus being is testing person by person in search of the one who can make this "prophecy" thing come true. Though it seems Lain's sister failed at fulfilling said prophecy in the end.
We also saw Mika and what I assume is her Wired persona somehow coexisting in the same reality but given the explanation/hypothesis of the Wired being an upper layer to the "real" world, the idea of them slowly merging together is becoming more and more feasible.

And to conclude, the word "Knights" has become more prevalent in the story now. Regarding this, it was said a couple of episodes ago that "they" weren't exactly people but more of a concept or idea so I particularly look forward to knowing more of "them".
SouthRzVaSep 5, 2020 11:30 PM
Sep 27, 2020 11:04 AM
Aug 2020
although I'm confused AF on what's happening I can't stop watching it
Sep 28, 2020 11:01 AM

Mar 2020
Lain is just crazy, that is the only explanation for what is happening in this anime.
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Oct 3, 2020 11:03 PM
Jul 2018
This episode explores the supernatural-mystery elements never actually discussed before this intensively.
The sister's instability has caused me to question my previous notion of the supernatural and the existence of Wired in the real world. "After-effects" of the interaction of the wired and the natural world are the most "shown but not explained" parts of this episode. (As We follow lain, we will dwell into this further beyond.)
I think The knights gave Lian the moderator power, but they never managed to teach her about its actual capacity.
This is probably why Lain never saw her sister as a person to ask anything about the wired, and wanted to change her.
This is what I think. I am probably wrong.
Nov 8, 2020 1:57 PM
Jun 2020
I think I'm actually starting to get some of it lol
Nov 10, 2020 7:56 AM

Oct 2013
Yeah, this is giving me major Evangelion vibes, too. Although still "hurr durr DEEP" as far as I can tell.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 4, 2021 7:10 AM

Aug 2018
This is a mind messing episode, my theory is that the Wipes the guy was giving around were covered with some drugs that can get inside your body just by touching them and cause hallucinations. But I'm only 50/50 sure about that because it could just be this anime going deeper without any normal explanations
Mar 6, 2021 11:31 AM

Aug 2019
So it's now The Matrix with multiple layers of reality, and Lain either being in charge of everything or close to it

"...fatih, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love."

"I began to trust the world [...] to give unforeseen goods and pleasures that I had not thought to want."

Mar 19, 2021 10:48 PM

Jun 2020
Wow. I didn't understand a single thing what happened. But it was good.
Jul 8, 2021 7:30 AM
Apr 2018
"In other words physical reality is nothing but an hologram of the information that flows through the real world."
Feels like Matrix for sure. Seems like the more detached one is from reality, the stronger their Wired egos will be. Mom and Pop are pretty dysfunctional, hence their levitating manifestation to Lain. Sister's reality is slowing eroding, so her alter ego is slowly forming, albeit faint, which Lain can sense.
Jul 14, 2021 4:00 PM
Oct 2020
Man, i'm tired of trying to understand this show.
At this point, I'll just finish it and look up an explanation.
Please Read Chainsaw Man
Jul 22, 2021 7:02 AM
Jul 2018
truly mystic and one of the most abstract episodes
Jul 31, 2021 10:40 PM

Aug 2018
I am completely lost.... I dont know whas happening at all anymore... but I think that Lain's sister got replaced by a fake...

Oct 10, 2021 1:38 AM

Aug 2020
laaresurreccion said:
starting every episode with "and you don't seem to understand" is flat out provocation at this point

Yeah, pretty much.

The confusion only gets worse.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Oct 24, 2021 10:59 AM
Oct 2008
Amatniki said:
I am completely lost.... I dont know whas happening at all anymore... but I think that Lain's sister got replaced by a fake...

I was thinking more that she was
1. closed in mind (from ep 5 she is just husk)
or
2. Her mind was switched with her alter personality in the Wired, probably by Knights or Eiri Masami (which would explain why Lain was able to saw "ghost" outside of body)

For me 2 is more reasonable because it explain "ghost" and "husk" for me.
Dec 6, 2021 10:05 PM

Jun 2021
It just keeps more confusing by every episode doesn't it XD
I'm completely lost about the prophecy thing, and where the scene when her sister saw a double of herself and Lain seems different? from that scene.
It's like the reality and the Internet are merging together.
Her Dad probably knows something what's going on, he probably knows something about the Internet (Wired), computers and other devices that Lain's involved in.

Also, That ending stare was creepy.
Dec 14, 2021 1:39 PM

Sep 2020
"and you don't seem to understand ..."
"I'll Take a Potato Chip and EAT IT"
Jan 11, 2022 9:11 AM
Nov 2020
Lain changes so much from the first few episodes to here. You can tell the animators worked their asses off to completely change her body language as the series went on.
Jan 15, 2022 9:12 AM
Aug 2021
The sister's real self just disappeared. It feels like either "the Knights" or Lain(other persona) or maybe even both?? are behind this. And there apparently God exists in the Wired world. This keeps getting even more interesting.

A user's speculation that I wholly agree with:

"To my knowledge. There is some sort of device or something that’s turning everyone’s internet self into their new real self and possibly killing the old one. Lain is like the cause of this, the title does state that it’s some sort of experiment. This is all just speculation tho"

And those scenes with a younger Lain talking to her parents (Wired version or something) was weird af.
Feb 14, 2022 10:35 PM
Feb 2022
I thought I knew where this series was going and what is going on. This episode confused the hell out of me and now I’m lost. Onto the next!
Mar 12, 2022 6:56 PM

Apr 2020
At this point, I feel like I need to put this on hold and rewatch it from the beginning 'cause I went into this with no idea what it would be like, and I feel completely lost.
Mar 16, 2022 12:47 AM

Jan 2021
wait wait, I think I'm starting to understand what wired is.. but its still not so clear to me..

if I understand correctly wired is like a replicate of the world (where out character lives in) and since its a replicate people from the real world also exists in this wired, and this wired version of people is starting to get into the real world and like replacing the original people?? like this original people are disappearing/dying/ or getting replaced?? or their consciousness is just leaving their body?? (sorry if my explanation doesn't make any sense like even I also get confused while writing this)

and it seems lain knows what's going on.. also lain telling her father "I'm still me" in the last episode makes so much more sense..

but the thing I still don't understand is how Lain got some superpowers?? is it because of the psyche processor??
Mar 22, 2022 3:26 AM

Jan 2022
still just completely lost, I guess lain's sister has found herself caught up in whatever's going on

the thing at the end felt like one of those doppelganger things, like the whole superstitions that seeing your doppelganger is an omen of death or something- probably not what the writers intended though
Jun 30, 2022 2:07 PM
May 2022
I liked this episode but it was kinda confusing... Ok, so Lain starts talking to her mother and father about how the wired has come to affect their lives and understanding of their familiar relations with one another. This could mean that those people she was talking to truly weren't her parents, but the wired versions of them? And then we see that her sister gets caught up in the mix of this too, possibly because of how far and progressive Lain has become in the world of the Wired, now dragging her sister into it as the prophecy she is meant to carry out must be set into motion. What I don't get is the entire thing about Lain talking to the child-killing scientist about his experiment. Maybe she was trying to link it to all the games on the Wired that were somehow connected to games played by children, and she saw that many of the people who played these games were children? It seems like she was concerned that children were becoming the majority of the Wired and also being put in danger from playing these games, and it seemed similar to the child-killing experiment that happened 15 years ago? It's good, I'm just confused.
Jul 26, 2022 8:13 AM

Aug 2021
I have no idea, so the Wired works like the alternative world or a place to store dead lost soul, and what Lain mean by "I'm still me"? o_O
Jul 31, 2022 9:40 PM

Jun 2022
F U L F I L L T H E P R O P H E C Y
Aug 14, 2022 12:22 PM

Jun 2020
This show just keeps getting better it is very interesting and it portrays the present pretty well
Oct 5, 2022 7:06 AM

Feb 2021
I don't really understand what's happening in this episode! But I feel bad for Mika (Lain's sister) I mean everything was vague in this episode. I don't know what's happening in story and whatever Lain is doing.
Oct 30, 2022 12:46 AM
Oct 2022
still confusing.
Nov 4, 2022 1:36 AM

Aug 2020
im not even gonna pretend like i know whatever tf is going on
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» I'm got a question

mydaddy - Jun 5

17 by BenUnderscore »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

294 by Kennene »»
Jun 5, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

374 by lozicon »»
Jun 2, 7:15 AM

» This is the first anime to truly mindf*** me

mydaddy - May 22

21 by TRVE_Levitoathan »»
May 28, 12:22 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

174 by Bunker-Nines »»
May 19, 1:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.