Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 13, 2018 1:22 PM

Apr 2012
Oh, it looked like a cocktail from AnoHana, Evangelion, the Pacific Rim, Bokurano and Your Name. But the show interested me, so I definitely will wait for the continuation. I hope that it will be as gloomy as the classic mecha series.
Jan 13, 2018 1:25 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Seems like a nice mecha anime with good production values. Character designs are nice too and the background music is great. I'm always into some glorious hand-drawn mecha action, so count me in! The characters themselves are kinda ehh. The premise itself is kinda ehh. Some of the generic/cliche moments are kinda ehh. But the episode itself felt more than "ehh" because of its sense of style.

3/5
GoldenDevilGamerJan 13, 2018 3:42 PM
Jan 13, 2018 1:26 PM

Jun 2016
Yeah, it started and started good, showed a little of the Gainax/Trigger's craziness and epicness. I hope them keep that way, bring it the fuck on, I'M READY FOR MORE!
Jan 13, 2018 1:30 PM
Jun 2017
Great start, interesting setting, looks ambitious, and a bland protagonist with a lot of room for the development. Everything else is above average if we compare with a lot of anime in this season. Obviously, my number one watchlist in this season.
Jan 13, 2018 1:31 PM

Sep 2010
It had to be done. Trigger doesn't disappoint.
Jan 13, 2018 1:34 PM

Sep 2016
Looks like this anime will be interesting to watch. I got the Trigger vibes already and 002 is a peculiar character. Can't wait to see how the story progresses
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2018 1:39 PM

Nov 2012
gomennasai said:
The animation is great, the music is good, the action is intense, but everything else... I don't know where to start. The whole premise is a big fucking NOPE. I hate that fucking perverted doctor already and I have the feeling he's supposed to be a good guy. I guess I should have been wary when they announced Yabuki Kentarou's involvement.

Yabuki is only the artist for the manga.

Btw if you're referring to To Love Ru, he's not the writer there either.
Jan 13, 2018 1:40 PM
Jul 2016
For most of this episode I was thinking "Yeah... this is pretty good." which is my usual thoughts around A-1 shows. And then Trigger happened.

The moment the music picked up and Hiro got into the Franxx, I remembered that Trigger is involved in this because their fingerprints were ALL over that fight and I can't wait for more.
Jan 13, 2018 1:42 PM

Aug 2017
The first episode was quite nice, Had action, A bit of explaining etc. I'm definitely looking forward to the whole anime itself, But the MC's character did feel quite back-bone less, out of structure as a character and that same treating that one girl who gave almost a lot for you (I guess that one girl who left him did?), But you cockblocked her all the way, But when a sudden red hair chick pop's outta nowhere and you give everything for her mentality, Which most of the time ruins anime's for me, Like Guilty Crown and SAO did for me. Hope it doesn't end up like that.
Jan 13, 2018 1:43 PM

Dec 2016
I only knew about this recently because it was announced as an upcoming set for WS so I thought I might as well give it a watch to see if it's any good.

We aren't supposed to lick ourselves clean, that's a cat.

He just picked up her underwear without even bothering to check what he grabbed.

Well at least she thought it was funny, actually after that next scene she is a crazy girl.

I had a feeling he would want to get in there and fight with her, he got a kiss after all.

Oh wow it evolved, glad the doctor explained why.

It was interesting enough to make me want to watch more.
Jan 13, 2018 1:55 PM

Nov 2014
I'm tired of these uninteresting MCs. He might as well be one of those JRPG characters that don't speak.
The one that deserves that role is always second fiddle.
Jan 13, 2018 1:58 PM

Dec 2013
Great Episode! I was hooked since minute one! 002 is best girl this season if this keeps up and I just love the ending fight! 9/10 for the first EP.
Jan 13, 2018 2:05 PM

Feb 2013
Jesus, people already talking shit. The first episode is entirely made by A1, not Trigger. Also, this isn't a trigger show.

gomennasai said:
The animation is great, the music is good, the action is intense, but everything else... I don't know where to start. The whole premise is a big fucking NOPE. I hate that fucking perverted doctor already and I have the feeling he's supposed to be a good guy. I guess I should have been wary when they announced Yabuki Kentarou's involvement.

Yabuki is only involved in the manga.
Jan 13, 2018 2:11 PM
Dec 2017
It's true that the other characters except for Zero Two look plain and have lack of originality, but the animation looks promising and the story is decent so far. So I will keep going to see how this goes :)
Jan 13, 2018 2:12 PM

Apr 2008
JokerJoestar said:
gomennasai said:

I know. But the creators knew what they were doing when they sought him out.

EDIT: To put everything in context, my problem is not nudity. I liked Kill La Kill a lot, for example. It's the FranXX system. It's been designed by a fellow who's shown at the very beginning to be a fucking molester. He designed his robots this way because he's a pervert who can't keep his grabby hands for himself. And we're supposed to be rooting for him. Sorry, but no.
gomennasaiJan 13, 2018 2:24 PM
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Jan 13, 2018 2:14 PM

Jun 2017
Holy shit, the hype train of the season is here.
I'm a shitposter for fun
Jan 13, 2018 2:19 PM

May 2015
gomennasai said:

The butt grabbing was obviously a joke. No need to triggered.

Jan 13, 2018 2:19 PM

Nov 2017
I don't like mechas, but this first episode was awesome, looking reeeeally forward to it
Jan 13, 2018 2:25 PM

Apr 2008
Kittens-kun said:
gomennasai said:

See my reply above.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Jan 13, 2018 2:26 PM

Aug 2012
I thought it is similar to Zoids but it became gundam.

Anyway its good I could feel KLK vibes on FranXX transformation I just hope MC would grow on this series.
Jan 13, 2018 2:29 PM

Jul 2013
eh, it was an alright first episode. solid 7/10. i like the sci fi elements - i was worried they were going to copy evangelion & pacrim too heavily, but i have faith it'll develop its own identity during its run.

i like the roster of characters so far, with 24 episodes i hope we get an episode dedicated to each one instead of them all being cardboard standee's in the background and the show only focusing on the main couple!

the things that kind of detracted from my enjoyment was the abundance of fanservice (i expected it going into it though lol with trigger and a1 at the helm, but still) and the corny script writing... mc feels like a bastard child of eren jaeger and shinji ikari LMAO

edit: i knew i was forgetting something! i also REALLY hope this doesn't devolve into relationship melodrama like kiznaiver, re:creators, nagi no asukara (and more) did... it would suck for all this worldbuilding to be cast aside for stupid angst shit.
fishpunJan 13, 2018 2:44 PM
Jan 13, 2018 2:33 PM

Feb 2015
That was simply epic. Definitely fulfilled my expectations.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Jan 13, 2018 2:33 PM

Mar 2017
caio_ken said:
Jesus, people already talking shit. The first episode is entirely made by A1, not Trigger. Also, this isn't a trigger show.

gomennasai said:

How is this entire episode A-1? Hiroyuki Imaishi is the action director for this series. He would have been involved with action in this first episode and probably this entire series... Just the mecha transformation and Zero Two design alone is all heavily trigger as well as the ending action sequence.
Jan 13, 2018 2:35 PM

May 2015
gomennasai said:
Kittens-kun said:

See my reply above.

Ok? What am I supposed to be seeing? It still looks liie you're triggered.

Jan 13, 2018 2:36 PM

Apr 2008
Kittens-kun said:
gomennasai said:

See my reply above.

Ok? What am I supposed to be seeing? It still looks liie your triggered.

And I have every right to do so :)
Jan 13, 2018 2:37 PM

May 2015
gomennasai said:
Kittens-kun said:

Ok? What am I supposed to be seeing? It still looks liie your triggered.

And I have every right to do so :)

Not really. You're complaining about basically nothing.

Jan 13, 2018 2:38 PM

Aug 2012
Kittens-kun said:
gomennasai said:

My biggest gripe with it is that it just wasn't that funny
Oh well
Jan 13, 2018 2:41 PM

Apr 2008
@Kittens-kun I'm pretty sure it was nothing to those people who experienced it firsthand :)
Jan 13, 2018 2:43 PM
Jun 2016
Hibikase said:
Out of all the Trigger shows I have seen (Kill la Kill, Kiznaiver, Little Witch Academia, Space Patrol Luluco), this one definitely has the weakest first episode out of all of them.

I guess I just really hate how infuriatingly generic the main character looks and acts. Comparing to all the other protagonists from Trigger, he definitely seems the weakest with very little redeeming qualities or intrigue behind his characterization (and yes, even Katsuhira, at least his character LOOKED like someone put effort behind it). Would it have killed the character designers to at least put SOME sort of interesting features like a birth mark or a scar or idk, multicolored eyes to distinguish him from ANY OTHER GENERIC ANIME PROTAGONIST WITH FLAT BLACK HAIR OUT THERE?

In terms of visual department, this show is not as over the top and stylized as Kill la Kill and Luluco, not as elegantly beautiful like Kiznaiver, and not as uniquely charming as Little Witch Academia. It looks fine, and is well animated, but fails to really stand out. The setting is also doing no favors for the show thus far. However, I do dig the designs of the mecha and the "klaxosaurs."

I'm going to continue with this show with trepidation and optimism that it will improve as time goes by. The story does have potential of becoming something great. I love Studio Trigger and every creative work that they have done so far, and I do NOT wish that this show to be an exception, but with so much influence and participation by A-1 (a studio known to produce a mixed bag of quality in their works), can this even be considered a Trigger show?

Only time will tell I guess :/

First EP is Great i seen all those shows and this had a better start IMO
Jan 13, 2018 2:46 PM

May 2015
BawkBawkBwoom said:
Kittens-kun said:

My biggest gripe with it is that it just wasn't that funny
Oh well

You don't have to find it funny. I'm just pointing out that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

@gomennasai LOL. You're hilarious bro.

Jan 13, 2018 2:55 PM

Apr 2008
@Kittens-kun Look, I get it. It was meant to be a non-serious moment. It's not like I'm dense to not understand the creators' intentions. Well, it was not funny. I didn't like it. I've felt physically sick. It ruined my experience with this anime. End of the story. It's not like I want to ban it or something :D
Jan 13, 2018 2:57 PM

Jun 2017
That was definitely better than what I expected, especially the end was nailed so well. Zero Two already looks like best girl of the season.

Gonna stick around and see where this goes.
Jan 13, 2018 2:58 PM

Feb 2013
Brandon2149 said:
caio_ken said:

How is this entire episode A-1? Hiroyuki Imaishi is the action director for this series. He would have been involved with action in this first episode and probably this entire series... Just the mecha transformation and Zero Two design alone is all heavily trigger as well as the ending action sequence.

Because A-1 is credited for the first episode. Imaishi is indeed part of the storyboard in the action scene but Nishigori (Idolmaster, Gurren Lagan) is the Director, writer and storyboarder of the episode and like I said, A-1 is credited for the first episode.
Jan 13, 2018 3:00 PM

Feb 2013
gomennasai said:
JokerJoestar said:

I know. But the creators knew what they were doing when they sought him out.

EDIT: To put everything in context, my problem is not nudity. I liked Kill La Kill a lot, for example. It's the FranXX system. It's been designed by a fellow who's shown at the very beginning to be a fucking molester. He designed his robots this way because he's a pervert who can't keep his grabby hands for himself. And we're supposed to be rooting for him. Sorry, but no.

You're not watching the manga, you're watching the anime where Yabuki don't have anything to do with it. You can read the manga and see that it's different.

Also, Yabuki didn't designed anything, Masayoshi Tanaka is the designer of the anime, not him. You are talking without knowing anything.

Also, the manga is the adaptation of the anime, not the contrary. It's an anime original.

Aug 2012
On a side note, I have flashbacks of limbs, guts and terror whenever I see a naked girl with horns and pink hair...
Jun 2016
zanquen said:
another one generic shit with a beta-pathetic-shy-shithead-school-boy and forever™alone™demongirl™with-a-dark-past™ searching for a di**. Poor and simplistic graphics as always, ugly character and meha design, stupid and boring fanservice, plot... jeez i have no words. 2/10 so far.
zanquen said:
another one generic shit with a beta-pathetic-shy-shithead-school-boy and forever™alone™demongirl™with-a-dark-past™ searching for a di**. Poor and simplistic graphics as always, ugly character and meha design, stupid and boring fanservice, plot... jeez i have no words. 2/10 so far.

You're trolling Great first ep and we have 23 more for more character and world building
Jan 13, 2018 3:01 PM

Sep 2015
gomennasai said:
I've felt physically sick

Let's post some lewd stuff, so this weak one will die of a heart attack!
Jan 13, 2018 3:05 PM

Apr 2008
Aelyn said:
gomennasai said:
I've felt physically sick

Let's post some lewd stuff, so this weak one will die of a heart attack!

I've read my fair share of doujins, thank you :D

EDIT:

@caio_ken Again, I know these things. Just because something's not up to my alley doesn't mean I'm ignorant about it.
gomennasaiJan 13, 2018 3:11 PM
Jan 13, 2018 3:13 PM

May 2015
Holy damn, that was interesting, and for a first episode, even incredibly intense.

I'm intrigued.

Jan 13, 2018 3:13 PM

Jun 2017
BawkBawkBwoom said:
On a side note, I have flashbacks of limbs, guts and terror whenever I see a naked girl with horns and pink hair...

I guess it doesn't help either that the pairs are literally parasitic xD.
Jan 13, 2018 3:16 PM

Feb 2014
Love Zero-two already
Jan 13, 2018 3:18 PM
Jan 2018
This episode made me want to watch more and learn more about the characters. As usual, Trigger has a unique and beautiful animation style that I'm looking forward to this season. I wish there was more characterization, but I'm sure they'll get into it more soon--Trigger is very talented with their characterization. I do understand the lack of it since they needed to jump into the action to get our two main characters together and partners. Everything felt very fast, I'll definitely want to re-watch it later when I can focus better.
Jan 13, 2018 3:22 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
So this was in the vibe of what I was looking forward for it to be, a crossover TTGL with Kill la Kill and promising psyco vibes from NGE?
I M SOLD.
Things will definitly be interesting with this one, pity I have to wait weekly to see it.
;(

OST looked very interesting too, I dont want to hype it too much but for far seems alot more enjoyable than what Kill la Kill was for me.
Jan 13, 2018 3:24 PM

Jan 2017
This was weird

No, honestly. I was lost... Is this a mecha anime, the robot seemed to be alive. Confused, however I remain interested because of its Pacific rim-esque ideas towards the use of two behaving as one to pilot it.

My biggest problem is the fact they used eyes and mouth instead of visor head gear for the head
Jan 13, 2018 3:27 PM
Jul 2018
I like the designs of the characters. Zero Two might end up being my best gurl of the season. The Ichigo girl looks cool too. Thankfully, the MC didn't got on my nerves.

I do feel like that some of the scenes were cringey (like the butt grabbing scene).

One quick question: Is Naomi dead or what? Like what happened with her?

I hope they explain what happens with the flightless ones. (I smell corruption...)
Jan 13, 2018 3:28 PM
Jan 2016
The Duo between A1 and Trigger seeing this does make sense. This 1 episode is like 50 episode of DB Super and 100 for One piece, in a pure animation and technical level. A1 probably helped with the in-between animation like Toei Philippines and key animation to trigger this show has amazing time schedule allows animators to do this in the first episode. But i knew all this would be good but how about characters and setting, well they don't really do anything just seems really generic with a passionate production team who wants to make a good anime. I never finished Kill La Kill but i did some first couple episodes and this as a 1st episode is disappointing, its your generic protagonist who is down on his luck, i had the same problem with witch academia settings and backgrounds feel really different but the bland writing does not help. Well its hard to judge this by 1 episode so it'll stick to it.
Jan 13, 2018 3:31 PM

May 2015
gomennasai said:
@Kittens-kun Look, I get it. It was meant to be a non-serious moment. It's not like I'm dense to not understand the creators' intentions. Well, it was not funny. I didn't like it. I've felt physically sick. It ruined my experience with this anime. End of the story. It's not like I want to ban it or something :D

You need some thicker skin if it actually made you physically sick.

Jan 13, 2018 3:35 PM
Jul 2018
I dropped within 18 minutes:

-There is WAY too much shit going on for me to keep track of what's happening. Seriously. I barely understood anything that happened.
-I don't care for these mecha "save the world" plots
- I thought this was going to be a cool, fun, badass, anime, but no, instead it's this serious melodrama.
removed-userJan 13, 2018 3:41 PM
Jan 13, 2018 3:42 PM

Sep 2011
The animation was something else. Music also sounds very promising. Loved the track from the PV that played twice in this episode. Let's see were this goes.
Jan 13, 2018 3:42 PM

Apr 2014
Kittens-kun said:
gomennasai said:

I don't see what's so funny about sexual humor like that. It was tasteless and not to mention, the perverted old man is such an overused and unfunny trope in shows. It's just as bad as the trope where the main character walks on a naked female character which happened in this episode.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2018

318 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Today, 5:13 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2018

600 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Today, 4:44 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

332 by JIBRIPASCUA »»
May 25, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 22 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

37 by otakuanity »»
May 15, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 21 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

44 by otakuanity »»
May 15, 8:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.