Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 9, 2023 3:42 AM

Aug 2022
What are some of yall's most spicy anime takes? I wanna see this thread at the top of the Scoville scale.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2023 3:48 AM

Sep 2020
Byousoku 5 centimeter>Your name≒Suzume no tozimari>Tenki no ko
Apr 9, 2023 4:01 AM
Jun 2021
Shinkai is a boring hack.
Hosoda is overrated, not as much of a hack as Shinkai, but still a hack.
Ufotable animation is absolutely soulless.
Mecha is actually a good genre.
Seasonal romcoms are one of the worst things to happen to anime alongside generic Isekai garbage.
Yoshiyuki Tomino is based and deserves to be held in much higher regard.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Apr 9, 2023 4:07 AM

Aug 2022
TheMechaManiac said:
Isn't this just a normal take? Cause mecha's always been dope.
Apr 9, 2023 4:24 AM

Nov 2011
Fullmetal Alchemist is actually decent. Unlike those overrated trash (exaggerated, but kinda in comparison) of Shingeki no Kyojin or One Piece.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Apr 9, 2023 4:27 AM
Jul 2018
takamono said:
True. Tenki no ko wasn't all that anyway.
Apr 9, 2023 4:30 AM

Sep 2010
takamono said:

Is that really a hot take tho? Pretty much everyone who watched it says that 5cm/s is one of the best romance movies ever made. It just never was as popular as Your Name and now it's also too old for a lot of people to get picked up.
Apr 9, 2023 4:31 AM

Mar 2020
Ufotable’s animation is boring and Wit Studio is overrated
Apr 9, 2023 4:32 AM

May 2020
Hanekawa>>>Senjougahara

Wasteful Days of Highschool Girls>>>Daily Lives of Highschool Boys
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Apr 9, 2023 4:34 AM
Jul 2018
Clannad's terrible. Except for like the last 5/6 eps of After Story.
Apr 9, 2023 4:35 AM

Jul 2021
struggler_sensei said:
TheMechaManiac said:
People in general don't seem to like it.
Tbh having big robots in screen in kind of boring.
Though the Transformers level visual spectacle does have an appeal.
But anime in general doesn't do action well.

This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 9, 2023 4:42 AM

Aug 2022
JaniSIr said:
struggler_sensei said:

I don't see how that's the case considering the popularity of Gundam, Eva, Gurren Lagan, and so on. Maybe it's just my age since I grew up in the 90s when mecha shows were everywhere. 
Also, what do you even mean anime in general doesn't do action well? Now, that is a spicy take.
Apr 9, 2023 4:42 AM

Jul 2022
Nice to see you back struggler. As for my takes, I've always held the opinion that filler isn't always bad. Sometimes it adds more depth to the story.
Apr 9, 2023 4:45 AM

Aug 2022
Say-My-Name said:
Nice to see you back struggler. As for my takes, I've always held the opinion that filler isn't always bad. Sometimes it adds more depth to the story.
Yeah man doing my master's thesis now so it's time to procrastinate on MAL yet again. That filler take is pretty spicy I must say.
Apr 9, 2023 4:46 AM

Sep 2020
ateks said:
takamono said:

Is that really a hot take tho? Pretty much everyone who watched it says that 5cm/s is one of the best romance movies ever made. It just never was as popular as Your Name and now it's also too old for a lot of people to get picked up.
I’ve actually seen quite some people who doesn’t like it, and Your name still appears the most when it comes to “your favorite Shinkai films”, so I would say it’s a hot take.
Apr 9, 2023 4:47 AM
Dec 2021
TLudos said:
Clannad's terrible. Except for like the last 5/6 eps of After Story.
I wouldn't say terrible but bellow average.
It's not even top 70 in my romance ranking

fruits basket is worse tho
Apr 9, 2023 4:49 AM

Dec 2021
I’m a bit tired of giving my standard response to these kinds of threads (especially my take on Hyouka which I always feel guilty talking about) so I’ll give a different one this time.

I personally like the Osamu Dezaki version of Air better than the Kyoto Animation version. The Dezaki version was a bit more generic and Makoto Shinkai-esque but I always found the Kyoto Animation version, whilst more faithful to the original VN, way too weird and abstract. I like the groundedness of Dezaki’s version and the framing device of a school project to tie in the Summer arc. Although maybe I’m just a sucker for those Dezaki’s pastel freeze frames, who knows? Could’ve been longer though.

Apr 9, 2023 4:58 AM
Jul 2018
animeIs4Children said:
I wouldn't say terrible but bellow average.
It's not even top 70 in my romance ranking
Terrible was a bit of an exaggeration. I gave Clannad a 5, and AS a 6, but yh.
Apr 9, 2023 4:59 AM
Jul 2018
I don't hear people talk about Hyouka. That was amazing. Its in my personal top 10.
Apr 9, 2023 5:02 AM

Jan 2008
Fire Force would be watchable without the fanservice

Chainsaw Man was  overrated

All the worst people lived in Attack on Titan

Male Idol is actually quite deep and deserves more recognition

Seven Deadly sins dropped to utter trash the moment King's look changed

Apr 9, 2023 5:10 AM

Jul 2016
UberBat said:

haven't watched seven deadly sins since its first 20 or so episodes years ago, i got curious and searched it up...
who the fk is this
is this king's new form? every day... every day i find something new about seven deadly sins...
Apr 9, 2023 5:13 AM

Jan 2008
Cazqui-09 said:
UberBat said:

haven't watched seven deadly sins since its first 20 or so episodes years ago, i got curious and searched it up...
who the fk is this
is this king's new form? every day... every day i find something new about seven deadly sins...

I would have been semi-ok with it if it wasn't for
Apr 9, 2023 5:20 AM

Feb 2018
Anime does not do Storytelling especially well... but nether do the Japanese in general, from what i've seen of their Cinema to date.

Soap Opera seems to basically be the peak of their storytelling prowess, so it's little wonder the industry
stands behind youthful romantic drama as much as they have historically tended to.

well, that, and the built-in potential for fresh sets of lovely anime ladies for everyone to ogle over...

MasterTasukeApr 9, 2023 5:27 AM
Apr 9, 2023 5:21 AM

Jul 2016
UberBat said:
Cazqui-09 said:

who the fk is this

I would have been semi-ok with it if it wasn't for

i understand that. i am deeply concerned, convinced that the
is the biggest issue. wonder how much
Apr 9, 2023 5:34 AM

Apr 2016
Evangelion is not a mecha anime. It's just giants wearing armor. It's as if the titans in AoT were to wear armor and people would start calling it a mecha anime.
Apr 9, 2023 5:35 AM

Aug 2022
MasterTasuke said:

Anime does not do Storytelling especially well... but nether do the Japanese in general, from what i've seen of their Cinema to date...

now that is a very spicy take, especially when Monster and Berserk exist. And expanding the take to Japanese cinema is even spicier when Akira Kurosawa's films have been right there for anyone to see for decades.
Apr 9, 2023 5:36 AM

Aug 2022
Pit93 said:
Evangelion is not a mecha anime. It's just giants wearing armor. It's as if the titans in AoT were to wear armor and people would start calling it a mecha anime.
I's say it's more that AoT is just a flesh mecha
Apr 9, 2023 5:37 AM

Dec 2015
Any genre, even isekai can be good if you watch it for enjoyment x)
Apr 9, 2023 5:40 AM
Jul 2018
I think the whole enjoying animation over "quality" is BS. I think people like to overly simplify people's enjoyment of a battle shounen series based on the hype of well animated fights.
Apr 9, 2023 5:45 AM

Jul 2016
Pit93 said:
Not a mecha anime. It's just giants wearing armor.
i stared at this worrying post for an undetermined amount of time...

/j i know what you're trying to say about evangelion, lol. i just thought this was hilarious by removing said context.
Apr 9, 2023 5:57 AM

Jul 2021
struggler_sensei said:
JaniSIr said:

I don't see how that's the case considering the popularity of Gundam, Eva, Gurren Lagan, and so on. Maybe it's just my age since I grew up in the 90s when mecha shows were everywhere. 
Also, what do you even mean anime in general doesn't do action well? Now, that is a spicy take.

Of course Gundam has its fans, otherwise they wouldn't be making them still but that's also a series you couldn't just recommend to an average anime fan. Code Geass, Eva and Gurren Lagan are rather exceptional in that they got mainstream appeal. I really like Code Geass too, but by the end the Mecha power scaling turned full BS...

And I mean exactly what I said.
What I'd expect from an action scene is power levels you can calculate with, tactics that'd actually work, and a focus on the details.
As a negative example here's this :

They have attacks powerful enough to smash the cave they fight in, but seem to do no damage to each other.
There's a lot of flashing lights an particle effects, but the characters are hidden by them. The cave is basically just an ad-hoc space that's always as big as the next move needs it to be.
And like there's the nakama power up BS, the endless talking between hits, the trope of characters moving so fast they can dodge bullets, but you also can't see them do the moves, so the animators just putting some blur there. Or like how the sword hits damage scale by the volume of the shouting...

But just to end on a positive note:

Historically accurate sword fitting is dope.
There's no real other YouTube video from this anime, since hardly anyone watched it, but here ye...
Apr 9, 2023 6:01 AM

Jul 2021
struggler_sensei said:
MasterTasuke said:

Anime does not do Storytelling especially well... but nether do the Japanese in general, from what i've seen of their Cinema to date...

now that is a very spicy take, especially when Monster and Berserk exist. And expanding the take to Japanese cinema is even spicier when Akira Kurosawa's films have been right there for anyone to see for decades.

Monster for the most part is just a poorly paced pretentious garbage. The one thing that's actually really good in that show is the love life of Eva Heinemann.
Apr 9, 2023 6:06 AM

Apr 2016
struggler_sensei said:
Pit93 said:

True, I always thought that AoT is more of a mecha anime than Eva because of that. XD
Apr 9, 2023 6:07 AM

May 2019
computer 3DCG anime isn't that bad.
Apr 9, 2023 6:12 AM

Jul 2021
Pit93 said:
struggler_sensei said:

True, I always thought that AoT is more of a mecha anime than Eva because of that. XD

AoT was at its best when it was still a survivor horror first, instead of trying to politicise.
Apr 9, 2023 6:23 AM

Apr 2016
JaniSIr said:
Pit93 said:

AoT was at its best when it was still a survivor horror first, instead of trying to politicise.

Agreed. Dropped the manga around chapter 90 to 100 and didn't even watch season 2 anymore. 😅
Apr 9, 2023 6:27 AM

Feb 2021
Rent a Girlfriend isn't as bad as people say it is

The Perfect Duo - has one who thinks and one who do's.
To have a party, there's at least two 

When the world is dark, and you feel near to end.
Just remember there's hope, in the form of a friend.

Apr 9, 2023 6:29 AM

Aug 2022
JaniSIr said:
struggler_sensei said:

Of course Gundam has its fans, otherwise they wouldn't be making them still  but that's also a series you couldn't just recommend to an average anime fan.  Code Geass, Eva and Gurren Lagan are rather exceptional in that they got mainstream appeal. I really like Code Geass too, but by the end the Mecha power scaling turned full BS...

And I mean exactly what I said.
What I'd expect from an action scene is power levels you can calculate with, tactics that'd actually work, and a focus on the details.
As a negative example here's this :

They have attacks powerful enough to smash the cave they fight in, but seem to do no damage to each other.
There's a lot of flashing lights an particle effects, but the characters are hidden by them. The cave is basically just an ad-hoc space that's always as big as the next move needs it to be.
And like there's the nakama power up BS, the endless talking between hits, the trope of characters moving so fast they can dodge bullets, but you also can't see them do the moves, so the animators just putting some blur there. Or like how the sword hits damage scale by the volume of the shouting...

But just to end on a positive note:

Historically accurate sword fitting is dope.
There's no real other YouTube video from this anime, since hardly anyone watched it, but here ye...
I mean mecha was pretty mainstream in the 90's and 00's, just cause it isn't as popular now as then doesn't make it bad though, definitely better than the bajillion isekai we get now.

And that a rather narrow view on anime action scenes that appears based on bs shonen bombastic action scenes, theres still plenty of action in anime that is done exceptionally well 
for example, Cowboy Bebop has great action

and also Ghost in the Shell has great action scenes

on your last comment,
realistic sword fighting barely ever happens in media since its not as exciting as what they put in films hence why they make it more stylized etc. Like if it was realistic duels would be over in seconds and wars would be a bunch people rolling around in the mud.
Apr 9, 2023 6:42 AM
Feb 2022
Pit93 said:
struggler_sensei said:

I think Eva specifically says they aren't mecha, given they're biological and sentient in nature.
Apr 9, 2023 6:44 AM

Aug 2022
JaniSIr said:
struggler_sensei said:

Monster for the most part is just a poorly paced pretentious garbage. The one thing that's actually really good in that show is the love life of Eva Heinemann.
So you don't like Monster, still leaves Berserk, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and others. And as I said before Akira Kurosawa films are a thing so you can't say the Japanese can't do storytelling. Still at least your take is spicy, wrong, but spicy non the less lol
Apr 9, 2023 7:31 AM

Nov 2021
konosuba is a mediocre, try-hard, unfunny glorified piece of media/comedy show that I've seen. Unfunny skits, and 'jokes'. An annoying main character that shouts/yells most of the time in almost all his dialogs, he shouts or yells. Is shouting/yelling really a comedy? Jeez. The mc depends so much on yelling and shouting. Uninteresting, and also annoying side characters. Handyman Saitou in Another World has far better comedy, characters, and art/visuals/animation.

Apr 9, 2023 7:33 AM

Jun 2008
Tournament arcs are mid and this includes the Dark Tournament.
Apr 9, 2023 7:33 AM

Feb 2018
struggler_sensei said:
MasterTasuke said:

now that is a very spicy take...

Well, i have rather adored Spicy Foods since right about my late-teens or so...
Apr 9, 2023 7:36 AM

Jul 2021
struggler_sensei said:
I mean mecha was pretty mainstream in the 90's and 00's, just cause it isn't as popular now as then doesn't make it bad though, definitely better than the bajillion isekai we get now.

There are also way too many coming of age stories in mecha. Like why the hell are they all employ teenagers to pilot weapons off mass destruction. Especially the angsty depressed crybaby type.

struggler_sensei said:
And that a rather narrow view on anime action scenes that appears based on bs shonen bombastic action scenes, theres still plenty of action in anime that is done exceptionally well 

I'll give you those two, and I could even list some more, but they are still in the minority.

struggler_sensei said:
realistic sword fighting barely ever happens in media since its not as exciting as what they put in films hence why they make it more stylized etc. Like if it was realistic duels would be over in seconds and wars would be a bunch people rolling around in the mud.

Of course it's going to be choreographed, but there is still a wide spectrum of how bad something can be.

struggler_sensei said:
So you don't like Monster, still leaves Berserk, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and others. And as I said before Akira Kurosawa films are a thing so you can't say the Japanese can't do storytelling. Still at least your take is spicy, wrong, but spicy non the less lol

You are not gonna like this : didn't like Gits either, it's kinda pretentious too
And I dropped both Berserk and Cowboy Bebop, and have no intention to actually watch Akira.
Apr 9, 2023 7:51 AM

Aug 2022
JaniSIr said:
There are also way too many coming of age stories in mecha. Like why the hell are they all employ teenagers to pilot weapons off mass destruction. Especially the angsty depressed crybaby type.
This just makes it sound like you have only seen Eva and no other mecha show.
JaniSIr said:
I'll give you those two, and I could even list some more, but they are still in the minority.
not really, there are plenty of anime with action scenes of that quality, It's all about what quality of shows and movies you are watching
JaniSIr said:
You are not gonna like this : didn't like Gits either, it's kinda pretentious too
And I dropped both Berserk and Cowboy Bebop, and have no intention to actually watch Akira.
I disagree with your pretentious claim but I won't get into that. And I mean dropping both Berserk and Cowboy Bebop just shows bad taste imho, but regardless there is still Paprika, and Perfect Blue which also show how anime can do amazing storytelling.

to clarify you do know I mean Akira Kurosawa the director of Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, and Rashomon, among other films, not the anime Akira right? just making sure.
Apr 9, 2023 7:59 AM

Jul 2021
struggler_sensei said:
JaniSIr said:
JaniSIr said:
not really, there are plenty of anime with action scenes of that quality, It's all about what quality of shows and movies you are watching
JaniSIr said:
I disagree with your pretentious claim but I won't get into that. And I mean dropping both Berserk and Cowboy Bebop just shows bad taste imho, but regardless there is still Paprika, and Perfect Blue which also show how anime can do amazing storytelling.

to clarify you do know I mean Akira Kurosawa the director of Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, and Rashomon, among other films, not the anime Akira right? just making sure.

I did not watch many mecha indeed, I could only find 1 with an adult cast, and even that pulled the child in a weapon of mass destruction cliché halfway through.

Anyway, I wasn't really trying to prove that anime can't do storytelling, just got annoyed that Monster was the example.

And nope, I have no idea who that is.
Apr 9, 2023 8:01 AM
Pirate King

Oct 2022
-vinland saga season 2 is mediocre. cringe drama with entry level philosophy with some of the most laughable character development.

-even though it's old... evangelion is still a pretentious zoomer trash.

-jojo is shit

-mecha are trash, including gundam.
Mugiwara_LuffyyApr 9, 2023 8:04 AM
Apr 9, 2023 8:16 AM

Aug 2022
JaniSIr said:
struggler_sensei said:

I did not watch many mecha indeed, I could only find 1 with an adult cast, and even that pulled the child in a weapon of mass destruction cliché halfway through.

Anyway, I wasn't really trying to prove that anime can't do storytelling, just got annoyed that Monster was the example.

I mean a lot of Gundam has an adult cast, and so does Macross, Gun x Blade, and Big O, just to name a few. I still maintain that Monster is peak storytelling also. 

Bruh Akira Kurosawa is one of the world's most renowned directors, he's right up there with Alfred Hitchcock, Luis Buñuel, Stanley Kubrick, and Ingmar Bergman. The state of media literacy 
nowadays is truly appalling. 
Apr 9, 2023 8:27 AM

Jul 2021
struggler_sensei said:
JaniSIr said:

I mean a lot of Gundam has an adult cast, and so does Macross, Gun x Blade, and Big O, just to name a few. I still maintain that Monster is peak storytelling also. 

Bruh Akira Kurosawa is one of the world's most renowned directors, he's right up there with Alfred Hitchcock, Luis Buñuel, Stanley Kubrick, and Ingmar Bergman. The state of media literacy 

Oh ye, I even started watching Macross, but the second episode was about a guy on a mech trying to stand straight. Lame.

And most renowned by whom exactly?
Apr 9, 2023 8:47 AM

Aug 2022
JaniSIr said:
struggler_sensei said:

Oh ye, I even started watching Macross, but the second episode was about a guy on a mech trying to stand straight. Lame.

And most renowned by whom exactly?
Renowned by the world my dude. Kurosawa is one of the most important and influential filmmakers in the history of cinema, go ahead and google "most important filmmakers in history" and you'll find Akira Kurosawa's name in any single list or article on the matter.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - Yesterday

30 by 345EdwardElric »»
4 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

640 by 345EdwardElric »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you think secondary rival is more interesting than main rival?

m_alhafidz - 1 hour ago

4 by Quadruple_Oi »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you think shoujo/josei romance are usually better than shounen/seinen romance ?

ZXEAN - 2 hours ago

21 by Zarutaku »»
19 minutes ago

» Overrated characters in the top 30? ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Jan 4, 2018

197 by 345EdwardElric »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.