Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 4, 5:52 PM
May 2017
Very good beginning episode! It covered the basics around Yuuta and Saki. I like how natural and serious the story develops. From perfect strangers to step-siblings to whatever the future will bring, I am in, wishing the best for them.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jul 4, 6:18 PM
Mar 2019
Not sure what to expect here. It does not seem to be following the usual "parent remarries, you now have a step sibling" trope. Or maybe it does. Too early to tell.

“We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams.”
― H.G. Wells, The Time Machine

Jul 4, 6:18 PM
Feb 2023
delta5 said:
So this is what a romance between two emotionally dead people looks like. Not great. These two kids act like they just got back from a war zone and have PTSD or are very heavily medicated. Hopefully the tone and atmosphere will lighten up as things go along.

God yes this is exactly the feels i get from this chapter
Jul 4, 6:22 PM

Apr 2015
I am glad this is nothing like that silly My stepmom's daughter is my ex.

Love the atmosphere and pace.
Jul 4, 6:33 PM

May 2015
I wish it was actually focused more on forming a platonic brother-sister bond, but the genre says romance, so hmm... At least they are taking things slowly, and it doesn't look cringy so far.
Jul 4, 7:05 PM

Feb 2017
It was alright, though the way the story is presented feels kinda odd, at least with the music. It feels more moody and dramatic than is really warranted based on what's going on in the show. Especially in the scene where he was helping her put away her stuff.

The pacing felt a bit slow. And it felt like the characters were too mundane and similar to each other. I wonder if that will change once the characters get pass the awkward stage? I think it would be better if it showed their internal thoughts more, to give more insight into them than what their very mild conversations with each other show.

It feels like the kind of show that people are going to praise as a great drama just because it isn't trashy and is portrayed in a pensive/naturalistic way.
JKKHJul 4, 7:16 PM
Jul 4, 7:29 PM

May 2022
The pace of this show is so slow I half expect it to weed out quite a bit of potential viewers; that is ballsy and impressive. This approach in animation feels somewhat rare, and so I think I will be enjoying every bit of the animation work in this show. I also think the music is nice, and although a bit simplistic it does carry well the expression of the scene.

So I think this one has potential. I will keep my fingers crossed though since the source material for this show is a LN. Fantastic job by Studio Deen.
LordKirkisJul 4, 7:42 PM
Jul 4, 7:49 PM

Jul 2014
I don't think this was what I expected from this show but that was a great first episode.

I liked the tone of the episode and I liked the two leads as well. It's going to be interesting to see how their relationship develops.

Senpai is best girl already. Let's see if that changes later on.

Saki figuring out the light switches at the end was a nice touch, I really liked that.
Jul 4, 8:10 PM

Mar 2020
bored me to death.

Jul 4, 8:11 PM
Nov 2018
Phantom_373 said:
Already feels like a better version of domestic girlfriend

You might be thinking Love Is Indivisible By Twins that's playing this season, that's supposed to be like Domestic Girlfriend.
Jul 4, 10:19 PM

Sep 2022
Holy crap, I'm digging this! The directing, the art style.. I was expecting some serious step-sibling anime trash in the levels of DomeKano but damn.. this is pretty good!

The production looks good, the plot looks like it's very grounded in reality (although it's just the first episode so let's not get too excited.. I hope they stick with it though), and the characters aren't just cardboard cut-outs of pumped cliches and anime stereotypes you'd expect in an anime of this premise.

Kinda surprised it was Studio Deen doing this, considering how... sour their reputation have been in these recent years. But they can actually pull off drama animes pretty damn well, as is the case with Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju.

One of the comments mentioned that it feels like Bunny Girl Senpai without the supernatural aspects and I agree! It's very slow but its very atmospheric, and the story conveys a somber and melancholic feel to it. The two MCs interacting really gives me anxious vibes, like how I imagine it'd feel like moving into a new home with a new step-sibling.

It might be a slow-burn, and maybe our two MCs will end up together. I actually don't mind that as long as it is conveyed properly and realistically. We wouldn't want another DomeKano after all.
Gremlin Eris be like:
Jul 4, 10:35 PM

Nov 2021
That was a beautiful episode ngl.. I'm a big fan of the direction. The background music was really great, it kind of gave a sad vibe and made me feel the same way I do when I watch AoButa.
Jul 4, 11:34 PM
Aug 2021
it has censorship of some of the more raunchy scenes. I will give the show 2 more episodes but if I see any more censorship it is going to be one of the very few anime I will drop this year i have one already confirmed also by Kadokawa ReZero season three is a skip for me due to censorship
Jul 5, 2:26 AM

Sep 2018
That final scene with the light switches was great lol
Jul 5, 2:48 AM

Jul 2024
i feel the pace is too slow and there is significant impact on the 1st episode to make me stay...

guess I'll just let my friend let me know the interest things later... gonna drop it for now
Jul 5, 5:25 AM

Aug 2010
Reply to BioticKhajiit
I feel like its far too slow and dragging out establishign shots or leaving very long gaps between people talking. Even IF this is intentional and by design (which derosnt excuse this btw) it doesnt work to the benefit of the show. It feels rather boring to watch even on 1.25x. Given the high score of the LN Ill continue watching but fuck me did this episode feel dull. It looks nice though.
@BioticKhajiit I agree with you. It did begin pretty slow.
Jul 5, 8:44 AM

Aug 2021
Really loved the pacing in the first episode. Nothing is rushed & no jumping to conclusions. Very Good!
Jul 5, 12:20 PM

Dec 2019
Reply to chibizero81
@BioticKhajiit I agree with you. It did begin pretty slow.
@chibizero81 I like the series but the entire series is pretty slow, especially with some of the later volumes. It's just how the series is.
Jul 5, 2:09 PM
Aug 2023
Man, this was a rough start... not that it was too bad or anything but that their relationship literally starts in the dumpster. That's expected bc they js met ykyk but I'm definitely excited to see the growth of these two gloomy heads.

Ep rating:
7.5/10
Jul 5, 4:05 PM
Oct 2022
Just lol… I’ll never understand why writers want to take 17 year olds and make them act like all used up 35 year olds who’s lives are so unfulfilled that they are miserable. 17 years olds don’t act this way. Never have, never will. Just simply make the characters 35.
Jul 5, 6:10 PM

Dec 2022
Great first episode and music
Jul 5, 7:48 PM
Nov 2023
Gostei do #1 ep. Conseguimos ter um vislumbre de como será abordada a narrativa dessa história. Muito interessante, pretendo continuar assistindo.
Jul 5, 9:16 PM

Mar 2024
This anime is a perfect example of “don’t judge a book by it’s cover”
To be honest, I only started watching this as a joke but it actually surprised me. It’s way different than I expected it to be, I hope people give this anime a chance because it’s definitely not as bad as the title makes it sound like!
ad0rablegoatJul 5, 9:21 PM
Jul 5, 9:28 PM
Dec 2020
for some reason ive found myself really enjoying the music, it has some sort of nostalgic feeling to it? good show but the shots in the scenes along with the music really do it for me
Jul 5, 9:30 PM
Dec 2020
Reply to Noto0803
The music man the music is the true GOAT...

i love it so much... the rest are ok, and Yuki Nakashima as Saki is pretty good.
@Noto0803 right?? glad someone else appreciates the music lol
Jul 6, 5:03 AM

May 2021
first impression was that this felt very relaxing, a weird sense of comfort even and the bgm is really good. elevating especially in silent moments.

interesting faceless long shots and the pace was good too. well directed ep overall.
Jul 6, 10:28 AM

Jul 2023
don't know why everything look so pretentious and that infamous step sis genre. don't think it would be good, it might end as trash....

Jul 6, 10:35 AM

Jun 2016
this is really interesting
Jul 6, 1:26 PM
Mar 2021
We will see where this series goes....not bad, I will continue to watch....
Jul 6, 10:27 PM
Jun 2022
decent though the animation did feel lazy
Jul 7, 3:37 AM
Oct 2019
Ohh boy Step Siblings, spicy stuff.

Wait, Studio Deen is actually Cooking??
But idk how i feel about these tense atmosphere and awkward conversation.

I need a few more episodes to decide how i feel about this Anime.
Jul 7, 4:35 AM
Jan 2023
a good episode but not insane
Jul 7, 9:39 AM

Mar 2018
this adaptation looks to be good; i wonder if the anime will make the characters look less stiff than they were in the LNs. also, i love you fhana.
Jul 7, 10:42 AM

Jul 2023
I first read light novel volume 1 before watching. I expected it to be chill and mature, and that's what I got.

It's Studio Deen so I had low expectations of the animation, but it is pretty good. It's one of those stories where you don't really need fancy animation, but still it is above average.

The music is nice because you feel that perhaps something great is happening even though it is supposed to be mundane. Without these especially timed musical score, this would be boring for most people.

Sometimes I feel it is rimushed, but perhaps I am missing the internal dialogue of Yuta. Speaking of which, his character design is so so, but Ayase's is great.
Jul 7, 10:46 AM

Jul 2023
Reply to IzanaSolos
Ever since DomeKano, the step-sister genre hasn't had the best of reputations, that's for sure. So for a new one to come around there's something that's on everyone's mind. Will this be a wholesome anime? Or will this be another DomeKano...

Right off the bat, you can tell this'll be a different type of show then DomeKano was. I mean the episode starts off with them calling each other strangers in a sense. Saki's character already interests me in many ways. Whether it be that it boils down to her being just the type of person that's not good with new people, or "strangers" as she calls Yuuta, or her past, something is to be delved into and explore in her character.

Her character being a stark contrast from Yuuta's also makes for a rather well dynamic imo. OSTs for this show are also banging btw. That aside, Shiori seems to be a character that is legit just the fans that want something to happen lol. From what little bit of info we got about Saki's past, it does seem like her being basically alone most of the time is what lead to her being like how she is today. So when we do get her full backstory it'll be interesting for sure.

fhána's OP fits the show and isn't that bad of a song. Just nothing to crazy though.

Really strong start. Even though this seems like DomeKano on paper, it couldn't be more different than it.

Looking forward to see Yuuta and Saki grow day-by-day, together.
@IzanaSolos notice that they made an allusion to Domekano by that not blood-relatwd thingy?

This is a counterpoint to Domekano. Although good by itself, I reckon watching this anime after Domekano would be better.

I'm a fan of Domekano btw, and already I am rating this higher than Domekano.
Jul 7, 3:14 PM
Nov 2020
It’s looking very promising and a cut above other step siblings anime. A little more serious.
Jul 8, 9:33 AM
Oct 2019
cool episode, I liked the feeling of them together, I don't want this to become a romance like the others, I want to see how they will help each other and understand each other
Jul 8, 12:12 PM
May 2018
Saki's mom is milf Asuna.
Jul 9, 3:40 AM

Mar 2024
Too boring and too serious (serious in a bad way - the characters are too emotionless, like robots, so its boring to watch).
Boring so much that i couldn't even watch first episode to the end. And thats sad because i like the character design (the gyaru imouto is very cute) and some visual decisions (like that moment in beginning with monochrome and different color lights). Music is not bad too.
But that robot-style dialogues is just 💀
Jul 9, 5:39 AM
Jun 2024
I liked this first ep, let's see the next ones.
Jul 9, 6:48 PM

Feb 2015
Really like the sound design and direction on this so far. Looking forward to more.

Also, was that door CGI at the end? Lmao
Jul 10, 3:39 AM
Nov 2021
pretty decent episode
Jul 10, 7:09 PM
Jul 2024
really good first episode
Jul 11, 7:01 AM
Jan 2024
A sleppy as hell episode
Jul 11, 10:48 AM
Mar 2014
I was expecting so much fanservice yet there was none. I'm pleasently surprised! I loved how dreamy the whole ambience feels like, with the melancholic piano soundtrack and the slow-paced sequences like watching a distant memory play out...
Jul 11, 4:52 PM
Apr 2022
PPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKK
Jul 11, 8:40 PM

Jun 2013
You know, sometimes a slow start is nice. I like the ambience of this show so far.
Jul 13, 10:01 PM
Feb 2024
Already can tell the kind of series this will be. Looking forward to the remainder.
Jul 14, 7:40 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
This was a great first episode for me, I have some things to say bad about the adaptation itself, pace-wise, but outside that, this is Deen for god sake! Something this good coming from them feels like a miracle, this newer director is doing gods work inside that shitty studios.

Music, art design, and directing were solid, again this is only the first episode, so it is early to say, but this episode was well handled.
They are skipping a ton of small dialogue sadly (but the LN has so much, that if they don't, they would only adapt 2 volumes lol), for almost all the scenes, but keeping the minimum required, and honestly, must be a pain in the ass when you have so much dialogue. You don't have enough time and need to cut tons of shit, I wouldn't want to be in the director's shoes. I compared with the LN and they adapted the prologue and chapter 1, so it seemed to me they were going with 3 volumes now, ending at a cliffhanger and then do a 2 cour and adapt up to vol6, that would be the best move (considering they are already cutting so much dialogue).

But from what people that have seen in the leaked ep3, it seems they covered vol1 in these 3 episodes, thus they are aiming for volume 4 instead, so it will be even more rushed, and honestly this is what I expected from the start, just like Otonari, it sucks the pacing is going so fast since I love the dialogue. Still, I give this director a lot of credit because if you don't compare it with the source material, he is doing amazing work when you put things in context.

Advice for people that are REALLY loving the dialogue of this anime, go read the LN, you will get tons more dialogue for each scene that you will like and will add more depth to the characters from that.
Jul 14, 2:01 PM
Apr 2013
EP 1

Uhh. well im not entirely sure what to say about this, let's see

A very low key ep 1. is the whole anime going to be like this?
Its not necessarily that im opposed to it. its more like, the anime is a leetle too calm perhaps?
I mean its about the same, its an introduction. the current dynamic between the two main characters is kinda huh
Not sure what is going on in the op/ed
Im assuming we'll see them in school in ep 2, whats going to happen then? and ep 3?
Nothing too insane happened in ep 1, at the same time its just an introduction

Not sure but it seems either for this ep or as a whole they seem to be aiming for less bright scenes. pretty much the entire thing took place at night time or something

I dont think I would have recognized normally, even though nakashima yuki normally has a very distinctive voice. Either way I was quite surprised when I saw her as the main character. The others uhh who knows, ep 2 it is.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Tape(s)

Rayane-47 - Yesterday

12 by RudeRedis »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Gimai Seikatsu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 29

80 by ShokugekiNoRindo »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Gimai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 8

77 by Rocky4042 »»
Yesterday, 3:37 PM

Poll: » Gimai Seikatsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 22

68 by LuisSV23 »»
Yesterday, 10:36 AM

» Do you binge watch everything?

habib_kun - Aug 12

31 by Zimmu »»
Yesterday, 5:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.