Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 27, 2008 1:18 AM

Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good episode, they showcased Ranka's single perfectly, underdog is now on top and Sheryl is now on the sidelines. It's hilarious people thought 11 meant Sheryl was going to win the triangle when this episode is a far better indication that she will.

Also wow and wtf @ the Macross in the end.
Jun 27, 2008 1:46 AM

Nov 2007
I never even cared about the triangle. The romantic side of Macross has always been very secondary to my enjoyment of the stories. =p But as I've said countless times before, Ranka is too sisterly to be partner material. >.<

I didn't really like the single, though. I still think her version of What 'bout My Star is the best track she's done so far.
Jun 27, 2008 2:11 AM

Mar 2008
Ranka Lee is kawaiiiiiiiiiiii! So cute it almost made into one of those guys that blushes. Too bad Sheryl got sick. The YF-25 is amazing as usual. The new technology of the fold system made them get there in less than a few minutes from the looks of it...how else could they have gotten there in time!? I wonder the purpose of that new creature that Ranka found...? Oh and everyone RANKA LEE WILL BE THE NEXT LYNN MIN MAI! On a final note THE ORIGINAL MACROSS IS BACK!
Jun 27, 2008 4:12 AM

Mar 2008
wow i'm a bit in the blue on what is going on here...
the rebels are stopped but what is it with theat macross ship?
and was it all planned by Grace, or is there more to come?

MAL list updates
Jun 27, 2008 4:35 AM

Jun 2008
Nooooooo, I hate that coker-like Ranka ç_ç I want Sheryl...
However, the animation and fighting scenes are amazing, I want a duel Brera-Alto like that.
Jun 27, 2008 5:11 AM

Feb 2008
Pretty good episode. I simply loved Ranka's entrance, though I found it weird that all those rebels stopped attacking, just by listening to her.
Oh, and hurray for RankaXAlto development :D
Jun 27, 2008 11:01 AM

Sep 2007
Great episode... dammit Alto better choose Sheryl over Ranka who is annoying... oh oh I cannot seem to let go of your arm... oh oh I cannot move my legs. Some may find her cute... but she just irritates me. They made her too much of a loli like character. He needs to stick with Sheryl. On that note dude Alto NOT cool leaving Sheryl while she is sick. She did all that just to ride with you in the sky... idiot.

Anyway, only complaint is they over did the reactions of the Zentradi... nose bleeds... oh come on. And what the hell Macross? Random much? I thought It was on Earth... well its been a while since I have seen the original Macross but I seem to remember it being pretty much destroyed at the end of it.

I agree that What 'bout My Star is the best track Ranka has done.
Jun 27, 2008 1:14 PM

May 2008
Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka Ranka

did i mention i love Ranka and my favorite song is Ninji-n loves you yeah! its Kawaii
and Aimo is just so relaxing

go and sing all the stars from the sky baby
zendarDarkskyJun 27, 2008 1:20 PM
Jun 27, 2008 6:05 PM

Aug 2007
Good episode, but the lack or the shortness of the combat scenes is starting to delude me a bit, hopefully they will increase as the series goes on.
Also I hope they'll develop a bit the part where the proto-culture relics are shown on the planet while Ranka sings Aimo.
Overall I still prefer Sheryl, but I don't really care either who Alto chooses (while I do like Sheryl I don't like Alto much, so even if he goes with Ranka it's the same :P).

darkside099 said:
RANKA LEE WILL BE THE NEXT LYNN MIN MAI!

I fear that role has already been taken and with way better skills by Nekki Basara and Mylene Flare Jenius, she can hope to be the third (and I think she will, giving the protoculture's song Aimo to her pretty much sealed the deal)
Also.. she still need a long way before she's worthy of being in a Valkyrie with speakers on it. Power to the dream! Power to the universe! :P
Needs to fix this sometime but I'm lazy - since 11/05/2009
Jun 27, 2008 6:08 PM
May 2007
Wow, singing overload in that episode.

Rebels stopped in their tracks by Ranka's singing! Me thinks CD sales are getting in the way of this show's plot.
Jun 27, 2008 6:58 PM

Aug 2007
SirGir said:
Rebels stopped in their tracks by Ranka's singing! Me thinks CD sales are getting in the way of this show's plot.

That's an hystorical Zentradi's weakness :D
the "music beats bad guys" thing is a trademark of Macross, and the zentradi race get stopped on their tracks by songs like idiots everytime :D

But, I just noticed now... the ship at the end can't be the Macross, that one was stuck on earth forever and all at the end of the first Macross or am I wrong? But again the "memory of Global" on the preview seems to indicate it's the real one.. and is the Macross F capitain a relative of Global? (they look the same and they both have that quirk with the hat) ahhh! I want the next episode SOON! :(
Jun 27, 2008 8:17 PM

Jun 2008
Very interesting episode, what really made it for me was seeing macross at the very end of the episode, along with the following "Do You Remember Love" being sung on the sunset. I have to admit I haven't seen any of the other macross series' apart from the original, the first movie and the second movie. Itching to see how it progresses~
Jun 28, 2008 12:44 AM

Jul 2007
is it possible that is the sdf-2 megaroad-01?

..that would kick ass.
Jun 28, 2008 1:31 AM

Jan 2008
Another link to previous Macross series. Great episode, excellent mix of love traingle, music and fight scenes make this anime exceptional.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Jun 28, 2008 1:40 AM

Mar 2008
cool episode.

i hate that alto ended up with ranka though...cant stand her tbh.
Jun 28, 2008 8:42 AM

Oct 2007
calla said:
is it possible that is the sdf-2 megaroad-01?

..that would kick ass.

Rather impossible since the Megaroad class ships are 5 times longer than than Macross and can't transform.
Jun 28, 2008 8:58 AM

Aug 2007
Ye, I thought that too, but the one in the episode was a Macross class.. also if I'm right they call it "the original Macross" and the next episode title is "memory of global".. Maybe at some point in time they made the SDF-1 fly again, but afaik it was in the middle of the Earth Capital ... it sounds strange.
Jun 28, 2008 11:27 AM

Feb 2008
Yeah, fight was really good... but that Ranka >.<" i... won't to be rude so just "no comment"...
Poor Sheryl
Jun 28, 2008 11:41 AM

Jan 2008
Awesome episode! ranka's singing was so cute! i actually enjoyed the love triangle

sorry sheryl fans but this time, Ranka Wins! :]

5/5
Jun 28, 2008 12:18 PM

Oct 2007
Bard said:
Ye, I thought that too, but the one in the episode was a Macross class.. also if I'm right they call it "the original Macross" and the next episode title is "memory of global".. Maybe at some point in time they made the SDF-1 fly again, but afaik it was in the middle of the Earth Capital ... it sounds strange.

Macross Plus when we last saw the Macross took place in 2040 so there's a 19 year gap to be fillled... though you have to wonder what forced them to refurbish the SDF-1 and why they would take it out when they have lots more superior ships than.. every Macross colony fleet has a Battle 7 (or whatever the fleet is called) with them as well as other ships. Frontier has the Quarter as well as Battle Frontier (can't wait to see this in action later on) and it's surrounding fleet.

Morale Booster perhaps?
Jun 28, 2008 12:56 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
ok, the animation of this episode is really exploiting the full power of HD television....The detail of the planet's montains, structures and skies are comparable to the details in Shinkai Makoto's films.....

ranka just took the upperhand from Sheryl...

bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 28, 2008 1:23 PM

Mar 2008
okay, so they restored the triangle, upped the ante, concerts were held, prototype fold booster was used, missiles were fired, and promising preview was shown.

Happy is an understatement for me right now :D

more relevant edit:

So Bilrer has let slip he's a racist against Zentran? The uprising plot seemed too generic, but it does fit with the general secret project theme.

So when is the full-length VF-25 vs VF-27? How long are they going to tease us? ARGH.

and also, wait a sec, isn't Quaedluun the property of the Meltrandi rather than the Zentradi?
FotonJun 28, 2008 1:32 PM
Jun 28, 2008 1:39 PM

Apr 2008
i wish i can shoot sparkling stars from my hand...

and in the preview, Ranka looks damn cute...

Jun 28, 2008 2:23 PM

Oct 2007
LAH-Foton said:
okay, so they restored the triangle

It was never gone in the first place which is why I never got that some of you Ranka fans were giving up and that some Sheryl fans thought it was a done deal. As silly as it may sound at first this episode convinces me that a Sheryl ending will happen far more than 11 ever did... think about it.
Jun 28, 2008 2:39 PM

Apr 2008
ugh. why did they have to cover up ranka's face in the preview?

Jun 28, 2008 3:29 PM

Aug 2007
Jun 28, 2008 3:30 PM

Apr 2008
a race that would stop fighting in the middle of war...
i mean, seriously?

Jun 28, 2008 3:32 PM

Oct 2007
caboose_ftw said:
a race that would stop fighting in the middle of war...
i mean, seriously?

It happened before in Space War 1 and it will no doubt happen again. Though for the real battle ahead which is the Varja it looks like Ranka can't use the patented Minmei Attack on them since it enrages them and even brings them back to life....
Jun 28, 2008 3:34 PM

Apr 2008
i've only seen Macross Zero and is warching Macross F.

i guess i need to catch up.

Jun 28, 2008 4:10 PM

Oct 2007
Just watch DYRL instead of the series so it only takes 2 hours instead of 36 episodes to get the idea of the general Macross story. Also watch Plus it seems to be the only Macross left which they haven't payed much homage too so I expect it to get its turn eventually. It also has stellar Yoko Kanno music, some of the best action scenes in Macross and a more mature take on a love triangle since the characters are older and in the 24-25 range as opposed to 16-17.
Jun 28, 2008 4:12 PM

Jun 2008
Given the other Protoculture relics around, I might've thought the ship we saw at the end was another Supervision Army ship besides the one that crashed on Earth and was refurbished into the Macross. However, the Macross was heavily modified in that process, drastically changing its appearance. Also, the "arms" in either version were separate ships attached later, either the Prometheus and Daedalus, or the two ARMD carriers. So, it has to be the real Macross, so that theory is out.

Is it possible it somehow got folded there, maybe by accident? If there was some kind of mishap with the fold drive, that would explain how it got there, and how they might not have known where it went.
Jun 28, 2008 4:13 PM

Oct 2007
Going by this pic

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/image/Macross/Macross%20Frontier%20-%2012%20-%20Large%20Preview%2003.jpg

It seems like the Macross got refitted (notice the surrounding ships and its arms, this isn't a Space War 1 flashback) and used in battle (morale booster?) sometime between 2040 (the events of Macross Plus) and now which is 2059.

It's not a Megaroad and it's not another supervision army (will we ever get a series that deals with these guys sigh... the Zentradi will probably be fighting them forever) ship, has to be the Macross but how... maybe we find out next episode?
WestloJun 28, 2008 4:19 PM
Jun 28, 2008 10:45 PM

Mar 2008
can't rule out that shadowy government organization and the Vajra. As far as I can speculate, the Vajra should be some sort of a bioweapon.

To theorize further (although somewhat farfetched), if the Zentradi's weakness are songs and Vajra is enraged by it, then could it be originally an anti Zentradi weapon? But why? Something related to Bilrer's racism?
Jun 29, 2008 1:56 AM

Nov 2007
Story develops from Ranka's point of view which only reinforces the idea that she is the winner.

The main reason I dislike this is because if Marcross F has Ranka winning, it is simply following the original Macross's ending. We need to change it up and let the original idol win.

The up-and-coming idol can be the one who saves everyone after she was rejected by the main lead.
Jun 29, 2008 3:01 AM

Feb 2008
Honestly, I like Ranka more but I really won't be surprised if Alto ends up with Sheryl. I can see Sheryl losing her popularity, fame, etc, and she could move away from that hectic life and become like a more average person, while Ranka takes her place and becomes the next big idol. She could be too busy for Alto and whatnot. Just a guess, I really have no idea how the love triangle will end up here.

Still gotta say ... Nana > Both. :D

But yeah, those who have not seen other Macross series are sadly missing out a little bit here. I was watching F first, but a few episodes in I decided to go through some of the rest of the series and watched DYRL, Plus, and Zero. DYRL and Plus I highly recommend. Just like Westlo stated, Plus is a little more mature with it's older characters and has some insane action, along with an incredible OST (seriously one of the best I've ever heard) not to mention the voice tracks like "Voices" (haha), are downright amazing. DYRL is also incredible and when you watch it, you'll have no idea how it came out of 1983. It's aged incredibly well unlike other movies, the animation, music, and everything is still really impressive.

Anyways, after I watced all of those, I've come to like F even more. It's probably my favorite series this season now, but I can agree with others in that I'd like to see the action pickup again here soon.

If this doesn't convince you to watch Macross Plus and maybe other seasons of the series, I don't know what will:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tud4JUiPDRk

Definitely one of the best vocal tracks I've ever heard in an anime.
Jun 29, 2008 3:38 AM

Mar 2008
EchelonV said:
Still gotta say ... Nana > Both. :D

needs moar loli Kuran Kuran. lolis ftw :3
Jun 29, 2008 7:29 AM

Oct 2007
zqube said:
If this doesn't convince you to watch Macross Plus and maybe other seasons of the series, I don't know what will:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tud4JUiPDRk

Definitely one of the best vocal tracks I've ever heard in an anime.

Probably because I really like Voices I don't have such a high opinion of Aimo, Aimo is like Voices lite. Also as far as AMV's go for Macross Plus you can't go wrong with this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMczRJh_OeI&feature=related
Jun 29, 2008 9:10 AM
Dec 2007
Ranka 1 - 0 Sheryl, clear win this time !

It weems like Kawamori will try to tie all the series of the saga together after the numerous Zero and first Macross references along the first part of the story. And good thing we finally see the Zentrady again (and their awesome weakness to music ;)). I expect a fantastic 13th episode to end the first half of the series too !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 29, 2008 4:56 PM

May 2008
I was looking forward for a longer fight scene, but it was let down in that one aspect. hopefully more fights will occur soon, now especially with the twist of the original macross thrown in there and now waiting even more eagerly for further plot developments on that matter and several others.

Nice to see more development on the love triangle can't wait to see who'll win...
Jun 29, 2008 5:05 PM

Dec 2007
i wonder what Ranka's role wud be now.
Jun 29, 2008 9:11 PM

Mar 2008
Westlo said:
Just watch DYRL instead of the series so it only takes 2 hours instead of 36 episodes to get the idea of the general Macross story. Also watch Plus it seems to be the only Macross left which they haven't payed much homage too so I expect it to get its turn eventually. It also has stellar Yoko Kanno music, some of the best action scenes in Macross and a more mature take on a love triangle since the characters are older and in the 24-25 range as opposed to 16-17.

And remember that they aren't related at all.

DYRL are in a different universe than the original Macross, most of the characters are the same, but the background, animation and story differs from the original Macross.

Macross F follows the DYRL story and not the original Macross. And that´s where the first generation Macross is a puzzle, since in the 6 OVA´s called Macross II that started 80 years after DYRL the Macross got completely destroyed in the last attack by the Meltran command ship.

But, on the other hand, Macross F have borrowed a lot of the story from almost all the other Macross series, even when they clearly show that it follows the DYRL time.....

On another note.

I really loved this episode, mostly because Sheryl finally was put in the shadow by Ranka, both in singing and getting Alto´s attention. Hopefully Ranka will keep on doing that for the resot of the serie, and she have a really good opportunity in the next episode where it seems to only be her and Alto all alone :D

Jun 30, 2008 12:38 AM

Oct 2007
DYRL was originally meant to be a alternate universe take on the original Macross but later on it got turned into a in universe movie of the events of Space War 1 that obviously focused on the love triangle. All mecha designs from DYRL though are now canon (since they look better!) as are some character designs. (pointy ears for Zentradi)

Macross II isn't by Kawamori and doesn't exist in the time line.

Anyien said:
I really loved this episode, mostly because Sheryl finally was put in the shadow by Ranka, both in singing and getting Alto´s attention. Hopefully Ranka will keep on doing that for the resot of the serie, and she have a really good opportunity in the next episode where it seems to only be her and Alto all alone :D

Anyone who's a huge Ranka and Alto fan should be worried that Ranka and Alto time is starting now because there's so much time left for a reversal. Frankly I'm happy that Sheryl's in the underdog position since it drastically increases her chances of winning. If 12/13 took place in episodes 18/19 and the relationship between Sheryl and Alto had stayed as it was it would've been over.
WestloJun 30, 2008 12:42 AM
Jun 30, 2008 7:42 AM

Jun 2008
I really liked this ep. The uprising was flimsy and that they would allow some young pilot and a singer go and handle a rescue mission of their own accord is pretty questionable but maybe I'm hoping for too much logic. In any case, I wept, JUST A LITTLE, when I saw that Ranka was flying in on a VF equipped with frickin' WOOFERS. Geebus. And I haven't seen "Do You Remember Love" yet but from what I gather from the comments, the ending song (after "Aimo") is from that show? I had hoped Kanno had written it, the lyrics were so nice...
Jun 30, 2008 8:43 AM

Mar 2008
Westlo said:
Anyone who's a huge Ranka and Alto fan should be worried that Ranka and Alto time is starting now because there's so much time left for a reversal. Frankly I'm happy that Sheryl's in the underdog position since it drastically increases her chances of winning. If 12/13 took place in episodes 18/19 and the relationship between Sheryl and Alto had stayed as it was it would've been over.

Sheryl is the underdog? When did that happen?

I mean, we haven´t seen anything but Sheryl most of the episodes up to now. So i would say Ranka is/was the underdog. But it really don´t seem like Alto is really interested in Sheryl at all. They look more like good friends if you look at the whole picture.

Don´t think i have seen Alto blush like that just by looking at Sheryl, and he haven´t turned around when he got eye contact with Sheryl either. This is actually the first time Alto have behaved like that over a girl at all.

So to me it seems that Ranka have the biggest chance now, especially since she will be alone with Alto in the next episode.

Kaizokuou said:
I really liked this ep. The uprising was flimsy and that they would allow some young pilot and a singer go and handle a rescue mission of their own accord is pretty questionable but maybe I'm hoping for too much logic.

Who said that they allowed them to go? They could just have taken the booster and go for themself without telling anyone.

Kaizokuou said:
And I haven't seen "Do You Remember Love" yet but from what I gather from the comments, the ending song (after "Aimo") is from that show? I had hoped Kanno had written it, the lyrics were so nice...

Nope, that song is from Macross II and is called "Only your friend". The ending song in "Do you remember love" is actually "Do you remember love".

Jun 30, 2008 2:27 PM

Oct 2007
Alto's blushed heaps with Sheryl... have a quick rewatch of episode 5... and that ending song is Do you remember love... Macross II doesn't exist as far as Kawamori is concerned.

So to me it seems that Ranka have the biggest chance now, especially since she will be alone with Alto in the next episode

That's why Sheryl is now in the underdog role....
Jul 1, 2008 9:06 AM

Jul 2007
definetly have to agree about the plus ost.. some amazing stuff in there.

and not so much here it seems to me, which is kinda disappointing.
Jul 2, 2008 5:12 PM

Mar 2008
Westlo said:
and that ending song is Do you remember love...

Yeah, you´re right. It seemed that my version was corrupted at the end so i din´t get much more than the start of the song and mistook it as "Only your friend". After looking at a uncorrupted version it is very clear that this is "Do you remember love".

Westlo said:
That's why Sheryl is now in the underdog role....

I wouldn't actually say she is a underdog just because she won´t cling to him in 1 episode. In almost all episodes after she first appeared she have clinged to him like a parasite.

Hopefully he will see Ranka more from now on.

But as i have said before, even without the glorious defeat Sheryl had in this episode it was really great because of the new song :)

Jul 3, 2008 1:22 AM

Oct 2007
Yes I hope that Ranka and Alto dominate for the next 5-7 episodes because that's clearly setting up a turn. Think back to nearly every love triangle you've seen in the last few years, is the eventually winner in a bad position around the 50-75% part of the show? Most cases the answer is yes. KGNE/Rumbling Hearts, Ef, Kimikiss, True Tears all follow that pattern and from episode 12 and what I know up to 15 and the episode titles for 16 & 17 chances are so does Macross Frontier.

I found 12 to be more convincing for a Sheryl ending than 11 ever was... When it comes to seeing how this love triangle is going you're playing checkers, while I'm playing chess.
WestloJul 3, 2008 1:26 AM
Jul 3, 2008 10:00 AM

Mar 2008
Really don´t see a better chance for a Sheryl end just because she was let in the background for the first episode since the series started....

i see it as a bigger chance for a Ranka ending because of this. But everything is up to Alto, and it´s easy to see that he haven´t really thought about any of them in that way for now. The only reason he decided to go with Sheryl was because he could fly in the real sky.

If that would have been another colony ship i really doubt that he would even consider it.

Jul 4, 2008 10:21 AM

Jun 2008
Sugooooooooooooi Ranka! She gave me the goosebumps!
Lol at the stupid Zentradi.. and everything else except the sky!!!
netoelgrandeJul 4, 2008 10:34 AM
Kirameite, yurameite, aoki yumi, maihanatsu, hana mo-e yu-kuuu!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kurotsuki - Sep 25, 2008

265 by Reijoy8 »»
Jun 12, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - Apr 24, 2008

61 by ManuelFragment »»
May 6, 9:30 PM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - Aug 1, 2008

60 by Dzentelmen2 »»
Oct 12, 2023 7:22 AM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

darkside099 - Jul 4, 2008

72 by sserpens »»
Mar 27, 2023 6:08 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 11, 2008

98 by catfay »»
Feb 21, 2023 3:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.