Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 23, 2013 12:11 PM

Mar 2012
So topic says everything.Is it the life we live 100% real? Does reality even exist or aren't we in just a big dream called Illusion where we live in a imaginary world and don't know nothing about the others except what they tell us? Can we even say that we know someone?
Within all this side questions, the main question is this: "Can we say we're living in reality?", Think about it
"A shinobi who violates the rules is scum, but a shinobi who abandons their friends is worse than scum" - Uchiha Obito
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 23, 2013 12:15 PM

Nov 2011
Kill yourself to find out
The Art of Eight
Jan 23, 2013 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
Cartesian doubt.

Dec 2009
I'm sitting down in a table with my laptop in my college, in the library, typing this to you right now.
Reality.

Aug 2011
dankickyou said:

Yes, because that's obviously the most logical way to find out.

Jan 23, 2013 12:17 PM

Dec 2009
Just breathing right now and moving in any kind of action is 'reality'.
Sorry but this is a stupid question.

Ask yourself the opposite, "whats an illusion?"
Jan 23, 2013 12:18 PM

Oct 2009
philiphos said:
So topic says everything.Is it the life we live 100% real? Does reality even exist or aren't we in just a big dream called Illusion where we live in a imaginary world and don't know nothing about the others except what they tell us? Can we even say that we know someone?
Within all this side questions, the main question is this: "Can we say we're living in reality?", Think about it

We do not know if what our conscious is perceiving, aka (our perceived) reality, is the Ultimate Reality.

We do know that the Ultimate Reality does exist though, since that Ultimate Reality, and therefore the truth, IS existence itself.
Jan 23, 2013 12:19 PM

Mar 2012
waalex11 said:
I'm sitting down in a table with my laptop in my college, in the library, typing this to you right now.
Reality.

Oh my, you are so sure of yourself, but have you ever thought that that thing you call table can be something else and that that college can be your mind giving you fooling you?
"A shinobi who violates the rules is scum, but a shinobi who abandons their friends is worse than scum" - Uchiha Obito
Jan 23, 2013 12:20 PM

Dec 2009
RandomChampion said:
philiphos said:

We do not know if what our conscious is perceiving, aka (our perceived) reality, id the Ultimate Reality.

We do know that the Ultimate Reality does exist though, since that Ultimate Reality, and therefore the truth, is existence itself.

Not telling you to answer because I actually don't want or need you to .... but what the fuck are you talking about?
Jan 23, 2013 12:21 PM
May 2012
Itami-chan said:
dankickyou said:

Yes, because that's obviously the most logical way to find out.
lol.

Escape Reality.

Nov 2011
philiphos said:
waalex11 said:
Reality.

Oh my, you are so sure of yourself, but have you ever thought that that thing you call table can be something else and that that college can be your mind giving you fooling you?

Have you ever thought that perhaps you are a chocobo?
The Art of Eight

Oct 2009
waalex11 said:
RandomChampion said:
philiphos said:

We do not know if what our conscious is perceiving, aka (our perceived) reality, id the Ultimate Reality.

We do know that the Ultimate Reality does exist though, since that Ultimate Reality, and therefore the truth, is existence itself.

Not telling you to answer because I actually don't want or need you to .... but what the fuck are you talking about?

don't worry, commoners dont need to concern themselves with what i'm talking about
Jan 23, 2013 12:22 PM

Mar 2012
waalex11 said:
RandomChampion said:
philiphos said:

What am I saying, or what is someone, pretending to be me, saying?
You don't know me you don't know Reality *.*
Jan 23, 2013 12:22 PM

Dec 2009
philiphos said:
waalex11 said:
Reality.

philiphos said:
waalex11 said:
Reality.

Lol. Are you serious? I thought you were just asking a stupid questions but seems your actually stupid.
That sucks for you.
Jan 23, 2013 12:23 PM

Mar 2012
waalex11 said:
Just breathing right now and moving in any kind of action is 'reality'.
Sorry but this is a stupid question.

Ask yourself the opposite, "whats an illusion?"

Reality, or an imaginary reality?
Jan 23, 2013 12:24 PM

Jul 2010
The priest at my local pastafarianism church taught me that the world we live in isn't reality or an illusion. This is something that goes beyond our imagination and mere mortals like us cannot understand.

Dec 2009
Well, damn~ .... I don't think I need to post anything else. Bye.
May 2012
Corleone said:
The priest at my local pastafarianism church taught me that the world we live in isn't reality or an illusion. This is something that goes beyond our imagination and mere mortals like us cannot understand.
Like God?
Jan 23, 2013 12:26 PM

Mar 2012
waalex11 said:
philiphos said:
waalex11 said:
Reality.

philiphos said:
waalex11 said:
Reality.

Lol. Are you serious? I thought you were just asking a stupid questions but seems your actually stupid.
That sucks for you.

First of all you can stop with the personal attacks and second of all if you can't argue stop acting like a sucker
Jan 23, 2013 12:29 PM

Oct 2012
Ok, so if i stab myself, i will feel pain? Yes. Reality exists.

[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/CodeHavoc1992&sclick=1][IMG]http://cdn.myanimelist.net/

Jan 23, 2013 12:29 PM

Sep 2011
4deep8me

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 23, 2013 12:30 PM

Mar 2011
I love it how a tool arguing a point that I believe makes me want my own view to be wrong.

Anyway, even if our world is a deception, we can never prove it, the only thing that we know for certain exists is our own mind, hence that quote "I think therefore I am".
Jan 23, 2013 12:31 PM
Jul 2018
One can only be absolute sure about his own thoughts and what you, yourself are experiencing (what you see or hear etcetera), you can't say for 100% accuracy that other people are just the same, that they see the very same things that you see when looking at the very same spot. They may or may not just be ''illusions''.

So no. It's really not such a stupid question, I don't particularly believe this is true or not, but I don't really dismiss the thought of it neither.
Jan 23, 2013 12:33 PM

Mar 2012
Amadyeus said:
One can only be absolute sure about his own thoughts and what you, yourself are experiencing (what you see or hear etcetera), you can't say for 100% accuracy that other people are just the same, that they see the very same things that you see when looking at the very same spot. They may or may not just be ''illusions''.

So no. It's really not such a stupid question, I don't particularly believe this is true or not, but I don't really dismiss the thought of it neither.

I never said Reality exists or not, But it's hard to know if we can reach it *.*
Jan 23, 2013 12:34 PM

Mar 2011
philiphos said:
Amadyeus said:

I never said Reality exists or not, But it's hard to know if we can reach it *.*

We can never know for certain that what we are experiencing is reality or a lie. There is no way to prove it.
Jan 23, 2013 12:36 PM

Oct 2012
You'll most likely die before you find an answer.
Jan 23, 2013 12:36 PM

Sep 2011
InfiniteRyvius said:
philiphos said:
Amadyeus said:

We can never know for certain that what we are experiencing is reality or a lie. There is no way to prove it.
in other words, its a complete waste of our limited time to bother thinking about it or spending time on it

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 23, 2013 12:39 PM

Mar 2011
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
philiphos said:
Amadyeus said:

in other words, its a complete waste of our limited time to bother thinking about it or spending time on it

Much like the existence of God, despite the fact no one can prove it people love arguing about it anyways.
Jan 23, 2013 1:08 PM

Dec 2010
OP I think you should start by defining what you believe to be reality, and what you believe to be an illusion. Can you have an illusion within an illusion for instance? If not, then there must exist something besides that illusion, which we have defined as reality. Of course, this isn't to say that you can't be stuck in an illusion forever, it's just to say that if an illusion exists, reality exists as well, even if you are unable to see it.
Jan 23, 2013 1:09 PM

Feb 2010
Reality is the sum of all viewpoints. But that culmination isn't necessarily the truth.

#2deep4me
Jan 23, 2013 1:17 PM

Mar 2012
Ryvius you said that no one can prove God's existence right?
Well actually what happens is that you can't neither prove if he exists or not, it's a question of faith.
philiphosJan 23, 2013 1:24 PM
Jan 23, 2013 1:35 PM

Mar 2011
I meant that no one could prove it either way, much like here. I would have thought that was obvious.
Jan 23, 2013 1:40 PM

Apr 2012
Here's a little test. Punch yourself in the face. If it hurts. Let me know.
Jan 23, 2013 1:43 PM

Sep 2012
Jan 23, 2013 1:44 PM

Apr 2011
I thought Descartes already answered this question.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Jan 23, 2013 1:48 PM

Aug 2012
Wasn't this already a thread? *sigh*

Is this the sweet life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality.

(yes, I'm doing it again because these threads, ugh)
Jan 23, 2013 1:51 PM

Dec 2010
MellowJello said:

Is this the sweet life?
Is this just fantasy?

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=548093

Go figure, it's by the same kid.
Jan 23, 2013 1:53 PM

Mar 2012
Legendre said:
OP I think you should start by defining what you believe to be reality, and what you believe to be an illusion. Can you have an illusion within an illusion for instance? If not, then there must exist something besides that illusion, which we have defined as reality. Of course, this isn't to say that you can't be stuck in an illusion forever, it's just to say that if an illusion exists, reality exists as well, even if you are unable to see i
Legendre said:
OP I think you should start by defining what you believe to be reality, and what you believe to be an illusion. Can you have an illusion within an illusion for instance? If not, then there must exist something besides that illusion, which we have defined as reality. Of course, this isn't to say that you can't be stuck in an illusion forever, it's just to say that if an illusion exists, reality exists as well, even if you are unable to see it.

Reality is what we Humans seek but can't reach you can say that you see me and other people do and so that's Reality but: NO!, you're only seeing the outside me if you ever had the chance to see the true Inside of an human body you would be scared. Then all of you say: but by that point of view doctors live in a reality they work with bodies, but that's not totally right they approach to reality but never get it ^^
Jan 23, 2013 1:55 PM

Mar 2012
Legendre said:
MellowJello said:

Is this the sweet life?
Is this just fantasy?

Go figure, it's by the same kid.

I created that topic for a different reason, here we're discussing reality. don't mix up things
Jan 23, 2013 2:18 PM

Jun 2012
The Problems of Philsophy

Chapter II, discussion of reality

taken from Betrand Russell's "Problems of Philosophy"

Thus if we cannot be sure of the independent existence
of objects, we shall be left alone in a desert, it may be that the
whole outer world is nothing but a dream, and that we alone exist.
This is an uncomfortable possibility; but although it cannot be strictly proved to be false, there is not the slightest reason to
suppose that it is true.

basically in philosophy you start off with givens and one of the givens in philosophy is that we exist and other people do (empiricism)
the burden of proof lies on idealists to prove why our sensory data is wrong (which can not happen) to prove that our reality is different.

"When we have enumerated all the sense-data which we should
naturally regard as connected with the table, have we said all there
is to say about the table, or is there still something else, something
not a sense-datum, something which persists when we go out of the
room? Common sense unhesitatingly answers that there is. What can be
bought and sold and pushed about and have a cloth laid on it, and so on, cannot be a mere collection of sense-data. If the cloth
completely hides the table, we shall derive no sense-data from the
table, and therefore, if the table were merely sense-data, it would
have ceased to exist, and the cloth would be suspended in empty air,
resting, by a miracle, in the place where the table formerly was.
This seems plainly absurd; but whoever wishes to become a philosopher
must learn not to be frightened by absurdities."

"I bought my table from the former occupant of my room; I could not buy his
sense-data, which died when he went away, but I could and did buy the
confident expectation of more or less similar sense-data. Thus it is
the fact that different people have similar sense-data, and that one
person in a given place at different times has similar sense-data,
which makes us suppose that over and above the sense-data there is a
permanent public object which underlies or causes the sense-data of
various people at various times. "

"The way in which simplicity comes in from supposing that there really
are physical objects is easily seen. If the cat appears at one moment
in one part of the room, and at another in another part, it is natural
to suppose that it has moved from the one to the other, passing over a
series of intermediate positions. But if it is merely a set of
sense-data, it cannot have ever been in any place where I did not see
it; thus we shall have to suppose that it did not exist at all while I
was not looking, but suddenly sprang into being in a new place. If
the cat exists whether I see it or not, we can understand from our own
experience how it gets hungry between one meal and the next; but if it
does not exist when I am not seeing it, it seems odd that appetite
should grow during non-existence as fast as during existence. And if
the cat consists only of sense-data, it cannot be hungry, since no
hunger but my own can be a sense-datum to me. Thus the behaviour of
the sense-data which represent the cat to me, though it seems quite
natural when regarded as an expression of hunger, becomes utterly
inexplicable when regarded as mere movements and changes of patches of
colour, which are as incapable of hunger as a triangle is of playing
football"

"Thus every principle of simplicity urges us to
adopt the natural view, that there really are objects other than
ourselves and our sense-data which have an existence not dependent
upon our perceiving them. "

Even if no one can sum up life as anything more than the sum of your experiences and your own existence (if you doubt your own existence you will stop existing but you can't and you continue existing therefore you do) but the burden of proof against empiricism is not met and empiricism is simply more beautiful and simple of a proof. Therefore our reality is what our senses perceive.

This is strong knowledge (ie. our sensory data). vs. weak knowledge (ie idealism)
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Jan 23, 2013 2:30 PM

Jan 2011
Just this

Duh.
Jan 23, 2013 2:51 PM

Dec 2010
philiphos said:
Reality is what we Humans seek but can't reach

That might be your perception, but it certainly is not the definition. This question has been answered several times over since Descartes, but only within the guidelines of how we define reality and how we define illusion. If you go outside those guidelines, as you have many times in this thread, then there are no rules, and there are no answers.
Jan 23, 2013 2:52 PM

Sep 2011
dunno dun care
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Jan 23, 2013 2:54 PM

Sep 2007
You should stop delving any further before Agent Smith comes after you.
Jan 23, 2013 3:12 PM

Jul 2012
reality or not? each of us views the world in a different light. your thoughts, opinions, emotions, outlook, blah blah blah will never be the same as another persons
perhaps that suggests at least one veil of illusion
Jan 23, 2013 3:16 PM

Oct 2011
Reality,exist or just mere a illusion?

Yes....
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Jan 23, 2013 3:19 PM

Dec 2010
NNick said:
To answer this question both reality and illusion must be defined.

You can not answer to this question with one word, a sentence or a few paragraphs.

Nevertheless, why ask to these people, they're more interested into cheap shallow things that require no thinking.

Legendre said:
philiphos said:
Reality is what we Humans seek but can't reach

That might be your perception, but it certainly is not the definition. This question has been answered several times over since Descartes, but only within the guidelines of how we define reality and how we define illusion. If you go outside those guidelines, as you have many times in this thread, then there are no rules, and there are no answers.

Damn, now you look like an asshole.
Jan 23, 2013 3:31 PM

Mar 2012
It's a conspiracy.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 23, 2013 3:42 PM

Oct 2012
<Insert a pic of Goku here>
No, we definitely exist.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Jan 23, 2013 4:54 PM

Jun 2012
trinity12 said:
Just this

I thought about the same exact thing too. ^^
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» The growing link between extreme rain and respiratory health in Japan

Meusnier - 3 hours ago

3 by LoveYourSmile »»
25 minutes ago

» Are video games a waste of time and money?? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - May 27

92 by DesuMaiden »»
57 minutes ago

» Travel to Europe. Pls help

labellim - Feb 4, 2022

21 by MakaylaCarney »»
2 hours ago

» balance b/w creative freedom and general censorship

ame - 5 hours ago

5 by LoveYourSmile »»
2 hours ago

» The Curse of Overtourism

Meusnier - May 21

24 by LoveYourSmile »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.