Forum Settings
Forums

New Series from the Author of OreImo to Debut on Dengeki Bunko

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 10, 2013 7:38 AM

May 2012
Does the guy have some issues with his siters or what?
Nov 10, 2013 8:40 AM

Apr 2012
More siscon pandering smut.
Nov 10, 2013 10:22 AM

Apr 2013
If we forget the ending, OreImo was quite enjoyable. This new LN could be good.

Although I'm afraid Kirino ver. 2 will ruin most of it. She was unbearable.
Nov 10, 2013 10:34 AM

Jul 2013
Just from reading that synopsis, I can already see the story from beginning to end, it is kind of scary. But there is a small percentage in my head that this might surprise us, even though this is the second sis-con novel that this guy is making. I wonder what is with this guys' fetish with little sisters though.
Nov 10, 2013 10:35 AM

Aug 2013
hmm another brother-sister love -_-? but I'll watch it if an anime adaption is coming

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Nov 10, 2013 11:35 AM

Oct 2007
Honestly it's less the whole siscon thing (though that doesn't help) and more light novels about people that write light novels and shows for otaku that are about otaku that make me disinterested in stories like this sounds. It sometimes feels like the light novel industry is eating it's own tail practically and forever wanking to itself and it's devoted readers. I don't know maybe Otaku are so self-possessed in Japan now that they demand shows that are exclusively about people like them that make near constant reference to their sub-culture but it's kind of alienating to people like me who don't necessarily want to read/watch a story so clearly targeted at one particular sub-culture, it's memes and fetishes etc. that they don't consider themselves a part of per se.

It's almost like there's two seperate anime fanbases at this point, people that like reading stories that are their own stories and which go somewhere, and people that like reading stories that are about otaku culture and very little room for crossover between the two parties.
Nov 10, 2013 1:36 PM
Dec 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Honestly it's less the whole siscon thing (though that doesn't help) and more light novels about people that write light novels and shows for otaku that are about otaku that make me disinterested in stories like this sounds. It sometimes feels like the light novel industry is eating it's own tail practically and forever wanking to itself and it's devoted readers. I don't know maybe Otaku are so self-possessed in Japan now that they demand shows that are exclusively about people like them that make near constant reference to their sub-culture but it's kind of alienating to people like me who don't necessarily want to read/watch a story so clearly targeted at one particular sub-culture, it's memes and fetishes etc. that they don't consider themselves a part of per se.

It's almost like there's two seperate anime fanbases at this point, people that like reading stories that are their own stories and which go somewhere, and people that like reading stories that are about otaku culture and very little room for crossover between the two parties.

Sorry they don't consider poor gaijins feelings when writing light novels lol.
Nov 10, 2013 2:43 PM

Jul 2010
VioLink said:
Full synopsis:
The "new sibling romantic comedy" revolves around Masamune Izumi, a light novel author in high school. Masamune's little sister is Sagiri, a shut-in girl who hasn't left her room for an entire year. She even forces her brother to make and bring her meals when she stomps the floor. Masamune wants his sister to leave her room, because the two of them are each other's only family.

Masamune's novel illustrator, penname “Ero Manga Sensei,” draws extremely perverted drawings, and is very reliable. Masamune had never met his illustrator, and figured he was just a disgusting, perverted otaku. However, the truth is revealed … that his “Ero Manga Sensei” is his own younger sister! To add to the chaos that erupts between the siblings, a beautiful, female, best-selling shōjo manga creator becomes their rival!

thanks for the full synopsis.

and its still the same; bratty little sister, an MC that looks like he's gonna do everything for his sis again. i really do hope "kuroneko" of this one wins, though practically impossible if you put the author and imouto in the same group

Nov 10, 2013 2:45 PM

Apr 2009
mrspiral said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

You completely missed the point. Creators and fans are too close because in this niche market, the creators ARE the fans: A very small group of people that watch late night anime, that don't have the best reputation and that are only interesting in stories about themselves. It's not about "gaijins", it is about using the medium. And these people use the medium to produce the same shit over and over again. This stagnation kills creativity because the fandom of niche anime seems to be very focussed on only buying stuff that feels comfortable to them. This movement is destroying genres, destroying possibilities and is harming the medium in the longterm.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Nov 10, 2013 2:53 PM

Sep 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
We do we even bother? The lowlife incest fraction will love and buy it regardless of criticism and it's not like we can change anything.
Just let them have their "fun", if we are lucky the olympics and the journalistic exposure of certain Japanese tropes will put an end to some of the biggest dreck soon enough.

So yeah: Incest, tsundere, generic, "original", otaku, pandering, yadda yadda blablabla

Ok, here's my problem with comments like this:

Albeit not exactly a criticism on society, having incest in story IS far better than let's say, childhood friends in a harem series. It could bring attention to moral questions as in, what exactly is wrong with incest and such.

I'm not going to pretend this is Nobel Literature Prize level stuff here, but the series itself is formulated in a MUCH better way than most harem series I have seen. While it's not realistic to have EVERYONE in the cast to be so good looking, it does show some of the struggles in society(maybe they ditched that in season 2 though) faced by Otaku. The way each episode is presented sets up the overall story, and not just randomly shifting like a lot of the pure-fanservice series that I have seen.

Actually, there's almost no near-nudity in this series, I am going to have to say, all the criticism of the Oreimo series b/c it's moe or b/c it's incest are pretty stupid, b/c the series is pretty good one, even when compared to non-harem series.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Nov 10, 2013 2:57 PM

Aug 2013
I think the problem is less "I hate shows that pander to otaku" and more "I hate shows that don't pander to me!"

If a show perfectly adheares to one's taste, that person won't complain about it and say that the show 'appeals' to them rather than 'panders.'

And really, no anime is made for 'anime fans in general', they're only made for whatever target audience was decided upon. If they're going to make a show for otaku, they're gonna put in stuff that otaku like. If they're going to make it for the artsy crowd, they're going to put in stuff that group likes.

If you aren't a member of the target audience and the content bothers you, well, it wasn't meant for you. Don't get angry at the show for failing at something it wasn't trying to do in the first place.
Nov 10, 2013 3:10 PM

Dec 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:

It seems like most baka gajins people in the western fandom simply don't get that light novels are targeted towards Otakus and those Otakus don't really care for fiction with substance, the most important part to them are the characters and how appealing, interesting and likable they are, they don't exactly care if they are realistic, three dimensional or w/e. Those light novels clearly don't appeal to some people in the western fandom, yet they continue watching it and call it ''garbage'', ''trash'' etc, and basically criticize it for something it NEVER tried to do.

Not to forget that the LN industry doesn't only has this type of stories, there are other normal novels that usually sell better. So no, the LN industry is not doomed. As for the anime industry, you got to understand that Otakus are loyal fans and they will buy those expensive DVD/BD meanwhile fans of manga probably won't ( ex: Sliver spoon) so it makes sense for LN adaptions to be more prominent each season. LN adaptions can make profit from BD/DVD sales and advertisement for the original source material, manga adaptions usually only advertise the original source material and doesn't get much profit from BD/DVD sales.
tsudecimoNov 10, 2013 3:15 PM
Nov 10, 2013 3:27 PM

Aug 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
You completely missed the point. Creators and fans are too close because in this niche market, the creators ARE the fans: A very small group of people that watch late night anime, that don't have the best reputation and that are only interesting in stories about themselves. It's not about "gaijins", it is about using the medium. And these people use the medium to produce the same shit over and over again. This stagnation kills creativity because the fandom of niche anime seems to be very focussed on only buying stuff that feels comfortable to them. This movement is destroying genres, destroying possibilities and is harming the medium in the longterm.
It's only a problem if people think the direction the medium is headed is a bad thing. If you wanna make a big deal out of it, that's fine I guess, but that won't mean other people will think it is bad. And it most certainly doesn't mean that there's something wrong with the fans.
gamer2710Nov 10, 2013 3:31 PM
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Nov 10, 2013 3:31 PM

Sep 2011
tsudecimo said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

It seems like most baka gajins people in the western fandom simply don't get that light novels are targeted towards Otakus and those Otakus don't really care for fiction with substance, the most important part to them are the characters and how appealing, interesting and likable they are, they don't exactly care if they are realistic, three dimensional or w/e. Those light novels clearly don't appeal to some people in the western fandom, yet they continue watching it and call it ''garbage'', ''trash'' etc, and basically criticize it for something it NEVER tried to do.

Not to forget that the LN industry doesn't only has this type of stories, there are other normal novels that usually sell better. So no, the LN industry is not doomed. As for the anime industry, you got to understand that Otakus are loyal fans and they will buy those expensive DVD/BD meanwhile fans of manga probably won't ( ex: Sliver spoon) so it makes sense for LN adaptions to be more prominent each season. LN adaptions can make profit from BD/DVD sales and advertisement for the original source material, manga adaptions usually only advertise the original source material and doesn't get much profit from BD/DVD sales.

Basic Economics here. There is, however, some objectivity that can be achieved when viewing the Light Novel Series'
Nov 10, 2013 8:09 PM

Oct 2007
mrspiral said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

This is a really stupid entirely pointless reply that contributes absolutely nothing to the discussion. What made you feel this was a worthwhile post to make?

tsudecimo said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I know they're basically pulp fiction but I think it's still fair to criticize the writing in these stories even if they aren't trying to be particularly deep. Like for example how characters in OreImo ignore basic logic and established character behavior whenever Kirino is in a scene such that she is on the "right" side of whatever is transpiring and has her way in the end. When there's plenty of Light Novels that can just be good dumb fun and that I can enjoy the anime adaptations of without being outright contradictory and blatantly contrived I think there's a comparative standard there for criticism. And OreImo isn't the only one, but it's a fair example.

Like I really don't see anything wrong with having some basic standards to be met even by Light Novels. This doesn't sound interesting and given the authors track record with this sort of material if an anime comes out I probably won't be tuning in. Again I think that's a fair position :/

Nidhoeggr said:

You completely missed the point. Creators and fans are too close because in this niche market, the creators ARE the fans: A very small group of people that watch late night anime, that don't have the best reputation and that are only interesting in stories about themselves. It's not about "gaijins", it is about using the medium. And these people use the medium to produce the same shit over and over again. This stagnation kills creativity because the fandom of niche anime seems to be very focused on only buying stuff that feels comfortable to them. This movement is destroying genres, destroying possibilities and is harming the medium in the longterm.

I think that's a pretty fair concern to have. Again I don't see what's wrong with having some baseline standards here. For example mine are really simple in terms of I probably won't enjoy a show and have cause to criticize them if they are

1. Blatantly pandering to the point where it gets in the way of whatever else it's trying to accomplish with the narrative or character interactions

2. Boring and pedantic in that they use similar setups and executions without any sort of variation on the formula that distinguishes it from it's peers in some way.

3. Wasting time for episodes on end by not showing any progression be it development of the cast, the plot moving along at a reasonable pace or the scene serving at least some purpose with regard to future events.

I don't think these are unreasonable base standards, but I assume somebody will tell me why I'm wrong and why I should just accept everything anime culture throws at me without question or meaningful commentary.
PeacingOutNov 10, 2013 8:23 PM
Nov 10, 2013 9:13 PM

Sep 2011
Sounds fun to be honest.

Oreimo spoiler
Nov 10, 2013 10:21 PM

Sep 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
For example mine are really simple in terms of I probably won't enjoy a show and have cause to criticize them if they are

1. Blatantly pandering to the point where it gets in the way of whatever else it's trying to accomplish with the narrative or character interactions

2. Boring and pedantic in that they use similar setups and executions without any sort of variation on the formula that distinguishes it from it's peers in some way.

3. Wasting time for episodes on end by not showing any progression be it development of the cast, the plot moving along at a reasonable pace or the scene serving at least some purpose with regard to future events.

I don't think these are unreasonable base standards, but I assume somebody will tell me why I'm wrong and why I should just accept everything anime culture throws at me without question or meaningful commentary.
Well, I am sure most people hold to these simple standards, but have you considered the facts that the yardsticks and priority each person measures for those standards can vary quite a bit?
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 11, 2013 12:00 AM
Dec 2010
The problem with Oreimo IMHO is that Kirino's otaku problems were resolved too quickly and after that the series lost its point. They were able to stretch the plot for a while with the Kyousuke/Kuroneko romance but when they tried to LOLIncest the series became really stupid. I actually can see this new series having more potential than Oreimo and lasting longer than it, so I am positive of it.
Nov 11, 2013 12:17 AM

Sep 2013
i think its a good thing < maybe i will check it
Nov 11, 2013 12:35 AM

Apr 2009
gamer2710 said:
It's only a problem if people think the direction the medium is headed is a bad thing. If you wanna make a big deal out of it, that's fine I guess, but that won't mean other people will think it is bad. And it most certainly doesn't mean that there's something wrong with the fans.

Well, industry officials certainly think there is a problem as numerous directors and creative heads have expressed that they can't realize their creative concepts because they know fans will not buy it. When people like Yuasa have to turn to Kickstarter to finance projects you know that creativity is not worth that much.

Also:

GodlyKyon said:

I'm not going to pretend this is Nobel Literature Prize level stuff here, but the series itself is formulated in a MUCH better way than most harem series I have seen. While it's not realistic to have EVERYONE in the cast to be so good looking, it does show some of the struggles in society(maybe they ditched that in season 2 though) faced by Otaku. The way each episode is presented sets up the overall story, and not just randomly shifting like a lot of the pure-fanservice series that I have seen.

Actually, there's almost no near-nudity in this series, I am going to have to say, all the criticism of the Oreimo series b/c it's moe or b/c it's incest are pretty stupid, b/c the series is pretty good one, even when compared to non-harem series.

But the thing is, the good setup in the beginning gets wasted (and that was pretty clear from the start) because of it being a novel aimed at otakus:

Kaioshin_Sama said:

I think that's a pretty fair concern to have. Again I don't see what's wrong with having some baseline standards here. For example mine are really simple in terms of I probably won't enjoy a show and have cause to criticize them if they are

Kaioshin said:
Like for example how characters in OreImo ignore basic logic and established character behavior whenever Kirino is in a scene such that she is on the "right" side of whatever is transpiring and has her way in the end.

And the same hold true for most other characters. Why did Kuroneko act the way she acts? Why is everyone confessing to Kyousuke in the end? Why does the - and some moments of that were indeed very good - portrayal of otaku in general in relation to society in S1 stop and get retconned into a "everyone is actually an otaku, really pretty and good and we all luv each other because OTAKU 4 LYFE" world that completely negates the impact the developing relationships could have in regards to their parents, etc.? Why do people who hate otakus end up as magical girl-cosplaying idols? Why are entire arcs for support characters neglected when they don't appeal to otakus?
These are big problems that hamper the enjoyment so much that by the end of the series most fans even on MAL were turned away by it and got angry.

However,
GodlyKyon said:

Basic Economics here. There is, however, some objectivity that can be achieved when viewing the Light Novel Series'

This is also true. But think about it: House of Cards, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, The Wire, 24, Homeland, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, etc.
These are all shows that are immensly popular as well as critically acclaimed. Especially series like The Sopranos tried a new concept that would have been possible without trying out something different and having the balls to not comform to industry standards for once. Anime can do the same with series like Madoka, yet a lot of people even in Japanese society have a pretty bad impression about anime. Does it not occur to people that the exact pandering of late night anime and the strong focus on these titles (with a partial neglect of titles with a general appeal like Space Brothers, Chihayafuru, etc.) are what is harming the reputation of their own medium in the future?
Western TV also has a problem with keeping younger generations or a broad public for the medium because they pander too much to their core audience that only wants the same over and over again and in a decade or so this will lead to severe problems in the big TV stations if they don't change (well, thankfully some do).
It is possible to make good shows for everyone that are still liked by more hardcore fans. But as noitaminA's regression showed, the monetary value of the otaku culture is too strong to be neglected over a long time even for slots that initially aimed to be something different. I have no problems with anime being made only for otaku, but ffs: Not EVERY anime has to be full of otaku references, idols, imoutos who want the d, etc.
Is that too much to ask?

PS:
The diversity that might bind a large percentage of the entire population to a medium is neglected because a very small niche of fans-turned-into-creators is reproducing the same every season. With moderate success most of the time, to boot. Obviously, marketing and business officials will see the chances here and create overexposure to get some of the revenue as well. It's also interesting to note that the LN adaptions I find to be creative and good are mostly of older LN, which may indicate a certain streamlining in the modern LN industry.
If this was German TV it would be the equivalent of Volksmusik shows airing everyday on primetime slots on most public stations. Sure, they got moderate quotes and the ad revenue is ok, but it caused entire generations to neglect these stations because it is "retiree TV (slots)". Most people who think this way will not tune in to these stations for a long time, that's for sure. In my generation tons of people have a very negative attitude towards TV, citing arguments that are suprisingly similar to the general attitude a lot of people on MAL and Japanese society have towards anime.
I always thought that anime fans who truly love the medium would try to prevent such a thing from happening to their favourite medium as well, but apparently I was wrong...
NidhoeggrNov 11, 2013 1:14 AM
Nov 11, 2013 2:43 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:

I always thought that anime fans who truly love the medium would try to prevent such a thing from happening to their favourite medium as well, but apparently I was wrong...
I think you are asking the wrong question. Who are the "anime fans who truly love the medium"? How many of such people exist? I think what I see are mostly just people who want to be entertained by animation. If they see the animation as not entertaining they would just switch to other entertainment. I am sure there are a good number of people who love anime as a medium but even those people may not spend money if they do not find the anime on offer as entertaining. So here you go, at the end is that there is anime that watchers find entertaining, not that the anime fans would just buy anime because, well, they are anime (because they love the medium).

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 11, 2013 2:47 AM

Sep 2012
Sounds shitty.
Nov 11, 2013 2:49 AM

Apr 2009
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

I think you are asking the wrong question. Who are the "anime fans who truly love the medium"? How many of such people exist? I think what I see are mostly just people who want to be entertained by animation. If they see the animation as not entertaining they would just switch to other entertainment. I am sure there are a good number of people who love anime as a medium but even those people may not spend money if they do not find the anime on offer as entertaining. So here you go, at the end is that there is anime that watchers find entertaining, not that the anime fans would just buy anime because, well, they are anime (because they love the medium).

But why are otaku so focussed on always the same tropes then? Don't they strive for more diversity within the tropes that entertain them as well? Or search for a series that handles things they love even better than their favourites? If I'd love a certain series' approach I'd always try to look for series that might have a similar direction, but a totally different take on certain subjects. Or series with the same story structure in a completely new context. Or series that can achieve the same level of coherence as my favourite.

Or do you tell me that a lot of the otakus really only want the same cardboard cutout characters over and over again? Are they really satisfied that it is ALWAYS the same "Ara Ara~" type of character that is an ojou-sama?

I stand by my main point: The fans and creators are too close, with all the consequences.
I imagine there would be more money from investors if more people were interested in certain series. Animation, salaries, etc. are all impacted by this indirectly and it is a shame to see people slaving away, creativity being neglected, etc. just because some no-life losers never want to break out of their escapism comfort zone. Think of Kannagi and the ridiculous act of not buying a series you enjoy - or even hating it - because one of the girls - or better: potential waifus - had a boyfriend... how desperate can you get ffs?! But then again: If they are fine working for bad conditions as long as they get to draw cute girls as girlfriend substitutes, so be it. It's just a shame once you look at all the wasted potential.
Of course this is an ironic exaggeration, but I hope you get my point.
NidhoeggrNov 11, 2013 3:11 AM
Nov 11, 2013 3:05 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:

But why are otaku so focussed on always the same tropes then? Don't they strive for more diversity within the tropes that entertain them as well? Or search for a series that handles things they love even better than their favourites? If I'd love a certain series' approach I'd always try to look for series that might have a similar direction, but a totally different take on certain subjects. Or series with the same story structure in a completely new context. Or series that can achieve the same level of coherence as my favourite.

Or do you tell me that a lot of the otakus really only want the same cardboard cutout characters over and over again? Are they really satisfied that it is ALWAYS the same "Ara Ara~" type of character that is an ojou-sama?
The answer lies in whether you are seeing the same thing as the fans do. For example, you may want to say all the pop music are the same generic cardboard music but surely fans of pop music will tell you that they can tell apart one pop artist from another and they have their own standard to decide which pop artist they love. The thing is, if you don't like what the pop music industry offers, every song sounds the same to you, and then you may ask "are you telling me that a lot of pop music fans really only want the same cardboard cutout music over and over again?" Yet there are differences inside pop music and its fans actually enjoy the diversity within it. Besides pop music also evolves and people's taste indeed changes. Same with anime. Fans can tell the characters apart even if they all look the same to you. And their taste do change. Siscon and incest themes were quite unthinkable (at least not deemed to be very popular) even 5 or 6 years ago for example.

Nidhoeggr said:
I stand by my main point: The fans and creators are too close, with all the consequences.
Could be. You could argue that this certainly limits the diversity and you could even argue this creates an isolated system in terms of ideas. However, I do not think it is necessarily a bad thing in terms of business, and how bad it is depends a lot on whether you love what the system has to offer. Besides, in a niche market like anime, close relationship between fans and creators often means sustainability and survival of the industry.

And is this wasted potential? Could be, but again it is not as if the industry never ever tries something new. Risk is indeed taken and some new ideas flop while some succeed. So it is not like the industry is just standing still, but at the end success is determined by the consumers and where they spend the money. And it is only natural that resource is spent, and potential explored, in places where chances of success are deemed likely.

As for working for bad condition, again I would ask whether the right question has been asked. It is very unlikely that some miracle would appear and everyone just suddenly sees the light and strives for diversity without consideration of business risk and profit, and even after that you have to assume that by doing so the industry would really change everyone's opinion and a lot more people will come to accept it, and thus getting big money to come to raise people's condition. A wonderful ideal utopia story perhaps but most likely it would stay just at that.

From analyses I read the poor working condition of animators has several levels of reasons but none of it has to do with prevalence of moe tropes. If anything, there is widespread view that precisely because of moe tropes there are a lot more shows these days than before with all the adaptations of VN, LN and SoL stuff (meaning more work going around) and it also helps sustain a lot of related business like merchandising that production committees of anime would now need to take into account for their investment in making anime shows.
symbvNov 11, 2013 3:44 AM

Nov 11, 2013 4:27 AM

Apr 2009
1) We are not talking about entire genres or LN, we are talking about very specific story techniques and constructs that prevail here. Obviously pop and any other mainstream market is the same, but - and here I agree that anime is the same to an extent - there are different subgenres and trends that shape the current landscape of pop. Techno incluences, R'n'B, etc. were all trends that can be compared with trends like LN adaptions. However, the specific workings of such tropes can be quite different. Yet, the main (pseudo) harem members are almost always the same (token loli, token ojou-sama, token airhead, etc.), there are Sekaikei influences (well, in earlier works but still) and so forth. A lot of small details are almost always the same as well, which is particulary interesting and disturbed as it makes these titles very predictable.

2) Maybe the industry needs to appeal to the hardcore fan market because so many potentially interested peopla are alienated by said crowd, thus turning them away from the medium that will only rarely ever writes stories that appeal to them and that has a reputation of being only enjoyed by... people with questionable social lives?
Especially if what you call "changing tastes" is basically narrowing down the scope of the potential consumers even more by including more and more fetisches that are only enjoyed by said crowd.

But ultimately, the focus on only one crowd might spell doom for the entire medium. There's been some coverage about that in Western media as well. Obviously I am sceptical about these sources, but I think that they can pass as evidence regarding the general trend towards otaku culture (that hentai bit is iffy, though).

There's an interesting side to it mentioned that I don't see talked about very often: that the shift into more adult, near-pornographic anime on late-night TV can be attributed in large part to the aging of Japan's population. With fewer and fewer young people to add to the pile of anime consumers, the industry has to focus more and more on those obsessive fans. As you can imagine, this is particularly troublesome, because if they're not adding new fans even out of the small pool available now, then when the older otaku pass on, the fandom in Japan will diminish severely, and the industry with it.

Anime's other big threat is Japan's shrinking population of children - new viewers are harder and harder to come by - so anime has had to change its target audience, according to the industry chief, Toyoo Ashida.

TOYOO ASHIDA, INDUSTRY CHIEF (Translation): With the declining birth rate the target of animation production has moved towards young people and adults who grew up watching animation. We now produce anime specifically for those people. So we were able to expand our target audience and our market, but to meet the shift in the market we developed late-night anime.

Hashimoto's business has so far avoided anime porn. He's worried the trend is turning off the general audience.

KAZUMORI HASHIMOTO (Translation): It's been putting a strain on the industry. With the economic downturn our market has narrowed and the industry is slack. We're not producing much aimed at a general audience.

I also took a look at A-Line's site and jobs after reading all of this because I just couldn't believe that this image actually holds so much truth about the industry. I find it sad that, even though the company wants to reach out to other crowds and secure another fanbase, the industry workings and demographic problems force them to abide just to stay in business. Especially with MMY being on their front page, a show with a very interesting concept that was sadly ruined by focussing too much on the heroes' romantic interests and the large breasts of the demon lord... However, the general trend seems to indicate exactly that.

Sure, there might be a temporary boom for the subculture due to the heavy focus on a single, obsessive fangroup. But what comes after that? I am not very optimistic and as someone who loves all kinds of anime I'd hate to see everythign go down the gutter because everyone is focussing too much on one peer group.
Especially since these otakus will surely not have enough kids to carry the entire market in the future. Or even sex LOL.
NidhoeggrNov 11, 2013 4:37 AM
Nov 11, 2013 4:49 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
1) We are not talking about entire genres or LN, we are talking about very specific story techniques and constructs that prevail here.
But when you talk about tropes and cardboard characters, it is like talking about lyrics tropes or arrangement techniques in pop music, right?

Nidhoeggr said:
Yet, the main (pseudo) harem members are almost always the same (token loli, token ojou-sama, token airhead, etc.), there are Sekaikei influences (well, in earlier works but still) and so forth. A lot of small details are almost always the same as well, which is particulary interesting and disturbed as it makes these titles very predictable.
Well, it is not just harem, but any love comedy or even SoL could contain similar character types. This is what I was talking about when I said characters would seem to you as same just like pop music (we can even restrict to those idol pop music if we want to do a better comparison) may seem to you as same and predictable if you are not fans.

Nidhoeggr said:

Especially if what you call "changing tastes" is basically narrowing down the scope of the potential consumers even more by including more and more fetisches that are only enjoyed by said crowd.
But isn't fetish taste still taste? And it is not just fetish, perhaps after SAO and Log Horizon we will see more stuff based on MMORPG? After Girls und Panzer we may see more anime that stresses on collaboration with military model makers? And we know Girls und Panzer successfully drew in people who do not usually buy anime discs, so it is not always true that successful new ideas only draw in consumers from the same crowd. It may be just that the new idea or the new consumers may still not be what you prefer to see.

There's an interesting side to it mentioned that I don't see talked about very often: that the shift into more adult, near-pornographic anime on late-night TV can be attributed in large part to the aging of Japan's population. With fewer and fewer young people to add to the pile of anime consumers, the industry has to focus more and more on those obsessive fans. As you can imagine, this is particularly troublesome, because if they're not adding new fans even out of the small pool available now, then when the older otaku pass on, the fandom in Japan will diminish severely, and the industry with it.
What it did not say here is that the problem is not the midnight anime but the decline of kids anime. More than midnight anime, in kids anime sponsorship is always the critical key, and the trend is that sponsors are less willing to stump up money. The worry is that as fewer kids shows are made, and kids attention is increasingly drawn to places like internet or games and not anime, and of course together with the decrease in the kids' population, there will be fewer anime fans in future. One key thing to note is that the blame never rests with the anime on late-night TV. If anything it is the shortage of profitable ventures in kids anime that pushed the anime industry to seek opportunities in other directions.

Nidhoeggr said:

I also took a look at A-Line's site and jobs after reading all of this because I just couldn't believe that this image actually holds so much truth about the industry. I find it sad that, even though the company wants to reach out to other crowds and secure another fanbase, the industry workings and demographic problems force them to abide just to stay in business. Especially with MMY being on their front page, a show with a very interesting concept that was sadly ruined by focussing too much on the heroes' romantic interests and the large breasts of the demon lord...
Well, the picture is generally true about the industry. A lot of anime related products, from anime BD/DVD to figurines, are not cheap at all. Who will pay that amount of money consistently? They have got to be dedicated (in your pic, it says obsessive fans but I doubt the translation) fans to do that. In fact the music industry is also undergoing the same stress and transformation, and now the pop chart in Japan is dominated by idol music and anime music. Why? Because only those CDs sell (with the occasional exceptions) since they have the most dedicated consumers.

As for "making what we want to make", in fact I read an interview of the producer of Kill la Kill and he said that in Gainax he could make what he wanted to make (like Panty & Stocking) but he got really concerned because he believed that anime should not be just what he wants to make but what the fans enjoy seeing. This is why he left Gainax and formed Trigger (and make Kill la Kill). Of course this is a risk he took but at least it is a risk that is about making money as much as providing diversity. On the other hand, Gainax now only carries the reputation among fans (in Japan) that it is a rump of its past glory and only cares about making things they want without much regard of what fans really want.
symbvNov 11, 2013 5:07 AM

Nov 11, 2013 6:37 AM

Aug 2012
One would think that, based on these arguments, the only way the anime industry will listen is through a crash.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Nov 11, 2013 6:46 AM

Sep 2012
gamer2710 said:
One would think that, based on these arguments, the only way the anime industry will listen is through a crash.
If there is still an industry left to listen, that is.

Nov 11, 2013 7:26 AM

Sep 2011
Nidhoeggr said:

There's something interesting I want to know: Since the Otaku is such a small and devoted fanbase, where do they get their income? Become I am having trouble understanding that, maybe the otaku is spread all throughout the different classes and not just the stereotypical shut-in that lives on their family?

There's something else, while series like Uchuu Kyoudai are excellent, why do they do so terribly in Anime Sales? While these series are objectively good, but they do not sale... I want to some opinions on this stat

Mod edit.
Spoiler button added
AversaNov 11, 2013 10:21 AM
Nov 11, 2013 7:47 AM

Dec 2012
GodlyKyon said:

There's something else, while series like Uchuu Kyoudai are excellent, why do they do so terribly in Anime Sales? While these series are objectively good, but they do not sale... I want to some opinions on this stat

1/ There is no such thing as ''objectively'' good. You can use the word critically if you want or any other word with meaning you are looking for.

2/ For the same reason HxH (2011), One Piece and Naruto don't sell so well in BD/DVD sales. They are long runners, their profit comes from TV ratings, promotion of the manga and possibly merchandise.
Nov 11, 2013 8:48 AM

Sep 2011
tsudecimo said:
GodlyKyon said:

1/ There is no such thing as ''objectively'' good. You can use the word critically if you want or any other word with meaning you are looking for.

2/ For the same reason HxH (2011), One Piece and Naruto don't sell so well in BD/DVD sales. They are long runners, their profit comes from TV ratings, promotion of the manga and possibly merchandise.

Manga series tend to have horrible adaptations when I seeing them compared to the manga.

Maybe the problem is with that some series tend to just be promotions, such as Danganronpa?
Nov 11, 2013 9:08 AM
Dec 2010
GodlyKyon said:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2013-11-10/japan-animation-tv-ranking-october-28-november-3

Uchuu Kyoudai is not an otaku series, it airs at 17:30 (before Conan) and actually has pretty good TV ratings. Long running anime series rarely sells well for DVD/BD, how many people actually collect these series?
Nov 11, 2013 9:18 AM

Dec 2012
Danganronpa is originally a video game so it's makes sense for the anime to be a promotion.
Nov 11, 2013 9:31 AM

Mar 2013
The seconds season's specials made me quite dislike OreImo, so I sure hope that when the ending to this new LN comes, it won't be as messed up as OreImo was.
Nov 11, 2013 9:31 AM

Sep 2011
scytheavatar said:
GodlyKyon said:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2013-11-10/japan-animation-tv-ranking-october-28-november-3

Uchuu Kyoudai is not an otaku series, it airs at 17:30 (before Conan) and actually has pretty good TV ratings. Long running anime series rarely sells well for DVD/BD, how many people actually collect these series?

It's a pretty universal series and what I find funny is that they do not have good sales. I guess it makes sense since there are so many DVDs to collect.
Nov 11, 2013 10:09 AM

Jul 2012
Imouto novels are economically serious business guys.
Nov 11, 2013 2:42 PM

Jun 2013
Bananaguy said:
"Yeah, incest for the win!"

Best line ever.
Nov 11, 2013 3:00 PM

Aug 2013
GodlyKyon said:
There's something interesting I want to know: Since the Otaku is such a small and devoted fanbase, where do they get their income? Become I am having trouble understanding that, maybe the otaku is spread all throughout the different classes and not just the stereotypical shut-in that lives on their family?

Honestly, given how much anime merchandise costs in Japan, it stands to reason that the majority of the real buying market is going to be not-so-different from the average importer: single young adults with full-time jobs who choose to spend lots of money on their hobby rather than on other priorities. These purchasers hardly have a single-minded focus or interest based on the widely varied sales of shows in all sorts of genres. (Look at the top-selling shows of 2012/2013. Hint: they're not all "moe".) The only thing the purchasers have in common is being able/willing to spend a lot of money on their hobbies (at least for one or more shows).

Anyway, all that to say, it's sort of fun in a way that people create this image of otaku culture that's so crazy and eccentric, but the truth is almost always much more boring/mundane than the many anime blogs would have you believe. The stereotypical "otaku" isn't actually what runs the market; the people with the money do.
Nov 11, 2013 4:36 PM

Jul 2011
I loved OREimo (even the ending) so can't wait for this! i'm pretty sure it'll get an anime adaption and i already can't wait!! lol plus the little sister looks adorable
Nov 11, 2013 4:42 PM

Oct 2007
Nidhoeggr said:

And the same hold true for most other characters. Why did Kuroneko act the way she acts? Why is everyone confessing to Kyousuke in the end? Why does the - and some moments of that were indeed very good - portrayal of otaku in general in relation to society in S1 stop and get retconned into a "everyone is actually an otaku, really pretty and good and we all luv each other because OTAKU 4 LYFE" world that completely negates the impact the developing relationships could have in regards to their parents, etc.? Why do people who hate otakus end up as magical girl-cosplaying idols? Why are entire arcs for support characters neglected when they don't appeal to otakus?
These are big problems that hamper the enjoyment so much that by the end of the series most fans even on MAL were turned away by it and got angry.

Again extremely reasonable criticisms from where I'm sitting. This is the sort of thing I mean when I keep saying in certain discussions that it kills a show dead for me when obvious pandering gets in the way of basic logic, character development and storytelling. It's not okay to me when a show just clearly disregards everything in order to depict a certain result on screen. In this case the incest relationship starting up and Kyousuke having to reject the entire cast that's suddenly head over heels for him one by one and trying to flatter and portray otaku in the most positive light it can. Though I'd argue the show always had problems with basic behavioral logic when it came to anything to do with Kirino. Basically the entire world and every character gets put on hold whenever she had a meltdown in the first season and the result always seemed to be about characters coming around to her position and realizing she was "right" and they were "wrong" using some bullshit contrived logic such as "oh we were just hating on her happiness and talent" or, "I failed to understand her feelings" and her being a tremendous whiny bitch of a character apparently just being completely alright in the long run. I've honestly rarely seen scenarios and resolutions so contrived even with regard to light novels, it went beyond just being simplistic and into the realm of "in what world does any of what anybody is saying make any sort of sense even in the context of the already contrived situation".

The irony I'm sure is lost on many who don't think about these sorts of basic things is that because it fails to get the basic things down like making the cast actually tolerable in their interactions and personalities it manages to make them otaku look like anything but decent functional human beings.

But anyway it'd be funny if this really is the author taking a mulligan on OreImo. If he can manage the same kind of story without all the bullshit that made OreImo a complete laughingstock of a story it might not be completely terrible. I doubt I'd still ever watch it, but it'd be an improvement for the guy however dubious.

Nidhoeggr said:
I have no problems with anime being made only for otaku, but ffs: Not EVERY anime has to be full of otaku references, idols, imoutos who want the d, etc.
Is that too much to ask?

Fucking this a thousand times. Not only is it irritating to have to sit there for moments on end listening to characters prattle on about a hobby that while I am interested I have no desire to hear dissected by fictional characters while I am partaking in that hobby, but quite often shows that are about these things are atrociously terrible or don't even seem to care about the basic storytelling things. What is the point of this medium self-fellating itself about this. I mean some shows do it better than others admittedly like WataMote which was extremely tongue and cheek and anything but flattering about it and thus kind of refreshing, but for the most part it's one of the things I least enjoy about modern late night anime. I consider scenes that focus on these sorts of things dead minutes and shows that abuse it tend to be quick drops.

Also to be fair I think very few anime are actually about these things, but lately they always seem to be the most popular top selling ones and it's a worrying trend as the last thing I want from the future of anime are tropey anime that are all about tropey anime characters talking about anime tropes trying to be all self-aware and meta and just failing miserably at being funny or insightful and having anything else interesting happen cause they're too busy wanking off to the audience instead.

Nidhoeggr said:

I imagine there would be more money from investors if more people were interested in certain series. Animation, salaries, etc. are all impacted by this indirectly and it is a shame to see people slaving away, creativity being neglected, etc. just because some no-life losers never want to break out of their escapism comfort zone. Think of Kannagi and the ridiculous act of not buying a series you enjoy - or even hating it - because one of the girls - or better: potential waifus - had a boyfriend... how desperate can you get ffs?! But then again: If they are fine working for bad conditions as long as they get to draw cute girls as girlfriend substitutes, so be it. It's just a shame once you look at all the wasted potential.

I'm sort of playing devils advocate here a bit and sort of not, but personally I'm more or less accepting of tropeness in anime nowadays as long as the story and characters are functional in some capacity and I can gain some enjoyment out of watching it. It's the shows that are both tropey and pandering and fail miserably at the basic storytelling things by drowning in trying to self-aggrandize (I'm using that term because I believe you're sort of right about the light novel side of the industry being a little too in bed with a specific niche of it's fans) otaku culture and whatever the hottest new fad is that I can do without.

Regarding Ojou-Sama characters, yeah there's a lot of them, but I swear to god for the most part they seem better than most as far as moe inspired female characters go these days. Not sure if it's just because it's a popular character trope and hence writers are trying a little more with them to make them interesting lately but I find that's one of the few tropes evolving beyond it's roots of butt monkey/haughty laughing girl. I swear half the time I find the token Ojou-sama the best written female character in any given show, though admittedly this is usually a comparative standard to the rest of a given cast and nothing more.

I agree though it seems like one sub-set of the anime fandom in Japan seems to have way too much influence nowadays. I guess these niche fetishists really are the only ones willing to spend that much money on Blu-Rays and the like cause honestly it probably takes a very special kind of person to be willing to blow that much money on anime in a country with a cost of living as high as Japans.

tsudecimo said:

It's worth mentioning that this is honestly a fair, logical and IMO probably accurate point. Long running shows aside from Gintama which is now broken up into 13 episode chunks are really hard to justify charging average Blu-Ray prices for and expecting people to collect every episode.

symbv said:
What it did not say here is that the problem is not the midnight anime but the decline of kids anime. More than midnight anime, in kids anime sponsorship is always the critical key, and the trend is that sponsors are less willing to stump up money. The worry is that as fewer kids shows are made, and kids attention is increasingly drawn to places like internet or games and not anime, and of course together with the decrease in the kids' population, there will be fewer anime fans in future. One key thing to note is that the blame never rests with the anime on late-night TV. If anything it is the shortage of profitable ventures in kids anime that pushed the anime industry to seek opportunities in other directions.

This honestly sounds kind of plausible actually.
PeacingOutNov 11, 2013 5:20 PM
Nov 11, 2013 5:54 PM

Nov 2012
and the legend continues
Nov 11, 2013 7:39 PM

Sep 2012
Amiluhur said:

Honestly, given how much anime merchandise costs in Japan, it stands to reason that the majority of the real buying market is going to be not-so-different from the average importer: single young adults with full-time jobs who choose to spend lots of money on their hobby rather than on other priorities. These purchasers hardly have a single-minded focus or interest based on the widely varied sales of shows in all sorts of genres. (Look at the top-selling shows of 2012/2013. Hint: they're not all "moe".) The only thing the purchasers have in common is being able/willing to spend a lot of money on their hobbies (at least for one or more shows).
I think Amiluhur puts it better than I could have. And this is indeed the picture I get from reading Japanese forums and news. Basically they have the financial means (so less likely to be students) but not much of burden (no family or kids need to support, perhaps even living with his parents), and they are willing to spend a big proportion of their income on their hobby.

Amiluhur said:
Anyway, all that to say, it's sort of fun in a way that people create this image of otaku culture that's so crazy and eccentric, but the truth is almost always much more boring/mundane than the many anime blogs would have you believe. The stereotypical "otaku" isn't actually what runs the market; the people with the money do.
A lot of people, even those in Japan, have not really met or talked to a real Japanese "otaku". I have. And over the many years spent in Japan I can say that most of them are just normal chaps, and the big difference is only the passion and commitment they have towards their hobby.
symbvNov 11, 2013 8:05 PM

Nov 11, 2013 9:08 PM
Dec 2010
Those 2D waifus probably cost far less to maintain than a real woman anyway, so I fail to see why otakus can't afford their hobby........
Nov 11, 2013 9:28 PM

Sep 2012
scytheavatar said:
Those 2D waifus probably cost far less to maintain than a real woman anyway, so I fail to see why otakus can't afford their hobby........
It is actually one reason often mentioned by otaku about why they prefer 2D girls than 3D ones. I can really see their point.

Nov 11, 2013 9:43 PM
Mar 2009
Geezus, the siscon is strong in this one. I thought he might try something different after the disastrous ending of volume 12.

Fuck, even the synopsis sounds similar...

-The brother that serves the imouto
-The two are into light novels (part of the stereotypical otaku set)
-A rival that's also into the business and is really good at it

Wow, that's basically Kirino, Kyousuke, and Kuroneko summed up already.

It'll be like reading/watching OreImo all over again, but with different names!
Nov 12, 2013 3:20 AM

Jan 2013
They aren't even blood related. She became his sister 1 year prior.
We're more likely to get a decent ending now, but I've lost a lot of interest.
[url][/url]
Nov 12, 2013 12:36 PM
Oct 2010
Amiluhur said:
I think the problem is less "I hate shows that pander to otaku" and more "I hate shows that don't pander to me!"

If a show perfectly adheares to one's taste, that person won't complain about it and say that the show 'appeals' to them rather than 'panders.'

And really, no anime is made for 'anime fans in general', they're only made for whatever target audience was decided upon. If they're going to make a show for otaku, they're gonna put in stuff that otaku like. If they're going to make it for the artsy crowd, they're going to put in stuff that group likes.

If you aren't a member of the target audience and the content bothers you, well, it wasn't meant for you. Don't get angry at the show for failing at something it wasn't trying to do in the first place.

*SLOW CLAPS* Completely agree!!
Nov 12, 2013 3:35 PM

Apr 2011
Good job!
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Nov 12, 2013 4:43 PM

Sep 2011
ThatGuyYeah said:
They aren't even blood related. She became his sister 1 year prior.
We're more likely to get a decent ending now, but I've lost a lot of interest.

LOL, with the same premise or with the fact that she isn't a true imouto?

symbv said:
scytheavatar said:
It is actually one reason often mentioned by otaku about why they prefer 2D girls than 3D ones. I can really see their point.

Right, it may do(that depends on how they treat the waifus, of course)

One thing is for sure, these kinds of people who treat characters as real are in real life. I have no idea of the individual events that they experienced that led them to this, but I have a few problems with it:
While the idea of a waifu, someone who will never betray you, sound appealing, it does not physically exist. I can go into this deeper, but the idea of why that's a problem is pretty evident.

Second is the social stigma. I mean, if it's unveiled to others, you're in pretty big trouble unless your social circle is accepting of your belief.

GodlyKyonNov 12, 2013 4:48 PM
Nov 12, 2013 7:21 PM

Sep 2012
GodlyKyon said:

While the idea of a waifu, someone who will never betray you, sound appealing, it does not physically exist. I can go into this deeper, but the idea of why that's a problem is pretty evident.
Actually most people know they don't physically exist. But I don't really see much of problem coming out of it as long as they can tell reality from fantasy.
GodlyKyon said:

Second is the social stigma. I mean, if it's unveiled to others, you're in pretty big trouble unless your social circle is accepting of your belief.
Well, if even being an anime fan after a certain age is already a social stigma and not supposed to be disclosed, I would say that having a waifu is even less of a problem given the task of hiding their anime hobby first and foremost.
symbvNov 12, 2013 7:51 PM

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Voice Actress Mai Fuchigami Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - 8 hours ago

3 by GalacticMagna »»
4 hours ago

» 'Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan' Reveals Supporting Cast, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - May 27

10 by thebrentinator24 »»
6 hours ago

» 'Zegapain: STA' Unveils Additional Cast, Staff, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 10 hours ago

3 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Unveils Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by tsubasalover »»
11 hours ago

» 'Tasuuketsu' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 11:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.