Forum Settings
Forums

Would you watch anime if it had no attractive characters at all?

New
Jul 8, 2023 7:27 PM

Sep 2018
There was a forum I read asking if you would watch anime that had no fanservice/sexualization. Many said yes which is hilarious to me since a big part of sexualization in anime is designing the characters to be hot. So I thought I would ask this question again with the catch meaning the anime lacks all pretty boys ie (any JJK male, Lloyd Forger) and any pretty girl either. Instead you get this.

Personally, I would skip such anime and watch stuff with attractive characters. So would you watch anime without good looking characters?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2023 7:32 PM

May 2019
ABSOLUTELY NOT
One of the main reasons i watch anime and play jrpgs is because of the beautiful and mesmerizing and magical artstyle that is common in japanese manga and the other related print medias.
On the opposite side i refuse to play western games and watch western cartoons because of the ugly and repulsive realistic artstyle that intentionally makes characters look as awful as possible.

tchitchouanJul 8, 2023 7:51 PM
Jul 8, 2023 7:40 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Definitely, as long as the artstyle isnt ugly like in Seven Deadly Sins.

Attractive characters aren't that important, it's just nothing more than a bonus.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jul 8, 2023 7:46 PM

Aug 2018
Sure. After all, I watched Ousama Ranking (but I kinda wish I hadn't). The closest that show has to a waifu might be queen Hilling and she looks like this:
Jul 8, 2023 7:52 PM

Sep 2018
epidemia78 said:
Sure. After all, I watched Ousama Ranking (but I kinda wish I hadn't). The closest that show has to a waifu might be queen Hilling and she looks like this:

I did like that show, but I did not think the cast was ugly. Fair point.
Jul 8, 2023 7:52 PM

Oct 2021
Well one of my fav anime is mob psycho so....
Jul 8, 2023 7:56 PM

Sep 2018
tchitchouan said:
ABSOLUTELY NOT
One of the main reasons i watch anime and play jrpgs is because of the beautiful and mesmerizing and magical artstyle that is common in japanese manga and the other related print medias.
On the opposite side i refuse to play western games and watch western cartoons because of the ugly and repulsive realistic artstyle that intentionally makes characters look as awful as possible.

That Morrigon will give me nightmares. Lmao
Reminds me of the cursed digimon movie short

Pretty sure that ruined the movie for many. Really shows why I push english subbed for digimon anyway.
Jul 8, 2023 7:56 PM

Oct 2013
Would I watch anything with no characters I find attractive? I already have. Multiple times. You think I watched Dorohedoro because I found any of the characters attractive? I watched it cuz there's a dude with a lizard head.

I got over that mindset years ago.
Jul 8, 2023 7:57 PM
Dec 2020
epidemia78 said:

hey now don't you dare disrespect mommy Hiling like that, she's beautiful 😭 😭 😭
Jul 8, 2023 8:01 PM

May 2019
rohan121 said:
tchitchouan said:
ABSOLUTELY NOT

That Morrigon will give me nightmares. Lmao
Reminds me of the cursed digimon movie short

Pretty sure that ruined the movie for many. Really shows why I push english subbed for digimon anyway.

HOLY COW, i'm getting horrifying flashbacks from Angela Anaconda. it is hands down the ugliest show made by human hands, not even the newer stuff like big mouth and wild thornberrys could compare. it almost killed the digimon film for many.

Jul 8, 2023 8:06 PM

Jul 2019
Mou Ippon! was one of my favorite anime of winter, and it didn't have traditionally "anime attractive" characters, so I'd say yes, I would.
Jul 8, 2023 8:11 PM

Oct 2013
tchitchouan said:
ABSOLUTELY NOT

Geez, maybe that's because western cartoons aren't made to sell horny merch to people. Man am I glad I don't think like this...I would have missed out on so many of my favorite shows, and several non Japanese games I really liked. Not to mention if I kept this mindset with anime I would have missed out on some fun stuff there too.

Also, while past me that was more obsessed with sexy Japanese characters than I currently am would have been appalled by that Morrigan, current me thinks that's fucking hilarious. 
FanofActionJul 8, 2023 8:17 PM
Jul 8, 2023 8:12 PM

May 2019
Jackson1333 said:
Mou Ippon! was one of my favorite anime of winter, and it didn't have traditionally "anime attractive" characters, so I'd say yes, I would.

oh believe me the characters in Mou Ippon are quite decently good looking, in terms of character design things could be a lot worse and i mean A LOT worse.

Jul 8, 2023 8:12 PM

Feb 2018
I guess I would, assuming the anime is not too long, and if it has a good story.
The answer to 1984 is 1776
Jul 8, 2023 8:13 PM

Mar 2021
If it has an interesting plot, well written characters, ect. than sure, I would watch it. A good example would be Ping Pong the Animation. The characters aren't physically attractive (at least to me) because of the art style, but the show is still very good, and the animation is very good too. 

I love the classic "anime" art styles and character designs just as much as the next guy, but there is plenty of good shows out there that don't adhere to that style, and skipping out on them because the characters aren't attractive enough or whatever is definitely a loss. I remember a lot of people skipping out on shows like Odd Taxi and Ranking of Kings because of the unique art style, and its a shame since both shows, especially Odd Taxi IMO, are really good. 

Not all anime characters have to pander to waifu loving otaku, and not all anime has to be fap material, you know?
Jul 8, 2023 8:19 PM

May 2019
FanofAction said:
tchitchouan said:
ABSOLUTELY NOT

Geez, maybe that's because western cartoons aren't made to sell horny merch to people. Man am I glad I don't think like this...I wouldn't have missed out on so many of my favorite shows, and several non Japanese games I really liked. Not to mention if I kept this mindset with anime I would have missed out on some fun stuff there too.

Also, while past me that was more obsessed with sexy Japanese characters than I currently am would have been appalled by that Morrigan, current me thinks that's fucking hilarious. 

I'm quite the opposite, i've had the opportunity to watch very many cartoons growing up and i regret having been subject to watching them, if i had known better at the time i wouldn't have watched them especially the ones with ugly artstyles but anime was very scarce and uncommon where i lived in the early 2000's, but as time progressed and i grew into an adult i realized that i actually hated most cartoons i watched as a kid and regret not having known better what i was missing out on the anime side, i'm still on that mindset to this day i actively shun and avoid anything western with an ugly or realistic artstyle.
Jul 8, 2023 8:24 PM

Jun 2016
I'd say yes because shows with ugly characters usually make up for it by having characters with quirky personalities. Which is pretty much every kid cartoon I grew up with. I feel like when a show has a downside they have to make up for it in another way.
Jul 8, 2023 8:26 PM

Oct 2013
tchitchouan said:
FanofAction said:
Geez, maybe that's because western cartoons aren't made to sell horny merch to people. Man am I glad I don't think like this...I wouldn't have missed out on so many of my favorite shows, and several non Japanese games I really liked. Not to mention if I kept this mindset with anime I would have missed out on some fun stuff there too.

I'm quite the opposite, i've had the opportunity to watch very many cartoons growing up and i regret having been subject to watching them, if i had known better at the time i wouldn't have watched them especially the ones with ugly artstyles but anime was very scarce and uncommon where i lived in the early 2000's, but as time progressed and i grew into an adult i realized that i actually hated most cartoons i watched as a kid and regret not having known better what i was missing out on the anime side, i'm still on this mindset to this day i actively shun and avoid anything western with an ugly or realistic artstyle.
See, what I did was get into anime half because it filled my growing interest in action focused series and half because of the more attractive characters at first, and then later realized that since I watched ugly ass cartoons, I could also watch unattractive anime. When I first started anime, I would have avoided shows like Mob Psycho like the plague. But that's not the case now.
Jul 8, 2023 8:28 PM

Jul 2019
tchitchouan said:
Jackson1333 said:

oh believe me the characters in Mou Ippon are quite decently good looking, in terms of character design things could be a lot worse and i mean A LOT worse.

Lets see, As far as "anime attractive" goes we have

15yo first year highschooler

V.S. 15yo first year highschooler

I'd say one far more closely fits your typical Highschool female MC. Far more fall into that first, Tall, thin, big sparkly eyes, mid to large breasts. Not many are going to be round and plain faced, slightly pudgy, boyish, smaller chested.

So yes, as far as anime standards go, the Mou Ippon girls definitely fall pretty far down on the "anime attractiveness" scale, lol. At least in my opinion. I don't think any of them are going to be winning any "hottest anime girl" awards any time soon.

Let's be honest, My Dress up Darling would not be nearly as popular as it is, If Marin looked like Michi
Jul 8, 2023 8:34 PM

May 2019
FanofAction said:
tchitchouan said:

I'm quite the opposite, i've had the opportunity to watch very many cartoons growing up and i regret having been subject to watching them, if i had known better at the time i wouldn't have watched them especially the ones with ugly artstyles but anime was very scarce and uncommon where i lived in the early 2000's, but as time progressed and i grew into an adult i realized that i actually hated most cartoons i watched as a kid and regret not having known better what i was missing out on the anime side, i'm still on this mindset to this day i actively shun and avoid anything western with an ugly or realistic artstyle.
See, what I did was get into anime half because it filled my growing interest in action focused series and half because of the more attractive characters at first, and then later realized that since I watched ugly ass cartoons, I could also watch unattractive anime. When I first started anime, I would have avoided shows like Mob Psycho like the plague. But that's not the case now.

Well what got me interested in anime was not action, i did watch dragon ball, naruto and hunter x hunter when i was younger but i wouldn't necessarily say i was a fan of them, action shonen never really appealed to me. What actually got me into anime is that it can ashamedly display scenes of sex and nudity without stigma whether comedically or seriously and i found that absolutely fascinating and unparalleled by any other equivalent media at the time, so i started watching more of what i liked and what i deemed pleasing for the eyes and later i realized that there is a whole genre called ecchi full of what exactly i wanted to see.
tchitchouanJul 8, 2023 8:43 PM
Jul 8, 2023 8:40 PM

May 2019
Jackson1333 said:
tchitchouan said:

Lets see, As far as "anime attractive" goes we have

15yo first year highschooler

V.S. 15yo first year highschooler

I'd say one far more closely fits your typical Highschool female MC. Far more fall into that first, Tall, thin, big sparkly eyes, mid to large breasts. Not many are going to be round and plain faced, slightly pudgy, boyish, smaller chested.

So yes, as far as anime standards go, the Mou Ippon girls definitely fall pretty far down on the "anime attractiveness" scale, lol. At least in my opinion. I don't think any of them are going to be winning any "hottest anime girl" awards any time soon.

Let's be honest, My Dress up Darling would not be nearly as popular as it is, If Marin looked like Michi

Well in this case it depends on the target audience and the theme of the anime, it's expected for my dress up darling and other similar anime who deal with romance and fashion to have incredibly attractive character, whereas is school sports anime so it's okay to have average looking characters to show to the audience that anyone can reach their athletic dreams given enough effort and perseverance, but in the world of fashion if weren't not born good looking then you have no chance (which is true in both cases, you don't have to be handsome to succeed in sports but you have to be attractive to succeed in fashion).
tchitchouanJul 8, 2023 8:44 PM
Jul 8, 2023 8:45 PM

Oct 2013
tchitchouan said:
FanofAction said:

Well what got me interested in anime was not action, i did watch dragon ball, naruto and hunter x hunter when i was younger but i wouldn't necessarily say i was a fan of them, action shonen never really appealed to me. What actually got me into anime is that it can ashamedly display scenes of sex and nudity without rancour whether comedically or seriously and i found that absolutely fascinating and unparalleled by any other equivalent media at the time, so i started watching more of what i liked and what i deemed pleasing for the eyes and i later realized that there is a whole genre called ecchi full of what exactly i want to see.
That was a major part in why I got into anime as well. Ikkitousen was one of the first few anime I watched when I started watching subs exclusively, and it for sure left an impact. Not to mention certain mecha anime fueled my interest in skintight outfits. That's just become more of a side interest than it intially was when it comes to anime for me. Now while not exclusively why I play games, female game characters have all but replaced my interest in anime girls for the most part.
Jul 8, 2023 8:52 PM

May 2019
FanofAction said:
tchitchouan said:

Well what got me interested in anime was not action, i did watch dragon ball, naruto and hunter x hunter when i was younger but i wouldn't necessarily say i was a fan of them, action shonen never really appealed to me. What actually got me into anime is that it can ashamedly display scenes of sex and nudity without rancour whether comedically or seriously and i found that absolutely fascinating and unparalleled by any other equivalent media at the time, so i started watching more of what i liked and what i deemed pleasing for the eyes and i later realized that there is a whole genre called ecchi full of what exactly i want to see.
That was a major part in why I got into anime as well. Ikkitousen was one of the first few anime I watched when I started watching subs exclusively, and it for sure left an impact. Not to mention certain mecha anime fueled my interest in skintight outfits. That's just become more of a side interest than it intially was when it comes to anime for me. Now while not exclusively why I play games, female game characters have all but replaced my interest in anime girls for the most part.

Same here, just replace ikkitousen with queen's blade and we'd be on the same page. Moreover, i agree with your point on video games. They actually have some incredibly attractive female characters, my favorites are Kainé from Nier, Cammy and Elena from Street Fighter, Isabella Valentine from Soulcalibur and Mai Shiranui from SNK.
tchitchouanJul 8, 2023 8:56 PM
Jul 8, 2023 8:53 PM

Aug 2010
I watched Beastars and Odd Taxi, so yes.

Must admit when I first got into anime I would avoid shows with character designs I don't like, one example is Honey & Clover. But the more I understand the type/genre I like, I find that show fits my liking and true enough, in the end it even became one of my favorites.
Jul 8, 2023 8:54 PM

May 2018
No I won't. Western PC garbage and woke  crap need to get out of anime.
Jul 8, 2023 8:58 PM

Jun 2017
Jackson1333 said:

Back in the day I fixed Mou Ippon! so that it could appeal to a wider (ha ha) audience:

Anna's legs look a bit weird ngl, but she's a bitch anyway.

Jul 8, 2023 9:01 PM

May 2019
Papa_Scorch said:
Western PC garbage and woke  crap need to get out of anime.

I strongly agree with this statement.
Jul 8, 2023 9:01 PM

Jul 2019
Tirinchas said:
Jackson1333 said:

Back in the day I fixed Mou Ippon! so that it could appeal to a wider (ha ha) audience:

Anna's legs look a bit weird ngl, but she's a bitch anyway.

Now they look like they are in elementary school, which is going to attract a whole new audience, lol
Jul 8, 2023 9:10 PM

Oct 2013
tchitchouan said:
FanofAction said:

Same here, just replace ikkitousen with queen's blade and we'd be on the same page. Moreover, i agree with your point on video games. They actually have some incredibly attractive female characters, my favorites are Kainé from Nier, Cammy and Elena from Street Fighter, Isabella Valentine from Soulcalibur and Mai Shiranui from SNK.
Those are great picks. As much as I love fighting games for the fighting aspect, damn do they usually have some really hot characters. Mine are Juri and Menat from Street Fighter, Tira and Taki from Soulcalibur and Eliza and Alisa from Tekken.
Jul 8, 2023 9:13 PM

May 2019
FanofAction said:
tchitchouan said:

Those are great picks. As much as I love fighting games for the fighting aspect, damn do they usually have some really hot characters. Mine are Juri and Menat from Street Fighter, Tira and Taki from Soulcalibur and Eliza and Alisa from Tekken.

Excellent choices, especially Han Juri she's really sexy in an evil yandere kinda way.
Jul 8, 2023 9:18 PM

Feb 2016
Probably not, it's the main reason why I haven't watched Ore Monogatari. I know I would love that anime if they had a normal looking MC. I just don't think I can sit through 24 episodes of looking at the male MC's face
Jul 8, 2023 9:21 PM

Apr 2015
Nope, not at all. A huge appeal of anime for me is the nice looking or hot female characters. Anime doesn't need to be like Western stuff where most of the female characters are ugly and unappealing. 
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jul 8, 2023 9:27 PM

Oct 2013
tchitchouan said:
FanofAction said:

Excellent choices, especially Han Juri she's really sexy in an evil yandere kinda way.
Oh yeah. And I swear she gets sexier with each game.
Jul 8, 2023 9:32 PM

Jun 2017
It's all a matter of perspective. Compared to Kumin, most anime girls are ugly. So yes, I've watched a lot of anime with no attractive characters at all.

Jul 8, 2023 9:35 PM

May 2019
FanofAction said:
tchitchouan said:

Have you seen her in street fighter 6. She's so fine.
Jul 8, 2023 9:55 PM

Feb 2020
If it was a good story, then yes. I think that matters the most.
Jul 8, 2023 10:00 PM

Oct 2013
tchitchouan said:
FanofAction said:

Seen it, and own it. I especially like how they took her outfit from street fighter v and gave it cleavage, which is a change I'll never complain about.
Jul 8, 2023 10:03 PM

May 2019
FanofAction said:
tchitchouan said:

Seen it, and own it. I especially like how they took her outfit from street fighter v and gave it cleavage, which is a change I'll never complain about.

Yeah that cleavage is a definite plus about her new outfit, but her feet and toes will always remain her most attractive trait.
Jul 8, 2023 10:10 PM

Mar 2021
rohan121 said:
Would you watch anime if it had no attractive characters at all?

Anime does exist where Users will watch something despite offering no attractive characters. A good modern Example would be "Saga of Tanya the Evil" where you got an Adult man that gets reincarnated into the body of a female child in an alternate reality where magic exists during an alternate timeline of World War One.

I didn't watch this Anime because I thought any of the characters were attractive looking. Tanya comes off more as a creepy child like doll than anything else which to me is far from being anything attractive in my opinion. I would have my doubts that "Tanya Degurechaff" would even appeal to someone who is a total lolicon. lol

ColourWheelJul 8, 2023 10:15 PM
Jul 8, 2023 10:23 PM

Jul 2012
I mean, if the characters aren't attractive but still have standard face proportions then Yup i'd still watch it. It's when characters tend to have caricature-like features, then i'll probably hesitate to watch it.

A couple examples:
Usopp from One PieceHis nose bothered me too much and now I fell too far behind to even wana give One Piece a proper chance.
Kaiji - I've been avoiding it because of pointy chin.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.

Jul 8, 2023 10:26 PM
Oct 2017
Sure, pretty sure almost all my favourite shows have no attractive characters (Bleach, Psycho Pass, Angel Beats, Steins Gate and City Hunter to name a few). 

To be honest, I struggle to think of any examples of shows I watch with an attractive character. Maybe Hokuto No Ken, if you count men. 

Beauty is subjective, but come on, they are 2D animations, how attractive could they possibly be? 
Jul 8, 2023 10:53 PM

Nov 2011
Yes, if the other aspects are that good, why not?
Ping Pong the Animation is easily one of the best anime ever.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jul 8, 2023 10:57 PM

Dec 2021
Yup, Mob Psycho characters are awful to me, but the story keeps me watching.
Jul 8, 2023 11:04 PM

Nov 2016
epidemia78 said:

Hiling hitting different, tho.

Cutest nose in anime(because she actually has something that looks remotely like a nose)

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 8, 2023 11:50 PM

Mar 2023
Yes, none of the characters in Kaiba looks attractive in the slightest. But i still liked the anime.
Jul 9, 2023 12:01 AM
Nov 2019
Hell yeah I would! Cute/hot characters are definitely a good way to draw me in (although my tastes are kinda all over the place so it's kinda difficult to find my kind of bishounen in recent years). But when an anime has good writing, nails the ending, has something meaningful going on, or just cool animation, it feels like a different type of "sell" than a single character's design can provide.

Plus I crave cutesy stuff that wouldn't be called "attractive."
Jul 9, 2023 12:07 AM

Jul 2021
yup i don't mind at all but then the story got to be really good as cute girls then can't carry the show.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jul 9, 2023 12:23 AM

Apr 2012
As if it's a hypothetical. Some of the best anime ever don't have attractive character designs.

Sciadopitys said:
Perhaps a better question would be whether there is actually any point to not including attractive characters in any given story?

Of course it can be useful, or even necessary. Imagine, for instance, Now and Then, Here and There if everyone was a bishuojo/bishounen. It would be a tremendous distraction from what the story is about.

There are some things where making characters attractive would be an upgrade, but good anime tend to have reasons for their artstyle choices.
Jul 9, 2023 12:43 AM
Jul 2021
Probably not. Why watch something not visually appealing in the first place? I can get a good story from books, what I want from anime is something to please my eyes. Although, if the story is extremely good, I I might consider it
Jul 9, 2023 1:06 AM

Aug 2016
Yes. There's anime out there with unattractive characters and there's other animated works I've watched without any attractive characters.

Hell, some of the best animated works I enjoyed don't have attractive characters
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

130 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
5 minutes ago

» MAL Clubs

Ryzenn11_ - 3 hours ago

4 by KitsuFrost »»
22 minutes ago

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 7

131 by APolygons2 »»
39 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime? ( 1 2 )

RedTea33 - May 27

51 by tchitchouan »»
1 hour ago

» I am praising the anime industry in general (a short topic where I'm sharing my personal thoughts).

9765 - Yesterday

10 by 9765 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.