Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 5, 2019 2:17 AM
Jul 2014
I got question isn't brown original Koemushi using same voice as Monokuma from Danganronpa? I cant find the original Koemushi in supporting cast so I thought I would ask.

Feb 28, 2019 9:13 AM
Jul 2018
I admit, I cried. :(
Tbh the overall story wasn't so important to me and so I'm okay that they are more earths and a never ending battle. Maybe it's a little bit disappointing, but I'm more interested in people's life stories anyway. All of them were very moving and compelling. Also they weren't so black and white and even unlikeable characters had more to them.
Really liked the conclusion that everyone in the end is fighting for what's important to them personally and they fought for themselves.

8-9/10, decide it later.
I'm glad it wasn't only about mecha fights lol
Jul 24, 2020 12:28 PM

May 2009
Read a bit of the comments in the other pages.
Man. People were NOT happy about this anime.
However I think it was really close to being a masterpiece.
Might pick up the manga.
9/10
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Aug 25, 2020 7:40 AM

Jan 2018
im actually pretty surpriced how positive people see this nime .

i think its hart to rate because it has many really good aspects ( mostly from the source )
but it also makes a lot of changes that lead to innumerable plotholes and plot lines that dont go anywhere yet nobody mentions that .

there are also many aspects that really come out of nowhere and seem really weird .

kokopelli not saving his child because ? just to show KyuuBear that he was wrong ?

Ushiro taking a nap when given the perfect opportunity to end the battle because ??
why did the other robot stop to beginn with ?

there are also so many questions unanswered.

im not done with the manga yet but so far all of the many scenes that have issues like that in the anime are resolved in other ways in the manga .

so idk .
i feel very mixed on this .

its a good story . but the anime isnt a good adaptations of the story.
even so i cant really rate it poorly becuse it did many things well .

im just gonna end up saying its okay but not weird
Dec 31, 2020 8:32 PM

Dec 2015
A flawed masterpiece. I would give it a 10 but people say manga is better, so 9/10 for now and I'll leave the final decision for later.
Jan 16, 2021 2:29 AM
Apr 2016
This show isn't about giant robots, it's about the lives of those children — that's what the show focuses on, exploring their lives and psychologies. A lot were dull in my opinion, but some were very interesting — Chizuru's case is a good example of the latter, as it dissects pedophilia, predation, and manipulation in a meticulous but mature way. In general, this show encapsulates a lot of psychology stereotypes in a simplistic but good way — from psychopathy to sociopathy. Enjoyed this show a ton in spite of it being somewhat hard to swallow; made me take a while to finish it, though.

I'm actually very happy they didn't try to explain or make our gang special and "end" this whole system, it leaves room for interpretation and subsequently makes it all seem very grand. For one, is it some sort of omnipotent creature akin to "God"? Or is it some civilization that is just so advanced that it can freely control everything at this point? I have no answers, and that's what I love so much about it! It's realistic in what it set up, we've been served exactly what every single winning Earth was served. People seem to call that "flawed," but I don't agree whatsoever — it all seems intentional to me, trying to explain it further would've ruined the mystery for me (just don't think it needs to be explained).

Giving it an 8.5/10, but it had the potential to be a 9.
Feb 2, 2021 7:30 AM
Feb 2016
That was a shit ending. I wouldn't want them to have them defeat the masterminds,but they got have at least gotten a mention instead of being relegated to the background. The zearth info is still out there which means someone could start it up and create another catastrophe.
Mar 5, 2021 1:06 AM

Mar 2016
This was really good. However, they had hinted at the existence of some masterminds, so they were supposed to build on that. Yet, they did nothing with it, which was kind of dissatisfying. As a result, the anime ended up looking like it's a slice of life about kids dying. I wanted to give it an 8/10, but I gave it a 7/10. This was still very good.

I looked up the story, and it seems the anime ended before the manga, and has an original ending.
Mar 15, 2021 1:51 AM
Mar 2020
It's a shame that this ended. Kinda bummed that they didn't answer any questions though or dived deeper into who the masterminds were. I wish that they also dived more into Kanjis's mom and her research, despite being an annoying character. Overall a really intriguing show and enjoyed every minute.
May 4, 2021 6:31 PM
Dec 2018
Good anime. There's a ton of shocking plot twist caught me off guard. I still never like Ushiro until the end but I'm glad Kana is alive. There are still a lot of questions left unsolved, like who are those masterminds of the game. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed watching every episode.
8/10
Jun 3, 2021 8:10 PM
Jun 2020
Was a very special show right here. I really enjoyed my time watching this series, and I appreciated this show for its psychological themes it tackled in a realistic way and it’s amazing character writing. The plot was so unique and clever and mind-bending however the story and story direction could have been better but for its qualities like the character depths and overall writing made this show close to a masterpiece for me. I didn’t mind the supposed “loose ends” or “unanswered questions” which I quote because I did feel the author intended for this to be a story about its character without much significance for its world building. The fact that the author provided potentialfor world building and a much grander story but stuck with a more character driven storyline is fine with me because that’s what it seemed to be directed to all along

I expected a lack of answers in that department but I have no other qualms with the show, and I’m fine with the ending. I’m going to miss bokurano but I really appreciate this show for what it’s worth, easy 9/10 for me
Aug 24, 2021 12:33 AM

Sep 2018
It does feel like a bit of a cop out, that ending. Many questions left unanswered. Though I don't really seem to care, I guess it's how take such an ending in stride. A good character driven story and one of the few mecha anime I really enjoyed. Brilliant twist half way through the anime. 8/10.
Aug 30, 2021 11:50 AM
Jul 2017
Well, I was okay with the plot not revealing about the creators or whatever, what bugged me the most was no closure to the families who lost their children. Like after every episode, the character dies and it's like they don't even exist anymore, no one mentions about them or no catch-up on their families as to how they are recuperating from loss. Only the last episode was like a recap of fast-forwarded scenes, very bland.
The kids were not even given any honorary status by the country. Like no one knew who fought, how they were survived by their families etc. And the worst, the pedophile/rapist gets away with the victim's sister? Are you kidding me? That was a very bad message to portray by the author of manga/ anime production. etc

Overall okayish anime, could've been better.
Oct 11, 2021 10:44 PM

Jul 2016
well...

it was a 10 for me, and i thought it'd stay a 10 (i'll put it as a 9 now)

i'd say 7/10ths of the anime was a masterpiece, i really liked it. but as it approached the end, it started giving me dissatisfaction and i wouldn't say the ending is "good". it's "enough" but if it was me, i would have wanted a different ending. exploring the whole system after ushiro won, something more grand, with the people from another planet (the glowing whatever council) or the black koemushi type of creature discussing what happened in the case with zearth, an insinuation of what will happen next or foreshadowing since now we know that this is more than just robots fighting other alien robots, dead pilots' family closures (only daichi's and jun's?), government crap... i don't know. the open ending wasn't moving at all. i'd have to read bokurano, since a director disliking the source material and altering it in the adaptation is never brilliant news to me. not that i am not aware that it happens and sometimes for the better, but still... strange. i did unintentionally spoil myself and ushiro's role in the manga, while just as important, is excitingly much different. anyways, it ended with all of the kids dying and kana living without signing the contract per the original ambition. best deaths go to daichi, kirie, takami, and maki. daichi = clean and valiant. kirie = BAMF, expert, went out with a bang. takami = prayer beam. maki = opened up the cockpit.
Nov 18, 2021 1:54 PM

Nov 2015
Picked up Bokurano after listening to the Trash Taste podcast. Glad I did. It was a mature and painfull series to watch sometimes. I could only watch 1 episode each day.

Overall, I liked it even though we do not get all the answers. Just wondering if the ending assumes Kana did win her fight or did she not fight at all?

8/10
Dec 18, 2021 7:10 PM
Dec 2021
Admiral_Carapils said:
Picked up Bokurano after listening to the Trash Taste podcast. Glad I did. It was a mature and painfull series to watch sometimes. I could only watch 1 episode each day.

Overall, I liked it even though we do not get all the answers. Just wondering if the ending assumes Kana did win her fight or did she not fight at all?

8/10

For the anime, Kana doesn’t fight. After Jun’s fight, Zearth falling to pieces shows that it’s fights are over and this version of Earth is safe. Kana is shown in the epilogue which is supposed to take place a couple years after the last battle.

There’s large deviations from the manga including the ending and the fate of some characters. I don’t want to spoil it, so you can search out the manga if you like.
Dec 18, 2021 11:55 PM

Nov 2015
jetsetgo said:
Admiral_Carapils said:

8/10

For the anime, Kana doesn’t fight. After Jun’s fight, Zearth falling to pieces shows that it’s fights are over and this version of Earth is safe. Kana is shown in the epilogue which is supposed to take place a couple years after the last battle.

There’s large deviations from the manga including the ending and the fate of some characters. I don’t want to spoil it, so you can search out the manga if you like.

Thanks for the reply! I looked up the manga and indeed there are a lot of differences. I Feel the manga is even more sci-fi.
Oct 10, 2022 3:57 PM

Sep 2013
It was like a 7 to me, besides the unaswered questions, It always bothered me that the series take the time to tell each kids back story and show their families and at the end they always just changed the page because we have to kill the next kid and we never see any of those peolple again. I don't know it felt kind of uncompleted and detached to the story.

I liked that in the final chapter kana meet daiichi's brothers and they have to accept their deaths but for almost every other character there was nothing.
Nov 13, 2022 3:35 PM

Sep 2014
That was a lame ending for a promising show..
All that political scheming and teasing of some benefectors of the multiverse and it amounted to nothing.

Kinda funny how they just stopped wearing the uniforms halfway through as well, shows how little the story actually cares about past characters.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jul 10, 2023 6:14 AM

Jul 2015
Although we didn't get any real answers at the end on the masterminds or really saw the aftermath of their death more (although I honestly only cared for a few of them), quite the interesting psychological premise on multiverse mecha fight to the death and showcase of the children's struggles.

Aug 6, 2023 12:30 PM

Dec 2022
An okay anime. The episodic backstories were generally pretty interesting, as were the unique gimmicks of each mecha that was fought. The revelations and plot twists felt like reasonable explanations for questions the viewer could be asking about the narrative behind everything, and Koyemshi was a charismatic presence.

On the other hand, shallow characterisation and interactions, along with expanding universe that had no real implications meant that it failed to emotionally invest me at all. It escalated the story with increasing involvement of third parties in the second half, but they ended up being tantamount to screentime fodder. The mecha fights were also hilariously one-sided, and devoid of any tension or risk due to the Zearth being vastly more powerful than any of the mechs it fought. Even if it did manage to get a limb destroyed, it would be right back by the time the next episode rolled around. The soundtrack and animation were barely memorable either, with the visuals in particular being dated even for the year it was released.

Shaded Horizon

Oct 3, 2023 9:51 AM
Apr 2020
one of the easy best story telling animes of all time.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 16 Discussion

tainteddonut - Sep 9, 2007

33 by Crispydang »»
Mar 30, 2:44 AM

» Bokurano Director Dislikes The Manga

tainteddonut - Jun 14, 2007

10 by trampler8324 »»
Sep 27, 2023 2:30 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 23 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

33 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 11:09 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 20 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 3, 2007

28 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:44 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 19 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 3, 2007

33 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 5, 2023 5:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.