Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 17, 2011 1:09 AM

Jan 2011
seems cool but i really hate this era mainly when it's done for animes,
but i love dem eyes!.
Jul 17, 2011 1:44 AM

Jan 2010
Anyone else disturbed by Dalian's OVERLY pale skin?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2011 3:35 AM

Sep 2008
Aw man. I was worried I'd be in for a wait after gosick before I could next get my 19th century fixins.

Huey is a complete jackass for carrying an open flame in a library. He acts like he knows about books but shame on you Huey. You do not carry an open flame in what essentially equates to a mountain of kindling as far as burning is concerned. Like fucking rule #1. What was he high or something?

The rest of the episode he was pretty awesome. He's all like "Imma pilot" and he carries a revolver (goddamn I love revolvers. In the modern settings its' all about the clips). He has a grounding in reality and a healthy skepticism, but is also completely willing to accept the supernatural. None of this "That ghost in front of me totes isn't real" bunk. Plus he's a Victorian era gentleman, which is like the best kind of gentleman.

And it's all about the power of knowledge. Gots to give props to that. I mean, it's a little bit silly that simply learning has the ability to completely incinerate a dragon, but whatevs. Unless we're working under flight of the dragons rules here, and the book constituted an explanation for why a dragon couldn't scientifically exist, but that wasn't really explained so I'm left to assume that this is a "Knowledge is magic" type scenario. Like beating evil with the power of friendship or love or general goodness, except now it's knowledge. We're probably gonna see a lot of knowledge trumping everything.

Dalia's cool. Holding out judgement for her, but thus far she's alright.
Jul 17, 2011 3:47 AM

Jun 2011
Loving it so far. Huey seems more reliable than Kujo ever was.
The ED, however, was really creepy (笑) and didn't seem to fit with the anime.

5/5
El Psy Congroo
Jul 17, 2011 4:19 AM

Jun 2009
Quite boring. :/ It was rather good until Huey started with that book reading. Those scenes seemed a lot like real photos but Huey with his speech almost made me to skip till he's done with speaking. Ending looked creepy but song itself didn't leave any impressions.
Jul 17, 2011 5:56 AM

Jan 2009
The art is nice. Despite backgrounds looking like blurred photographs.
I always approve of Sawashiro Miyuki, though she's got a slightly too high pitch this time. Or at least that's what I think.
And OnoD fits the role.

Lastly, thanks to the addition of the fantasy element, this at least won't fail due to fail "mysteries" or anything of the sort.
Unless they pull something Umineko-ish all over the place later.
Speaking of which, golden butterflies everywhar. ( ¬‿¬)
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 17, 2011 6:48 AM

Apr 2010
I waited a while for this and i think it's a bit of a disappointment compared to the manga Dalian looked allot better in it and allot more emotionless.
The story was also a bit different from the manga.
Jul 17, 2011 7:16 AM

Jun 2010
Compared to the manga, the first episode was totally different.

Anyways, it was a little boring, let's hope it won't be generic much. The ending theme was quite good though.
Jul 17, 2011 7:48 AM

Jun 2009
another gosick'ish thing anime. *sigh* i'll give it another ep if i should drop or not :/

Jul 17, 2011 10:25 AM
Mar 2011
the change in character design from the novel/manga was definitely a conscious decision. Possibly due to over resemblance to the heroine in gosick.
Jul 17, 2011 10:47 AM

May 2011
I was really looking foward to this anime but I guess my expectation was too high. It was a little disappointing. Guess it just wasn't what I had imagined it would be.
Found it a little boring but it is still pretty interesting so I am going to keep watching to see where it goes.
ED was creepy..
Jul 17, 2011 3:39 PM

Oct 2010
that was interesting, i hope it becomes more action, and less mystery because i think it will go better that way, i am interested to what is in store for us watchers next week, some thing about fetuses, hmmmm.
Jul 17, 2011 4:25 PM

Feb 2009
Maybe I am in a bad mood but this season anime are boring to me well except for No. 6
Jul 17, 2011 9:34 PM

Jul 2008
I don't really understand why everyone is calling this a second GOSICK. Huey and Dalian have similarities to Kujo and Victorique, and the era/setting are like eachother too, but the plot is completely different. GOSICK was about mysteries and love and WWII, not demons and forbidden books and reaching into a girl's chest.
Jul 18, 2011 12:28 AM

Apr 2010
YOU GOTTA LOVE THE CREEPY ENDING!
Can't wait for the mp3 :3
Jul 18, 2011 3:23 AM

Aug 2010
my feelings are really strange..
I do love lolita-style and Victorian era, so I knew that this anime would be really nice to watch if we speak about visiual part of it.
I also had really great hopes, because it was my GAINAX, with which I'm really crazy in loooove.

Yes, I saw beautiful lolita-styled outfits. I felt that gloomy and mistique atmosphere of England. There was my favourite OMG-WTF-UNIVERSE-IN-MY-HEAD-IS-FALLING-APART-GAINAX-thing. Not so mind-crushing as in Evangelion or FLCL, but it was, nice and small thing, as if reduced for girls >_<
The plot was rather interesting, but the pacing was too slow. Hugh searching a key in his pockets for about 1-2 minutes..that was something really irritating. That dragon. He was not only very good dragon, as it was mentioned before (btw I think while Hugh was reading that magic book and signing a contract, the time could stop for a while, don't forget it's a demonic power). So, that dragon was moving sooo slowly...

But I can say the beginning was a bit stronger than I expected. Frankly speaking, I thought it would be a typical shoujo story with elements of gothic and romance, as in Kuroshitsuji. But it's GAINAX, I hope it won't fail. Btw, the first episode very othe one of the weakest, compare with first episodes of Madoka)))
And yes, the ending reminded me Madoka. I've noticed that application techinque became very popular in anime. That's a nice thing!
Jul 18, 2011 10:57 AM

Feb 2008
this seems like its going to be a really good series. the whole encantation thing to slay the dragon was a lil more long winded then i would of liked but overall it seems like a good story and the gothic girl is a tsudere which is give or take for me.
Jul 18, 2011 12:45 PM

Jun 2009
Yay for Huey, finally some good male lead. Dalian's also nice.
I remember reading chapter or two of novel thou i don't remember them being like this at all, sure liked the episode. Seems like it's gonna be good stuff.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jul 18, 2011 1:38 PM

Apr 2009
Surprisingly good, to say that I had expected less would be an understatement - as I had expected nothing at all. But lo! It seems that the second best series of this season is here (though it doesn't mean anything, seeing how this season sucks). Finally we have a protag who isn't a donkan (like Gosick's male lead), and a main heroine who doesn't throw fits all the time (like Gosick's Victorique). Why the comparison, you ask? It may be because of that whole library theme that is present in both series - I have this feeling that Dantalian will prove to be better than Gosick at everything except the storyline (and opening songs, perhaps). Speaking of music - the ending is really good.
The only thing that was a bit hard to be stomached by me, was how Huey accepted everything on the spot. I mean, if I was attacked by a knife-throwing clown, who would turn into dust after his death... I would be in need of some smelling salts, really. And he just accepted everything - killed a clown, moved on to a dragon and didn't even blink! It was bloody unrealistic - even if we are talking about an anime where magic books and magical libraries exist.
Apart from this one little thing, the rest was okay, as I've already said.

Sooo, 4/5 for this episode.

Jul 18, 2011 3:24 PM

Sep 2010
Gosick + Shana go! The MC isn't a total loser this time around, so that's definitely a plus. Non-retarded male leads are a rarity these days. Dalian hasn't succeeded in annoying me yet, which is yet another point over Gosick. The only anime this season that hasn't disappointed me yet. I'm hoping for a lot from this one, although it does feel like it's going to devolve into typical shounen fare.
Jul 18, 2011 3:33 PM

Sep 2008
Blackiris said:

The only thing that was a bit hard to be stomached by me, was how Huey accepted everything on the spot. I mean, if I was attacked by a knife-throwing clown, who would turn into dust after his death... I would be in need of some smelling salts, really. And he just accepted everything - killed a clown, moved on to a dragon and didn't even blink! It was bloody unrealistic - even if we are talking about an anime where magic books and magical libraries exist.
Apart from this one little thing, the rest was okay, as I've already said.

I'm of the opposite opinion. Drives me crazy when people continue to throw up a fuss over something they've already seen. How hard is it to accept something once you've born witness to it? I say not at all.

It's the other 90% of shows that make such a huge spectacle out of it that are unrealistic.

Plus factor in the time period, a time when demonism was generally accepted, and it becomes even more feasible. There are dark powers at work in the world. It's known. Even when he spoke against the naivete of fairy tails he didn't deny that there was evil knowledge that would somehow warp the soul and shit.

And he's a Pilot. Early days pilot no less. That took balls. You were heading out into the sky in a rickety bucket of bolts that wouldn't stay afloat without your constant skillful touch. Gauging the winds. Going through a process that at times was more art than science thousands of feet above anything. Not like Piloting today where the plane does a lot of that stuff for you. Like trying to run your computer without that operating system managing all the background shit for you. All manual. A knife thrower, a lion and a firebreathing lizard are small beans compared to what this guy does for a living. He had no cause to blink.

Plus his carrying of the gun seemed to indicate a past that we haven't gone into yet. If he carries a firearm as a "Good luck charm" he might not be entirely unfamiliar with having his life targeted by a hostile enemy.

As far as accepting the library thing goes his fixation with the key seemed to indicate he had some prior knowledge of what it did and was waiting for a moment like this, so that could end up being why he didn't seem to sweat it when it happened. That and he's a gentleman and the girl was clearly a little self-conscious about what had just happened there.
Jul 18, 2011 9:27 PM

Nov 2007
Was I the only one thinking "oh shit where's the creepy clown" during this episode?

lol anyways this seems like it's going to be a good series, I hope it doesn't disapoint.
Jul 19, 2011 4:39 AM

Jun 2008
Very good first episode .. i really liked the OST :3
Jul 19, 2011 5:16 PM
Dec 2007
Intriguing and mysterious fantasy anime with a classy main character and animated by GAINAX. Count me in for now.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 19, 2011 11:55 PM

Feb 2008
quite a promising show...

doesn't look creepy to me... heck, i want to have such a gigantic library! i really like books too, just don't have enough money to buy some... hehe...

and i don't feel anything Gosick-ish at all... Pandora Hearts, maybe...
Jul 20, 2011 5:10 PM

Dec 2009
The ED sequence was a.w.e.s.o.m.e. <333
Jul 20, 2011 5:22 PM

Oct 2009
Sooo...
Huey was inside her in the first episode?.. ups, didn't mean that (well, actually I did)
But seriously, it's going somehow too fast. Too many questions not enough answers.
and ending looks sick, dunno what are they smoking there in GAINAX...
Jul 21, 2011 1:48 AM

Nov 2009
This one was hundred times better than whole Gosick in all ways. Action, art everything is good, storyline....well, for anime it's ok. In other words, it's gonna be a good show.

Jul 21, 2011 4:52 AM

Apr 2010
Ok this is a BAD Gosick and To Aru Majutsu no Index Combo. And I loved both Gosick and To aru Majutsu very much, but this is just BAD. Dropping it at the first episode.
Jul 21, 2011 8:28 AM

Sep 2009
Wow, this show was amazing. I liked it a lot!

Discounting 2-season runners from Spring, this is the most promising of the Summer 2011 anime in my opinion. Looking forward to more.

Jul 21, 2011 4:19 PM

Apr 2009
Dalian does reminds me of Victorique from Gosick but at the very least as of this first episode anyway, I find her less annoying. Also reminds me of Index from Toaru Majutsu no Index, who had access to 103,000 forbidden magical books in her mind, Dalian beat her though with 797,666 more magical books! XD

The 'good' dragon waited patiently for Huey to finish the veeerryy long magical incantation! LOL I found the ED creepy and I didn't particularly dig it too but at least it was different from the usual. Being only 13 episodes and the novel still publishing, here's to hoping we won't get a "Gainax Ending" on the last episode.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 22, 2011 8:17 AM

Mar 2011
I really liked this, looks like it will be a good series. The end song is really creepy O_O
Jul 22, 2011 8:16 PM

Jan 2008
I love the ED! Not bad, but it wasn't anything too great....
Jul 24, 2011 5:35 AM

Sep 2010
pretty nice first episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 25, 2011 3:06 PM
Aug 2008
I know I'm late to the party here, but I just cannot believe that no one has mentioned this yet. They head over to Conrad's house, find him dead, the butler dude gets a fucking knife in the skull and no one mentions it. The ending is all "well I guess I'll have to get some sugar to put on the bread rolls" or whatever when there's two dead bodies in the house behind you, including the butler who got murdered like ten minutes ago!

Geeze I mean Huey should have been all "Look I'd like to trade some light-hearted banter with you about the benefits of sugar and rolls, but somebody has to go inform the appropriate parties that two people were murdered today. Their families would probably like to be informed of the untimely passing of these gentlemen."

Ah shit, who am I kidding? You can't end the first episode on a downer.

[EDIT]: Other than that I didn't have any problems with it for a first episode.
Jul 26, 2011 2:18 AM

Jun 2011
It was in my opinion an interesting episode and I really liked the ending :) Too bad that it is not creepy at al, tho :p
Jul 26, 2011 7:17 AM

Apr 2011
Nice as first episode...
I liked the part when he reads the book, it adds something magic and intense feelings. I think also that Huey's voice really fits to the character, it is quite and strong.

Tsundere - They seem really cute while eating

My mission: Save the world! My weapons: a controller, a bunch of friends and lots of Anime!
Jul 26, 2011 3:07 PM

May 2010
Liking the atmosphere and the main character. Also the part where they don't focus on fanservice like every other show this season.
Jul 27, 2011 4:14 PM

Jul 2011
Turns out Huey's lighter is a real lighter design from Austria called an IMCO, there's only one shop in America that seems to sell it though...

http://www.thunderhawkcollectables.com/

No, I'm not affiliated. I did tell the owner about this, so they can add it to their movie page.
Jul 28, 2011 2:27 AM

Feb 2010
Creepy ED... ._.||
Aug 2, 2011 7:37 AM

May 2010
MorningGlory said:
the dragon is like as if ....it is waiting them to finish conversation and reading books then only attack.What a good dragon = ="

That's what i was thinking.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 10, 2011 5:02 PM

Mar 2008
This reminded me of Spice and Wolf.

Any one else feel that way?
Aug 11, 2011 2:01 AM

May 2010
RamenPizza said:
This reminded me of Spice and Wolf.

Any one else feel that way?

Yeah me. That's the only reason I am even continuing watching it
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 12, 2011 1:14 AM

Oct 2010
Some more thoughts:

Reading was not used to be for everyone. In the early days, only the privilege ones had the opportunity to read. Despite of this fact, not all books were accessible to the public. One example is the promulgation of the Index Librorum Prohibitorum. This was a list of all the prohibited books, mostly based on Arts and Science, which were banned by the Church. Hence, it’s no wonder if Dantalian no Shoka is heavily themed with mythology and some religious references.

Further, one of the most obvious references of this series was the used of the term “Dantalian,” (popularly known as “Dantalion”) it’s described as the demon of knowledge who emits a blue aura and holds a book on his right hand. According to the book of Key to Solomon’s Key, he’s the Duke Great and Mighty appearing in the form of a man with many Countenances, and it’s also said that Dantalion teaches all Arts and Sciences—during the old times, these topics were said to counter the teachings of the Church. So arguably, linking to Arts and Science was the main reason why this series used Paracelsus’ Liber de Nymphis.

Although I have no idea what’s the connection between Paracelsus and the sheol, I believed that one of the grounds why this anime “phantomized” Liber de Nymphis was because during Paracelsus time, his works were largely misinterpreted. His approach to nature which was known for understanding the role elemental spirits was labeled by some as fake medicine. Also, his books on medicine were rampantly regarded as something that’s pertaining to magic, alchemy and occult philosophy. Hence, this justifies why Dalian considered Paracelsus’ Liber de Nymphis as a Phantom Book which was never meant to exist the world.

So, what about the relationship between Paracelsus and the circus? Since Paracelsus, had been regarded as a freak of his time, his book became an ideal candidate to seal the freaks. In addition, the binary thinker in me suggested that it’s a matter of knowledge of nature transcribing to civilization versus wilderness. Further, circus is known for presenting man taming animals. As aforementioned, Paracelsus is celebrated for his elemental beliefs. For him non-humans should be treated well, “although they are beasts, they have all the reason of man, except the soul.”

For sure, these are not the only references used in this anime. I just happened to pick these because they sound nice. Also this time, I’m just going skip summarizing the plot. Pretty much the main idea of this series is, knowledge can be the start of sin. Those who unfittingly hold knowledge will just break down the laws of reason and causality, thus it became Dalian and Huey’s mission to protect the library.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Aug 16, 2011 3:26 AM

Aug 2008
Giving this a try. The story reminds me of Gosick and Index. The animation looks good too.
Aug 23, 2011 8:10 AM

Aug 2008
Heh, the Gosick comparison is appropriate. But while that show seemed to revel in revealing mysteries and tearing down mysticism, this show clears states that anything is possible, with a little demon magic of course.

Overall, not a bad start, though I was starting to wonder if Huey would read the ENTIRE book.

Aug 30, 2011 7:39 AM

Jan 2011
Everything was pretty fine.. until that ED. Personally, I hate it when they bring realism into anime.
Sep 16, 2011 11:47 AM

Apr 2011
I really loved the first episode~ Everything about it, especially the ED. I'm glad I decided to watch it, and I'll definitely see it to the end.
Sep 25, 2011 2:05 AM

Nov 2007
Hmm. This has a lot of potential, and I love the idea that books can be so powerful. It's very ambitious but already I don't think it's paying off. It's a bit rushed in this ep and Huey just accepting everything so easily seems like an oversight. He's all mysterious, though, which I like. How does "just a pilot" dodge knives and shoot a gun like that?

I was a bit confused about what we were seeing when Huey was reading the book. It seemed to be his past mixed up with real life stuff and other things. Also, I have no fucking idea what is going on in the ED.

Hopefully next episode will have tighter writing.
Oct 16, 2011 1:09 AM

Jun 2011
That dragon just sits there waiting Huey to finished reading that extra long text and then just died by a single attack...I expected better from Phantom Books in later episodes.

Huey was a very good main character, good looking, capable of handling the situation with ease and good at handling weapon (by killing that clown and lion in with precision).

Dalian just reminds me of Alice from Pandora Box. Tsundere, loli, have mysterious power that needs the main character to unlock their powers...

Anyway, expected more battles in later episodes.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 30, 2011

109 by NoviSun »»
Jul 11, 2:19 AM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2011

64 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 10 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 16, 2011

45 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 9, 2011

82 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 3:00 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 2, 2011

59 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 1:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.