Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (15) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Feb 15, 2013 8:13 PM

Dec 2012
r1322 said:
i never cared for toonami in the first place

Then why are you posting here in the first place?
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Feb 15, 2013 8:13 PM
Jul 2018
So, anyone looking forward to Soul Eater tomorrow?
r1322 said:

Any particular reason why? Any issues with it you can mention?
Feb 15, 2013 8:14 PM
Jul 2018
Jovoo said:
r1322 said:

Then why are you posting here in the first place?

It's all right. This is a place to discuss Toonami. If someone has a problem with it, it's ok for them to express their displeasure with it.
Feb 15, 2013 9:02 PM

Oct 2012
Battlechili1 said:
r1322 said:

Any particular reason why? Any issues with it you can mention?

i never had cable back then so i never watched toonami or cared about it
RRRRRRRRRR
Feb 15, 2013 9:23 PM
Sep 2009
Battlechili1 said:

Yes, although I already watched the show once before.

Well, Toonami has a special place in my heart because it was what introduced me to anime, and I'm sure that is true for a lot of anime fans in the U.S.
The thing I remember the most is their 'Month of Miyazaki' which aired Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

I do watch the new Toonami now, mostly because it makes me nostalgic, even if I'm watching a show for the first time; such was the case for Deadman Wonderland, Casshern Sins, and Samurai 7. I'm happy it is back, it is nice to watch anime on a TV once in a while, rather than on a computer screen all the time. However, I'm disappointed that it airs so late at night because it limits the ability to attract new fans, which would be the main benefit of airing anime on TV, seeing as anime is so accessible to fans on the internet.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Feb 16, 2013 10:36 AM

Apr 2012
judojon said:
Battlechili1 said:

Yes, although I already watched the show once before.

Well, Toonami has a special place in my heart because it was what introduced me to anime, and I'm sure that is true for a lot of anime fans in the U.S.
The thing I remember the most is their 'Month of Miyazaki' which aired Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

I do watch the new Toonami now, mostly because it makes me nostalgic, even if I'm watching a show for the first time; such was the case for Deadman Wonderland, Casshern Sins, and Samurai 7. I'm happy it is back, it is nice to watch anime on a TV once in a while, rather than on a computer screen all the time. However, I'm disappointed that it airs so late at night because it limits the ability to attract new fans, which would be the main benefit of airing anime on TV, seeing as anime is so accessible to fans on the internet.

Same here for me. And I remember that "Month of Miyazaki" too! Those movies were awesome. Princess Mononoke was the best though.
Feb 16, 2013 3:21 PM
Jul 2012
dead leaves needs to be on there jist because
Feb 16, 2013 4:35 PM

Sep 2009
I loved toonami but I remember watching it when it had the villain from space ghost "hosting" it. Makes me remember about all those old program blocks I use to watch like USA's anime block on the weekend, scifi's block and showtimes anime blocks, anime unleashed on tech tv and of course the beginning of adult swim.. man, I feel old, haha
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 16, 2013 7:32 PM
Jul 2018
Cracked_up said:
I loved toonami but I remember watching it when it had the villain from space ghost "hosting" it. Makes me remember about all those old program blocks I use to watch like USA's anime block on the weekend, scifi's block and showtimes anime blocks, anime unleashed on tech tv and of course the beginning of adult swim.. man, I feel old, haha

Wow. I was too young to appreciate most of the time Toonami was around. It's pretty cool that you remember all that. I wish I could see all the old anime on tv. I missed out on some good ones, like Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star, G Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, ect. And I didn't even know about those other anime blocks until later. Sure wish I watched that back then.
GoldenBRS said:

I would love to watch that on tv. I like Gainax shows. Does Dead Leaves have a dub?
Feb 16, 2013 7:32 PM
Jul 2012
Battlechili1 said:
Cracked_up said:

Wow. I was too young to appreciate most of the time Toonami was around. It's pretty cool that you remember all that. I wish I could see all the old anime on tv. I missed out on some good ones, like Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star, G Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, ect. And I didn't even know about those other anime blocks until later. Sure wish I watched that back then.
GoldenBRS said:

I would love to watch that on tv. I like Gainax shows. Does Dead Leaves have a dub?

yes
Feb 16, 2013 7:41 PM

Sep 2009
Battlechili1 said:
Cracked_up said:

GoldenBRS said:

Yea, I remember the other shows on there too, like reboot and thundercats. I'm pretty sure superfriends was either on there too or it was the show before toonami came on.. Good times, good times

With that said, I've never lived in an area that could get the anime network until I got rid of television.. ooh the irony
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2013 3:57 PM

May 2011
Anyone else think the dub for Soul Eater that the chose sucks ass? I remember that when I originally watched it on Netflix the dub was actually pretty good compared to most, and I loved the cast. This one on Toonami is just terrible, and it's petty hard to watch because of it. That is a lot coming from me too because most bad dubs are OK with me. I especially can't stand Black Star, the fuck, I know the VA is a woman but damn it's bad...
*Cringey anime weeb stuff*
Apr 11, 2013 4:06 PM

Dec 2012
FreakyTy said:
Anyone else think the dub for Soul Eater that the chose sucks ass? I remember that when I originally watched it on Netflix the dub was actually pretty good compared to most, and I loved the cast. This one on Toonami is just terrible, and it's petty hard to watch because of it. That is a lot coming from me too because most bad dubs are OK with me. I especially can't stand Black Star, the fuck, I know the VA is a woman but damn it's bad...

Wait wait wait, what? Doesn't the Soul Eater on Toonami have the same dub cast? Did they change it?
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Apr 11, 2013 4:08 PM
Jul 2018
Jovoo said:
FreakyTy said:

Wait wait wait, what? Doesn't the Soul Eater on Toonami have the same dub cast? Did they change it?

There's only one English dub cast that I know of, and it was done by Funimation. Toonami did not change Toonami's English dub cast.
FreakyTy said:

I think the dub is pretty good, but I'd have to agree on Black Star. He's super annoying, and I don't like his voice.
Apr 11, 2013 4:38 PM

Jun 2011
Battlechili1 said:
FreakyTy said:

I think the dub is pretty good, but I'd have to agree on Black Star. He's super annoying, and I don't like his voice.

Black Star was always annoying.
Apr 11, 2013 5:17 PM

Feb 2013
Honestly I wish Toonami hadn't come back, they actually had good anime on it back in the day like Sailor Moon, DBZ, Gundam Wing, Rurouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, and the original Tenchi. I don't know what the current lineup is, but I was pretty disappointed when it first came back I think the lineup was Deadman Wonderland, and Casshern Sins which were terrible and Cowboy Bebop, FMA, and Ghost in the Shell which are all great, but Adult Swim had already been running them over and over for years.
Apr 11, 2013 6:03 PM
Jan 2013
Blackstar in the early episodes isn't really that great. He is voiced by Brittney Karbowski and im guessing it wasn't an easy role for her. Black Star sounded like a chick for like the first 6 or 7 episodes but it got better. The rest of the dub is excellent though.
Apr 11, 2013 6:57 PM
Jul 2018
deadjames said:
Honestly I wish Toonami hadn't come back, they actually had good anime on it back in the day like Sailor Moon, DBZ, Gundam Wing, Rurouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, and the original Tenchi. I don't know what the current lineup is, but I was pretty disappointed when it first came back I think the lineup was Deadman Wonderland, and Casshern Sins which were terrible and Cowboy Bebop, FMA, and Ghost in the Shell which are all great, but Adult Swim had already been running them over and over for years.

Coming back doesn't really hurt anything. It can only get better. Toonami's gotten a lot more money now though. They air, in order, Bleach, Naruto, Soul Eater, Thundercats (2011), Sym-Bionic Titan, Eureka Seven, Tenchi Muyo GXP, FMA:B, FMA:B, Cowboy Bebop, Cowboy Bebop, and Inuyasha, Inuyasha. Or something like that. Also one of the two Cowboy Bebops should be getting replaced by IGPX soon, an old Toonami show. Also, I think they'd like to air Gundam, but they can't since Bandai's sort of out of business in America. However, I get the feeling that Gurren Lagann will be airing on there soon since Aniplex has gotten a hold of it. Finally, One Piece will soon start airing on Toonami as well. In other news, the current TOM, TOM 3.5, will soon upgrade to a new TOM 5.0 soon. Toonami has a lot more money now and its improving too.
Apr 11, 2013 7:02 PM

Mar 2013
the problem about toonami is that cartoon network doesnt even want it to be on their channel they did it because of the amount of people who wanted it back after a april fools joke that they did where they brought toonami back for one night. if you ask me they are just looking for an excuse to cancel toonami which is a real shame because the more anime that is aired on tv the more popular it will get in the west which will have a huge impact on the industry especially since anime companies dont make that much money outside of japan because of a very high piracy rate and lack of interest.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Apr 11, 2013 7:07 PM
Jul 2018
mattbenz99 said:
the problem about toonami is that cartoon network doesnt even want it to be on their channel they did it because of the amount of people who wanted it back after a april fools joke that they did where they brought toonami back for one night. if you ask me they are just looking for an excuse to cancel toonami which is a real shame because the more anime that is aired on tv the more popular it will get in the west which will have a huge impact on the industry especially since anime companies dont make that much money outside of japan because of a very high piracy rate and lack of interest.

Toonami is aired by Adult Swim though. They have an official Tumblr specifically for Toonami, and it seems that the people working on Toonami are doing it for free. Adult Swim already aired anime at night. They just were WAY more sluggish about airing new anime. They also rarely advertised the anime and didn't really have any cool special style like Toonami had. The guys working on Toonami seem passionate about it and didn't seem to honestly think people really cared all that much about Toonami before the April Fools joke last year. The joke showed them how important and how much it really meant to them. Adult Swim does seem to really care too. Ratings for their anime after Toonami's return seem to have improved.
Apr 11, 2013 7:07 PM
Jul 2012
mattbenz99 said:

This though even the shows sucky now, but at least they still back and better than no anime
Apr 11, 2013 7:08 PM
Jul 2012
FreakyTy said:

Sub>dub lol
Apr 11, 2013 7:18 PM

Jun 2012
GoldenBRS said:

Sub>dub lol

Sub is (almost)always superior.
Apr 11, 2013 7:29 PM

Feb 2013
Battlechili1 said:
deadjames said:

Coming back doesn't really hurt anything. It can only get better. Toonami's gotten a lot more money now though. They air, in order, Bleach, Naruto, Soul Eater, Thundercats (2011), Sym-Bionic Titan, Eureka Seven, Tenchi Muyo GXP, FMA:B, FMA:B, Cowboy Bebop, Cowboy Bebop, and Inuyasha, Inuyasha. Or something like that. Also one of the two Cowboy Bebops should be getting replaced by IGPX soon, an old Toonami show. Also, I think they'd like to air Gundam, but they can't since Bandai's sort of out of business in America. However, I get the feeling that Gurren Lagann will be airing on there soon since Aniplex has gotten a hold of it. Finally, One Piece will soon start airing on Toonami as well. In other news, the current TOM, TOM 3.5, will soon upgrade to a new TOM 5.0 soon. Toonami has a lot more money now and its improving too.
Well again most of those have either already been on Adult Swim (Eureka Seven and Inuyasha) or aren't very good (Bleach, Naruto, Thundercats, Sym-Bionic Titan, One Piece). Soul Eater is pretty good, but it's also something I've already seen, I haven't seen Tenchi Muyo GXP, but I'm generally not a fan of reboots. It's not that I have a problem with it being back, but I wish they would actually give me a reason to be excited about it, I mean why the hell should I watch Toonami when I have the FUNimation channel?
Apr 11, 2013 7:37 PM

Feb 2010
I'm not really interested in anything that's airing on Toonami right now. I prefer to watch my Anime online.

Apr 11, 2013 8:18 PM
Jul 2018
I think it would be sick for Funimation to have it's on cable channel just airing anime 24/7
They could air all the mainstream anime during prime time.. and then the good.
Apr 11, 2013 8:36 PM
Jul 2018
deadjames said:

Well again most of those have either already been on Adult Swim (Eureka Seven and Inuyasha) or aren't very good (Bleach, Naruto, Thundercats, Sym-Bionic Titan, One Piece). Soul Eater is pretty good, but it's also something I've already seen, I haven't seen Tenchi Muyo GXP, but I'm generally not a fan of reboots. It's not that I have a problem with it being back, but I wish they would actually give me a reason to be excited about it, I mean why the hell should I watch Toonami when I have the FUNimation channel?
Sym Bionic Titan bad? I'd have to at least disagree there. Sym-Bionic Titan had brilliant animation and a great storyline. It just wasn't able to finish. Also, the Funimation Channel is actually a very hard to get channel. Some of the big networks like Dish don't carry it.
Tenchi Muyo GXP isn't a reboot actually. It's a spinoff. And an awful one at that. ._.
Apr 11, 2013 11:13 PM

Jan 2008
Toonami is a great "door way" for people to get into anime, period.

Apr 11, 2013 11:27 PM

Apr 2012
It's dumb that they are pulling back The Big 3 to Toonami when in reality those are what killed Toonami in the first place.
Apr 11, 2013 11:30 PM

Jan 2008
free online streaming killed toonami...

Apr 12, 2013 3:11 AM
Jul 2018
Durbikins said:
It's dumb that they are pulling back The Big 3 to Toonami when in reality those are what killed Toonami in the first place.

That's not what killed Toonami. If anything, currently the big 3 are bringing in Toonami's ratings. Really, back in the day Cartoon Network wasn't handling Toonami well to where the only show people liked on it was Naruto, and then it went into a long filler arc and was allowed to basically die. Naruto alone didn't kill Toonami. CN doing nothing with Toonami is what helped kill it.
Synrite said:
free online streaming killed toonami...

Well, its certainly not good for Toonami, unless the streaming is of Toonami's official website.
Apr 12, 2013 3:28 AM

Apr 2012
sub>dub

my opinion is objectively superior. trololo

also inuyasha is a loser anime

Apr 12, 2013 3:36 AM
Jul 2018
Zeally said:
sub>dub

my opinion is objectively superior. trololo

also inuyasha is a loser anime

Considering Inuyasha isn't on your anime list from what I can tell, I can assume you might have never seen it. As such, you cannot make such a claim. Also, the way I see it dub is fine. If it sticks to the storyline, why would it matter?
Synrite said:
Toonami is a great "door way" for people to get into anime, period.

Yep. It's also good for just anime watchers who haven't seen a lot of the big anime.
Apr 12, 2013 12:00 PM
Jan 2013
Toonami wasn't really killed by anything, the people who were working on it decided to move on to other projects.
Apr 12, 2013 12:13 PM

Oct 2012
Toonami is nice in it's own way. People who complain about dubs can go simply not watch it. It's a nice treat to watch sometimes considering most the shows on TV now are kinda trash. Subs>dubs for sure but I mean it's still very nice to watch it once a week.
Apr 12, 2013 1:52 PM
Jul 2018
Mortorrounds said:
Toonami is nice in it's own way. People who complain about dubs can go simply not watch it. It's a nice treat to watch sometimes considering most the shows on TV now are kinda trash. Subs>dubs for sure but I mean it's still very nice to watch it once a week.

I like your attitude. And I'd have to agree for the most part.

Speaking of Toonami, the lineup for the newest version of Toonami that starts on April 27 has been announced:
APRIL 27TH LINE UP - TOM 5 IS COMING!
12:00 – Bleach

12:30 – (Uncut) Naruto

01:00 – Soul Eater

01:30 – Thundercats

02:00 – IGPX (RETURNS!!!!)
02:30 – Eureka
03:00 – Tenchi
 Muyo GXP
03:30 – Symbionic Titan
04:00 – Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
04:30 – Cowboy Bebop

05:00 – Inuyasha

05:30 – Inuyasha

Glad that IGPX is taking up Bebop space, but I'm sad to see Thundercats reruns so high and Symbionic Titan so low. I think Symbionic Titan is better. And Tenchi Muyo GXP has never even aired before on Adult Swim. Shouldn't it be higher than shows that are pretty much reruns?
*grumble**grumble*
Still happy about this overall though.

EDIT: By newest version I meant the whole TOM 5 upgrade thing and a new Absolution and such.
Apr 12, 2013 1:56 PM
Jul 2012
MEanimaniac1 said:
GoldenBRS said:

Sub>dub lol

True to some shows that has perfect dub too.
Apr 12, 2013 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
One Piece's official date for airing on Toonami has been announced. May 18 One Piece will begin airing. It will begin airing from episode 207, and the time it will air will be at 1:00 AM, with Soul Eater being moved to 1:30 AM.
Apr 12, 2013 2:15 PM
Jul 2012
meh that sucks
Apr 12, 2013 2:18 PM

Aug 2012
Soul Eater.. that's a pretty good choice. And I hope toonami isn't going to use 4kids version of one piece..
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Apr 12, 2013 2:21 PM
Jul 2018
Ghostony said:
Soul Eater.. that's a pretty good choice. And I hope toonami isn't going to use 4kids version of one piece..

Most likely not. Funimation is promoting this and the Adult Swim guys aren't dumb enough to air the 4kids dub.
Apr 12, 2013 2:47 PM

Nov 2010
Ghostony said:
No they can't, he said they are starting on episode 207. 4kids only got to 150 IIRC before getting cancelled.

Battlechili1 said:
One Piece's official date for airing on Toonami has been announced. May 18 One Piece will begin airing. It will begin airing from episode 207, and the time it will air will be at 1:00 AM, with Soul Eater being moved to 1:30 AM.
And that is very stupid, Funimation only has up to around 360 episodes out.
Apr 12, 2013 3:57 PM

Oct 2010
Meh. I would have watched One Piece if they were starting from the beginning.
Apr 12, 2013 4:11 PM
Jul 2018
IntroverTurtle said:
Ghostony said:
No they can't, he said they are starting on episode 207. 4kids only got to 150 IIRC before getting cancelled.

Battlechili1 said:
And that is very stupid, Funimation only has up to around 360 episodes out.

Yeah, but they are airing one episode a week, so they'll take forever to get as far as Funimation is now and they'll probably have plenty more dubbed episodes by them anyway.
Megaton said:
Meh. I would have watched One Piece if they were starting from the beginning.

I agree, but they did air some of One Piece years ago plus it is a very very long series. They did say they are going to try and recap everything for people in Toonami's videos, and the series up to that point is on Funimation's website as well.
Apr 12, 2013 5:00 PM

Oct 2010
They should have started from the beginning, airing 2 eps a week. As much as I love Cowboy Bebop, we don't need 2 eps every week for a series that has been replayed hundreds of times over the years. Same goes for Inuyasha's 2 eps, although I really don't like that series anyway.
Apr 13, 2013 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
Megaton said:
They should have started from the beginning, airing 2 eps a week. As much as I love Cowboy Bebop, we don't need 2 eps every week for a series that has been replayed hundreds of times over the years. Same goes for Inuyasha's 2 eps, although I really don't like that series anyway.

I think they said that its too expensive to air two episodes a week for some shows since they pay everytime an episode airs. Apparently that'd be too expensive for One Piece.
They did once air One Piece long ago for quite a lot of episodes, too, though they did that with Naruto and yet there it is.....
Cowboy Bebop's actually going to start airing only one episode instead of two so that IGPX can air.
While I'd love to watch shows, even One Piece, from episode 1, because its a longrunning anime and probably doesn't have a huge focus on story anyway it might still be ok to jump right in.
Apr 13, 2013 5:19 PM

Mar 2013
MEanimaniac1 said:
GoldenBRS said:

Sub>dub lol

not unless you speak Japanese. if you speak japanese you can tell the difference but if you dont then you are srt of relying on your imagination mixed with the subs and some visuals. japanese and english are such different languages that you cant even properly compare them. i mean most animes unless you speak both languages are actually sound the same in therms of quality. especially since a lot of times the japanese creators are asked for their opinion on who to voice a character. the only downside being that there arent that many english voice actors.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Apr 13, 2013 5:21 PM

Oct 2012
mattbenz99 said:
MEanimaniac1 said:
GoldenBRS said:

Sub>dub lol

not unless you speak Japanese. if you speak japanese you can tell the difference but if you dont then you are srt of relying on your imagination mixed with the subs and some visuals. japanese and english are such different languages that you cant even properly compare them. i mean most animes unless you speak both languages are actually sound the same in therms of quality. especially since a lot of times the japanese creators are asked for their opinion on who to voice a character. the only downside being that there arent that many english voice actors.

I doubt Japanese people bother with subs to begin with....*raw*

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Apr 13, 2013 5:22 PM

Mar 2013
Battlechili1 said:
mattbenz99 said:

Toonami is aired by Adult Swim though. They have an official Tumblr specifically for Toonami, and it seems that the people working on Toonami are doing it for free. Adult Swim already aired anime at night. They just were WAY more sluggish about airing new anime. They also rarely advertised the anime and didn't really have any cool special style like Toonami had. The guys working on Toonami seem passionate about it and didn't seem to honestly think people really cared all that much about Toonami before the April Fools joke last year. The joke showed them how important and how much it really meant to them. Adult Swim does seem to really care too. Ratings for their anime after Toonami's return seem to have improved.

no i wasnt talking about the people working in toonami and adult swim i was talking about the people on top the guys. anime is not that big of a money maker anymore since the internet took away 90% of tvs business so the companies as a whole can make more money and have more views with some other shows.

Apr 13, 2013 5:28 PM

Mar 2013
Tavor said:
mattbenz99 said:
MEanimaniac1 said:
GoldenBRS said:

Sub>dub lol

I doubt Japanese people bother with subs to begin with....*raw*

i know but you mist my point i said that unless you actually speak Japanese you wont notice a difference between a good English dub vs a good Japanese dub.

Pages (15) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Popular and acclaimed anime that you do not understand the hype of?

Semester1 - 2 hours ago

9 by Semester1 »»
16 minutes ago

» Have you ever started a new hobby or activity because of anime?

Lhundrup - Yesterday

27 by LoveYourSmile »»
29 minutes ago

» What's the biggest outlier in your favorite series or character list?

TheBlockernator - Yesterday

20 by Ratris_Decision »»
38 minutes ago

» Why are prudes trying to censor anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 5 hours ago

30 by Dauphine »»
42 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

99 by Gashadokur0 »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.