Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 20, 2013 8:07 PM

Nov 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Chimera Ant arc is here!
although it was mostly a flashback, they also added more content, they extended Kaitos meeting with Ging though his flash back was longer than Gons meeting with kaito

I like pitous design a lot
RX-782Apr 20, 2013 8:24 PM
Apr 20, 2013 8:24 PM

Jun 2012
DAT OP, Really awesome visuals for things to come

Flashback introduction to Kite which morphed into another flashback of Kite/Ging! So hyped for this story, takes some of the best elements from each arc previously and mashes them together into this grand dark epoch of an adventure.

That ED is going to be our only solace this arc XD

Morel and Knuckle are lookin beast!
HybridMBLApr 20, 2013 8:29 PM
Apr 20, 2013 9:06 PM

Feb 2012
Wow. They changed quite a bit of it. Though I'm wondering what the manga is doing we're catching up and I haven't seen a new chapter in some time...
Apr 20, 2013 9:13 PM

Aug 2012
Nice new OP, a good slow down episode to ease into the new arc can't wait HxH is always so good

Apr 20, 2013 9:16 PM
Nov 2012
Yo, that new ending felt like a typical Yu Yu Hakusho ending. I quite liked it!
Apr 20, 2013 9:17 PM

Mar 2013
Omg,This episode was AWESOME.The visuals for the op were AMAZING,my only complaint is in the manga kite told gon that ging was a hunter.....DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT

STILL 10/10
CanuteApr 20, 2013 9:37 PM
Apr 20, 2013 9:19 PM
Nov 2012
Dat opening was sick, although not a big fan of having Departure around. Liked that they showed Kite as a kid, pretty cool although there was a big problem with this episode. The Gon/Kite flashback, I mean damn it Kite was part of the reason Gon set out on his journey and I feel like what Madhouse did to Gon/Kite relationship will lessen the impact of some of the later moments in this arc. I mean we barely got to even see the flashback.
Apr 20, 2013 9:19 PM

Nov 2009
They did screw up the flashback and what really happened but that is just a minor complaint.
Apr 20, 2013 9:24 PM
Nov 2009
WHAT THE FUCK
THEY DESTROY KITExGON RELATIONSHIP

Apr 20, 2013 9:24 PM

Apr 2012
The changed Gon-Kite backstory, but I guess this will work out somehow. I thought the original one was better though...

Besides that great episode. I was grinning so much when this episode started. I'm so excited!! This opening is so dark, it does not fit the song at all.

Let the Cell Games Begin!!

EDIT: Also forgot to mention.. I was surprised to hear Melody's theme in this episode.

Mikisi said:
WHAT THE FUCK

Yeah I feel the same way, they don't seem as close as they would with the original backstory, but then again Gon is the type of person that...
FrostToasterApr 22, 2013 5:12 AM
Apr 20, 2013 9:26 PM

Feb 2012
Mikisi said:
WHAT THE FUCK

Actually they destroyed the entire purpose of the series. Gon no longer has a reason to be a hunter seeing as Kite never said anything about Gin therefor gon never learned about hunters

Paradox stuff right there.
Apr 20, 2013 9:38 PM

Mar 2012
Gotta say, this "according to plan" repetition filler was as annoying as the flashback screw-up

Basically this episode was 75% unnecessary filler, but the Kite rifle scene was awesome still....

"Wanna know about Ging/One Piece? "
"Nah I'll find out on my own"
Can't help but feel One Piece was inspired by HxH here.
MikasaApr 20, 2013 9:43 PM
End Zionazism
Apr 20, 2013 9:47 PM

Mar 2012
Also the final scene talk about Hunters was originally done by Satotz (the examiner who has no mouth) after Gon passed the exam...ahhhh I'm still upset about the half-assed flashback that makes no sense.
End Zionazism
Apr 20, 2013 9:47 PM

Jul 2011
CHANGE THAT OPENING ALREADY. Are they planning to have it for 100+ episodes?? Seriously. I never liked it in the first place. :(

Chimera arc~
Apr 20, 2013 9:48 PM

Jan 2012
How many episodes do you think this arc will take to finish? This arc was about 200 chapters iirc.
Apr 20, 2013 9:52 PM
Oct 2008
prtorpedo said:
Dat opening was sick, although not a big fan of having Departure around. Liked that they showed Kite as a kid, pretty cool although there was a big problem with this episode. The Gon/Kite flashback, I mean damn it Kite was part of the reason Gon set out on his journey and I feel like what Madhouse did to Gon/Kite relationship will lessen the impact of some of the later moments in this arc. I mean we barely got to even see the flashback.

Will definitely make some future events awkward I never did understand why they didn't ever introduce Kite before still in the next couple episodes a whole ton of sh1ts gonna go down
Apr 20, 2013 9:55 PM

May 2012
Wow, they sure took some liberties with the whole Kite/Gon relationship. While it does bug me a bit, I don't think it should make that much of a difference though as long as their significance to each other is still recognized and effectively touched upon, hopefully it all will be soon within the next couple of episodes. Other than that little gripe, this episode still got me really hype for the upcoming Chimera Ant arc! Love the new opening animation, and I can't wait for certain characters to make their much awaited debuts!
"No matter how much of a genius one is, in front of the Uchiha name, they're just ordinary people." - Sasuke Uchiha

Apr 20, 2013 9:56 PM
Jun 2010
Disliked it. Changed the whole Kite meeting Gon thing. In the manga, Kite was the reason why Gon wanted to become a hunter and he told him about his father being alive. The filler of Kite's past was a bit meh and all the other stuff was as well. Still looking forward to this arc though. Just thought what they did with Kite and Gon makes what's to come less intense, in a way. 2/5 though.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Apr 20, 2013 10:00 PM
Jun 2010
jansen42 said:
How many episodes do you think this arc will take to finish? This arc was about 200 chapters iirc.

I estimate about 50. Took 75 episodes for 184 chapter.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Apr 20, 2013 10:19 PM

Jun 2012
I think some people just need to take a breath

It's only been one episode c'mon. You're saying the entire arc is ruined because Gon and Kite don't have as much of a deeper relationship right now as it did in the manga I understand that point of view.

In the anime's universe, Gon and Kite's connection as of this episode consists of

- Kite saved Gon from Foxbears
- Kite is Ging's student who looked for Ging just as Gon is doing now

We still don't know how the future is going to present itself, their relationship can and has to deepen from this point in order for the rest of the arc to make sense in this particular adaptation. Point is wait until the arc is further in before making these judgments!! The same thing now is happening that occurred during the Chimera Ant arc's release as a manga in its many hiatus', criticizing without seeing the entire picture! Now, its story is highly lauded.

Not saying it can't get worse but judging something partway doesn't make sense

In the reboot Gon becomes a Hunter because he was told(common knowledge on Whale Island in the anime) he was abandoned by his dad was to become one. So Gon's goals in episode 1 were

1. Find out what's so great about being a Hunter it can make a father abandon his son
2. Along the way find Ging

The anime's universe still makes sense. It's a different permutation of the way it happened in the manga however.
HybridMBLApr 20, 2013 11:08 PM
Apr 20, 2013 10:25 PM
Nov 2012
I'd say about 50 episodes to catch up to where the manga is now. Maybe about 40 total for this arc and then another 10 for the next.
Apr 20, 2013 10:28 PM

Jun 2009
I knew people would freak out as soon as I watched the episode and they changed Kite and Gon's relationship. I'll wait and see before freaking out, though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 20, 2013 10:28 PM
Jul 2008
Seriously, still going with the old opening song? I mean it's a good song but after hearing almost any song for like two years it will make even the best of a tune feel old. You're not making the cool looking opening justice if you it like this Madhouse, you can do better than this :(
Check out my YouTube channel, all about retro and smaller games:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Teedyan
Apr 20, 2013 10:35 PM
Apr 2013
Calm down people...

Think for a second... isn't it quite possible MADHOUSE might create something else to explain the plot hole...

GASP! It's so simple!
Apr 20, 2013 10:45 PM

Apr 2012
Well, I also thought it was weird that they would change the nature of the relationship between Kite and Gon. Perhaps Madhouse simply wanted a reason to justify not showing the Kite-Gon meeting earlier by changing it from a defining moment in Gon's life to a not so defining one. Who knows; but, regardless, it's not really that big of a deal for me - especially at such an early stage in the story.

Anyway, this episode was pretty decent - it was mainly just a prelude, so nothing terribly exciting yet. Looking forward to things starting up in earnest next week though.
Apr 20, 2013 10:55 PM

Aug 2008
They just had to change the flashback. Maybe they'll make it work out somehow hopefully. I never liked those chimera...
Apr 20, 2013 10:55 PM
Feb 2012
Gotta love that convenient amnesia plot device.
Apr 20, 2013 11:14 PM

Jan 2011
Ging = Gon
Kite = Killua
[center]
Apr 20, 2013 11:23 PM
Mar 2012
lets just face it
We all have read the manga
We all have watched the 1999 version
We all Know whats truly happened so..
lets just look at the bright side
Now we all are not regret because we read the manga XD

I guess there will be more changes from the manga in the future XD
Apr 20, 2013 11:28 PM

Jun 2009
Reme-Chan said:
lets just face it
We all have read the manga
We all have watched the 1999 version
We all Know whats truly happened so..
lets just look at the bright side
Now we all are not regret because we read the manga XD

I guess there will be more changes from the manga in the future XD

I haven't read the manga or seen all of the '99 version. But, man, if you actually read some of the posts in this sub-forum you'd see that, while a bit puzzling, this isn't really as terrible of a change as you seem to think.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 20, 2013 11:49 PM
Feb 2012
Also I'm sincerely hoping the "Ging planned EVERYTHING" is just a big troll by Madhouse.
Apr 20, 2013 11:59 PM

Oct 2011
Well, I hate to say I told ya folks so, but I told ya so. All of these people who a week ago were extremely hyped for the CA stuff already flipped after 1 episode saying the whole damn thing is ruined because Madhouse handled it differently.

While they did change how some things went down, I think saying "it ruined the whole purpose of the series" is a little overdramatic.... what the hell am I saying, it's down right outrageous.

Gon still met Kaito before deciding to become a Hunter, he still became a Hunter in order to find Ging, his encounter with the foxbears still happened the same way, Gon still became a Hunter, he's still searching for his dad and everything. So quit with the bullshit that the whole series is ruined.

I understand completely why people are upset because of the way Madhouse portrayed the scene but the most important parts were pressed upon which were:

Hybridbloodszak said:

- Kite is Ging's student who looked for Ging just as Gon is doing now.
Apr 21, 2013 12:02 AM
Feb 2012
I've heard some people complain that Kite knew about the Chimera Ants too early
but actually in the manga it is heavily implied that Kite always knew about Chimera Ants
as he explains what they are.

Apr 21, 2013 12:04 AM

Nov 2011
The arc seems so...different from what i've come to expect of the show.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 21, 2013 12:09 AM

Jun 2009
Zee530 said:

How so? I mean things haven't even really got started. Aside from the opening and endings, which I agree had a feeling of foreboding, it felt more or less the same to me.

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 21, 2013 12:13 AM
Apr 2013
After thinking it through, I realize that Gon doesn't have his father's license in this version so that took care of one plothole that I was worried about. As for how Gon knew about Ging, he could have easily found out by questioning the residents of Whale Island as episode 1 showed they know who Ging is. So yeah... I think people are now completely over reacting and not thinking outside the box. And if that one plothole remains, big whoop. Are you gonna telll me your favorite anime has not a single plothole?
Apr 21, 2013 12:14 AM
Dec 2012
Guys... we're in for something special. This episode was downright amazing; I have ongoing nerd chills. Seriously, I can't hype this enough. The soundtrack especially was spot on. The OP and ED fit the bill completely as well. Wow, stunned.

ftr I've read the manga and watched the first adaptation and consider it at least a point better than this new one. However, this is new, unchartered territory we're venturing into. Perhaps because it's been animated finally after so long - perhaps that is overloading my senses, but at any rate it's still here and every sunday for the next ever.

By far the best day of the week, HxH is easily the best written shonen and deserves all the time in the world. Now we just have to reel back Togashi from his Dragonquest stupor and have him write the next arc at least. God Damn You, You Genius!
Apr 21, 2013 12:16 AM

Jan 2009
lol that opening song will never change ever!!! but waiting for more episodes XD
Apr 21, 2013 12:20 AM
Dec 2012
fearthebeard85 said:
Well, I hate to say I told ya folks so, but I told ya so. All of these people who a week ago were extremely hyped for the CA stuff already flipped after 1 episode saying the whole damn thing is ruined because Madhouse handled it differently.

While they did change how some things went down, I think saying "it ruined the whole purpose of the series" is a little overdramatic.... what the hell am I saying, it's down right outrageous.

Gon still met Kaito before deciding to become a Hunter, he still became a Hunter in order to find Ging, his encounter with the foxbears still happened the same way, Gon still became a Hunter, he's still searching for his dad and everything. So quit with the bullshit that the whole series is ruined.

I understand completely why people are upset because of the way Madhouse portrayed the scene but the most important parts were pressed upon which were:

Hybridbloodszak said:

Rightio, but I'll have to disagree with the understanding of their perspective. It is - absolutely - outrageous. I'd like to offer these people an out now from this series, and good riddance.
Apr 21, 2013 12:20 AM
Dec 2012
fearthebeard85 said:

Hybridbloodszak said:

Rightio, but I'll have to disagree with the understanding of their perspective. It is - absolutely - outrageous. I'd like to offer these people an out now from this series, and good riddance.
Apr 21, 2013 12:31 AM
Mar 2012
Well that wasn't too bad, I like some of the tv original content but kaito still seems distant
Apr 21, 2013 12:31 AM

Nov 2011
WTF The ugly headache-inducing "Departure" is here to stay *crawls into hole*
Apr 21, 2013 12:37 AM

Jul 2007
jansen42 said:

it is going to be pretty large, hopefully free of filler. But where the manga is now, its hard to say what will happen. Could pad it out to the extreme, until togashi decides to draw more lol. Or they can just end it at the end of the arc or possibly the chairman election arc and then put it on hiatus for a while. I hope the later is actually what happens.

insan3soldiern said:
I knew people would freak out as soon as I watched the episode and they changed Kite and Gon's relationship. I'll wait and see before freaking out, though.

Practically everyone in here is freaken out bout that. lol I say don't judge yet, this is only the first episode and their is always a chance they will include the information between Kite and gon's relations at a later point.

Apr 21, 2013 1:03 AM

Oct 2011
Ah, The long awaited Chimeria Ant arc *sniff* I'm so happy.
Ahg It was a bad idea to watch this at 1 am. This arc is where it get's scary! It's nice to see Neferpitou and the others finally animated! This is so exciting, I've waited years for this!
Apr 21, 2013 1:13 AM

Jul 2010
OP Y U NO CHANGE!? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Visuals are great. SPOILERS EVERYWHERE though

And people getting too butthurt on Gon and Kite. The important points were there, and there's time for Gon and Kite

Trust me, this wasn't the worst of MH. In fact, I find some of their earlier blunders more disappointing.
The big brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
Apr 21, 2013 1:16 AM
Nov 2012
Hahaha, that crazy slot clown: What? That's it? Let's go nuts man!

I wish there'd be more interaction between Kite and that clown.
Apr 21, 2013 1:19 AM

Nov 2011
insan3soldiern said:
Zee530 said:

How so? I mean things haven't even really got started. Aside from the opening and endings, which I agree had a feeling of foreboding, it felt more or less the same to me.

I don't know how Togashi works since i don't read the manga but all the arcs seem a bit....'disconnected', the hunter universe itself seems to be lacking a general theme holding everything together.

The 1st arc with the exam was okay, but after that Nen seems to be suddenly introduced out of nowhere, the concept of G.I seemed a bit??? and now we have mutant ants. This is just the debacles of an anime only watcher, despite it's randomness, it's still the best shounen i've seen so far.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 21, 2013 1:28 AM

Jul 2010
Zee530 said:
I don't know how Togashi works since i don't read the manga but all the arcs seem a bit....'disconnected', the hunter universe itself seems to be lacking a general theme holding everything together.

The 1st arc with the exam was okay, but after that Nen seems to be suddenly introduced out of nowhere, the concept of G.I seemed a bit??? and now we have mutant ants.
THIS; my only problem with HxH. While it's true that the arcs are great on their own, these arcs seemed to occur on different universes; the themes for each arc are so unrelated that connecting them as if they are part of one big plot made me felt awkward.
The big brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
Apr 21, 2013 1:28 AM

Jun 2009
Zee530 said:
insan3soldiern said:
Zee530 said:

The 1st arc with the exam was okay, but after that Nen seems to be suddenly introduced out of nowhere, the concept of G.I seemed a bit??? and now we have mutant ants. This is just the debacles of an anime only watcher, despite it's randomness, it's still the best shounen i've seen so far.

Honestly, when I first saw the original anime series I thought Nen came out of nowhere as well. But, watching this version I realized that Nen was even present in the Hunter Exam. Hisoka was using it all that time, as well as others, it's just our four protagonists had no idea about and so neither did we as the viewers.

As far as Greed Island that was brought up even before the Yorkshin Arc so that didn't come out of nowhere. Honestly, as a guy who has watched quite a bit of shounen, I've been pretty impressed by how well this series is put together. To me, pretty much every arc has bled into the others really well.

It's true, though, that each arc seems to have it's own "tone" or "theme", though. But, I like that as it keeps the show very fresh.

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 21, 2013 1:41 AM

Jul 2009
Bigbuffoon said:
Zee530 said:

The 1st arc with the exam was okay, but after that Nen seems to be suddenly introduced out of nowhere, the concept of G.I seemed a bit??? and now we have mutant ants.
THIS; my only problem with HxH. While it's true that the arcs are great on their own, these arcs seemed to occur on different universes; the themes for each arc are so unrelated that connecting them as if they are part of one big plot made me felt awkward.

I agree. This is probably why I can't make HxH one of my top favorites even though I really like the series. Everything is awesome in it's own way but so random at the same time.

Mikasa said:
Can't help but feel One Piece was inspired by HxH here.

Wat?
This is a signature.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 78 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

gedata - May 4, 2013

150 by Nerdason »»
Today, 5:50 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 77 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

HybridMBL - Apr 27, 2013

264 by Nerdason »»
Today, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kefkiroth - Nov 5, 2011

186 by Tenhopaugordinho »»
Yesterday, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Keiz - Oct 29, 2011

174 by Tenhopaugordinho »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 75 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

HybridMBL - Apr 13, 2013

239 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 7:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.