Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 11, 2023 11:44 PM
Nov 2023
I'm getting kinda tired of people claiming Attack On Titan, One Piece, Demon Slayer, and Jujutsu Kaisen are the greatest animes of all time. As someone who watches underrated or lesser known anime, there are more animes out there that are as great as them. Don't get me wrong, I agree that these animes are amazing and deserve the praise, but seeing the same thing I have to hear repeated over and over like a broken record is getting out of hand. What are some non mainstream anime that are the greatest you've seen? This means I don't want mainstream answers like AOT or Naruto.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 11, 2023 11:51 PM

Nov 2021
Mushishi is pretty good.

Frieren which is currently airing is better than jjk, aot and most of the mainstream anime like these.
Nov 11, 2023 11:53 PM

Feb 2020
Natsume Yuujinchou. Everyone should watch that show. Nyanko-sensei alone makes it worth watching.

SerafosNov 11, 2023 11:57 PM
Nov 12, 2023 12:10 AM
Jul 2018
ACCA; the anime equivalent of fine wine.
Nov 12, 2023 12:16 AM
John Titor

Jul 2017
If you grew up with video games from the 90s, High Score Girl is that anime. You'll discover that attention to the details is one of its strongest points, just like Bocchi the Rock!, but without being neither as popular nor highly rated.

Besides, you'll be rewarded with a light-hearted and warming romance story and with a fun and clever comedy along the way, even if you weren't a 90s teen like me.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Nov 12, 2023 12:19 AM

Sep 2020
Haibane Renmei the greatest slice of life anime.
Nov 12, 2023 1:01 AM

Aug 2020
Monster tho i don't think it's for you.

nishant0 said:
Frieren which is currently airing is better than jjk, aot and most of the mainstream anime like these.
tbh i don't get the hype surrounding Frieren. Well the animation is good and some of the "i'm boutta be badass" moments are decent at least.
Nov 12, 2023 1:09 AM

Mar 2012
Terra e... (TV) is a truly a hidden gem.
Nov 12, 2023 1:15 AM

May 2021
Mattenan said:
I'm getting kinda tired of people claiming Attack On Titan, One Piece, Demon Slayer, and Jujutsu Kaisen are the greatest animes of all time. As someone who watches underrated or lesser known anime, there are more animes out there that are as great as them. Don't get me wrong, I agree that these animes are amazing and deserve the praise, but seeing the same thing I have to hear repeated over and over like a broken record is getting out of hand. What are some non mainstream anime that are the greatest you've seen? This means I don't want mainstream answers like AOT or Naruto

Fav non mainstream anime:
  • Hamtaro
  • Zatch Bell
  • Let's & Go

^^These 3 were probs considered mainstream back when i was a kid but have since gone underground

• Buddy Daddies
  • Cat's Eye
  • Cool Doji Danshi
  • Da Li Si Rizhi
  • Dark Cat
  • Given
  • Run With The Wind
  • Lady Georgie
  • Nyan Koi
  • Planetes
  • Outlaw Star
  • Shiki
  • Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai
  • Taishou Otome Otogibanashi
  • Yoru wa Neko to Issho

For airing, maybe The Apothecary Diaries, it's gained a lot of praise but i'm not sure how mainstream it's considered
DigiCatNov 12, 2023 1:22 AM
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Nov 12, 2023 1:24 AM

May 2017
For me it would have to be March comes in like a lion, don't know about mainstream but I don't see a lot of people talking about it, i've also got a few top underrated anime picks in my profile top 10s (IMO)
Nov 12, 2023 1:46 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to Penlifter22
For me it would have to be March comes in like a lion, don't know about mainstream but I don't see a lot of people talking about it, i've also got a few top underrated anime picks in my profile top 10s (IMO)
@Penlifter22
March Comes in Like a Lion is great; it's one of the only anime I've watched on Netflix and liked.

2B on top

Nov 12, 2023 1:47 AM

May 2019
Queen's Blade and Bikini Warriors.
Nov 12, 2023 1:47 AM

Dec 2020
OP probably didn't intend it but for some reason, the original post looks like bait.
As for greatest anime that I think are underrated, these ones come to mind.
K
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Punch Line
Gleipnir
Mnemosyne
Dead Leaves
Bishounen Tanteidan
Heike Monogatari

Nov 12, 2023 2:03 AM
Nov 12, 2023 2:04 AM

Aug 2018
12 Kingdoms for fantasy adventure

Dennou Coil for sci-fi

Kamichu for SOL

these three shows are immaculate works of art and really go to show that anime isn't always just disposable junk media meant to be watched on a phone
Nov 12, 2023 2:10 AM

Mar 2023
Kemono no Souja Erin is very unknown to most people outside Japan.
Nov 12, 2023 2:18 AM

Oct 2019
I mean, pretty much all of my favourite are none mainstream.

but if you want to transition into none-mainstream anime, i would go with something that can ease you in.

so i suggest these:

Death parade - parasyte the maxim - love is war - Megalo box - black lagoon - vinland saga - Mob psycho 100

these are all popular and have wide appeal, but to a smaller lesser degree than you are used to.

have fun!
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Nov 12, 2023 3:01 AM
Jul 2018
Give Brigadoon a try. It is a really weird hidden gem.
Nov 12, 2023 3:45 AM

Aug 2021
Reply to ZXEAN
Haibane Renmei the greatest slice of life anime.
@ZXEAN me when haibane renmei: 😴
Nov 12, 2023 4:02 AM

Apr 2016
shouldn't you be the one naming those animes since you claimed that they're far more greater anime shows that you've mentioned
Nov 12, 2023 4:48 AM

May 2023
hmm I got a lot in my head but its rather subjective for people since I prefer SOL animes as my prefer genre.
Nov 12, 2023 4:57 AM

Aug 2020
Every elitist in ascension should try Texhnolyze.

Nov 12, 2023 5:07 AM

Apr 2018
I am just typing to test my new keyboard and it works flawlessly.

Nov 12, 2023 5:25 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know if I should name Pluto, because I think it's right now popular on Netflix.
But I name a more unknown work by the same author of Vinland Saga:
Planetes really, really needs much more love.

Planetes

Also I love:
- the different Black Jack series
- Dororo
- Metropolis
- 91 Days
- Undead Girl Murder Farce
- Moriarty
- Last Exile
- Bokurano
- Casshern Sins
- Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
- Fujiko Mine
- Michiko & Hatchin
- Samurai Champloo
- Mushishi
- Natsume Yuujinchou
- Heike Monogatari
- The Twelve Kingdoms
- Guardian of the Spirit
- Golden Kamuy
- Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
- Somali and the Forest Spirit
removed-userNov 12, 2023 5:29 AM
Nov 12, 2023 5:26 AM

Dec 2019
To the person above me Monogatari, kon, code geass and clannad are literally all really popular lol

But my favorite non mainstream is one outs and kaiji
Nov 12, 2023 5:54 AM

Feb 2021
Candy, Candy for me. It was my first and favorite series!
Nov 12, 2023 6:24 AM

Jul 2020
"mainstream" and "the greatest" are very broad terms but from the latest shows I'd recommend Hikari no Ou. it's not well known and is really good
Nov 12, 2023 7:00 AM

Mar 2023
you can check them out, they are great anime in their genre.

Planetes
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
Suisei no Gargantia
Undead Girl Murder Farce
Link Click
Grimoire of Zero
Summertime Render
Shiki
Inuyashiki

These are the ones I forgot to add:

Deca-Dence
Kanata no Astra
DAMT34Nov 12, 2023 10:27 AM
Nov 12, 2023 7:05 AM

Jul 2019
Diamond no Ace
Astra lost in space
Kingdom
One Outs
Odd Taxi
Golden Kamuy
Nov 12, 2023 7:30 AM

Jun 2019
As always, what's considered "mainstream" and "not mainstream" is an extremely broad and subjective classification, and it could be sub-divided into those titles I consider not mainstream from among my own personal top favorites, those I think would have the most appeal to others as recommendations, going by genre (drama, horror, romance, action, fantasy, Sci-Fi, etc.), newer ones, older ones, and so on and so forth.

I think this time for the purposes of this question, I'll go with a few different sets. Those from among my own Top 50 which I consider likely the least mainstream, and then some newer ones from the past five years or so.

Most non-mainstream from among my favorites:

- Koi Kaze
- Beatless
- Aishiteruze Baby
- Akage no Anne
- Happy Sugar Life
- Hyouge Mono
- Aku no Hana
- Gallery Fake
- Kodomo no Jikan
- Sora no Woto
- Centaur no Nayami
- Earth Maiden Arjuna
- Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi
- Ie Naki Ko Remy (1996 iteration)
- Hakumei to Mikochi
- Ikoku Meiro no Croisée the Animation

And a few more outside of my Top 50, but which would probably be close if I expanded the list further:

- Saraiya Goyou
- Beautiful Bones - Sakurako's Investigation
- Time Travel Shoujo: Mari Waka to 8-nin no Kagakusha-tachi
- Kokoro Toshokan
- Mars Red
- Zettai Shounen
- The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace

And then some of the most non-mainstream ones I have a favorable opinion of from recent times (within the past five years), excluding those which I already listed as part of the above category:

- Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes
- Hanebado!
- Houkago Saikoro Club
- Cop Craft
- Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei
- Appare-Ranman!
- Hataraku Saibou Black
- Tenchi Souzou Design-bu
- Urasekai Picnic
- Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu
- Estab-Life: Great Escape
- Requiem of the Rose King
- Police in a Pod
- Human Bug Daigaku
- AI no Idenshi
- Hikari no Ou

WatchTillTandavaNov 12, 2023 10:34 AM
Nov 12, 2023 7:32 AM

Sep 2018
My choices would then go to
Isekai Ojisan
Ucchi no ko no tame
Lv 1 maou to one room hero
Ah my goddess
Nov 12, 2023 7:44 AM

Mar 2019
Casshern Sins, this anime is so fucking cool!

Summertime Render, the best anime of last year.

Kanata no Astra, one of the coolest Space anime I've ever seen.

Nov 12, 2023 7:57 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
Tbh I have no idea what is or isn't mainstream anymore

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Nov 12, 2023 8:10 AM

Aug 2021
The royal tutor don't know why it got me hooked :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 12, 2023 8:15 AM

Nov 2021
TRC_Randy said:
tbh i don't get the hype surrounding Frieren. Well the animation is good and some of the "i'm boutta be badass" moments are decent at least.
It’s a unique take on fantasy anime, good soundtrack, a character focused story and visually appealing makes it really stand out from the rest.
Nov 12, 2023 8:36 AM

Mar 2021
Gurren Lagann. ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

Nov 12, 2023 9:57 AM

Dec 2022
Betterman, Planetarian, Bakuon, Yosuga no Sora, Darker Than Black Gaiden, Strange Dawn, Ima Soko ni Iru Boku, Crest of the Stars, Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince.

There's a few masterful non-mainstream anime, which I will no doubt see more of in the future.

Shaded Horizon

Nov 12, 2023 10:43 AM

Jul 2022
The entire Toaru-verse (Index, Railgun, Accelerator, etc.)

Insane worldbuilding, great storyline, well-written characters, unique premise & excellent power systems (magic and esper). Not to mention god-tier OPs and EDs. The best way to experience it is to read light novels and mangas though.
For anime exclusives, Railgun probably offers the best experience in anime overall, especially in its 2nd and 3rd seasons.
It is insanely popular in Japan, yet not mainstream in the slightest here in the West. It deserves to be in my opinion.

(poster for Railgun season 1)
Nov 12, 2023 10:58 AM

May 2017
Reply to hatoku
@Penlifter22
March Comes in Like a Lion is great; it's one of the only anime I've watched on Netflix and liked.
@hatoku Nice, didn't know it was on netflix. Glad to hear you liked it as well, we need a third season soon!
Nov 12, 2023 5:21 PM

Aug 2020
Reply to nishant0
TRC_Randy said:
It’s a unique take on fantasy anime, good soundtrack, a character focused story and visually appealing makes it really stand out from the rest.
nishant0 said:
It’s a unique take on fantasy anime,
well nothing we haven't seen before.

nishant0 said:
good soundtrack
good sountrack?
Nov 12, 2023 6:02 PM

Feb 2016
Most of my favorites have been mainstream at some time in some place, but they are not currently mainstream where I live.
その目だれの目?
Nov 12, 2023 6:10 PM

May 2015
Golden Kamuy
Gosick
Hanasaku Iroha
Heike Monogatari
Chihayafuru
Ergo Proxy
Monster
Texhnolyze
Nov 12, 2023 6:35 PM

Feb 2022
Reply to khoisharky
The entire Toaru-verse (Index, Railgun, Accelerator, etc.)

Insane worldbuilding, great storyline, well-written characters, unique premise & excellent power systems (magic and esper). Not to mention god-tier OPs and EDs. The best way to experience it is to read light novels and mangas though.
For anime exclusives, Railgun probably offers the best experience in anime overall, especially in its 2nd and 3rd seasons.
It is insanely popular in Japan, yet not mainstream in the slightest here in the West. It deserves to be in my opinion.

(poster for Railgun season 1)
@khoisharky Only good post in the thread (along with the TTGL recommendation). May the Magic Gods bless you.

Read the Index light novels btw, they're the definitive and complete way to experience the series.
Nov 12, 2023 6:49 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to Penlifter22
@hatoku Nice, didn't know it was on netflix. Glad to hear you liked it as well, we need a third season soon!
@Penlifter22
I don't think its on there anymore but it was when I watched it.

2B on top

Nov 12, 2023 7:06 PM
Sep 2022
Dirty Pair. A great Sci-Fi action comedy anime that's cheesy yet very charming.
Nov 12, 2023 7:13 PM

Nov 2019
Casshern Sins, The Big O, Seirei no Moribito, Kachou Ouji, and Hidamari no Ki.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Nov 12, 2023 7:23 PM
Jan 2021
While not very obscure, here are a few of "lesser known" anime that I liked

very lighthearted (with a very long name) Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru
(My Mental Choices Are Completely Interfering With My School Romantic Comedy)
lighthearted Hisone to Maso-tan (Dragon Pilot)
darker Koi wa Ameagari no You ni (After the Rain)
very dark Kuzu no Honkai (Scum's Wish)
William Hughes

Complex systems exhibit unexpected behaviour
Nov 12, 2023 11:28 PM

Jul 2022
Reply to the13thStruggle
@khoisharky Only good post in the thread (along with the TTGL recommendation). May the Magic Gods bless you.

Read the Index light novels btw, they're the definitive and complete way to experience the series.
@the13thStruggle Thanks bro. Currently chewing through OT with great pleasure. NT's gonna be even better I assume.
Nov 12, 2023 11:50 PM
Apr 2023
Legend of The Galactic Heroes. I cannot stress enough how not-mainstream it is or how epic this anime is. There is no better anime series out there. Not a lot of people know about it though. So it stands on cca. 12 spot on the best anime list.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think fan-animations are shit

Kenzolo-folk - Yesterday

8 by Kenzolo-folk »»
16 seconds ago

» anime with unexpectedly good openings

kushakashi - Aug 6, 2023

29 by Zarutaku »»
46 seconds ago

» Why do people "self-insert" with weak characters

Anjuro - Yesterday

26 by Anjuro »»
8 minutes ago

» Good characters trapped in bad series.

Anjuro - May 29

47 by eblf2013 »»
10 minutes ago

» What anime surprised you the most?

jieanteater - Apr 4, 2023

43 by Asphiee »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.