Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Zaregoto Series
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2017 7:51 AM

Apr 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What an expected turn of events yet I am still surprised. Looks like 2 dead and we dont know who dun it. It's getting to become rather interesting. Splitting up into groups is wise. I still feel uneasy by the way characters behave. Almost everyone at this point is a suspect. The dialog is again a wonderful part of the series. And the visual abstraction continues to hit us. Yase Yuki is truly redeeming himself after MCA. With 5 episodes out I already think its a 9/10.

PLEASE READ: Zaregoto 6 - 8 has been delayed, obviously Shaft are packed with series. This isnt nothing new. I remember Hana was delayed for soooo long lol. Its only another 1 month. Last delayed improved the quality so I am fine with this.
Mar 28, 2017 10:05 AM

May 2013
Akane dead with headless too.
The locked room now involved height of the room.
- window can't open from outside and needing someone from inside aka akane to open it.
- even you can enter the room, imposible to returned back because the height too.

reminds me of danganronpa 2 case that involved katana in toilet but can't do that in this case unfortunately.

the mistress of the house pretty suspicious too. her aliby too convenience and her maid could lie for her too.

And kunagisa's computer. when the timeline too tight for everyone to destroy that PC, is that evidence there's (n+1) people in that island?
megmicaMar 28, 2017 10:09 AM
Mar 30, 2017 10:00 AM

Oct 2012
So let's tally all the clues we have in 5 episodes

- Kanami and Akane dead
- It was known painting wasn't painted by Kanami with the obvious error shown
- Paint in Kanami's room was majorly spilled to cover killer's footsteps
- Storage room can be accessed from outside, but going back out from the window is almost impossible
- Storage room can only be accessed normally via a key and it's held by Hikari
- 3 people(ii-chan, Hikari and Yayoi) have no alibi for Akane's murder
- Akane's murder took place between 9pm to 9am while Kanami's murder took place after the earthquake approx 1am
- Kunagisa Tomo was onto something but someone destroyed her computer to destroy the video and pictures she took in Kanami's room.
- Both Akari and Teruko were out on an errand to get in touch with Aikawa Jun.

Not sure what I missed out but I think that's about it all.

In the previous episode Akane mentioned she don't mind being murdered so going by that conversation she had with Ii-chan last episode, it's safe to say she didn't struggle(I think, if we could take her word for it) when she got murdered.

I find Iria and Rei too suspicious as both times, their alibi was covered by one another. Well, in this case Shinya and Maki also faced the same situation as well but what intrigued me is the reaction that Iria has. It almost sounds like she has some conspiracy with Rei beforehand but it looks like there is a 13th person on the island because of the case of what happened to Tomo's computer.

I will have to rewatch the episode during the weekends to see if there's anything I missed out but so far, Kanami's case is getting a little unsolvable because Akane is dead right now.

I highly suspect there is a 13th person in this entire case. There isn't much leads that we have here for a conclusive statement that it is either 10 of them who did it.

Oh right, the only unshakable feeling I have is: During their outing on their errand, what did Akari and Teruko exactly do? Where did they exactly go? Without knowing their exact footpath and what happened, alongside with Kanami's murder, there is a high chance either are lying about their alibi because they were the only 2 people that weren't in the mansion.
JiharoMar 30, 2017 10:08 AM
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Apr 1, 2017 7:24 AM

Dec 2014
Jiharo said:

I find Iria and Rei too suspicious as both times, their alibi was covered by one another.

Yeah I found it rather strange that nobody objected to it either, their alibi is the weakest one by far too like "yeah we just talked all night and just didn't decide to sleep that night since it was soooo interesting" I mean really? I could be very wrong here but a bunch of red flags popped up in my mind at that moment
Apr 1, 2017 8:59 AM

Jul 2015
AHAHAHAHAHA I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON ANYMORE. I'm like the main guy but dumber, the computers being destroyed has thrown me completely off and now I have no idea what to think. Iria and Rei do seem the most suspicious but at this point, but its not like I can do anything with that information. Despite what I say I am really enjoying this and the visuals are top notch, shaft does good work. But I'll have to wait a bit for the reveal.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 1, 2017 12:11 PM

Jul 2012
Well that definitely got more interesting, reminded me the Umineko mystery, the same theme, but different interpretation.
After the ending segment with Hikari i don't think that she is the culprit, but what was the reasoning for her actions in the beginning, did i miss something? I assume it's cause it was mc's idea locking Akane-san and Hikari was acting under shock state after seeing the body, but still i thought it was rather strange without any explanation, and mb it's mc's character/his attitude fault. And the information about how easily you can access the window is quite/very important imo, it adds many (only) new possibilities.
I wonder if we'll get to see this amazing Aikawa-san.
Apr 1, 2017 4:10 PM

Feb 2016
boy this Anime is getting better and better into mindfucking, this episode was really interesting, it keeps you away from the 10 people alive... I suspect those two that people mentions here to be suspicious too, but the PC being destroyed means that there is someone else

I like the idea of a Unpredictable Killer that is around, Shaft is doing it pretty well
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 2, 2017 5:58 AM

Jan 2015
Definitely the best episode. I loved it

Damn, didn't expect Akari to die

I guess there's a hidden person in the island
Apr 2, 2017 9:24 AM

Oct 2012
Xenocrisi said:

Chiga Akari didn't die

The one dead was Sonoyama Akane
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Apr 2, 2017 9:39 AM

Jan 2015
Jiharo said:
Xenocrisi said:

Chiga Akari didn't die

The one dead was Sonoyama Akane

Oh really? sorry lol...There are too many names
Apr 2, 2017 3:23 PM

Oct 2011
Locked root murder omg
Apr 2, 2017 4:34 PM

Apr 2014
its so hard not spoiling it for others. im just glad u guys are enjoying it as much as i am.
Apr 3, 2017 6:04 AM

May 2010
This finally got me interested. Must say I liked Akane. The way she was so fearless about death.

Also Hikari is another endearing character, sorta reminds me of Rem.
Apr 3, 2017 12:08 PM

Sep 2015
And here's where the story gets really good. I forgot how much I didn't like Iria throughout this story. She's just always throwing her weight around. Trying to make it seem like someone conclusively did it. Without enough evidence to back it up. It's annoying how much she confuses the investigations. Though then again at times it can feel very deliberate. I wonder why that might be.

I remember reading this and being so disappointed when Akane died. She was the character I found the most interesting. Much like Ibuki there's kind of like an indignant sadness to her death too. And with another head scratching locked room mystery. Right after the first one got solved. That's honestly one of the most clever things about this story. The way it constructs two very outside the box locked room mysteries. Like I played Danganronpa, I've read a mystery novel or too. I've never seen one resembling either of these two. And the solutions are pretty clever and at once obvious with both.

Zaregoto loves to have Ii-chan figure something important out. And then not tell us for like a long time. Here he reaches an important conclusion when someone smashes Kunagisa's computer. As Hikari points out everyone on the island was in the dining hall, during the only time it could have occurred. This gives Iichan a eureka moment (obviously in some fashion there must be someone on the island they're not aware of). But he doesn't want to share it with us apparently.

Closing thoughts, I really love Hikari. And this was like the chapter where I started to really love Hikari. When you got a bunch of maid characters, there's always got to be a best maid right? She's just so sweet. And I love when Ii-chan stands up for her too. On that note all three teams striking their competition poses was really cool.

This was yet another visually arresting installment to the Zaregoto OVA. I love how they visualize the murder for us to help our understanding. I love the super pretty backgrounds. I love the Shaft quirks. And I love how it's managed to make an exciting adaptation out of such a strange and word heavy little book.
Apr 4, 2017 7:26 PM
Apr 2017
All the people that have been long on the island are fishy - the cook, owner, maids. The owner made that weird "it happened again" comment after the first murder. The cook has weird reactions all the time. The way Hikari assaulted the narrator in the morning is strange - as if everything revolved around him and maybe Kunagisa Tomo. Also, what's with that giant headless angel statue near the stairs? And the mansion looks strange all around. Would like to see plans for that thing (hidden passages, doors etc.). Anyhow, looks like it's not a solo job, some collusion - large or small. With extra people involved. Maybe Aikawa (is it the person talking to the narrator at the beginning of the first episode?) is playing already.

On a different note, in the discussion of the previous episode some people posted strange, from my point of view, comments on narrator's relationship with Tomo. My take is that he may not love her (as he said himself to Akane), but he's definitely possessive. On the other hand she likes everyone, either because she's still childlike or it's a psychological quirk due to her savant syndrome. So the problem is that he can very well be with her, but he's replaceable to her - as would anyone else be. And the narrator is not ok with that, so he seems to have had sex with her, hoping that would advance his position, which it apparently didn't. Now he hangs around, because he likes spending time with her, but he's still unfulfilled and depressed. Also, after burying the corpse the three of them we're returning and the narrator said that he does not like to repeat things. To which Tomo said that it's so like him, possibly pointing at him physically distancing from her after once being closer. Of course, all of this speculation is useless if he lied when conversing with Akane.

Someone knows what exactly is wrong with the portrait of the narrator? In one of the previous episodes the painting could be seen clearly - anyone notice something? Also, if the artist didn't make it, then there has to be someone with sick painting skills on that island - either to draw from scratch/finish it after the murder or to have done it beforehand. Anyway, that shows the interest of the killer towards the narrator. Which is peculiar.

One more thing - I hope the story explains itself within the bounds of the reality. Worst case scenario - sci-fi reality. Please no magic. But then again it's already dangerously close to magic due to Maki (or what was the mind reader called).
Apr 7, 2017 9:20 PM

Oct 2012
anon1729 said:

Someone knows what exactly is wrong with the portrait of the narrator? In one of the previous episodes the painting could be seen clearly - anyone notice something?

Apr 7, 2017 11:19 PM
Sep 2014
Either there is someone else or there are two killers working together.
Apr 8, 2017 2:36 PM

Jan 2013
Another enjoyable episode, have no clue who the killer is. Feels like it could be anyone
Apr 8, 2017 4:41 PM

Apr 2014
RediceRyan said:
Another enjoyable episode, have no clue who the killer is. Feels like it could be anyone
Glad the anime is doing its job then!
Apr 13, 2017 10:32 AM

Oct 2012
The moment when Tomo-chan was dancing on the swings, despite her unability to scale a stairs. And the look in the face towards the end. Guess she can be culprit too.

But witch unlikely things happening and happening the resolution could go either way.
So far my biggest suspects are Hikari, Tomo and Iria but I think it was Yayoi who destroyed the computer (she acted very suspicious too). But on the other hand, someone could destoyed the computer after the meeting in the cellar as Tomo-chan and Ii-chan were the last to go out of there.

There are definitely some people who are trying to hide something from the others and everyone has probably his own motives to do some things. But I think that the most suspicious one won't be the culprit, just for the sake of the shock factor. Next one to die is probably Himeno Maki.

But honestly? I believe the culprit has an accomplice because this is clearly not a work of one person.

EightOfTentacles said:
Either there is someone else or there are two killers working together.

I found it very strange that Rei didn't talk at all. Could be Kanami is the killer from the start (together with Iria as an accomplice) and she's just disguising as her. They both have the blue eyes and what's better than to kill herself first if she wanted to obscure the real identity of the killer.
Mich666Apr 13, 2017 10:41 AM
May 1, 2017 10:18 PM

Nov 2014
i feel like the show did not progress in any way

May 2, 2017 11:32 AM

Apr 2014
ExTemplar said:
2 murders and 2 locked rooms. Her computer was destroyed in a matter of a couple minutes. Even more mystery.

But it didnt progress? lol
May 2, 2017 11:43 AM

Nov 2014
moodie said:
ExTemplar said:
2 murders and 2 locked rooms. Her computer was destroyed in a matter of a couple minutes. Even more mystery.

creating more questions without answers isn't a progression in my opinion.
by the same logic of creating more mistery, they could kill somebody every episode until everyone is dead, but if there is no advancement in the solution of the case, it does not contribute in any way
it is like the shows about girls eating cakes. they eat new cakes each day and talk about new songs, but that's not a progression.
ExTemplarMay 2, 2017 11:46 AM

May 4, 2017 5:19 PM

May 2009
ExTemplar said:
moodie said:

by the same logic of creating more mistery, they could kill somebody every episode until everyone is dead, but if there is no advancement in the solution of the case, it does not contribute in any way
it is like the shows about girls eating cakes. they eat new cakes each day and talk about new songs, but that's not a progression.

Imo, the point of a mystery is to let you think about the mystery itself, giving you more leads and(/or) reducing some scenario/possibilities.
May 5, 2017 10:17 AM

Nov 2014
Djidji said:
ExTemplar said:

Imo, the point of a mystery is to let you think about the mystery itself, giving you more leads and(/or) reducing some scenario/possibilities.
I might not be a very sharp detective, but thus far I feel like the information presented is not nearly enoughy to identify or speculate who the killer is. Which is what drives me to say that there is no progress imo.

May 7, 2017 1:09 AM
Aug 2015
So , where is episode 6?
May 7, 2017 1:53 PM

Apr 2014
M-A-M2000 said:
So , where is episode 6?
coming at the end of this month
May 7, 2017 9:14 PM
Aug 2015
moodie said:
M-A-M2000 said:
So , where is episode 6?
coming at the end of this month

So it got delayed again 😔
May 17, 2017 12:29 AM

Oct 2012
ExTemplar said:
Djidji said:

I might not be a very sharp detective, but thus far I feel like the information presented is not nearly enoughy to identify or speculate who the killer is. Which is what drives me to say that there is no progress imo.

Well IIRC someone told me at this point, Ii-chan already know who the killer is.

That being said, since I didn't read the LN, I have no idea is he joking or not but it looks like episode 6 will reveal a lot things to us that might make the picture much clearer than it is now.
May 26, 2017 5:20 AM

Jun 2015
Damn this anime is awesome, sasuga Nisioisin-san. It has its own suspenseful vibe which is somehow different from normal mystery books. Also the narration done by Shaft brings out its potential... I really like this one. (though the score is lower than what I expected.)
And the ED is one of the best things I've heard from Kalafina!

looking forward to the rest.
ok :p
May 27, 2017 12:40 AM

Aug 2016
Splendid episode. I wasn't too keen on the series for the first 2 eps but the 3 latest ones have got me hooked.

I really doubt Ilia and Rei's alibi. It is also my speculation that they set the murders up(not necessarily the ones who did it) so that Kunagisa will meet with this Aikawa-san as Ilia mentioned after Kanami's murder that they were planning something before Kunagisa left.

Btw I was wondering if I should wait for the OVA to finish or should I start reading the first volume since I plan to order the first volume this June.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

May 30, 2017 12:08 AM

Jul 2016
My theory regarding the 2nd murder (Akane's Case):
- The only way to get into the room is using the door and the window
- But the door is locked, so to open it we need the key
- While on the window, it can be only opened by the switch on the inside of the room
- The window is too high to used as an escape route of the killer so its impossible to used it to escape
- so the only that could be used for it by the killer is a way to get inside, which is revealed that on the outside, its just as very low like a door and an easy route to get inside.
- So I guess this is the thing that happened, the killer used the window to get inside kill the victim, then used the key to open the door to get outside. Then locked the door.
- The problem with this is this: to get down inside from the window, landing is not that easy, so a not physically fit person may get injured while for person who has a physical fit body chances to get injured is low
- Another problem is this, if killer then is now inside, as I have said to get outside is to used the door, but we need the key. So the killer must have the key.
- With this theory my lead suspect is that maid Hikari who's got accessed to the keys and now on team with Icchan and Tomo.
* My evidence is this:
- she has the key of the room;
- she's the only one who's showed on the episode, that went on Akane. That's because to give the book.
- and lastly, this is very vague to me, Tomo noticed something on the last scene, when Ichan and Hikari started to get back to mansion, Tomo seems like looked at the walking of the two and she noticed something strange.
- although I looked on it very closedly then replayed that scene I can't see something strange on the way of walking of the two seriously, but my guess is this on what Tomo noticed, the way Hikari walks seems like she is injured. So that made her my lead suspect.

Well just my wild theory :3 thanks for reading

dang can't wait for the next ova Dx
cronoSpirAMay 30, 2017 12:12 AM
Jun 15, 2017 12:49 PM

Mar 2013
Two people get their heads cut off, nobody gives a f**k. They go about their business and sleep like it's nothing. Computer gets wrecked... on no how could somebody be so cruel? =.='

This story hasn't really been as entertaining as the average score makes it seem. They're just assuming the headless bodies belong to Akane and Kanami.
Nov 11, 2017 9:13 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
another murder in a lock room, although the room has a high and small window!!!!
Nov 16, 2017 8:44 AM
Nov 2016
So I'm so amazed that no one thought maybe she opened the window cause it was hot or something and someone climbed in with ya know the age old invention of a rope?
Dec 24, 2017 2:32 AM

Dec 2010
Maybe Akane allowed herself to be killed. She mentioned that she's always ready to be killed in the previous episode. The killer might have snuck a stair in through the window and left after killing her.
Jan 30, 2018 2:08 AM

Dec 2012
WTF is up with Akari?
The storeroom? Wait a minute. Oh god please no!
Whose body is that? That's not who I think it is.
My waifu Akane... is dead? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
LMAO at Ilia's face after hearing about Tomo's condition.
Shinya went to Maki's room until morning. Hmm...
What the hell do Ilia and Rei talk about all night?
lol at Tomo sipping on the straw as Ilia says she has an alibi.
Akane.
Ilia accuses Hikari.
Ii: Sore wa yokunai.
LMAO Who fucked up her supercomputer?
OMG!! They really buried Akane. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I can't believe that my waifu Akane was killed. Why? You had so many options. Why my waifu? I want to jump through my screen and find the killer then kill them. You'll pay! The only one remaining is Rei. Please don't die.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Feb 6, 2018 12:05 PM

Dec 2016
I hope this show doesn't do that all too common thing where one of the dead people were the killers the whole time, because that would probably ruin this show for me, especially because of his Nisio Isin writes, it would make the entire show even more pointless
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 22, 2018 9:26 PM

Mar 2015
Oh shit another one dead! With the clues we do have, it's getting harder to peg the killer.. but it definitely feels like one of the triplets.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 11, 2019 9:06 AM

Oct 2012
If there are doors it can be opened, even without the keys
At least that's what I believe, defective locks are everywhere nowadays
Also with a mansion full of geniuses, wouldn't you expect one of them able to lockpick?

What if those "dead" people aren't actually dead
With the heads gone, we can't know that for sure
Rayl1ghtAug 11, 2019 9:09 AM
"Signature removed"
Sep 1, 2019 6:53 AM

May 2018
Akane was killed now, and it is another locked door murder scene. Thinking about it, I bet she was helpless at that point, I wish even it is small amount she put up a fight agaisnt the culprit before she dies. So they decided to make 3 teams to make sure that there will be no more killing, because being alone makes them a victim. Another problem comes to Kunagisa, having her gadgets broken without knowing who did it must have hurt her. They have different ideas about how the culprit killed Akane through the window, but it doesn't help at all.

Sep 11, 2019 8:05 PM

Jan 2013
well..there expectedly goes one of the cooler characters, i kinda liked Akane too
Nov 11, 2020 9:55 AM

Jul 2011
An interesting turn of events.
If all 10 had an alibi for the computer destruction, this mean there is someone else on the island.
Or a death was somehow faked.
I'm not sure how it could have happened though because even if they are beheaded I doubt the same corpse could have been for both Akane and Kanami (and it was buried, so the culprit would have had to recover it)
Dec 9, 2020 8:04 AM

Jul 2017
The animation took a dip below again, again shame that its an OVA series and they didn't do a great and consistent job, but a part of me also doesn't mind since its clear that more resources and time went to Monogatari, with the Kizumonogatari movies and Owarimonogatari/Koyomimonogatari airing then, and I prefer those over this series.

I'm enjoying this less and less, mainly cause while there are a couple of cool characters and interactions are decent, there is a lack of real emotion or soul in this anime and I'd even say first novel too. Monogatari was great since it managed to build real characters and gave them enough characterization and chemistry to make the mystery/dialogue even more interesting there, and the same can be said for Katanagatari to a degree but while the interactions for solving the mystery and the concept is good, feels a bit hollow when actually seeing it (especially considering how much of geniuses most of the cast are), therefore I feel like zoning out at times. Doesn't help that the actual adaptation of material is a bit sloppy too as it tries to focus on the main points to progress the mystery. The Akane decapitation adds more to the actual mystery of the culprit but despite liking her character before, a part of me doesn't care. With the anime, I'm realizing a bit more of how the anime wasn't just really weak but the first volume and the series itself is a bit more flawed too.
Jul 21, 2021 9:29 PM
Dec 2017
Shaft really is the best pick for Niso's works.

Mar 30, 2022 12:27 PM
May 2021
Oh fuck why Akane I thought this series is going to kill some random maids first but seeing Akane died so early is somewhat unexpected.
Aug 10, 2022 12:19 PM

Jan 2020
well... this is only my assumption but the murder could be someone not part of the group, but also on the island. is this possible?
other than that:
- i bet with the right utensils, lockpicking isn't that difficult. and they're all geniuses, don't forget that
- i forgot the name of the maid, but don't forget that the maid had the keys to the room the whole time. who says she can't be the culprit?

i'm too lazy to read into locked room murders. i think something like this happened probably in detective conan but i can't recall it. now the anime is really interesting and i need to sleep soon. this sucks.

the sad part by the way is that my favorite character got killed off just now. damn it
ChisukuAug 10, 2022 12:24 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mugi__nZk - Sep 27, 2017

90 by Coyole »»
Jan 9, 11:24 AM

» Where should i start? And more questions

dicloflom - Oct 29, 2023

6 by dicloflom »»
Oct 30, 2023 1:02 AM

» Why Don't Anybody talk about this masterpiece

Hikari5849 - Nov 13, 2022

19 by HigherLvLThinker »»
Aug 31, 2023 11:05 AM

» Season 2 ?

kaiki_fan_boy - Feb 19, 2021

10 by DyceAverruncus »»
Jul 17, 2023 1:03 PM

» Is it known whether the next volumes of the noveel will be adapted?

Menacek - Jun 24, 2017

8 by theslickasian »»
Apr 25, 2023 10:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.