Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 20, 2014 2:50 PM

Oct 2013
Now people before getting mad, just hear me out first. Is it because of the manga sales? Or is it because of world wide popularity? Dbz, Bleach, and Naruto, are really popular outside of Japan. But why is one piece apart of the big 3? I'm pretty sure one piece is mostly known in Japan, it's not really popular anywhere else, as Dbz, naruto or bleach. So Why is one piece in the big 3? is it because it's the #1 manga in Japan then?

People, keep telling me, that the big three was made from the west. but I'm pretty sure one piece is not popular in the west at all.

Tell me what u think. Also I'm not talking about now, I'm talking about when they were in their prime. People keep talking about now, I'm talking about when they were really popular.
keragammingFeb 20, 2014 3:23 PM
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 20, 2014 2:50 PM

Apr 2013
Because it's a popular long running shounen just like Bleach and Naruto.
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 20, 2014 2:51 PM

Jun 2012
#1 in Japan = #1 worldwide in terms of sales atleast.

Big three really has become an archaic term in reference to Manga.
Kuroko no Basket and Magi sell nearly 4,000,000 more volumes per year than Naruto each, why aren't they a part of the "Big 3"?

Hell, Attack on Titan tripled Naruto's sales this year, big three anyone?
Feb 20, 2014 2:54 PM

Nov 2010
Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece were the most popular long running battle shounen at the time the term was made. That's about it.
Feb 20, 2014 3:04 PM

Aug 2010
First of all, the "big 3" in terms of anime watched in Japan doesn't include any of those.
Also, Bleach isn't even a part of the main 3 shounen, although some westerners like to think so. While Bleach was popular in Japan relative to the average series, it was never NEARLY as popular as westerners think it is. And currently it's not really popular at all over there. For the most part, Bleach is dead.

Naruto isn't even what it used to be. Although it's still going and popular, I'm not sure what it ranks now.

One Piece however, is everywhere. You go to a convenience store, there's a One Piece section, you go to a normal (non manga) cafe, all volumes of One Piece and maybe DBZ are on a shelf for reading. You talk to a normal family, they probably have read/watched One Piece. Just like Dragon Ball and Z, it's something universally accepted and appreciated, where most other series are not.

Toriko is getting pretty popular in Japan from what I understand. And surprisingly, Space Brothers (it's structured like a shounen, even though it's a slice of life) climbed to the #8 most watched anime.

Also, DBZ used to be the biggest thing ever (when I was over there in October, I watched it on late night TV, it was pretty sweet), and it still technically counts as a mega shounen since it's still making a lot of money, but it stopped airing ages ago. So I wouldn't count anything that isn't still going.
ovoon7Feb 20, 2014 3:07 PM
Feb 20, 2014 3:06 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
One Piece isn't popular anywhere else o.o?
I think it's fairly popular in America..
Feb 20, 2014 3:07 PM

May 2013
"The Big Three" doesn't exist in Japan, and is not an official term to begin with. One Piece is on top in terms of sales, and stuff like Naruto and Bleach, while not bad in terms of sales, are fall below it. In fact, HxH sells more than Bleach, so....
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 20, 2014 3:10 PM

Oct 2013
ovoon7 said:
First of all, the "big 3" in terms of anime watched in Japan doesn't include any of those.
Also, Bleach isn't even a part of the main 3 shounen, although some westerners like to think so. While Bleach was popular in Japan relative to the average series, it was never NEARLY as popular as westerners think it is. And currently it's not really popular at all over there. For the most part, Bleach is dead.

Naruto isn't even what it used to be. Although it's still going and popular, I'm not sure what it ranks now.

One Piece however, is everywhere. You go to a convenience store, there's a One Piece section, you go to a normal (non manga) cafe, all volumes of One Piece and maybe DBZ are on a shelf for reading. You talk to a normal family, they probably have read/watched One Piece. Just like Dragon Ball and Z, it's something universally accepted and appreciated, where most other series are not.

Toriko is getting pretty popular in Japan from what I understand. And surprisingly, Space Brothers (it's structured like a shounen, even though it's a slice of life) climbed to the #8 most watched anime.

Also, DBZ used to be the biggest thing ever (when I was over there in October, I watched it on late night TV, it was pretty sweet), and it still technically counts as a mega shounen since it's still making a lot of money, but it stopped airing ages ago. So I wouldn't count anything that isn't still going.

You completely miss the point. Sigh....

Aug 2010
MrAM said:
"The Big Three" doesn't exist in Japan, and is not an official term to begin with. One Piece is on top in terms of sales, and stuff like Naruto and Bleach, while not bad in terms of sales, are fall below it. In fact, HxH sells more than Bleach, so....

Hunter x Hunter as a manga sells really well, even though the art is garbage, it's already considered a well known classic. My host family parents owned a few manga collections: One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, and Nana.

The anime for HxH though, I couldn't tell. I didn't really see any influence of it when I was there, aside from the new film (I nabbed a poster for it, hung it in my cubicle)

Oct 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece were the most popular long running battle shounen at the time the term was made. That's about it.

I think I'll take this one. Good answer.

Aug 2010
keragamming said:
ovoon7 said:

Ok? Explain yourself then?
Feb 20, 2014 3:11 PM

Oct 2013
MrAM said:

I'm not talking about now. I'm talking about when they were in their prime.
Feb 20, 2014 3:13 PM

Sep 2012
The Big three only exists in the west. One Piece is by far the most popular manga in Japan, and because of that, it's by far the most popular manga out there.

Also, the most recent figure in France:

http://www.9emeart.fr/post/news/general/voici-les-25-bd-les-plus-vendues-en-2013-1176

Two One Piece volume in front of the best Naruto volume.

Lol, where you at Kishimoto?
Feb 20, 2014 3:13 PM

Oct 2013
ovoon7 said:
keragamming said:
ovoon7 said:

Ok? Explain yourself then?

I'm talking about when they were really popular. Also I'm pretty sure one piece is not that popular as naruto or bleach outside of Japan.
Feb 20, 2014 3:15 PM
Aug 2011
Apart? or A part?

Doesn't matter, the answer is still: because it is #1 in my heart.
Feb 20, 2014 3:17 PM

Mar 2013
the big 3 isnt an official title it is an unofficial title made in north america because naruto, bleach and one piece are the most popular shows in north america
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Feb 20, 2014 3:19 PM

Oct 2013
SetsukoHara said:
The Big three only exists in the west. One Piece is by far the most popular manga in Japan, and because of that, it's by far the most popular manga out there.

http://www.9emeart.fr/post/news/general/voici-les-25-bd-les-plus-vendues-en-2013-1176

"The Big three only exists in the west" Then how is one piece a part of the big three then?? It's really not that popular in the west.
Feb 20, 2014 3:21 PM

Feb 2014
mattbenz99 said:
the big 3 isnt an official title it is an unofficial title made in north america because naruto, bleach and one piece are the most popular shows in north america

Well, one piece isn't popular in the west.... So how?
When having a conversation with me, or debate, don't be sexes.
Feb 20, 2014 3:25 PM

Nov 2010
Raven_Baby-Gurl said:
mattbenz99 said:

Well, one piece isn't popular in the west.... So how?
But it is popular in the west. Not being as popular as Bleach or Naruto in the west =/= not popular.
Feb 20, 2014 3:25 PM

Oct 2010
You can't really, accurately measure the One Piece popularity by sales in the West, ironically, because pirates.

Then again the Big 3 concept is a fan construction and it should just be treated like that.
Feb 20, 2014 3:26 PM
Sep 2013
one piece is big where manga is more popular than anime.

Japan,France,China…

western people tend to less like one piece because it seems fake to them,while Japanese tend to less like naruto because it seems fake to Japanese
Feb 20, 2014 3:26 PM

Sep 2012
keragamming said:
SetsukoHara said:

"The Big three only exists in the west" Then how is one piece a part of the big three then?? It's really not that popular in the west.

It is. I showed you it is the most popular in France, and it's quite popular in the US. The rest doesn't matter sorry.
Feb 20, 2014 3:27 PM

Jun 2012
Very ignoarnt when you say it's only popular in Japan
Feb 20, 2014 3:28 PM

Feb 2014
umashikaneko said:
one piece is big where manga is popular than anime.

Japan,France,China…

western people tend to less like one piece because it seems fake to them,while Japanese tend to less like naruto because it seems fake to Japanese

Stupid comment. Even in these bad times naruto is still selling well in Japan.
When having a conversation with me, or debate, don't be sexes.
Feb 20, 2014 3:30 PM

Oct 2013
trunghuynh90 said:

It's a fact go looks up one piece sales outside of Japan then. In the west it's really not popular. Look at the comments not one person disagree, because it's true.
Feb 20, 2014 3:30 PM

Sep 2012
Raven_Baby-Gurl said:
umashikaneko said:
one piece is big where manga is popular than anime.

Japan,France,China…

Stupid comment. Even in these bad times naruto is still selling well in Japan.

Not as much as One Piece though, which is the whole point of this thread if you haven't noticed it.
Feb 20, 2014 3:31 PM

Sep 2012
keragamming said:
trunghuynh90 said:

It's a fact go looks up one piece sales outside of Japan then. In the west it's really not popular. Look at the comments not one person disagree, because it's true.

I disagree, but you conveniently chose to ignore my posts.
Feb 20, 2014 3:34 PM

Oct 2013
SetsukoHara said:
keragamming said:
trunghuynh90 said:

Give me some English speaking language that one piece has good sales in. France wont cut it.
Feb 20, 2014 3:34 PM

Apr 2011
1) It's still on-going

2) It's the number one selling manga in Japan
Feb 20, 2014 3:35 PM

Apr 2013
keragamming said:
SetsukoHara said:
keragamming said:
trunghuynh90 said:

Give me some English speaking language that one piece has good sales in. France wont cut it.
Why does it have to be English? France is pretty western.
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 20, 2014 3:41 PM

Oct 2013
Emnay said:
keragamming said:
SetsukoHara said:
keragamming said:
trunghuynh90 said:

Why does it have to be English? France is pretty western.

Yea, but English is a pretty common language.

Sep 2012
keragamming said:

France is one of the biggest western market if you don't know. I don't know that much about the other market, but I see from time to time this NY times thread in the news forum and One Piece is often thre;

Dec 2013
Because there were 3 successful long running battle shonens when people in the west thought of the name...
Feb 20, 2014 3:42 PM

Oct 2013
SetsukoHara said:
keragamming said:

France is one of the biggest western market if you don't know. I don't know that much about the other market, but I see from time to time this NY times thread in the news forum and One Piece is often thre;

Nope. I've never seen one piece on NY times.
Feb 20, 2014 3:44 PM

Oct 2013
cruzateu said:
Because there were 3 successful long running battle shonens when people in the west thought of the name...

But it's not as popular in the west as dbz bleach and naruto, or full metal alchemist or attack on titan, or sword art online, ect u get my drift? It's really not that popular out side of Japan compare to these few examples. From seeing these comments, I've come to the conclusion that one piece made it into the big three because it's #1 in Japan.
keragammingFeb 20, 2014 3:47 PM
Feb 20, 2014 3:48 PM

Sep 2012
keragamming said:
SetsukoHara said:
keragamming said:

I'm talking about the NY best sellers thread. If you haven't seen One piece, you're not paying attention.

http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2013-12-22/manga/list.html
http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2013-12-29/manga/list.html
http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2014-01-05/manga/list.html

You're ridiculous!
Feb 20, 2014 3:48 PM

Nov 2012
keragamming said:
SetsukoHara said:
keragamming said:

http://nihongogo.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/One-Piece-Ad-in-New-York-Times-Celebrates-300-Million-Books-Sold-3-1024x768.jpg

Feb 20, 2014 3:51 PM

Jan 2012
Because ignoring the sales,it puts every shounen in existance to shame without even trying to hard...the story is just that good
Feb 20, 2014 3:56 PM

Apr 2013
SetsukoHara said:
keragamming said:
SetsukoHara said:
keragamming said:

I'm talking about the NY best sellers thread. If you haven't seen One piece, you're not paying attention.

http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2013-12-22/manga/list.html
http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2013-12-29/manga/list.html
http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2014-01-05/manga/list.html

You're ridiculous!

Attack on Titan is really high on those. Let's replace bleach with that.

renders said:
Because ignoring the sales,it puts every shounen in existance to shame without even trying to hard...the story is just that good

Yes
Feb 20, 2014 3:56 PM

Oct 2011
ANyone talking shit about One Piece is on my list... You don't wanna know what kind of list
Feb 20, 2014 3:58 PM
Mar 2013
Fairy Tail is going to replace One Piece in a few years anyway

Fairy Tail>All other shounen
Feb 20, 2014 4:01 PM

Aug 2012
-> No asspulls
-> The best long-running battle shounen ever created
-> #1 manga sales in Japan (do you even realize what that means?)
-> Every anime fan knows One Piece and watched some of it

Also this.

Now, if you ask me why Bleach is part of the Big 3, that I can't answer.
Feb 20, 2014 4:02 PM

Oct 2013
bloodgods said:
ANyone talking shit about One Piece is on my list... You don't wanna know what kind of list

Did u even read my post?
Feb 20, 2014 4:04 PM

Nov 2012
Hope this thread doesn't derail into One Piece vs Non-One Piece fans..

A lot of my real life friends in the USofA who are into anime don't like one piece or just haven't tried it honestly. Common reasons I receive for them not liking or trying it: "I don't like the way the characters/art style look," "it's too damn long" or "Luffy is retarded, unwatchable." I can at least garner that there are a good number of one piece manga fans in the US from numerous forums online I guess.

I think its okay. I enjoy some arcs, other arcs I don't enjoy much at all. I'm caught up with the manga.
Feb 20, 2014 4:06 PM

Dec 2013
I'd vaguely heard of One Piece before getting into anime (U.S.), but not Bleach or Naruto. I'm surprised that in anime sales Bleach is the only one in the top 100. (#84)
Feb 20, 2014 4:13 PM

Jan 2014
Now that this thread already got answers, I've always wanted to say fanboying thing like this:

"Oh, yes! One Piece shouldn't be part of big 3! It should be part of holy great 1 alone. Naruto, Bleach, Kuroko no Basuke, maybe SnK, FT, and Magi can form kind-of-big-6 or something."
Feb 20, 2014 4:19 PM

Oct 2011
keragamming said:
bloodgods said:

Did u even read my post?
Yes I did, I was speaking in general to everyone on the thread
Feb 20, 2014 4:21 PM

Apr 2013
JD2411 said:
Yes because travelling to one island, beating up random bad guys and leaving again is a surefire way to find One Piece.
If I was blind I couldn't read or watch it and if I lived in another world I wouldn't be talking to you right now

Dude. Have you been paying attention to the plot!? They are following the log pose, which will eventually lead them to the last island, which has the one piece.
rodacFeb 21, 2014 7:07 PM
Feb 20, 2014 4:23 PM

Jan 2012

at least they're f-ing looking for the one piece unlike natsu and the dragon
and they are all f-ing training
TRAINING=does not exist in fairy tail
btw when was the last time they read a book to use a flipping spell?
rodacFeb 21, 2014 7:08 PM
Feb 20, 2014 4:23 PM

Jan 2014
US =/= everywhere else in the world.
That constant misconception is tiring, and only shows a sort of ignorance. One Piece is bigger than the others in Asia which in case you don't know your geography is a far bigger continent than North America, not to talk of the US alone.

Someone has already provided figures for France, and I will say that though there isn't as big an anime community here in Canada, One Piece is pretty much just as popular as Naruto online and in stores.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 32 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Oct 10, 2009

56 by TheStarscream759 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 445 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Apr 3, 2010

99 by bakakisima »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 444 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Mar 27, 2010

90 by bakakisima »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 443 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Mar 20, 2010

92 by bakakisima »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 442 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Mar 13, 2010

85 by bakakisima »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.