Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people want so much realism in Anime?

New
Aug 21, 2021 9:52 PM

Jul 2020
I don't get it. I'm seeing people complaining about Tokyo revengers how middle schoolers are running the cities isn't realistic and I'm seeing people hating Blue lock just because it's unrealistic. Bruh, isn't fiction supposed to be a form of escapism from the world? These type of people don't seem to understand the main difference between "Fiction" and "Reality".
It doesn't make sense at all. If every creator just start to rely on realism, then they wouldn't have any freedom or creativity in their writing and it would just make it dull and boring.
If people want "Realism" then they're better off watching Movies that are based on True story cuz you ain't gonna get any "Muh realism" in a fucking "Anime".
What do you think about this?

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 21, 2021 9:59 PM
Jul 2018
Probably the reason why they hate TR and BL is because of the popularity.
Aug 21, 2021 10:00 PM
Dec 2017
Agreed its entertainment and animation for christsakes.

Aug 21, 2021 10:02 PM

Dec 2020
They seek realism on type of anime that they hate.

For your Information:

Aug 21, 2021 10:03 PM

Dec 2016
Maybe because more realistic approaches to fiction are more relatable to the viewer and thus more valuable to them.
Aug 21, 2021 10:06 PM

Nov 2008
Rewatching Cowboy Bebop, I like that even this seinen remembers it's a cartoon sometimes.

Aug 21, 2021 10:09 PM

Jul 2020
@Ezekiel I don't think original anime have a proper demographic. It doesn't state if it is a shounen or seinen.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 21, 2021 10:09 PM
Mar 2018
There are some fiction shows that are realistic on many aspects and then switch to some unrealistic scenarios out of thin air, which really pisses me off.

There's also people that hate TR because it is really popular. I haven't watched any of those you mentioned but that might just be the cause, after all mainstream shows are bound to have haters
Aug 21, 2021 10:12 PM
Jul 2018
Because absurd anime logic ruins some shows.
Aug 21, 2021 10:15 PM

May 2015
Escapism can be served with an idealistic presentation of the world and almost every fiction and anime do that for the sake of entertainmet, even something that is realistic can be idelaistic. I don't expect some genres to be realistic (like shounen, fantasy f.e.), though if the anime or its fans try to sell it as a "serious" gritty adult product I would expect at least a realistic approach of the world from it. More serious face an anime shows more serious and harsh I get when I judge it.
Aug 21, 2021 10:15 PM

Jul 2021
It's not wrong to seek realism in fiction.
Scordolo said:
Isn't fiction supposed to be a form of escapism from the world?

Not always imo.
Aug 21, 2021 10:16 PM

Aug 2020
Because that's probably their only good reason to hate. They call some shows trash because they find it edgy and cringe but since its not a valid criticism, they go for underhanded criticism like this.
Aug 21, 2021 10:21 PM

Feb 2020
I don't know much about your examples, but from what I've heard TR has a lot of "power of friendship moments" and "other shounen tropes" (quoting here). That combined with middle schoolers running a city (lol) and time travel may require more suspension of disbelief that some people are capable of.
mazuchiAug 21, 2021 10:26 PM
Aug 21, 2021 10:23 PM

Aug 2019
for me realism isn’t a big factor when it comes to my enjoyment, but I can understand that if a show has too many things that are unrealistic it may be difficult for some people to watch it without those said things bugging them throughout the show
Aug 21, 2021 10:28 PM

Mar 2020
Scordolo said:
I don't get it.

the thing i never get is the people who want realistic stuff in fantasy isekai shows lmao
i can understand SOL shows or Sports shows but fantasy where magic or swords are everyday thing? LOL
Aug 21, 2021 10:37 PM

May 2019
Those who want "realism" despise freedom of creativity that's why.
And then there's those that can't even differentiate between "Fiction" & "Reality".
Loli hentai is hot.
Aug 21, 2021 10:37 PM

Sep 2008
realism can mean a lot of things. you need some for the suspension of disbelief. such as weight in animation.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Aug 21, 2021 10:38 PM

Nov 2020
I don't care if an anime is unrealistic, as long as there's logic based on the things in that particular world.
Aug 21, 2021 10:38 PM

Jul 2020
I feel like people saying that argument just want to say something negative about the show so that's the easiest thing they come up with. It's also the weakest and most pathetic critique.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 21, 2021 10:40 PM

Jan 2020
we're living in real life after all so I suppose it's something that crosses their mind. Personally I'm ok if it's a little unrealistic here and there

Aug 21, 2021 10:40 PM
Jul 2018
that's because you're not experienced enough in writing to know the difference between realism and believability, something can be believable while not being realistic, and when peopel criticize media for no being realistic, 9/10 times they mean not believable not unrealistic
Aug 21, 2021 10:43 PM

Oct 2017
Eh.... it's a fair criticism depending on the show. Some series are aiming to be more grounded so if it does something that breaks that grounded immersion it's a fair point. If it's a show like KLK I am just going to laugh at anyone expecting "realism from it". The important thing is internal world consistency lots of things don't make sense in our world that go on in fiction but it does need to make sense in the world or tone that is set by said piece of fiction.
Aug 21, 2021 10:45 PM

Aug 2020
It's not that wrong to seek realism in fiction cuz some people might just want to see the characters actually make logical decisions or act realistic instead of acting quirky while making decisions that don't make sense. They might just want to relate to the characters and their situations but sometimes people can get too far cuz they have to realize that not all shows are trying to achieve realism and instead trying to entertain the audience even if the story may seem too bizarre
Aug 21, 2021 10:46 PM

Nov 2019
I never want it that way. All I ever want are for the characters to be themselves, and the story to develop in the natural progression.

However, being completely illogical is a different matter.
SgtBateManAug 21, 2021 10:55 PM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Aug 21, 2021 10:51 PM

Apr 2020
SgtBaitMan said:
I never want it that way. All I ever want is for the characters to be themselves, and the story to develop in the natural progression.

However, being completely illogical is a different matter.

Agreed, there's a difference between realism and logic.
Aug 21, 2021 10:58 PM

May 2009
Scordolo said:
I don't get it. I'm seeing people complaining about Tokyo revengers how middle schoolers are running the cities isn't realistic and I'm seeing people hating Blue lock just because it's unrealistic. Bruh, isn't fiction supposed to be a form of escapism from the world? These type of people don't seem to understand the main difference between "Fiction" and "Reality".
It doesn't make sense at all. If every creator just start to rely on realism, then they wouldn't have any freedom or creativity in their writing and it would just make it dull and boring.
If people want "Realism" then they're better off watching Movies that are based on True story cuz you ain't gonna get any "Muh realism" in a fucking "Anime".
The kind of "realism" you're talking about -- the kind that'd generate the complaint "why are middle schoolers running the cities" -- isn't about the setting. It's not something solved by saying "go watch more movies", just because movies tend more often to feature realistic settings. But rather, it's about specific aspects of verisimilitude.

Of course fiction isn't the same as reality. But, let's say I take your favorite shows and manga, and replace all the characters with furry characters. Either you're a fan of furry art, or you'd likely be pretty mad at me. But, isn't it fiction anyway? Isn't fiction a form of escapism from the real world?

Clearly, there's something about the human characters that you understand differently than you'd understand, say, furry characters or whatever else I could replace them with.

Relatability is a common reason. Newer fans of Pokémon don't point out that Ash Ketchum is still ten years old, but the old ones who've seen pokémon for many years and have in this time themselves grown up in real life notice that their childhood hero has somehow escaped the passage of time.

I don't know Tokyo Revengers, but I know I've said a number of times that it doesn't make sense that anime has all these high-schoolers doing clearly adult things, including but not limited to displays of sexuality and violence. (It's particularly jarring when it's life-and-death situations that they're placed into on a daily basis.) I've pointed out that the shows can literally just change the canon ages of the characters (and maybe also say that those things that were high schools are now colleges) and suddenly this solves this oddity. (Oddly, some fans have gotten mad at a franchise that did just this, from what I've heard -- the Atelier series of games, specifically.) Why do I say this? Because I feel it doesn't make sense to me that these experiences are experienced by high-schoolers, based on my own experiences and my own perceptions regarding the kinds of people who would do these things.

Fiction isn't simply divorced from reality. Rather, it's a stretching of reality in certain directions. It stretches reality in ways that people want to see.

-Dreamer- said:
And then there's those that can't even differentiate between "Fiction" & "Reality".
Wanting realism doesn't mean despising freedom of creativity, any more than any comment saying what one wants to see in anime is.

It's just an expression of what one wants to see more of. There's some part of reality that that person wants to see more often reflected in the anime they watch. (Generally the comment doesn't mean they just want to see realistic settings.)

I mean, for example, if one person can say they want to see more huge boobs, it's only fair that someone else can say they want to see realistically plausible boobs.
GlennMagusHarveyAug 21, 2021 11:16 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 21, 2021 10:59 PM

Jul 2020
orion2 said:
that's because you're not experienced enough in writing to know the difference between realism and believability, something can be believable while not being realistic, and when peopel criticize media for no being realistic, 9/10 times they mean not believable not unrealistic

I see, thank you for the information. Sometimes, those users are so vague that it is hard to understand what they are even talking about.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 21, 2021 11:13 PM

Nov 2008
Scordolo said:
@Ezekiel I don't think original anime have a proper demographic. It doesn't state if it is a shounen or seinen.

If we're defining seinen as anime and manga made for young adults, Cowboy Bebop is seinen. It has several uses of the S-word and some graphic violence. It also shows two naked men lying in bed together. Oh, and drug use too.

Aug 21, 2021 11:19 PM

May 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Scordolo said:
The kind of "realism" you're talking about -- the kind that'd generate the complaint "why are middle schoolers running the cities" -- isn't about the setting. It's not something solved by saying "go watch more movies", just because movies tend more often to feature realistic settings. But rather, it's about specific aspects of verisimilitude.

Of course fiction isn't the same as reality. But, let's say I take your favorite shows and manga, and replace all the characters with furry characters. Either you're a fan of furry art, or you'd likely be pretty mad at me. But, isn't it fiction anyway? Isn't fiction a form of escapism from the real world?

Clearly, there's something about the human characters that you understand differently than you'd understand, say, furry characters or whatever else I could replace them with.

Relatability is a common reason. Newer fans of Pokémon don't point out that Ash Ketchum is still ten years old, but the old ones who've seen pokémon for many years and have in this time themselves grown up in real life notice that their childhood hero has somehow escaped the passage of time.

I don't know Tokyo Revengers, but I know I've said a number of times that it doesn't make sense that anime has all these high-schoolers doing clearly adult things, including but not limited to displays of sexuality and violence. I've pointed out that the shows can literally just change the canon ages of the characters (and maybe also say that those things that were high schools are now colleges) and suddenly this solves this oddity. (Oddly, some fans have gotten mad at a franchise that did just this, from what I've heard -- the Atelier series of games, specifically.) Why do I say this? Because I feel it doesn't make sense to me that these experiences are experienced by high-schoolers, based on my own experiences and my own perceptions regarding the kinds of people who would do these things.

Fiction isn't simply divorced from reality. Rather, it's a stretching of reality in certain directions. It stretches reality in ways that people want to see.

-Dreamer- said:
Wanting realism doesn't mean despising freedom of creativity, any more than any comment saying what one wants to see in anime is.

It's just an expression of what one wants to see more of. There's some part of reality that that person wants to see more often reflected in the anime they watch. (Generally the comment doesn't mean they just want to see realistic settings.)

I mean, for example, if one person can say they want to see more huge boobs, it's only fair that someone else can say they want to see realistically plausible boobs.

Yeah, I can understand that people want "some" realism, like being able to relate with the characters (which I like a lot) And there are genres like "Slice of Life" that I enjoy too.
But unrealistic shows are great as well, that is why imagination is a wonderful thing.
People can complain all they want but at the end of the day, every individual author has a right to make whatever they want.
Anime has everything for everybody :)
-DreamerQAug 21, 2021 11:22 PM
Loli hentai is hot.
Aug 21, 2021 11:25 PM

Aug 2020
Anything which gets popular, the numbers of toxic members increase dramatically. It happens all the time , it's common
Aug 21, 2021 11:28 PM

Oct 2018
There are so many things to complain about Tokyo Revengers that I would even waste my time on teenagers being the Godfather
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Aug 21, 2021 11:28 PM

Aug 2020
i don't have a problem with the anime being unrealistic ......but that doesn't apply to tokyo revengers, you see TR is set in the real world with no supernatural elements in it, so if it is set in real world it should be realistic but it's not,

having supernaatural elements in a show is oky as long as it follows the realistic limits set within the the show but that isn't the case with TR

as TR is set in real world it should follow a realistic approach
0__Raven__0Aug 21, 2021 11:31 PM
Aug 21, 2021 11:41 PM

Jan 2021
Bruh they're fucking middle-school students. that's what so fucking wrong about it. If it wasn't set in japan, I wouldn't complain. But guess what? The story is in Japan.
Aug 21, 2021 11:50 PM

Dec 2019
I've seen so many flaws and stupidity in Tokyo Revengers that kids basically being in the mafia doesn't bother me anymore.
Aug 21, 2021 11:50 PM
Jul 2018
People really complain about an anime being unrealistic? It's just a cartoon not reality
Aug 21, 2021 11:54 PM

Jul 2020
TokuchiToua123 said:
i don't have a problem with the anime being unrealistic ......but that doesn't apply to tokyo revengers, you see TR is set in the real world with no supernatural elements in it, so if it is set in real world it should be realistic but it's not,

having supernaatural elements in a show is oky as long as it follows the realistic limits set within the the show but that isn't the case with TR

So what you're trying to say is that Time travel isn't supernatural....ok.
kycnui said:
Bruh they're fucking middle-school students. that's what so fucking wrong about it. If it wasn't set in japan, I wouldn't complain. But guess what? The story is in Japan.

Do you know how the gang thing works in Japan?

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 21, 2021 11:57 PM

Aug 2020
Scordolo said:
TokuchiToua123 said:

no well that's a different thing, (actually i forgot about that) but still that's different you see, the charcters themselves do not have any type of superhuman strenght but still we see mikey taking out many guys bigger than him, and middle schoolers running cities have nothing to do with time travel
Aug 22, 2021 12:00 AM

Dec 2019
I just want to say blue lock is amazing lol great manga :)
Aug 22, 2021 12:02 AM

Aug 2020
Scordolo said:
TokuchiToua123 said:

kycnui said:

you should read "Worst" it is also about gangs, you'll know how highschool and middleschool gangs in japan work
Aug 22, 2021 12:05 AM

Jul 2020
TokuchiToua123 said:
Scordolo said:

you should read "Worst" it is also about gangs, you'll know how highschool and middleschool gangs in japan work

All right. I'll check it out later..

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 22, 2021 12:11 AM

Nov 2020
I agree but we can’t do anything to those people except ignoring them
Aug 22, 2021 12:16 AM

Aug 2020
Scordolo said:
TokuchiToua123 said:

yeah you should, and about TR, its not that i hate the show or anything, i was just saying that it is a bit riduculous, honestly i liked it
0__Raven__0Aug 22, 2021 12:21 AM
Aug 22, 2021 12:21 AM

Feb 2021
Realism is needed to understand the anime itself
Aug 22, 2021 12:23 AM
Jun 2017
Realism is important depending on the genre and setting. One with a grounded setting requires more realism for immersion to be maintained, whereas a fantasy or sci-fi series obviously doesn't require much realism due to their vastly different setting, resources, etc.

What's important for any genre or setting though is less so realism and more so internal consistency. In the example given by the OP for Tokyo Revengers, for instance, it is a problem if the city is ran by teenagers if a justifiable reason for this being the case as leaving aside realism, it simply doesn't make sense in general without a fleshed out reason. I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on if it has one or not, but the point still stands.

The idea that fiction by definition is meant to be escapism is also a flawed one as that's only one purpose for fiction, and sometimes a genre-dependant one. A more universal aspect of fiction would be to immerse the audience or to present and answer a question in the form of a story, neither of which can be properly attained if the story is completely lacking in internal logic.

The idea that realism would make a work more dull and boring is untrue as well. Leaving aside how boredom is very subjective, being able to work within the confines of realistic rules can help show the talents of a writer and their consistency. I could easily flip the response as well by saying that a complete lack of realism leads to a work being nonsensical and, therefore, poorly written.
Aug 22, 2021 12:23 AM

Jul 2020
TokuchiToua123 said:
Scordolo said:

yeah you should, and about TR, its not that i hate the show or anything, i was just saying that it is a bit riduculous, honestly i liked it

Yeah I read your other replies in that thread and know what you meant earlier. The thread wasn't aimed at you. I've seem many people complaining about the same thing.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 22, 2021 12:25 AM

Aug 2020
Scordolo said:
TokuchiToua123 said:

Yeah I read your other replies in that thread and know what you meant earlier. The thread wasn't aimed at you. I've seem many people complaining about the same thing.
i am glad that you understand what i meant
Aug 22, 2021 12:49 AM

Mar 2016
Self insert themselves or to sympathise with characters.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Aug 22, 2021 1:00 AM
Mar 2017
Scordolo said:
becoz u hvnt watched realistic anime yet,a good writer can write a fantasy series in realistic way,it depends on writer,i hv seen many supernatural series with realistic plot,i dont hate your so called TR becoz i hvnt watched yet and i will nvr watch ,becoz this show so childish for me now
Aug 22, 2021 1:19 AM
Jan 2021
Scordolo said:

"fiction supposed to be a form of escapism from the world?"

Actually, for me escapism will only work well if anime has realism.
Realism in context to maturity and consistent world building.
If anime seems way off from realism, then it will just seem weird out of place and non-immersive which i would have no interest in hence escapism becomes irrelevant here.
Aug 22, 2021 1:22 AM

Mar 2012
It all depends on the context, I'm fine with fantasy/magic/sci-fi elements being present in the story but it's a completely different question when the author writes illogical trash that makes no sense even in the context of the setting.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What Anime has the most genres & themes?

Zarutaku - Yesterday

7 by Zarutaku »»
9 seconds ago

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 7

126 by Animeinsight101 »»
5 minutes ago

» Is it still cool to hate moe? ( 1 2 3 )

Ahegyao - Mar 25, 2021

105 by Animeinsight101 »»
7 minutes ago

» What are your Anime Hot Takes ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

75 by Animeinsight101 »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character? ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Jun 3

74 by Catalano »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.