Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 5, 2009 5:37 PM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great 1st episode! The animation was gorgeous and very fluid. Looking forward to the next eppie.

Watched the raw here:

http://up.b9dm.com/lz/20090405_9101.html
bonbonzyApr 5, 2009 8:00 PM
Apr 5, 2009 8:35 PM

Jan 2008
Gah! I want a good sub group to pick this up, I'm so excited for it.
Apr 6, 2009 1:39 AM

Jan 2008
Quite good art, fluid and and consistent animation . Great soundtrack and ED song. Now we only need to wait for subs to come out.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 6, 2009 4:10 AM
Jul 2007
Any news on who is going to sub this ?
Apr 6, 2009 5:26 PM

Jan 2009
Roronoa_Zoro said:
Any news on who is going to sub this ?

Enigma Collective is going to sub it. Its not out yet though. I'll wait for the subs to watch this one.
http://www.fansubwiki.com/Who_Subs_What:_SPRING_2009

Then I will give you my thoghts on Guin Saga

Apr 6, 2009 6:46 PM

Jan 2009
Good art
Good story
Tears in first episode means great impact
Hope no fan service comes and lots of blood instead.
Apr 6, 2009 8:33 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
japanme32 said:
Good art
Good story

You will be guaranteed epic battles of overwhelming armies vs. Guin's allies (outnumbered) LOTR style....Guin's intelligence at strategic army management is on par with his combat skills.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 6, 2009 8:48 PM

Jan 2009
wakka9ca said:
japanme32 said:
Good art
Good story

You will be guaranteed epic battles of overwhelming armies vs. Guin's allies (outnumbered) LOTR style....Guin's intelligence at strategic army management is on par with his combat skills.

Yes Guin! He makes me think of a super being that has been blessed/cursed. Can he lose control somehow?

You know why he was suffering after battle?
Apr 8, 2009 7:51 AM

May 2008
Oh hey, a traditional fantasy anime.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Apr 8, 2009 4:18 PM

May 2008
No subs :(
Apr 8, 2009 5:36 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Soulstrider said:

I know, Guin saga is not well known outside of Japan, unfortunately....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 8, 2009 7:03 PM
Mar 2009
does anyone know where i can find the subbed version?
Apr 8, 2009 10:08 PM

Jan 2008
sebg said:

I don't think it's out yet. It's a shame since this looks so incredibly awesome.
Apr 8, 2009 11:02 PM

Nov 2007
JeremyC said:
sebg said:

I don't think it's out yet. It's a shame since this looks so incredibly awesome.

Yea its weird that an anime that is supposed to be epic this season (considering the semi-weak lineup) doesn't have anyone knocking down the doors to sub it.
Apr 9, 2009 3:32 AM

Mar 2008
wakka9ca said:
Soulstrider said:

Even so, just watching the first episode would basically lift any doubts that might exist on subbing the show. That was just awesome! o.o
Apr 9, 2009 4:06 AM

Nov 2007
I watched with subs from Mistwalker just now.

Wicked episode, and I'm full of anticipation for the next episodes.
Apr 9, 2009 6:09 AM

Jul 2008
First ep was awesome. This season brings many good series, but Guin Saga is IMO one of the best. Animation is great, Uematsu's music is fantastic. I'm hooked and I reccomend it to everyone who likes classic fantasy.
Apr 9, 2009 6:52 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Arcanus said:
wakka9ca said:
Soulstrider said:

Even so, just watching the first episode would basically lift any doubts that might exist on subbing the show. That was just awesome! o.o

Yeah, most people thought this was another generic fantasy series, which is wrong. People thought Guin is King (Tekken) ripoff, which is wrong again (King is Guin ripoff). People think the focus is on the twins and find them annoying. Well, wrong again and I can guarantee you from reading first five novels. Must be watched.
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Apr 9, 2009 7:24 AM

Oct 2007
mistwalker just subbed this, liking the first episode ^^
Apr 9, 2009 8:25 AM

May 2008
Not an amazing start, but this feels like a series that is going to get bigger and better as it goes along. I honestly thought the best aspect of the first episode was the pacing, just because it didn't waste any time in getting the story rolling like a lot of stuff does, but the animation and music were good stuff as well. I'll definitely continue watching it for now.
Apr 9, 2009 8:27 AM

Jul 2008
wakka9ca said:
People thought Guin is King (Tekken) ripoff, which is wrong again (King is Guin ripoff).

I thought at first that jokes "is this Tekken anime?" were stupid, but after watching Guin's fighting style in anime my first thought was: "his moves are like King's!" and then I felt stupid.
Apr 9, 2009 8:43 AM

Jun 2008
Nice start.
I can't stop listening to the ED song.
Apr 9, 2009 8:44 AM
Apr 2008
Wow an impressive first episode fluid animation and as expected a great music score from Uematsu.
Apr 9, 2009 9:07 AM

Nov 2007
Good start to the series. I've fallen in love with the ED already. :)
Apr 9, 2009 9:30 AM

Mar 2008
That guy twin is useless -_-. Otherwise, interesting start.
Apr 9, 2009 10:08 AM

Mar 2009
This series is off to a great start, it has an epic feel to it. Guin Saga is beautifully animated and I'm liking the fantasy settings.

Here's to hoping that Lemus eventually grows a backbone, but luckily the twins have Guin to protect them. Now I'm curious about those first five light novels that were translated and released here.

I'm also glad that Mistwalker picked this series up.
Apr 9, 2009 11:24 AM

Feb 2008
Whoa, this was a great start! Love the setting, the animation and the characters (expect for Lemus, who I want to see dead as soon as possible).
Btw, the part where Guin owns those knights was really cool!
Apr 9, 2009 11:41 AM

Jan 2009
Wow... this start of the series has EPIC MANLY TALE written all over it.
Apr 9, 2009 12:16 PM

Jul 2008
Couldn't bear to watch the full episode, and quited after about 10 minutes. One of the worst series this season, and my third to drop. The part where that Guin guy beat those knights up wasn't bad, but the rest just plain sucked. Reason enough to drop this. ^^;

Oh well, this episode gets a 3/5 for the somewhat good fight, otherwise I'd have given it a 2. =)
JeffuszApr 9, 2009 12:19 PM
Apr 9, 2009 1:53 PM

May 2008
Anywhere where I can get ddl subs for this?
Apr 9, 2009 2:54 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Gaia said:
That guy twin is useless -_-. Otherwise, interesting start.

Remember that this series of novels is 120+ volumes (of novels not manga) and span across decades (within the story and in real life). It's about three times as long as Wheel of Time in terms of length of the story....(4-5 Guin Saga books = 1 WoT book) There is just so much stories and characters that the first 5 books barely give a glimpse on. I remember the author said that Guin Saga was like a fictional history book, and it's completely true. The universe of Guin Saga is so rich in details that I find rather strange that nearly nobody outside of Japan knows of this series......

Lemus/Remus will grow, but not by too much within the 5 first books.
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Apr 9, 2009 3:21 PM

May 2007
wakka9ca said:

Remember that this series of novels is 120+ volumes (of novels not manga) and span across decades (within the story and in real life). It's about three times as long as Wheel of Time in terms of length of the story....(4-5 Guin Saga books = 1 WoT book) There is just so much stories and characters that the first 5 books barely give a glimpse on. I remember the author said that Guin Saga was like a fictional history book, and it's completely true. The universe of Guin Saga is so rich in details that I find rather strange that nearly nobody outside of Japan knows of this series......

Shit, are you serious!? I had no idea it was so vast. And here I thought WoT was big. Lol, I feel stupid. Only the first 5 volumes have been translated in English (now that I read this up on Wikipedia)? That's a bummer.

I do hope we get to see some kind of substantial growth in Remus. As a male, I'm kinda pissed he's so weak. :(

Regardless, great start to this anime. The music score was fantastic. Why Uematsu does not compose for more anime is beyond me. He clearly is gifted enough. Can't wait to find out all the mysteries.
VK11Apr 9, 2009 3:26 PM
Apr 9, 2009 3:38 PM

Jan 2009
Jeffusz said:
Couldn't bear to watch the full episode, and quited after about 10 minutes. One of the worst series this season, and my third to drop. The part where that Guin guy beat those knights up wasn't bad, but the rest just plain sucked. Reason enough to drop this. ^^;

Oh well, this episode gets a 3/5 for the somewhat good fight, otherwise I'd have given it a 2. =)

Is that your only reason for disliking; a lack of action? This anime is based on big series of best-selling novels. I couldn't imagine dropping a gem like this after one episode.
Apr 9, 2009 6:15 PM

Dec 2006
ZzDaKid43zZ said:
JeremyC said:
sebg said:

Yea its weird that an anime that is supposed to be epic this season (considering the semi-weak lineup) doesn't have anyone knocking down the doors to sub it.

They're too busy subbing generic-moe-anime #3003 with unfunny little girl characters who flash their pantsu and nonexistant breasts.
リスト 。。

Apr 9, 2009 6:30 PM

Mar 2007
Dialogue was the only thing I could nit-pick about but apart from that it was brilliant, loved it. OST is very good from what we've been given so far.
Apr 9, 2009 6:41 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Mistwalker's subs are watchable but has obvious error anyone read the novel would know. They should have done some research on the novels first (like the Chinese subs actually put about 10 "encyclopedia" explanations on name of Gods, monsters, vegetations, the complex political structure of the Mongaul (clan-like) along the subtitles) I REALLY want a very experienced fansub (with Guin Saga knowledge) to do this anime with HD quality releases, so that people who didn't read the novels could fully benefit from the Guin universe.

Error: Linda: "a demon....doll?"
Correction "a demon of DOAL" Doal is literally Hell, but also the dark god. Of course, it sounds like doll, and anyone who didn't read the novels would not know what it meant, since "demon doll" seems like a viable translation.

For people interested in the novels, the first 5 books are available in English (Vertical) or French (Fleuve Noir, the famous French fantasy book publisher)

Here is a review of the first book from Scott Green (2 years ago)
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34417

" For a domestic point of comparison to the Guin Saga's improbable length, you have to look to something like The Destroyer-Remo Williams, except, presuming the claims are true, and Kaouru Kurimoto is not a Maxwell Grant inherited role, it is written by one pseudonymous author. Begun in 1979, the fantasy cycle has run a staggering 114 novels.

Planned for the 100 novel mark, Guin Saga's immediate approach is one of dense excitement. All of the danger is mortal. It is all dire in the moment in which it happens. Yet, clues and meetings of lasting importance are mixed in with confrontations that might be less significant in retrospect than they first seem. "Leopard Mask" spans a little over two days of in-story time. In turn, its events occur two days after the fall of the kingdom of Parros, which precipitated the involvement of two of the story's protagonists. Employing the philosophy of a fast track to fast track DJ mix of the genre, Kaouru Kurimoto strings serial moments of tension for a Zerg Rush narrative. This could cut a convoluted path, but rather than veer out of control with this momentum, Kurimoto enforces a coherent arrangement of events. The particular circumstances might be authorially driven chance... make that the dictates of fate weaving god Janos, but the flurry of situations being set up and resolved makes each incident, as well as the novel itself, satisfying. Kaouru Kurimoto manages it like the trick of putting a hand on a table with finger spread out, then stabbing a blade between the outstretched digits. The speed and coordination is that amazing.

In part, as a function of introducing, rather than developing the players, Leopard Mask's chief protagonists are more utilitarian than interesting in their own rights. They're filling roles in the fantasy algebra. Essentially in line with the hero's journey, standards, there's a warrior who has forgotten his past, the male and female twin heirs to a forgotten kingdom, the irreverent mercenary, the "Black Count", even a small hairy monkey girl.

Guin is spit up from the depths of Doal with the body of a perfect warrior, a permanently affixed life-like leopard mask, and a mind free of personal history except for the name "Guin" and the word "Aurra". Disorientated, unable to eat or drink, he's almost in as dire straights as Remus and Rinda, respectively, the heir to the thrown and the heir to the powers of prophesy of the kingdom of Parros.

Several key qualities set the work apart from over-processed genre fill. First, it reads like the product of a mind to page outpouring. Even if the outline looks like Star Wars on a dusk jacket or a review, there is not the sense that Kaouru Kurimoto has spend time refactoring genre standards. A lack of baggage casts the experience in the direction of classic pulp fantasy from the likes of Fritz Leiber or Robert E. Howard. It's not like Ryo Mizuno (Loddoss War) fantasy, in that refreshingly, it is not informed by games. As such it does not suggest the impression of mechanics, projected to or from a page or a programming code rule scheme. Nor does it follow in the steps of, or react against the Tolkien model.

The presumptions involved are more in line with mythology than the modern fantasy epic. Despite the conflict of high born children against a black clad, militaristic state, the world does not appear to be aligning itself for a Zoroastrian clash between the armies of light and darkness. With Guin and his history, the direct but ambiguous foreshadowing that while non-warrior, non-gifted Remus might currently be a weak link, he is destined for an important place in history, or the mercenary who has been told that he will one day rule a kingdom, all the primary players seem to be heroes in the classic sense. You almost expect weird sisters, a sword in a stone, a stag horned hunter, or a prophesy that some one is going to kill their father and marry their mother. The roles have been mysterious rather than explicit, but still decidedly grandiose.

Berserk creator Kentaro Miura credits Guin Saga as a key influence for his iron and blood fantasy epic, and the heritage is evident. The key elements that make Berserk a tense, viscerally shaded take on the battles between men with swords and monsters are present in Guin Saga. First is the impression of a world in conflict. It's not Black and White, Empire and Rebels. It's states versus states. The brief insight into sympathetic point of loss, Parros is that it had ancient roots. The confederation that toppled it are decidedly a bellicose people, battle hardened from a frontier existence. Yet, they are practically ambitious rather than rule the world maniacal or nihilistic. These people might represent a threat to the heroes, but it is still possible to empathize with a citizen army that is tired of fighting border wars even if the its skirmishing with ape-men and infernal beings. To the extent that militaristic fascists can be, the patriotic zeal of these antagonists in action is awe inspiring. Rather than the overplayed Death Knight deal, Kurimoto produces something more Spartan.

Secondly, Guin Saga has the haunting notion that, if you just dust off the top soil of the world, you expose a malevolent reality. Guin immediately rescues Remus and Rinda from a squad of riders, and as soon as that engagement is complete, the trio find themselves in the Marshes after dark. Sheltered in the flimsy protection of torch light, they are quickly surrounded by the animated dead, taunting imps, the noises of things cracking the bones of other things. It's the Lovecraftian idea that there is a deeper and darker world that operates under its own laws, that's to ready to swallow the humans that cross over. So, like Berserk, you have an abyss and a warrior who knows nothing else. Both the darkness and the person starring into it are powerfully convincing. "

List of novel titles in Japanese and English (Wiki Japan) WARNING: VERY long post
wakka9caApr 9, 2009 6:49 PM
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Apr 9, 2009 7:05 PM

Oct 2008
Well, as ridiculous and generic all the premises and events that happened were, there is something incredibly entertaining about watching a man with a leopard face beating the shit out of people and burying them alive (dead?). I can't believe that tree burned up. Damn, lol.

On another note, the music is epic as expected from the person who did FF7 Advent Children and the scenery is quite good as well. The only thing lacking is nongeneric characters and an actually believable fantasy story. All the troops are too "uber" and everything that happens is blown way out of what could even be considered reality. ie: "Oh! The coordinates just happened to get messed up. Oh well, nothing we can do." Lmao at the part where their brother (?) dies in the beginning. "I will get my revenge" *hit by projectiles and falls.*

Overall 5/10 +1 for leopard man kicking ass +1 for music = 7/10
Apr 9, 2009 7:47 PM

Aug 2008
Nothing special, although nothing bad enough to make me drop it as of yet. Will keep watching for now...
Apr 9, 2009 7:51 PM

Jul 2008
where is the subbed version? whos the mistwalkers do they have a web?
Apr 9, 2009 8:11 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
meonlyme775 said:
ie: "Oh! The coordinates just happened to get messed up. Oh well, nothing we can do."

lol... if you're an engineer you know that it is precisely what happens in real life. Murphy's Law, I tell you....completely realistic....

The first 5 minutes was a VERY quick summary of what happened to the twins before they got in the Rood Wood (the nefariously dangerous forest) by accident...or should I say by the will of Yarn, the God of Fate?
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Apr 9, 2009 9:12 PM

Nov 2007
Wow, this anime has epic written all over it...unbelievable how it took this long to actually get subs for this! I laughed pretty hard when he punched that guy and he actually set the tree on fire...Can't wait for more episodes, the music for this stuff is pretty badass.
ZzDaKid43zZApr 9, 2009 9:19 PM
Apr 9, 2009 9:59 PM

Jun 2008
I really enjoyed the first episode. I have a feeling that after this series is over I'll be hooked and wanting more. Hopefully the novels get brought over, or the anime continues.
Apr 9, 2009 11:59 PM

Mar 2007
I liked the first episode a lot. Really nice animation, character design, and music. I also really loved the background art, in particular the scene when the brother is off getting water for Guin, and she walks over that cliff to look at the countryside. Really beautiful artwork there.

I agree that the brother is really useless now, and am glad to hear that he will develop eventually (though who knows if that will occur during the anime)

The 'twins in a dangerous forest' thing reminded me a little bit of Jyu-oh-sei, where the twins Thor (badass) and Rai (completely useless) have to try to survive the planet they are unexpectedly dumped on. Too bad they didn't have a Guin to help them XD

Oh, and I also liked the ending song. Is it by the same person who did the theme song for LA Corda D'Oro, "Brand New Breeze"? Sounds like her. I need to look it up, I am so lazy XD
MagicalEmiApr 10, 2009 12:03 AM
Apr 10, 2009 12:26 AM

Apr 2008
As I started to watch this, I thought it was setting up to be pretty typical (not something that I care for in other words) That, and I spent alot of the first 7 minutes wishing the black nights WOULD catch the little whiner, at least......

Then we got to the part where they meet Guin, and that's where things seemed to just take off.

For one, I do believe that's the first time I've literally seen somebody get buried...that was cool. Also, the action sequences, both the first one with the black nights and the one later on with the ugly ghoul thingies were beautifully executed. I could almost watch this one for the fight scenes alone. Then there's just something about a very large, ripped, leopard-man beating the living crud out of anything that stands in his path that just screams pure WIN. I just hope that the plot develops in such a way to keep my attention.

On a side-note, I am reminded of my childhood staying up late to try and catch movies like 'Masters of the Universe', 'Conan the Barbarian', and 'Beastmaster' on television.
Apr 10, 2009 12:27 AM

Jan 2009
Nice first episode and I believe this show will get better and better. Music is awesome and animation is solid. The setting is very typical for fantasy, but it's still interesting, so I'm up for more
Apr 10, 2009 12:45 AM

Apr 2007
I'll think I'll keep watching just to see Guin pound some more guys into the ground like stakes .... with a single punch. What a badass.
Apr 10, 2009 5:30 AM

May 2008
Wow, just wow. Another Epic Fantasy series that I think I'm gonna love!
Apr 10, 2009 6:37 AM

Feb 2009
1st good series in this season.
Epic fantasy?
Great!
Great story?
Epic!
Good characters?
Yeah!
I hope for more and more.
How much of the novels will be in this series?
I hope this is only first of much more seasons.
I Will Fear No Evil
Apr 10, 2009 6:43 AM

Mar 2008
wakka9ca said:
People think the focus is on the twins and find them annoying.

The short haired twin (didn't memorize her name yet) sure is annoying though! xD
Apr 10, 2009 6:51 AM

Apr 2008
Arcanus said:
wakka9ca said:
People think the focus is on the twins and find them annoying.

The short haired twin (didn't memorize her name yet) sure is annoying though! xD

That's the annoying part. The short haired one is a boy...... >_>

He's a useless little manling. Is there still a chance that the black knights might get 'im?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Guin Saga Episode 15 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Jul 12, 2009

27 by abystoma2 »»
Mar 13, 5:13 AM

Poll: » Guin Saga Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

wakka9ca - Apr 12, 2009

70 by MeanEYE »»
Jan 30, 7:24 PM

Poll: » Guin Saga Episode 11 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Jun 14, 2009

17 by Adam_R »»
Sep 25, 2023 9:08 PM

Poll: » Guin Saga Episode 16 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Jul 20, 2009

32 by nhkam »»
Sep 17, 2023 8:49 PM

Poll: » Guin Saga Episode 9 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Jun 1, 2009

24 by BaronLukis »»
Aug 20, 2023 4:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.