Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 13, 2014 11:05 AM
Dec 2013
What order is the fate/ animes in ( Example fate/stay night )

Also is Shiro only in fate/stay night?

Mod Edit: More descriptive title.
KinetaJan 13, 2014 5:19 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 13, 2014 11:09 AM

Jan 2014
Fate/Stay Night > Fate/zero
Jan 13, 2014 11:10 AM

Apr 2010
Fate/Zero -> Fate/Stay Night VN
No point watching the F/SN anime if you watch Zero first. As it was a poor adaptation & will just leave you more confused after watching the prequel that follows the VN instead of the anime.

Shirou appears at the end of Zero, but doesn't play a significant role in the prequel, aside from setting him as the protagonist of F/SN.
Jan 13, 2014 11:20 AM
May 2010
antonn said:
Fate/Zero -> Fate/Stay Night VN
No point watching the F/SN anime if you watch Zero first. As it was a poor adaptation & will just leave you more confused after watching the prequel that follows the VN instead of the anime.

Shirou appears at the end of Zero, but doesn't play a significant role in the prequel, aside from setting him as the protagonist of F/SN.

Even then, personally you should read the VN before watching F/Z.
Worships Asparagus.
Jan 13, 2014 11:26 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Read the Fate/Stay Night visual novel, then watch the Fate/Zero anime. Pretty straightforward.

If you wanna be super serious you could also play Tsukihime first of all as there are some references to it from F/S N but that is definitely not a necessity.
Jan 13, 2014 12:35 PM

Apr 2012
As I'm watching Fate/Stay Night right now and plan to watch Fate/Zero afterwards as per the recommendation of the person who recommended it to me, I would suggest doing the same. Also, since Fate/Zero seems to be almost universally hailed as the better of the two, it'll prevent the whole "oh no, I can't watch this subpar product after seeing Ufotable's Fate/Zero" shindig.
------------------------------------------------------
As an aside, I find the whole "Fate/Stay Night is the worst anime ever" sentiment to be quite overblown. Yes, the anime is average at best with some good moments, but it certainly isn't the unwatchable pile of dribble that some people make it out to be, unless the last 10 episodes are completely different from the rest or something. It's fun, at least, even if some things are left unclear. So if you're not willing to invest the time necessary for a VN, then this route won't kill you.

People calling the original a terrible piece of unwatchable nothingness are, at least in my eyes, essentially saying that "it's not as good as Fate/Zero and/or the VN", not that it, looking at it as a standalone product, is some inferior existence that doesn't match up to such classics as ImoCho and Pupa.
AndyRayyJan 13, 2014 12:38 PM

Jan 13, 2014 1:25 PM

Oct 2013
Fate/stay night was created before Fate/Zero, but Fate/Zero contains waaay too many spoilers and should be avoided until you have completed Fate/stay night VN.

The Fate/stay night anime series is optional, since it covers only the VN's first route and tried rather poorly to tie in the other routes. On the other hand, Unlimited Bladeworks the movie is a fairly good production that is very loyal to the VN's second route.

Fate/Zero is a pretty enjoyable anime on its own right.

After you are done with all that, you should play Fate/hollow ataraxia VN, which is coming out any day now... hopefully: http://seiba.us.to/entrans/main.php

PS: How come everyone forgets about Unlimited Bladeworks?

PPS: Shirou is the protagonist of both stay night and hollow ataraxia. His foster father is the protagonist of Zero, and Shirou was only a kid during the events of Zero.
RinthJan 13, 2014 1:30 PM
Jan 13, 2014 1:28 PM

Jun 2007
When someone asks "what order do I watch Fate in" saying "read the VN" is not an actual reply as it's completely unrelated to the question being asked. A visual novel is not an anime, nor do you watch it.

To answer the OP;
Fate/Zero is awesome and also a prequel, watch that first.

Fate/Stay Night is getting a much better remake (theres no doubt it will be better than the original, not even because 'it was sooo bad' but because UFOtable is fucking great) in the near future I'd suggest waiting for after watching Zero.

Mod Edit: Modified statement.
KinetaJan 13, 2014 5:15 PM
Jan 13, 2014 1:28 PM

May 2010
I watched Fate/Zero first and then Fate/Stay Night and was satisfied. Zero is a masterpiece, FSN is really average, so yeah, you don't really have to watch it anyway.
Jan 13, 2014 1:35 PM

Oct 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:

Fate/Stay Night is getting a much better remake (theres no doubt it will be better than the original, not even because 'it was sooo bad' but because UFOtable is fucking great) in the near future I'd suggest waiting for after watching Zero.

That remake is definitely worth waiting. Ufotable also made Fate/Zero and the Kara no Kyoukai movies.

I'm still adamant that F/SN should be watched before Zero though. Watching Zero first will pretty much dispel the majority of the mysteries present in the F/SN storyline.

Further, some works really should be first experienced in VN before watching the anime. You will simply get more enjoyment out of the series that way. One of my greatest regrets is watching the masterpiece that is Steins;Gate the anime before playing the masterpiece that is Steins;Gate the VN.
Jan 13, 2014 1:43 PM

Jun 2007
Rinth said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

That remake is definitely worth waiting. Ufotable also made Fate/Zero and the Kara no Kyoukai movies.

I'm still adamant that F/SN should be watched before Zero though. Watching Zero first will pretty much dispel the majority of the mysteries present in the F/SN storyline.

Well it was written after so it's understandable it contains some things that might damper the F/SN stories mysteries, but I think it grabs the viewer way faster and more powerfully and gets them involved more deeply into the story, characters, and world of the Fate universe.

Maybe the remake will be able to fix it, but F/SN as it is now isn't really something a lot of people watch and think "WOW, I definitely want to see more of this and learn more about what happens to these characters" because as far as the already-out version it plays off very much as a high school harem ecchi comedy with some action mixed in from time to time. Some of that is simply because Nasu was pandering to the otaku demographic with the VN (I believe he's even admitted to feeling forced to put the sex scenes in, could be mistaken) but mostly due to the writing staff for the animation studio doing a terrible job as there was plenty that was much better in the VN than the show ever even touched on.

As it stands, unless the remake has that same huge appeal that Zero has thanks to the beautiful art (which it will have for sure), incredible music (again, it will), and incredibly interesting characters right off the bat, I think it's worth starting with even if you miss out on some of the mystery of F/SN.

Fate/Zero is overall a better product and appeals to more people as well by being 'so different' from what many of them are used to (it doesn't take place with high school kids, there's not really any jokes, there's no ecchi shit mixed in for no reason) that they will watch it even purely for that fact, and then when they get so into it will be interested in continuing into Stay Night.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
KinetaJan 13, 2014 5:10 PM
Jan 13, 2014 5:17 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Thread Moved.

Although the intent of the thread is to discuss the franchise, the OP apparently knows the Fate/stay night series (asking about Shiro) and so this thread better belongs in the series board than in AD.
Jan 13, 2014 6:18 PM

Dec 2011
Zero > Stay Night > Unlimited Blade Works > Kaleid Prisma Illya

Kaleid is connected to the route Heaven's Feel, which is not adapted to anime (praying to ufotable).

Also already stated, F/SN is getting a remake from the studio ufotable (no information about release and which route). F/SN and UBW from DEEN is pretty bad story-wise, you will need to read some spoilers from the wikia after watching.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2014 7:58 PM

Jul 2007
xJapaliicious said:

Kaleid is connected to the route Heaven's Feel, which is not adapted to anime (praying to ufotable).

Also already stated, F/SN is getting a remake from the studio ufotable (no information about release and which route). F/SN and UBW from DEEN is pretty bad story-wise, you will need to read some spoilers from the wikia after watching.

Prisma is not connected to HF as much as its connected to Fate/Zero.
Jan 13, 2014 9:32 PM

Jul 2007
Forgetfulness said:
Fai said:
xJapaliicious said:

I might have asked this before, but is any knowledge from F/ha needed for the 2nd season of F/kl? I know Bazett shows up at the end of the first season :|

The introduction of character and her powers are handled quite well without F/HA knowledge, so knowing that she is uber-badass is enough. There's however other character(actually two) who are from F/hA and appear there, namely

Knowledge of FSN vn routes and F/0 is far more important.
Jan 14, 2014 3:08 AM

Dec 2011
Fai said:
Forgetfulness said:
Fai said:
xJapaliicious said:

I might have asked this before, but is any knowledge from F/ha needed for the 2nd season of F/kl? I know Bazett shows up at the end of the first season :|

The introduction of character and her powers are handled quite well without F/HA knowledge, so knowing that she is uber-badass is enough. There's however other character(actually two) who are from F/hA and appear there, namely

Knowledge of FSN vn routes and F/0 is far more important.

I believe F/KL is more connected to HF than Zero because

And that is my theory why KL is far more connected to HF than any other world

@Forgetfulness
No. Only 3drei needs knowledge from other worlds..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2014 4:46 AM

Aug 2009
Rinth said:
Fate/stay night was created before Fate/Zero, but Fate/Zero contains waaay too many spoilers and should be avoided until you have completed Fate/stay night VN.

The Fate/stay night anime series is optional, since it covers only the VN's first route and tried rather poorly to tie in the other routes. On the other hand, Unlimited Bladeworks the movie is a fairly good production that is very loyal to the VN's second route.

Fate/Zero is a pretty enjoyable anime on its own right.

After you are done with all that, you should play Fate/hollow ataraxia VN, which is coming out any day now... hopefully: http://seiba.us.to/entrans/main.php

PS: How come everyone forgets about Unlimited Bladeworks?

PPS: Shirou is the protagonist of both stay night and hollow ataraxia. His foster father is the protagonist of Zero, and Shirou was only a kid during the events of Zero.

THe movies was far worse than the series, story wise.And FFS they couldnt even animate the fights properly,made Shirou makechoices that should have lead to a bad end etc...

Rinth said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

Further, some works really should be first experienced in VN before watching the anime. You will simply get more enjoyment out of the series that way. One of my greatest regrets is watching the masterpiece that is Steins;Gate the anime before playing the masterpiece that is Steins;Gate the VN.

But the FSN anime doesnt really have many mysteries or makes you care about them.

@Xjapaliicious
WHat you are talking about is pure references and emotional impact.Like
Jan 14, 2014 5:03 AM

Dec 2011
ssjokg said:
@Xjapaliicious

Isn't nasuverse all about that ? I'm pretty new into this, but every world has some impact in the others and from what KL has shown, HF is the most close. Isn't it ?

Every world have their own aspects, but just from showing Saber Alter and True Assassin made more clear how we can see.
Jan 14, 2014 7:26 AM

Aug 2009
xJapaliicious said:
ssjokg said:
@Xjapaliicious

Isn't nasuverse all about that ? I'm pretty new into this, but every world has some impact in the others and from what KL has shown, HF is the most close. Isn't it ?

Every world have their own aspects, but just from showing Saber Alter and True Assassin made more clear how we can see.

The setting of KL isnt affected at all by Saber Alter,True Assassin or any part of the 3 routes that was barely shown in KL.

What is important is what we must know about the world itself.
Whether someone gets some feels in the fight between Ilya and Berserker or not has nothing to do with the story of Kaleid.
What is important is to know why Ilya is who she is,why she(and Miyu) has so much power, and why she has such a life.
Jan 14, 2014 8:05 AM

Dec 2011
ssjokg said:
What is important is what we must know about the world itself.

And that's why I'm trying to search those references.

ssjokg said:
Whether someone gets some feels in the fight between Ilya and Berserker or not has nothing to do with the story of Kaleid.

Well, she never knew Berserker in this world, but that's a big plot hole in my theory if I'm stating within HF (whose I failed to see he wasn't corrupted).

ssjokg said:
What is important is to know why Ilya is who she is,why she(and Miyu) has so much power, and why she has such a life.

Waiting for a good exaplanation from
Jan 14, 2014 8:17 AM

Aug 2009
No.Setting=/=references

There arent any stated rules in Kaleid.Even if they changed FSN Berserker with FZ Berserker it wouldnt change the story.

HF isnt the only 5th war.There is also UBW,Fate and hundreds of others we dont know.

And I meant her FSN & FZ backstory, not why she lives like that in kaleid.
Jan 23, 2014 8:25 PM

Apr 2007
See this thread http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=705557

tl;dr Fate/Zero is several orders of magnitude better than Fate/stay night because the F/sn adaptation was butchered; just drop f/sn, watch f/zero, wait for the fate/stay night remake
Jan 23, 2014 8:40 PM

Dec 2012
I would say if you got that far you should at least finish it. It's not like it's that bad of a show. Though as suggested you could just watch the upcoming remake to see if it's more to your taste.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jan 23, 2014 9:38 PM
Dec 2010
Get the Fate/stay night Visual Novel. Forget about any FS/N anime because adaptating the VN is going to be a massive challenge and it's unlikely any effort from UFOTable is going to match the real thing.
Jan 23, 2014 9:42 PM

Jun 2008
Man, I'm SOOO not looking forward to all the F/SN crap that's about to hit us later this year....

UGH...
Jan 23, 2014 9:43 PM

Apr 2012
inb4 they butcher the adaptation twice

Jan 23, 2014 9:44 PM
May 2010
Id normally say watch or read fsn first, but if you are already 14 episodes in and just not enjoying it it wont kill you to swap to fate/zero.

I dont know that I would advise it, but if FSN just isnt working for you...

Still, as always the best option is to play the F/SN VN then watch F/Z.

Zeally said:
inb4 they butcher the anime twice

My heart will break. I re-read fate last week and it really reminded me how even though I enjoyed the anime it just does NOT compare.
Worships Asparagus.
Jan 23, 2014 10:37 PM

Apr 2010
JustALEX said:
Man, I'm SOOO not looking forward to all the F/SN crap that's about to hit us later this year....

UGH...

Too Fate for you.
Jan 23, 2014 10:47 PM
May 2010
Forgetfulness said:
miereneronaile said:
Zeally said:
inb4 they butcher the anime twice

My heart will break. I re-read fate last week and it really reminded me how even though I enjoyed the anime it just does NOT compare.
Wow, it took me like a whole year to complete Fate/stay night :o

Maybe I'm just really bad w/ VNs, but completely one route in that time is impressive to me

No job/study, and nothing else to do. Thats all. I was really, really happy that it was equally enjoyable the second time through though. Will be doing UBW some time soon, but not touching HF. Its just to.. Well, yea. You know.
Worships Asparagus.
Jan 23, 2014 10:54 PM

Jun 2008
antonn said:
JustALEX said:

UGH...

Too Fate for you.

I just never thought it was that great of a story.

Yeah, Fate zero had great animation, art, and entertaining action sequences and even good characters....

But the story itself is not that interesting.....if anything it's convoluted and difficult for non-light novel viewers to fully understand.
Jan 23, 2014 10:59 PM
May 2010
cristiankim93 said:

Main reason this series isn't working for me is because of the MC. I really don't like him.

I totally missed that when I first replied.

Tbh, even in the VN I dont think you are really meant to LIKE Shirou until, well, nearer the end.

He is a broken person, for good reasons, and it takes a lot to fix that stuff. Really it is Rin/Saber you are meant to like in Fate imo.
Worships Asparagus.
Jan 23, 2014 11:02 PM

Apr 2012
i hate shiro more than shinji

i lied shinji still takes the cake :x

Jan 23, 2014 11:03 PM
May 2010
Forgetfulness said:
miereneronaile said:
He is a broken person, for good reasons, and it takes a lot to fix that stuff. Really it is Rin on Saber you are meant to like in Fate imo.
Fixed that for you ;)

Lol.

Yes. I wont deny it.

Zeally said:

If anyone could honestly say they like Shinji more than Shirou... I dont know. I honestly can not think of something to say about a person like that. I think they would have to simply be confused..
Worships Asparagus.
Jan 23, 2014 11:08 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
just read the visual novel instead, pretty simple
Jan 24, 2014 1:35 AM

Jun 2008
Zeally said:

OH FUCK!

I completely forgot about that piece of shit...

Actually, he may be worse than Shinji.....
Jan 24, 2014 1:36 AM
May 2010
JustALEX said:
Zeally said:

OH FUCK!

Believe me, he is not. There is virtually no fictional character in existence who is worse than Shinji(on an equal scale, I mean obviously people who destroy planets or whatever are 'worse' in a way)
Worships Asparagus.
Jan 24, 2014 1:40 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
miereneronaile said:
JustALEX said:
Zeally said:

OH FUCK!

Believe me, he is not. There is virtually no fictional character in existence who is worse than Shinji(on an equal scale, I mean obviously people who destroy planets or whatever are 'worse' in a way)
He's definitely a punching bag to be sure... although I still think Nina Einstein is the worst one I've ever seen
Jan 24, 2014 1:45 AM
May 2010
HaXXspetten said:
miereneronaile said:
JustALEX said:
Zeally said:

OH FUCK!

He's definitely a punching bag to be sure... although I still think Nina Einstein is the worst one I've ever seen

She is a monumental bitch, but she had a MASSIVE scale compared to Shinji. For some reason, I find Shinji so bad because all of his ridiculous malice, his pathetic jealousy.. It was all over such tiny things, and it was ALL focused onto one poor innocent person. One person who suffered massively even WITHOUT his actions, who even WITHOUT his actions would be one of the most tragic in anime.

And then he does what he does? I understand that, in a lot of ways, Nina is worse and to far more people.. But something about Shinji....
Worships Asparagus.
Jan 24, 2014 1:55 AM

Oct 2013
Finish the series, watch Fate/Zero, watch the remake when it airs, then regret why you ever watched the first Fate/stay night anime.
Jan 24, 2014 1:57 AM

Jun 2009
miereneronaile said:
HaXXspetten said:
miereneronaile said:
JustALEX said:
Zeally said:

OH FUCK!

She is a monumental bitch, but she had a MASSIVE scale compared to Shinji. For some reason, I find Shinji so bad because all of his ridiculous malice, his pathetic jealousy.. It was all over such tiny things, and it was ALL focused onto one poor innocent person. One person who suffered massively even WITHOUT his actions, who even WITHOUT his actions would be one of the most tragic in anime.

And then he does what he does? I understand that, in a lot of ways, Nina is worse and to far more people.. But something about Shinji....

You are talking about Matou Shinji right? I may be wrong but I think they are talking Ikari Shinji from NGE.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 24, 2014 2:02 AM
May 2010
insan3Spectre said:
miereneronaile said:
HaXXspetten said:
miereneronaile said:
JustALEX said:
Zeally said:

OH FUCK!

You are talking about Matou Shinji right, I may be wrong but I think they are talking Ikari Shinji from NGE.

Well, thats quite possible but that would be monumentally off topic?

I mean, sure you could be right but in an F/SN topic... It would be pretty weird for someone to have brought him up. Well, if you are right my bad.

Just out of interest, what makes you think that?
miereneronaileJan 24, 2014 2:05 AM
Worships Asparagus.
Jan 24, 2014 2:06 AM
May 2010
cristiankim93 said:
Thanks for the suggestion, guys!
I watched Fate/Zero episode 1 and...wow, the characters! the way they're all connected with the Fate/SN characters made me want to finish FSN so i'm enduring it.
I don't really like to read VNs. I used to back in the day but they're just .. so long it's exhausting. That's just me, though. On episode 20 and Shiro went from a horrible horrible character to being meh so that's a plus. But man....I'm finding major plot holes EVERYWHERE!

Those plot holes, please believe me when I say they are probably not, and its just the adaption being a piece of shit adaption and the fact that there are 2(sort of 4) other routes that fill in a LOT of the shit fate doesnt explain.

btw, if you want them explained(assuming that they are actually things I can explain lol) I would be happy to do so /shrug.
Worships Asparagus.
Jan 24, 2014 2:14 AM

Jun 2009
@ miereneronaile

HaXXspetten brought up Nina Einstein, another character who has nothing to do with FSN and Zeally may have been comparing Shirou to another protagonist he doesn't like. I have seen Shirou and Shinji (NGE) compared before. Like I said, I may be wrong. Just a guess, really.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 24, 2014 2:20 AM
May 2010
insan3Spectre said:
@ miereneronaile

HaXXspetten brought up Nina Einstein, another character who has nothing to do with FSN and Zeally may have been comparing Shirou to another protagonist he doesn't like. I have seen Shirou and Shinji (NGE) compared before. Like I said, I may be wrong. Just a guess, really.

Its actually quite possible you are right, it just strikes me as a rather odd decision. That said, its probably because to me Shinji(F/SN ofc) is a totally unforgettable character.. So to use Shinji to refer to someone else in a thread specifically about F/SN seems.. weird. Still, if they had forgotten there was a character called Shinji in F/SN it would be reasonable. Well, as I said, my bad I guess if that was who they were referring to.

Though, still, Shinji(F/SN) is far worse than either of them so my overall point stands lol.
Worships Asparagus.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Desian - Sep 14, 2008

104 by FedeMetal »»
Yesterday, 7:10 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Desian - Sep 14, 2008

79 by FedeMetal »»
Jun 13, 8:04 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DaBigD - Oct 4, 2008

84 by FedeMetal »»
Jun 12, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DaBigD - Oct 3, 2008

77 by FedeMetal »»
Jun 12, 10:43 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

WinterNightsFall - Jul 31, 2008

587 by Akibahizumi »»
Jun 11, 9:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.