3It was OK
13.6%
2Disliked it
4.5%
1Hated it
4.5%
Average 4.1
44 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 15, 2013 10:02 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I admit the episode kinda made me hungry.

And lol, what the hell is Nagi looking @ at that store? Ha. I never knew she was interested in that stuff. Episode was okay I guess. Isumi was funny to watch imo.

Apr 15, 2013 11:11 AM

Nov 2007
This episode confirms it. Cuties is an anime made exclusively for the manga readers. The content is all from the random comedy filler chapters of the manga, but it doesn't even care WHAT chapter they adapt.
The complete change in setting from part A and B also confirms this is not aiming to be part of a specific canon timeline, which in a way makes things better.
THEY EVEN TRIED TO EXPLAIN WHY NAGI IS IN THE APARTMENT EVEN THOUGH SHE IS LIVING IN THE MANSION? This could only mean that this really IS a sequel to CTMEOY, but they are burning manga content of events that happened BEFORE it....goddammit Hata pls stop.
I do feel bad for the anime only watchers. Especially because next week is finally the moment I have been waiting for a LONG time! A-tan animated! I doubt they will bother explaining to non manga readers who she is though, given what they did this episode. I guess we'll see soon.

Oh about the actual episode...well it's a Nagi episode, so it was expected to be boring even if they use manga content.
game8910Apr 15, 2013 12:07 PM
Apr 15, 2013 11:46 AM

Sep 2011
Yep. This is for Manga ONLY readers. If you haven't read to at least mid chapters 2xx; you won't understand shit. A-Tan next<333333333
Apr 15, 2013 12:31 PM

Jul 2009
I want my real season 3.
dafaq.
Apr 15, 2013 12:33 PM

May 2012
That's it. The Hayate no Gotoku anime is a lost case. There's no way to fix the damage done. Next week's episode will be the final nail in the coffin.

That being said, excluding all the crap they've done with the timeline, this has been a pretty good adaptation.... so yeah. Good fun.
Can't wait to see A-tan next week. And Armageddon too. lol

Now everyone who love the series, go read the manga. Period.
Apr 15, 2013 12:43 PM

Aug 2010
Screw everything. Nxt up is A-tan *Idiotic Grin*
Apr 15, 2013 12:44 PM

May 2012
Barion-Zara said:
Screw everything. Nxt up is A-tan *Idiotic Grin*

Hell yeah!
Apr 15, 2013 1:47 PM

Nov 2010
I just noticed: Nagi, Maria and Hayate are back in Sanzenin mansion despite Cuties using chapters 350-400? Did Hououin Kyouma make the storyline?
astroprogs said:
If HF ended up being a single movie, what would it need to do so it can get a high score from all of you?

Not air.
Apr 15, 2013 2:02 PM

Sep 2011
Aurioch said:
I just noticed: Nagi, Maria and Hayate are back in Sanzenin mansion despite Cuties using chapters 350-400? Did Hououin Kyouma make the storyline?

They were in the mansion, but the second half of episode they were back in the Violet Mansion.
Apr 15, 2013 2:30 PM

Mar 2012
Wut, how come sometime there are scenes at the old rich mansion, kinda confusing lol..
Keep moving forward
Apr 15, 2013 2:44 PM

Sep 2011
2easy4AgEnT said:
Wut, how come sometime there are scenes at the old rich mansion, kinda confusing lol..

Could of been Flashbacks? Because it had some little Commercial type thing w/ that Fish, then it went to the Older mansion.
Apr 15, 2013 2:57 PM

Feb 2012
I liked the episode for what it was. Even though it took from 2 different places from the manga, it was in the manga which made me happy. I think I would of enjoyed it either way but still :3 I didn't expect A-tan to be next, can't wait for next week :D
Apr 15, 2013 3:07 PM

Apr 2011
Someone make a gif of Maria pulling the plug on COD right now!
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Apr 15, 2013 3:31 PM

Sep 2012
As I thought, This new season will be jumping all over the place in the manga.
So long as you yourself enjoy it, what does the thoughts of others matter to you?
Apr 15, 2013 4:30 PM
Jul 2011
I really enjoy just watching them do stuff and interact, so I finished this episode with a good feeling.

But, wow... The plot is incoherent and all over the place as I haven't read the manga. Just when I accepted not understanding why the hell they all share one apartment, everything is back to normal again and on MAL I read about how much and in which direction they skipped this time :-S

I guess I'll just continue watching this for the characters and situations as those are good enough so far. Maybe that was their intention when producing this - who knows... The part about the adult DVD was great in any case :-)
Apr 15, 2013 5:30 PM

Oct 2012
even maria was scared XD
Apr 15, 2013 6:21 PM

Jan 2011
Soshintsu said:

But, wow... The plot is incoherent and all over the place as I haven't read the manga. Just when I accepted not understanding why the hell they all share one apartment, everything is back to normal again and on MAL I read about how much and in which direction they skipped this time :-S

I guess I'll just continue watching this for the characters and situations as those are good enough so far. Maybe that was their intention when producing this - who knows...
pretty much sums up my thoughts too.
Apr 15, 2013 6:22 PM

May 2012
Tyrel said:
2easy4AgEnT said:

Could of been Flashbacks? Because it had some little Commercial type thing w/ that Fish, then it went to the Older mansion.

No, I dont think they were flashbacks... I remember Hayate or Maria commented that Nagi had woken up early on the day before, thus making the second half of the episode the day after (1st half = Sunday. 2nd half = Monday).

I was suspecting that this was set before CTMEOY before, but now I'm leaning towards the opposite. AFTER CTMEOY sounds more plausible,

From what I can tell, at least, it seems like Nagi switches from staying at the Mansion and Yukari-chan's house from time to time. After all, she owns both places anyway. I know there are many inconsistencies, but that's to be expected. All we can do is shrug them off and enjoy this show as much as we can. That's what I'm trying to do, at least...

It seems like the only reason we got these new seasons is probably because Shounen Sunday is financing them. I can't find another explanation. So, perhaps they are trying to promote their own sales by doing all this mess, nagging fans into reading the manga?

So, think of this season as.... more of a "manga-readers fanservice"?
JPblueserApr 15, 2013 6:40 PM
Apr 15, 2013 6:25 PM

Nov 2007
Nagi's ep. When she's in her gorgeous house vs. in the dorm.

First time waking up early and realized that it's good to wake up early. Scrambled egg and tomatoes are good, and she just realized it.

Horror R-18?? lol @ talking about that while Nagi's there.

Not wanting to go to school because of rain. lol @ Conan's phrase as one of suggestions. Interesting... money of life by Maria moved her.

Nagi's ED: "Asterisk (アスタリスク)" , and next is the new girl that just appeared this season (while she IS from manga).
tsubasaloverApr 15, 2013 6:30 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 15, 2013 7:50 PM

Mar 2012
Honestly I like this better. Even if they don't use the timeline I find this more fitting for Hayate. And next episode we have A-tan and god of poverty Hayate to make 100million yen lost.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 15, 2013 8:40 PM

Jan 2008
Lol'd at her playing CoD.
Apr 15, 2013 9:29 PM
Apr 2013
Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties is an okay anime, fun to watch.
Apr 15, 2013 9:38 PM

May 2008
Im actually enjoying this more then i thought i would . The ending song is so rie i love it XD. Man they are just taking chapters at random timings here huh .

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 15, 2013 11:11 PM

Dec 2012
This anime is so random! I still don't know whether or not I like this style but I do feel sorry for fans who haven't read the manga as most of the content is taken from it.

Next is A-tan C:
Apr 16, 2013 12:49 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
*read comments about this is only for manga readers*

Well, no wonder I found the first and second episode preeeeetty boring~ Well it's an episode per week. I'll manage but pity I'll have to score the series low :/
Apr 16, 2013 4:42 AM

Jan 2010
This shit's getting worse and worse.
I'm willing to forgive that some of the characters are thrown to the show without any explanation or logic (Athena!!!).
I may overlook crappy characters design (seriously, it's like director said to animators "Draw this character in ten seconds, or I'll chop off your nuts". ).
Unfunny jokes? Well, this won't do. But that's not all. They're totally repeating jokes that were used before! And it's not like they're running gags.

So... Nagi doesn't want to go to school and Hayate is trying to convince her to do that. Gee, we TOTALLY didn't see that before! I know that this episode was dedicated to Nagi only, but... Really? Is this REALLY the best you could think of?

Rest in Peace, Hayate no Gotoku. You'll always be one of the best shows I've ever seen. May those two last abominations be forgotten forever.
Apr 16, 2013 8:54 AM
Oct 2011
Did I see Nagi playing Call of Duty Black Ops 2?
Also, the "Just as Planned" moment after renting all those DVD's was priceless.
Apr 16, 2013 9:06 AM
Jan 2011
Oh dear nagi is still as lazy as she was.

Maria's life lesson for Nagi is really great and has some realism in it.
Nasty001Apr 16, 2013 9:12 AM
Apr 16, 2013 9:59 AM

May 2012
I'm so conflicted on this season...Everything's just jumping everywhere.

It can't be part of any Hayate timeline but its own. At least CTMEoY could fit as the future of the manga, sans a few times when they borrowed stuff from the manga (but with the addition of the amazing Tsugumi~).

This really cannot fit anywhere. At first you think it's set before CTMEoY because they're living in the old mansion. But then this episode just throws that to the wayside by having them switch between places. And finally it screws with CTMEoY by
My only plausible conclusion is that it is set before CTMEoY, but still ahead of the manga. But not exactly?

It is one HUGE mess.

Also, since it's just taking random fillers, I'm having a hard time enjoying this as much as I did the last season. Hopefully after 10, they really up things. I really wonder what that 'and more' refers to..?
Apr 16, 2013 10:00 AM

Jan 2008
ecoute said:
I may overlook crappy characters design (seriously, it's like director said to animators "Draw this character in ten seconds, or I'll chop off your nuts". ).
Would you point out what's wrong with the current season's character designs ? I see them pretty decent and I suppose you still think that a new studio would copy the design of another one to make sure fans wont get icky like you ?
Unfunny jokes? Well, this won't do. But that's not all. They're totally repeating jokes that were used before! And it's not like they're running gags.

So... Nagi doesn't want to go to school and Hayate is trying to convince her to do that. Gee, we TOTALLY didn't see that before! I know that this episode was dedicated to Nagi only, but... Really? Is this REALLY the best you could think of?
This is exactly what they adapted from the manga , fyi.

All logic aside , I can say this is pretty much a decent episode adapting one of the manga's chapter.

And just like one of you here commented, they are adapting parts of the manga related to the character dedicated to the episode. And yes , timelines make your head dizzy and make us think , why the hell had they done this to us ? And this isnt even Steins;Gate.

Again, a decent episode and it was rather enjoyable even if I already knew what was gonna happen .Manglobe is having a nice turn in this.Next up is A-tan,the dog ,and errr ...the croissant ?
Oh , and did anyone notice the ZKC reference ? I hope they add more of something like that in the future, that is why Hayate never gets boring(nvrmind CTMEOY).
archer_shirou01Apr 16, 2013 10:04 AM
Apr 16, 2013 10:06 AM

Jan 2013
Unlike most of the more vocal posters I rather liked Can't take my eyes off you, then again I hope when they are both are a little older they end up together, but this series is slipping a bit, too many damn time streams,

Either Get the Manga to the point you wanted it at with a time skip, Stick to concurrent events in the manga, or run off where the last show ended. Don't try and do some crazy ass here and there crap.
Apr 16, 2013 10:10 AM

Mar 2012
RedArmyShogun said:
Unlike most of the more vocal posters I rather liked Can't take my eyes off you, then again I hope when they are both are a little older they end up together, but this series is slipping a bit, too many damn time streams,

Either Get the Manga to the point you wanted it at with a time skip, Stick to concurrent events in the manga, or run off where the last show ended. Don't try and do some crazy ass here and there crap.
I like CTMoY but it was lost some humor touch and go more serious. I don't really have the problem with timeline like other.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 16, 2013 10:25 AM

May 2012
RedArmyShogun said:

I agree with everything, except I want Hayate to end up with Maria personally (have since the beginning really)
And yeah, a lot of hate for Can't take my eyes off you, but I found it to be my favorite arc in the Hayate verse~
NeoAnkara said:
I like CTMoY but it was lost some humor touch and go more serious. I don't really have the problem with timeline like other.

The timeline is just confusing, even as a manga reader it's confusing, but for a non-manga reader it's just downright segregating.

Can't take my eyes off you, while difficult for a non-manga reader to follow at the beginning, I feel did a much better job of not alienating the anime-only viewers, and even people who had never seen Hayate before.
Apr 16, 2013 10:30 AM

Mar 2012
vampko said:
NeoAnkara said:

The timeline is just confusing, even as a manga reader it's confusing, but for a non-manga reader it's just downright segregating.

Can't take my eyes off you, while difficult for a non-manga reader to follow at the beginning, I feel did a much better job of not alienating the anime-only viewers, and even people who had never seen Hayate before.
As long as theystay in Violet mansion I don't have much problem. And I treat the first halve as a flasback so that it doesn't really confusing.
Apr 16, 2013 11:03 AM

Jan 2010
archer_shirou01 said:
ecoute said:
Would you point out what's wrong with the current season's character designs ? I see them pretty decent and I suppose you still think that a new studio would copy the design of another one to make sure fans wont get icky like you ?

It's just sloppy and undetailed. If you compare designs from the first season and the current one you can clearly see that characters in the Cuties look far much worse. I recommend looking at the hairstyles.
And NO, I didn't want them to copy the design from previous seasons. I just wanted characters to look nice, but it seems like it's too much for the new studio.

archer_shirou01 said:
ecoute said:

This is exactly what they adapted from the manga , fyi.

So either they decided to animate the least interesting chapter from the manga or the mangaka is slacking off. In both cases there's obviously something wrong.
Heck, if recently manga looks like this episode, then it's definitely going downhill. I hope it's not the case.
Apr 16, 2013 1:50 PM

May 2012
ecoute said:

So either they decided to animate the least interesting chapter from the manga or the mangaka is slacking off. In both cases there's obviously something wrong.
Heck, if recently manga looks like this episode, then it's definitely going downhill. I hope it's not the case.

In my opinion, they could have picked a MUCH better chapter for Nagi's episode from the manga. I have a feeling that the most effort is going to go towards Hinagiku's episode, and others are just going to get silly time-wasters.

But, hopefully I'm wrong.
Apr 16, 2013 2:08 PM

Nov 2007
ecoute said:

Nagi chapters in general are not that interesting anyways so it was to be expected. Also as a manga reader I can tell you that while the manga is still funny, just like you said it is just not at the same level as it used to be.
The peak of the series was imo approx between chapters 160-270. The comedy was fantastic, and the introduction of Athena with the "End of the World" arc followed closely by the "Golden Week" arc provided the best drama and character development for many characters in the series. Now we are on chapter 402 and the series just hasn't managed to reach that level again.
Incidentally the anime S2 by J.C Staff ended somewhere around ch147, oh what could have been.
Apr 16, 2013 2:20 PM

Jan 2010
vampko said:
I have a feeling that the most effort is going to go towards Hinagiku's episode

I certainly hope so. The lack of Hinagiku was one of the biggest mistakes made in the previous season, and a good episode with her might save this show from reaching the level of CTMEoY.
Apr 16, 2013 2:35 PM

May 2009
Watching the 3rd and the first 2 episodes of this season, I thought it was okay...until I suddenly got the urge to re-watch the first 2 seasons.

And you know? THE 3RD AND 4TH SEASONS ARE CRAP.
Nothing beats the first 2.
I don't remember how much manga I've read, but the guys who decided HnG should continue like that should go die in some cruel grotesque way. It'd have been better if what they made to be 3rd season and are making to be 4th season an OVA or a movie. Just by content, it'd be much more suitable.

Will try watching ep.3, but probably dropping after it.
(and 3rd/4th season have no Wakamoto in narration. utter crap...)
Kuro-san666Apr 16, 2013 2:55 PM
Apr 16, 2013 4:53 PM

Nov 2009
Good Nagi Episode!!!

It was hilarious to see how much she wanted to change and Maria did a great job motivating her. I think it was similar to a manga chapter.

Looking forward to Athena episode!!!

5/5

Apr 16, 2013 6:52 PM

Jun 2010
I guess Nagi is at that age huh.

So it seems like they're just grabbing chapters from the manga where the character is the main heroine and making that an episode.

Apr 16, 2013 7:24 PM

Oct 2010
After CTMEOY (which personally, was pretty good once I got over the fact that it didn't follow the manga like I was hoping it would) I've given up on the anime following the manga like they did back in season 2. I feel sorry for anime only watchers and I recommend those that have time to pick up the manga. Now on to the episode itself. I really enjoyed this episode and I really liked the life lesson Maria gave to Nagi. Really looking forward to A-tan in the next episode!!
Apr 16, 2013 7:59 PM

May 2012
LightSoul said:
After CTMEOY (which personally, was pretty good once I got over the fact that it didn't follow the manga like I was hoping it would) I've given up on the anime following the manga like they did back in season 2.

Yeah, while this most certainly is sorta following the manga, it's doing it in a very randomized and out of synch way.
ecoute said:
vampko said:
I have a feeling that the most effort is going to go towards Hinagiku's episode

I certainly hope so. The lack of Hinagiku was one of the biggest mistakes made in the previous season, and a good episode with her might save this show from reaching the level of CTMEoY.

That's probably one defining characteristic that made CTMEoY better for me: less Hinagiku. There was just too much of her in the second season. The first season had a good balance though, and had the super-intendant and her loli fan. Really miss those two...
I always seem to like the anime-only characters pretty really highly. And they always fade off into the distance after having such awesome arcs T_T

In short, Hinagiku is overrated. Ayumu's where it's at :)
Apr 16, 2013 8:02 PM

Apr 2011
Pretty sure this confirms this comes after season 3.

Also I've inferred (since season 3, surprised no one else seems to but me.) that she lives in the mansion and sometimes the violet mansion too, makes no sense, but this is Hayate we're talking about here.

Also, about the supposed "filler" this show is a comedy, when I started watching/reading it barely had a plot, and it doesn't need to take precedent over everything else. (however, preferably, I would want it to be both funny AND focus on the plot.)

Anyway, I liked this episode, the second half was pretty meh, but the first half was from one of the better Nagi based Chapters of the manga.

But yeah, Seasons 2 and especially season 1 are better, but this is still more enjoyable then the snorefest that was season 3.

vampko said:

That's probably one defining characteristic that made CTMEoY better for me: less Hinagiku. There was just too much of her in the second season. The first season had a good balance though, and had the super-intendant and her loli fan. Really miss those two...

I concur. The first season (and the first half of the second season had a decent balance of everyone, (including my favorite character that never ever appears anymore: Himuro.) No offense to the people who like that sort of thing, but when I started watching/reading hayate, I was unaware it was going to devolve from hilarious action-comedy/parody to slice of life harem. This is even worse in the Manga then it is here.
-Whiplash-Apr 16, 2013 8:07 PM
Apr 16, 2013 8:26 PM

Feb 2012
I won't bother comprehending this anymore. Will just watch to see the chapters animated :D
Apr 16, 2013 8:30 PM

Dec 2011
Seriously ? My points for HnG started to drop...
And I feel bad too for only anime watchers.

Cuties! is actually a prequel from CTMEOF in the storyline (isn't a sequel).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 16, 2013 9:42 PM
Apr 2013
They really really really screw up time time in cuties lol. It is like they made cuties for manga fan with no regard toWHEN it happen in manga

First half of the episodes took take before EOTW arc and second part took place after Greek arc

And next week it is like... wth... Watau dojin store open already but the money used to fund it come from next episodes.......

It is like they are trying to put the best of manga chapter and glue it together

Then again maybe we can hope for maria episodes to be the date episode, with Lord British appearing in the opening it is certainly possible.

As for Hina... too bad they butchered the date episode with her last season. Not sure what they plan with her but they try to made iot Hina-centric from the opening so ti should be good. They know as well as we know... Hina sell and sell very well.
Apr 17, 2013 5:32 AM
Jan 2013
U know, what Maria said to Nagi really has a point.
Apr 17, 2013 8:42 AM

Feb 2010
I think a lot of you guys are taking this way too seriously. Talking about when it actually takes place, that only manga readers can enjoy it, stuff like that.

I'm just watching it cause I love Hayate. Just watch it for fun and don't care too much about consistency or plot. After all, it's all episodic nonsense anyway. There's barely any plot to be found. You're only making it worse for yourself if you keep trying to see how it relates to CTMEOY and the manga.
Apr 17, 2013 3:32 PM

Jan 2012
continuity is thrown out the window.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Hayate the combat butler season 5??

chrisedmonds - May 5, 2017

20 by _Udara »»
Aug 30, 7:11 AM

Poll: » Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2013

60 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jun 30, 2023 7:30 AM

Poll: » Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2013

32 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jun 30, 2023 6:47 AM

Poll: » Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2013

39 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jun 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Poll: » Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2013

25 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jun 27, 2023 1:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.