Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 30, 2022 2:35 PM
Dec 2014
This anime is very bad but I will continue watching it.
Oct 30, 2022 2:37 PM
Aug 2022
Lum is starting to grown on me lol
Konan_Edogawa_ said:
davidlionheart said:
Mendo was super funny in this episode!
Mendo is one of my favorites characters in the series. Other than Lum of course as the OG waifu I cant betray her.

Lum is starting to grow on me too.

The joke that really cracked me up was when Ataru asked Shinobu if she had the hots for mendo, and she was like well yeah he is handsome, cultured and has a ton of money.
Oct 30, 2022 2:40 PM

Jan 2018
davidlionheart said:
Lum is starting to grown on me lol
Konan_Edogawa_ said:
Mendo is one of my favorites characters in the series. Other than Lum of course as the OG waifu I cant betray her.

Lum is starting to grow on me too.

The joke that really cracked me up was when Ataru asked Shinobu if she had the hots for mendo, and she was like well yeah he is handsome, cultured and has a ton of money.
LMAO yep that was the line that made me laugh to. I believe if I remember correctly that was in the original anime to.
Oct 30, 2022 3:33 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
davidlionheart said:

Mamoru Miyano is gonna kill this role :D
Oct 30, 2022 5:58 PM

Feb 2018
Seems like things are getting even more chaotic with the addition of this knew character.
I'm really not sure where this thing is going, but i guess its only the beginning, so they're still in the process of introducing things to us.
Don't want to be too critical of it just yet, when later on there might actually be some plot.
Oct 30, 2022 7:14 PM
Jan 2021
it was really funny can't wait to see more let's hope that we get a Ranma 1/2 remake next.
Oct 30, 2022 7:15 PM
Oct 2022
corvKa said:
Seems like things are getting even more chaotic with the addition of this knew character.

lmao... you young guys have no idea, i follow this forum (and other places) just for this, to see the reactions :) 'cause it kinda reminds of myself watching it on TV every day in the 80s, and i was always anticipating the surprise/plot of the new episode !

At some point in the OG anime/manga I started to lose the count when a new character appeared, dozens and dozens of them but I always remembered who was who - because they were so defined and distinct between themselves =)

When most of them are introduced you will see an episode with a dozen of the characters following a certain plot, and then the next episode with 20 facing a complete different scenario, then the next episode with another 10 characters who weren't on those previous two episodes, and so on... Rumiko used her characters like cards that she could mix randomly, to find new dynamics/comic ideas !

With only Lum and Ataru being in basicly all of them - I think Lum is missing in just 2-3 chapters in the manga, and only once in OG anime.

This is why it's still considered the most chaotic, iconic, demential and "obnoxious" serie ever :) and also the first for many of these tropes too !
HelstarOct 30, 2022 7:36 PM
Oct 30, 2022 7:28 PM

Oct 2010
T3chol3gTr3ndi said:
FMmatron said:
I miss Ten-chan tbh

Mendou based tho

Ten is the worst character. I hope they stay faithful to the manga and we won't get to see him for many episodes to come.

I dislike Ten too, so I'm happy Mendo is the one getting the Ten treatment this time (early debut and being added to stories he wasn't around for originally - the pre-airing trailer showed him in Oyuki's debut).
Oct 30, 2022 8:17 PM

Jan 2013
+1 girl to call him darling? lmao
This new guy is annoying but i guess he'll learn his way.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 31, 2022 12:59 AM

Jul 2010
Damn it, where's TEN?! Mendo is good, yes with such a voice, ma a, but where is the Little One??? Where is the main beauty of the whole cosmos?! And so, the episode is funny, Lum pretty, OP and ED like it more and more.
May be some anime?
Oct 31, 2022 1:00 AM

Jul 2010
Smudy said:
davidlionheart said:

Mamoru Miyano is gonna kill this role :D

You just took it off your tongue and read your thoughts :3
May be some anime?
Oct 31, 2022 3:06 AM

Jun 2021
Mendo is already here, cool. Even if being used to Kotaro Tatsumi from Zombieland Saga (not Light Yagami 'cause i saw Death Note in italian dub) his voice is somehow distracting. But... what does he want to do to fellow students who arrive late for lessons if he wins the elections? ... does he want to outdo Prison School? He also criticized Ataru for his nose, even if it's just the standard anime nose seen everywhere. Also, why not Megane as a class representative?

Shinobu kicking Ataru behind her like that was cool too.

"with low expectations life is a little more happy" well, for once, Moroboshi is right

Lum isn't a student yet but already takes part of school trips? And then the male couple gets lost in the cave... imagine if they found Ryoga.
Oct 31, 2022 8:07 AM
Mar 2021
it was ok for me but it was not as good as i expected
Oct 31, 2022 2:11 PM

Mar 2021
Honestly found this episode enjoyable to watch, thinking about going back and reading the manga.
Oct 31, 2022 3:17 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Lum in casual clothing is bliss

Nov 1, 2022 3:30 AM

Feb 2008
Smudy said:

Even better with a ponytail.
Nov 1, 2022 1:01 PM

May 2018
Man, watta lame episode .......
Nov 1, 2022 1:28 PM

Aug 2019
better than the original

Nov 1, 2022 5:35 PM

Dec 2021
Konan_Edogawa_ said:
Oleogm said:

I have to say, when I joined the UY fandom I was impressed everyone hated Ten. I really liked him, even more in the 5th film
Then I guess you are in a big minority there. I like Atatru more if that gives you an idea how much I dislike Ten

Where do those two stand in comparison to Asuka, the man-phobic woman that I heard everybody hated more than both of them?
Daviljoe193Nov 1, 2022 5:38 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Nov 2, 2022 11:34 AM

Jan 2020
Oh my, jumpin'-out-of-planes boy over here.

Mendo vs Ataru was some utter shenanigans if I ever did see them. It was quite amusing.

Lum's camping outfit was really cute, it's a shame Shinobu couldn't have an equal amount of eye-candy.

Well, Mendo is pretty annoying. I'm not looking forward to having to deal with him going forward. I really thought he was going to try and steal Shinobu too, but in the end it looks like he's all-board the Lum train. It could've been an interesting dynamic to have Shinobu actually with another person while Ataru was stuck with Lum, thus putting a little more pressure on him.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Nov 2, 2022 2:03 PM
Oct 2022
Daviljoe193 said:

Where do those two stand in comparison to Asuka, the man-phobic woman that I heard everybody hated more than both of them?

I don't think we will see her in this remake ... but who knows, we are going to see the little sea creature who was a very little character... whereas Ten who had many episodes about him and some superb ones like the burnt scarf one is still nowhere to be seen (will surely appear in the other cours).

Asuka was a very extreme character, the over-the-top strenght, huge jumps and running at 300km/h was just too much to bear (even if we take it as a demential She-Hulk parody, I guess), the man-phobic attitude was funny though - wasn't entirely her fault afterall, having been raised without ever seeing a male until she was a teenager. And Ataru being the first man seen contributed a lot to raise her phobia (such a creepo for every single normal girl in the show, figures for her !).... but she was cool with her own brother, too much cool actually ! I don't really think they could be able to show those almost incestuous scenes ! xD
HelstarNov 2, 2022 2:11 PM
Nov 2, 2022 2:37 PM
Jan 2022
mendo kinda funny
Nov 2, 2022 4:49 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
SidVicious said:
Smudy said:

Even better with a ponytail.

Gotta bet that we see even more good hairstyles on her :D
Nov 2, 2022 9:41 PM

Feb 2016
colinkelly1 said:
it was really funny can't wait to see more let's hope that we get a Ranma 1/2 remake next.

I wonder if David Pro is going to do something similar to their "JoJo's" business model, except instead of adapting every JoJo part one-by-one, they go through the Rumic World mangas.
So next up would be a Maison Ikkoku remake (Not that I think it needs one... the original is plenty good as is) and then a Ranma 1/2 remake (That would absolutely print them money) etc.
Admittedly, even though Maison is my favorite Rumic work, it doesn't bring the massive crowds that Ranma and Inuyasha seem to bring; Though I could see them doing it regardless.

Anyway, back on topic to the episode - I liked it! I always get a kick out of Mendo, so I'm glad the 2022 series introduced him earlier than the '80s version did. My friends and I are rewatching the original corresponding episodes alongside the new ones. The new ones are pretty solid, though I find the comedic expressions are a little better in the original.
Nov 3, 2022 12:41 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
I was kinda losing hope in the humor connecting with me after the 2nd episode, but this one made me chuckle quite a bit throughout, so I'm gonna stay with it. Still mostly the same oldschool physical comedy, but at least it's some well-written physical comedy.

Made me recall the Mahoujin Guruguru remake from a few years back (which I've just realized almost nobody has watched).
Nov 3, 2022 3:57 AM
May 2020
imo lum is easily the better option here
Nov 3, 2022 4:46 PM
Oct 2022
MENDOOOO!

been loving how david studios peppers in Lum no ai from the original; here and there; shows a level of care for this classic masterwork
Nov 5, 2022 1:26 AM
Jul 2017
New classmate. Miyano Mamoru killing it.
Nov 5, 2022 1:03 PM
Aug 2009
How is it even possible to make something so soulless and like bike utterly unlike the original you are copying?.... deal with the devil?...
Nov 6, 2022 7:17 PM

Oct 2013
Great episode. This be great
"We brawlers are sustained by willpower! Even when mocked as reckless and crazy!"
Nov 10, 2022 9:25 PM

Dec 2012
This episode was hilarious

Nov 11, 2022 6:53 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Space_Michael_5 said:
colinkelly1 said:

I wonder if David Pro is going to do something similar to their "JoJo's" business model, except instead of adapting every JoJo part one-by-one, they go through the Rumic World mangas.
So next up would be a Maison Ikkoku remake (Not that I think it needs one... the original is plenty good as is) and then a Ranma 1/2 remake (That would absolutely print them money) etc.
Admittedly, even though Maison is my favorite Rumic work, it doesn't bring the massive crowds that Ranma and Inuyasha seem to bring; Though I could see them doing it regardless.

Anyway, back on topic to the episode - I liked it! I always get a kick out of Mendo, so I'm glad the 2022 series introduced him earlier than the '80s version did. My friends and I are rewatching the original corresponding episodes alongside the new ones. The new ones are pretty solid, though I find the comedic expressions are a little better in the original.

Maison Ikkoku does NOT need a remake, even less than Urusei Yatsura. I don't think it's remotely possible to come close to the wonderful story crafted in anime form back then and while i would obviously watch a remake, i don't want it to happen either.
Nov 11, 2022 9:38 AM

Feb 2016
Smudy said:
Space_Michael_5 said:

Maison Ikkoku does NOT need a remake, even less than Urusei Yatsura. I don't think it's remotely possible to come close to the wonderful story crafted in anime form back then and while i would obviously watch a remake, i don't want it to happen either.

I'm feeling the same way. I would absolutely watch it if they made one, but I'd rather they didn't. Actually, it would be interesting if David Pro visited Rumiko's more unknown works like One-Pound Gospel instead.
Nov 11, 2022 10:15 AM

Jun 2019
Mendo is one hell of a dude and he's being voiced by Mamoru Miyano, that makes me a pretty funny guy. Gotta say some things are just not as funny as they think. Times have changed but some do.
Nov 11, 2022 4:15 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Space_Michael_5 said:
Smudy said:

I'm feeling the same way. I would absolutely watch it if they made one, but I'd rather they didn't. Actually, it would be interesting if David Pro visited Rumiko's more unknown works like One-Pound Gospel instead.

Actually did watch One Pound Gospel in form of groupwatching, it was alright for what it was. Definitely needed a TV series adaptation and not a flimsy OVA, looked unfinished which was inevitable.
Nov 13, 2022 12:20 PM
Jan 2016
Lum with the drip do be really cute :eyes:
Nov 13, 2022 12:31 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Seguri said:

Just as beautiful as my girl Kyoko, Rumiko Takahashi with two great female leads!
Nov 13, 2022 12:36 PM

Apr 2012
Mendo really is just Ataru but good at hiding it :P
Nov 13, 2022 12:37 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Seguri said:

Totally, and she gets even better in episode 5. Lum's still got it as the OG waifu. :D
Nov 13, 2022 12:38 PM
Jan 2016
Smudy said:
Seguri said:

Just as beautiful as my girl Kyoko, Rumiko Takahashi with two great female leads!
True! Although Kyoko is still best girl for me :p, it's crazy how Rumiko is so good at making timeless waifu lol
Nov 13, 2022 1:12 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Seguri said:
Smudy said:

True! Although Kyoko is still best girl for me :p, it's crazy how Rumiko is so good at making timeless waifu lol

Still have yet to see Inuyasha or Ranma 1/2, maybe that's on the cards for later, surely they have good female leads as well.
Nov 13, 2022 1:19 PM
Sep 2018
Still glad this is still good I'm kinda upset by most of the zoomers remakes now actually a good one for once...
Nov 13, 2022 1:43 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
ShiroKuro_ said:
Still glad this is still good I'm kinda upset by most of the zoomers remakes now actually a good one for once...

I get what you mean, most of the time they go way overboard with modernization and trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator, but it's done very tastefully here.
Nov 13, 2022 1:44 PM
Jan 2016
Smudy said:
Seguri said:

Still have yet to see Inuyasha or Ranma 1/2, maybe that's on the cards for later, surely they have good female leads as well.
Those are definitely on my animes i plan to watch in the future indeed !
Nov 13, 2022 1:45 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
moozooh said:
ShiroKuro_ said:

I get what you mean, most of the time they go way overboard with modernization and trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator, but it's done very tastefully here.

DavidPro were definitely respectful to the OG material, the artstyle looks great even in modern days.

I remember the Shaman King remake which i dropped very soon, it just looked very bland and uninspired.
Nov 13, 2022 1:47 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Smudy said:
DavidPro were definitely respectful to the OG material, the artstyle looks great even in modern days.

Yeah, I had full trust in the team knowing how pinpointedly perfect they've managed to capture the right tone and art style for JoJo.
Nov 15, 2022 8:41 AM
Dec 2018
This episode was so random. But i like it
Dec 30, 2022 11:34 PM
Dec 2022
I really loved introducing another character to oppose the views of the main character in the fact they they are now all in a love square trying to fall in love with the person who is not trying to fall in love with them.
Jan 5, 2023 3:15 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Really liked how they handled the Mendou introduction. Hilarious stuff.

And like a poster above said, seeing Lum in normal clothes is happiness, and with a ponytail pure bliss.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 9, 2023 2:08 PM
Jan 2023
The animation is really cool but the story is outdated already
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2023

68 by Kiikani »»
May 16, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2022

142 by 3rez »»
Apr 26, 8:49 AM

» Does this get better or the overall feel of the series can be sensed in it's first episodes?

BiobulletM - Mar 12

7 by 0451 »»
Apr 13, 5:22 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2023

52 by adaminop »»
Apr 5, 9:53 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2023

52 by ArctiKFox »»
Mar 30, 8:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.