Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
BAKI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 16, 2018 9:26 AM

Dec 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
and so concludes this season of Baki. though, the main focus of this season was on Most Evil Death Row Convicts Saga, the last two episodes were introduction to Great Chinese Challenge Saga with Baki entering the Raitai Tournament with this cliffhanger ending. possibly a new season in the future? who knows
Dec 16, 2018 9:27 AM

Sep 2017
Well, with a teaser for a next season and the Raitai tournament, this series ends. I am very conflicted about this series. On one hand, I absolutely love its insane and visceral way of portraying fights, but on the other, I absolutely hate the poor production and animation that makes it pale in comparison to the aesthetic greatness of the manga.

Overall, I can't give it more than a 5 and tell people to read the manga, because it's far more enjoyable than this animation. If you want to continue with the story reading the manga, start from chapter 174 of New Grappler Baki to see the Raitai tournament.
miguitronikDec 20, 2018 11:56 AM
Dec 16, 2018 10:34 AM

May 2012
miguitronik said:

Overall, I can't give it more than a 5 and tell people to read the manga, because it's far more enjoyable than this animarion. If you want to continue with the story reading the manga, start from chapter 174 of New Grappler Baki to see the Raitai tournament.

Manga with no color, no animation/moment, and no voice acting is more enjoyable than Anime ?!

no thanks. I rather watch anime over lifeless manga.
Dec 16, 2018 11:43 AM
Apr 2015
miguitronik said:
Well, with a teaser for a next season and the Raitai tournament, this series ends. I am very conflicted about this series. On one hand, I absolutely love its insane and visceral way of portraying fights, but on the other, I absolutely hate the poor production and animation that makes it pale in comparison to the aesthetic greatness of the manga.

Overall, I can't give it more than a 5 and tell people to read the manga, because it's far more enjoyable than this animarion. If you want to continue with the story reading the manga, start from chapter 174 of New Grappler Baki to see the Raitai tournament.

I don't agree

Baki great anime
Dec 16, 2018 11:45 AM
Apr 2015
Best shounen anime in 2018

9/10
Dec 16, 2018 11:51 AM

Apr 2014
it was great to see baki come back to anime

and this was a great season , now only thing to say is i am hoping they make more anime of this series and this next arc looks like its gonna be insane and i would love to see it animated

but idk how long it'll take for a new season to happen so guess this is the perfect time to start up the manga
"one step at a time"
Dec 16, 2018 12:10 PM

Feb 2013
Lol, we need a new season fast because the tournament will be awesome!
Dec 16, 2018 1:37 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
All is ready for a new tournament, but here the unknown is Baki, he has the poison in his body yet!!!
Well, in the next we will discover how to evolve this tragic plot for Baki and we will discover if he is stronger than his father!!! kekeke
Dec 16, 2018 3:08 PM

Feb 2018
It's a shame the production value was pretty damn low
miguitronik said:
On one hand, I absolutely love its insane and visceral way of portraying fights, but on the other, I absolutely hate the poor production and animation

Yup
Ulquiorra said:

Hopefully next year
Dec 16, 2018 3:17 PM

Sep 2013
Very good season overall,it was faithful to the manga,looked beautiful (except for the CGI of course) and it was the return Baki deserved,now they concluded on the biggest cock tease,next arc is freaking awesome and it would be a shame if it wasn't animated but i'm not losing hope yet.

Overall solid 8.5/10 (would have put 9 if not for the CGI)
Deep dark fantasies
Dec 16, 2018 3:38 PM
Apr 2015
BourBon-7so said:
It's a shame the production value was pretty damn low
miguitronik said:
On one hand, I absolutely love its insane and visceral way of portraying fights, but on the other, I absolutely hate the poor production and animation

Yup
Ulquiorra said:

Hopefully next year

Right
But in some episodes they done well
Also soundtrack was so good
Dec 16, 2018 6:16 PM

Jul 2009
Please announce the next season sometime next year!!

While waiting. Everyone should check out "Kengan Ashura" which is similar to Baki and even uses a similar animation

Gonna be amazing since we have a lot of fighting Anime still :)

I need to watch Souten no Ken(Fist of the Blue Sky) soon, but I'm waiting on the BD's :D

9/10 for me!
Dec 16, 2018 9:35 PM

Sep 2010
So seems like this whole show was a setup for this tournament. I like the tournament structure a lot better for Baki. This show just seemed to ramble around everywhere leaving loose threads.
Dec 17, 2018 4:08 AM
Nov 2016
SomaHeir said:

While waiting. Everyone should check out "Kengan Ashura" which is similar to Baki and even uses a similar animation

I need to watch Souten no Ken(Fist of the Blue Sky) soon, but I'm waiting on the BD's :D

9/10 for me!

Wait they're using similar animation?? They shouldn't mess up kengan ashura with that crappy cgi they occasionally used in baki.....i love kengan ashua too much to see that
Dec 17, 2018 6:41 AM
Sep 2017
ropiel said:
Very good season overall,it was faithful to the manga,looked beautiful (except for the CGI of course) and it was the return Baki deserved,now they concluded on the biggest cock tease,next arc is freaking awesome and it would be a shame if it wasn't animated but i'm not losing hope yet.

Overall solid 8.5/10 (would have put 9 if not for the CGI)

Exactly how i feel. I'm so sad that the first half was full of shit cgi. The second part had almost none and was much better as a result. I really hope they'll make a sequel. Anyway on to the manga now.
Dec 17, 2018 6:46 AM

Apr 2013
SomaHeir said:

9/10 for me!

Oh shit!! Kegan Ashura is getting an adaptation? Fk yes!! I love it. The series has some rly good fight and fighters. fk yes yes yes
Dec 17, 2018 8:35 AM

Nov 2016
Definitely my favorite season so far, even tho I still liked the beginning in Grappler more.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 17, 2018 5:01 PM
Aug 2017
SomaHeir said:

9/10 for me!

Hell yeah!! Kenyan Ashura is f*cking sick!!
Dec 17, 2018 5:03 PM
Aug 2017
miguitronik said:

Thanks, ive been looking for where it leaves of in the manga
Dec 17, 2018 5:05 PM

Oct 2008
They should have called this something other than Baki, maybe something like "Prisoners that can sort of fight; Over hyped gathering in Japan (Baki was there too)".

The fighting was pretty fun to watch, but it was worse overall than I expected. It was not a good intro to the Baki franchise. Seems all of the characters intros, story and other developments all have been handled elsewhere and this was simply a brainless violence without any developments. They could have added a couple minute intro in the first ep to at least let people know that a whole bunch of stuff went down before this.

The prisoners themselves were not that impressive either. For a bunch that broke out of the prison "looking for defeat" some of them surely had pathetic endings crying in defeat. I was expecting them to make more of an impact apart from poisoning Baki to set up the next arc. Which I should add seems like it will be more interesting than this arc.

Finally, they should have decided against using CGI. If they couldn't afford to properly animate fighting sequences then they should have opted for using still images instead. Their CGI was just not that good and completely ruined some of the fights.
Dec 18, 2018 8:33 AM
Apr 2015
akihikosama said:
They should have called this something other than Baki, maybe something like "Prisoners that can sort of fight; Over hyped gathering in Japan (Baki was there too)".

The fighting was pretty fun to watch, but it was worse overall than I expected. It was not a good intro to the Baki franchise. Seems all of the characters intros, story and other developments all have been handled elsewhere and this was simply a brainless violence without any developments. They could have added a couple minute intro in the first ep to at least let people know that a whole bunch of stuff went down before this.

The prisoners themselves were not that impressive either. For a bunch that broke out of the prison "looking for defeat" some of them surely had pathetic endings crying in defeat. I was expecting them to make more of an impact apart from poisoning Baki to set up the next arc. Which I should add seems like it will be more interesting than this arc.

Finally, they should have decided against using CGI. If they couldn't afford to properly animate fighting sequences then they should have opted for using still images instead. Their CGI was just not that good and completely ruined some of the fights.

They could have added a couple minute intro in the first ep to at least let people know that a whole bunch of stuff went down before this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must watch baki 2001 before this
If you want understand devlopment characters and Relationship each other
I don't understand people watch baki 2018
Without watch prequel
Baki 2001 very important
Dec 18, 2018 9:20 AM

Oct 2013
That was a wierd anti-climatic way to end it.

6/10
Dec 18, 2018 9:21 AM

Oct 2013
That was a wierd anti-climatic way to end it.

6/10
Dec 18, 2018 7:46 PM

Apr 2014
Gonna miss the OP 2 where Baki looks like Kenshiro.
Dec 19, 2018 1:32 PM
May 2016
Esse anime foi capaz de rever valores no entorno das artes marciais com os quais convivia, mas somente agora pude entender com maior propriedade.
Tem inclusive um ponto de vista dedicado ao relacionamento conjugal, o que achei genial!
Recomendo esse anime para quem tem estômago forte e tem ao menos uma lenda das artes mairciais em mente!
Dec 19, 2018 8:01 PM

Oct 2008
damn I want more NETFLIX BAKI!
waiting for S2!!!

Dec 29, 2018 5:53 AM

Oct 2012
The criminals are kinda disappointing
The buildup is pretty nice
Hanayama vs. Speck is awesome
Then it all went downhill for me

Season 1 is probably the most exciting Baki for me

I know they're teasing for next season
The problem is Baki is not popular at all unlike Devilman Crybaby
So well, I guess this is a goodbye
I can only hope that Baki is popular enough to get sequel
"Signature removed"
Dec 29, 2018 10:28 AM
Jun 2016
so we get new season ??? i think so but after 6 month to 1 year ! ! !
Jan 4, 2019 9:07 PM
Aug 2017
Damn, next season pls
Jan 6, 2019 11:38 AM

Apr 2016
I've loved this series so much, but the long years between each season is really disheartening ;(

Here's hoping it doesn't take too long this time, I'm so hyped for Baki to return.
Feb 1, 2019 7:42 AM

Mar 2012
it finally ends and doesn't even give us a conclusion to Baki's poison predicament or any hints if there is going to be another season.

Overall this season was better than last 2 seasons simply because of better ost and uncensored violence but still its pretty crap, the fights themselves were hardly fights they were just one sided poundings most of the time and the convicts were hyped to be ridiculously strong but they got their asses whooped, no tension or consequence to any fight as no one dies no matter how injured they get

Baki hardly did anything the entire season other than get laid XD

4/10
Cain_7Feb 1, 2019 7:52 AM
Feb 4, 2019 4:19 AM
Apr 2015
Cain_7 said:
it finally ends and doesn't even give us a conclusion to Baki's poison predicament or any hints if there is going to be another season.

Overall this season was better than last 2 seasons simply because of better ost and uncensored violence but still its pretty crap, the fights themselves were hardly fights they were just one sided poundings most of the time and the convicts were hyped to be ridiculously strong but they got their asses whooped, no tension or consequence to any fight as no one dies no matter how injured they get

Baki hardly did anything the entire season other than get laid XD

4/10

4/10 !!!!

Speck vs hanayama was amazing
Also apeear oliva the best charecter
Your score stupid
Apr 15, 2019 1:13 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The death row inmates arc kinda got lost in the ending. I missed some more dramatic focus. And the ending was one big teaser for the next season.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 22, 2019 4:59 PM
Apr 2015
Farabeuf said:
The death row inmates arc kinda got lost in the ending. I missed some more dramatic focus. And the ending was one big teaser for the next season.

First half in death row arc was amazing
Second half was avrege
Jul 30, 2019 8:48 AM

Dec 2015
So this was a bit similar to the previous arc - where in the 2nd old series at the tournament they had background stuff with Yujiro from the past. (When he was in military/africa somewhere.) Now we had the backgroudn stuff with Ali previous episode.

Not ending at the prisoner arc directly but more like this is the first episode/introduction of the next arc already.

I think it was a good way. I would have wondered as to what is going on with the poison. With it endling like that I'm actually looking forward to the tournament. I guess fighting keeps his spirits high - which will help healing. (+ some chinese medicine.)

Then we have some nice fighters with Ali and Yujiro and I guess some of the chinese will be fun as well.

Previous tournament: I liked it. Hopefully this one will be nice as well. I still hope to see some of the other chars back at some point in the future of the plot.

Kureha was nice as doctor. And Doppo always was fun. I liked Shibukawa Goki from the minor chars (which I liked more than Baki) #2 while Doppo was my #1. Now I think Goki is better.

Then again the prisoners were fun and all the other new chars. Ali jr surely will be fun.

But the award for weirdest face goes to the master of Yanagi who only appered when Tokugawa visited him. (And in the ending of course. ;) )

8/10 for me for this season. As for the others - I scored them same. Only the single OVA episdodes were worse. This one got more action/gore and fun. Thought he backgrounds/plot felt random and not connected that well. Still fun.

Especially Oliva could have gotten more screen time. Then them "cleaning up" at the end. Spec and Dorian felt nice. Sikorsky as well. Yanagi got trashed too fast. He only really used poison at the beginning. (And later at Baki when it didn't really kick in at that time.) Same for Doyle who got nice scenes ... but they could just have let him escape. That 1-2 minuts with Oliva finding him ... felt not nice. Too fast.
Aug 25, 2019 12:31 PM

May 2012
Damn that was quite the anime! Really impressive action and general pacing.. Really shame that they cut it right there and with such an open ending I really want a follow up on it! Really liked it in general and while sometimes the cgi bothered me a bit where they mixed it in with normal drawing, it still was superb!
Nov 8, 2019 1:17 AM

Jul 2013
We finally get to see Yujiro Hanma fight and the show fucking ends what the hell. Also how will fighting save Baki? Whatever this show was very entertaining, takes gar to a whole new level. I hope there will be sequels.

Dec 22, 2019 3:40 PM

Jul 2015
So a teaser for the Raitai tournament, I'm not sure how participating will help Baki as that wasn't really explained.
I'm a bit disappointed in the way the prisoners arc has ended. The first two prisoners, Spech and Dorian were pretty great, doyle's fights were okay but the fights of Sirkovsky and Yanagi felt really underwhelming with all the build up they got as characters. Sirkovsky only dominated Igari but other than that he, and also Yanagi, got his ass beaten multiple times. Yanagi had a good arsenal of weapons but only used most of them once, like what happened to that vacuum technique at the start of the series?

Apr 8, 2020 7:11 PM

Dec 2015
This was a a great comedy some of the fight were hilarious
May 7, 2020 10:09 AM

Mar 2012
How is he able to fight in that condition and how do they expect him to fight even stronger opponents?? The fact that having him fight is supposed to cure him in the first place is just too ridiculous, even for this show.

A very underwhelming season and mediocre on its own. The prisoners were hyped like crazy but ended up getting their asses handed by every single character the show could throw at them and Baki was completely useless until he got laid.

Yuujiro barely lifted a finger and felt out of character compared to how ruthless he was in the previous seasons. The character design changes were also distracting and for the most part a downgrade. Soundtrack wasn't as stylish either and the use of CG in certain fights was bizarre.

What a complete letdown, I really did enjoy the first season (felt it was the best one) and S2 was alright but it feels like the more the story "progresses" the less enjoyable it becomes. It's like Baki's drive to defeat his father and avenge his mother completely died out and we only got to see a small glimpse of it when they mentioned that Yuujiro will enter the upcoming tournament.

It also doesn't help that he was basically sidelined for the majority of the season with the fights being split between too many characters. Something which began to happen in S2.
Jun 8, 2020 6:12 PM

Aug 2013
Honestly, this next arc looks like it'll be quite good, but damn; such a let down from the 2001 series. The first arc was still the best just on the fact it had an actual story and character development. Then the Maximum Tournament atleast had some really good fights to make up for the lack of story. This was just absolutely terrible. No character development happened at all, and all the fights (Outside of Hanayama Vs Speck and Kato Vs Dorian) were fucking awful. 6/10, but still excited for the future of the series
Dec 14, 2020 5:20 AM
Apr 2016
How how how how will this help Baki heal?! I just... can't... Stupidity aside, it looks quite interesting! Somewhat looking forward to the next season!

Oh, and this season was total bullshit! 3.5/10 (rounding to 4).
Dec 24, 2020 8:28 PM
Jul 2018
This may seem very trivial, but did anyone else notice how the announcer said there was twelve planets in the solar system???

Unless I'm missing something and at one point the Chinese (where the tournament is) considered there to be twelve planets...

I Googled it, and apparently, a couple of astronomers have proposed the addition of Ceres, Charon, and Eris to the pre-existing nine (including Pluto, back then).
Dec 24, 2020 8:32 PM
Jul 2018
I give the series an 8/10 overall due to ambition alone, in a production sense and a premise sense. It is certainly a unique anime. I like how each of the five convicts received their own arcs and plot points.

There was some seriously bad moments too, not to mention Baki was the least common (main) character in his own show, which raises some eyebrows. But there WAS a whole story beforehand focusing on an underground fight, and of course there's the second (Netflix) season which will focus on the Chinese tournament, which HOPEFULLY features more of Baki?

I liked the series, though. Kudos to the people who had to fluidly animate the plethora of hulking masses in combat. I've only seen the first season of JoJo but I can honestly say it was done better here.

(Also, trivial observation, but does anyone remember the CGI throughout this first season. It only appeared like two or three times -- more towards the beginning. I can understand using CGI if it's going to be sprinkled in throughout the whole duration of the series... but given how SCARCE the CGI was throughout the season, why couldn't they have just braved it out and traditionally animated those couple of scenes? Wouldn't it have taken just another week or two?)
Jan 11, 2021 5:37 PM

May 2016
Silly me, thinking that Retsu would let Baki try some experimental medicine. I have to admit that I was as confused as Kozue when the solution they came up with is to have a dying and emaciated kid fight in a tournament with absurdly powerful martial artists including his old man.

Mind over matter's the most likely explanation, seeing how fighting in a more traditional-styled tournament would give him a goal to accomplish, restoring his will to live on. The flesh will eventually give in to sheer willpower, no doubt.

I'm surprised that the whole convict situation was done and over with rather anticlimactically, with them moving onto the next arc almost immediately. There's no denying that the poison's still there, though.

Mar 29, 2021 8:09 AM
Apr 2009
Very confusing yet compelling to some degree anime.

It felt like the five prisoners went from OP, to weak, to all unique, to all using weapons, to all switching or not using their respected styles, to sometimes laughable endings.

I also thought he went to China to get their herbs in trade for participating in the tournament..instead they let a dying man enter a tournament haha.

Having said that this was very entertaining. I'm glad I caught up and can finally watch the tournament. 7/10
May 29, 2021 11:18 AM

Aug 2018
Yujiro is going to dominate at the chinese tournament!

This season was shit, baki the grappler was way better. 2/10

Jul 3, 2022 2:26 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
The build-up to this tournament feels so immense. I can't wait.
Aug 26, 2022 1:27 AM
Jul 2021
the episode was very thrilling

Sep 11, 2022 6:15 AM
Apr 2020
Just bad in general.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baki Episode 2 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 9, 2018

21 by Licentai »»
Apr 8, 6:34 AM

» what is baki even about 💀 ☠️ 😭😭

lolylolydab - Mar 7

10 by MisterMichael »»
Mar 11, 1:59 AM

» Why does Baki feel undiscussed on MAL?

Zimmu - Mar 7

9 by Liberandum_ »»
Mar 7, 4:46 PM

Poll: » Baki Episode 5 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 9, 2018

24 by 0YukiPlays0 »»
Feb 25, 8:17 PM

Poll: » Baki Episode 1 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 9, 2018

23 by ItalianChicken »»
Jan 29, 8:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.