Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 13, 2022 3:46 PM

Apr 2018
Haven't watched the original one but this one seems pretty good so far. Love the main duo.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Oct 13, 2022 3:47 PM

Aug 2013
Visuals are pretty, Ueasaka Sumire is perfect as Lum, OP song is catchy. Though, it's super disappointing that they heavily tamed down the source material if it comes to fanservice in this adaptation. I don't think that original adaptation would be as popular as it was (and still is) without it.

rsc-plOct 13, 2022 4:43 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 13, 2022 3:53 PM
Oct 2020
Mastapeeece babyyy
Oct 13, 2022 3:57 PM
Mar 2022
So far this is fucking amazing, for me, this episode is 8/10 (1 point for being a fan of the series, so that counts bias and 1 point for rushing)
atj2085Oct 13, 2022 5:00 PM
Oct 13, 2022 3:58 PM

Jun 2021
I hope I'll end up liking Lum's character as the story goes on since I jumped into this show without any knowledge of the original and I'm not a huge fan of bitchy characters.

Oct 13, 2022 4:02 PM

Nov 2015
very fun afterall

Oct 13, 2022 4:05 PM
May 2016
Never watched the original but I loved this, everything oozed style!
Oct 13, 2022 4:07 PM
May 2016
AcceleratorAngel said:
DiomarBrasindo said:

Why isn’t it as good

It's censored compared to the original.

Also the original has for its time smooth animation all around.

This remake looks cheap besides the good voice cast.

I don't think you know what "cheap" anime looks like my friend.
Oct 13, 2022 4:13 PM
Aug 2016
Beautiful art style in this remake! I could not stop laughing!
Oct 13, 2022 4:30 PM
Nov 2021
why Ataru is treating Lum so disrespectfully ? and why crowd have not lynched them yet? in original version ataru is so lustful. but in this he is not. and they made lum a villain.
Oct 13, 2022 4:35 PM
Oct 2022
Master piece absolute blast to watch
Oct 13, 2022 4:43 PM
Oct 2015
Nostalgic af. I am glad they kept that 80s style instead of completely changing it. The most annoying character is probably coming in the next ep but I will still look forward to it
Oct 13, 2022 4:56 PM
Furious

Dec 2017
I love that they are adapting this classic in a modern style while still retaining a lot of the spirit of the original. It was funny hearing the main character yell for the first time... I knew right away it was Araragi-san. Really fun and can't wait to see more

.・゜゜・ anime list ・゜゜・.
.・゜゜・ manga list ・゜゜・.
.・゜゜・ gaming list ・゜゜・.

Oct 13, 2022 4:56 PM
Dec 2013
And the trend of anime remakes continue. Here it is: the Urusei Yatsura remake. Based on a manga that has sold 35 million copies.

I started Urusei Yatsura (1981) back in 2015. Still watching it to this day lol. It's okay, I guess. Just another episodic comedy show. Was never a big fan of the series and in no rush to finish it. I also never read the manga, so I can't tell how faithful of an adaptation it is. All I know is that they are planning to adapt specific chapters from the manga, instead of adapting all the chapters. Meaning that the anime is going to skip a lot of the chapters of the manga.

Lum is so much hotter in the remake. Apparently, Lum is the first tsundere, according to Wikipedia (which tbh sounds completely wrong. If anything, she's the first waifu character and Ataru is the tsundere).

It seems the remake did not update the technology. The show seems to be set around 1978-1981. It did update the artstyle though, which is the artstyle Rumiko Takahashi currently uses. But the 1981 version's artstyle is still closer to the original manga's artstyle.

Enjoyable start so far. The original showed Lum's nipples in the first episode, but the remake didn't, but whatever, the rest of the 1981 version of the anime didn't show any more nudity after episode 1.
wildhoodJan 11, 2023 5:28 PM
Oct 13, 2022 4:59 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
never seen the original as its just way too long, but i knew the waifu would be strong with this one

i like that the artstyle is still 80s looking and that the setting is also from decades ago, 70s if im correct

also love the homages to manga in the OP

Lum was one of my first anime girl images in the early 2000s so despite never having watched, theres still some nostaglia in the character
Oct 13, 2022 5:08 PM

Jul 2015
It gave me serious early Black Clover flashbacks.
This guy was yelling literally entire episode.

Oct 13, 2022 5:25 PM
Feb 2020
Well done. Urusei Yatsura isn't for everyone. Me included, not much of a fan of the manga. They adapted it pretty perfectly though. Nothing crazy but its definitley faithful and we'll done. No complaints (episode 1)
Oct 13, 2022 5:25 PM
Sep 2018
Dont tell me this is another of those rumiko's mangas where there isn't any real progress in the romance until the very last episode and the characters repeat the same joke over an over
Oct 13, 2022 5:26 PM

Apr 2021
Cute and comedic fun XD
Oct 13, 2022 5:34 PM
Dec 2016
10/10 enjoyment, I would even say it is the perfect adaptation for nowadays standards
Oct 13, 2022 5:39 PM

Mar 2013
Felt like a fever dream in some parts but had me laughing out loud
Oct 13, 2022 5:42 PM

Jul 2021
contains all stuff like the battle of marriage and love triangles, well I hope it doesn't take itself too seriously but so far it's enjoyable, maybe I'm really into the faster paced comedy here
CQLLISTOct 14, 2022 4:23 AM
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Oct 13, 2022 5:52 PM

Jun 2021
I never watched the original series, so I never got what the fuss was about.

Now that I've watched this, I dunno if I can take another god knows how many episodes of it if I'm honest.

I get it's supposed to be wacky comedy, but for me there comes a point where if everyone in the show is just gonna act like a cunt then I usually stop laughing.

Yeah even as someone who never watched the show I understand its significance (was a big step towards popularising localisation of anime in the West, and Lum is labelled as the OG waifu), but I'm gonna say no, I didn't find it funny. Everyone in the show sucks.

Also this isn't getting dubbed by the BBC so there's another point not in its favour.
Oct 13, 2022 5:58 PM

Apr 2012
Lolipops said:
After watching it, I just asked myself: "Why would I watch this over the original?" The answer for me is that I won't be. It isn't as good as the original.

Agreed. I've seen little of the original because it's not very easy to find online.
Oct 13, 2022 6:00 PM

May 2020
this was a good first ep
its really funny
and lums pretty cute
can't for ep 2
Homura24Oct 16, 2022 10:05 PM

Oct 13, 2022 6:05 PM

Sep 2011
Huge Urusei Yatsura fan here excited to watch Urusei Yatsura for the first time
Oct 13, 2022 6:31 PM
Sep 2017
anime wasn't a mistake after all
Oct 13, 2022 6:32 PM
Oct 2022
They did a great job portraying Ataru's dedication to womanizing that surpasses all reason or limits.

Cherry seems very accurate.

Lum is great! All hail Lum!

The colors make it very fun to watch and they did a great job fitting the stories into the time they had. A good job all around, I'd say. Excited for more
Oct 13, 2022 6:37 PM
May 2017
Lum is back to invade Ataru's heart. Very good!
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Oct 13, 2022 6:43 PM
Sep 2019
There's a lot of sniping back and fourth about this anime, without a lot of discussion of the details.

The first issue I noticed is the jokes. I'm familiar with both the original anime and the manga. In the original anime, there was a reference to Space Battleship Yamato, and Ataru's line doing so was completely cut. Part of the appeal of the original was the ridiculous pop culture references, something that had originated with the show. Maybe they were worried that style of comedy was played out in the 2000s (Lucky Star, Gintama, Sgt. Frog, etc). That was disappointing, because "I'd rather go to Iscandar" is something I quote regularly. I expected they'd replace it with a modern pop culture reference.

Then then completely screw up the scene where Ataru is in his room with Shinobu. The funny part about the original scene was the way the show was treating it as dramatic when the situation itself was fundamentally absurd.

The one positive I expected here was that they'd do the much funnier manga version of the event where Sakura thought Ataru was gonna kill himself, instead of him getting hit by a baseball. However, this execution just kinda flopped because it was just rushed past.

In the beginning, Mr. Invader says "Let's get Invadin'", which is rather similar to saying "It's Morbin' Time".

As for the second half, it was well executed, but I prefer the second half of the original episode. Especially since an Oil Crisis is pretty evergreen as far as timely references go.
Oct 13, 2022 6:46 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Throughout this year I’ve been watching little bits of Urusei Yatsura, I made a decent little chunk around 30 some episodes, and I gotta say I’m incredibly happy with this new series. I was afraid they would change Ataru’s character or change the comedy of the show, and so far they thankfully haven’t, bless David Productions man. And I do really like the new art style, it feels new and fresh while at the same time nostalgic for classic anime from the time, it’s a really nice mix.

And not only that the show is amazing looking so far too, it looks so crisp. And wow, while I would have liked remasters of the original OP and ED these new ones are jams for sure, love those visuals, they’re immediately contenders for best of the season, just like this is a contender for my anime of the season. I can’t wait for more, I’ll need to watch some more of the OG in the mean time as well.
Oct 13, 2022 6:48 PM

Feb 2008
Honestly, I am probably not a very good person, because I would have instantly accepted the marriage with Lum. Shinobu, sorry... but if I have the choice between an annoying somewhat cute but plain looking girl vs an annoying sexy oni alien who doesn't understand the concept of clothing and only wears tiger striped underwear everywhere... I am picking the alien. XD

As for the actual series, it's very old school slap stick comedy. I may give it a few more eps just to see if it keeps me interested, but as of now... the only thing that I like about it so far is Lum.
I am become bunny, fluffing of worlds.
Oct 13, 2022 6:54 PM

Jan 2018
AcceleratorAngel said:
DiomarBrasindo said:

Why isn’t it as good

You realize its not 1981 anymore right? There is only so far that anime creators are able to take sexually suggestive scenes anymore without getting some kind of legal backlash or just outrage from the public.
Oct 13, 2022 6:56 PM

Jan 2018
wildhood said:
And the trend of anime remakes continue. Here it is: the Urusei Yatsura remake.

I started Urusei Yatsura (1981) back in 2015. Still watching it to this day lol. It's okay, I guess. Just another episodic comedy show. Was never a big fan of the series and in no rush to finish it. I also never read the manga, so I can't tell how faithful of an adaptation it is. All I know is that they are planning to adapt specific chapters from the manga, instead of adapting all the chapters. Meaning that the anime is going to skip a lot of the chapters of the manga.

Lum is so much hotter in the remake. Apparently, Lum is the first tsundere, according to Wikipedia.

It seems the remake did not update the technology. The show seems to be set around 1978-1981. It did update the artstyle though, which is the artstyle Rumiko Takahashi currently uses. But the 1981 version's artstyle is still closer to the original manga's artstyle.

Enjoyable start so far. The original showed Lum's nipples in the first episode, but the remake didn't, but whatever, the rest of the 1981 version of the anime didn't show any more nudity after episode 1.
I actually like that they didnt update the technology or anything like that. It shows just how faithful David is to the remake at least in my opinion.
Oct 13, 2022 7:00 PM

Feb 2019
REAL ANIME IS BACK LETS GOOOO AND MINAMI ON THE OP TOO WE ARE FEASTING.

I LOVE how David pro have kept the same 80s feel and vibe with updated animation quality. Really shows that they intend to be faithful to the source material and give it the justice it deserves. I can’t wait to see how this goes. Really good first episode
Oct 13, 2022 7:11 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Ataru is so annoying, they portrayed him perfectly.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Oct 13, 2022 7:35 PM

Apr 2022
i haven't watched the original series but i really enjoyed this first episode. the opening and endings were both fire and not to mention the animation
Oct 13, 2022 7:36 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty fun premiere.

Never watched the OG Urusei Yatsura, but watched most if not all of Ranma back in the days and the slapstick and jealousy themes from the creator Rumiko are all here.

I'm quite impressed with the art quality along with the animation, it does give that 80s vibe but with a very modern look.
Oct 13, 2022 7:41 PM

Jul 2012
I loved the little musical quoting of the OP for the 1981 series at the end of the first segment.
Oct 13, 2022 7:49 PM

Dec 2021
Ataru actually having fans is so bonkers
Oct 13, 2022 7:52 PM

Jan 2013
Of course they didn't have the balls to show Lum's nipples, that's why I hate modern remakes.
Oct 13, 2022 7:59 PM

Dec 2016
sonictoryuiai said:
Of course they didn't have the balls to show Lum's nipples, that's why I hate modern remakes.

Wow, for real? This along with everyone whinning because there are no nipples is the hill they are willing to die on?

If they had gone for the whole fanservice package the show would had had been presented in a different broadcasting/streaming services along with a different timeslot that would had hindered the amount of viewers. They are doing the right thing by weeding out the worthless viewers that are in just for the fanservice.
Oct 13, 2022 8:18 PM

Nov 2008
Loved it! This adaptation captures the spirit of the original so well. And the colours capture the colour illustrations by Takahashi.

I'm impressed by how well the new voice actors match the sound and feel of the originals. There was nothing here that jarred me.

All-in-all I enjoyed the entire thing.
Oct 13, 2022 8:22 PM
Sep 2018
I've only seen scattered episodes of the original, and those a very long time ago for the most part.
It was one of the first anime I saw back in 1988, but the student group didn't have many episodes, plus they were showing as many different anime as they could lay their hands on at the monthly meetings.
I've had fond memories of it, and the intent to sit down sometime and watch all of it; I haven't done too well at that, have I now?

I like what they are doing here.
It's nailing all the important stuff about all of those involved within the story.
Artistically it's very much based upon Rumiko Takahashi's style.
The VAs are excellent.

It'll be interesting to see what they change to reflect the passage of time; the OP section did seem to show some of that, with the concertgoers having the now ubiquitous light wands; when the original came out it was still the thing to hold up cigarette lighters with the flame turned as high as it would go, which hasn't been permitted for decades now. So there'll be stuff that's been changed to not interfere with current viewer immersion.

It's early to make final judgements (which has never stopped many here at MAL!), but I think it'll be enjoyable.
Oct 13, 2022 8:23 PM
Mar 2018
Great to see the classics in modern art style.

Oct 13, 2022 8:27 PM

Jan 2020
I don't remember adding this to my PTW, but I'm glad I ended up checking this out. Because, wow, the art and animation in this are quite, quite good. Though, I suppose it is David Production. But still, the backgrounds and landscapes especially really caught my eye.

The OP/ED are both really good as well. Potentially the best of this season.

The premise is obscure enough to be up my alley as well. In general, I was amused the whole way through. It's nice to see some unapologetic silliness. Though, I do feel rather bad for Shinobu.

I guess the original showed nipples, but seeing as this one is PG-13, I doubt we'll see any. But, nipples alone are probably worth checking out the original. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Oct 13, 2022 8:29 PM

May 2019
The remake of the series is finally here. I think it's a pretty good adaptation despite the pacing is a bit weird for me. Considering it's just the first episode, it's fine to rush a bit the earlier chapters so it could introduce more characters and can get into far more interesting stories later on. No matter how iconic the OG's first episode is, I think the new series handled the first episode much better than the OG one in terms of characterization. I like how it's a bit different but also more faithful to the manga. Ataru is not so lustful in the first episode and Lum is a bit feistier, it's already done better in the remake. This is the first time I have seen Ataru cheered as a hero and it's nice.

The visuals and the coloring of the animation are so vibrant and so appealing to look at. You could hear a bit of OG Ataru's voice in his father when he is passing the baton(raincoat) lol. I hope the new remake could get even more creative with the references and not shy to be more insane and wackier since it's one of UY's strongest appeals. The voice-over of the cast is good but the original one really stuck in my head whenever I think of UY. I still need time to get used to the voice acting the more I watch the remake. The soundtrack of the original is definitely far superior to the remake one. Lastly, I need to mention I love the OP the best so far. It's a freaking love letter or a celebration of UY as a work from the past and how it will also impact the present day. The animated manga panels, space invaders, idol dance, original artworks, UY-related games, dating app, dating sim and more. I can't get over how good the OP is for paying so much respect to legacy and UY's history. Both OP and ED is alright in term of the music and I like how it still captured the synth wave vibe so well. This is a good start for the remake and it could definitely get a lot better from here on.
VivaceRexOct 13, 2022 9:20 PM

Oct 13, 2022 8:34 PM
Jun 2013
AcceleratorAngel said:
DiomarBrasindo said:

Why isn’t it as good

Dude, anyone with half of a brain knew this wouldn't have nudity, this is a old as fuck shounen tv show, in a very different time where you could see some nipples without having to be broadcasted after midnight or having to buy BDs, and the nipples are not even the point of the show, they're not really important lol

Also, "cheap"? are you blind? this looks super well produced with very smooth animation and amazing colors/artstyle.
Shinuki_n_RebornOct 13, 2022 8:37 PM
Oct 13, 2022 8:47 PM

Mar 2019
Expected something else, and better....

Funny for 5 minutes, then just repetitive.

Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Oct 13, 2022 9:21 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Didn't want to miss the opportunity to finally watch Urusei Yatsura. I was aware of the premise and I had seen the first episode of the original series, so I kind of knew what to expect coming in. It has that classic, over the top humor of the 70s/80s that the series is known for, and it's a fun, comfy watch. But the real standout were the visuals. Throughout the episode, it all looked terrific, especially Lum.

I read that this series is more like "the best of" rather than a complete adaptation. I don't mind that per se, because knowing we'll get the best of the series in the best looking way it's ever been is nice.

Ultimately, this is a clear love letter to the original series and its author, Rumiko Takahashi (who just celebrated her birthday on October 10th!). You can feel it in the opening, with all the shots of the manga being incorporated. Excited to see more of Lum!
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2023

68 by Kiikani »»
May 16, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2022

142 by 3rez »»
Apr 26, 8:49 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2022

154 by red1130 »»
Apr 17, 9:51 AM

» Does this get better or the overall feel of the series can be sensed in it's first episodes?

BiobulletM - Mar 12

7 by 0451 »»
Apr 13, 5:22 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2023

52 by adaminop »»
Apr 5, 9:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.