Forum Settings
Forums

Why are most female characters in shonen garbage?

New
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 8, 2022 4:24 PM
Aug 2020
Minute_Hand said:
"tsunade is pathetic hokage"
Lmao , there isn't anything wrong with tsunade you are just retarded.

I am pretty much convinced this is a bait thread , but still I would like to give you a chance.

what do you believe to be a well written female character in anime / manga , give me 5/6 examples.
Schwarznight said:
What happened to solid female characters, who are complex, and who could wreck their male counterparts?
I don't get it , A female character needs to be stronger than their male counterparts to be considered well written, is that what you're trying to say?

Decent females:

GTO
-Kanzaki (Smart....can be intimidating...and she has a nice arc...where she changes)

Gintama:
-Kagura (strong...fairly independent for her age... cares for dogs... can be a brat sometimes... complex relationship with her brother and dad)...can hold her ground

Inuyasha
-Sango (pretty badass female by all rights, and a devoted sister...etc)

Claymore:
Teresa - badass and lit af...her cold personality softened and she got development in a short space of time

Cross Game:
-Aoba - a genius pitcher...who is a nuanced character...

Apr 8, 2022 4:25 PM

Oct 2013
Schwarznight said:
FanofAction said:

Okay, but you have to also consider the context though. Does this make sense within the world the series takes place in. You can't always apply real world logic and morals to fictional worlds. That kinda ruins the point of fiction.

I am assuming you didn't see or read it. Yeah, it doesn't make sense. I think a majority of the fanbase became livid about how Historia was treated. No respect. Made no sense either. I just think male authors (maybe female as well) are bad when it comes to romance or that type of interaction. It's so awkward. In some cases, it is just misogynistic.

Actually, yeah I did see it. That doesn't change my thoughts on this. I I didn't really agree with it, but I could wrap my head around the decision within the show. Its like the Shield Hero thing. I know slavery is fucked up, but I could understand why the mc resorted to that.
Apr 8, 2022 4:28 PM
Aug 2020
Scud said:
Are the male characters really any better? Can't remember the last shounen character I actually liked.

A lot of MCs are generic and in some ways copy and paste...but there are some fascinating male characters in shounen, especially some of the antagonists... Pain from Naruto... is an example. Not one female in Naruto is as complex as Pain.
Apr 8, 2022 4:30 PM
Aug 2020
FanofAction said:
Schwarznight said:

I am assuming you didn't see or read it. Yeah, it doesn't make sense. I think a majority of the fanbase became livid about how Historia was treated. No respect. Made no sense either. I just think male authors (maybe female as well) are bad when it comes to romance or that type of interaction. It's so awkward. In some cases, it is just misogynistic.

Actually, yeah I did see it. That doesn't change my thoughts on this. I I didn't really agree with it, but I could wrap my head around the decision within the show. Its like the Shield Hero thing. I know slavery is fucked up, but I could understand why the mc resorted to that.

I don't think it is explained why she had to end up with a childhood bully. It makes no sense for the plot. Some random guy.
Apr 8, 2022 4:42 PM
Aug 2020
naerbo said:
Oh. That. It's a multitude of different reasons all playing a part, so just pointing to one would be a disservice to you. These are the reasons I have thought of now, but there are certainly more:
- Wish fulfilment for target demographic. You draw what your audience wants, or at least sells.
- Some haven't enough training in creating realistic or at least deeper female characters and might not even need to, so why bother.
- I don't know if this is a reason at all, bu Japan is a different country to many other countries with all that follows including, but not limited to: laws, norms, societal expectations, and more. And as far as I know Japan has had a reputation to be more conservative than other countries we consume media from. And as such the culture of Japan (a little to broad a term) permeates through everything created there.

I personally subscribe to the thinking that all these factors, and more, play a role in some form or another. I am however aware that this might not be able to completely answer for the lack of female depth in shounen. I also want you take this with a grain of salt as I have no literature backing up my reasoning and therefore I might be seriously wrong.

Hey, thanks for putting so much thought into your response. I agree. I think I am pretty satisfied with everyone's contribution. It's not easy to answer. And, as some have rightfully said, a lot of male characters are also garbage. Female authors also get it wrong, so it's not exclusive to male authors or even shounen. People have pointed out that this problem is not just limited to shounen and the works of male authors... In any case....It might also be more obvious because there tends to be a disproportionate number of guys in most shounen. So weak female characters in terms of emotional and intellectual development stick out more...as the author has to nail it. When there are, say, 10 females and 50 males, it is much easier to see flaws in the females. This might also be one of the reasons. Also, with many characters, it's easy to get lost...Some characters don't get developed properly due to the scope of the universe. Still, it doesn't fully explain why some of the main females tend to be inferior to their male counterparts (and I am not comparing the females against the protagonist), i.e., other side characters.
Apr 8, 2022 4:48 PM
Mar 2022
Because most Shounen fans prefer garbage characters over well written characters.
Apr 8, 2022 4:55 PM

Dec 2021
gotta pander to the incels that just want busty/cutesy females rather than actually making them well written 😔😔😔
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Apr 8, 2022 4:56 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
literally everything in shounen is trash
Apr 8, 2022 5:13 PM
Feb 2019
Schwarznight said:
naerbo said:
Oh. That. It's a multitude of different reasons all playing a part, so just pointing to one would be a disservice to you. These are the reasons I have thought of now, but there are certainly more:
- Wish fulfilment for target demographic. You draw what your audience wants, or at least sells.
- Some haven't enough training in creating realistic or at least deeper female characters and might not even need to, so why bother.
- I don't know if this is a reason at all, bu Japan is a different country to many other countries with all that follows including, but not limited to: laws, norms, societal expectations, and more. And as far as I know Japan has had a reputation to be more conservative than other countries we consume media from. And as such the culture of Japan (a little to broad a term) permeates through everything created there.

I personally subscribe to the thinking that all these factors, and more, play a role in some form or another. I am however aware that this might not be able to completely answer for the lack of female depth in shounen. I also want you take this with a grain of salt as I have no literature backing up my reasoning and therefore I might be seriously wrong.

Hey, thanks for putting so much thought into your response. I agree. I think I am pretty satisfied with everyone's contribution. It's not easy to answer. And, as some have rightfully said, a lot of male characters are also garbage. Female authors also get it wrong, so it's not exclusive to male authors or even shounen. People have pointed out that this problem is not just limited to shounen and the works of male authors... In any case....It might also be more obvious because there tends to be a disproportionate number of guys in most shounen. So weak female characters in terms of emotional and intellectual development stick out more...as the author has to nail it. When there are, say, 10 females and 50 males, it is much easier to see flaws in the females. This might also be one of the reasons. Also, with many characters, it's easy to get lost...Some characters don't get developed properly due to the scope of the universe. Still, it doesn't fully explain why some of the main females tend to be inferior to their male counterparts (and I am not comparing the females against the protagonist), i.e., other side characters.

No problem. I enjoy discussions with at least some depth and not the usual VS. or what do like more (ore less).

You can also see male characters don't get very much depth outside a minimum amount of people. The reason why they might be noticed less is partly due to people being used to them not having depth and not missing said depth due to partly the target audience paying more attention to the female characters or protagonist.

Another reason is that if you have 50 males in a work, the author skips quite a few, but he/she has more training in writing personalities or depth for males and it will show when you get to the few female characters. From what little shoujo I have read the opposite is true. I.e. if you write 25 females and 5-10 males and aren't used to write somewhat grounded males you will end up with the same scenario with the genders switched.

Another thing to consider, though might be very minor, is that any features of a gender that is missing or exaugurated is more apparent to the same gender. I notice more when the male characters is shallow and seems contrived in a shoujo than when a female character is contrived in a shounen.

I sometimes have a really hard time articulating my arguments and they sound great in my head and come out a tad out of order in writing. Sorry about that.
Apr 8, 2022 5:21 PM
Aug 2020
naerbo said:
Schwarznight said:

No problem. I enjoy discussions with at least some depth and not the usual VS. or what do like more (ore less).

You can also see male characters don't get very much depth outside a minimum amount of people. The reason why they might be noticed less is partly due to people being used to them not having depth and not missing said depth due to partly the target audience paying more attention to the female characters or protagonist.

Another reason is that if you have 50 males in a work, the author skips quite a few, but he/she has more training in writing personalities or depth for males and it will show when you get to the few female characters. From what little shoujo I have read the opposite is true. I.e. if you write 25 females and 5-10 males and aren't used to write somewhat grounded males you will end up with the same scenario with the genders switched.

Another thing to consider, though might be very minor, is that any features of a gender that is missing or exaugurated is more apparent to the same gender. I notice more when the male characters is shallow and seems contrived in a shoujo than when a female character is contrived in a shounen.

I sometimes have a really hard time articulating my arguments and they sound great in my head and come out a tad out of order in writing. Sorry about that.

I understood what you said, and I agree. Many excellent points have been raised in this thread. I just hope that the moderators don't take this thread down. They might say it should be a Blog...as my opening feels like a rant, where I am asking people to agree. MAL's rules can be annoying. The thread might be removed.
Apr 8, 2022 5:30 PM
Feb 2019
Schwarznight said:
naerbo said:

I understood what you said, and I agree. Many excellent points have been raised in this thread. I just hope that the moderators don't take this thread down. They might say it should be a Blog...as my opening feels like a rant, where I am asking people to agree. MAL's rules can be annoying. The thread might be removed.

Have taken a look at the rules myself and many threads breach with content that shouldn't be in a discussion, so we can only wait and see. I don't know what the rules are regarding what should be a blog or a discussion. But i have seen many threads which breach with the rulebook.
Apr 8, 2022 5:34 PM

Jul 2021
Schwarznight said:
Claymore:
Teresa - badass and lit af...her cold personality softened and she got development in a short space of time

Oh ye, that's something I have watched.
Those 2-3 episodes of flashbacks convinced me to not drop the anime, but then the entire rest of it was garbage.
Kinda like how I watched Akame ga kill for the romantic subplot. Also wasn't worth it whatsoever.
Apr 8, 2022 5:38 PM
Aug 2020
JaniSIr said:
Schwarznight said:
Claymore:

Those 2-3 episodes of flashbacks convinced me to not drop the anime, but then the entire rest of it was garbage.
Kinda like how I watched Akame ga kill for the romantic subplot. Also wasn't worth it whatsoever.

Yeah, Claymore had some issues after a major incident happened. Still, I think Teresa was class. I think maybe it was poorly adapted. Not sure how faithful it was to the manga.
Apr 8, 2022 5:45 PM
Aug 2020
cosmico456 said:
gotta pander to the incels that just want busty/cutesy females rather than actually making them well written 😔😔😔

lol. not mincing words there. bet someone will get triggered. oh well. funny.
Apr 8, 2022 5:50 PM

Jul 2021
Schwarznight said:
JaniSIr said:

Yeah, Claymore had some issues after a major incident happened. Still, I think Teresa was class. I think maybe it was poorly adapted. Not sure how faithful it was to the manga.

Well, that one flashback was cool, by the end of the anime the fights were so fast supposedly, that they took that as an excuse to add flashing lights in front of a monster standing still, being unaffected until someone shouted a little louder than before or something.
Also don't know how the manga is drawn, in the anime everyone looks the same.
Apr 8, 2022 5:50 PM

Jul 2014
Shounen is generally written by men, who are more familiar with male perspectives than female perspectives. It's also written for teenage boys, so there's not a great deal of incentive to provide female characters with a substantive amount of complexity.
Take care of yourself

Apr 8, 2022 5:52 PM

Jan 2013
You have pretty much admitted in the thread that you don't actually care about a well written female character, you just want to see a female character that's more or less a male in every respective way. So, I have a great recommendation for you in the new He-Man Masters of the Universe reboot.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 8, 2022 6:05 PM
Jul 2018
I agree with shows like mha and aot its like the females are just put on the back burner and have little purpose. Maybe you should watch something like Black Lagoon or JJK, both have badass females that aren't sexualized and have good development.
Apr 8, 2022 6:12 PM
Aug 2020
LostSpectre said:
You have pretty much admitted in the thread that you don't actually care about a well written female character, you just want to see a female character that's more or less a male in every respective way. So, I have a great recommendation for you in the new He-Man Masters of the Universe reboot.

Wrong. Where did I say that? Look at my post where I listed some great females. I wasn't talking about physical powers. That's just one side. Often, the females are just there as a love interest...They are so awkward and serve no purpose other than to enhance the male's presence.
Apr 8, 2022 6:14 PM
Aug 2020
TinaTunaTina said:
I agree with shows like mha and aot its like the females are just put on the back burner and have little purpose. Maybe you should watch something like Black Lagoon or JJK, both have badass females that aren't sexualized and have good development.

Seen JJK. That had some decent females, I agree. Though I didn't understand the power system well...and didn't like how the most OP character was introduced so early on. Also, the tournament arc was ass. I think I tried Black Lagoon in the past, but I dropped it. Might try it again now. Maybe I was too young back then.
Apr 8, 2022 6:14 PM

Jan 2013
TinaTunaTina said:
Using sexualized in a negative connotation is kind of shitty, and Revy clearly has sex appeal, so...
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 8, 2022 6:18 PM
Aug 2020
LoveLikeBlood said:
Shounen is generally written by men, who are more familiar with male perspectives than female perspectives. It's also written for teenage boys, so there's not a great deal of incentive to provide female characters with a substantive amount of complexity.

That makes sense. I think what bothers me is more the misogynistic angle. Some chaarcters are just sloppy. They don't need to be deep, but don't stick them in a kitchen with their boobs hanging out sort of thing. I mean there are different genres, but in some shounen, women are just reduced to objects... It seems intentional, as if the mangaka has some hatred towards women. Maybe I am reading too much into it.
Apr 8, 2022 6:20 PM

Jan 2013
Schwarznight said:
LostSpectre said:

Wrong. Where did I say that? Look at my post where I listed some great females. I wasn't talking about physical powers. That's just one side. Often, the females are just there as a love interest...They are so awkward and serve no purpose other than to enhance the male's presence.
You don't have to spell it out word for word, it's there between the lines. You also just admitted to looking down on female characters if they are love interests, implying they're lesser characters who are only complementing a presumably superior male character. That's some textbook feminist bullshit.
Apr 8, 2022 6:21 PM

Jan 2018
Phosphophyllita said:
SageModeTice said:
If you think anyone cares about your opinion on the complexity of Itachi's character... Well I might have some bad news for you...

Yep, I hope nobody cares about my shit opinion.
Have a great weekend.
Well can't argue with that reply, respect man, have a great weekend as well.
Apr 8, 2022 6:25 PM
Aug 2020
LostSpectre said:
Schwarznight said:

You don't have to spell it out word for word, it's there between the lines. You also just admitted to looking down on female characters if they are love interests, implying they're lesser characters who are only complementing a presumably superior male character. That's some textbook feminist bullshit.

No, you just keep making your own assumptions. There is a difference between a developed love interest and an object of affection. Even in romance, it is possible to have a strong female lead in a relationship, not the subservient type that is coy, ticking various stereotypes. You do know that in a relationship, there are two people. Nothing wrong with being a love interest. But there is something wrong when the girl is just clumsy with big tits, and serves no purpose other than that. Hope you can see that. My qualm is more with the difference in detail. Males tend to be developed better, and I don't just mean in terms of powers and physical abilities. Even on emotional levels. Stop being so butthurt.
Apr 8, 2022 6:25 PM

Jan 2013
Schwarznight said:
That makes sense. I think what bothers me is more the misogynistic angle. Some chaarcters are just sloppy. They don't need to be deep, but don't stick them in a kitchen with their boobs hanging out sort of thing. I mean there are different genres, but in some shounen, women are just reduced to objects... It seems intentional, as if the mangaka has some hatred towards women. Maybe I am reading too much into it.
Now you're denigrating female characters in domestic roles, and sexually shaming them on top of that, nice. It's not uncommon for female characters to be drawn as sexually appealing, but dismissing them as "objects" is certainly a sexist way of viewing it. Personally, I wouldn't devalue a female character just because I find them sexually appealing.
Apr 8, 2022 6:28 PM
Aug 2020
LostSpectre said:
Schwarznight said:
Now you're denigrating female characters in domestic roles, and sexually shaming them on top of that, nice. It's not uncommon for female characters to be drawn as sexually appealing, but dismissing them as "objects" is certainly a sexist way of viewing it. Personally, I wouldn't devalue a female character just because I find them sexually appealing.

No, you are just trolling at this point. Come back with more cogent points, because you are starting to sound argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. I have defended my point well. You just like being difficult.
Apr 8, 2022 6:28 PM

Sep 2020
You know the male characters are often bad too right?
It's not just because it's men who write it, even (female) battle shonen characters written by women are shit.
Apr 8, 2022 6:30 PM

Jan 2013
Schwarznight said:
LostSpectre said:

No, you just keep making your own assumptions. There is a difference between a developed love interest and an object of affection. Even in romance, it is possible to have a strong female lead in a relationship, not the subservient type that is coy, ticking various stereotypes. You do know that in a relationship, there are two people. Nothing wrong with being a love interest. But there is something wrong when the girl is just clumsy with big tits, and serves no purpose other than that. Hope you can see that. My qualm is more with the difference in attention. Males tend to be developed better, and I don't just mean in terms of powers and physical abilities. Even on emotional levels. Stop being so butthurt.
Male characters are hardly developed better in shonen, you're just viewing roles more commonly associated with females, negatively. Claiming Hinata serves no purpose is evidence of that. You're also ignoring the surrealist nature of shonen, these are not characters in fucking literature, expecting them to act like fully competent human beings is going way too far. lol
Apr 8, 2022 6:30 PM
Aug 2020
AwokenStroken said:
You know the male characters are often bad too right?
It's not just because it's men who write it, even (female) battle shonen characters written by women are shit.

Yeah, I have agreed on this point a few times if you look in the thread.
Apr 8, 2022 6:31 PM

Jan 2013
Schwarznight said:
LostSpectre said:

No, you are just trolling at this point. Come back with more cogent points, because you are starting to sound argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. I have defended my point well. You just like being difficult.
You haven't, actually. You just have a typically sexist, feminist mindset in regard to female characters, nothing else to see here.
Apr 8, 2022 6:35 PM
Aug 2020
LostSpectre said:
Schwarznight said:

No, you just keep making your own assumptions. There is a difference between a developed love interest and an object of affection. Even in romance, it is possible to have a strong female lead in a relationship, not the subservient type that is coy, ticking various stereotypes. You do know that in a relationship, there are two people. Nothing wrong with being a love interest. But there is something wrong when the girl is just clumsy with big tits, and serves no purpose other than that. Hope you can see that. My qualm is more with the difference in attention. Males tend to be developed better, and I don't just mean in terms of powers and physical abilities. Even on emotional levels. Stop being so butthurt.
Male characters are hardly developed better in shonen, you're just viewing roles more commonly associated with females, negatively. Claiming Hinata serves no purpose is evidence of that. You're also ignoring the surrealist nature of shonen, these are not characters in fucking literature, expecting them to act like fully competent human beings is going way too far. lol

Hinata was pretty decent, considering her insecurity stemming from being part of the Hyuga clan, where Neiji was a superior fighter...though from like a lesser branch (if I remember). Neiji vs Hinta fight was interesting. My point was more about...take any female in a major Shounen...and Put her next to the most interesting male character...(doesn't even have to be the...MC....as the MC tends to be ass), and the male character will have more depth and be more fleshed out. Like Pain is deeper than any female character in Naruto. Even Jiraiya is deeper than any female character in Naruto (if we just ignore the old man pervert stereoptype...like roshi from dbz). In the Pain fight, we learn so much about Jiraiya. Heck....in that monologue alone you learn what he stands for.
Apr 8, 2022 6:36 PM
Aug 2020
LostSpectre said:
Schwarznight said:

You haven't, actually. You just have a typically sexist, feminist mindset in regard to female characters, nothing else to see here.

Be honest, you are just a triggered AoT fanboy. I shat on Mikasa, etc., and now you are bitter. Saw that you gave the latest season 9/10. I understand, my man. I understand. Stop with the feminist bullshit.
Apr 8, 2022 6:39 PM

Oct 2019
Option 1: Men don't know how to write women
Option 2: They just want their girls to be shallow wank material
Option 3: They ran out of brain juice after writing all the boys

Nowadays there are a good handful of colourful girls in anime tho
Apr 8, 2022 6:39 PM

Jan 2013
Schwarznight said:
LostSpectre said:

Be honest, you are just a triggered AoT fanboy. I shat on Mikasa, etc., and now you are bitter. Saw that you gave the latest season 9/10. I understand, my man. I understand. Stop with the feminist bullshit.
I don't give a fuck about Mikasa lol. You're the one spouting feminist bullshit, and you're telling me to stop? Interesting.
Apr 8, 2022 6:45 PM
Aug 2020
LostSpectre said:
Schwarznight said:

I don't give a fuck about Mikasa lol. You're the one spouting feminist bullshit, and you're telling me to stop? Interesting.

No, you are just a sensitive snowflake, who is making lots of assumptions. You assumed that when I meant love interest, that I implied both parties are equal. There is a difference between a fleshed out male character, with superpowers...high intellect, etc., and a cardboard damsel in distress. The woman can be attractive...but if that is the only thing she has...then that is sloppy...and clear bait from the managaka to appeal to teenagers. Don't bring this feminist bullshit if you can't form cogent arguments.
Apr 8, 2022 6:48 PM
Aug 2020
ryumance said:
Option 1: Men don't know how to write women
Option 2: They just want their girls to be shallow wank material
Option 3: They ran out of brain juice after writing all the boys

Nowadays there are a good handful of colourful girls in anime tho

Facts. Preach. Thanks for using bullet points. Easy for everyone to follow. Straight to the point.
Apr 8, 2022 6:51 PM

Jan 2013
Schwarznight said:
LostSpectre said:

No, you are just a sensitive snowflake, who is making lots of assumptions. You assumed that when I meant love interest, that I implied both parties are equal. There is a difference between a fleshed out male character, with superpowers...high intellect, etc., and a cardboard damsel in distress. The woman can be attractive...but if that is the only thing she has...then that is sloppy...and clear bait from the managaka to appeal to teenagers. Don't bring this feminist bullshit if you can't form cogent arguments.
There wasn't an assumption, you're just an open book. I also can't help it if you're incapable of comprehending my points that relate to feminism. lol

Cheers.
Apr 8, 2022 6:53 PM
Aug 2020
LostSpectre said:
Schwarznight said:

There wasn't an assumption, you're just an open book. I also can't help it if you're incapable of comprehending my points that relate to feminism. lol

Cheers.

You are the only one who raised this feminism point. Nobody else was triggered like you. Hate this whole feminism nonsense these days, where people take it so far....as if they are some defenders of justice. Next time, learn to form arguments before just spouting FeMIiNiSM Rebuttals. Clown.
Apr 8, 2022 7:02 PM

Jan 2022
Schwarznight said:
KIOSHI_17 said:
Well, they are made to be generic. It's just a shounen thing. Their main role is just to support the protagonist in some way or the other

Same shit happens in Bollywood as well. Must be a problem across most of Asia, tbh. Backwards.

Either a love interest or damsel in distress, etc.

Luckily, Kagura from Gintama is great.

Yup, kagura and girls from bleach are some of the few ones that I recall being good female shounen characters.
Apr 8, 2022 7:07 PM
Jul 2018
Shōnen manga (少年漫画), also romanized as shonen or shounen, are Japanese comics mainly marketed and aimed at a YOUNG TEEN MALE readership. These graphic novels and comics are primarily for BOYS between the ages of 12 and 18.
Apr 8, 2022 7:08 PM
Aug 2020
KIOSHI_17 said:
Schwarznight said:

Same shit happens in Bollywood as well. Must be a problem across most of Asia, tbh. Backwards.

Either a love interest or damsel in distress, etc.

Luckily, Kagura from Gintama is great.

Yup, kagura and girls from bleach are some of the few ones that I recall being good female shounen characters.

Yoruichi and Soifon were also decent, not quite Kagura level....but decent. There were quite a few powerful females, you are right. There was this captain lady...she was a medic....or scientist. Can't remember her name. She was cool as well.
Apr 8, 2022 7:08 PM
Jul 2018
Shōnen manga (少年漫画), also romanized as shonen or shounen, are Japanese comics mainly marketed and aimed at a YOUNG TEEN MALE readership. These graphic novels and comics are primarily for BOYS between the ages of 12 and 18.
Apr 8, 2022 7:56 PM
Jul 2018
LostSpectre said:
TinaTunaTina said:
Using sexualized in a negative connotation is kind of shitty, and Revy clearly has sex appeal, so...
It's different from being fanserviced and having sex appeal. I dont mind if a woman knows shes sexy and takes pride in it, thats not fanservice. Random ass shots and boob shots is fanservice. They never sexualized Revy in that show. She was a good badass female with development and she might have sex appeal, but I'm not attracted to women so I wouldn't know.
removed-userApr 8, 2022 8:02 PM
Apr 8, 2022 8:01 PM

Jul 2021
Schwarznight said:

Annie was cold. I agree. Potato girl was a decent comic relief...but it got boring after a while. Hange was okay. My fav female character in AoT was Annie as well. Can't forget what she did to my girl Petra, though, lol. Team Levi got done dirty.

The AoT ladies were well-written mostly. They had good concepts but it's hard to have them continue to grow and be relevant as seasons go by.

+1 on Annie. She was the shit in S1. I loved that they left her around for a few seasons. Hoped that they'd have more for her in S4P2.

Hange - I like her. She started out as the enthusiastic nerd science officer and inherited command of the scouts and its responsibilities. She does what needs to be done but doubts herself. What new commander wouldn't? At least she knew to doubt herself in private and not in public (important leadership skill). Hange will never be Erwin and that's okay. She won't bring the hype up to 11/10 but at the same time she won't throw away scout lives for gambles. (Topic that doesn't get talked about enough: Erwin was cool as fuck but was selfish.)

Petra RIP.

Mikasa - wish they had more space for her to grow. Her backstory episode in S1 was pretty epic. When they showed her in the yard noticing death and the music was playing, I knew that AoT was the real deal. She's been mostly Ereh since then though.
Apr 8, 2022 8:20 PM

Jan 2021
TinaTunaTina said:
LostSpectre said:
It's different from being fanserviced and having sex appeal. I dont mind if a woman knows shes sexy and takes pride in it, thats not fanservice. Random ass shots and boob shots is fanservice. They never sexualized Revy in that show. She was a good badass female with development and she might have sex appeal, but I'm not attracted to women so I wouldn't know.

I'm gonna be honest I don't think fan service ruins a character at all. It's just a ass shot how is that gonna ruin the development they have. Take the monogatari series as a example literally the best cast of female characters with fan service. A scene with some tits ain't gonna make their development disappear. Also not every girl has to be a badass to be a good character.

This is just my opinion though
Apr 8, 2022 8:33 PM

Nov 2020
Schwarznight said:
The coolest and strongest characters are the guys.

Well duh. I think they took inspiration from something called ‘real life’. Naturally men are several times stronger.
Apr 8, 2022 8:47 PM

Jul 2021
Schwarznight said:

That is not the issue, though. Like in Attack on Titan, for example, Historia, one of the main female characters, was reduced to a baby maker... She got impregnated by a guy who used to throw rocks at her... What is the mangaka trying to say here? Or what about Mikasa...who obsesses over Eren ...She has barely a will of her own. Even Levi, an ackerman, has more independence... This is not just lazy writing. This is downright offensive.

I think that the mangaka is trying to say that Historia is doing exactly what she set out to do - living a life on her terms and a life that she can be proud of. She has expectations as queen (marrying for objective reasons, governance) and she chose to fuck'em. She married a man who clearly isn't politically advantageous (so she probably loves him), is having a kid presumably to raise with all the love and attention she didn't get, and leaving experienced administrators to run Paradis. Her actions say that she is living life according to her own values.
Apr 8, 2022 8:57 PM
Jun 2016
DeepRiver said:
kizumi91 said:
That's why it's called Shounen. If you want some badass female characters, try watching Shoujo instead

Lmao, but the things Shojo offer arent simply the same, not to mention how a lot of these female shojo MC are a lot of time bland girly girls, and overwhelmed by these shitty male characters and their obnoxious abusive tropes.
exactly, shoujo MC are more trash then their shounen counter parts. Also males in shoujo series are written worse, they either abusive or obsessive.
Tbh females are written somewhat okay in shounen than in shoujo series.
Apr 8, 2022 8:58 PM

Jun 2009
shonen are an accurate depiction of reality
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime and Manga might be the worst medium ever at judging attractiveness.

isseixkoneko - 19 minutes ago

2 by FanofAction »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998 ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 6

98 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
5 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

98 by MichaelJackson »»
7 minutes ago

» is being possessive of an anime, a symbol of ur attachment to it?

BerriesSan - Yesterday

10 by vitor03 »»
9 minutes ago

» Who are your favorite canon couples? (Beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Mar 30

33 by Shirayukin »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.