Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you know is good, but dislike anyway?

New
Dec 16, 2012 7:28 PM

Dec 2012
Pretty self explanatory, what quality series just never clicked with you?
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 16, 2012 7:29 PM

Nov 2012
Guslinger girl, which is odd considering i like loli shows.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 16, 2012 7:30 PM

Oct 2012
Fate/Zero is the most recent for me.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 16, 2012 7:40 PM

May 2012
Death Note
Dec 16, 2012 7:58 PM

Mar 2012
Clannad and Steins Gate. Both started off dull which killed it for me.

I can also see how Fate/Zero can be looked this way as well.
Dec 16, 2012 8:11 PM

Dec 2012
clannad i just could not get into the anime even though it looks good.
Dec 16, 2012 8:19 PM

Jul 2012
One Piece, Gintama, Lovely Complex, Toradora, and many more I'm certain.

mapotofuu said:
Death Note

Can someone who is not an avid fan explain this to me? Conceptually it seems very good, but across the episodes I've watched I don't think much of it personally.
AmaraeDec 16, 2012 8:23 PM
Dec 16, 2012 8:35 PM

Jun 2009
no_good_name said:

You call that a loli show?! There are little girls, I give you that, but come on! They're not even in there to be cute and lovely!

As for me...

Nope, if a show is good, I wont dislike it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2012 8:37 PM

Oct 2012
Berserk.
Claymore.

But surprisingly I enjoyed Elfen Lied and Psycho Pass.
Distant emotions caressed by darkness in a field of imagination; stars.
Dec 16, 2012 8:37 PM

Nov 2012
AirStyles said:
no_good_name said:

You call that a loli show?! There are little girls, I give you that, but come on! They're not even in there to be cute and lovely!

As for me...

What i consider to be loli seems to differ to most people, it doesnt have to be sexualised, just cute (i know its odd)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 16, 2012 8:42 PM

Jun 2009
no_good_name said:
AirStyles said:
no_good_name said:

As for me...

What i consider to be loli seems to differ to most people, it doesnt have to be sexualised, just cute (i know its odd)

Cute? Yeah, they're pretty cute in appearance. I give you that, but...

I mean, I can see where you're coming from. But I just found it very misleading to call a show like Gunslinger Girl a "loli" show. People might get the image of little girls with guns doing cute things.

It's like calling Madoka Magica a cute magical girl show, or claiming that Neon Genesis and Bokurano is about giant robots fighting. (Which is only half true)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2012 8:49 PM

Jul 2012
AirStyles said:

It's like calling Madoka Magica a cute magical girl show,

It.. It's not? I was going to watch that soon..
Dec 16, 2012 8:51 PM

Jun 2009
Amarae said:
AirStyles said:

For what it's worth, it's half true. Take it from me... Watch it.
Dec 16, 2012 8:52 PM

Nov 2012
Amarae said:
AirStyles said:

Alot of basement dwellers here think it's "deep". Really it's nothing special, just a mahou shoujo with a weird ending.
Dec 16, 2012 8:52 PM

Nov 2009
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

I dont know I just don't like it.
Dec 16, 2012 8:54 PM

Jun 2009
SSJgoku91 said:

Alot of basement dwellers here think it's "deep". Really it's nothing special, just a mahou shoujo with a weird ending.

Deep? Maybe

Different from typical image of mahou shoujo? Definitely.
Dec 16, 2012 8:57 PM

Nov 2012
AirStyles said:
SSJgoku91 said:

Deep? Maybe

I think alot of people only like it for that very reason, it's a mahou shoujo where people die and doesn't have a happy ending. Would it be as great if it were the only mahou shoujo?
Dec 16, 2012 8:59 PM

Sep 2012
Azumanga Daioh. "Dislike" might be a strong word, but I certainly can't say I like it.
Dec 16, 2012 9:03 PM
Sep 2011
mapotofuu said:
Death Note

Same. It's not a bad show for what it is, a thinking person's anime, but without a likable character to root for I just can't enjoy it.

Bakemonogatari is another that is probably amazing for what it is, but those things aren't to my taste at all.
Dec 16, 2012 9:26 PM

Jun 2009
SSJgoku91 said:
AirStyles said:
SSJgoku91 said:

Deep? Maybe

I think alot of people only like it for that very reason, it's a mahou shoujo where people die and doesn't have a happy ending. Would it be as great if it were the only mahou shoujo?

It's different is only part of it's charm.

The common theme is pretty much "Is the miracle worth the sacrifices", while at the same time making the viewer questions how they see things everyday.

It's not just a as simple as "People don't always survive", or "May not have a happy ending" as it's main catch.
Dec 16, 2012 9:35 PM

Nov 2008
Was Mononoke good? It seemed to be, but I couldn't tell. I could barely pay attention to it. "Dislike" is too strong a word, though.

Dec 16, 2012 9:37 PM
Dec 2012
Steins Gate had a slow start for me. I dropped it, but might pick it up again.
Dec 16, 2012 9:41 PM

Jun 2010
Steins;Gate. It was just so boring at the beginning for me.
Dec 16, 2012 9:46 PM

Jul 2012
SSJgoku91 said:
it's a mahou shoujo where people die and doesn't have a happy ending. Would it be as great if it were the only mahou shoujo?

This is not the cutesy, adorableness I signed on for..

AirStyles said:

For what it's worth, it's half true. Take it from me... Watch it.

I will, I'm just worried it's going to be a bit.. dark, now.
AmaraeDec 16, 2012 9:49 PM
Dec 16, 2012 9:51 PM

Jun 2009
Amarae said:

I will, I'm just worried it's going to be a bit.. dark now.

Well... There were reports of Japanese parents escape the theater with their elementary age child during Madoka movies...

A bit dark, yes. It is a bit dark(some call this an understatement, which I partially agree). Heck, some Cardcaptor episode are dark imo.

It's not that bad. Here's an advice, watch 3 episode. If you can handle it, watch the rest. (It's more psychological than physical, blood are quite limited and almost no signs of gore.)
AirStylesDec 16, 2012 9:55 PM
Dec 16, 2012 9:54 PM

Jul 2012
AirStyles said:
Amarae said:

I will, I'm just worried it's going to be a bit.. dark now.

Well... There were reports of Japanese parents escape the theater with their elementary age child during Madoka movies...

It's not that bad. Here's an advice, watch 3 episode. If you can handle it, watch the rest. (It's more psychological than physical, blood are quite limited and almost no signs of gore.)

Alright, as soon as I finish Joshiraku, thank you.
Dec 16, 2012 9:55 PM

Nov 2012
Amarae said:
SSJgoku91 said:
it's a mahou shoujo where people die and doesn't have a happy ending. Would it be as great if it were the only mahou shoujo?

This is not the cutesy, adorableness I signed on for..

I will, I'm just worried it's going to be a bit.. dark, now.

If that's what you're looking for there's really no shortage of what you want. Watch the Pretty cure series.
Dec 16, 2012 9:57 PM

Sep 2012
Riptos said:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

I dont know I just don't like it.
Dec 16, 2012 10:08 PM

Jul 2012
SSJgoku91 said:

If that's what you're looking for there's really no shortage of what you want. Watch the Pretty cure series.

Tepidly interested, I will look into this thank you.
Dec 16, 2012 10:12 PM
Sep 2011
Amarae said:
SSJgoku91 said:

This is not the cutesy, adorableness I signed on for...

>Signed up for cutesy adorableness.

>Dropped Cardcaptor Sakura.

I don't know how to help you. T_T

Ojamajo Doremi is the only other thing I could recommend, as imo, CCS is the best the Magical Girl genre has to offer.
Dec 16, 2012 10:13 PM

Dec 2011
Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I know it was revolutionary. I know it had some good psychological stuff going on. I know the characters were supposed to be realistic and deconstructions of stereotypes.

But I didn't like it.
Dec 16, 2012 10:15 PM
Nov 2012
Baccano! and Gintama. They have good ratings and should be better than some of the anime I've completed, but I don't really want to watch em.
Dec 16, 2012 10:18 PM

Jul 2012
RLinksoul said:
Amarae said:
SSJgoku91 said:

Ojamajo Doremi is the only other thing I could recommend, as imo, CCS is the best the Magical Girl genre has to offer.

>Read the Manga, Was awesome

>Watched the first 5 episodes, couldn't stand the animation.

I do not at all like CLAMPS animation...
Dec 16, 2012 10:21 PM

Dec 2011
Amarae said:
RLinksoul said:
Amarae said:
SSJgoku91 said:

>Read the Manga, Was awesome

>Watched the first 5 episodes, couldn't stand the animation.

I do not at all like CLAMPS animation...

If that's the problem, try Kobato. It's almost as adorable as Cardcaptor Sakura, but it's much more recent, so the animation shouldn't be a problem.
Dec 16, 2012 10:25 PM

May 2012
Amarae said:

mapotofuu said:
Death Note

Can someone who is not an avid fan explain this to me? Conceptually it seems very good, but across the episodes I've watched I don't think much of it personally.

Great concept,great animation but none of the female characters appeal to me.I need at least one female character that I can look up to.And too much hatred toward Misa made me dislike the show.
Dec 16, 2012 10:27 PM

Jun 2009
Zeta Gundam. I know it's iconic and considered by many to be the best of the Gundam series but I just can not "connect" with the characters and find myself wondering "wtf are they doing?" at certain points and I don't like that it seems to throw a battle scene out there every episode just for the sake of it. But, come to think of it, this is a problem I have with every Tomino directed Gundam I've seen as of yet.

Hunter X Hunter. Some of the parts of the Hunter exam just weren't all that interesting to me, yet the writing seemed to be of a pretty high standard and the Phantom Troupe arc is fantastic. I also don't care much for Gon. Yet, I somehow love the 2011 version and like Gon there, probably because I appreciate the subtle differences between the two portrayal (but this is the case for the other characters as well).

Code Geass. It's an entertaining show with some interesting twists and turn and a fun to watch main character, but it relied to much on twists that really, imo, didn't make a whole lot of sense. I refuse to put R2 on this list, though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 16, 2012 10:37 PM

Jun 2010
Amarae said:

mapotofuu said:
Death Note

One of the bigger reasons why I sorta dislike it too is just, conceptually, I don't like the idea of a nerd sitting in his room writing names to kill people. It's pretty lame. Light is a complete asshole throughout; I think many people enjoy seeing how twisted he is, but it makes me hate him more. The name "Kira" wasn't his idea, that was what he was dubbed by people, and he ran with it. He loved being "God".

Another thing that makes me mad is how silly it can be, and certain things it does to try to keep things interesting. There's more over the top moments then the infamous "take a potato chip and eat it" line. When you watch closely, the show will try to make the smallest things seem dramatic, making the whole show feel ridiculous.

OT: I guess I'll say Lain. It's not really a bad show, let alone awkward character design and animation. It's just really weird and confusing, and I could just never enjoy it.
Dec 16, 2012 10:51 PM
Oct 2012
Code Geass
Death Note
SAO
Anything by Gainax
Dec 16, 2012 11:16 PM
Sep 2009
The works of Makoto Shinkai... they're good, but I always found them kind of dull.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Dec 16, 2012 11:24 PM

Jul 2012
Orange_Afro said:
Amarae said:

mapotofuu said:
Death Note

One of the bigger reasons why I sorta dislike it too is just, conceptually, I don't like the idea of a nerd sitting in his room writing names to kill people. It's pretty lame. Light is a complete asshole throughout; I think many people enjoy seeing how twisted he is, but it makes me hate him more. The name "Kira" wasn't his idea, that was what he was dubbed by people, and he ran with it. He loved being "God".

Another thing that makes me mad is how silly it can be, and certain things it does to try to keep things interesting. There's more over the top moments then the infamous "take a potato chip and eat it" line. When you watch closely, the show will try to make the smallest things seem dramatic, making the whole show feel ridiculous.

Well those are all valid points that I agree with, but my real question is why people think it is good. I don't see what it is that makes this anime stand out as it does.
Dec 16, 2012 11:26 PM

Sep 2012
Code Geass
Clannad Afterstory
Dec 16, 2012 11:41 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Wha? I don't get it. Why dislike it if you know it's good? At least for me, watching good anime is what keeps me watching more anime. You know 'there more good shows and I want to watch them'. That would all become pointless if I started disliking those good shows.
Dec 16, 2012 11:43 PM

Apr 2010
Death Note.

I know it's really good, I mean, I've read the manga first, after all. However, the anime does not seem to click with me. I dropped it midway, and I fast forwarded the episodes that I watched.
Dec 16, 2012 11:44 PM

Jul 2012
BatoKusanagi said:
Wha? I don't get it. Why dislike it if you know it's good? At least for me, watching good anime is what keeps me watching more anime. You know 'there more good shows and I want to watch them'. That would all become pointless if I started disliking those good shows.

In my case I recognize One Piece as being pretty good, but I can't stand the style it's drawn in, or the general wackiness of the series. I still think it's good at what it does, but it does not fit my preferences.
Dec 17, 2012 12:00 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Amarae said:
BatoKusanagi said:

In my case I recognize One Piece as being pretty good, but I can't stand the style it's drawn in, or the general wackiness of the series. I still think it's good at what it does, but it does not fit my preferences.

Then why do you think it's good? You don't seem to like what makes One piece, One piece. And you even say that it doesn't fit your preferences.
I don't think that anime that doesn't fit my preferences is good, but that's just me.
Dec 17, 2012 12:01 AM

Sep 2012
BatoKusanagi said:
I think "good" in this context = critically acclaimed, or largely successful/popular.
Dec 17, 2012 12:06 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Red_Keys said:
BatoKusanagi said:
I think "good" in this context = critically acclaimed, or largely successful/popular.

I thought "good" as in "I would give it a good score". Not as self-explanatory as OP thinks.
Dec 17, 2012 12:09 AM

Jul 2012
BatoKusanagi said:

Then why do you think it's good? You don't seem to like what makes One piece, One piece. And you even say that it doesn't fit your preferences.
I don't think that anime that doesn't fit my preferences is good, but that's just me.

It has enjoyable, distinguished characters who are all very interesting and unique, who advance and develop as the story continues.

It has good (if odd) animation and design.

It tells a unique and interesting story without getting dull, despite it's significant length.

All the elements add up to a good anime, but it is just not my preference. I try in my life to recognize that whatever I may like or dislike, does not necessarily make it objectively good or bad. Particularly in the field of entertainment I take as much an objective view as I can towards such things. I observe what elements add up to a good story, character development, plot, music, how it is told, etc and deem whether something is good or bad based off of these elements rather than my own opinions.

Try to that is. It is rather hard in my opinion, if not impossible, to remove oneself entirely from preferential/perceptive bias, but through an understanding of good vs. bad elements by majority I can form a reasonable consensus.
AmaraeDec 17, 2012 12:14 AM
Dec 17, 2012 12:20 AM
Jun 2012
If I thought an anime was good, I wouldn't dislike it. Whether or not the masses wank over said anime is irrelevant (to me).
Dec 17, 2012 12:37 AM

Aug 2012
Chuunibyou and Fate/Zero
[url=myanimelist.net/profile/Stocky[/url]

My precious BB Code :(
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What's the Most Cringeworthy Anime Dub You've Ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - 9 hours ago

14 by WaffleMaster89 »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Do you read light novels?

EverRealm - 36 minutes ago

8 by BitChilly »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you marry your favorite character if your government allowed this?

Shizuna - 52 minutes ago

5 by Coaghim »»
5 minutes ago

» Do your irl friends watch anime?

coolyfruity - Yesterday

48 by WaffleMaster89 »»
6 minutes ago

» How much anime do you watch till its considered alot?

adosimp - 1 hour ago

7 by Coaghim »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.