Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 5, 2010 6:16 PM
Dec 2009
My hardest game that I have ever played was Touhou 8 and I failed on "normal" difficulty.
See for yourself:

Note that that was extreme difficulty but the only difference is that in normal the attacks are not as long or as much but is still insane to follow.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 5, 2010 6:18 PM

Apr 2008
I wanna be the Guy

Feb 5, 2010 6:31 PM

Oct 2008
Super Kaizo World, that game puts hair on your chest.
Feb 5, 2010 6:43 PM

Feb 2008
Touhou isn't really difficult, it just requires a lot of memorization. If you know the spell card, it's usually pretty easy to survive or capture it. Of course, your reaction time and movements have to be sharp too.
Feb 5, 2010 9:53 PM

Oct 2007
Aside from stuff like "I Wanna Be the Guy" and other masochistic games that you can download on your PC, some of the hardest games that I have played include:

Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES- which is basically a direct port of all 3 NES Ninja Gaiden games, so you could count those as well)

Ghouls and Ghosts/Goblins series

Various Mega Man games

Battletoads (NES)

And as for games from the current generation, the hardest one that I have played is Ninja Gaiden II on the Path of the Master Ninja difficulty setting (only the XBOX360 version of the game, though), though its not quite as hard as the old-school games that I listed, and those games aren't as hard as stuff like IWBTG and Super Kaizo World (but personally I find those games to be hard to the point of being just plane unfun to play through).
Feb 5, 2010 10:03 PM

Oct 2008
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

After entering the Labyrinth of Amala, there is no save points. Aside from that, it is impossible to recover HP or SP. All demons cannot be recruited and will attack upon encounter. It is also futile to escape as that random encounters occur very often. However, it is also entirely possible to gain an indefinite amount of experience points and macca.
Feb 6, 2010 4:17 AM

Apr 2009
For me it'd have to be Terry Pratchett's Discworld 2
Simply because you have to look inside that guy's (terry's) head to figure out where to go next, and since in his head the world is flat, lies on the back of 4 giant elephants, who on their turn are standing on the back of a giant star-turtle named the great A'Tuin...this could pose a problem.
But as hard as the game may be, it's also as funny as it is hard.

- Lith.
Feb 6, 2010 4:20 AM

Apr 2008
Super Mario Frustration, the nes mario hack

Feb 6, 2010 4:39 AM

Jul 2007
Starcraft
Feb 6, 2010 5:26 AM

Jun 2009
The original (PS2 anyways. When I think about it, I actually don't know if there were entries to the series prior to that one that simply never made their way stateside.) Monster Hunter was pretty aggravating. The enemy AI was actually decent, and the relatively difficult control scheme didn't really help. It was also unbelievably fun. But god damn if that wasn't one of the hardest games in that niche I've ever played.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Feb 6, 2010 6:19 AM

Feb 2005
Silver Surfer :/
Feb 6, 2010 6:31 AM

Jun 2008
Baman said:
Silver Surfer :/
rofl, I think I saw this on gametrailers I think with that angry nerd guy raging about this game.

Well, I don't really like games that could be the "hardest", so I generally ignore them. And dodging color dots isn't my idea of fun either, which seems to be the most popular genre for hardest games.
Feb 6, 2010 6:43 AM

Nov 2007
I wanna be the Guy.
And many other games that were meant to be pretty much impossible to play... though the scary thing is that there are people who actually do manage to perfectly clear even such games as IWBTG. 0_0

apart from those crazy ones, the hardest ever (normal) game I played should definitely be Sonic Unleashed.
the normal difficulty (well there isn't any option anyways) is so frickin hard... made me wanna throw the controller away.-_-;;
but somehow did manage to finish it :P

kimatg on | blog | pixiv | deviantART
Feb 6, 2010 9:19 AM

Jun 2008
Gun Smoke back on the NES and Arcades. I still can't beat that game even to this day!
Feb 6, 2010 3:39 PM

Oct 2007
kimatg said:
I wanna be the Guy.
And many other games that were meant to be pretty much impossible to play... though the scary thing is that there are people who actually do manage to perfectly clear even such games as IWBTG. 0_0

The thing about IWBTG's difficulty is that its what I'd like to call a "death-trap" game. Every new room you go to will be jam-packed with death-traps, but the locations of where those traps spring up will never change, so essentially mastering the difficulty of this game comes down to pure memorization. Its not even very twitch-based in which you are expected to have dead-fast reflexes. Basically, once a player perfectly memorizes a room, they can get through it without a second thought. To most people, including myself, that's not fun enough to put up with the challenge, but for those who make going through the game look easy, its most likely because they spent countless and tedious hours playing the game non-stop and memorizing every singe death-trap it has to throw at them in every single room in the game. Once you get to that point, the challenge of the game is practically non-existent, since you know and can expect exactly what will happen and when it will happen and consequentially be able to avoid all of the death-traps with ease.
Feb 6, 2010 4:23 PM

Mar 2009
For RPGs, Dragon Warrior 7

For non-RPGs, Ikaruga

I can't even get past this level on Easy mode and it's the third level! And some people will control both ships at the same time, one with each hand on hard mode:

*my bad, this is normal mode, not hard mode, but equally impressive
Feb 6, 2010 6:42 PM

Jan 2008
Anything Ninja Gaiden. So many countless frustrating hours playing games from this series. Most recently of Ninja Gaiden 2. Nearly broke my TV out of frustration playing that game.
Feb 7, 2010 9:32 PM

Oct 2007
Master13Major said:
Anything Ninja Gaiden. So many countless frustrating hours playing games from this series. Most recently of Ninja Gaiden 2. Nearly broke my TV out of frustration playing that game.

Well, I can agree with you about NG2 being among the hardest games of this generation when it comes to Master Ninja mode (well, assuming that you are referring NG2 on the XBOX360, specifically). If it weren't for having a video walkthrough with good commentary to rely on, I would have given up on MNM a long time ago. Although, it does tend to get much easier once you learn the most powerful combos to abuse on certain enemies with the weapons that work best against them.

On a side note, though, NG2 on the NES is still harder than the XBOX360 NG2 on ANY difficulty, IMO (I seriously only ever managed to beat that game once in my whole entire life, so far). ^_^
Feb 7, 2010 10:02 PM

Apr 2009
Mujina said:
Super Kaizo World, that game puts hair on your chest.

Your not jokin

Demons Souls on New Game+ is a bitch to

FUCK YOU ALLANT
FUCK YOU SATSUKI
FUCK YOU BLACK PHANTOM MINISTERS
Feb 7, 2010 10:45 PM

Feb 2009
8 is actually one of the easier touhou games IMO.

Subterranean Animism (11) is my pick for hardest.
Feb 8, 2010 3:28 PM

Aug 2008
Feb 9, 2010 12:27 AM

Nov 2008
Ninja gaiden sigma 2...try it on master ninja mode, you will regret it.
Something cool to be placed here in the near future.
Feb 9, 2010 3:43 AM

Jun 2009
Heaven or Hell difficulty of Devil May Cry 3 and 4
Feb 9, 2010 3:53 AM

Jan 2010
pmpy said:
Heaven or Hell difficulty of Devil May Cry 3 and 4

Heaven or Hell is so impossible on 4 when you get to certain points.

You can't NOT get hit, and it's frustrating.

My friend was playing on it and he fucking hit a spiked roof and died, he proceeded to do this 6 more times till he said, "Fuck this game, I'm done". Haha.

Dante Must Die difficulty is pretty ridiculous as well.

And like so many have said, Ninja Gaiden, any of them. Fuck that shit. :|
Feb 9, 2010 7:49 AM

May 2009

I just hate it.

Doom 2 for the gba in nightmare was also difficult for me
i played also tomb raider 3 when i was a kid and it was so frustrating. I always didnt know where to go.
peroxidFeb 9, 2010 7:52 AM
Feb 9, 2010 10:16 AM

Oct 2007
thepapercut said:
Ninja gaiden sigma 2...try it on master ninja mode, you will regret it.

Well, I find that the girls chapters in Sigma 2 are extremely hard due to them either being much slower or much weaker than Ryu (depending on who you're playing as), which is only made harder by the annoying gameplay design to have grab moves 1-hit kill you unless you have a Talisman of Rebirth equipped. However, I find that grab moves are easier to avoid as Ryu, and while attacks do more damage to him in Sigma 2 than on NG2 on the XBOX360, I find that they are still overall easier to avoid since there are much less enemies to deal with at any given time in the game. As far as difficulty on Master Ninja mode for both versions of the NG2 game go, I rank them like this:

Girls' Chapters (NGS2;PS3) > Ryu's Chapters (NG2;XBOX360) > Ryu's Chapters (NGS2;PS3)

Both versions of the game are pretty damn hard, though, of course. ;)
Feb 9, 2010 10:27 AM

Aug 2009
Tohou period
Sig deleted for being too large.
Feb 9, 2010 10:34 AM

Jul 2008
That one Mutant Ninja Turtles

that one sucked
Feb 9, 2010 11:14 AM

Sep 2007
Not counting ridiculous games which are designed to be frustrating (Super Kaizo World, iwtbtg).

Hardest I've played and beat -
Ninja Gaiden (NES) - friggin last stage is unfair. Birds knocking you into pits, 3 brutal last boss forms, and you have to restart the stage if you fail. The only way to do it is to stockpile ammo and flame the last boss to death. It took me roughly 2 hours to get to the last stage, and about 8 to beat the last stage alone.

Zelda II (NES) - the combat itself isn't insane since you can grind if all else fails (though it's not easy by any means) - the hardest part is trying to find the next area with extremely cryptic/badly translated clues.

Castlevania (NES) - the room right before fighting Death + the fight against Death itself is absurd. Before I learned the holy water trick, it took me hours to kill that one boss.

Plok (SNES) - a childhood nemesis, which took me about 10 years to get through. Limited continues is always bad news, but this game is really freaking long, and the later levels are brutal.

Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? (PSP) - you literally have to memorize the last boss's attack pattern. All 3 minutes of it. After about 300 deaths against the dood, and causing severe (probably permanent) damage to my right thumb, I finally took him down. I don't even want to think about fighting the extra bosses.

Games which I have not beat, but plan to some day:
Battletoads (NES) - fantastic game, but damn is it hard. That bike race segment kicks my ass, and then I don't have any chance on the ice stage. And even if you make it past that there's still those freaking mice you have to race before they blow up. Argh!

Castlevania III (NES) - beat it with heavy use of save states, plan to do it properly at some point. Much harder than the first castlevania, imo.

Contra (NES) - I can do it with the 30 life code, but I'd like to be able to do it without.

Edit:

Oh how could I forget....

SMB2 - The Lost Levels (NES) - This game is EVIL. World 8 is mean, ridiculously mean. I'm no slouch at mario games, but Lost Levels took me a long time to beat. "For Super Players" indeed.
naikouFeb 9, 2010 11:38 AM
Feb 9, 2010 11:18 AM

May 2008
Ikaruga

Never did finish it ;-;
Feb 9, 2010 12:08 PM

Apr 2007
Dragons Lair on the Nes, never got passed level 1.

WHATS THE POINT OF A LIFEBAR WHEN EVERYTHING KILLS YOU IN ONE HIT!?

naikou said:

Zelda II (NES) - the combat itself isn't insane since you can grind if all else fails (though it's not easy by any means) - the hardest part is trying to find the next area with extremely cryptic/badly translated clues.

grinding gets easy when you learn the Down stab. somehow the game gets very easy after the 3'd castle. and the cryptics are very logical.

but, I never finished it because when I made it to the final castle I found out I made a mistake and never beat the boss of the first castle. and I really didn't feel like walking back that whole road.

I AM ERROR!
Rage-The-DragoonFeb 9, 2010 12:13 PM

Feb 9, 2010 12:11 PM

Oct 2009
valkyrie profile 2 was a toughie
Feb 9, 2010 12:19 PM

May 2009
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on Realistic, on single player.

i spent hours trying to clear this one level.
i created a club that is building up a emotional "feels" anime collections
so if anyone wants to join it and get emotional together please come and join us <3
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=18987
Click for link^
Feb 9, 2010 12:42 PM

Jan 2008
Hardest I've completed is Touhou 8 on easy. I'm still trying to do it on normal, damn you Esoterica ~Astronomical Entombing~.

Hardest overall has to be I Wanna Be The Guy, although that's intended to be practically impossible so I'll have to also give Touhou 11 a mention.
Feb 9, 2010 12:46 PM

Apr 2009
I just discovered Nethack a few weeks ago. YASD (Yet Another Stupid Death) is rapidly becoming an integral part of my vocabulary.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Feb 9, 2010 2:19 PM
Mar 2008
Pac-man.
Feb 10, 2010 5:54 PM

Jan 2010
Cloudy-Sky said:
Starcraft

Hell yes. All of my Korean people are dominating teh Battlenetz. You will never win any games.

In my opinion, Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox. Try beating that shit on Master Ninja. I couldn't do it. I mean, one NPC enemy probably has more technique and skill than the average player.
Feb 10, 2010 8:48 PM

Oct 2007
Kamehamayhem said:
In my opinion, Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox. Try beating that shit on Master Ninja. I couldn't do it. I mean, one NPC enemy probably has more technique and skill than the average player.

Would you believe that there are actaully people who have been able to beat it taking 0 damage throught the entire game? I wouldn't have, had I not seen a series of videos for the whole game that proved it, which were once uploaded on an NG fan-site (but the links for them are now broken, for whatever reason). I wish I still had NGB for the XBOX, though, because I really wanted to try that myself after seeing it. =P

I think that NG2 on the XBOX360 had an even harder Master Ninja mode due to the insane amount of projectile spam and enemies on screen. Even doing a new game + run for it, I still have a really hard time making it through that difficulty.
Feb 11, 2010 9:18 AM

Apr 2007
Blaster Master

You have limited continues, so almost impossible to beat the game.
Feb 11, 2010 9:21 AM

Aug 2009
Half Life 2 - Smod : Tactical
-Fixing-
Feb 12, 2010 9:49 AM

Jan 2008
Virtual Bart for the SNES. i seriously think it is impossible to beat all the levels. couldn't do it when i was 8 or 18.
Feb 12, 2010 6:30 PM

Oct 2009
There are only like 2 games i could not play...

EVE Online
I just could not figure out wtf i had to do.

Resident Evil 5
It may just be the fact that it was the first game ive played which i could not aim and walk at the same time or that i wasn't use to the controls but i could not get past the big axe boss on the first level... I RAGED QUIT after the 5th time trying and deleted it :(
Feb 12, 2010 6:37 PM

Oct 2008
Specifically, the last mission of Crysis Warhead on the hardest difficulty.
Mar 23, 2010 8:32 PM
Dec 2007
I think Ninja Gaiden II was hard. Took over 6 hours to do a few chapters. ugh.
Apr 5, 2010 12:54 PM
Apr 2010
Has to be Ninja Gaiden. I'm 20, and this game still makes me scream in fury.
Apr 5, 2010 1:11 PM

Jan 2010
zammullins said:
Has to be Ninja Gaiden. I'm 20, and this game still makes me scream in fury.

Me too. Just beating one Ninja Gaiden game is something you should put on a resume.
Apr 5, 2010 4:33 PM

Apr 2010
Mega Man 10 (actually all mega mans)
Smash TV (if you try not continuing)
CoD4 on Veteran was pretty hard but i guess that just took time
Apr 9, 2010 10:41 AM

Jul 2008
Demon's Souls -.-
Ninja Gaiden -.-
Apr 9, 2010 7:13 PM

Jan 2009
Battletoads (NES) - Never made it past like level 4

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (SNES) - I could never "Use the force Luke" and make that god dang torpedo in the hole to destroy the deathstar or w/e that moon looking shp was called.

Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (NES) - never got past level 5 on any of the games.

Mike Tyson Punchout (NES) - got to tyson and got dropped.

Paperboy (NES) - had to stop slowly at each mailbox to make a paper in, and missed that half the time too... epic fail .... -__-
Apr 9, 2010 7:52 PM

Feb 2010
Maplestory

It's impossible to get to Lv200 w/o having absolutely no life and spending a ton of money on this game
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3582 by Ahmedkabeer »»
30 minutes ago

» What was the very first video game you ever played? As well your first game console?

Kazeninjaryu1 - May 5

44 by EpicSaxGuy »»
6 hours ago

» What gives you instant motivation to plat/100% a game

Joesaka - Jun 8

13 by BookBirdie »»
6 hours ago

» Favorite strategy video games

EarthHero - May 31

25 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
8 hours ago

» Do you still use ur disc drive to play games ?

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 4

18 by Retro8bit »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.