Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 5, 2021 10:59 AM
Jul 2018
My list is pretty unconventional in how it's used, and even after I explain how it works to people they seem to be confused. My question is is it okay to use my list however I want because it's mine? Or should I conform to the standard intended way of using a MAL list so that people can understand it? Is it bad to use MAL in such an unintended way?

How my list differs:

- I use Season 1 of a show to represent the entire franchise / series
- I never Update Episodes seen, as you can't put 60 episodes into MHA season 1
- I often don't score shows, even if they're completed
- because of all of this, my shows completed and days seen are wildly lower than others. just think about how many more slots AoT or Jojo's would take up
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 5, 2021 11:08 AM

Jan 2020
You're free to do whatever you want, but I have a question. Do you do that to keep count of the entire anime (including all of their sequels) you have watched?

Many people don't rate their shows too.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Dec 5, 2021 11:16 AM

Nov 2021
sadfffg said:
You making this thread raises a couple of questions like are you lacking in intelligence in some kind of way, maybe there was not enough oxygen in your brain during birth or something?

You know, you don’t have to be so rude he just asked a question.
Dec 5, 2021 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
sadfffg said:
You making this thread raises a couple of questions like are you lacking in intelligence in some kind of way, maybe there was not enough oxygen in your brain during birth or something?

erm what part of the thread raises those questions? you could just say I'm wrong and say why
Dec 5, 2021 11:20 AM
Jul 2018
samashi20 said:
You're free to do whatever you want, but I have a question. Do you do that to keep count of the entire anime (including all of their sequels) you have watched?

Many people don't rate their shows too.

Kind of, it is a added benefit that I know how many shows and not seasons I've seen. I guess the real reason I do it is because I still have the mindset I do as a kid where Clone Wars or Phineas and Ferb were just one season that stopped and started airing at random times. I always like to look at the big picture when it comes to the media I consume.
Dec 5, 2021 11:23 AM

Nov 2021
It’s your list so if you are comfortable to use it this way is up to you. Is there any reason you choose not to add every season of anime in your list or clearly as you wrote just to have it more organised?

Maybe you could have a spoiler in your About me and write all the seasons/sequels of the anime you watched there so people will know that you have watched them even if you haven’t add them in your list.
Dec 5, 2021 11:28 AM
Jul 2018
OldLoser said:
It’s your list so if you are comfortable to use it this way is up to you. Is there any reason you choose not to add every season of anime in your list or clearly as you wrote just to have it more organised?

Maybe you could have a spoiler in your About me and write all the seasons/sequels of the anime you watched there so people will know that you have watched them even if you haven’t add them in your list.

hmm that's not such a bad idea, although I'm not sure how much it would help. People don't seem to check my profile when looking at my list all that often

I guess one of the reasons is I don't really care for the completionary mindset, and my views on seasons of a show generally don't vary that much. It just makes more sense for me to group them up, especially as I generally see the show as a whole anyways. There is no Code Geass season 1 without Code Geass season 2, etc
Dec 5, 2021 11:28 AM

Dec 2016
I'm using the On-hold list to gather all the "not so relevant" entries: non-canon movies from main titles // specials // short ovas // recaps // re-teller movies // music // any short content // etc. The purpose of this is to make the most important list -the completed one- as clean and neat as possible, so that it looks more pleasing to the eye.
Dec 5, 2021 11:32 AM
Jul 2018
SoldierDream said:
I'm using the On-hold list to gather all the "not so relevant" entries: non-canon movies from main titles // specials // short ovas // recaps // re-teller movies // music // any short content // etc. The purpose of this is to make the most important list -the completed one- as clean and neat as possible, so that it looks more pleasing to the eye.

hmm that's actually pretty nice. it is pretty odd sometimes to be going through someone's list and there's OVAs with bad looking art all over the place. I appreciate that
Dec 5, 2021 11:34 AM

Aug 2018
I am positive the tags column was not intended to be used for mini-reviews. But I went ahead and widened the area anyway for more room to type my thoughts after I complete something (or why I dropped it).

Once my completed numbers get higher, I imagine having those little blurbs might be helpful reminders. But I usually don't bother to write anything, too lazy.
Dec 5, 2021 11:37 AM

Aug 2018
SoldierDream said:

I never even add OVAs and such to my list for the same reason but maybe I'll steal your idea.
Dec 5, 2021 11:39 AM

Jul 2021
You can do whatever you want, but if you think you need to explain your method you may try to write short sentences in the 'tags" column of your list. e.g. "Apllies to seasons 1-5. 1st was great, 4th was terrible". The samashi20 guy on the post above does something like it.

And yeah, I also wish I could clump all seasons of a finished anime into one single entry.
Dec 5, 2021 11:39 AM

Jul 2017
Yeah, you can rate however you want, since it is your anime list at the end of the day. It’s just that most people will assume that your score is for season 1 of an anime series, rather than for the series as a whole. And no, I don’t think that it’s bad per se; most people probably wouldn’t care. Personally, I think it would be nice to have a “how I rate anime” section in your profile page, and that way people will know.
GinInYourJuiceDec 5, 2021 11:44 AM
Dec 5, 2021 12:00 PM

Sep 2020
Just do what feels right for you, it's your list after all. I use 'tags' to write short reviews and 'priority' to make a hierarchy of titles with the same rating, and I'm positive that's not what they were made for. We all have our little idiosyncrasies, and it would be boring to conform to a given standard.
Dec 5, 2021 12:09 PM
Jul 2018
elnino02 said:
Just do what feels right for you, it's your list after all. I use 'tags' to write short reviews and 'priority' to make a hierarchy of titles with the same rating, and I'm positive that's not what they were made for. We all have our little idiosyncrasies, and it would be boring to conform to a given standard.

the priority one is interesting, cause Clannad is always above Bunny Girl in my list even tho it should be the other way around. I doubt I'll actually implement it but it's a good idea, I definitely haven't heard of that before
Dec 5, 2021 12:11 PM
Jul 2018
4esthetics said:
Yeah, you can rate however you want, since it is your anime list at the end of the day. It’s just that most people will assume that your score is for season 1 of an anime series, rather than for the series as a whole. And no, I don’t think that it’s bad per se; most people probably wouldn’t care. Personally, I think it would be nice to have a “how I rate anime” section in your profile page, and that way people will know.

yeah, I should probably label it better cause that's actually what I do have on my profile ๐Ÿ’€. a lot of people don't seem to see it tho, I'll add an indicator and maybe reword it
Dec 5, 2021 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
As someone said before, the site is called MYAnimeList. So you can basically do whatever you want. Although your way of keeping track of shows would be difficult to implement for me personally. I'm not sure if you're doing it so you have an accurate count of the number of anime you've watched. But every user is strange in how they use the site. It's not a bad thing. I was a newbie to rating anime when I first started on here and have been frequently changing scores to the anime I've watched ever since.
Dec 5, 2021 12:19 PM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
I rate anything created by a criminal 1
If I drop a show mid-episode, I count that as an episode seen
I rate based on enjoyment
I use the tags to show my brief thoughts on the series
I favorite characters I like from games who happen to have been in an anime/manga, even though I haven't seen their anime/manga adaptations yet

I'm pretty sure none of those are how the site's meant to be used, but whatever. And I advise everyone keep using the site however is convenient for themselves :)
My greatest contribution to this website:
Dec 5, 2021 12:23 PM

Jul 2017
eli_shmeli said:
4esthetics said:

yeah, I should probably label it better cause that's actually what I do have on my profile ๐Ÿ’€. a lot of people don't seem to see it tho, I'll add an indicator and maybe reword it

Oh woops, I should’ve checked your profile earlier ๐Ÿ˜… My mistake. I think it actually looks good the way it is ๐Ÿ‘Œ
Dec 5, 2021 12:38 PM

Sep 2020
How is that unintended?
The actual use of mal is simply anime and manga tracking. I dont think it matters how you track it as long as you are comfortable with it
I am a useless student of society.
Tests are my body and Grades are my blood.
I have done over a thousand assignments.
Unseen by teachers,
nor done properly.
Yet, those hands shall never hold an outstanding grade.
So, as I pray...
Unlimited Homeworks.
Dec 5, 2021 12:39 PM

Apr 2021
As anyone who spends a lot of time in MAL threads knows, the user @Dragevard puts all his watched HÉÑTÀÎ in his “on hold” list.

This is much appreciated as it allows us to find good sauce quickly without having to scroll through a “completed” list
My poor signature was removed because it “took up too much space”
Dec 5, 2021 12:49 PM

Oct 2017
I don't know why you need strangers to validate how you use MAL. Personally I try to update everything I see because honestly I forget where I leave off at times and I score because I feel it encourages me to think about what I am watching. If you don't feel the need to do that cool.
Dec 5, 2021 1:52 PM

Apr 2020
Use your list however you like. Personally I like to make mine normally so it's comprehensible for other users.

Also why do you have so many animes dropped ? Is it also somekind of special category ?
Dec 5, 2021 4:37 PM
Jul 2018
SupChoco said:
Use your list however you like. Personally I like to make mine normally so it's comprehensible for other users.

Also why do you have so many animes dropped ? Is it also somekind of special category ?

my dropped anime list also includes shows that I've seen many seasons of but ultimately decided against finishing, such as DanMachi. However, a lot of it is simply because I like to give anime a chance but it takes a lot to get invested. Also, my friends are constantly giving me recommendations and I generally give those a try even if I don't think I'll like it.

so the simply answer is I drop a lot, and the fact that my Completed List is smaller due to only having series makes it look even larger
removed-userDec 5, 2021 4:56 PM
Dec 5, 2021 4:45 PM
Jul 2018
l--_--l said:
How is that unintended?
The actual use of mal is simply anime and manga tracking. I dont think it matters how you track it as long as you are comfortable with it

oh okay, so as long as I'm tracking anime then it's an intended use as the site is mainly just a database. I hadn't thought about it like that
Dec 5, 2021 4:48 PM

Sep 2008
sure you can do what you want, but doesn't it get confusing?
I use mal exactly because I can't keep track which episode I was on, if I watched an ova or missed it, and to find obscure entries. so yours seems to be the most inconvenient way to me.
้ฆฌ้นฟใ’ใŸๅ€ซ็†ใ€€ๅ…จ้ƒจใ‚ฌใƒฉใ‚ฏใ‚ฟใง
Dec 5, 2021 4:55 PM

Dec 2020
Good way of bro using MAL for your anime/manga tracking btw I do normally.

For your Information:

Dec 5, 2021 4:58 PM

Oct 2019
When I started on MAL, I used to do something similar, but in a more chaotic way.

When I found out about all the data that you can get trough MAL, I edited all of my entries, and now I'm using it as intended. The only thing I do differently is the use of my lists. My Watching is for shows that I'm following as they air, my On Hold is for shows that I'm watching but aren't airing, and my dropped is for lost media or just media that I failed to find.

But really, going back to your question, if you want to use a screwdriver to mix your coffee, and it gets the job done, you're free to do so. It works for you and doesn't bother anyone (except maybe those who care a lot about certain shows mean score, but I mean, they're kinda childish)
Dec 5, 2021 4:59 PM
Jul 2018
nyugvo6 said:
sure you can do what you want, but doesn't it get confusing?
I use mal exactly because I can't keep track which episode I was on, if I watched an ova or missed it, and to find obscure entries. so yours seems to be the most inconvenient way to me.

I just keep track of them in my head. It's the same with people who use bookmarks vs those who just flip about in the book for a few seconds and find their page. I know generally where I am in a series if it matters. Plus I rarely watch OVAs

maybe one of the best features of mine is that it is so small, so it's easier to look for something. plus being just one entry looks nicer
removed-userDec 5, 2021 5:07 PM
Dec 5, 2021 5:03 PM
Jul 2018
Benti_ said:
When I started on MAL, I used to do something similar, but in a more chaotic way.

When I found out about all the data that you can get trough MAL, I edited all of my entries, and now I'm using it as intended. The only thing I do differently is the use of my lists. My Watching is for shows that I'm following as they air, my On Hold is for shows that I'm watching but aren't airing, and my dropped is for lost media or just media that I failed to find.

But really, going back to your question, if you want to use a screwdriver to mix your coffee, and it gets the job done, you're free to do so. It works for you and doesn't bother anyone (except maybe those who care a lot about certain shows mean score, but I mean, they're kinda childish)

I used to do the On Hold thing, and it worked quite well, but I've since widdled down the shows I'm watching enough where it's no longer necessary. There are probably a few shows that could benefit from me putting them in a On Hold list instead of dropped, but if I have no idea when I'll get to them they just go into dropped until I "undrop" them
Dec 5, 2021 5:04 PM

Apr 2018
I'm curious why you don't simply use a site like graph.anime.plus to keep a rough tab of how many franchises you've seen.
Dec 5, 2021 5:08 PM

Oct 2019
eli_shmeli said:
Benti_ said:

I used to do the On Hold thing, and it worked quite well, but I've since widdled down the shows I'm watching enough where it's no longer necessary. There are probably a few shows that could benefit from me putting them in a On Hold list instead of dropped, but if I have no idea when I'll get to them they just go into dropped until I "undrop" them

Yeah, with your approach having shows on dropped makes more sense. That made me think, what do you do with shows that you have "completed" but are going to have another season or movie? Do you un-complete them till that airs, or do you just leave it as completed till the new thing drops?
Dec 5, 2021 5:10 PM
Jul 2018
Parataxicalis said:
I'm curious why you don't simply use a site like graph.anime.plus to keep a rough tab of how many franchises you've seen.

I actually don't care that much about the number of franchises, it's more for me how my MAL looks. Plus I can't remember the last time I finished a season of a show and said "eh, I'll finish the next one in a few months", so the seasons generally blend together anyways
Dec 5, 2021 5:12 PM

Feb 2020
I write stuff in Tags, so I guess I fit this also?
Dec 5, 2021 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
Benti_ said:
eli_shmeli said:

Yeah, with your approach having shows on dropped makes more sense. That made me think, what do you do with shows that you have "completed" but are going to have another season or movie? Do you un-complete them till that airs, or do you just leave it as completed till the new thing drops?

I add the new season to "plan to watch", but name them the same thing in tags so it's clear they are part of the same entry

when it airs the "plan to watch" new season entry gets deleted and the completed show turns to "watching". If I become uninvested in the new season the entry that was originally completed becomes "dropped", although this doesn't happen all that often
Dec 5, 2021 5:18 PM
Jul 2018
I mean, I don't know if "unintended" can really describe anything on this site when it comes to tracking what you've watched. There's not really a right or wrong way to track what you've watched on here anyways.
Dec 5, 2021 5:20 PM
Aug 2018
use myanimelist however you want, just don't piss off the mods
Dec 5, 2021 5:24 PM
Jul 2018
indrawn said:
use myanimelist however you want, just don't piss off the mods

the mods check my list
"AH HELL NAH, HE DROPPED GEASS, GET HIM OUTTA HERE"
Dec 5, 2021 5:49 PM

Apr 2018
eli_shmeli said:
Parataxicalis said:

I actually don't care that much about the number of franchises, it's more for me how my MAL looks. Plus I can't remember the last time I finished a season of a show and said "eh, I'll finish the next one in a few months", so the seasons generally blend together anyways

Very interesting. I can see why you'd use it that way.
Dec 5, 2021 5:54 PM

Jul 2021
ok how am i supposed to respond to this

Dec 5, 2021 5:54 PM

Jul 2021

Dec 5, 2021 6:01 PM
Jul 2018
_spoon_ said:

...however you want to respond to this?
Dec 5, 2021 9:55 PM
Jul 2018
BilboBaggins365 said:
I don't know why you need strangers to validate how you use MAL. Personally I try to update everything I see because honestly I forget where I leave off at times and I score because I feel it encourages me to think about what I am watching. If you don't feel the need to do that cool.

I never thought about thinking about anime in order to score it, maybe I should try that going forwards. I'm generally fairly critical but maybe if i look at it with intent to score I'll see exactly why I disliked something
Dec 5, 2021 10:07 PM
Jul 2018
Kii_Ibarra said:

I'm curious, how many animes or manga have fit this criteria? Also do you just find out later? And do you have any anime or manga that you consider bad enough to give a 1 even tho they aren't made by a criminal?
Dec 5, 2021 10:25 PM

May 2021
eli_shmeli said:
My list is pretty unconventional in how it's used, and even after I explain how it works to people they seem to be confused. My question is is it okay to use my list however I want because it's mine? Or should I conform to the standard intended way of using a MAL list so that people can understand it? Is it bad to use MAL in such an unintended way?

Yes you are free to use MAL or put your list in whatever you want. People might get confused because yours are not in the way of how people would normally put but for me, I just let them be.

eli_shmeli said:
How my list differs:

- I use Season 1 of a show to represent the entire franchise / series

And I second this because I do that too with Major in my favourites. Major season 1 starts with the MC still being a kid and he grows up in further seasons so season 1 definitely does not represent the anime as a whole since, MC is still a little kid.

I'm also having trouble at this at first so I decided to pick any season with a cool-looking cover, but then I determined myself and changed it back to putting Major S1 in my favourites.

Same goes to Gintama. Gintama S4 is the best season but no, I'm keeping the 1st season in my fave.

๐‘‡๐ผ๐‘ƒ๐‘† ๐ผ๐‘ ๐บ๐ผ๐‘๐‘‡๐ด๐‘€๐ด
- NOT your usual shounen anime
- Pure comedy? DEAD WRONG
- Treat Gintama as SoL/weekly sitcom especially earlier seasons
- Ep 1 & 2 are for manga readers
- BIG patience for its 'slow' start

Dec 6, 2021 2:18 AM
Jul 2018
I use the "1" score exclusively for "so bad it's good" anime.
Dec 6, 2021 2:31 AM

Jun 2021
I think its ok however you use it.

I even use my on hold list to put anime or manga that I'm gonna read/watch next, cus I have no use of it whatsoever, since I usually complete what I watch/read. (except for One Piece, its gonna be there for years lol)
Dec 6, 2021 2:54 AM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
eli_shmeli said:
I'm curious, how many animes or manga have fit this criteria? Also do you just find out later? And do you have any anime or manga that you consider bad enough to give a 1 even tho they aren't made by a criminal?
Sadly, most of the manga on my dropped list are written by criminals (mainly Ruroni Kenshin and all of its spin-offs). Thankfully, I haven't yet found an anime/manga that was originally created by a criminal that I already enjoyed before finding out about its creator

And yes, I have many anime and manga on my list that I've scored 1 or even 0 that weren't created by bad people, such as Pop Team Epic, for example :)
My greatest contribution to this website:
Dec 6, 2021 3:20 AM

Jul 2019
I use Season 1 of a show to represent the entire franchise / series
I do this for my favorites and I know I'm not the only one. But for the list itself this is surprising. But it's okay you do what you want of course but don't you get a lot of comments like "why are you criticizing random anime season 2 if you never watched it" or stuff like that since a lot of people don't read what's on the profile because it must be very tiring.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Dec 6, 2021 3:39 AM
Jul 2018
Kii_Ibarra said:
If I drop a show mid-episode, I count that as an episode seen
I rate based on enjoyment
I use the tags to show my brief thoughts on the series
I favorite characters I like from games who happen to have been in an anime/manga, even though I haven't seen their anime/manga adaptations yet

I'm pretty sure none of those are how the site's meant to be used, but whatever. And I advise everyone keep using the site however is convenient for themselves :)

I have a question about the criminal thing... would you do this for any type of crime? I mean CP is pretty awful but think about minor offences like breaking the speed limit or weed consumption.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How do you feel about the By Any Means Necessary drip jacket?

GinInYourJuice - 2 hours ago

2 by GinInYourJuice »»
8 minutes ago

» Visual Novels โ€” General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 27

85 by Z6890 »»
17 minutes ago

» Why do you dislike historical anime?

perseii - Jun 8

45 by mshfqtny »»
18 minutes ago

» WHat's an anime that would be great if a genderswapped version was made?

TheBlockernator - 2 hours ago

9 by Saputrai »»
22 minutes ago

» Filler arcs are not that bad, you're just too old and have access to the internet.

LenRea - Yesterday

24 by Nirinbo »»
31 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.