Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 3, 2021 12:18 PM
May 2018
It seems the Blue-ray is not selling well. Possible cancelation of future seasons?

Source: http://yaraon-blog.com/archives/197699
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 3, 2021 12:20 PM

Jan 2009
disc sales are irrelevant now for years for TV anime, what matters now is streaming profit especially international streaming profit like from China and USA
Jun 3, 2021 1:21 PM
Dec 2020
Ain't nobody gonna buy no blue ray in 2021 lmao.
Jun 3, 2021 1:27 PM
Dec 2007
From what I understand Blu-Ray sales dont matter as much as they used to. This also doesnt matter but it would be interesting though to see how Nagatoro compares to Uzaki though as far as sales go. I'd think they would have a fanbase overlap.
Jun 3, 2021 2:49 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Underated00 said:

I still buy blurays because I love physically owning my stuff, but I get what you mean since most people rely on streaming services nowadays.
Jun 3, 2021 2:50 PM
Dec 2017
Underated00 said:

I just purchased a bunch of dvds and blu rays lol.

Jun 3, 2021 2:52 PM
Dec 2020
Crow_Black said:
Underated00 said:

I just purchased a bunch of dvds and blu rays lol.
.... My bad bro.....
Jun 3, 2021 2:53 PM
Dec 2020
TheColonel76 said:
Underated00 said:

I still buy blurays because I love physically owning my stuff, but I get what you mean since most people rely on streaming services nowadays.
Nice to hear that you still buy blu rays my bad
Jun 3, 2021 2:57 PM
Apr 2021
Disc sales don't really matter much especially for a late night anime like nagatoro, the only metric that really will hold any weight is manga sales
Jun 3, 2021 6:22 PM

Oct 2017
They aren’t even announced in my country so there’s are no sales here
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jun 3, 2021 7:13 PM

Oct 2015
403 Forbidden error. Can somebody tell me the disc sales?
Jun 3, 2021 7:28 PM
Jul 2015
Well, let me tell you something. If Blu ray sales are bad that's a point against planning further seasons. Obviously, is not the only parameter. The licenses fees from TV broadcasting and streaming, merchandise sales also play and important role. The manga sales are not considered because the benefits go only to the original author and the publishing company. In anime, several companies are involved in an umbrella group called production committee. And if an anime doesn't make profits according to the business plan, further investments are likely to not go.
Jun 3, 2021 8:43 PM
May 2021
cedwino said:
The manga sales are not considered because the benefits go only to the original author and the publishing company.
The distribution and music company for Nagatoro is King Records. It's record company owned by Kodansha, so it might have some effect.
Jun 4, 2021 7:21 AM

Jul 2020
WHy
JSt Buy Shit You Don't Even Want to Watch

JSt Buy
AND A last Think to Add

JST BUY SHIT
Jun 4, 2021 7:46 AM
Jan 2018
Have A look at how much anime blue rays cost in Japan,
Jun 5, 2021 6:29 AM

May 2009
FUCKING HANDSHAKERS GOT SECOND SEASON DESPITE ABYSMAL DISC SALES - THEY ARE NO LONGER RELEVANT
Jun 6, 2021 2:52 PM

Oct 2020
Guys, Blu-ray sales aren't that relevant nowadays, but they're still the most important metrics to analyze wether an anime is receiving a 2nd season or not. If the blu-ray sales can't even "give back" the money that the productors invested on the show, wich is ~3000 blu-ray sales PER VOLUME, a sequel is more likely not to happen.
Read light novels!
2023 Update: Do NOT read light novels. Regular novels are better. Glory to Haruki Murakami!!!
Jun 8, 2021 6:04 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
disc sales are irrelevant now for years for TV anime, what matters now is streaming profit especially international streaming profit like from China and USA
Underated00 said:
GGcc78 said:
From what I understand Blu-Ray sales dont matter as much as they used to. This also doesnt matter but it would be interesting though to see how Nagatoro compares to Uzaki though as far as sales go. I'd think they would have a fanbase overlap.
FranticG1 said:
Disc sales don't really matter much especially for a late night anime like nagatoro, the only metric that really will hold any weight is manga sales
Lavszera said:
Guys, Blu-ray sales aren't that relevant nowadays, but they're still the most important metrics to analyze wether an anime is receiving a 2nd season or not. If the blu-ray sales can't even "give back" the money that the productors invested on the show, wich is ~3000 blu-ray sales PER VOLUME, a sequel is more likely not to happen.

This one thing westerners often misunderstand. But unlike the rest of the world, BDs are still HUGE in Japan. So it absolutely matters to the animation studios. This is why Japanese studios, push the sales for their BDs a lot. Whilst western studios don't really bother with that. To put this in a western perspective I guess. Imagine something like Apple which sells you a stand for a thousand dollars, despite it not being worth that much at all. Apple is a luxury product, they overprice their products and people still buy them. BDs in Japan is just a thing there, it may be overpriced and there may be better options like streaming services. But nonetheless people still buy BDs in Japan. It's how the studios make a large portion of their profits.
Subarashii
Jun 8, 2021 6:44 PM

Oct 2020
Avicebrons said:
deg said:
Underated00 said:
GGcc78 said:
FranticG1 said:
Lavszera said:

This one thing westerners often misunderstand. But unlike the rest of the world, BDs are still HUGE in Japan. So it absolutely matters to the animation studios. This is why Japanese studios, push the sales for their BDs a lot. Whilst western studios don't really bother with that. To put this in a western perspective I guess. Imagine something like Apple which sells you a stand for a thousand dollars, despite it not being worth that much at all. Apple is a luxury product, they overprice their products and people still buy them. BDs in Japan is just a thing there, it may be overpriced and there may be better options like streaming services. But nonetheless people still buy BDs in Japan. It's how the studios make a large portion of their profits.

By the way, the studios does not profit/loose money with the sales of the animes they produced. In fact, there are big companies/corporations who forms production committees to fund animes, and each company who helped funding a show receives a porcentage of the Blu-ray/DVD sales

The studios are only companies who animate shows, they're contracted by the production committee only to animate and, as I mentioned before, they does not profit/loose money when an anime goes bad in sales, unless they're investing their money on a show (basically making part of the committe)

Pleas search more about anime production committees on the web and read what other people wrote before saying shit
Read light novels!
2023 Update: Do NOT read light novels. Regular novels are better. Glory to Haruki Murakami!!!
Jun 8, 2021 7:10 PM

Jul 2019
Lavszera said:

By the way, the studios does not profit/loose money with the sales of the animes they produced. In fact, there are big companies/corporations who forms production committees to fund animes, and each company who helped funding a show receives a porcentage of the Blu-ray/DVD sales

The studios are only companies who animate shows, they're contracted by the production committee only to animate and, as I mentioned before, they does not profit/loose money when an anime goes bad in sales, unless they're investing their money on a show (basically making part of the committe)

Pleas search more about anime production committees on the web and read what other people wrote before saying shit

It seems like you absolutely misunderstood the point I made and yet you retorted back in a very unnecessary condescending tone. If you wanted me to elaborate then you could've just asked. Because when I said that it matters to the animation studios whether or not the BDs get good sales or not. And "It's how the studios make a large portion of their profits". This is not because it's a direct profit for them. But it's because this will as a consequence give them greater profit if they, for instance, sell enough to warrant another season. Basically it expands potential investment opportunities towards them. People don't want to fund studios that makes no profit to the committees. And thus the profit the studios make is based on them being funded by a committee which in turn is based on how well the BDs are selling. And thus it plays a large role in their profits as a result. Because what my comment was mainly focused on was the fact that BDs are still very big in Japan. And it matters a lot to the animation studios if they sell well.

I thought all of this would be fairly obvious to anyone that knows about the production committees (which you apparently claim to do) and so it would be excessive to say anything more than BDs equals profit, because anyone with knowledge about production committees would know what that implicitly means. But apparently not.
Subarashii
Jun 8, 2021 7:25 PM

Jul 2019

Yeah? I'm not saying anything about how it's declining and that streaming is starting to take over. What I am saying is that it's still huge. But yes, it is declining and it will obviously eventually become obsolete. But currently it's still a very big market in Japan, which may seem weird to westerners since it's basically a dead market in the west. That was my point. I'm not disagreeing with nor dismissing anything in this article.
Subarashii
Jun 8, 2021 7:27 PM

Jan 2009
Avicebrons said:

Yeah? I'm not saying anything about how it's declining and that streaming is starting to take over. What I am saying is that it's still huge. But yes, it is declining and it will obviously eventually become obsolete. But currently it's still a very big market in Japan, which may seem weird to westerners since it's basically a dead market in the west. That was my point. I'm not disagreeing with nor dismissing anything in this article.

low disc sales does not mean anything this days thats the point since streaming licenses is the main profit maker now for the anime industry especially in China
Jun 8, 2021 7:32 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
Avicebrons said:

low disc sales does not mean anything this days thats the point since streaming licenses is the main profit maker now for the anime industry especially in China

It still means quite a lot though. It's just that it doesn't mean as much as it used to. I'd say that's the key difference. BDs still contributes to a large portion of profit. Now let's just assume it was before 75%/25% for BD vs streaming. And now we can be excessive and say it's 25%/75%, 25% is still a large portion of profit. It's not like you can say 25% "does not mean anything".
Subarashii
Jun 8, 2021 7:36 PM

Jan 2009
Avicebrons said:
deg said:

It still means quite a lot though. It's just that it doesn't mean as much as it used to. I'd say that's the key difference. BDs still contributes to a large portion of profit. Now let's just assume it was before 75%/25% for BD vs streaming. And now we can be excessive and say it's 25%/75%, 25% is still a large portion of profit. It's not like you can say 25% "does not mean anything".

take for example One Punch Man average disc sales

One Punch Man - 10,522
One Punch Man Season 2 - 1,277

it did not even reach that Manabi Line which is 3000 disc sales to make a break-even profit and it certainly did not reach 25%
Jun 8, 2021 7:53 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
Avicebrons said:

One Punch Man - 10,522

it did not even reach that Manabi Line which is 3000 disc sales to make a break-even profit and it certainly did not reach 25%

I'm not sure what your point here is. Season 2 was received poorly and thus as a result it sold poorly as well. I mean pretty much everyone was trashing on season 2.
Subarashii
Jun 8, 2021 7:56 PM

Jan 2009
Avicebrons said:
deg said:

One Punch Man - 10,522

I'm not sure what your point here is. Season 2 was received poorly and thus as a result it sold poorly as well. I mean pretty much everyone was trashing on season 2.

criticism does not mean less popular, and im not talking about the west but japan disc sales here the tweet i link earlier said more than half of profit from One Punch Man season 2 is from international streaming licenses

disc sales on Japan is the only one that matters too if youre talking about disc sales
Jun 8, 2021 8:01 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
Avicebrons said:

criticism does not mean less popular, and im not talking about the west but japan disc sales here the tweet i link earlier said more than half of profit from One Punch Man season 2 is from international streaming licenses

disc sales on Japan is the only one that matters too if youre talking about disc sales

I never once said that criticism means less popular. That's just taking words out of thin air. I'm saying that since the reception was so poor for S2, of course it sold poorly as well. And with sales that poorly, it makes sense that basically any other source of revenue would beat it in profit.
Subarashii
Jun 8, 2021 8:03 PM

Jan 2009
Avicebrons said:
deg said:

I never once said that criticism means less popular. That's just taking words out of thin air. I'm saying that since the reception was so poor for S2, of course it sold poorly as well. And with sales that poorly, it makes sense that basically any other source of revenue would beat it in profit.

err One Punch Man is just 1 example of out of many

anyway if you still insist that Disc Sales are still the main profit maker and thus very relevant then sure i wont bother anymore
Jun 8, 2021 8:16 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
Avicebrons said:

err One Punch Man is just 1 example of out of many

anyway if you still insist that Disc Sales are still the main profit maker and thus very relevant then sure i wont bother anymore

I never once said they were the main profit maker. You seem to enjoy making up things I say apparently. It seems like everyone responding to my comment just absolutely misunderstood it. I said that BDs were still huge in Japan, which they still are. And that they made up a large portion of profit. Which they do. Large portion does not mean majority. 1/2 or even 1/4 is still considered a large portion of profit.

Yes BDs relevance are declining. And yes streaming is starting to take over. But none of this contradicts what I said.
Subarashii
Jun 8, 2021 8:19 PM

Jan 2009
Avicebrons said:
And that they made up a large portion of profit. Which they do. Large portion does not mean majority. 1/2 or even 1/4 is still considered a large portion of profit.

thats not large at all then if you mean 1/2 or even 1/4

obviously people will interpret large numbers as like the majority of overall profit
Jun 8, 2021 8:35 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
Avicebrons said:
And that they made up a large portion of profit. Which they do. Large portion does not mean majority. 1/2 or even 1/4 is still considered a large portion of profit.

obviously people will interpret large numbers as like the majority of overall profit

If they interpret it that way then it's their own fault for misunderstanding. Because "large portion" does not inherently mean "majority".

Large is an adjective describing something of relatively big in size. Keyword in that definition being relatively. Let's say you say you've saved money for your entire life. Let's say you saved up a million dollars. And then half or even a fourth of that money was stolen. It would still be logical to say that a large amount of money was stolen. Because it was, relatively speaking. Even if it's not the majority of money.

But either way, this is a pointless tangent, cause it's besides the point.
Subarashii
Jun 8, 2021 8:41 PM

Jan 2009
Avicebrons said:
deg said:

If they interpret it that way then it's their own fault for misunderstanding. Because "large portion" does not inherently mean "majority".

Large is an adjective describing something of relatively big in size. Keyword in that definition being relatively. Let's say you say you've saved money for your entire life. Let's say you saved up a million dollars. And then half or even a fourth of that money was stolen. It would still be logical to say that a large amount of money was stolen. Because it was, relatively speaking. Even if it's not the majority of money.

then you at least agree that disc sales are a small portion of the overall profit now a days? if you disagree then show any reliable source you have please
Jun 8, 2021 8:59 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
Avicebrons said:

then you at least agree that disc sales are a small portion of the overall profit now a days? if you disagree then show any reliable source you have please

Well no, if I thought they were a small portion I would've said small portion and not large portion. But just to be clear, when I say large portion I don't necessarily mean the majority. As for source, then sure, simply look up Pretty Derby Season 2 on Oricon (or just Google it and you'll find tons of articles about it). It sold ~170 000 units (even beating Neon Genesis Evangelion's record), grossing over a billion yen (~9.1 million dollars). This is an anime that finished airing only three months ago. Proving that disc sales are very much still a huge thing nowadays in terms of profit.
Subarashii
Jun 8, 2021 9:17 PM

Jan 2009
Avicebrons said:
deg said:

Well no, if I thought they were a small portion I would've said small portion and not large portion. But just to be clear, when I say large portion I don't necessarily mean the majority. As for source, then sure, simply look up Pretty Derby Season 2 on Oricon (or just Google it and you'll find tons of articles about it). It sold ~170 000 units (even beating Neon Genesis Evangelion's record), grossing over a billion yen (~9.1 million dollars). This is an anime that finished airing only three months ago. Proving that disc sales are very much still a huge thing nowadays in terms of profit.

170,000 units sold of a popular Gacha Game franchise with bonus codes inside the discs are as expected though and call that an outlier compared to many low disc sales over the years and counting
Jun 8, 2021 9:22 PM
Jul 2020
Manga sales are top notch .
Legit beating likes of mushoku tensei and slime in bookwalker.
So it will get a second season
Jun 8, 2021 9:27 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
Avicebrons said:

170,000 units sold of a popular Gacha Game franchise with bonus codes inside the discs are as expected though and call that an outlier compared to many low disc sales over the years and counting

I don't see why there's any relevance in how they sold so many units. BDs has almost always had some sort of incentive to buy them. That has always been a thing with BDs. Whether that be uncensored, art gallery, commentary, or in this case bonus codes. And again, it has no relevance, because no matter how they sell their BDs, it still proves that BDs are still big.

But alright, if you want to consider it an outlier. We can use another recent example. Like Jujutsu Kaisen, which sold ~30 000 units and also made around a billion yen in profit from that. And it finished airing roughly around the same time as Pretty Derby S2.
Subarashii
Jun 8, 2021 9:35 PM

Jan 2009
Avicebrons said:
deg said:

I don't see why there's any relevance in how they sold so many units. BDs has almost always had some sort of incentive to buy them. That has always been a thing with BDs. Whether that be uncensored, art gallery, commentary, or in this case bonus codes. And again, it has no relevance, because no matter how they sell their BDs, it still proves that BDs are still big.

But alright, if you want to consider it an outlier. We can use another recent example. Like Jujutsu Kaisen, which sold ~30 000 units and also made around a billion yen in profit from that. And it finished airing roughly around the same time as Pretty Derby S2.

how many outliers can you name though compared to how many poor disc sales of anime i can name like Index Season 3 that sold poorly too compared to its Season 2
Jun 8, 2021 9:37 PM

Nov 2019
Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear the discs only sold 1,810 copies in their first week.
Season two announced
https://www.monstersandcritics.com/anime/kuma-kuma-kuma-bear-season-2-release-date/
Jun 8, 2021 9:42 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
Avicebrons said:

how many outliers can you name though compared to how many poor disc sales of anime i can name like Index Season 3 that sold poorly too compared to its Season 2

Index S3 was considered by the majority to be extremely bad. And the worst season in Index. Why do you think it jumped from 7.6/10 in S2 all the way to 6.8/10 in S3. So I don't see how that's even remotely a good example. Of course it sold poorly.

And I don't understand you. You wanted me to give you a source for an example. I provided it. You dismissed it and said it was an outlier. I provide another example. And once again you dismiss it and go with it being an outlier. And now you're shifting the goalpost to be me having to provide "outliers" vs your examples of poor disc sales. Don't ask me to provide examples if you're just not gonna accept them. So no, I won't be providing anything more because what you're doing is pointless.
Subarashii
Jun 8, 2021 9:48 PM

Jan 2009
@Avicebrons

lol ok you give up because you cannot name anymore outliers

Food Wars too aka Shokugeki no Souma

it did not sold above 3000 disc sales in average on all of its 5 seasons of anime adaptation
https://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view

we can do this all day

add also My Hero Academia
Jun 8, 2021 9:48 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
Kralian said:
Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear the discs only sold 1,810 copies in their first week.
Season two announced
https://www.monstersandcritics.com/anime/kuma-kuma-kuma-bear-season-2-release-date/

@Avicebrons

it did not sold above 3000 disc sales in average on all of its 5 seasons of anime adaptation

we can do this all day

My god your examples are just so bad. And no, I'm not gonna continue. Because like I said, what you're doing is just idiotic. And you just seem like a poor loser at this point with you shifting the goalpoast.
Subarashii
Jun 8, 2021 9:49 PM

Jan 2009
Avicebrons said:
deg said:

@Avicebrons

we can do this all day

My god your examples are just so bad. And no, I'm not gonna continue. Because like I said, what you're doing is just idiotic. And you just seem like a poor loser at this point with you shifting the goalpoast.

prove to us that poor disc sales means no sequels then thats the whole point of this thread
Jun 8, 2021 9:53 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
Avicebrons said:

prove to us that poor disc sales means no sequels then thats the whole point of this thread

And this is the third time you have just pulled something out of thin air and acted like I said it. Really, it's like talking with an actual child. You are dismissive, you shift goalpost and you put words in people's mouths. I never once said that poor disc sales means no sequels. All I did was comment to people saying disc sales means nothing, when they actually do have a significance.
Subarashii
Jun 8, 2021 9:55 PM

Jan 2009
Avicebrons said:
deg said:

And this is the third time you have just pulled something out of thin air and acted like I said it. Really, it's like talking with an actual child. You are dismissive, you shift goalpost and you put words in people's mouths. I never once said that poor disc sales means no sequels. All I did was comment to people saying disc sales means nothing, when they actually do have a significance.

err ok youre off topic then
Jun 8, 2021 10:35 PM

Jul 2020
I don't think blu ray sales has anything to do with the possible future of the sequels.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jun 9, 2021 7:06 AM
Oct 2012
Don't do this don't give me hope
Jun 9, 2021 10:20 AM
Jun 2021
It is true that streaming service sale from non-Japan country is most important nowadays. It's up to you guys.
Jun 9, 2021 8:18 PM
Jun 2021
Once it his the english market for blu ray i'll buy it. The manga is still fire!
Jun 10, 2021 6:39 PM

Oct 2017
At 9,350 yen (about 90 dollars) per Bluray containing 3 episodes,... I'm not surprised it doesn't sell well.
That's 360 dollars if you want to own the entire series, no wonder the sales of Blurays are on the decline (and not only for this series) as we have more and more options to watch the show on streamingsites.

Talking about whether or not there will be a season 2? That will depend on how much the series will bring in from views on those streamingsites, not solely based on the Bluray sales.

Personally,... I love the anime (against my expectations tbh, I kinda dreaded it being adapted) but I wouldn't be terribly distraught if there wasn't a second season, we'll always have the manga... which is awesome enough on its own.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jun 26, 2021

274 by DarCas003 »»
Sep 11, 7:10 PM

Poll: » Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Pre_Yum - May 8, 2021

132 by Alejandro363 »»
Aug 22, 1:53 PM

Poll: » Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Pre_Yum - Apr 24, 2021

177 by Alejandro363 »»
Aug 22, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jun 12, 2021

138 by akashi_daiki »»
Aug 22, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2021

217 by Alejandro363 »»
Aug 15, 11:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.