Forum Settings
Forums

What anime was the biggest let down for you?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 29, 2022 4:19 AM

Dec 2016
Madoka Magica. I've heard so much about it. But i didn't like it, something was missing and i couldn't put my finger on it.
Jan 29, 2022 4:36 AM

May 2021
Monster, it was so high regarded and then I got really dissapointed because it wasnt even close to what I expected from a drama, psychological-crime/thriller show. 3/10 show for me.
Jan 29, 2022 5:23 AM
Jul 2020
boku no hero

I thought it would be cool but it's pretty boring
Jan 29, 2022 5:28 AM
Mar 2020
Honestly most of the time, I am pretty right about how I assume I would think about a show, until I watched Blue Period and it was one of the most dissapointing I've seen, it was really boring, lacking in story and the animation was just not good, and it honestly really hurt me because I was pretty excited for it. I'm pretty sure the manga is better though so I'm planning to do that soon
med_07Jan 29, 2022 5:31 AM
Jan 29, 2022 5:29 AM

Sep 2020
Aot s1, nisemonogatari, 86,takt op destiny, akame ga kill
Jan 29, 2022 5:31 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
steins gate was supposed to be my favorite thing ever

i mean its still pretty good

Jan 29, 2022 5:32 AM

Sep 2021
MAL_NeckbeardMod said:
Attack on Titan. Didn't deserve the amount of hype.

Nah, you just don't deserve AOT. Looks like you got things little mixed up there buddy
Jan 29, 2022 5:46 AM

Mar 2021
konosuba
I really enjoyed it, it was funny, but I heard a lot of people talking about it and saying its perfect, so I went in with very high expectations that weren't met, was hella funny, id be lying if I said I didn't find it entertaining
zemeckJan 29, 2022 5:50 AM
Jan 29, 2022 5:49 AM

Sep 2021
MazinIndian said:
Toradora (honestly if anyone likes this they actually need to understand that human emotions or humans don't work that way until and unless it's a very toxic and abusive environment, abusive girls/boys doesn't mean they love you, go out and touch some grass and talk to real people)

Wonder Egg Priority (this was the biggest let down, had so much hope but all failed)

SAO (Jesus syndrome ruined this show despite having a big list of characters)

Takt Op (Even with big studios it's shit but then it's a promotional anime for a game, won't play the game that's for sure now)

Sakugan

Star Driver

86 (S1)

BHNA (S3 onwards, had good moments but mostly let down)

Naruto Shippuuden (Apart from fillers ruining it, story could have went with more nuanced plot rather than overblowng everything in a stretched out story)

Seven Deadly Sins (Manga is good stick to it)

Promised Neverland (Anime from S2 is shit and manga after the goldy pond arc goes total dumspter fire)

Regarding your stance on Toradora. Why do you assume that to like the show, one must insert the characters into real life, just like it was in the anime? It's very much possible to enjoy the show and still understand basic human behaviour.
You need to understand that anime =/= reality. Just because you like certain character in a show doesn't mean you want them to exist by your side irl.
And if you don't understand this, it is you who needs to go out and touch some grass and talk to real people.
Jan 29, 2022 5:52 AM

Mar 2020
hmmm most probably kokoro connect,im a sucker for good romcom/slice of life shows bt this was just plain untolerable for me,at that time i had the 'never drop a show" policy so i went through that hell

2nd would be gintama i think,i cant really say mch abt it cuz i dropped it at episode 50 something bt idk man,some episodes were really good and some were kinda boring,the comedy was decent too bt i thought it would be like an instant 10/10 show for me bt it was like a 7 till ep 50 atleast,i'll probably pick it up again in the future bt rn i dont think its worh the time
Jan 29, 2022 6:05 AM

May 2021
Darrling in the franxx,i hoped for psychological mecha trip but all i got was just colorful mecha fighting bad blue dinosaurs until they understand that its not he dinosaurs who are bad,its the aliens.
Jan 29, 2022 6:10 AM

May 2021
Hubert_Blaine said:
MazinIndian said:
Toradora (honestly if anyone likes this they actually need to understand that human emotions or humans don't work that way until and unless it's a very toxic and abusive environment, abusive girls/boys doesn't mean they love you, go out and touch some grass and talk to real people)

Wonder Egg Priority (this was the biggest let down, had so much hope but all failed)

Takt Op (Even with big studios it's shit but then it's a promotional anime for a game, won't play the game that's for sure now)

Sakugan

Star Driver

86 (S1)

Naruto Shippuuden (Apart from fillers ruining it, story could have went with more nuanced plot rather than overblowng everything in a stretched out story)

Promised Neverland (Anime from S2 is shit and manga after the goldy pond arc goes total dumspter fire)

Regarding your stance on Toradora. Why do you assume that to like the show, one must insert the characters into real life, just like it was in the anime? It's very much possible to enjoy the show and still understand basic human behaviour.
You need to understand that anime =/= reality. Just because you like certain character in a show doesn't mean you want them to exist by your side irl.
And if you don't understand this, it is you who needs to go out and touch some grass and talk to real people.

Idk why they dont understand that anime shouldnt be taken that seriously,its an entertainment Medium,nothing has to be realistic to be good or entertaining....
Jan 29, 2022 6:19 AM
Oct 2020
Among the worldly popular ones, I would say My Teen Romantic Comedy didn't lived upto the hype
Jan 29, 2022 6:21 AM

Jun 2016
Hubert_Blaine said:
MazinIndian said:

Sakugan

Star Driver

86 (S1)

Lmao you got butt hurt and you enjoy characters like that so you need to touch grass, holy lord i never thought clowns like you exist. Enjoyment has nothing to do with toxic shit characters on screen and if i don't like it then its proof i am touching enough grass to realise that's a bad character trait. Stop defending abusive fictional bitches just because you don't get real bitches. And sorry as i know you got abused too so yeah never mind.
2023 might be the year where I will be happy. This year is not happy year.
Jan 29, 2022 6:36 AM

Jun 2020
Clannad After Story

The show was such an amazing anime that completely ruined everything in episode 22. Massive disappointment

x x x
Jan 29, 2022 6:54 AM

Apr 2020
Babylon (the first 7 episodes were good but from episode 8 it goes downhill)
Chaos;child (didn't expected a lot from 12 episodes but still they butchered it)
Psycho pass 2( the exact oposite of season 1)
Shadows house(the first episode was fine until they went original and made the plot a mess)
Jan 29, 2022 7:31 AM
Jun 2016
MAL_NeckbeardMod said:
Attack on Titan. Didn't deserve the amount of hype.
yo something is definitely wrong with you. Anyone can tell whether your post is legit or shit post, when they see your anime list
Jan 29, 2022 7:35 AM
Jun 2016
kenxox said:
mushkou tensei. 4/10 shit overhyped isekai. worst than school days
someone please smack this 12 year old.
Jan 29, 2022 7:56 AM
Sep 2020
Recently, Tokyo Ghoul: Re (Manga). It had promise initially, but it became so confusing and backwardly written that it really disappointed me.
Jan 29, 2022 8:05 AM

Jul 2017
Attack on titan season 4
A certain scientific railgun season 1 (alot of people. Were saying it's better than index s1 which it was not s2 sister arc lived up to expectations)
Jan 29, 2022 8:52 AM
Jan 2022
Godzilla: City on the edge of battle. The first movie was promising, but the this had some weird plot points, first we thought there was goin to be Mecha-Godzilla, turns out it was just a metal city that used to be Mecha-Godzilla, then some of the characters suddenly became religious and betrayed everyone, and there wasn't even any progress made on killing Godzilla Earth.
The only thing that made it interesting were the Godzilla scenes. I haven't bothered to watch the third film.
Jan 29, 2022 10:23 AM

Sep 2021
MazinIndian said:
Hubert_Blaine said:

Lmao you got butt hurt and you enjoy characters like that so you need to touch grass, holy lord i never thought clowns like you exist. Enjoyment has nothing to do with toxic shit characters on screen and if i don't like it then its proof i am touching enough grass to realise that's a bad character trait. Stop defending abusive fictional bitches just because you don't get real bitches. And sorry as i know you got abused too so yeah never mind.

"and you enjoy characters like that"
Not sure how you got to that conclusion, I've never said I liked these characters. If you can explain that, please do, I'm curious as to what mental gymnastics you performed to come to that verdict.

"so you need to touch grass"
Again, you draw the connection that because I like these characters, I do not understand basic human behaviour and therefore need to touch grass. I get that, it's just that I tried to explain to you anime is not reality. Thus, it's possible to understand both realistic behaviour and anime behaviour. Though I guess it's my fault for thinking that explaining this concept will touch upon your puny brain and change your view.

"Enjoyment has nothing to do with toxic shit characters on screen"
Who are you to define what people can and cannot enjoy?

"Stop defending abusive fictional bitches just because you don't get real bitches."
Whether you're right or wrong about the latter part of that sentence is besides the point. You draw the conclusion I'm defending "abusive fictional bitches" because of a reason you're not even entirely sure you're correct about. You most likely chose that reason because it sounded good and telling people they don't get bitches is not a bad move on internet debate. But I might be wrong about that... Also, it seems like you don't quite understand my position here. I am not defending "abusive fictional bitches", I am defending the idea that it's possible to enjoy a type of anime whilst having the concepts of that anime be disconnected from your brain during real life interactions. Then again, for that to be true, you need to first have a brain. Something that apparently poses quite the challenge in your case.

"And sorry as i know you got abused too so yeah never mind. "
Oh dear, it looks like we have mister FAANG over here, who knows every little single detail about my life. At least you apologized for it, I appreciate that. Apology accepted.

Jan 29, 2022 10:28 AM

Apr 2020
Code Geass, I finished S1, but the S2 yeahhhh no
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Jan 29, 2022 10:41 AM

Dec 2020
Toradora

other people like it, but i regretted watching it
Jan 29, 2022 10:49 AM

Sep 2018
For me probably Wolf Children since I liked nothing about that movie at all. I have no idea how it made top 100 other than pretty colors. Lol
Jan 29, 2022 10:50 AM
Sep 2015
Platinum End

It is from the same author from Death Note and Bakuman, the anime is mediocre at best.

It started promising but now YIKES.
Jan 29, 2022 11:01 AM

Sep 2008
kill la kill. knowing imaishi's track record I expected something amazing. I held out, hoping the finale will be worth it at least. it was worse than everything up to that point combined.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jan 29, 2022 11:14 AM

Mar 2018
My most recent would be Monster, it was long as hell and ending so depressing. Though I liked it but I was kind of frustrated in the middle to end.
GorenkoJan 29, 2022 11:20 AM
Jan 29, 2022 11:28 AM

May 2020
Hunter x Hunter

To go from the goated York New arc to the chimera arc, man that was hard to watch
Jan 29, 2022 4:26 PM
Aug 2021
Wonderegg like many people might had suggested
Jan 29, 2022 6:20 PM

Feb 2019
Death Note was pretty bad. (All of it)

Akame Ga Kill, I already heard was shit, but I atleast expected it to be somewhat entertaining. Well not only did it turned out to be absolute trash, all it ended making me feel is pure cringe afterall.

Toradora, I thought would be some well-written realistic romance seeing how highly-praised it is. But this one also turned out to be pure garbage. Oh well, atleast it was entertaining.
Jan 30, 2022 9:23 AM
Jul 2021
SiGow said:
kenxox said:
mushkou tensei. 4/10 shit overhyped isekai. worst than school days
someone please smack this 12 year old.

*15 year old thanks
and yeah I am not the only person with this opinion. there are many others
Jan 30, 2022 10:12 AM

Jun 2008
Gundam Unicorn. It started out very strong with the initial first episode, but it quickly descended into a messy experience that went pure-DBZ in places with all the Newtype magic.
Jan 30, 2022 5:43 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
Monogatari series. I hate the way it's directed. The only reason anyone would like Araragi or any other male character is because of their VAs (they're all popular/veteran seiyuus). Plus, most of the girls just exist to be Araragi's cumdump XDXDXDXD.
Jan 30, 2022 5:48 PM
Jan 2021
It's Plunderer for me. Had a great premise in the first episode and just fell flat later on. It's not the worst anime i've seen but i'm just disappointed it didn't live up to expectations
Jan 30, 2022 6:10 PM

Aug 2017
Sounds like another most overrated anime thread but with a different name.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 30, 2022 6:29 PM

May 2015
Steins Gate and Haruhi Suzumiya ( kinda the same reason as they could have been revolutionary when they aired, but I watched them too late. It felt like they didn't do anything original)
Is this a zombie? (had quite a following, too painful to continue to watch)
Kokoro Connect (many say it is a really good romance series, but it didn't do anything particularly interesting. Maybe the powers?)
Jan 30, 2022 6:45 PM

Jul 2012
I was expecting great things from Blood Lad after enjoying the manga but the anime was so bland and boring. A real shame.
Also, The Promised Neverland for not following the manga route and cutting one of the best arcs in the series. I was so gutted when I was watching it and realised that arc wasn’t going to happen.
And like you said, the Angels of Death anime wasn’t great. The manga adaption is much better if you want to see more content of the characters after finishing the game.
Jan 30, 2022 10:28 PM

May 2017
Code geass is the most recent one. I was very excited to start a top 50 show. the action is good, there a couple of interesting twists. but overall it's just very edgy and kinda generic with wafer thin characters. at least with S1.
Jan 31, 2022 6:28 AM

Dec 2014
Steins;Gate ... I put it on my watch list for years, saw hype everywhere, saying that is a smart anime for people who are into science... I like science, got into physics and quantum mechanics... so when I finally watched the anime, I didn't like it. I felt that it had too many plot holes, and a lot of the concepts used there were like made by people who watched a youtube video about quantum physics and time travel and put them in their scenarios. So it was a disappointment.

Medakka Box ... I love the manga, is one of my top 5. The anime adaptation is an insult. And is made even worse by the fact that it ended right where the story was truly starting, and the best character was introduced.

Renai Bokun - another top 5 manga of mine, with a shitty anime adaptation.

Blue Period - I put away reading the manga because I saw the anime was coming. But the anime is crap. And now I can't find the first 3 volumes of the manga anywhere.

Every major harem manga those days... I feel that I invest so many years, only for the protagonist to chose the least interesting girl in the bunch. He needs to choose the best girl or go for the harem route. Are thank god I didn't bother with To Love-Ru Darkness... can you imagine, investing so many years, just for it to end exactly like the first one, with absolutely no conclusion at all?
Feb 1, 2022 2:23 AM

May 2016
stardust crusaders, what they did to joseph i will never forgive
Feb 1, 2022 2:59 AM

Oct 2008
I could say

since I was hoping it would resemble "Shuumatsu no Harem" or some other erotic anime.

But honestly I don't know.
Feb 18, 2022 9:37 PM
Jul 2021
Mushoku Tensei. It was a disappointment for me, mainly how my friends were talking about it. When I watched it, I realized that I was just wasting my time.
Feb 18, 2022 10:06 PM

Jul 2021
Nagatoro for me. I watched it a few months after it finished airing because everyone was talking about it and it was decently rated as well. I watch romcom shows mostly so I was bound to run into Nagatoro at some point but when I watched it man what a snooze fest, boring af. The only reason I even stayed and watched all of it's episodes was because I'm a completionist and it irks me if I drop an anime. Honestly, it was painful to keep watching, it got a little interesting near the end and then the season was over.

I have high hopes for season 2 though, let's see how it turns out to be.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Feb 18, 2022 10:26 PM
Jul 2021
Sentouin, Hakenshimasu! it's not even close Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
Feb 18, 2022 10:45 PM

Jan 2022
In terms of manga, I guess I'd go with Katekyo hitman Reborn. I expected more, but it really was just a normal shounen. I also expected the female characters to be more relevant than in other series (according to what I heard), but it was worse.
For lesser known anime, Battle spirits Burning Soul was incredibly generic, and I had liked most of the seasons prior.
For more well known anime, the biggest one would be, I guess, Angel Beats. I didn't understand what the show was trying to do.
Saint Seiya/Fist of the north star are older stuff that I didn't really like. Particularly they have awful plots.
Bebop was meh, and so was Tiger and Bunny. The only recent hero shows I like are parodies though, so that didn't help. Kuroko was dissapointing (after I watched Haikyuu).
There were others of course, but those are the biggest.
Oh, and Space battleship yamato Warriors of love (2202). Yamato 2199 was really great, but 2202 was below average.
Feb 19, 2022 1:37 AM
Jul 2018
Demon slayer

Erased

Castlevania (not technically an anime, but its close).
Feb 19, 2022 1:49 AM

Feb 2021
Don't suppose it counts as a biggest letdown when I'm made aware of its deteriorating quality beforehand, but to name a few:

• Mars Red
• Kids on the Slope
• Le Chevalier D'Eon
• Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

Feb 19, 2022 3:54 PM
Mar 2021
yagate kimi ni naru. in theory it would be just right for me. i tried to complete it multiple times. i just cant. its SO boring

tate no yuusha. as soon as filo entered the chat, she ruined the entire anime
Feb 19, 2022 9:21 PM

Oct 2019
To resurrect this forum, I will say Wonder Egg Priority.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» What cartoon did you come to learn was actually anime

JaniSIr - Yesterday

30 by Lucifrost »»
10 minutes ago

» Most attractive seiyuus?

Mattenan - 4 hours ago

12 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
14 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998

Iron_Leopard - Yesterday

38 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you unironically think that hentai can be art? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Mar 11

61 by LoveYourSmile »»
27 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

99 by Anjuro »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.