Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Zaregoto Series
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 27, 2017 8:19 AM
Aug 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just wow. that was a perfect finale.

Mod Edit: Please do not ask for or give any links about where to watch this episode.
TenshoSep 29, 2017 3:41 AM
Sep 27, 2017 9:22 AM

Apr 2014
Moral of this

everyone is a liar

8/10 great series. Its almost exactly how i imagined it reading it years ago

Hope for vol 2
Sep 28, 2017 10:31 AM

Oct 2012
The plot twist was something that I did not consider. Holy crap.

I hope Shaft does Kubishime and the rest in TVA format.

10/10 would re-watch it anytime.
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Sep 29, 2017 3:10 PM

May 2009
That was quite the ride for Ii-chan. ^^

Hope they will adapt the other volumes too.
Sep 29, 2017 3:28 PM
Sep 2017
May I ask for spoilers please? I can't wait for the episode to come out.
Oct 1, 2017 2:23 AM

Feb 2015
That was a nice adaptation. I hope that Shaft will deliver the rest of the series.

I love Jun so much.
Oct 1, 2017 2:29 AM

Apr 2017
Eru said:
That was a nice adaptation. I hope that Shaft will deliver the rest of the series.

I love Jun so much.

Same, Jun was an interestring character and I hope to see more of this nonsense series.
Oct 1, 2017 5:14 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
What can i take this?

Geniuses have too much free time!

Also no doubt that Kunagisa would have resolved to do the same that Ibuki did, Ii-chan would have followed just like Shinya did.
Oct 1, 2017 5:16 AM
Apr 2016
What ever happened? Insanity unpunished? Jokers still laughing casually as if nothing ever happened yet? Aaaaaaaaaaaat least I cried at the ending opening song.
Smudy said:

Also no doubt that Kunagisa would have resolved to do the same that Ibuki did, Ii-chan would have followed just like Shinya did.

Well that is one mighty assumption I would not make.
Re:formed
Oct 1, 2017 6:03 AM

Jul 2012
Still really couldn't get into the story, felt so bland for me. The case in the end felt overcomplicated if anything and for no real reason. The title is pretty much saying all it itself, Zaregoto.
Was waiting the whole thing for Aikawa Jun to appear, well that was a cool entrance, might've been interesting to see some of her story. The middle section reminded me of Umineko, like you should say or confirm it with red =/ Already compared (kinda) it to Umineko and kinda obvious cause the theme is similar.
So the overall punchline should be nonsence or Zaregoto, was it also like this that for Shinya and Ibuki with the plan for Ii-chan to discover and why was it that they didn't plan to kill Yayoi-san? Yes or no just find those particular things rather strange.
I'll give it 6/10, kinda enjoyed it but really wasn't my thing and not what i expected for all the waiting.
Oct 1, 2017 6:12 AM

Aug 2016
There is a reference to the painting Ophelia from John Everett Millais
Oct 1, 2017 6:22 AM

Dec 2015
Road trip to hell with Jun .
Oct 1, 2017 8:14 AM

Jan 2014
Sorreh said:
There is a reference to the painting Ophelia from John Everett Millais

Oh damn, I didn't catch that. I guess because his arms weren't in the same position. Like, this one is more noticeable.

Anyway, I've never read Hamlet, so I don't know the full context of it. But doesn't Ophelia die because she was incapable of helping herself or idk? Our MC could be the same.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 1, 2017 9:11 AM

Nov 2015
Great finale for the first volume :D
I really hope they continue the series like they did with Monogatari.
Oct 1, 2017 10:04 AM
Mar 2016
Boku and Jun, all blah, blah, blah and blah...............................
Oct 1, 2017 3:59 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Awesome episode, SHAFT did a great adaptation of the first book. Here's hoping to see them adapt the rest of the series.
Oct 1, 2017 4:21 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Well, it was a very loyal adaptation of one of my favorite LN. But the pacing could've been a bit faster. 5 episodes was ideal. 8 is just stretching it to much. Hopefully they adapt the second book (which was fantastic), while making sure that the pacing is faster and more intense than the first book's adaptation.

7/10
Oct 1, 2017 4:46 PM

Sep 2012
That was a long car ride. The dialogue was pretty captivating, so I'm not complaining. The mystery reveal was pretty unexpected but made sense, in a twisted way. I like the quote "If somebody asks me why I was alive, 'I'd say, just in case.'"

My only complaint was that it was difficult to remember who was who after with the longish breaks between the eps, though the visual cues and flash backs made it coherent here.
Oct 1, 2017 6:08 PM
Jun 2017
bananaislife360 said:

not really spoiler, but
Oct 1, 2017 6:33 PM
Oct 2017
The animation was so good but...I didn't understand a thing ugh. So akane and ibuki switched identities and the real akane killed ibuki?
Oct 1, 2017 6:54 PM
Oct 2016
This final episode is a great example if why I dislike mystery shows. I gave this one a shot and stuck with it since it's a shaft show from the author of monogatari, but I really hate the info dump resolution where a character just sort of goes "well, if you had known this, it should be obvious". Maybe it's just me being salty that I can't solve it myself, but it really wasn't a realistic conclusion to come to, given the evidence that the audience was given. Anyways, at least it was pretty, and the dialogue was good as well.
Oct 1, 2017 8:19 PM

Aug 2014
Oh hey Geisel made a cameo.

Played out almost like a certain Agatha Christie novel. Hope they adapt more of the series, good mysteries are always a treat.
Sieg Zeon!
Oct 1, 2017 9:48 PM

Jul 2015
God DAMN IT SHAFT. Complicated doesn't BEGIN to describe this freaking series, there was no way in hell I would have figured ANY of the MESS explained in this episode, none of it. And it was only made more difficult by the MASSIVE amount of time between each episode. Well, I figured out a few bits and pieces here and there, but most of it, the big stuff, just flew over my head.

Anyway, series is over, and I don't think I'll ever be able to sit through people talking like this and doing absolutely nothing, or the most random of things without reacting properly outside of a good Shaft anime. Once again, its amazing how entertaining Shaft can handle such long conversations between two characters. And it REALLY made this anime, probably couldn't have watched it otherwise, and definitely wouldn't have gotten so much enjoyment out of it. 8/10.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 1, 2017 10:19 PM

Nov 2011
That was one hell of a ride, literally. Jun's role from this anime/episode was very entertaining.

Also glad that this episode was longer than the other episodes.The theme of truth and lies had my interest especially with the way they used their dialogues. I might have to rewatch some of the episodes considering the break. I actually watched episode 7 yesterday and decided to watch episode 8 now. Felt like this show would be better to watch as a marathon.

Oct 2, 2017 3:29 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Always nice to see an unexpected last-minute plot twist to change everything in a whodunit mystery. Sasuga

Honestly I think Zaregoto is so much better than the Monogatari series really. This is actually style and substance rather than just quirky artistics. Would probably have been better still if it aired more frequently so you could keep the plot details fresh in your memory (was a little bit hard to remember everything like this) but that aside it was a pretty good show all-round
Oct 2, 2017 7:50 AM

Jul 2015
Rodric7202847 said:
The animation was so good but...I didn't understand a thing ugh. So akane and ibuki switched identities and the real akane killed ibuki?

you should rewatch it...
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Oct 2, 2017 11:00 AM
Dec 2014
I came to exact same conclusion as the Li-chan immediately after Tomo's computer was broken. Really enjoyed this show, episodes just flew by 8/10
Oct 3, 2017 1:59 PM

Oct 2012
smackells said:
I came to exact same conclusion as the Li-chan immediately after Tomo's computer was broken. Really enjoyed this show, episodes just flew by 8/10

His name is Ii-chan. Not Li-chan
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Oct 3, 2017 11:39 PM
Jan 2013
smackells said:

I don't get it. Why did she destroy Tomo's computer?
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
Oct 4, 2017 2:13 AM
Jan 2013
Lelouch_Darsi said:
smackells said:

They initially thought it was to destroy clues that Tomo and Ii-chan gathered, but that was a smokescreen to hide the fact that the real purpose was to lead Tomo and Ii-chan towards finding that the killer was indeed Akane.

Akane's whole goal was to steal the real Akane's identity.
Oct 4, 2017 2:23 AM
Jul 2018
Lelouch_Darsi said:
smackells said:

Just to confuse boku or Ii chan, same reason Shinya showed him the sleeping bag. More or less they predicted everything so that Ii chan specifically comes to that conclusion giving those hints.
Oct 4, 2017 9:11 AM

Feb 2014
Gotta say this was one of the best finale's!! Never had this much fun and wait over the twists, probably the last such show being Subete ga F ni Naru.

Animation was top notch too. And the show was just mind blowing!!
Hope to see more of the Zaregoto series!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 5, 2017 5:56 PM

Feb 2015
So I suppose the whole point is that we can't understand it. Ii-chan presented an explanation which was fairly easy to grasp once it was explained, but the reality of these geniuses being impossible to comprehend, total liars, and in the case of Akane (or whoever she was), complete psychopathic murderers. AGH, what a mindfuck. I knew they weren't just going to let the viewer get away with a satisfying explanation. We get this. Not that I can complain, and Aikawa-san was very cool. The fact that I end up feeling like Ii-chan is the point I suppose. I'll give this 8 or 9 /10. Probably a high 8/10.
Oct 6, 2017 8:34 PM

Aug 2016
That was a long episode for the finale. A lot of nonsense dialogue at the end. Ii-chan got baited by the genius and Shinya. A good adapatation but the soundtrack felt a bit weak except for the OP and ED songs.

I hope they adapt the next volumes.

7/10

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Oct 9, 2017 9:39 PM

Jul 2011
That was good twist!

Protect the smile ..

onepiecexbarcaOct 9, 2017 9:45 PM
Oct 15, 2017 12:41 AM

Jan 2014
Long_Ng said:
bananaislife360 said:

not really spoiler, but

I still don't understand why Ii-chan did are considered meaningless?
all he did was help solved the case which bothered the other genius right?
Oct 16, 2017 4:31 AM
Jun 2017
Abyhape said:

- No, he technically didn't solve the case by himself. The Murders lead his nose so he can solve it
so in the end, he only play the detective role, not one himself.
And I must say, for someone who do absolute nothing, he's one badass mofo
Oct 16, 2017 4:35 AM

Jan 2014
Long_Ng said:
Abyhape said:

- No, he technically didn't solve the case by himself. The Murders lead his nose so he can solve it
so in the end, he only play the detective role, not one himself.
And I must say, for someone who do absolute nothing, he's one badass mofo

i see, so basically the murders want him to find them, am I right?
and it's just for a challenge to see if he can solve it before all killed or not?
Oct 16, 2017 4:39 AM
Jun 2017
Abyhape said:

and it's just for a challenge to see if he can solve it before all killed or not?

- i'd recommend watch the last episode again, more closely, just so you can get it
but yes, it's all play out so that someone will solve the mystery. The Murders did all of it to get caught and get a new identity
Oct 16, 2017 4:54 AM

Jan 2014
Long_Ng said:
Abyhape said:

- i'd recommend watch the last episode again, more closely, just so you can get it
but yes, it's all play out so that someone will solve the mystery. The Murders did all of it to get caught and get a new identity

yea I understand all explanation are in the last episode.
I just got confused a little because the murders said she want to kill everyone, but then Aikawa said it's just so the murders can get a new identity.
so I think that if the murders really want a new identity, she just need to kill one person, not the whole resident.
Oct 16, 2017 8:38 AM
Jun 2017
Abyhape said:

I just got confused a little because the murders said she want to kill everyone, but then Aikawa said it's just so the murders can get a new identity.
so I think that if the murders really want a new identity, she just need to kill one person, not the whole resident.

Yes, and they in fact, only kill 1 person. The whole point of this incident is for them to get a new identity. To hide that fact, they fool every one into believe that it's a serial killer case
Oct 21, 2017 10:54 AM

Apr 2014
Damn it, loved every second of this, the directing of the episode was splendid.
Hope they continue the adaptation.
And I can't wait for the release of the OST, only few days left.. Once again an amazing job done by Kajiura Yuki.

Katsu-kunOct 22, 2017 12:26 PM
Oct 23, 2017 9:26 AM

Sep 2015
Wow we had to wait awhile for this OVA to finish. But what a strong final episode. I couldn't believe it was double length. Considering all it had left to adapt was the Epilogue. But it did so in an exciting and entertaining way. That kept mountains of exposition fresh with trademark Shaft trippy visuals. All the driving around reminded me of the ending of Utena. And the volcano representing Kunagisa's apartment at the end was some surprisingly effective imagery.

A lot of adapting this epilogue. Hinged on how interesting they could make Aikawa's character. And I'd say they pulled that off comfortably. She's one of the more amusing characters in the series. And seeing her wax poetic on motives and logic for thirty minutes made for an enjoyable victory lap. I hope they choose to adapt more stories in the Zaregoto series. Where Aikawa's a little more important.

All in all this OVA series was pretty damn good. It took them too long to make. But now that it's all out I doubt it will matter much to future viewers. It didn't always fully realize some of the tricky scenes in the novel. But it's a daunting book (and author) to adapt that's why no one has yet. Even though it came out over a decade ago. All in all the characters were well realized on the silver screen. The murder mystery was effectively communicated. The animation was occasionally gorgeous with typical Shaft weirdness. And the OP and ED were great. Wasn't a game changer. But as a Zaregoto fan not much more you can ask for. 8/10.
Oct 26, 2017 11:59 AM

Sep 2007
Long_Ng said:
Abyhape said:

Yes, and they in fact, only kill 1 person. The whole point of this incident is for them to get a new identity. To hide that fact, they fool every one into believe that it's a serial killer case

I got the impression that they would've killed more if Ii-chan hadn't figured out the switcharoo. Sonoyama/Ibuki didn't finish him off because she knew that the case was "solved", but lucky for them Ii-chan didn't even bother to figure out the actual motive for the murder (i.e. identity theft). And with only one person actually murdered it was much easier for Aikawa to figure out the motive (so in that regard, Ii-chan helped immensely). So killing half of the island's residents would be par for the course.

Only thing I don't get is the wheelchair. As much talk as there was about a "genius putting energy into 1 thing and achieving unimaginable results" I call BS if Ibuki/Sonoyama was bound to a wheelchair before, switched places and then not only walked around but vault jumped to reach a high window? Unless, of course, no one was ever bound to a wheelchair and it's just a red herring, just as the story about Iria's scars.
Oct 26, 2017 3:27 PM
Jun 2017
vanetz said:
Unless, of course, no one was ever bound to a wheelchair and it's just a red herring, just as the story about Iria's scars.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it is, nobody need wheelchair in the first place.
and i don't think they would kill anyone after their first target achieve
the only reason for that "showdown" was because she want to hear Li-tan say something truthfully for once
which he did, but only because Kusanagi get involve
Oct 26, 2017 5:54 PM

Jul 2013
vanetz said:
Long_Ng said:

I got the impression that they would've killed more if Ii-chan hadn't figured out the switcharoo. Sonoyama/Ibuki didn't finish him off because she knew that the case was "solved", but lucky for them Ii-chan didn't even bother to figure out the actual motive for the murder (i.e. identity theft). And with only one person actually murdered it was much easier for Aikawa to figure out the motive (so in that regard, Ii-chan helped immensely). So killing half of the island's residents would be par for the course.

Aikawa did say that the case was probably meant for her only after it was solved. They're leading Ii-chan around to think and do exactly what they want him to do, and they pulled it off flawlessly. Basically the genius posing as Ibuki/Sonoyama was playing everyone on her palm.

Only thing I don't get is the wheelchair. As much talk as there was about a "genius putting energy into 1 thing and achieving unimaginable results" I call BS if Ibuki/Sonoyama was bound to a wheelchair before, switched places and then not only walked around but vault jumped to reach a high window? Unless, of course, no one was ever bound to a wheelchair and it's just a red herring, just as the story about Iria's scars.

It was heavily implied that the real Ibuki (wheelchair-bound) was already killed and had her identity assumed too, way before the event on the island happened. So yeah.
EasyGo-erOct 26, 2017 6:09 PM

Oct 31, 2017 4:18 PM

Oct 2012
It was good ending I guess (the car ride was nice) even though I expected Ibuki was alive from the start (was thinking she was a switch with Rei though because of eye color and boobs size but well).

It wan't bad but it wasn't on monogatari level either. Save for one or two girls, all characters were one-trick pony and mystery wasn't so well done. I found overall feel and resolution of Subete ga F ni Naru for example a lot better than this. He used zaregoto as spell to dismiss everything that doesn't fit into his deduction way too often and that's not the way to write good mystery novel.
Also, the case was nothing special in the end, not to mention all of that deus ex machina revelation in the end (would be better if main character guessed it by himself, without help of a detective). I know that's part of an intention but I really didn't see any overbearing message in that.

6/10 It was good as a start (and I like Ii-chan and Tomo) but let's hope the further arcs (if any) would be a bit better in terms of actual plot behind the mystery.
Nov 7, 2017 3:22 PM
Feb 2015
vanetz said:
Long_Ng said:

As someone above mentioned, Someone originally stole Ibuki's identity, thus becoming Ibuki. The new Ibuki then did that whole switch around and then kill them thing with Sonoyama And thus stole Sonoyama's identity by posing as her pretending to be a serial killer to cover up the fact that she only wanted to kill one person. She led Li-chan into working out the mystery so she wouldn't have to kill more than one person in the end.
Nov 11, 2017 1:57 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
it was a surprise, this episode was the real resolution of the murder case!!!
Iria, yes, the Madam of the island, she always was disguised as a maid! It was a great surprise!!!
This last female character, tantei/detective, was spectacular how in esthetic how personality!!!
Nov 19, 2017 8:48 PM

Nov 2014
This might be the worst Shaft show I saw in recent years.. what a let down.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Where should i start? And more questions

dicloflom - Oct 29, 2023

6 by dicloflom »»
Oct 30, 2023 1:02 AM

» Why Don't Anybody talk about this masterpiece

Hikari5849 - Nov 13, 2022

19 by HigherLvLThinker »»
Aug 31, 2023 11:05 AM

» Season 2 ?

kaiki_fan_boy - Feb 19, 2021

10 by DyceAverruncus »»
Jul 17, 2023 1:03 PM

» Is it known whether the next volumes of the noveel will be adapted?

Menacek - Jun 24, 2017

8 by theslickasian »»
Apr 25, 2023 10:43 PM

» The Romaji title is wrong

MrMickeei - Jul 25, 2021

9 by Kww_121 »»
Jan 11, 2023 5:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.