Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 10:27 AM

Nov 2011
Yuri's decision to go back to her family is an interesting choice for sure.

I also like the themes of the past and present influencing the main story now that it came to this. Family bonds also seems to remain a stable theme in this show too. Just very interesting to see humans and non-humans bond together in this timeline.
May 11, 12:40 PM
Jan 2022
Friendship and family, two things that we want to protect and that were developed perfectly in the characters' relationships. Great episode as always.
May 11, 12:43 PM
Sep 2015
While the multiverse plot is over since the previous episode, Yuri's plot is not over yet.

A very little moment like the cat's driver license is what make me love this anime. But it can be very scary just as it can be very sweet.

The tanuki plot seems to be very scary, but I know there's gotta be more of it in a way I don't expect.
May 11, 2:42 PM

Mar 2021
The focus on Yuri has been excellent am glad she was able to see her Mother and brother again.
May 11, 4:37 PM
Aug 2020
another great episode

it was nice to learn more about her...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
May 11, 5:08 PM

Feb 2019
that post-credits scene seems pretty ominous.
May 11, 5:09 PM

Sep 2020
Crazy, even horror is covered here.
May 11, 5:57 PM
May 2017
Excellent episode! This series spoils me rotten! Mutsumi's love for Jirou is endless...
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
May 11, 7:35 PM

Feb 2021
Lol, in the end they met the legendary Tanuki story XD
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 11, 7:51 PM
Feb 2020
Aww what a nice episode where nothing goes wron-
And ofc they left us with a hook by the end as always
May 11, 9:59 PM

Dec 2021
I'm glad Yuri patched things up with Bucchio and managed to move on from her family trauma. Her father might be stubborn, but at least he's stopped actively harming his children.

That post-credits scene tho, lol. So, people are still scared of ghosts even though they know about the existence of youkai?

May 12, 2:11 AM

Jun 2019
The main body of the episode ended very early at the time when the ending credits began to roll, so I was curious what the post-ED scene would be and it didn't disappoint. Now even a little inclusion of Gakkou no Kaidan and Another vibes in the mix, with schoolhouse haunting legends and mysterious extra phantom students which on paper shouldn't exist. It's a nice juxtaposition how they still manage to evoke a mild sense of horror and eeriness there even against the backdrop of a situation where the kids investigating and being scared include youkai like a cyclops and kappa and that's completely normalized and matter-of-fact. In another world, something like the cyclops kid is what the others would be scared of in the first place. Here, he's just another kid and member of the gang.

While that and the whole rest of the episode was good, what I really liked and appreciated most was how they handled Yuri's interaction or somewhat tense and quiet "confrontation" with her estranged father in the section covering her story. Let me explain specifically what stood out and I'm glad about: That it didn't rely on cheap cliche writing and melodramatic tricks. In a lesser series, it's very easy to envision an alternative scenario in which their argument in the past was just borne of a simple misunderstanding. He did take what looked like a stern and cold approach toward her questioning the pure bloodlines tradition and dogma, but actually she missed out on a crucial piece of information when she left the room and was just out of earshot, indicating it was all just an innocent misunderstanding. Or he did mean whatever he said back then and the attitude he showed, but he since reformed, saw the light and error of his ways, and now they can now either quickly embrace or even slowly renew their optimal and ideal father-daughter relationship together.

No. None of that fuckery happened. He has only since changed in the most subtle, realistic, and human ways (even though he's a bakegitsune, but you know what I mean). Nothing was misunderstood or just the result of poor and faulty communication. He hasn't changed his original position and ideology one bit and openly says "I don't believe in the slightest that I was wrong". Yuri then doesn't take that then to mean that maybe she was wrong as a kid/teen or should re-evaluate her view on the subject now as an adult. But she also doesn't flip out, melt down, or vow never to speak to him again. Rather, they basically agree to disagree. He reaffirms his opinions because he still thinks it was and is right, but also adds that he's not going to get in the way of his kids (presumably including her) from going off living their own way and doing what they think is right. Now that both him and the kids - everyone, is older. She receives no apology, no neat and full closure in that sense for feeling shut out and alienated by a rigid domineering father, but standing before him now, she still can't deny he is her father and she has no intention of changing her mind or lifestyle now either, partly because she's his daughter. He's stubborn like her and she's stubborn like him. Those views of his that she hates so much and she feels helped ruin her childhood and make her family home feel uncomfortable and stifling to her, if she's being honest, she can't deny are reinforced by the stubborn side of him which forms a core part of her own personality and identity. Possibly because of the genetic influence.

I really like the messy and accurate way this series writes and incorporates interpersonal drama in areas like that. Really serves as a shining example of what at least a subset of Slice of Life should strive to do. They can't, shouldn't, and aren't intended to all be like that (some SoLs, for example, are going to be nearly pure comedy or pure whimsical iyashikei and paper over these uglier elements for the purposes of better facilitating jokes or eliminating wrinkles of conflict), but we definitely need more of this type as I find them high up among the most interesting things out there.

Also, another nice subtle touch was in the scene from this portion of the episode where she meets up with her mother and brother at a restaurant and the mother shows her a picture on the smartphone of her daughter, Yuri's sister, in a relationship with what I assume is some form of a wolf youkai and with a baby now, which will technically be a "half-breed" the father shown in Yuri's flashbacks might have disowned and may still not be happy or pleased about for them being an interracial or interspecies couple, but even though they still aren't all on the same page it's regardless treated as a nice moment of something at least the three of them can come together on after being separated. Yuri's mother seems like the traditional pretty demure and submissive wife that I don't think is the type to confront the father over areas of disagreement and may have never once done so, but it's sweet that she still tries to have a relationship with Yuri from the side outside of all that in her own quiet way. All with a goat-man youkai and fairy hanging out in the next booth over, lol.

And the mention of the new baby being born into her family is a nice cyclical (in a cycle or circle of life way) tie-in with the later scene ending the episode proper (the scene before the ED), with the older gentleman out fishing with his friends discussing the tribulations of dealing with his older yet still and sick mother and moving her out of the nursing or retirement home to be at home among family in her twilight period.

This series also reminds me of Centaur no Nayami (an underrated favorite I'll defend until my deathbed), but with more mystery and drama substituting in for the political and philosophical discussions and repository of infinite random trivia. But in the grounded way that a world in which "monsters" are shown living normal daily life side to side with regular humans in the most mundane and true-to-life, less theatrical and embellished way moreso than most non-fantasy, non-supernatural actual live action dramas.
WatchTillTandavaMay 12, 2:42 AM
May 12, 3:51 AM

Jul 2017
The discourse between Buchio and Yuri, after the latter's hectic and momentary body swap, I'm glad that they made up with the help of the Space-Time Laboratory. But for a guest who's been searching for her for a year, her younger brother Tsubaki deduced his way to find and inform her of their mother's sickness. It helps that the body/soul swap cleared her feelings of her family, and together with Tsubaki, makes the fateful trip to see her family and siblings who've all gone out from the family, married or so. It may not be the heartwarming reunion, but a reconciliation, this is one.

Back at Fushigamori, everyone is back together with Yuri's return, and congrats Buchio for earning your driver's license. Mutsumi being angry about the Great Cedar Tree's new barrier with the improvised knot from the last time that they almost invoked trouble, sure, humans and demi-humans live together, but each of their time is different as much as Mutsumi still wants to protect Jiro.

Another case of a cursed bakedanuki within the school's Science Prep Room, it's may just be a tanuki, but through Yusuke, kotodamas might turn it alive due to rumours, and one is being set alive...
May 12, 4:31 AM
Jul 2021
I wasn't sure about this show when I first started watching it but these past couple of episodes have been very enjoyable.
May 12, 7:51 AM

Jan 2010
yuripee becoming the best character and we still need to see her reunion with maya-chan. Looking foward to it.

May 12, 10:56 AM
Oct 2010
I love how this show flips genres at the drop of a hat; this episode alone we had drama, comedy, YA mystery, and horror. Good stuff.

Also quite nice that it takes a more measured approach to human relationships and life in general. Things don't always end cleanly, things can't always be fixed, sometimes life is just a messy, confusing, unsettling maze that each of us has to navigate on our own or, if we reach out a hand, at the side of others to prop us up and who we can support in turn when their own lives turn upside down. For all the youkai in the story, it's a very human tale.
May 12, 11:15 AM
Mar 2015
A lot of talk about the time we have left and where we want to live it
May 13, 3:19 PM

Feb 2010
I liked how there were still hard feelings when the fox went home and it didn't solve everything but it could lead to something positive with part of the family instead of trying to fix all the familial relationships
May 17, 3:55 PM
Jan 2024
do we still not know how many episodes it’s gonna be
May 19, 11:55 PM
Mar 2012
Tsubaki nice & diligent searching a whole year.
didnt get parts of last ep, nice explanation now of how Yuri thinks, family troubles.
Like the 2 homes concept.
congrats Buchio
Anatomy boy & tanuki weird stuff.
Jun 30, 12:57 PM
Mar 2019
Yuri goes Home for closure.
Jul 4, 7:22 AM
Nov 2019
I feel like modifying wagen kun
He’s a first generation Volkswagen Golf MK1

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 29

54 by Serafos »»
Jul 25, 10:43 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 22

22 by bushman66 »»
Jun 30, 1:05 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 15

25 by bushman66 »»
Jun 30, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 8

21 by bushman66 »»
Jun 30, 1:03 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 1

24 by bushman66 »»
Jun 30, 1:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.