Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 30, 2019 8:42 PM

Feb 2019
Not a metalhead but I have a question for metalheads. If you can't understand the lyrics, do you move on to another band or stick with what you're listening to for their instrumental presence?
Jul 31, 2019 7:43 AM

Mar 2019
SamHandwich said:
Not a metalhead but I have a question for metalheads. If you can't understand the lyrics, do you move on to another band or stick with what you're listening to for their instrumental presence?

Or I can just... look up the lyrics? Other than that if their instrumentals are enjoyable, then sure.

Anyways, I'm typically into:

New wave of British Heavy Metal
Thrash
Death
Black (although mainly stuff from the 70s-90s)
J-metal

and if it's from around the 80s, I'll probably enjoy that as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2019 8:08 AM
Jul 2018
I used to listen to a lot of metal when I was a kid, like around 8-12 years old. We had a whole room dedicated to vinyls with a big stereo setup. I still listen to it but not as much cuz my taste has really broadened since then.

Favs: The Human Abstract, Serj Tankian, Tool, Berserkyd, Opeth, Ghost, Children of Bodom, Ensiferum, Megadeth, King Diamond, In Flames, Wintersun, and The Algorithm if they count.

Some of these bands are mad nostalgic for me cuz I used to listen to them as a kid.
Jul 31, 2019 8:50 AM

Feb 2018
SamHandwich said:

I mostly listen to music for instrumentals, to relax.
If I can understand the lyrics and they're too edgy like Attila, I'll most likely delete the song because it's laughable and distracting.
Jul 31, 2019 2:54 PM

Feb 2018
Black (although mainly stuff from the 70s-90s).

1970's black metal. Um, ok (No, not even Venom counts for this).
Aug 1, 2019 4:11 AM
May 2019
I don't mind metal as long as it's not a ear rape death/trash metal.
Aug 1, 2019 6:18 AM

Feb 2019
I went through a huge metal phase during my teenager years and I still like metal (for the most part, industrial or trash) to this day, even if I have not been listening to it much. My favourites are mostly german bands (Rammstein, Oomph!, Eisbrecher, Megaherz, Blind Guardian).
Aug 2, 2019 1:45 PM

Nov 2016
Not sure where to advertise this masterpiece so I'll go here.

Came across this today. Absolutely mesmerized. I love these slow, heavy, sludgy, melodious, riffs.
Aug 3, 2019 6:17 AM
Jul 2018
Hisowa said:
I just got back into metal so it's hard to find any good bands, so I just listen to the stuff I used to like until I come across good songs.

Some examples are:

Avenged sevenfold
BMTH
Slipknot
Meshuggah
In this moment
Lost prophet
Three days grace
Metallica
Iron maiden

watch out for lost prophets, their lead singer was convicted for being a kid diddler iirc
Aug 11, 2019 10:49 AM
Apr 2016
I play in a Finnish metal band that mixes metal with manga/anime elements. We're all huge metal fans but we don't see many bands attempting this combination.
Aug 11, 2019 11:26 AM

Apr 2017
Tough to say. Generally death, doom, speed, some symphonic, 2hu metal.

Favorite bands:
Ghost
Dehumanizing Itatrain Worship
Rings of Saturn
IRON ATTACK
Huntress
iwrestledabearonce

I went to a Slayer show recently and suddenly remembered I didn't like thrash metal.
Awoo :3
Aug 11, 2019 2:47 PM

Aug 2018
I haven't delved much into sub genres of metal. I still do love it though. By far my favourite Metal band is Maximum the Hormone, they're just so good that I haven't found a need to seek out more metal bands.
My signature banner is a mess, but hey, so is my life, so it's just keeping to the theme.

Aug 12, 2019 6:14 AM

Apr 2017
Hisowa said:
I just got back into metal so it's hard to find any good bands, so I just listen to the stuff I used to like until I come across good songs.

Some examples are:

Avenged sevenfold
BMTH
Slipknot
Meshuggah
In this moment
Lost prophet
Three days grace
Metallica
Iron maiden

Some okay stuff there but there's far more to offer than radio-hits. Explore the subgenres and find one you like. Branch from there.
Awoo :3
Aug 13, 2019 12:07 PM

Oct 2018
Being a metalhead since my childhood I tried out pretty much everything metal has to offer. First things first, you can't be a metalhead without appreciating the Heavy Metal roots. I know some people who are like "Oh man I love Bullet for my Valentine. Judas Priest? Gtfo with this old shit."

So definitely heavy metal comes first. My all time favorite metal band is and will ever be Motörhead. If you count it as a metal band, Rammstein comes before Motörhead. After that comes Black Metal, though I didn't listen to a lot of Black Metal the last months cause I kind of have a burnout from it. Favorite bands here are for example:

Burzum
Tsjuder
Taake
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult
Archgoat
Inquisition
Bethlehem
Urgehal

I also listen to Thrash, Doom, Death, Glam, Gothic...

Genres I really can't stand are Metalcore (I don't consider it metal in the first place), Power Metal, Folk Metal (it's too much 'let's party and drink', but I guess that's what people like about it), Symphonic Metal.
Aug 13, 2019 1:30 PM

Nov 2016
Benji-kun said:
I play in a Finnish metal band that mixes metal with manga/anime elements. We're all huge metal fans but we don't see many bands attempting this combination.

I was expecting to be disappointed but damn. That was great lol. Much better than vanilla Jpop imo.
Aug 13, 2019 2:54 PM
Apr 2016
Haha thanks xD
Yeah we're on a mission to make this work haha
Tell your friends, we'd really appreciate it!
Aug 13, 2019 4:49 PM

Aug 2019
Jesus Piece
Counterparts
Spite
Fit for a King
Crystal Lake
Babymetal
TDWP
Underoath
Thy art is Murder
WhiteChapel
Tool
Slipknot
Meshuggah
I like hardcore more nowadays
Aug 16, 2019 6:42 AM
Aug 2019
Guess from my name.

Other faves include Running Wild, Blind Guardian, Virgin Steele, Type O Negative (Carnivore), Cradle of Filth, and Bal-Sagoth.
Aug 16, 2019 1:16 PM

Nov 2016
Mostly Melodeth and Power Metal
Aug 16, 2019 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
Progressive death metal and melodic death metal. Opeth (pre-2011) and Dark Tranquillity respectively.
Aug 19, 2019 2:06 PM

Oct 2018

Hipster Black Metal - 2019 A Cringy year in Metal so far... (Cringe Compilation)

Aug 20, 2019 4:51 AM

Oct 2018
Mila91 said:

Hipster Black Metal - 2019 A Cringy year in Metal so far... (Cringe Compilation)

My God there is really some embarrassing stuff in there...
Aug 20, 2019 6:28 AM
Jul 2018
umm...you could always just look up the lyrics in case you don't understand what the vocalist is saying
it's really not that big a deal
Aug 20, 2019 7:28 AM

Oct 2018
@goathead Its totally crazy lol

The world we live in today.

Aug 21, 2019 8:59 AM
Jul 2018
Mostly Genres ending with 'Core and Grind. Metalcore, Deathcore, Grindcore, Goregrind, Deathgrind. I love harsh and intense music. I can also appreciate some Slower stuff Like Stoner/Sludge music like Electric Wizard. Depends on the mood. i also love electronic music.

https://last.fm/user/landofdeath
Aug 25, 2019 10:02 PM

Jan 2015
Well, my most listened sub-genre is power metal and classic heavy metal so I guess that is my favorite.

Favorite bands (not exclusive to power metal)

Angra
Black Sabbath (Dio and Tony Martin era)
Candlemass
Children Of Bodom
Dio
Helloween
Gamma Ray
Nightwish
Opeth
Stratovarius
Symphony X

Favorite albums? man, I have a lot.

Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys I and II (this is my #1)

Angra - Angels Cry
Angra - Rebirth
Angra - Temple Of Shadows
Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
Black Sabbath - Eternal Idol
Black Sabbath - Headless Cross
Black Sabbath - TYR
Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes
Candlemass - Nightfall
Candlemass - Tales Of Creation
Cannibal Corpse - The Bleeding
Children Of Bodom - Something Wild
Children Of Bodom - Hatebreeder
Children Of Bodom - Follow The Reaper
Dark Moor - The Hall Of The Olden Dreams
Dark Moor - The Gates Of Oblivion
Death - Symbolic
Death - Sound Of Perseverance
Dio - Holy Diver
Dio - The Last In Line
Dio - Dream Evil
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Fear Factory - Obsolete
Fear Factory - Archetype
Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out In Space
Gamma Ray - No World Order
Loudness - The Law Of Devil's Land
Loudness - Disillusion
Loudness - Thunder In The East
Loudness - Hurricane Eyes
Loudness - Soldier Of Fortune
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick
Morbid Angel - Covenant
Nightwish - Oceanborn
Nightwish - Wishmaster
Nightwish - Century Child
Opeth - Still Life
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Deliverance
Stratovarius - Twilight Time
Stratovarius - Dreamspace
Stratovarius - Episode
Stratovarius - Destiny
Symphony X - The Damnation Game
Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
Symphony X - Twilight In Olympus
Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
Symphony X - The Odyssey
Yngwie Malmsteen - Trilogy
Yngwie Malmsteen - Odyssey
Yngwie Malmsteen - Magnum Opus
Kurohoshi_Aug 25, 2019 10:07 PM
Jan 13, 2020 10:41 PM

Aug 2012
I've already posted here but I just wanna share my most listened song of 2019

I love Exhumed, I just wish they would re-add the better Carcass albums back into spotify.
???????
Jan 13, 2020 10:51 PM

Aug 2012
SamHandwich said:
I see the death/black metal vocals as another instrument to the music as added vocalized aggression for death metal and vocalized dark ambiance for black metal so I enjoy the music regardless if I know the lyrics or not.

I mostly listen to death metal these days but as a metal fan these past years I've been able to decipher and understand a lot of the vocals out of experience with the genres.
???????
Jan 14, 2020 12:12 AM

Nov 2012

I'm not the hugest metalhead—I'm not familiar with all the subgenres and movements, I just know I tend to like the heavier stuff. It ends up being mostly death metal & some punk-adjacent subgenres like grindcore or powerviolence

Somehow most of the contemporary metal (and metal-adjacent) bands I ended up digging were Australian, here's a few bands/albums—

ConvulsingErrata, Grievous & their Split with SHS
Diploid Everything Went Red, Glorify & "Is God Up There?" —among others
Slave Births/t
Golgothan RemainsPerverse Offerings to the Void
Siberian Hell SoundsSvengali, ⍲⍕⍎⍱ & their eponymous album
Blight Worms I
SuppressantCasual Brutality
ScythelordToxic Minds

—then there's always some comedy metal, intentional or not

I also have an appreciation for the 'classics' (Dio, Ozzy, Sabbath, Judas Priest, Maiden, Loudness etc.)

last.fm / recent albums / twitter
Jan 14, 2020 12:24 AM

Jun 2009
I like most metal sub-genres genres. But the genres I like the most are black, melodic death and tech death. Those sub-genres do not represent my complete music taste, nor does metal as a whole.

Here's some bands, randomly plucked:

- Opeth
- Ne Obliviscaris
- Allegaeon
- Rivers of Nihil
- Soilwork
- In Flames (Clayman and older, mostly)
- Be'lakor
- Alcest
- Arcturus
- Ulver (probably my favourite band (they are my forum avatar), tied with NeO)
- At the Gates
- Dark Tranquility
- Dissection
- Necrophagist
- Burzum
- Agalloch

If you ever find your way to my last.fm, note that it is very outdated.
Jan 16, 2020 11:10 AM
Jul 2018
I am not a metalhead but I do listen to some metal. I only listen to black and doom metal. For doom I only listen to gothic and the rare hard to find industrial doom metal. As for black metal I only really like 1st wave and post. 2nd wave is ok I guess but overrated imo.
Jan 16, 2020 11:12 AM

Oct 2018
Can't go wrong with Metallica.

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Jan 22, 2020 1:50 PM

Aug 2015
Favorite Bands and Albums:

Slipknot - Iowa
Korn - Follow the Leader
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Tool - 10,000 Days
Seether - Karma and Effect
Breaking Benjiman - Valora
Disturbed - Indestructible
Five Finger Death Punch - A Decade of Destruction
In This Moment - Black Widow
Rammstein - Mutter
Metal, games, and good friends make life worth living
Discord: kingkrazy#0336
Jan 25, 2020 10:27 AM

Aug 2014
I probably messaged here before. Honestly, I don't remember.

Recently I got into a lot of hipster stuff like post-metal and blackgaze, but I also have some history with the classics, thrash, death, prog and stoner metal. So at the moment I most listen to Baroness, Deafheaven, Ghost & Cult of Luna.

Jan 31, 2020 3:12 PM

Sep 2017
I listen to most genres of music, but if i had to choose from sub genres of metal.
I like heavy, speed, core, folk, progressive and power metal.

Bands that i like to listen to:

Iron Maiden
Evergrey
System of a down
Trivium
Rage Against the Machine
Rhapsody of Fire
Rise Against
Avenged sevenfold
Metalica
Dragonforce
Jan 31, 2020 6:18 PM

Apr 2019
I find myself looking for unique sounds and structures, and as much as I love all genres of metal, it's these weird meshes of styles that fascinate me the most.

Pin-Up Went Down

Unexpect

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

大好き "I just want to be an ancient demigod loli"
Feb 1, 2020 2:05 PM

Jan 2020
I'm into most metal genres, but my favourites are death, doom, black and prog. Some bands I'm into: Paradise Lost, Isis, Morbid Angel, Bolt Thrower, Enslaved, Neurosis, Thergothon, Godflesh, Darkthrone, Ulcerate, Dolorian, Incantation, Carcass, Sigh, Cynic.
Feb 4, 2020 5:42 AM

Mar 2019
Like everyone else in this thread, I'm just gonna say that I like pretty much every subgenre of metal. The songs I listen to don't really adhere to genre, as I just put on anything that I like. If I really had to pick, it'd probably be power, folk, or deathcore. Something that I can name more concretely, however, are my favourite bands, which will probably give you a better insight into my favourte subgenres anyway: Shadow of Intent, Equilibrium, Babymetal, Sabaton, Beast in Black, Demetori, & Æther Realm. Some of these bands also have my favourite albums, including Reclaimer by Shadow of Intent, Tarot by Æther Realm, Metal Resistance by Babymetal, and Berserker by Beast in Black.

moe_sama said:
I find myself looking for unique sounds and structures, and as much as I love all genres of metal, it's these weird meshes of styles that fascinate me the most.

Pin-Up Went Down

Unexpect

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

I do the same for other genres of music, but not really metal, so I think I should probably try expanding my repertoire a bit. Thanks for the links, cause they sound pretty sweet. I'm gonna give their other releases a listen now
Feb 4, 2020 8:08 AM

Oct 2017
I'm all for THRASH metal, but I carry on with any subgenre.

Megadeth.
Iron Maiden.
System of a Down.
Sepultura. (Max era)
Kreator.
Annihilator.
Rammstein.
Dark Angel.
Vio-lence.
Possessed.
Exumer.

There are many others, so I'll post my fine point of metal here.

''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Feb 4, 2020 9:34 AM
Feb 2020
Favorite subgenre - Metalcore
Favorite band - I Prevail
Favorite album - WANYK (We are not your kind) by Slipknot
6 + 9 = 420 🙃
Feb 8, 2020 10:52 AM

Jul 2015
I like symphonic metal the best.

Favorite bands and albums:

Nightwish - Century Child (though my favorite song is Master Passion Greed from the Dark Passion Play album)
Wintersun - Time
Kamelot - The Black Halo

I like Ne Obliviscaris as well, though I wouldn't consider them symphonic metal just because they have a violin.
Feb 8, 2020 11:36 AM

Jan 2017
Everything except Death/Black/Power/Thrash/Nu/Techno/Industrial-Metal and Dream Theater.
Feb 8, 2020 1:05 PM
Jul 2018
no love for Volumes? okay.
Feb 8, 2020 3:19 PM
Feb 2020
I only listen to Brazilian band ECHOES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NdofmoIO30
All other of metal is a false and a gay.
Hillary_Clinton_Feb 8, 2020 3:24 PM
Feb 15, 2020 7:54 PM

Dec 2018
Hillary_Clinton_ said:
I only listen to Brazilian band ECHOES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NdofmoIO30
All other of metal is a false and a gay.

He's absolutely right.
Feb 16, 2020 4:09 PM

Jun 2011
It's such a pleasure to see my metalhead brothers. I'm not into metal much like I used to but still metal never dies!

@Fate_Saber88 Back in the day, I was all about thrash as well. I still sometimes listen Slayer and Testament. Especially Testament. I appriciate their music even more now. Flawless band.
Feb 16, 2020 5:21 PM

Dec 2018
EpicSaxGuy said:
It's such a pleasure to see my metalhead brothers. I'm not into metal much like I used to but still metal never dies!

@Fate_Saber88 Back in the day, I was all about thrash as well. I still sometimes listen Slayer and Testament. Especially Testament. I appriciate their music even more now. Flawless band.

Actually listening to the first two Testament LP's repeatedly.
Feb 16, 2020 5:40 PM

Jun 2011
OGRECOCK said:
EpicSaxGuy said:

Actually listening to the first two Testament LP's repeatedly.

Yeah, total bangers. My favourite is Practice What You Preach. An absolute masterpiece.
Feb 16, 2020 6:44 PM

Aug 2009
I'm a disciple of Chuck Schuldiner.

Feb 16, 2020 7:05 PM

Jun 2011
@FacelessVixen Hell yeah, Chuck was a god-tier musician. Very few albums can reach the brilliance of Symbolic.

Rest In Peace. Gone but not forgotten.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3523 by dreamingneon »»
1 hour ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7848 by Azulmagia88 »»
2 hours ago

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4847 by Kizuki01 »»
2 hours ago

» last.fm

Eikonomachia - Mar 8

17 by Kizuki01 »»
3 hours ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Apr 26

95 by 3miL »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.