Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
WIND BREAKER
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 18, 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
Damn, the first class really has some tough people. Feels like this episode really set up the tone of the show while the first two episodes were more like intros.

Haruka didn't back down from any challenge but some of the guys in this show really have huge egos. Akihiko feels really out of place. But yeah, definitely gotta watch out for some of the guys are just trying to flex their egos in his show.
Apr 18, 8:54 AM

Dec 2021
First day of school and we're already in a fight, lol.

In the first year class 1 of Furin High School, a group of notorious fighters gathered. While Nirei panicked and Suou quietly observed, Kyoutarou Sugishita, angered by Sakura's words and actions, lunged at him, and the two began fighting fiercely. As their struggle unfolded, a thunderous voice reverberated throughout the school grounds, interrupting their confrontation. The source of the voice that instantly changed the atmosphere of the entire school was Hajime Umemiya, the leader of Bofurin. Sakura and the others looked up at the speakers with tense expressions, but what came out of them was Umemiya's unexpected words.

Umemiya doesn't anticipate the first-years reconciling immediately and wishes for no further conflicts on the first day. Sugishita panics and hurriedly tries to wipe the blood from his nose, but Suou reminds him that the class has already witnessed the showdown with Sakura. Umemiya concludes his speech by ordering everyone to protect the town and all that they hold dear, and the class complies. After Umemiya leaves, Sakura wonders how his classmates can follow his orders without seeing him and if a good fighter can make peace among his followers. Then, Suou suggests Sakura and Sugishita shake hands to get along, but Sakura refuses.

Bofurin... we've finally arrived. This whole "gang" seems like a blast to hang out with. Bring on more!

Apr 18, 10:21 AM
Jan 2023
This episode caught me so off guard LOL. There were so many funny moments.
Apr 18, 11:00 AM

Feb 2021
I had no idea about this anime and that it's made by CloverWorks wtf. Would've started watching this from the start if I knew.

Btw Fuurin (風鈴) means "wind bell", they added 防 (bou) - "ward off, defend, protect, resist" at the end to get Boufuurin (though written with katakana on the logo, ボウフウリン), which is a pun on 防風林 (boufuurin lit. defend wind forest) - windbreak (forest); shelterbelt (trees planted in rows to provide shelter from the wind and to protect soil from erosion). So yeah, this is how they got Wind Breaker. (I've literally never heard about the other meaning of wind breaker before seeing the comments about this anime xD)

And please listen to the full version of the OP, it's fire. Also, the official MV for it released on Natori's channel just 7 hours ago, so check that out too. It's been getting popular and I'm happy about that.

14:53 獅子頭連 (shishitouren) - lit. lion head gang

Cool episode, we've got antagonists now. This was edgy af, but it's fun lol.
Apr 18, 11:03 AM

Sep 2023
This episode was alright. It was good to get a hierarchy for Furin and an understanding of the surrounding city and other groups, but damn there was a lot of screaming in this episode. I can tolerate a little of it, but I hope that it gets toned down in future episodes.
Apr 18, 12:03 PM
Sep 2015
Is this even consider a school? More like hot delinquents' hangout.

Oh, the fanservice is very original, it shows muscle when the shirt lift up when they fight. It's the perfect "less is more" fanservice. But to be honest I still want to see their whole bodies.
Apr 18, 12:33 PM
Sep 2022
Voice acting cast is absolutely stacked in this show
Apr 18, 12:48 PM

Jun 2023
As a manga reader, I like the way they've adapted it so far-
Volume 1 is already done.
Especially the fight scene with Sugishita and the encounter with Lion's Den was well done.
ForphyApr 18, 12:52 PM
Apr 18, 1:13 PM
Jun 2012
I enjoyed this episode more than the previous.

Overall production quality remains the same.

It would be nice to not have such story focus on the territorial disputes. But I understand thats a product of the source adaptation. The gems of this work appear to be the town and its interactions. Not the fighting.
Apr 18, 1:54 PM

Feb 2021
So they don't work, they don't go to school, they spend all day walking around town helping people for free.

What kind of life is that lol?
Apr 18, 2:05 PM
Jan 2015
Man, i hope this gets more interesting later on. The characters and setup seems to have potential, but until now we were just world building for 3 episodes.
The production is super good though.
ThilleApr 18, 2:11 PM
Apr 18, 2:55 PM
Oct 2023
I had to watch the first fight twice
peak
Apr 18, 3:06 PM

May 2019
Sounds like this school is more about community service with lessons in teamwork, painting, communication, borders, watching out for each other, etc. On that note the rival group seems to prefer power over anything else which I think will be their downfall as they don't take care of their own.
Apr 18, 3:16 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Embient
I had no idea about this anime and that it's made by CloverWorks wtf. Would've started watching this from the start if I knew.

Btw Fuurin (風鈴) means "wind bell", they added 防 (bou) - "ward off, defend, protect, resist" at the end to get Boufuurin (though written with katakana on the logo, ボウフウリン), which is a pun on 防風林 (boufuurin lit. defend wind forest) - windbreak (forest); shelterbelt (trees planted in rows to provide shelter from the wind and to protect soil from erosion). So yeah, this is how they got Wind Breaker. (I've literally never heard about the other meaning of wind breaker before seeing the comments about this anime xD)

And please listen to the full version of the OP, it's fire. Also, the official MV for it released on Natori's channel just 7 hours ago, so check that out too. It's been getting popular and I'm happy about that.

14:53 獅子頭連 (shishitouren) - lit. lion head gang

Cool episode, we've got antagonists now. This was edgy af, but it's fun lol.
Embient said:
Fuurin (風鈴) means "wind bell" ... 防風林 (boufuurin lit. defend wind forest) - windbreak (forest); shelterbelt (trees planted in rows to provide shelter from the wind and to protect soil from erosion)

Ohh, thanks. So that's why the show keeps cutting to those glass wind chimes.

I like the forest pun, that might explain the green color scheme in their school uniforms and the promo material.
Apr 18, 3:16 PM
Nov 2016
I already love Umemiya, Hiragi and Sugishita, and it seems we have 2 male tsunderes now.
This is already my favorite series of the season. It has an adorable male tsundere, likeable cast, animation, comedy, nice pacing and both OP and ED are bangers.

I guess this is not a real school. I mean, teachers, exams and classes seem to be like furin police force: nonexistent lol

@phantomfandom
phantomfandom said:
Oh, the fanservice is very original, it shows muscle when the shirt lift up when they fight. It's the perfect "less is more" fanservice. But to be honest I still want to see their whole bodies.

Honestly, same ahah. Umemiya mentioned the beach, so hopefully we will get a beach episode with shirtless guys XD
Apr 18, 3:20 PM

Feb 2015
So far so good - I'm kinda surprised that I'm enjoying this show so far (I tend to dislike most Shounen) :)
This episode was a lot weaker than the first two though. Akihiko is pretty annoying with his constant whining, but I like the other characters so far.
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Apr 18, 3:22 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So we are introduced to another delinquent faction called Shishitoren and their turf is literally on the other side of the tracks trough an underground tunnel. The Shishitoren boys was chasing the Furin guy through their turf towards the underground tunnel until Sakura and Kyotaro stepped in. This caught the attention of Jo Togame who looks like Spike Spiegal from Cowboy Bebop. Jo proves to be a strong opponent who beats up his own men if they have lost a fight. I didn't expect the top guy Furin to be a gardener. lol.
Apr 18, 3:53 PM
Oct 2016
The power structure of this school and the town come further into focus. Sakura getting sneak attacked by Sugishita, using some flexible moves to get by without a scratch against the brute. Sakura got to show how strong he is to the entire class. The top dog himself Umemiya coming over the loudspeaker to address everyone was kinda funny, he seems very aloof and heads in the clouds but I suspect he gets serious about Bofurin and protecting the town. Wanting everyone to get along is important for a leader to maintain control, with this many guys in the school it makes sense some would clash but they need to be able not make up afterwards which Sakura and Sugishita did. Everyone else in the class congratulating Sakura was so wholesome. His quick to anger tsundere responses could be seen as cliche or annoying but He's literally never had positive reinforcement like this so he doesn't know how to react to it. Going on patrol to help the town is a very important aspect of what Bofurin does. Showing themselves around town will deter would-be punks from making moves into Bofurin territory. Going out hunting troublemakers down is too reactive, this way they can cut the problem down at the roots. We get introduced to the rival group Shishitoren, literally from the other side of the railroad tracks. Their guys seem much more cutthroat than Bofurin. The differing ideologies can already be seen and how they'll clash later in big ways will be exciting.
Apr 18, 3:59 PM

Mar 2021
Last week I wondered about the poor teachers of Furin, but now I'm certain they're just completely out of the picture. No homeroom teacher ever strolls in to lecture "Othello" and Furin Baji, and it's the Bofurin leader who delivered the morning announcements. Also, the students just walk right out of class! Do they even have homework?

I love the "slow" guy's drawl, it's like a video game cutscene with a great VA enjoying the role. I didn't even think it was particularly slow until Othello called him out on it!
Apr 18, 4:40 PM

Jul 2016
Reply to MadanielFL
So they don't work, they don't go to school, they spend all day walking around town helping people for free.

What kind of life is that lol?
@MadanielFL

Where were the teachers?
Apr 18, 4:50 PM
Oct 2017
It's just a bunch of guys punching and provoking each other, but it's a lot of fun.
Apr 18, 4:52 PM

Oct 2017
Yeah no fighting as expected, things are just getting started after all. More build up and stuff. Also Furin's top, that's freaking Gojou bruh. With that personality and Nakamura Yuuichi voicing him, no way around it. Btw uh these guys don't have any classes and stuff?
Apr 18, 5:14 PM

Jun 2023
Love them sm ㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁ
Apr 18, 5:15 PM

Oct 2021
Do they actually attend any classes?? 😂

I dig the show so far, though. Animation quality and voice acting have excellent. Fight choreography is good, but it seems like they'll do jump cuts quite a bit, unfortunately, instead of full fight animation.
Apr 18, 6:33 PM

Apr 2022
yeah gojo's VA for umemiya is neat. was an okay episode though.
Apr 18, 6:53 PM

Sep 2018
I'm quite enjoying this, pretty fun and an easy watch.
Apr 18, 6:55 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Lion head the rival gang showed its face at the end of the episode and of course Sakura wants a piece of it and he’s the MC that won’t back down and I love it. I’m happy we got a MC who isn’t weak and cries about everything for a delinquent series that’s really nice 👍
Apr 18, 7:39 PM
Sep 2015
Reply to dodoxdo97
I already love Umemiya, Hiragi and Sugishita, and it seems we have 2 male tsunderes now.
This is already my favorite series of the season. It has an adorable male tsundere, likeable cast, animation, comedy, nice pacing and both OP and ED are bangers.

I guess this is not a real school. I mean, teachers, exams and classes seem to be like furin police force: nonexistent lol

@phantomfandom
phantomfandom said:

Honestly, same ahah. Umemiya mentioned the beach, so hopefully we will get a beach episode with shirtless guys XD
@dodoxdo97 I prefer onsen or bathhouse, they deserve a man-to-man interaction with nothing on them.

Anyway, if Bofurin is a police academy that would explain a lot of things... Like why students need to patrol and why there's no police force.
Apr 18, 9:00 PM

Nov 2022
Umemiya is probably going to be lowkey unhinged I can feel it
Apr 18, 9:10 PM
Apr 2021
very loved fight anime, like tokyo revenger but better for me
Apr 18, 9:30 PM
Oct 2019
good episode, it's cool to see the MC who doesn't run away from places and faces it head on without being a bad guy
Apr 18, 10:46 PM

Feb 2019
Now things are getting interesting. I was wondering what types of threats we’d see in this series and man the number 2 in command of the other gang is going to be a problem. Was hard to watch him beat his own gangmate within an inch of his life… if that’s how he treats his own people, imagine how he does others.

Sakura’s all for fighting strong opponents, but when it comes to people picking on the weak and vulnerable that obviously struck a chord with him.. he’ll need to get stronger before he’s ready for that fight though.

Speaking of fights, I felt like the animation was a little weaker than the first two episodes, especially when Sakura and other dude saved the kid from the other gang members. Hopefully that’s just an exception and we’ll have consistently good production values like the first couple eps.

Other question I got from this episode is what the hell is the curriculum at this school? Where’s the teachers? Is it gonna be like Tokyo Revengers and have no adults in this world lmao?
Marinate1016Apr 18, 10:53 PM
Apr 19, 12:37 AM
Apr 2021
So it seems like we got an episode based more around the world building this time and we learn that there are other factions protecting the city it’s so funny to me that cops aren’t a thing there so these kids rose up and took a stand against crime and there’s a bunch of other factions too like how cop-less is this city?😭😭🤣🤣😭

We got Gojo’s VA voicing Umemiya that shit is hilarious to me bro suits him SO WELL, like the personality and attitude is really suited for his voice ong + bro ALWAYS be voicing the strongest characters in a show💀🔥

Glad we got some stakes now what with Shishitoren and all, the face Togame made after asking if one of the Bofurin guys knocked out of their own and him senselessly beating up his own teammate made bro even look more sadistic like I can’t wait to see how crazy characters in this show can get🤩
Apr 19, 1:15 AM
Sep 2021
So it's a start of a gang war. Excited for the upcoming fights.
Apr 19, 1:26 AM
Oct 2019
Yuuichi Nakamura once again voicing OP character with white hair lol
Apr 19, 2:11 AM

Dec 2022
Plenty of world building and a few quick fights... Pure entertainment
Apr 19, 2:14 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Alright we finally meet with the person at top of the school. He's surely get all the respect, even to Baji. Wonder what kind of person he's? Yeah looks like he really love gardening. Then where the respect coming from? His fighting style? Also they also introduced the kind of opponent. Let's hope there's more brawl coming. But looks like this is only serve as a mere introduction. So let's see next to see more of this bofurin...
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 19, 2:56 AM

Jun 2019
We finally see some other gang members as well. And, they're just as intimidating as I thought. Beating one of their own like that. That was mean. Our leader looks like a happy guy. Seems nice and he grows vegetables. Can't wait to know more about him.
Apr 19, 4:00 AM

Oct 2020
The whole "strong dominate the weak" philosophy is so stupid.
Apr 19, 7:34 AM

Oct 2008
the strongest of Bofurin also has light colored hair just like gojou satoru with the same VA!!
4/5.

Apr 19, 11:21 AM

Nov 2020
Another white-haired, carefree badass voiced by Nakamura Yuuichi xD So there's a war waiting for us, I hope it starts soon.
4/5
Apr 19, 11:21 AM
May 2018
The background so good, I think they using CGI and blend it to anime style for background. But how there's no teacher at all, how they graduate from school instead running around town like a security LOL
Apr 19, 11:22 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to JanWiller06
@JanWiller06 not for the strong xD
Apr 19, 12:54 PM

May 2021
Another great episode with proper world building. A bit too many characters introduced, but it doesn't feel overwhelming... but holy fuck is orange-wimp-kun annoying. Constant overreaction and screaming. Japan SCREAMING IS NOT FUNNY. It's fucking annoying. Am at the edge of dropping this show just because of him. He is that intolerable. Holly hell was skipping scenes he was in necessary.
Apr 19, 12:55 PM

May 2021
Reply to JanWiller06
@JanWiller06 yeah, because if that rule was applied equally whole group would only have a single member.
Apr 19, 1:27 PM

Jan 2014
We only got a yankee that can fight and not much of a cry-baby though his too shy to get a compliment and can' t seems to understand camaraderie between others. Though glad we got other group that can actually put up a fight unlike those scrubs on first episode, otherwise the protector-thing going to get boring really quick.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Apr 19, 6:40 PM

Sep 2023
So... when do they learn math at Furin High School!? xD

This is surprisingly good, I was not expecting to enjoy it after the first episode but here we are!
Apr 19, 7:34 PM
Jan 2015
Nirei is more annoying than Zenitsu from Demon Slayer. I would like more plot and less him screaming "Sakura-kun NOOO"
Apr 19, 8:56 PM
May 2023
Very good episode, so every member of the school is within a hierarchy... interesting such as Commander, General, Captain, Corporal, etc.
The loyalty is quite noticeable and I like that other rival bands are already beginning to appear, surely this conflict will have its repercussions later
I wonder if Umemiya is physically strong or the boss because of other qualities? I'll see and I also wonder if there are women within these groups or are they purely men?
Apr 19, 9:16 PM

Jul 2008
So now that we know the power structure, time to climb the ladder.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wind Breaker Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 23

130 by Ranxomare »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Wind Breaker Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 30

114 by jumbosan »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Wind Breaker Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 4

224 by cooldogmom »»
Jun 3, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Wind Breaker Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 9

116 by Sttc41 »»
Jun 1, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Wind Breaker Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 2

106 by Sttc41 »»
Jun 1, 5:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.