Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 2, 2007 3:53 PM

May 2006
Episode one was broadcasted in webcast form on WOWOW-DMC's official site, of course that you need to register and it has the whole DRM protection crap (and maybe you have to be in Japan too, not sure), but something got out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bayfhf5Xq9s (you can find the rest yourself)

Warning: Contains lot of blood. I mean something along of Elfen Lied style, perhaps even a bit more moderate.

"I'll go crazy by the end of the year" - K Fu's comment while doing Proofs and Number Theory in Advanced Higher Maths
Jun 2, 2007 8:59 PM

Dec 2006
...Eh? @_@;

That was it...?
Jun 13, 2007 12:59 AM

Nov 2006
lol'd so hard at the subs from "-.-"
have never seen harder failure in my life.

thought the first ep was kinda lame, but the awful subs might have swayed me, i certainly hope some other group comes out with another ep1...bleh.
Jun 13, 2007 1:03 AM

Jun 2007
i was expecting more from it.
Jun 13, 2007 1:30 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Right, I only watched one third of this ep. Not only aren't they using proper english, they don't capitalize the I, there are typos in every third phrase and the video qualiy isn't good either. I hope another group will pick this up so I can complete this episode.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 13, 2007 6:58 PM

Mar 2007
Decent episode... was hard to get into it with -.-'s awful job... way too many typing and grammatica errors
---
Also, wtf is up with this
Jun 13, 2007 7:29 PM

Dec 2006
Aah. I didn't see the whole thing. xD;

It was...okay. I was expecting something more... exciting... And hoping the subs were better. *shiver*
Jun 13, 2007 7:51 PM

Apr 2007
Good thing I read this here before I dled.. guess I"ll wait for a decent subber on this one. :P
Jun 13, 2007 8:00 PM

Apr 2007
Horrible translation aside, this first episode is all style with no substance. Somewhere in the episode I began to lose interest because Dante's fights were all the same. Once a monster shows up he just kills it without breaking a sweat.

Also, this scene looks awfully familiar...

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 13, 2007 9:50 PM

Jan 2007
This first episode was a major let-down. Even without the painfully bad sub job it didn't live up to all the hype. I'm not familiar with the game and I was still excited about the series...not so much anymore.

It almost feels like a parody, like someone had the sense of "these are the things that are supposed to go into an anime" and tried to shove them all into one poorly executed episode.

tainteddonut said:
Also, this scene looks awfully familiar...

Agreed! Lame.
Jun 15, 2007 7:19 PM

Apr 2007
I didn't expect a lot so I thought it was ok.
The subs were... bad XD but I took Japanese in High School so I was ok with it.
Jun 15, 2007 11:20 PM

Feb 2007
What crap. I can live with bad subs but not bad anime. The fight scenes were repetitive and Dante is so lame beond belief. I'll wait for episode 2 before I make any last judgements on the series though.
Still though, more blood doesn not equal better anime.
Anti Loli Association Sick of Lolis? Come join the ALA!
Jun 17, 2007 11:50 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I just watched the Kuro-Hana & NEET sub and I didn't think it was that bad. o.O

It actually looked quite good and I wonder what ep 2 will be like.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 17, 2007 1:26 PM

Dec 2006
tainteddonut said it best; all style and no substance. If this is only going to be 12 Episodes, they did a horrible job starting off. This is definitely made only for fans of the game. If I didn't play the games i'd probably drop this anime right this instant. There is potential in it, but it needs way more development to go with. It just felt WAY too fast-paced and rushed.
リスト 。。

Jun 17, 2007 2:30 PM

Oct 2006
Zel said:
Decent episode... was hard to get into it with -.-'s awful job... way too many typing and grammatica errors
---

lol well NF does that w/ Y-M (currently subbing HA) though his TL from chinese is decent at least
i know that lots people don't like that stuff cos i guess it doesn't look "serious" but that makes me laugh xD
anyway that 1st ep was terrible and it's just a horrid hellsing (which is great though) rip off
it seems to me that it's more a promotional move from the prods for the upcoming DMC4 on PS3 than actually trying to make a good anime

Jun 17, 2007 2:42 PM
Apr 2007
cyruz said:

I just watched the kuro-hana/neet version and I really liked it.
Jun 17, 2007 2:44 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Yeah, it's pretty amazing how a proper sub can change the impression of an anime. But this was only the first episode, so we'll see.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 17, 2007 7:18 PM

Aug 2006
McWilson said:
cyruz said:

I just watched the kuro-hana/neet version and I really liked it.

Same here. I'm familiar with the game (to say the least) and I was worried that it might not be Devil May Cry but the gun x sword combos was signature Dante! I really liked the lightning effects too. This is definitely an anime geared towards the fans of the game. I really enjoyed this episode since I expected it to be all action since it's FREAKING DEVIL MAY CRY for crying out loud (pun intended :P) and not Pokemon or whatever other video game to animes there are!
Jun 18, 2007 7:05 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Kuro-Hana & NEET just released a v2. There's also an HD release by Anime Club Generation, their translations have many weak points but the video and sound quality is really good.

However, I'll stick with Kuro-Hana & NEET.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 18, 2007 12:07 PM

Mar 2007
cyruz said:

Dito. I would have to say it looks interesting & promising.

Dibs on Ishida!
Jun 18, 2007 1:17 PM

Jun 2007
Kopanda said:
What crap. I can live with bad subs but not bad anime. The fight scenes were repetitive and Dante is so lame beond belief. I'll wait for episode 2 before I make any last judgements on the series though.
Still though, more blood doesn not equal better anime.

My thoughts exactly...but if a series doesn't cling you by the first episode, then there really isn't a point to watching it in the first place.

Jun 18, 2007 4:27 PM

Apr 2007
*_____* the same studio who did Death Note *____* ZOMG This is going to be badass xD~~~

edit: hmm you guys seem to dislike it xD;; perhaps because you've been familiar with the series/games and so it's dissapointing. I've only heard of the series and seen a bit of the games. I dont know much about it. So it looks good so far in my opinion =D

Juuni Kokuki
"Romeo and Juliet was originally supposed to be a horror starring Tybalt"
Jun 18, 2007 7:26 PM

May 2007
I haven't played any of the Devil May Cry games but I know of the general background about the story and such and was really excited when I heard about the anime. After watching episode one, I hope they do a better job with plot development in this anime. The fight scenes were really cool, but again, repetitive. I felt like I was watching the same fight over and over again.

Push that aside, I don't know too much about Dante b/c I haven't played, but he looked pretty wicked.
Jun 19, 2007 1:22 AM

May 2007
I just watched a couple minutes of the Hard Gay sub version...Good God. I can't watch those crappy subs.

Downloading Kuro-Hana and NEET now >__>;

Edit: Much better. The plot was a little confusing, and I forget what happened in the game, so I'll reserve my opinion until the next episode.
katrakJun 19, 2007 2:48 AM
Jun 19, 2007 10:52 AM

Feb 2005
Seemed ok, but if I didn't already know it is based on the games, I would most probably accuse it for imitating Hellsing...At the very least, that badass "bite the gun" pose...
Other than that, I must say I am already hating the brat...WHY IS SHE THERE EH?
I never played the DMC games, but oh, I am pretty sure she weren't in those...
still, might be interesting...
Jun 19, 2007 7:54 PM

Nov 2006
looks good so far

Jun 21, 2007 4:42 AM

Jul 2006
It kinda sucked...

But then again, Video Game anime's haven't appealed to me since the awfulness of Disgaea. o_o
Jun 21, 2007 5:36 PM

May 2007
3 out of 5: It was OK

Well, what to expect from an anime based on a video-game, where the video-game consists of slaughtering things in badass-behavior..
The bests things was.. the slaughtering o.O No too big story you have do dive into.

But it's too early to drop this after the first ep. So I will watch some more episodes and then decide to watch the whole thing or not.
Jun 22, 2007 6:09 AM

Apr 2007
I thought it was good. It wasn't AWESOME like I thought it would be though.

I found Dante was too much like Spike and Alucard rolled together instead of the character he is in the games. The whole doing a job, getting no money, being in debt, and being no further ahead after a mission is just like what tends to happen in Cowboy bebop.

Dante is a loose character. He likes to sit back, relax, and have fun. I found this was missing in the anime (aside from the...strawberry sunday?).

Bottom line: Less Devil May Cry, More anime stereotypes of this genre.

Jun 23, 2007 12:25 AM

May 2007
Zel said:

That's the best part of the episode! The episode was... bleh...

It's Devil May Cry, so I'll watch it for what it is. I'm not expecting much and I'm just going to watch it. Patty is super cute though. Very moe. See, Dante knows moe when he sees it and he protects it. And he likes strawberry sundaes too!
Jun 23, 2007 5:56 AM
Feb 2007
Hm, I didn't find it that interesting. As someone else said, it's probably just another form of promo for the games. And if I want to watch either violent anime or anime with cute girls, I'd rather look elsewhere ^^;
Jun 23, 2007 9:42 AM

Jun 2007
uhm that little girl is not really cute rather annoying brat
i didnt like the fights either, too short and no details
Jun 23, 2007 9:44 AM

Nov 2004
Was a fine first ep, i have no knowledge about the DMC games so heh ^^
Jun 23, 2007 2:37 PM

Jul 2006
It was interesting, Dante looks hot xþ
I have never played DMC games so i dont know how well it is following the games or if it even supost to be following the games...xþ
Jun 24, 2007 1:09 AM

Oct 2006
My biggest gripe so far is that it doesn't live up to the hype. It was enjoyable, but certainly not spectacular. I was hoping for an intro on par with that of DMC 3.
Jun 24, 2007 9:03 AM

Apr 2007
I never played the games, but I still thought this was going to be awesome. But they just tried too hard to make Dante the unbeatable guy with a soft/silly side. And that little girl is really annoying. It really doesn't live up the hype.

Oh, and they need to stop making it look like the new Hellsing. It's annoying.
Jun 26, 2007 6:01 AM

Aug 2006
I've never played the games (of course)... but my eldest swears by them, and couldn't wait to see this. She, in turn, got me all excited to see this. So, I downloaded, and with great anticipation watched the first episode of what was sure to be (according to my child) an anime series of epic proportions.

Well... the episode ended... and... well...

meh....
Jun 26, 2007 6:50 AM

Jun 2007
Maybe I expected too much :\ the design is good, but I didn't find the plot so exciting..

Jun 28, 2007 3:16 PM

Jun 2007
Having Played 1 and 3, I thought they got the character of Dante right, you said that its like Spike, and it is, but its also what Dante was like in the game, a guy whos bored, poor and gets attacked by demons.

I imagine the fight scenes will get better once Dante finds someone interesting to fight rather than some crappy demons.

I also hated Hellsing, Alucard and Dante are kind of similar, but they are almost the same storywise anyway, demon/vampire killing their own kind with rather large pistols...

I'm looking forwards to the next episode.
Jun 28, 2007 4:28 PM

Jun 2007
What's up with the subbing.. alot of misspelled words, and a sub for a smile? lol.

It was alright I guess..

-Seigi-
Jun 28, 2007 11:00 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Aishiteruze said:
What's up with the subbing.. alot of misspelled words, and a sub for a smile? lol.

You probably picked one of the bad subs. I got an HD h264 sub by Kuro Hana & NEET and it's quite good.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 24, 2007 3:02 PM

Jun 2007
I really enjoyed looking at it. It looked like the rest of the series may be very promising. As for the subs I looked at the one that Kuro-Hana & NEET subbed and it was fine. Normal. Anyway I love Dante's character and can't wait to see the next episode.
Jun 28, 2009 8:48 PM

Jan 2009
I thought this was pretty cool. Dante is such a bad ass!
Sep 5, 2009 2:45 PM

Aug 2009
Lol, Dante was so cool. Nothing really interesting so far. This episode just shows you about Dante's job. :D
Dec 26, 2009 10:37 PM

Jul 2008
The reason why I like this show is probably because I haven't played the game. The animation is amazing. Interesting, will continue.
Jan 3, 2010 12:23 AM

Nov 2009
it was a lot better than i expected, actually.
very watchable in my opinion --then again, i'm huge on mecha and conspiracy type stuff, so go figure.
i'll happily watch for more Dante @w@
Mar 29, 2010 10:29 PM

Sep 2009
Animation was good.
But I could have sworn I put Devil May Cry into my DVD player, not Hellsing 2.....
Jun 23, 2010 9:42 PM

Oct 2008
I thought it was great, loved the action. :D
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jul 22, 2010 3:57 PM

Aug 2009
Anitnelav said:
I thought it was great, loved the action. :D

Yeah. It was one cool ep.
Jul 24, 2010 5:05 PM

Feb 2010
I saw the NEET version, thankfully. It was a little repetative, but I'm hoping it goes somewhere.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Devil May Cry Episode 4 Discussion

zippy - Feb 17, 2008

29 by Swiggy »»
Sep 2, 11:37 PM

Poll: » Devil May Cry Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

_edge_ - Sep 14, 2007

82 by JoshTheRi »»
Jul 31, 1:06 AM

Poll: » Devil May Cry Episode 9 Discussion

Sarcastic - Aug 19, 2007

21 by HazeShalom »»
Mar 5, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Devil May Cry Episode 3 Discussion

Lepchin - Jun 28, 2009

31 by Dj_Bus_Driver »»
Feb 12, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Devil May Cry Episode 8 Discussion

Sarcastic - Aug 18, 2007

28 by TarikKabir »»
Nov 18, 2023 10:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.