Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 6, 10:22 AM
Apr 2012
Sorry for my english I am French. I'm surprised not to find people reacting to the fact that the backgrounds of episodes 1, 3 and 4 are generated by AI. Are you satisfied with the result?

Episode 4 examples :

VoyageurMay 8, 3:26 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 6, 10:28 AM

Jan 2017
Voyageur said:
reacting to the fact

I saw no such official announcement... can you share the source please ?
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 6, 10:29 AM

Apr 2021
None of these even remotely look like AI.

And you have all of Shinji Kimura's other works to see that dense, industrial type of settings are his area of expertise.
May 6, 10:31 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
aw hell na we are not going to start to discredit shinji kimura's work with AI allegations
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 6, 10:31 AM
Nov 2022
For those confused, this thread started on Reddit yesterday and mods removed it within an hour. This is an unsubstantiated rumor at the moment with no confirmation at the moment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/1cktc5y/kaiju_no_8_anime_is_allegedly_using_ai_backgrounds/

Regardless of the rumor, this looks nothing like AI, so don’t where these rumors came from.
May 6, 10:32 AM
Jun 2022
Oongbuh said:
None of these even remotely look like AI.

And you have all of Shinji Kimura's other works to see that dense, industrial type of settings are his area of expertise.

Yeah I find it hard to believe, nothing here sticks out as AI. Though I guess that’s becoming more of a moot point if it’s getting harder to distinguish.
May 6, 10:33 AM
Jun 2021
can you kindly stfu
May 6, 10:39 AM
Apr 2024
Hanzu__ said:
can you kindly stfu

I agree, in the manga everything is handdrawn and I believe the creator of this anime to also get this handanimated
May 6, 10:39 AM
Apr 2024
@Vojageur never cook again bro
May 6, 10:58 AM
Nov 2020
help me 😭😭 it doesnt even look like AI
May 6, 11:04 AM

Jan 2023
I don’t think you have a single clue on what you’re even talking about.
May 6, 11:05 AM
Aug 2023
You need to get your eyes checked if you think so
May 6, 11:24 AM
Apr 2012
I am not here to insult or receive insults but just to debate. I have been on this site for many years and this is my first post and I am not trying to be a troll. I really like the anime and its characters so I'm not debating the story just the possibility of AI use.

I don't have a source but from the first episode certain backgrounds seemed very strange to me. The perspective makes no sense, too many unnecessary blurred details, and in general everything is quite blurry in the line. Buildings sometimes even merge. This is characteristic of AI. Even abstract concept art is much more structured than that. I didn't know that Shinji Kimura was the art director and so I went to see his work. His illustrations are the opposite of what I see in the anime: it's clean, sharp, the perspective is very well worked, and even the many details make sense.

In Kaiju No. 8 the more we look at the background, the more the uneasiness intensifies. And finally we end up noticing absurd corners. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one who sees too many flaws? I was afraid to post at first so I asked friends who study art and they agreed with my observations, otherwise I wouldn't have opened the debate here.
May 6, 11:29 AM
Dec 2021
DatRandomDude said:
aw hell na we are not going to start to discredit shinji kimura's work with AI allegations

It’s getting grim out here

May 6, 11:54 AM

Sep 2021
It's not AI. Believe me, I know what's is like when AI is involved.
May 6, 12:08 PM
Dec 2007
Now I'm interested. I'm not sure they're using AI backgrounds, but that's not the point in my opinion. Let's consider they are. Would that make the anime less interesting or enjoyable if they were? I was around at the beginning of CGI and people were saying the same stuff "(I'm never gonna watch a CGI anime, I swear, it's destroying creativity and animators' jobs!"), and now every anime uses CGI and people still watch it, even though, frankly, CGI doesn't come close in terms of quality to hand drawn animation. But I get it, it's cheaper for studios, anime fans are relatively young and don't care too much about quality most of the time, is used to it by now, so nobody complains anymore. Would that make that much of a difference if you knew that Kaijuu's backgrounds were made through AI? Palworld used AI and infringed on Nintendo's IP in the process and millions of people still played it, right? Will every anime use AI in a few years (my guess is yes, by the way)?

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 6, 12:17 PM

Sep 2016
Didn't notice at all, shit's pretty good already.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 6, 12:20 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to Jacut
Now I'm interested. I'm not sure they're using AI backgrounds, but that's not the point in my opinion. Let's consider they are. Would that make the anime less interesting or enjoyable if they were? I was around at the beginning of CGI and people were saying the same stuff "(I'm never gonna watch a CGI anime, I swear, it's destroying creativity and animators' jobs!"), and now every anime uses CGI and people still watch it, even though, frankly, CGI doesn't come close in terms of quality to hand drawn animation. But I get it, it's cheaper for studios, anime fans are relatively young and don't care too much about quality most of the time, is used to it by now, so nobody complains anymore. Would that make that much of a difference if you knew that Kaijuu's backgrounds were made through AI? Palworld used AI and infringed on Nintendo's IP in the process and millions of people still played it, right? Will every anime use AI in a few years (my guess is yes, by the way)?
@Jacut Thank you for this very interesting analysis. I have a lot to answer so please allow me to take the time to respond tomorrow or Friday (we have major public holidays in France in between) ^^

And @Oongbuh very good source https://x.com/FARfromani/status/1787543061129548197 I saw the twitter of the person who started the debate and this specific response after creating this topic. It's a good addition to the subject.

Again sorry if my english is weird.
May 6, 12:23 PM
Sep 2020
As someone who draw, I don't thinks it's AI generated.
Things that need to be symetrical are symetrical, windows are where they make sens, you can see the handdrawing irregularity and accuracy.
There are odds design here and there but it's scifi technology and, again, you can see it's made by hand.
May 6, 12:27 PM
Sep 2022
Voyageur said:
Sorry for my english I am French. I'm surprised not to find people reacting to the fact that the backgrounds of episodes 1, 3 and 4 are generated by AI. Are you satisfied with the result?

Episode 4 examples :

please be so kind and go hump a cactus 😌
May 6, 12:39 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to Mr_Sai
Voyageur said:

Episode 4 examples :

please be so kind and go hump a cactus 😌
@Mr_Sai For what ? When was I insulting to you? I'm not debating the quality of the story, I'm having a great time watching this anime. The character animation is excellent and the hero is very fun. I'm just talking about a technical point that will condition the animation industry in the future, and whether it's progress or not. If this question doesn't interest you, don't insult me ^^

I thought no one was talking about it but in the end after recent research tonight many of us think it's AI. And here a lot of people doesn't think it's AI. So it's intesresting I Think.
May 6, 12:55 PM
Mar 2023
No one takes kid with new accounts word seriously 🤣🤣🤣
May 6, 1:00 PM

Jan 2009
even if true i do not care since ai is just a new tool to make more animation fast
May 6, 1:01 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to Shinpei106
No one takes kid with new accounts word seriously 🤣🤣🤣
@Shinpei106 I created this account in 2012 and I am 37 years old T_T

Be respectful and say that no one takes an old man seriously at least.
May 6, 1:06 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to deg
even if true i do not care since ai is just a new tool to make more animation fast
@deg Maybe later the tech will be very good. It's sure in fact. But for now you have amazing tree behind the weird big car and in front of the bulding in the same time. And it's just a focus, this is happening everywhere in the background. It's why I paused during my episodes because I was feeling so wrong details.

May 6, 1:22 PM

May 2021
Reply to Voyageur
@Mr_Sai For what ? When was I insulting to you? I'm not debating the quality of the story, I'm having a great time watching this anime. The character animation is excellent and the hero is very fun. I'm just talking about a technical point that will condition the animation industry in the future, and whether it's progress or not. If this question doesn't interest you, don't insult me ^^

I thought no one was talking about it but in the end after recent research tonight many of us think it's AI. And here a lot of people doesn't think it's AI. So it's intesresting I Think.
@Voyageur I'd suggest doing your research and comparing a lot of hand draw traditional and digital art to AI generated images before starting a topic like this...
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
May 6, 1:28 PM

Jan 2009
@Oongbuh damn the main thread is convincing its generative ai in some parts https://twitter.com/TheArtGun/status/1786949121276072405

but ye im fine with it as long as it still looks good since to me ai is just another tool
May 6, 1:43 PM
Sep 2020
deg said:
@Oongbuh damn the main thread is convincing its generative ai in some parts https://twitter.com/TheArtGun/status/1786949121276072405

but ye im fine with it as long as it still looks good since to me ai is just another tool

Nah, I can see it's not.
It's backgroud details that you don't really focus on so it's probably quickly and carelessly drawn.
May 6, 2:35 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to DigiCat
@Voyageur I'd suggest doing your research and comparing a lot of hand draw traditional and digital art to AI generated images before starting a topic like this...
@DigiCat I'm not particularly targeting you but you're the last one to ask me to open my eyes / do resarch, sorry. I did not want to argue from authority and experience but only base myself on calm and polite debate. But ok. I am an amateur artist who has been drawing for 20 years and making digital art for 8 years. I don't claim to be a pro but I know how to draw. Former art historian and archaeologist specializing in Roman and medieval architecture. Passionate about modern painting from the Renaissance to today and in particular all that is urban painting. So studying the backgrounds in anime has been my passion for so long. Are there filters? Digital art? Traditional? 3D? That's why I immediately saw that there was a problem here and wanted to discuss it. Since everyone tells me that I don't know how to see, without talking about their experiences, you will all have to explain to me what knowledge you have that is beyond me. Because almost no one discussed the substance and the problems that I pointed out. And that's what interests me, the arguments, not asking me to adjust my glasses.

And a little exercise that I like to do. Go to Deviant Art and find the AI-generated images before clicking on them and confirming it. 9/10 I'm right.

But if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I don't have a crusade to win. I'm just waiting to be proven wrong with interest if that's the case.
May 6, 2:36 PM
Jan 2022
if ai is good enough that you cannot tell the difference than who cares?

if you can, then they are cost cutting and can be a rip off/turn off
May 6, 2:57 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to TheMageDalamar
if ai is good enough that you cannot tell the difference than who cares?

if you can, then they are cost cutting and can be a rip off/turn off
@TheMageDalamar It's a very good question. And I don"t refuse the use of IA. I didn"t answer as I want to a lot of reaction. I will write a very long answer before the end of week.
May 6, 2:58 PM

Apr 2020
1. How do you know?

2. Why is that a problem to anyone?
May 6, 3:00 PM

Feb 2020
Seems about as credible as the Palworld AI allegations.

the End of the dragon sphere
Speak not the Watchers‚ Draw not the Watchers‚ Speak of me. Paint my likeness.
Write not the Watchers‚ Sculpt not the Watchers‚ Write about me. Carve me into stone.
Sing not the Watchers‚ Call not the Watchers' name. Sing of me. Call for me.
Please. Please realize...that I am here.
Hello, friend.
May 6, 3:17 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to Merve2Love
1. How do you know?

2. Why is that a problem to anyone?
@Merve2Love It's obvious for me and for other people. Again I didn't start this alone before asking people do you think is human drawing or AI? But for some other people here not. So ok I will capture more images and explain the issues. So it's AI or the backgrounds artists are terribles : /

I will explain more tomorrow if people want to read a huge euh, don't konw in english, paving stone when in french we write a lot. But basically the long-term problem is the impoverishment of artistic direction. If we train fewer people in drawing because there are fewer positions available then the AI ​​will only be trained on past content. There will be no more progress. Or it will only revolve around a few artistic directors. But again less variety.
May 6, 3:18 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to Voyageur
@Merve2Love It's obvious for me and for other people. Again I didn't start this alone before asking people do you think is human drawing or AI? But for some other people here not. So ok I will capture more images and explain the issues. So it's AI or the backgrounds artists are terribles : /

I will explain more tomorrow if people want to read a huge euh, don't konw in english, paving stone when in french we write a lot. But basically the long-term problem is the impoverishment of artistic direction. If we train fewer people in drawing because there are fewer positions available then the AI ​​will only be trained on past content. There will be no more progress. Or it will only revolve around a few artistic directors. But again less variety.
@Voyageur

What? How does this answer any of my questions?^^

It's no biggie, imo.
And we don't know if this is actually AI stuff or not.
May 6, 3:23 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to Merve2Love
@Voyageur

What? How does this answer any of my questions?^^

It's no biggie, imo.
And we don't know if this is actually AI stuff or not.
@Merve2Love I need to capture images from the anime and draw on it to explain the issues. It's why I need time. After this we will talk if is mistakes from artists or AI. Or both? Maybe it's more that. They draw, and complete with AI, or Ai base, and draw on it? But whatever the conclusion, we have a problem. And again it's not about the story / fun of the show and it's a very technical topic because is just background we see for 1 or 2 second. But for me is important I like this part of anime / creation.
May 6, 3:30 PM
Apr 2012
Did I make an enemy of all myanimelist for my first topic? T_T I am a peaceful person. I just like... anime... a lot...
May 6, 3:50 PM

May 2021
Reply to Voyageur
@DigiCat I'm not particularly targeting you but you're the last one to ask me to open my eyes / do resarch, sorry. I did not want to argue from authority and experience but only base myself on calm and polite debate. But ok. I am an amateur artist who has been drawing for 20 years and making digital art for 8 years. I don't claim to be a pro but I know how to draw. Former art historian and archaeologist specializing in Roman and medieval architecture. Passionate about modern painting from the Renaissance to today and in particular all that is urban painting. So studying the backgrounds in anime has been my passion for so long. Are there filters? Digital art? Traditional? 3D? That's why I immediately saw that there was a problem here and wanted to discuss it. Since everyone tells me that I don't know how to see, without talking about their experiences, you will all have to explain to me what knowledge you have that is beyond me. Because almost no one discussed the substance and the problems that I pointed out. And that's what interests me, the arguments, not asking me to adjust my glasses.

And a little exercise that I like to do. Go to Deviant Art and find the AI-generated images before clicking on them and confirming it. 9/10 I'm right.

But if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I don't have a crusade to win. I'm just waiting to be proven wrong with interest if that's the case.
Voyageur said:
I did not want to argue from authority and experience but only base myself on calm and polite debate.

Why not caml and polite and informed experience on the topic? Is it not possible for those to coexist?

Voyageur said:
Since everyone tells me that I don't know how to see, without talking about their experiences, you will all have to explain to me what knowledge you have that is beyond me. Because almost no one discussed the substance and the problems that I pointed out. And that's what interests me, the arguments, not asking me to adjust my glasses.

You mentioned perspective, blured backgrounds and possible merging, although the perspective isn't perfect and backgrounds get more blured and less detaild the further they are in the distance, what i see when i zoom into those more blured ares is actually layering (maybe i got the term wrong but i don't know how else to describe how the various patterns and colors are layerd onto eachother to give the illusion of there being buildings in the distence), not merging which is typical of AI, the former, unlike merging, has distinguishable shapes even when blured (of course they don't look like what they're suppost to when looking close up, one shape might be contributing to make 2 or 3 buildings)

As for blurring and perspective, i wouldn't say either of them are definite proof of it being AI, bluring can be used as an effect to give contrast between the backgrounds and the characters, while the perspective not being perfect falls easily in the margin of human error, i mean by that logic, would you say Attack On Titan manga is AI because the perspective is off a lot of the time? Of course AI has it's own problems with perspective, but they tend to have different characteristics from human error, a lot of AI's problems with perspective have to do with warping, to give a simple example, if a human draws a circle it might come out slightly oval, while if an AI drew a circle it'd look like... imagine trying to pour slime onto a table and make it as circular as possible, you'll notice the edges start to warp, ooze, it'll tend to have slight dents in it that don't really make sense

The door background is actually the one i'm least sure about, but that could be a case of the scene not being complete, it's not uncommon for small details to be adjusted later on with DVD and BluRay releases
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
May 6, 3:58 PM
Oct 2016
I feel like this anime is way too well funded for them to resort to using AI
May 6, 3:59 PM

May 2021
Reply to Voyageur
Did I make an enemy of all myanimelist for my first topic? T_T I am a peaceful person. I just like... anime... a lot...
@Voyageur If you're reffering to merve... congrats! You're officially her new babysitter 😂
May 6, 4:00 PM

Aug 2018
It's all over. AI will take over and turn our waifus into soulless and sad characters.
May 6, 4:01 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to DigiCat
@Voyageur If you're reffering to merve... congrats! You're officially her new babysitter 😂
@DigiCat What who how?!!!
May 6, 4:14 PM

May 2021
Reply to Voyageur
@DigiCat What who how?!!!
@Voyageur It's actually a common occourence that jumps from user to user ヘ( ̄ω ̄ヘ) just wait for her to get bored of you
May 6, 4:19 PM

Apr 2024
It was inevitable anyway.
May 6, 5:00 PM
Apr 2022
Yeah unfortunately this twt discourse is bullshit and Kimura just draws backgrounds like that. Please do research before blatantly disrespecting the artist like that
May 6, 5:04 PM
Apr 2022
Voyageur said:

No you were just ignorantly disrespecting an industry legend and while that guy is overreacting you are absolutely the asshole here for calling kimura’s art AI
May 6, 5:12 PM
Oct 2021
The fact that you cant even distinguish between Ai and Human made art proves this its not even a problem.
IF these were Ai generated and looked this good I cant see how we would have a problem.
May 6, 5:24 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to Peenutz
Voyageur said:

No you were just ignorantly disrespecting an industry legend and while that guy is overreacting you are absolutely the asshole here for calling kimura’s art AI
@Peenutz @davi__ It's not good it's obvious AI. And again you like other before come saying I don"t see well. Show the evidence a good background construction. But you don't comment the images. You just attack me and my eyes. Too hard to do a good demontrastion of my mystakes hm? Because you can't. If you look the background you will see is not human artist work. Or a very stupid humain work. You are the one who disrespecting people for thinking they can draw a tree on a car on a bulding but the building is half here and not and oh wait again the car what I am drawing on drug?
May 6, 5:37 PM
Oct 2023
it's most likely CGI NOT AI
sjabeenMay 6, 5:46 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is the manga really that bad?

Fukoku - 3 hours ago

34 by GeoXsf9 »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Yesterday

105 by Fullmetaldak »»
15 minutes ago

» what's with the hate? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 18

69 by MRD_Crowe »»
5 hours ago

» Too Much Comedy?

Sagepool - May 22

37 by Merve2Love »»
5 hours ago

» I don't think some understand Kafka as a character.

MasterHavik - May 12

41 by Merve2Love »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.