Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Zaregoto Series
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 18, 2016 7:35 PM

Apr 2014
Zaregoto OVA Confirmed to be an 8 episode OVA by Shaft.

Yuki Kaji voicing Ii-chan
Aoi Yuuki voicing Tomo
Akio Watanabe: Character Designer

The official site of anime Zaregoto is online http://zaregoto-series.com/ the OAV 1 is scheduled for October 26, 2016
moodieAug 19, 2016 9:09 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 18, 2016 7:54 PM

Oct 2012
A CM already? Nice. Hopefully it'll show the character designs. An OVA sounds fine as long as it has a decent running time.
Aug 18, 2016 8:59 PM
Aug 18, 2016 10:10 PM
Aug 2011
moodie said:
Yuki Kaji voicing Ii-chan

Oh sweet baby Jesus why have you forsaken me?!

Edit: now for a more coherent response...
It's just that Zaregoto much like Nisio's work in general is very character/dialogue driven and to have to hear a person whose voice I genuinely find grating and annoying being the force behind that... is truly unsatisfying.
Now I know i'm jumping the gun because we really don't know anything about this yet but I think i've been around the block enough to know what to expect from this VA regardless.
I'm bitter over a cartoon sigh. Time to evaluate my life again.

Well an OVA (a series or just 1?) sounds fine? Considering that I didn't think that this work (animated would) ever see the light of day to begin with.
I am looking forward to the character designs and the other voices.
Namely Hitoshiki and Jun if/when we reach those parts which I guess won't happen for a long time, if ever. Hopefully it does since I love those two.
standAug 18, 2016 11:23 PM
Aug 18, 2016 10:12 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
One moviegoer stated that first part of the OVA is scheduled to release on October 26th. I'm assuming it's this year. Some guy also said that the music in the CM sounded like Yuki Kajiura's work.

Well, Newtype issue of this October will have detailed info on the series so I'll hold my breath till then. I think it'll be issued on September 10th.

Aug 19, 2016 12:04 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
stand said:
Well an OVA (a series or just 1?) sounds fine? Considering that I didn't think that this work (animated would) ever see the light of day to begin with.
I am looking forward to the character designs and the other voices.
Namely Hitoshiki and Jun if/when we reach those parts which I guess won't happen for a long time, if ever. Hopefully it does since I love those two.

The September issue of Newtype teased info about Zaregoto Series for the upcoming issue by listing just "Kubikiri Cycle" at the end of the magazine. My assumption is that they intend to tackle one book at a time.

Akio Watanabe seems to be in charge of the character designs. Not sure if he'll be able to properly translate Take's original designs like Tsuyoshi Kawada.

Aug 19, 2016 4:27 AM

Aug 2013
I'm ok with it being OVA as long as they give it the time it need.
hope they reveal the staff soon.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2016 4:31 AM

Aug 2013
Vindstot said:
One moviegoer stated that first part of the OVA is scheduled to release on October 26th. I'm assuming it's this year. Some guy also said that the music in the CM sounded like Yuki Kajiura's work.

Well, Newtype issue of this October will have detailed info on the series so I'll hold my breath till then. I think it'll be issued on September 10th.

not sure if shaft can pull it out this year.
also some source say it's gonna be next year.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2016 4:41 AM

Oct 2012
Rumors are going around that the first volume is going to receive 8 OVAs with one being released every month. If that's the case, then that'd be awesome, though a tad excessive.

I'm kind of worried about Watanabe doing the character designs, but his work was great during Kizu, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here.
KoybzAug 19, 2016 4:49 AM
Aug 19, 2016 5:12 AM

May 2013
Koybz said:
Rumors are going around that the first volume is going to receive 8 OVAs with one being released every month. If that's the case, then that'd be awesome, though a tad excessive.

I'm kind of worried about Watanabe doing the character designs, but his work was great during Kizu, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here.

wow, 1 volume 8 ova?

design character kizu and zaregoto is vastly different though.
Aug 19, 2016 6:08 AM

Aug 2013
alyya said:

wow, 1 volume 8 ova?

they are long though,if they want to go with a decent pacing without rushing too much stuff i think 8 OVAs is good.
monaliAug 19, 2016 6:12 AM
Aug 19, 2016 7:07 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Koybz said:

I'm more worried about SHAFT's production schedule. They have quite a few project lined up not too far from now. 3-gatsu this Fall, Fate/Extra next year, Prism Nana OVA series that's currently running, presumably second cour of Owarimonogatari and now 8 Zaregoto OVAs on a monthly basis starting October.

As much as I'm hoping none of them flops, there are bound to be some inconsistencies in quality.

Aug 19, 2016 7:27 AM

Apr 2014
Vindstot said:
Koybz said:

I'm more worried about SHAFT's production schedule. They have quite a few project lined up not too far from now. 3-gatsu this Fall, Fate/Extra next year, Prism Nana OVA series that's currently running, presumably second cour of Owarimonogatari and now 8 Zaregoto OVAs on a monthly basis starting October.

As much as I'm hoping none of them flops, there are bound to be some inconsistencies in quality.
Dont be worried. Nhk series dont require such high budgeted series. And if Shinbo is really working on it then it means he will use everything in his power to cut corners but make it look good.

Gatari's team has always never affected the other series it seems like that team is tightly nitted.

Fate got type moon money, look at how silver link upped their quality from anything they have ever done.

Zaregoto being an ova rather than a tv series just shows that they want to maintain quality.

Prism nana is prism nana honestly dont know whats going on with it apart from the 3rd episode coming soon.

I would be worried if they were overlapping projects but with 2 series being an OVA and 3 gatsu coming now Im not worried much.
Aug 19, 2016 8:16 AM

Apr 2014
Updated OP with official news.
Aug 19, 2016 8:26 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The music is amazing! It does sound like Yuki Kajiura's composing, though it can also be the MONACA unit that worked on the Monogatari Series.

Aug 19, 2016 8:36 AM

Apr 2014
Scheduel for Zaregoto OVA

1 : 26 Oct
2 : 30 Nov
3 : 28 Dec
4 : 25 Jan 2017
5 : 22 Feb
6 : 29 Mar
7 : 26 Apr
8 : 24 May
Aug 19, 2016 8:38 AM

Oct 2012
Not a big fan of the character design tbh. Music is indeed very Kajiura-ish which could be good though I wouldn't have minded the more minimalistic stuff that features in the Monogatari Series.
Aug 19, 2016 9:18 AM

Apr 2014

Akio nailed it tbh
Aug 19, 2016 9:28 AM
Aug 2011
Well if I squint I can see some Take in there... maybe... kind of.
Interesting music yep sounds very Kajiura and wow that schedule. We're in for the long haul and that's just for Kubikiri Cycle.
standAug 19, 2016 9:33 AM
Aug 19, 2016 9:29 AM

Apr 2014
stand said:
I mean I wasnt expecting to see Take's art just like I wasnt for Vofan.
Aug 19, 2016 9:35 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Background sketches from the source code of the official site.

Aug 19, 2016 9:42 AM

May 2013
moodie said:
stand said:
I mean I wasnt expecting to see Take's art just like I wasnt for Vofan.
nice to see your signature is updated :D

--
well it's beautiful. but maybe iichan less dark/edgy?

so, there's no zerozaki and aoii mikoko :swt.
Aug 19, 2016 9:45 AM

Apr 2014
Vindstot said:

Just how I imagined. Lets see how it will look with CG on it.
Aug 19, 2016 9:47 AM

Oct 2012
Vindstot said:

As usual, Shaft's BGs are top notch.
Aug 19, 2016 9:56 AM

Aug 2013
Vindstot said:

that's awesome.
now 29 oct will be a long wait.
Aug 19, 2016 10:01 AM

Oct 2012
moodie said:

Akio nailed it tbh

I'm a little disappointed as Shaft are usually very good at nailing more unconventional character designs (see SZS, Hidamari, Soremachi) and tend to be very faithful in general (Nisekoi, Sasami, Denpa Onna, Arakawa, 3-gatsu). Mainly though I was just hoping that the character designs wouldn't look like they came straight out of the Monogatari universe and with Akio on board, they kinda do. However, character designs are only a nitpick as it seems like they've nailed the most important aspect and that is the format. I'll be interested to see which director Shaft will assign to Zaregoto as a lot of them are pretty busy at the moment iirc.
Aug 19, 2016 10:02 AM

Aug 2013
moodie said:

Akio nailed it tbh

the face.....not really.
but that's gonna make it a little easy for shaft to animate the character.
Aug 19, 2016 10:22 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Koybz said:
I'll be interested to see which director Shaft will assign to Zaregoto as a lot of them are pretty busy at the moment iirc.

I'd prefer Tatsuya Oishi to be in charge, but I think he's been quite busy with Kizumonogatari and likely won't helm this project. So, either Tomoyuki Itamura or Yukihiro Miyamoto would be a good fit.

Aug 19, 2016 10:33 AM

Aug 2013
Vindstot said:
Koybz said:
I'll be interested to see which director Shaft will assign to Zaregoto as a lot of them are pretty busy at the moment iirc.

I'd prefer Tatsuya Oishi to be in charge, but I think he's been quite busy with Kizumonogatari and likely won't helm this project. So, either Tomoyuki Itamura or Yukihiro Miyamoto would be a good fit.

from what i saw from kizumonogatari,I'm a bit skeptical about that.
I mean I love Li-chan inner monologue and i don't want him to get ride of it in the OVAs.
Aug 19, 2016 10:45 AM

Apr 2014
Since a movie theater is a place where you experience something different, Oishi wanted the viewers to see things from Araragi’s point of view. That’s why most of the Araragi’s thoughts were cut out. It’s the opposite approach from Itamura Tomoyuki (the director for Nisemonogatari and onward), who turns the narration into monologues.

Hopefully we can stfu about the inner monologue bullshit since Oishi pretty much wanted a different experience for a movie theater.
Aug 19, 2016 10:48 AM

Oct 2012
Vindstot said:
Koybz said:

Oishi would be my ideal choice as well, but unless he's nearly finished the third part of Kizu already then I don't see much chance of him working on this like you said and I don't think I'd be able to handle both Itamura AND Watanabe for Zaregoto. I wouldn't mind seeing Miyamoto try his hands at Zaregoto though.
Aug 19, 2016 11:31 AM
Jul 2015
Koybz said:

I kind hope it is Takeuchi Nobuyuki, His work on the first 5 episode of Bakemonogatari and his solo episode in Mawaru are amazing and would be a fitting project for him and can't think of any better director at shaft currently (except Oishi but he is probably busy) just please not Itamura.
Aug 19, 2016 1:59 PM

Nov 2013
I'm pretty hyped for this, hopefully it gets licensed.
Disappear. This chair is an eyesore. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair.
Aug 19, 2016 3:45 PM
Jan 2014
Yuki Kaji... are u kidding me?
This clown should stick to voicing vanilla shounen protags and generic ln adaptation protags
He has no variety at all.. I don't want Ii-chan to sound like fucking Eren or that Guilty Crown mc whatever his name is
Aug 19, 2016 7:38 PM

Dec 2015
Yup, I am very hyped. Hopefully this OVA series does well so that the entire light novel series will eventually get adapted. I am just surprised that so much news is suddenly getting announced from Studio Shaft after almost a year of staying dormant, now I can be excited for THIS and Mekaku City Reload ;) (which IS confirmed to be made by Shaft right?) :/

Also, I don't really get all the hate for Yuki Kaji. His voice is very adaptable and can fit into a lot of different roles/characters so I am not at all against Ii-chan being casted as him ^_^
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Aug 20, 2016 4:28 PM

Aug 2012
Nice, I can't wait to see how Jun and Hitoshiki look in this style. Though Hitoshiki would probably have to wait until next year if sales go well.

So judging by the name on MAL now, the eight OVAs are pretty much confirmed to only be the first book or?

I'm wondering how the character commentary will be handled. I'd love a sarcastic Jun commentary in at least one of them.
Aug 21, 2016 7:22 AM

Jan 2016
Yes this is an ova covering the first book with presumably 8 normal length episodes.

I was already hype for this but that kajiura track on the official site got me supah hype. I'm kinda hoping shinbo directs this personally but i doubt he will, im just hoping itamura doesnt...
Aug 21, 2016 8:12 AM

Apr 2014
GoldNautilus said:
Yes this is an ova covering the first book with presumably 8 normal length episodes.

I was already hype for this but that kajiura track on the official site got me supah hype. I'm kinda hoping shinbo directs this personally but i doubt he will, im just hoping itamura doesnt...
Curious to see why itamura gets hate? with a bigger budget he makes great series that are perfectly paced like tsuki or hana
Aug 22, 2016 4:15 AM
Jul 2018
moodie said:
GoldNautilus said:

Curious to see why itamura gets hate? with a bigger budget he makes great series that are perfectly paced like tsuki or hana

The internet hates Tsuki's and Hana's pace.
Aug 22, 2016 2:05 PM

Apr 2014
puraragi said:
moodie said:

LMFAO how? Im guess its the shaft hate meme thats been brewing on the internet. For me those are the best directed gatari series.
Aug 23, 2016 2:58 PM
Jul 2018
moodie said:
puraragi said:

LMFAO how? Im guess its the shaft hate meme thats been brewing on the internet. For me those are the best directed gatari series.

Apparently they're boring (Hana more than Tsuki). I have no idea how either, they were one of the best ones in my opinion.
Aug 26, 2016 9:15 AM

Oct 2012
http://zaregoto-series.com/#cast

The site has updated and the staff and more character designs have been released. Yuki Yase is confirmed director and Kalafina confirmed for the ED.

Looking at all the character designs, they seem pretty good actually though Jun looks a little off to me. All in all, so far so good.

Staff:

VAs for the rest of the cast:
KoybzAug 26, 2016 9:26 AM
Aug 26, 2016 9:51 AM

Apr 2014
Knew Yase Yuki was going to do this. Im excited

Whats so great about this is that the staff is very similar to Cossette no Shouzou's staff
Aug 26, 2016 9:53 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Rest of the project staff

Image Board: Okama (Arakawa Under the Bridge) [ED]
Art Setting: Morihito Ohara (Monogatari Series Second Season)
Art Director: Ken Naitou (Tasogare Otome x Amnesia)
Color Design: Jin Hibino (ef: A Tale of Melodies.), Yasuko Watanabe (Koufuku Graffiti)
Director of Photography: Rei Egami (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei)
Editing: Rie Matsubara (Owarimonogatari)
Sound Director: Yota Tsuruoka (Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu)

The possibility of Yuki Yase being the director crossed my mind, but didn't think he'd actually end up taking the role. Rest of the project staff looks decent.

Sangatsu no Phantasia's ED in Kiznaiver was great. Hopefully Kalafina will bring out something just as good.

Would've preferred Ryoko Shiraishi to voice for Aikawa Jun, but Yuuko Kaida is a decent seiyuu too. Surprised that they haven't gotten Kamiya Hiroshi on board yet. Imagine they make him voice for Hitoshiki Zerozaki. Ahahaha.

Aug 26, 2016 9:55 AM

Apr 2014
Designs

holy shit its beautiful im glad Akio's design is smoothed out unlike the gatari series
Aug 26, 2016 9:58 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
I'm not sure I'm fond of I, Tomo and Aikawa Jun's designs, but rest of the characters look pretty good. Hopefully they'll look better in motion too.

WHERE IS THAT CM THOUGH!?

Aug 26, 2016 10:02 AM

Apr 2014
Vindstot said:
I'm not sure I'm fond of I, Tomo and Aikawa Jun's designs, but rest of the characters look pretty good. Hopefully they'll look better in motion too.

WHERE IS THAT CM THOUGH!?
So far they are just models you know once they get shaded and are in motion they will look better.
Aug 26, 2016 10:05 AM

Dec 2012
Kinda disappointed that the anime has a different artstyle. I like Ako's designs but I preferred the original illustrations of the novels. Particularly the blue hair girl and the female character that has a bolt in her hair, she looks so much better in the illustrations.

The character design of Katangatari would have made more sense.
Aug 26, 2016 10:10 AM

Apr 2014
Ya well Japan didnt like Katanagatari art so theres that. You can wish for faithfulness or you can please the fans.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai Episode 5 Discussion

moodie - Mar 28, 2017

47 by Akaseaka »»
Jun 4, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mugi__nZk - Sep 27, 2017

91 by Karva1 »»
Jun 1, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TensaiBishounen - Aug 29, 2017

53 by Karva1 »»
Jun 1, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai Episode 6 Discussion

TensaiBishounen - May 30, 2017

43 by Karva1 »»
Jun 1, 8:16 AM

Poll: » Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai Episode 4 Discussion

TensaiBishounen - Feb 21, 2017

35 by Karva1 »»
May 31, 5:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.