Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 18, 2019 9:35 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hibike! Euphonium ~Chikai no Finale~ came out today in Japan. I had the opportunity to talk with my friend in Hokkaido just now and she gave me a rundown of 'in her own words' a rather spectacular movie! The movie was little over an hour and forty five minutes and the first screening was at 10:10 AM JST. There were quite a few empty seats probably because of the early screening but there was visible optimism in those who were at the movies and the fans really loved it by the end of it! They all got lovely gifts at the movies and also had the opportunity to buy merchandises from the theatre premises!

What the fans had hoped for and what they got in the movie were worlds apart. It would not be as much for those who read the novel beforehand but for someone like her who tried to put the bits and pieces together from all the stuff floating on discussion boards, it was different! It had, however, the brilliant touches of the studio like it had in the TV anime adaptations.

There have been multiple cute/bittersweet moments between Kumiko and Shuuichi. It will be a rather pleasant movie for ShuKumi fans, but they can remain hopeful it will get better if sequels are made! Shuuichi got all the promotions before the movie and his role was quite befitting yet nothing spectacularly more than what we got from him in season 1. However, after this movie, no one can say that Shuuichi is irrelevant in Kumiko's life!

Ofc not captured from the theatre.

Although, Reina's moments were within the expectations of how things would turn out, they were still beautiful moments. She still possessed the mesmerizing aura about her. But she is now different. The two became closer than ever before. Kumiko certainly feels more at home when she is next to Reina! Those awkward moments from season 1 are long gone and they seem so natural when they are together that it will put smile on the faces of all of their fans. That's best friend forever for you!

But the one who stole the movie was Kanade. She had been the other protagonist of the movie. Not Reina nor Shuuichi. Although, they did have some memorable moments but they kind of paled in comparison to Kanade's and how her character grew with the progression of the movie in such a short span of time! Kumiko and Kanade had super profound moments and it was amazing to see Kumiko's growth as a person ever since she confronted Asuka-senpai. That's character development for you right there! And if Ishihara was not a fantastic director already, he leveled up in this movie and did an amazing job in showcasing Kumiko's growth in the presence of Kanade as she fulfilled the role of someone who is being looked up to and not as someone who looked up to others!

Queue in Asuka-senpai! Although, she had her role very limited. The big pluses of the movie are Natsuki-senpai and Yuuko-senpai. Yuuko-senpai has been really impressive! So, was Natsuki-senpai, although, that is already an established fact in the Hibike! fandom. And there are reasons to be happy for Natsuki-senpai. They remained one of the best duos of the franchise and I am sure they will be missed a lot by the fans. Hazuki and Midori had their lovely and curious moments to round it up for the returning characters! Nothing much of Mizore-senpai and Nozomi-senpai as they already had their moments in Liz to Aoi Tori.

The new characters were all pretty great! But they didn't have as much impact as Kanade. Of the new characters, Mirei, the tomboyish tall girl has the potential to become a spinoff heroine! Satsuki is also a fun addition and the boy Motomu has all the shota-tsundere traits in him that one may suddenly feel his character was included to attract more female viewers. Although Hibike! is almost equally popular amongst males and females in Japan, probably more females, if one followed the boards/twitter and it could be seen through the visible presence of female spectators in the theatre.

As for the results, it was what I had expected but now I want their third year to be animated like never before! Thinking carefully, it made sense because of how the club took shape after the end of season 2 with the departure of so many great members.

KyoAni didn't go up and beyond for the movie in terms of arts and animation but it was still the usual drop-dead gorgeous Hibike! tier animation with close to perfect voice acting, screenplay and directing. The uses of sound and music, though have been outstanding which could be truly experienced in a theatre environment! I could tell my friend jumping on the other side of the talk when she was describing how fantastic the sound experience was and she regretted not attending the screening of the previous two recap movies.

I voluntarily got spoiled quite a bit as I have been nagging my friend for for the longest possible time to share with me her experience in details for months now! I will probably have to wait until the BDs are available to experience it in full. If I had not been traveling to Seoul in the last couple of weeks, I would have probably gone to Japan just to see this movie!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 19, 2019 1:05 AM

Jun 2017
Great, roughly just half a year until the BDs come out...

*starts crying*

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
Apr 19, 2019 4:37 AM
Apr 2014
Had a notification this movie came out, had forgotten all about it! Still crazy to me that this series got so many adaptations.

From what I can gather, they kept it in line with what the two seasons of the anime were about, which is a sensible choice. Overall it's a nice series, but I didn't feel like it needed to explore much more than it had already.
thelumpurApr 19, 2019 7:27 AM
Apr 19, 2019 6:58 AM

Jan 2017
Got to admit, the thing I was worried the most about this movie was that Kumiko and Suichi "romance/relationship". It's not because I ship her with other characters....ok that's partly the reason, but mostly because I took the Animation's side over the novels and it just seemed they weren't really compatible and that Kumiko really doesn't need any kind of romantic relationship. However I am interested to see what kind of dynamic they will have.

Shame we aren't getting much more Asuka, without a doubt my favourite arc was between her and Kumiko in season 2. I like the sound of Kumiko now becoming a senpai for the next generation, I wonder how it will effect her character development. And yes while Liz and the Bluebird was my favourite thing to come from Hibike! Euphonium ever, it is a shame we won't be seeing much of Mizore and Nozomi still, but I was happy with their conclusion. That being said, I was completely blown away by how grounded and fantastical that film's animation was that I almost don't want to go back to the colourful and bold style of Euphonium.

Sadly there is no chance there will be a screening of this where I live, especially since Liz and the Bluebird never made it to the UK. Will just have to hold on for the Blu-ray. And so my watch begins.
Apr 19, 2019 7:20 AM

Nov 2007
thelumpur said:
From what I can gather, they kept it in line with what the two seasons of the anime were about, which is a sensible choice. Overall it's a nice series, but I didn't feel like it needed to explore much more than it had already.

The movie is a worthy addition to the franchise that gave further growth to Kumiko's character. Hibike! fans will love it.

KyoAni also changed several things in the movie in comparison to the novel. However, by doing so, they actually made Kumiko's character much more lovable compared to the novel. Therefore, I have to give props to KyoAni for doing that. 秀久美 actually happened just like in the novel but the roles were reversed. So, when she prioritized club activities later it didn't make her look a selfish person.
I just hope there are real fans who find the key elements in the movie those shaped Hibike! in to such a wonderful franchise.
Coronavirus.
Apr 20, 2019 8:52 AM

Apr 2012
@Kingsman117 If you believe Takeda-Sensei, he was almost the second character she came up with for the franchise, and it was he who was meant as a “counterweight” to Kumiko, similar to other friendships (or romance, as you wish) in the novel. This is one of the reasons why yuri bait annoys me in adaptation.

@shanimebib So, if I understood you correctly, the ships after the film remained in the same position, except that ShuKumi got more fuel?

Apr 20, 2019 10:41 AM

Nov 2007
RobertBobert said:
@shanimebib So, if I understood you correctly, the ships after the film remained in the same position, except that ShuKumi got more fuel?

You got it right. Half of it actually. Quote me at your own risk! Shuuichi manned-up and confessed to Kumiko and she turned into a cute red apple with sparks flying around her. Note that it was the other way around in the novel - the one who confessed was Kumiko. I am apologizing beforehand if it would make you disappointed but her reaction to and accepting his confession made it clear that she waited for him to confess to her all these times which means she has been in love with him, too.

Kumiko does many couple like things with Shuuichi like going to a festival-date with him, wearing a dress and tying her hair into a ponytail to look more mature during their date, holding hands with him, walking together with him on her way to Reina's place. But kissing was off limits as she was too embarrassed to take their relationship there when Shuuichi wanted to kiss her. Not wanting to kiss?! WTH is that, right?! It may seem super weird for westerners but it's not uncommon to feel embarrassed to kiss the person you love in Asian countries.

Kumiko also gets annoyed every time she sees a first year trombone girl trying to get close with Shuuichi. Of course, his actions would seem flirty to her despite of him being just nice to everyone. Man, the same reason why Hazuki fell for him. I guess it's one of his few down points. Reina notices Kumiko's annoyance and she goes on to hit Shuuichi with an empty soap bottle on the head before disappearing without him realizing who hit him. Reina formally joins ShuKumi ship showing her support to Kumiko's love and in the process sinks the KumiRei ship if it ever existed.

Eventually Kumiko puts her relationship with Shuuichi to an end by returning his gift and telling him that she wanted to focus on club activities. If anyone reading this starts rejoicing or getting dishearten - hold your breath. She continued and said if he felt the same way about her after they graduated, she would want him to return the gift back to her. The way it has been shown, she basically put her relationship with Shuuichi on hold and kept it open for them to be together once they graduated. It was also made into a bittersweet moment in the movie showing that even though they decided to stop being a couple they still loved each other.

Beyond the movie whether Shuuichi, who has been in love with Kumiko since they were kids, will feel the same way about her in a year from now will remain unknown until we get to the final volume of the novel which comes out next month. Like they say, you never know what the future holds.
Coronavirus.
Apr 20, 2019 10:50 AM

Apr 2012
@shanimebib On the contrary, it even motivates me, lol. Although to be honest, I expected the film to immediately resolve this issue completely.

How do you like new characters? I venture to suggest that the new guy did not show any interest in female characters, just like the new girls to him. I have not watched the movie yet, but judging about the promotional material, I personally liked the tall girl, this guy and Kanade the most. It seemed to me that they were the brightest.

"They remained one of the best duos of the franchise and I am sure they will be missed a lot by the fans".

Me too. There are no words to describe how their dynamics resembled the dynamics between me and my best friend, who simply adored teasing me. However, I do not know if someone ship us exactly the same as them, lol.
RobertBobertApr 20, 2019 10:54 AM
Apr 20, 2019 11:13 AM

Nov 2007
@RobertBobert

Kanade is the most important one in the movie out of all the first years that got introduced (just like in the novel). Mirei also had her moments (and quite important at it, which is why I said she has the potential to be spinoff heroine). Satsuki and Motomu not as much. The movie actually left out many things from the novel altogether. I really thought the movie would need to be at least two and a half hours in length to cover the whole of year 2. Guess I was right. It was the same reason why I wanted a full one cour TV adaptation.

I have not read the latest novel myself but the duo are listed as returning characters in the latest volume. But my guess is they will be extremely limited like what happened with Asuka-senpai once she graduated.

Btw, I would totally ship you with your friend. ;)
Coronavirus.
Apr 20, 2019 11:24 AM

Apr 2012
@shanimebib I finished school in 2007, so then few people thought about such things. However, recalling my class, I begin to understand more about Japanese love for adding a few shinyuu pairs to such anime. Adolescence, you know, lol.

Well, your report sounds pretty impressive, so I can't wait for myself to watch this movie. Honestly, I still haven’t been able to watch Liz completely, since I'm still waiting for the mood for the second season. So, this year will definitely pass for me under the flag of KyoAni and Eupho in particular.

What do you think, how much anime will they need to cover the rest of the franshise? Unless of course, the "final" in the title of the film doesn't mean the final of the whole adaptation.
RobertBobertApr 20, 2019 11:28 AM
Apr 20, 2019 6:33 PM

Jan 2017
RobertBobert said:
This is one of the reasons why yuri bait annoys me in adaptation.

I understand your point about Suichi, but I don't consider the female relationships in Hibike! Euphonium or Liz and the Bluebird as "yuri bait" even though I understand where you are coming from. While I agree Suichi is a very underused and underwhelming character compared to the novels, I actually prefer Kumiko's connections with Reina, Asuka and her other female classmates. And tbh, I consider the 2 mediums separate at this stage, and that's not a bad thing.
Apr 21, 2019 3:12 AM

Apr 2012
Kingsman117 said:
RobertBobert said:
This is one of the reasons why yuri bait annoys me in adaptation.

I understand your point about Suichi, but I don't consider the female relationships in Hibike! Euphonium or Liz and the Bluebird as "yuri bait" even though I understand where you are coming from. While I agree Suichi is a very underused and underwhelming character compared to the novels, I actually prefer Kumiko's connections with Reina, Asuka and her other female classmates. And tbh, I consider the 2 mediums separate at this stage, and that's not a bad thing.

If you mean that I hold any homophobic views, since I come from a very homophobic country, then you have a false impression. For many years I have been supporting the Russian LGBT community and would even have voted to legalize same-sex marriages if such a question were raised. I am a heterosexual man, but I'm perfectly fine with that.

But that is not the question. I appreciate how Yamada shows the female teenage experience and how subtly she understands the homoeroticism of the original material, but for me personally it just hurts to look at how Eupho plays on the yuri illusion to sell to the community. Of course, people have the right to ship who with who they want, but it also led to a bunch of people in fandom who are not concerned about anything in the franchise except shiping and potential "hot lesbians".
Apr 21, 2019 7:42 AM

Nov 2007
@RobertBobert I am pretty sure you have not quoted my post that read "Quote at your own risk" haha! It has more parts in it actually which would only reveal if someone 'Quoted' it!

Growing up is fun and all. I know it's been forever since I graduated school. I am already a working adult but Hibike! is an anime that made me revisit many moments in my life. I probably won't hesitate to tell my siblings that I love them just like Kumiko told Mamiko. I brawled my eyes out on the day of my graduation and hugged my buddies all night long as if I was about to part with my soul. I wouldn't hesitate to tell them that I loved them that night but we didn't need to spell it out loud as our tears spoke volumes of how we felt about one another.

I can also relate to the girls' relationship in Hibike! better than others probably because I am very closely tied to Asian culture/upbringing.

Anyways, coming back to the story, the franchise will probably not visit the following stuff anymore based on how the movie ended.

Imagine the first year novel getting over 10 hours of content while the second year getting little over 3 hours of content. Therefore, the third year must be made into a TV series of at least one cour.

Coronavirus.
Apr 21, 2019 12:18 PM

Jan 2017
RobertBobert said:
Kingsman117 said:

If you mean that I hold any homophobic views, since I come from a very homophobic country, then you have a false impression. For many years I have been supporting the Russian LGBT community and would even have voted to legalize same-sex marriages if such a question were raised. I am a heterosexual man, but I'm perfectly fine with that.

What are you talking about? I have no idea where you are from, nor do I think (and I never implied) you are homophobic. That was never in question and I have no idea why you felt the need to bring it up, you even said so yourself it wasn't the matter at hand. BUT since you did bring this all up, thank you for your support and I apologize for any offence I caused.

Now back to the matter, your point about Yamada was spot on, and I have to admit I think the film will be noticeably different without her. The part about the show playing on the yuri community, I have to agree the show walks that line very thinly, but I still wouldn't call out KyotoAnimation as deliberately baiting people with it. And tbh, what attracts me most about the show has little to do with shipping potential, for me it was always about personal journeys, character growth and music, with eccentric visuals to match. So I hope you do not consider me amongst these needy "hot lesbian" shippers.
Apr 21, 2019 12:23 PM

Jan 2017
shanimebib said:

Growing up is fun and all. I know it's been forever since I graduated school. I am already a working adult but Hibike! is an anime that made me revisit many moments in my life. I probably won't hesitate to tell my siblings that I love them just like Kumiko told Mamiko. I brawled my eyes out on the day of my graduation and hugged my buddies all night long as if I was about to part with my soul. I wouldn't hesitate to tell them that I loved them that night but we didn't need to spell it out loud as our tears spoke volumes of how we felt about one another.

Exactly the same moments that made me fall in love with the show, it's one of the reasons why I prefer the 2nd season to the 1st because of Kumiko's relationship with her sister and how that effects the way she see's Asuka. Kumiko's journey was one of the most poignant and yet wonderful aspects of the show and it's what a lot of anime's similar to Hibike! lack.
Apr 21, 2019 12:25 PM

Nov 2007
Kingsman117 said:
And tbh, what attracts me most about the show has little to do with shipping potential, for me it was always about personal journeys, character growth and music, with eccentric visuals to match.

Then you'll have exactly what you want in it!

Coronavirus.
Apr 21, 2019 3:34 PM

Apr 2012
Kingsman117 said:
RobertBobert said:

What are you talking about? I have no idea where you are from, nor do I think (and I never implied) you are homophobic. That was never in question and I have no idea why you felt the need to bring it up, you even said so yourself it wasn't the matter at hand. BUT since you did bring this all up, thank you for your support and I apologize for any offence I caused.

Now back to the matter, your point about Yamada was spot on, and I have to admit I think the film will be noticeably different without her. The part about the show playing on the yuri community, I have to agree the show walks that line very thinly, but I still wouldn't call out KyotoAnimation as deliberately baiting people with it. And tbh, what attracts me most about the show has little to do with shipping potential, for me it was always about personal journeys, character growth and music, with eccentric visuals to match. So I hope you do not consider me amongst these needy "hot lesbian" shippers.

As you yourself said, we do not know each other, so I can not say anything about your tastes. In any case, although I love being a snob, you have the right to enjoy the show as you see fit :) I apologize for the misunderstanding, I read your message as a hint at my country.

@shanimebib Well, I read what you wrote, but I thought that open quoting would be a huge spoiler: D But still glad that they found a reason to combine the original material and changes in adaptation.

Yeah, this is really an amazing and life show. It is difficult to describe how ashamed I was for my attitude to music after this series. It's one thing when you watch anime about football and suddenly begin to regret that you haven't become a football player, but it is another thing when the anime tells at least in part about the social group with which you were connected.

In any case, although my school life looked more like a WataMote, you know, Eupho and Tsurune really drive me into a longing for youth and lost or unnoticed opportunities.
Apr 30, 2019 8:16 PM

Nov 2007

Megami June 2019 Cover.
Coronavirus.
May 8, 2019 5:35 PM

Nov 2007
Franchise sales information:

Season 1 Discs: 10.9K 490 Million Yen
Season 2 Discs: 10.2K 420 Million Yen
Hibike! Euphonium: Kitauji Koukou Suisougaku-bu e Youkoso: 223 Million Yen (Japan Theatre only)
Hibike! Euphonium: Todoketai Melody: 134 Million Yen (Japan Theatre only)
Liz to Aoi Tori: 330 Million Yen (Japan Theatre Only)
Hibike! Euphonium: Chikai no Finale: 257 Million Yen (Japan Theatre only)

All these numbers pretty much warrant a sequel!

Coronavirus.
May 14, 2019 9:38 AM

Nov 2007

Real life Kumiko would have twintails! ❤
Coronavirus.
May 15, 2019 11:58 PM

Jun 2016
5 out of 5 even though I haven't watched it xD

I really can't wait AAAAAAA!!!
May 18, 2019 6:37 PM

Apr 2019
shanimebib said:

Real life Kumiko would have twintails! ❤

kawaii. but still in love with reina <3
MOE POWERRR !!!

May 24, 2019 7:02 AM
Aug 2018
shanimebib said:

Can you read japanese?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound!_Euphonium#Novels

From what I can see, the anime is based on a novel with currently 9 volumes, the last one that is listed on wiki came out in 2017. Only 1 is translated into english and it looks like there are no fantranslations either.
Although this seems to be outdated, since they only list 7 main and 2 spinoff novels.

On the japanese wiki there are more: 10 main and 2 "spinoffs"

Sound! Euphonium North Uji High School : 10
From 2013 - June 2019, but the last one doesn't have a ISBN listed. (Maybe since it isn't released yet.)

Google translate names the last listed one:
"Sound! Euphonium Kita Uji High School Band Club, the final movement of the determination Part II"

So this could be the end of the novel series.

Sound! Euphonium Series Tachibana High School : 2
Both from 2016

How much of the novels did they adapt with S1, S2 and the "finale" movie?

I would assume everything, since they went for a movie instead of season 3 and the movie has "finale" in it's title. But the novel seems to be still ongoing. Or the one that will be released in june will be the last one.

tr25a3May 24, 2019 7:06 AM
May 24, 2019 10:34 AM

Nov 2007
@tr25a3

The wiki link is missing three volumes.

There are 7 full story volumes and 2 short story volumes (Excluding Rikka novels where the MC is not Kumiko but Azusa, the girl from Rikka who was in Kumiko, Reina and Shuuichi's middle school.)

Kumiko's First Year:
Volume 1 "Welcome to the KitaUji Highschool Brass Band Club (KHBBC)" adapted to Season 1 in "KyoAni-way"
Volumes 2 "KHBBC's Hottest Summer" and 3 "KHBBC's Greatest Crisis" adapted to Season 2 in "KyoAni-way"

Volume 4 "KHBBC's Secret Stories" is a collection of short stories.

Kumiko's Second Year:
Volume 5 "KHBCC, Turbulent Second Movement* First Part" and mainly Volume 6 "Second Part" adapted to Liz to Aoi Tori from Mizore's POV in "KyoAni-way"
Volume 5 and 6 adapted to Chikai no Finale while putting Nozomi/Mizore story happening behind the scenes in "KyoAni-way".

Volume 7 "KHBBC's True Stories" is a collection of short stories.

Kumiko's Third Year: (Not Adapted)
Volume 8 "KHBBC's Resolute Final Movement First Part". Recently released with focus on a new transferee from SeiJo
Volume 9 "Second Part". Scheduled to be released next month.

*it's a musical term. More info: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movement_(music)

I hope it helps.
Coronavirus.
May 24, 2019 2:19 PM

Nov 2007
shanimebib said:
Franchise sales information:

Season 1 Discs: 10.9K 490 Million Yen
Season 2 Discs: 10.2K 420 Million Yen
Hibike! Euphonium: Kitauji Koukou Suisougaku-bu e Youkoso: 223 Million Yen (Japan Theatre only)
Hibike! Euphonium: Todoketai Melody: 134 Million Yen (Japan Theatre only)
Liz to Aoi Tori: 330 Million Yen (Japan Theatre Only)
Hibike! Euphonium: Chikai no Finale: 298 Million Yen (Japan Theatre only)

Updated in Red. Also, I read back in season one on KyoAni's immaculate detail of the instruments was part of the sponsorship deal with Yamaha which actually topped the production expenses for KyoAni.

These numbers are also impressive because Takarajima gave KyoAni the freedom of expanding their content after the boost of novel sales since season one adaptation and improved the profit share. So, while the IP is not with KyoAni, the gratuity right KyoAni obtained is much closer to their original anime or work based on KA light novels.
Coronavirus.
May 24, 2019 5:40 PM

Nov 2007
Expanding on my previous comments: Takarajima officially confirmed that "KHBBC's Resolute Final Movement First Part" has been sold out in popular stores and they had to go to a largescale reprint to meet the demands.

It also confirmed that "KHBBC's Resolute Final Movement Second Part" will hit the bookstores on June 22, 2019.

Liz to Aoi Tori also resurfaced in Oricon disc sales chart last week (Note that I only put Japanese theatre only evalution for the movies excluding discs sold, merchandises sold and international screenings). The franchise has long surpassed 1 billion Yen (roughly 10 million dollars) even before Chikai no Finale. But the movie helped boosting novel sales so overall it has been a very successful project. Don't believe what haters say in reddit or anywhere else. You may know which users I am referring to.

Coronavirus.
May 28, 2019 9:33 AM

Jul 2012
Was able to watch it during my trip to Japan in Cinema Sunshine Ikebukuro. Gotta say the pricing in Japanese cinemas is very interesting with how was the condition of the cinema itself, might be this one in particular.
About the movie, i liked it, but it felt like a summary of another possible season. While i understand another season would've been pretty much the same thing and mb that's why so much stuff was just left off as repeating stuff.
Understood pretty much all the stuff, but some moments were a bit hard. The reason of Kumiko and Shuichi breaking up was that moment. I mean it was pretty obvious that she chose the club over their relationship (while i assume the further relationship for them is still going to happen), so their failure on this note looks very dissapointing or unsatisfying. The obvious assumption is that previous 3rd years were league above current band.
Obv you want them to win and they can't always win, but just the film then feels strange in general and Yuuko's speech.
The drama felt like a continuation of problem for choosing upperclassmen. Didn't feel that much impact and still think that even with repeating stuff this would've been better being another season.
And well Kumiko being new president was the most obvious thing =/
Also bought some stuff in KyoAni shop =/ Most Kumiko stuff was sold out =(
May 28, 2019 10:01 AM

Nov 2007
@allenjke: It was not an actual break up but more like a hiatus. She clearly said if he still wanted to be with her after their club activities had come to an end in their final year, she would like him to return her hairpin to her, which Shuuichi agrees amicably by saying he felt the same because he acknowledged Kumiko's wanting to give her all for music, which holds true for himself as well. However, their distance won't grow because of this though as what is not covered in the movie; the fact that:

-->Shuuichi gets selected as the VP of the band and will work closer with her than ever before to win the Gold in the Nationals that eluded them so far. And for the first time since Volume 1 (excluding the short stories' cover) he appears on a proper cover: in the latest volume cover.

Also, the one who helps Kumiko to try sort her feelings for Shuuichi in the novel is Reina. She wants to support Kumiko's feelings the same way Kumiko vowed to support Reina's for Taki-sensei. Anyone who followed the Roke! Euphonium series would realize that ShuKumi will be the eventual end game.

Not to mention, it is Japan's, but most importantly, the author's favourite couple as well.
<--
Coronavirus.
May 28, 2019 10:10 AM

Jul 2012
@shanimebib kinda sad that movie doesn't cover this stuff, and as much as i love this series i definitely expected more from this movie.
Forgot to mention Taki sensei's role was non-existent in the movie. And i think Reina's role was very small this time.
May 28, 2019 10:51 AM

Nov 2007
@allenjke: The same amount of content of the novel was made into a whole single cour second season. Of course the movie will look short/abridged and a lot of things would go uncovered so I see where you are coming from.

Certain fans also try to downplay Shuuichi's existence but the truth is before episode 9 of season 1, he had the most number of interactions with Kumiko. I can actually count them for anyone who would like to know. Reina's interactions are basically from the last half of episode 8 of season 1 to the first episode of season 2 before the story moved to first Mizore/Nozomi and then to Asuka/Kumiko/Mamiko with a single episode dedicated to Reina in between the entire second season (also to revisit the fact that she wanted to be with Taki-sensei). Yeah, Shuuichi did literally become a background character in the first half of the second season with only appearing literally in the background of Kumiko's practice sessions. But he still earned some points with her by staying close to her in the haunted house when she was scared, his wanting to help with the whole Mamiko situation, which was very important to Kumiko and the hairpin gift, all of which Kumiko appreciated.

Compare it with Reina's important moments in the second season: losing her mind over Niiyama-sensei's rumour surrounding Taki-sensei, asking Taki-sensei about his deceased wife, her first meeting with Taki-sensei and the talk she had with him during her middle school year, being reassured by Kumiko that she would get Kumiko's support no matter what in her feelings for Taki-sensei, visiting his wife's grave with Kumiko and confessing to him not once but twice and getting shot down on both occasions.

Anyone's gonna tell me that Reina's gonna suddenly and miraculously gonna become Kumiko's lover gotta convince me to watch a third rate monday night sappy tv drama first.

Coronavirus.
May 28, 2019 9:10 PM
May 2019
shanimebib said:
@tr25a3

The wiki link is missing three volumes.

There are 7 full story volumes and 2 short story volumes (Excluding Rikka novels where the MC is not Kumiko but Azusa, the girl from Rikka who was in Kumiko, Reina and Shuuichi's middle school.)

Kumiko's First Year:
Volume 1 "Welcome to the KitaUji Highschool Brass Band Club (KHBBC)" adapted to Season 1 in "KyoAni-way"
Volumes 2 "KHBBC's Hottest Summer" and 3 "KHBBC's Greatest Crisis" adapted to Season 2 in "KyoAni-way"

Volume 4 "KHBBC's Secret Stories" is a collection of short stories.

Kumiko's Second Year:
Volume 5 "KHBCC, Turbulent Second Movement* First Part" and mainly Volume 6 "Second Part" adapted to Liz to Aoi Tori from Mizore's POV in "KyoAni-way"
Volume 5 and 6 adapted to Chikai no Finale while putting Nozomi/Mizore story happening behind the scenes in "KyoAni-way".

Volume 7 "KHBBC's True Stories" is a collection of short stories.

Kumiko's Third Year: (Not Adapted)
Volume 8 "KHBBC's Resolute Final Movement First Part". Recently released with focus on a new transferee from SeiJo
Volume 9 "Second Part". Scheduled to be released next month.

*it's a musical term. More info: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movement_(music)

I hope it helps.

Lol at "Kyoani way". Is that a passive-aggressive way to describe Yamada Naoko's yuribaits?
kevcheMay 28, 2019 9:18 PM
May 29, 2019 9:21 AM

Nov 2007
Here's a beautiful poster for all of you! Pick your Bride!

I pick Kumiko. <3
Coronavirus.
Jul 4, 2019 4:34 AM

Apr 2015
I have no Idea where can I watch this movie. Is it available in Crunchyroll?
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Jul 4, 2019 5:36 AM
Mar 2016
Debasky said:
I have no Idea where can I watch this movie. Is it available in Crunchyroll?

film in partnership with Fathom Events on July 11 (English subtitles) and on July 15 (English dub). Tickets are on sale now.
Jul 11, 2019 4:02 PM

Jun 2007
At the theater, showing it by satellite feed...buuut it has no audio, lol.
Jul 11, 2019 7:03 PM

Dec 2014
Just saw it at my local theatre.

Was a really good movie, I feel like this deserved an anime adaptation or at least two movies. I kinda wish it was longer, it felt like they kinda blazed past the entire second year of their school life because they had to fit it to time limit, this is especially true because they wanted to introduce so many new characters. Should've been another entire anime season or at least two movies if you ask me. Nevertheless a really nice movie.

I was super happy to see Reina again. <3 <3
Honestly, I loved all her screentime, I wish she had more scenes cause every scene with her was just fantastic. Honestly, the only thing I really wanted but didn't get in this movie, was to see Reina in a Yukata again for the festival but hey at least we got swimsuit. XD
The scene where she throws that water bottle at Shuuichi made me laugh. I kinda loved how she was more reactive to Shuuichi and Kumiko's relationship that Kumiko herself was. xD
As always, the Reina and Kumiko moments together are always the best. Really love how natural they are around each other.

Loved all the Kumiko and Shuuichi moments, I was surprised they decided to break off going out with each other until they graduated. It was a real nice show of resolve from the both of them but the opening of the movie with Shuuichi confessing to her was pure gold and put a real smile on my face.

I really liked all the new freshman that were introduced, Kanade kinda stood out immediately because of her cheeky attitude. I loved the first half of the movie where we were getting introduced to everyone and the band was coming together. Lot of energy there, I felt the drama needed more time to be fleshed out to be really effective, Kanade's was well done but the others were a little rushed but they weren't bad though. I would have loved to see more training and practice, probably had to be cut because of time limits but I would've enjoyed seeing more camp.

Sapphire-chan being her usual cheery self is always a pleasure to watch, Motomu-kun got good taste. XD

I loved the moment where Kumiko points out how that moment in middle school where she didn't cry after getting the consolation prize but Reina next to her bawling her eyes out was what made her so passionate about the Euphonium.
The performance was stunning, I was thoroughly engrossed. Mizore's part was especially fantastic. I was really sad that they didn't make it to the nationals but I guess that's what we have S3 for now. Club President Kumiko is gonna lead us to victory at the nationals!

8/10, I hope we get a release date for S3 soon.

Reina is mine. <3
Jul 11, 2019 7:23 PM

May 2016
this had so much good content but it was just so rushed... I'm a bit sad at how much the new cast was diluted and how the old cast was juggled. Overall I enjoyed the movie but I really hope they stick to longer seasons.

Jul 11, 2019 8:03 PM

May 2014
It was great, like the series. I agree it was a bit rushed so I am glad we are getting another season to follow this up
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Jul 11, 2019 9:05 PM

May 2014
I saw it at an AMC today. You cannot trust those idiots to get it right. You'll either end up getting a dub instead of a sub or your movie will encounter serious technical errors (no audio, or previews start cutting into the middle of the movie).

So if you are going to see it at one of their locations, proceed at your own risk.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Jul 12, 2019 8:13 AM

Jun 2007
DeicideV said:
I saw it at an AMC today. You cannot trust those idiots to get it right. You'll either end up getting a dub instead of a sub or your movie will encounter serious technical errors (no audio, or previews start cutting into the middle of the movie).

So if you are going to see it at one of their locations, proceed at your own risk.

There were a lot of issues at the Cinemark I went to (broken audio which required moving the movie to a different theater, first 20 minutes near constant video disruptions, blue or red noise/artifact on the screen the whole time) so there might have been an issue with the satellite feed.
Jul 12, 2019 3:29 PM
Mar 2015
I thought the movie was great. My only issues were that they packed 2 seasons of the Second year into a 1 hour and 45 minute movie. Like the Succhi/Kum moments. Kanade really helped Kumiko show her growth. Glad they had that seen at the end. Can hardly wait for the start of 3rd year
Jul 15, 2019 9:53 PM
Nov 2018
came back from dub showing, dub voices were pretty good except for a few exceptions (shuuichi is the first that comes in my mind).

overall it was an okay movie, wasn't feeling all the side plots and conflicts with the freshman. it felt flat to me. didn't even realize shuuichi and kumiko were a thing until they broke up lol. there were some cool parts, like the girl with the two hearts on her head. i don't like her design, but her quitting was kinda emotional, i can relate.

positives for me were the entire liz and the blue bird performance and the references to that movie, mizore 360 shot, asuka and co., all the fan service, and most importantly, my favorite side character being in some shots during the performance, ribbon bass drum girl!

i definitely would rewatch with the japanese voices to compare which i like better.
Aug 27, 2019 6:36 AM

Nov 2007
Heavy spoiler for the second volume of final year novel: Only click if you want to know.

Related Topic:

Schools used in famous Kyoto Animation work mourn arson victims

KYOTO – High schools that provided inspiration and locations for Kyoto Animation Co.'s popular anime series "Sound! Euphonium" are mourning the victims of the arson attack on the studio that left 35 dead and dozens injured.

The anime series centers around the brass band club at the fictional Kitauji High School, which is striving for success in a national contest. The club's practice room is modeled after the music room at Higashiuji Senior High School in Uji, where Kyoto Animation's head office is located.

Scene from Hibike! Euphonium

Kyoto Animation staff members visited the brass band club at the school in 2014, the year before the anime series was first broadcast on television.

Kyoto Animation staff gathered information about the club and the school for about three days. They took photos of the music room and its surroundings and measured the sizes of euphoniums and other instruments used by club members, according to Kazuo Kondo, the teacher in charge of the club.

"They observed and took note of every movement of club members' fingers and lips," Kondo said. Kingo Iida, Higashiuji high school's deputy principal, said he was impressed by the meticulous process which "paid attention even to a slight scratch on a desk."

Kondo and the club members gathered to watch the completed anime when it was sent to them by the studio. "They reacted with cheers, and one band member said 'it's me!'" Kondo recalled.

Scene from Liz to Aoi Tori

The anime was faithful in its depictions of the emotions of club members as they worked on their skills, Kondo said. "I was moved by the studio staffers' commitment," he said, adding he sometimes tells club members to remember scenes in the show to help them play their instruments better.

The July 18 arson attack on Kyoto Animation's studio in Fushimi -- in which Shinji Aoba, a resident of Saitama, near Tokyo, splashed and ignited gasoline inside the three-story building -- was "a great shock," Kondo said. "It depressed me greatly. It was just too much."

At the time of the blaze, however, a Kyoto prefectural band contest was fast approaching and the club members had to ensure they maintained their focus despite the tragedy.

"We must do what we have to do," Kondo told the budding musicians, and the club went on to win the Aug. 6 contest.

The main gate and buildings of the animated school were based on those of Todoh Senior High School in Uji. The school was visited by studio staff in 2017 and 2018, and Masanori Sakon, then deputy principal at the school, said he remembers them working earnestly at their craft.

"They stayed at the school for three or four hours, taking photos with an omnidirectional camera. They tried to record every water drop from a faucet," Sakon said. "When I watched the anime, scenes at the school were just like real photos."

Todoh Senior High School, with approval from Kyoto Animation, has used some scenes in the anime for its enrollment brochure. "We are so proud and thankful that our school was used as a model in the anime," Sakon said. "Kyoto Animation works are loved by so many people. It's so sad that the fact has been driven home by the horrible attack."

The Kyoto Shimbun - Aug 20, 2019 - 08:00 | All, Arts, Japan

Originally shared here: Kyoto Animation and What You can Do as an Anime Fan.
Coronavirus.
Oct 6, 2019 11:31 PM
May 2019
Hmmm
Oct 18, 2019 1:50 AM
Mar 2016
shanimebib said:
Heavy spoiler for the second volume of final year novel: Only click if you want to know.

Related Topic:

Schools used in famous Kyoto Animation work mourn arson victims

KYOTO – High schools that provided inspiration and locations for Kyoto Animation Co.'s popular anime series "Sound! Euphonium" are mourning the victims of the arson attack on the studio that left 35 dead and dozens injured.

The anime series centers around the brass band club at the fictional Kitauji High School, which is striving for success in a national contest. The club's practice room is modeled after the music room at Higashiuji Senior High School in Uji, where Kyoto Animation's head office is located.

Kyoto Animation staff members visited the brass band club at the school in 2014, the year before the anime series was first broadcast on television.

Kyoto Animation staff gathered information about the club and the school for about three days. They took photos of the music room and its surroundings and measured the sizes of euphoniums and other instruments used by club members, according to Kazuo Kondo, the teacher in charge of the club.

"They observed and took note of every movement of club members' fingers and lips," Kondo said. Kingo Iida, Higashiuji high school's deputy principal, said he was impressed by the meticulous process which "paid attention even to a slight scratch on a desk."

Kondo and the club members gathered to watch the completed anime when it was sent to them by the studio. "They reacted with cheers, and one band member said 'it's me!'" Kondo recalled.

Scene from Liz to Aoi Tori

The anime was faithful in its depictions of the emotions of club members as they worked on their skills, Kondo said. "I was moved by the studio staffers' commitment," he said, adding he sometimes tells club members to remember scenes in the show to help them play their instruments better.

The July 18 arson attack on Kyoto Animation's studio in Fushimi -- in which Shinji Aoba, a resident of Saitama, near Tokyo, splashed and ignited gasoline inside the three-story building -- was "a great shock," Kondo said. "It depressed me greatly. It was just too much."

At the time of the blaze, however, a Kyoto prefectural band contest was fast approaching and the club members had to ensure they maintained their focus despite the tragedy.

"We must do what we have to do," Kondo told the budding musicians, and the club went on to win the Aug. 6 contest.

The main gate and buildings of the animated school were based on those of Todoh Senior High School in Uji. The school was visited by studio staff in 2017 and 2018, and Masanori Sakon, then deputy principal at the school, said he remembers them working earnestly at their craft.

"They stayed at the school for three or four hours, taking photos with an omnidirectional camera. They tried to record every water drop from a faucet," Sakon said. "When I watched the anime, scenes at the school were just like real photos."

Todoh Senior High School, with approval from Kyoto Animation, has used some scenes in the anime for its enrollment brochure. "We are so proud and thankful that our school was used as a model in the anime," Sakon said. "Kyoto Animation works are loved by so many people. It's so sad that the fact has been driven home by the horrible attack."

The Kyoto Shimbun - Aug 20, 2019 - 08:00 | All, Arts, Japan

Originally shared here: Kyoto Animation and What You can Do as an Anime Fan.

So they both got married?? That's nice ❤
Oct 27, 2019 7:32 PM

Nov 2007
@Kirito_Alsufi

Coronavirus.
Jan 19, 2020 8:59 PM

Feb 2018
Congratulations Ouma Kumiko for being the club leader.
Jan 20, 2020 8:06 AM

Sep 2015
People who think Kumiko ended with Shuuichi in the anime: delusionals.

I'm glad they did this way. The guy don't have balls to even face Reina during two whole seasons. Not whort.
Jan 20, 2020 9:11 AM
Mar 2016
shiro_kai said:

I'm glad they did this way. The guy don't have balls to even face Reina during two whole seasons. Not whort.

They started dating in the novel. In the final two books which cover their third year, Kumiko becomes the club president and they put off their relationship temporarily because she wants to focus on the responsibilities as the president. Shuuichi becomes the vice president and supports her throughout this entire time. Kumiko tells Shuuichi that she loves him AGAIN and resume their relationship at the end after winning gold at the national competition.

Since when it was love triangle while Renia is in love with Taki sensei?
Jan 20, 2020 11:00 AM

Sep 2015
Kirito_Alsufi said:
shiro_kai said:

They started dating in the novel. In the final two books which cover their third year, Kumiko becomes the club president and they put off their relationship temporarily because she wants to focus on the responsibilities as the president. Shuuichi becomes the vice president and supports her throughout this entire time. Kumiko tells Shuuichi that she loves him AGAIN and resume their relationship at the end after winning gold at the national competition.

Since when it was love triangle while Renia is in love with Taki sensei?

The fuck, how you understood that? Anyways, thats the LN version. Not the anime.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Turning Hibike! Euphonium into a film was a mistake, especially for the future

CickNipolla - Jul 12, 2022

13 by GreatAide »»
May 4, 4:27 AM

» Does Kumiko actually romantically like Asuka?

OugiRevolution - Mar 1, 2020

9 by realivanjx »»
Apr 24, 9:05 AM

» Kumiko x Reina ?

removed-user - Jan 23, 2022

7 by saikyozero »»
Apr 15, 12:55 PM

» Anyone else feel a certain trombone player needs more love? ( 1 2 )

shanimebib - Feb 8, 2019

64 by Marsen-P »»
Feb 13, 2:39 PM

» question about this

MeganeKun_ - Jun 13, 2022

12 by WiskleGEX »»
Jun 13, 2022 11:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.