Forum Settings
Forums

How much money do you spend per week on manga?

New
I spend around about ---
$0-10
61.3%
$10-20
12.9%
$20-30
7.0%
$30-40
5.0%
$40-50
3.0%
$50-60
3.3%
$60+
7.6%
302 votes
Aug 4, 2008 12:31 AM
Nov 2007
I was chatting to a mate and bf about manga yesterday, as you do, and he happened to mention how much he'd spend on manga per week. Then I thought about how much I spend, and I just got curious about everyone else. So thought I'd ask the question to all of you, as I thought it'd be interesting to see.

NOTE:

• This excludes anime. Only manga.
  • I know you probably don't count the exact amount of every single manga purchase, and it's not like you're going to grab any reciept that you have, if any. This question is based on average spending.
  • Although I live in Australia and we're all from everywhere on the planet, we'll make the currency US dollars.

Sorry about the poll, for some reason only the 0-10$ thing is appearing and not the rest of the figures, I don't know what's wrong. I'm @ college now, so I'll fix it once at home. Trying to close it, but not responding...

EDIT: Poll re-done (stupid college internet, too slow for anything -_-) so yeah, I've added in the additional options.
delete-dOct 26, 2008 3:30 AM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 4, 2008 12:47 AM

Feb 2008
I actually buy my manga monthly because it's so much easier to get all the releases in one go. So I probably spend about £30 a month. Which would get me about 5 volumes.
Aug 4, 2008 12:48 AM
Jul 2018
Depends on if there is something I'm currently buying. If I'm currently buying a full series, I'll buy in 2~10 book increments over a week. I bought all of Berserk! in about 2 weeks.

So it fluctuates pretty heavily (since manga releases also fluctuate quite heavily). It's not like I feel obligated to buy a certain amount per week (though at times it does feel bad when I leave the manga shop without buying something since the owner is quite nice to me).

Where I am and where I purchase my manga (Taiwan), 1 manga is about around $3.00. That price varies by type. Stuff like Vagabond and Zetman are more expensive because... well... I assume paper size and production quality.

So, that all said, last week, I spent ~$95 dollars on manga. 20 issues of Berserk!, One Piece 50, Mx0 9(?), Lucky Star 5, Fighting Cook Musashi 1+2, Zetman 9, Pluto 1-5, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

The week before, probably much less since Berserk! wasn't on my books. IIRC, the only stuff I bought that week was HxH 25, D.Grayman 15, and some other stuff. Probably only ~$12.

So far, this week I've spent ~$34 so far on 11 issues of Berserk!.

After I buy all of Berserk! I'm probably going to buy all of 20th Century Boys so over the next few weeks, I'll probably be spending a bit more.
Aug 4, 2008 12:53 AM

Oct 2007
I spend about 100€ a month via online order to buy around 12-14 volumes off manga. Right now I'm on summer hiatus thou, so I didn't buy any in July and aren't going to buy any in August either. It's usually a little less depending on the price off the mangas. Online order is alot cheaper then buying it in a shop, in the shop where I used to buy my mangas, GTO for example cost 11€ while in my online shop it only cost 5.98€.

Since I do have to pay for them sending me, if I buy in bulk it's alot cheaper then buying in the shop.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Aug 4, 2008 1:39 AM
Nov 2007
@ smasher -- buying online, how long have you been doing that? I've been thinking about buying my manga online, however since I live so far away from Europe and America, paying for posting and shipping usually would mean I pay more for manga, than in a shop. What I'm getting at it is, if you buy manga in bulk, do they give you free shipping, as opposed to buying one or two mangas?
(I don't know much about buying manga online so, little bit new in that regard).

Aug 4, 2008 1:59 AM

Nov 2007
$0 a week. I haven't even bought any manga at all this year, though I intend to make another purchase soon. It's more cost effective to wait for three(+) volumes to order from Amazon, to make shipping worthwhile. Amazon prices are way better than shelf prices here in AU, so if you buy 3+ vols at a time from Amazon the shipping is more than covered. Delivery takes a while, but I prefer the convenience of having it delivered to my door as opposed to having to go out and buy it.
Aug 4, 2008 3:27 AM

Oct 2007
CellaMushboon said:
@ smasher -- buying online, how long have you been doing that? I've been thinking about buying my manga online, however since I live so far away from Europe and America, paying for posting and shipping usually would mean I pay more for manga, than in a shop. What I'm getting at it is, if you buy manga in bulk, do they give you free shipping, as opposed to buying one or two mangas?
(I don't know much about buying manga online so, little bit new in that regard).

I started with it in December 2007 and I buy everything from Archonia. They don't give free shipping, but if you buy enough manga you eventually bypass the cost you would pay if you would buy the manga in the shop.

Let's say, in the shop I usually went, 1 volume off Negima would cost 12€ while the same volume online would cost me 8.75€. Add 5€ off shipping to that and I would end up at 13.75€ wich is alot more.

If I would buy 14 volumes off Negima in my shop: 12€ x 14 = 168€

If I would buy 14 volumes off Negima online: 8.75 x 14 = 122.5 + 5€ = 127.5€

Wich is a difference off 40.5€, not to forget that I don't have to go down to the shop wasting a ticket for tram or gas for my car. And that my manga is crispnew, not touched by 10 people with sweaty hands in the shop.

Also some other mangas online are even more cheaper then in the shop. Also I can order right from the release while in the shop they take about a month longer before they recieve the same manga.

Add to that I never had any problems with delivering.

Aug 4, 2008 3:51 AM

Jul 2008
not really much, once a month 10 or 20, when they release something new.

Aug 4, 2008 4:44 AM

Jan 2008
How much does manga cost in Japan?

I'm reading scans of Eternal Sabbath, and on the back cover of each volume I swear it says 500 yen. That's like £2.50 for a volume. Is it me or is that REALLY CHEAP!?
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 4, 2008 7:13 AM

Oct 2007
I don't know exactly but I heared that manga in Japan is really cheap while DVD on the other hand is really expensive.

Aug 4, 2008 7:16 AM

Apr 2008
^ yep and it is the same in china & taiwan.. but yeah Ive stopped buying manga for a long time ;x i only buy them as gifts for friends.
Aug 4, 2008 7:41 AM

Mar 2007
Hm, for a while it was about $30-70 a week (imported manga). However, I am broke from AX still and the bookstore just raised its manga prices, so I am not gonna buy there anymore. (*sigh*) I will be ordering online from BK1 instead, so now I will skip my weekly manga purchases, and do one large purchase every other month or longer. I will miss impulse buying, but BK1, even with overseas shipping, works out to be much cheaper per volume than kinokuniya. Shoujo manga is about 400 yen each, which is about $3.70. BK1 charges the yen price and offers SAL shipping, so even after the shipping it is less than the $6.20/volume kinokuniya now wants. I wish I lived near a book-off ^^
Aug 4, 2008 7:47 AM

Nov 2007
MagicalEmi said:
$6.20/volume

I wish it were that cheap here. I paid $18/vol for Genshiken, and 19-22 (two diff stores) for the first few volumes of xxxHolic, though got the last 6 volumes from Amazon for like $11 or something, forget now.
Aug 4, 2008 8:34 AM

Sep 2007
I buy one volume a month, almost always an American import (About 13$) but sometimes Swedish (10$).
Aug 4, 2008 8:42 AM

Apr 2007
My average amount of money spent on manga must be down to about $0.00125 by now. It's been ages since I last bought any manga, of what little manga I have.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2008 8:48 AM

Jun 2008
I buy all of mine online, and usually all of the next volumes in each series I have. I usually spend $45 each month on about 5 or 6 mangas.
Aug 4, 2008 8:57 AM

Mar 2007
Asako said:
MagicalEmi said:
$6.20/volume

I wish it were that cheap here. I paid $18/vol for Genshiken, and 19-22 (two diff stores) for the first few volumes of xxxHolic, though got the last 6 volumes from Amazon for like $11 or something, forget now.

I was talking about basic shoujo manga raws. xxxholic raws are more expensive than that, because the books are larger and have color pages. I haven't checked, but I am guessing those are probably about $10
Aug 4, 2008 9:49 AM

Sep 2007
When I have cash, I buy a Berserk volume, as I'm incredibly far behind. Otherwise, only when a new Excel Saga or Hellsing book is released. I pre-ordered the Black Lagoon English manga, though.

So anywhere from $0-$30 a week. Usually closer to $0.
Aug 4, 2008 9:54 AM

May 2007
I used to work at a bookstore, as a second job, and it was basically just to feed my manga habit ^_^; I would spend my entire paycheck there ($35-$50 a week) on books and manga, and I was also getting them at a discount, so between 5-7 volumes a week (or 10-14 per two weeks, since I was paid biweekly).

I worked there for two years. X)! So I accumulated quite a bit.

I don't buy as frequently now, but Powell's sells used manga at anywhere from $2-$7 a volume, so every once in a while I go a bit nuts in there. XD I would say I probably average one per week now, but that's usually only $6.
Aug 4, 2008 10:13 AM

May 2008
I spend around 20-30$ every month, but somtimes it is more if I for example visit a better store in another city and so on. On the summer I just watch anime so I hardly buys anything these three months.
Aug 4, 2008 10:33 AM

Oct 2007
I've got no real pattern for how much I spend, I could go months without buying any then just randomly buy a few volumes. Before ax I think the last thing I bought was fruits basket months before then at ax I blew like around $400 on manga, since it was so god damn cheap.

Aug 4, 2008 10:38 AM

May 2008
I usually only buy manga once every 4 months, or a lot in Sept (cuz of my bday XD)

Aug 4, 2008 10:48 AM

Jun 2008
I buy a few books every couple of weeks, but it mostly depends on what's coming out for the month.
Aug 4, 2008 10:53 AM

Jun 2008
Probably 20-30 dollars each month, but I almost never buy manga. I read it online like the cheap bastard I am.
I'm back.
Aug 4, 2008 11:22 AM

May 2008
" I read it online like the cheap bastard I am."
Aug 4, 2008 11:28 AM

Oct 2007
Nathan-the-Axe said:
Probably 20-30 dollars each month, but I almost never buy manga. I read it online like the cheap bastard I am.

I understand the motivation behind that. I do the same for anime. But I got this thing with manga, I have to feel the book in my hands, feel the satisfaction off turning a page while I'm relaxing in my sofa.

I do read some manga online, usually the ones that have a chapter each week like Bleach or Naruto or others that come out once a month and are fairly new like Doubt or Frankenfran.

Aug 4, 2008 2:32 PM

Mar 2008
People still spend money on manga? =O

I understand the authenic feel of having a real manga in hand but reading them online just has too many benefits beside the obvious in that it is free and convenient. For one, it could take two or more years for a manga that has finished in Japan to catch up to America. Also, some profressional translators tend to not explain or even mention some of the Japanese cultural references inside mangas while amateur translators usually leave a side note to help the readers.
rawr
Aug 4, 2008 3:16 PM

Jul 2008
I'd say I spend about $10-$50 a week on manga. lol I don't ususally get to much anime anyway cuz of how much they make the DVD's cost ><
Aug 4, 2008 3:18 PM

Nov 2007
I haven't bought a manga since May. Didn't see new SZS at Kinokuniya the other day. D:

But I have a stack of unread volumes sitting around I need to plow through, and other than that, I steal them from the internet. SO I'm not going to run out of reading material any times soon.
Aug 4, 2008 3:43 PM

Jul 2008
I don't really read manga... I wouldn't even know where to start :(

So none :3

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Aug 4, 2008 5:30 PM

Apr 2007
I never buy manga. It takes up waaay too much space. So I do this:

-Borrow from friends.
-Read them at Barnes and Nobles or Borders.
-Read online.

Although the only manga I bought was Death Note Vol. 13. It's not really a manga though is it?

Aug 4, 2008 5:59 PM

Mar 2008
If I find a manga that has published a lot of volumes then it can be very expensive sometimes.

I read 3 mangas atm so that means a minumum of $300~ / month, but its defently gonna be 3-5 times as much :3
Aug 4, 2008 6:28 PM

Jun 2008
Pewdie said:
If I find a manga that has published a lot of volumes then it can be very expensive sometimes.

I read 3 mangas atm so that means a minumum of $300~ / month, but its defently gonna be 3-5 times as much :3

What the hell? 300 bucks a month for just 3 mangas? How much do these volumes cost? #^_^
I'm back.
Aug 4, 2008 6:42 PM

Jul 2008
I download my manga. I read manga that hasn't been officially picked up by some American company for translation so... yeah I do buy the ones that are translated officially.
Aug 4, 2008 8:19 PM

Jul 2008
absolutely nothing

Aug 4, 2008 8:30 PM
Jul 2018
Now this is kinda sad...

I hope many realize that by not supporting the manga industry, you're also hurting the anime industry (far more than not supporting the anime industry hurts the manga industry).

If mangas don't sell, they get cancelled. Good stories are ruined. Great characters are abandoned. It isn't an issue of support. Lots of people can like it but if it doesn't sell, it's as good as dead.

If mangas don't get support, there also won't be an anime adaptation.

Also, lots of manga don't have the benefit of sponsors, supporters, and often times can't be used as a means of advertisement. The majority of manga are produced by independent teams of illustrators that have middle to low income. For a lot of manga, there also isn't much money made from merchandise sales.

This isn't an issue with supporting large and sometimes corporate production studios that make a hefty sum of money off sponsors, advertisement and merchandise sales. It's an issue of supporting other individuals just like you and me just trying to make a living.
Aug 4, 2008 8:46 PM

Aug 2007
Meh, last time I bought any manga was back in July... Claymore 12 I think. Only time I splurged on manga was for FLCL and the first 10 volumes of Claymore. So like maybe $10 a month if you spread it out over the past year.

Felli disapproves of this thread.
Aug 4, 2008 8:49 PM

Aug 2007
$40 per month on regular basis. If it's regular school month, expect $60 per month.
Aug 4, 2008 9:14 PM

Feb 2008
None. I don't like manga.
Aug 4, 2008 9:18 PM

Jun 2008
Brian333 said:
Now this is kinda sad...

I hope many realize that by not supporting the manga industry, you're also hurting the anime industry (far more than not supporting the anime industry hurts the manga industry).

If mangas don't sell, they get cancelled. Good stories are ruined. Great characters are abandoned. It isn't an issue of support. Lots of people can like it but if it doesn't sell, it's as good as dead.

Also, lots of manga don't have the benefit of sponsors, supporters, and often times can't be used as a means of advertisement. The majority of manga are produced by independent teams of illustrators that have middle to low income. For a lot of manga, there also isn't much money made from merchandise sales.

This isn't an issue with supporting large and sometimes corporate production studios that make a hefty sum of money off sponsors, advertisement and merchandise sales. It's an issue of supporting other individuals just like you and me just trying to make a living.

Go preach somewhere else. I'll do whatever I want with my money.
I'm back.
Aug 4, 2008 9:36 PM

Jul 2008
Brian333 said:
Now this is kinda sad...

Yeah, no offense, but this is the internet; no one listens and rarely is someones mind changed by the word of someone else. I agree with you, but I don't have the resources nor the time to hunt down the Japanese version of a manga that hasn't been officially translated into English. And don't go off giving me links or offering a rebuddle (sp?) because you won't make me change my mind.
Aug 4, 2008 9:49 PM
Jul 2018
Nathan-the-Axe said:

And I'll do whatever I want with my words.

Shuu-chan said:
Yeah, no offense, but this is the internet; no one listens and rarely is someones mind changed by the word of someone else. I agree with you, but I don't have the resources nor the time to hunt down the Japanese version of a manga that hasn't been officially translated into English. And don't go off giving me links or offering a rebuddle (sp?) because you won't make me change my mind.

No one listens and changes there mind on something on the internet? What? People have changed their minds in this very topic about the methods for which to purchase manga because of someone else's words.

And it's more just a product of being a bit bitter from the recent canceling of some good mangas (like Mx0) due to bad sales. Seeing mangaka kill themselves every week to meet deadlines only to have their work canceled hurts. Especially when it's good work. Knowing that part of that is due to the fact that people simply will not buy it because it's online sucks even more.

And I'm not trying to single out anyone. Just saying that it's important to support something you love. Seeing as how this topic is about our weekly support of the industry, I would think it's not off topic.
Aug 4, 2008 9:54 PM

Mar 2008
I usually spend about $30 - $40 bucks a month if I find good deals on mangas...otherwises I'm gonna read my manga online if the sites I usually go to have the series I want to read.

Aug 4, 2008 9:59 PM

Jun 2008
Brian333 said:
Nathan-the-Axe said:

Shuu-chan said:

No one listens and changes there mind on something on the internet? What? People have changed their minds in this very topic about the methods for which to purchase manga because of someone else's words.

And it's more just a product of being a bit bitter from the recent canceling of some good mangas (like Mx0) due to bad sales. Seeing mangaka kill themselves every week to meet deadlines only to have their work canceled hurts. Especially when it's good work. Knowing that part of that is due to the fact that people simply will not buy it because it's online sucks even more.

And I'm not trying to single out anyone. Just saying that it's important to support something you love. Seeing as how this topic is about our weekly support of the industry, I would think it's not off topic.

I'm back.
Aug 4, 2008 10:05 PM

Jul 2008
LMFAO
Aug 4, 2008 10:32 PM

May 2007
Nathan-the-Axe said:

He makes a good point. By not supporting the industry, you are shitting in its face. If you want it, if you like reading manga, why would you do this?

Mangaka are skilled craftsman. They are artisans. By not buying manga, you are hurting people. People. Not companies. The movie/anime industry is different; it's built on an economy that supports itself. The manga industry is full of individuals and sometimes small groups of people; it's more personal.

Brian333 said:
Nathan-the-Axe said:

Shuu-chan said:

^ That.
Aug 4, 2008 10:57 PM

Jun 2008
Alright then, before I read my manga online I will stop and feel bad that I'm not helping the artist. Then I will read it anyway, and continue to shit on their faces.
I'm back.
Aug 4, 2008 11:16 PM
Jul 2018
Nathan-the-Axe said:
Alright then, before I read my manga online I will stop and feel bad that I'm not helping the artist. Then I will read it anyway, and continue to shit on their faces.

Some class would be nice, but...

Nathan-the-Axe's Details:
Birthday: March 15, 1993

I guess it all makes sense now.
Aug 4, 2008 11:45 PM

Feb 2008
Nathan-the-Axe said:

I lol'd.
Aug 4, 2008 11:55 PM

Oct 2007
Brian333 said:

Nathan-the-Axe's Details:
Birthday: March 15, 1993

I guess it all makes sense now.

Ignore it, maybe it will go away...

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Good manga to read for people starting out

Goblingaming - May 21

18 by ItsMartin432 »»
2 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

30 by Stomiks »»
3 hours ago

» Your top 10 unknown/not-well known manga ( 1 2 )

Kumoiro_Shizuki - May 16

54 by Kumoiro_Shizuki »»
9 hours ago

» Help Identifying Japanese Characters(Letters) in manga

JoestarEISH_020 - May 30

6 by Stomiks »»
Yesterday, 8:18 PM

» Recently Bought Manga, Mahnwa, Manhua, or Light Novels. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maora - Oct 24, 2008

5943 by DigiCat »»
Yesterday, 2:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.