3It was OK
7.3%
2Disliked it
1.6%
1Hated it
1.2%
Average 4.5
563 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 4, 2010 1:32 PM

Jul 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So Yagiri family in possession of Celty head when Namie&Seiji was younger & Namie became head of Yagiri Pharmacy.She shows Celty head to Seiji & he falls in love with Celty head.Furious that she can't find Seiji,she asked for Izaya help to trace Seiji.
Celty notice Mika face resemble her & chase her.Shizuo deals with Seiji & headbutt him after Seiji stabbed Shizuo hand with ballpoint.
Mika now stay at Mikado apartment for protection from Celty.For some reason,I disgust at Seiji pathetic behavior & him sulking when Mika is missing looks lame.Izaya quote+spinning =EPIC
Loli Namie is cute:
Kagura89Mar 4, 2010 1:58 PM
Mar 4, 2010 6:00 PM

Oct 2009
Oh God....oh....please don't tell me Seiji did kill Harima at that appartment....that Harima who is the friend of Anri......that the current head is Harima's head and her body has Celty's head and that head even talks..O_O Oh God I am so :o and also O_O at this. So Gruesome Scene I must say. Rest the pics will talk...have a headache suddenly.....OK clearly Seiji love at first sight with head started really young and I sensing a necrophiliac symptom from him since it was so early=>
OK clearly that girl does not like Namie since she throws the cell phone in the water and after hugs tightly Seiji on top of that she talks for a first time!=>
There is one reason I love these parts is that it shows very well that Izaya is also a great strategist making a board like this and I wish I knew about what pieces really mean what to him=>
Seriously because of this Seiji went to my view of him as a murderer for his own self interest anyone else?=>
All this proves that Shizuo is one who can probably take even a straight bullet to his body and still beat up people....but that is gotta hurt IRL=>
Dissapointing! It would have been epic to have motorcycle chase in the subway!=>
The most cutest moment ever of Shinra x Real Celty...I felt a awwww...anyone else?=>
I love how simple Ryuugamine's room and place is=>
Does he live a slump?
Kagura89 said:
.Izaya quote+spinning =EPIC

Yeah here....GIF of it...since it's so Epic!=>

Kagura89 said:
Loli Namie is cute:
yeah here is a big plan of her young cute loli face=>
Grab the most epic of Shizuo GIFs.....find better than that "punch guy loses clothing one"=>
This must be the best GIF of Celty with a motorcycle jump!=>
francismeunierMar 4, 2010 8:44 PM

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Mar 4, 2010 9:14 PM

Jun 2008
Ballpen stabbing, motobike chasing, shizuo throwning people again, cute lolie Namie, Izaya and Namie meets, Izaya's love for human speech and spinning like a kid..

ah... I'm sold for this episode. Nothing more to say ~
Mar 5, 2010 2:09 AM

Jun 2009
This was actually the first episode that I truly enjoyed, because finally the plotline that drew me into the story in the first place has started. -> Seiji and Namie's story.

Actually even Izaya became a bit more interesting this episode. He seems to be some kind of informant broker, who is working independently from the other parties around Ikebukuro and seems to enjoy his job a bit too much.

The event of Seiji killing his stalker and being rescued by his sister was actually the prologue chapter of the light novel. It somehow gave the story a gloomier start, which I liked a bit better...but it's understandable why they went that way for the anime.

francismeunier said:

Does he live a slump?

Well he is just a highschool student and lives on his own, naturally he wouldn't be able to afford a very good place to stay...and it could be much worse, believe me, I lived in a place like that...

And we still don't know his actuall reason to move to Ikebukuro.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Mar 5, 2010 3:14 AM

Apr 2009
Wow... another great ep - maybe the best one so far. Pace of action was pretty fast and plot is going forward, there's nothing to complain about. And Izaya... as plot goes on, I like him more and more.

Mar 5, 2010 3:27 AM

Nov 2008
Shizuo is one bad-ass MOTHERFUCKER!
Mar 5, 2010 4:03 AM

Oct 2009

already accomplished.
*points at 600 character favorites*
Mar 5, 2010 4:58 AM

Aug 2008
Probably best episode so far. They're doing great job in pushing plot forward faster and faster, after introducing huge cast. Every scene here was important and equaly awesome, so to speak. Shizuo rage mode, bike chase, murder case, Izaya's chessboard and dialog with Namie, throwing Mikado on ex-Mika..
Like nicely done puzzle, and still leaving so much to be answered ;)

francismeunier said:

Does he live a slump?

That reminds me of Hei's place from frist DtB.

Also, big congratz to fansub team for release only 12h after tv emission. It can't come by unnoticed.
NiklaiMar 5, 2010 5:05 AM
Mar 5, 2010 4:59 AM

Dec 2007
I have to say that this is the best episode up 'till now, the character introductions are basically over and it's time for the story to move on.

But I guess most good things have already been said, not repeating other than that the characters are just getting better and better. I really enjoyed this one, therefore a definite 5.
Mar 5, 2010 5:09 AM
Jun 2008
Chess + Shougi + checker !!!! I really want to see that.Izaya a genius?? What kind of rule will it be ??

Somehow this episode remind me back the the same episode of Baka test.... brother X sister complex again??

I am realive now,that Mikado get a chance to tell his story for the next episode.Hope the story will continue to tell more on him ^^ next episode: "once in the life time " (i think i translate it right ^^ )
MorningGloryMar 5, 2010 5:34 AM
Mar 5, 2010 5:15 AM

Dec 2007
I forgot, his little variation game is probably the people he's playing around with. Everytime things move on, he also plays. It's probably 3 different kind of groups. Again, the strategist thing someone mentioned before comes in here. Board games are used a lot for those kind of things.
Mar 5, 2010 5:51 AM

Oct 2009
seizonsha said:
This was actually the first episode that I truly enjoyed, because finally the plotline that drew me into the story in the first place has started. -> Seiji and Namie's story.

Are you kidding me!? This was the first time I was so absorbed in the episode in this serie as only a RAW one and on top of that understood 50% or more of which does not happen often with RAWs.....that means it was amazing already.
francismeunier said:

Does he live a slump?

seizonsha said:
Well he is just a highschool student and lives on his own, naturally he wouldn't be able to afford a very good place to stay...and it could be much worse, believe me, I lived in a place like that...

And we still don't know his actuall reason to move to Ikebukuro.

So I am assuming it's like one of those 1 or 2 star hotels but a apartment complex instead.......yeah well that obviously proves he is a poor person compared to Shinra let's say.
Toushi said:
I forgot, his little variation game is probably the people he's playing around with. Everytime things move on, he also plays. It's probably 3 different kind of groups. Again, the strategist thing someone mentioned before comes in here. Board games are used a lot for those kind of things.
I see now....thank you very much for that though....it gave me quite the inspiration of a cleared up mind.
francismeunierMar 5, 2010 6:00 AM

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Mar 5, 2010 7:37 AM

Aug 2009
Damn this episode was so...FAST. It came as a shock really, Namie's obsession with Seiji.
Anyways the real story starts now!

Seiji must be a mental patient. He's obsessed with that girl So the girl he killed was probably Anri's friend...so am I to assume that the body belongs to that friend and the head to Celty, and fused together, we have this Harima/Celty combo girl who, as I discovered in this episode, CAN speak and is crazy about Seiji and has no record of her own lifetime.
Interesting.

Honestly, I won't be a bit surprised if the ending reveals that all this was Izaya's doing. >_>
That spinning and evil/lovely quote was EPICLY EPIC.

And so, we shall see Mikado more in the next episode.
Story's moving on. Can't wait for next episode.

Shizuou is God.
Izaya is Satan.
k0k0Mar 5, 2010 7:42 AM
Mar 5, 2010 7:42 AM

Aug 2008
I hate that seji. he's soo damn useless.
Mar 5, 2010 8:55 AM

Sep 2007
Wow, what a good episode! So fast, so interesting, and with a lot of answers! This is getting more and more awesome, yay!

Mar 5, 2010 9:05 AM

Feb 2010
THIS SHOW IS DA AWESOME!
Mar 5, 2010 9:41 AM

Jun 2009
Novel prologue material finally animated. Really enjoyabe episode, story goes smooth and is great like always.
Seiji fighting with pens... oh well, without any effect on Shizuo at least. ^^ Oh maybe some quotings now:
Maximatum99 said:
Shizuo is one bad-ass MOTHERFUCKER!

Agreed, both him and Izaya seems like most polular characters, and it's fully reasonable.
francismeunier said:
So I am assuming it's like one of those 1 or 2 star hotels but a apartment complex instead.......yeah well that obviously proves he is a poor person compared to Shinra let's say.

At times like this is wonder how can he be
But Dollars aren't some gang forcefully taking money from people and so..., so it's reasonable.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Mar 5, 2010 9:44 AM

Jun 2008
k0k0 said:

Shizuou is God.
Izaya is Satan.

Amen to that xD!
Mar 5, 2010 10:33 AM

Dec 2007
Namie philosophy of life is amusing. Izaya is cunning as always. Seiji is stabbing people with pens.Shizuo is awesome as always. Selty has found her head. This show is the shit.
Mar 5, 2010 10:48 AM

Jan 2010
What is up with Namie having feeling for her brother...ewwwwwwwwwww

Shizuo is beastly. He kind of reminds of guts from Berserk

I'm looking forward to next weeks episode ^_^

Mar 5, 2010 11:03 AM

Jun 2009
memoi567 said:

It's a japanese anime based on japanese novel. I'm more and more convinced that incest isn't anything abnormal in Japan.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Mar 5, 2010 11:06 AM

Aug 2009
OrochiPL said:
memoi567 said:

It's a japanese anime based on japanese novel. I'm more and more convinced that incest isn't anything abnormal in Japan.

The fact that it's not abnormal is freaky. I'll try to see it in a 'brotherly/sisterly love' way.

Namie's evil. I'm convinced.
Mar 5, 2010 11:22 AM

Aug 2008
k0k0 said:

The fact that it's not abnormal is freaky. I'll try to see it in a 'brotherly/sisterly love' way.

Yeah, it's brother/sister love alright. With nightly masturbation and Namie's cum, pure and innocent.
Mar 5, 2010 11:41 AM

Aug 2007
I think it was alright. The episode bugged me more though, Seiji and his sister are fucking freaks.

Not really getting into the stuff with Celty and Seiji, I'd rather get back to learning about Dollars or Iyaya.

Or more Shizuo, because he's probably the best character in the show.

Mar 5, 2010 12:05 PM

May 2008
Celty was so close!

ImageGif By francismeunier

Indeed This was EPIC.
Mar 5, 2010 12:33 PM

Sep 2007
gloryfy said:
Chess + Shougi + checker !!!!

It's not checkers. It's Go. Checkers is complete trash compared to these three board games.

Man, Seiji and Namie are one fucked up pair. Namie with her warped sense of love for her brother and Seiji... for being Seiji, killing Harima and everything.

And Izaya and Shizuo still does not fail to impress. Izaya being the epic informant he is and Shizuo for being plain badass. He should've knocked a bit more sense into Seiji then.
Mar 5, 2010 1:24 PM

Jun 2009
OrochiPL said:
memoi567 said:

It is quite abnormal, that is why it's featured on DRRR!!
Both Namie and the body with Celty's head have a rather abnormal relationship with Seiji. Namie was always the one who had to care for her brother so she developed an almost motherly bond to him. And the body with the head fell in love with someone who murdered it, implying that the feelings of the stalker might still be in there.

francismeunier said:

More like a cheap apartment in a rather unpopular district...not much connection to a hotel. It's just a typical apartment building from around the 60's or 70's, many of which weren't refurbished and therefore are in a quite ghastly state.
But like OrochiPL said,
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Mar 5, 2010 1:27 PM

Sep 2009
The episodes just keep getting better and better. This show really has me hooked now. So much plot is developing.....looking forward to Mikado and Celty interaction.
Mar 5, 2010 1:34 PM

Apr 2009
awesome episode

that blond dude is awesome and entertaining)
Mar 5, 2010 1:59 PM

Jun 2009
Brilliant episode. It's a pity I can't say anything about it because everyone's already said it.

I am going to see if I can figure out Izayas board game.

I am guessing that this is definitely all representing the characters in the show.(Obviously enough) So if I had to guess, The chess pieces probably represent the dangerous characters so that means
Knight = Celty
Queen = Slasher
Rook = Shizuo
Pawn = Clueless on this one.
The Shogi pieces represent the characters of important value so in other words, Celtys head and others that seem to have value.
The Go pieces probably represent the henchmen. Blacks for the dollars and whites for the scientists.
So when Izaya placed the shogi piece(Probably representing Celtys head) and surrounded it by black Go pieces and one white Go piece then that probably means that the Scientists and the dollars will be trying to find Celtys head.(This is already true for the Scientists)
Or at least that's how I look at it. But I may be over-analyzing here.

I am also interested in the fact that Izaya does not seem to count himself as a "human." So he could be some sort of supernatural entity or he just does not see himself as a human.

Needless to say I can't wait for the next episode.
AidanAK47Mar 5, 2010 2:02 PM

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Mar 5, 2010 2:16 PM

Dec 2007
Wasabi said:
gloryfy said:

It's not checkers. It's Go.

Wrong. It's Othello. The pieces are flat. Go stones are round, if 75 episodes of Hikaru no Go taught me anything.

Anyway, this was quite an awesome episode bringing even more characters together.

EDIT: Though that is a Go board they are using.
MeddigoMar 5, 2010 2:21 PM
Mar 5, 2010 2:16 PM
Mar 2009
2 things i am worried about..

1st harima doesnt have any memories so both the head and the body lost their memories!!!

2nd who is the guy that harima is sending msgs???
Mar 5, 2010 2:26 PM

Jan 2010
Namie creeps me out a bit. Poor Seiji, having a sister like that. xD Izaya, Shizuo, and Celty were awesome as always. And that Shinra x Celty moment where he held her hand was just too adorable. ♥

Next week's episode looks good, it has a lot of different characters instead of just focusing on a few!
Mar 5, 2010 2:37 PM

Jun 2009
Etherios said:
1st harima doesnt have any memories so both the head and the body lost their memories!!!

Wait, does that girl really have Harima's personality? It would be reasonable if she had no memories, since Seiji killed her. She act's little like a stalker that she was before, she loves Seiji. But still she have Celty's head, and not having Celty's peronality, she must have some of her memories, since she started screaming when encountered Celty. Now the question is, why she started screaming and run away from Celty?

Etherios said:

I'm 100% assuming now, but i think it might be Shinra.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Mar 5, 2010 2:40 PM

Sep 2007
Meddigo said:
Wasabi said:
gloryfy said:

It's not checkers. It's Go.

Wrong. It's Othello. The pieces are flat. Go stones are round, if 75 episodes of Hikaru no Go taught me anything.

Anyway, this was quite an awesome episode bringing even more characters together.

EDIT: Though that is a Go board they are using.

Ah right. I was just looking at the board and how the pieces were aligned. Go pieces are only one color while Reversi/Othello pieces are reversible. But they are indeed on a Go board.

Etherios said:
2 things i am worried about..

Well I'm pretty sure Harima's body wouldn't have memories of its former self if the head was removed unless Durarara intends on taking a very pseudoscientific approach with cellular memory theory. In which case, there are no memories but her personality might still linger. In Celty's case though, her being a supernatural being, her conscious is with her body... but her memories seem to be locked away somewhere in her head... which is attached to Harima's body.

Judging from the last scene, I would assume "Celty" is sending the text messages to Izaya.
Mar 5, 2010 3:16 PM
Mar 2009
Great episode. The Yagiris are pretty messed up. Not surprising with a bodyless head involved. I loved the way Shizuo handled Seiji and even though I'm not sure Seiji knows about Shizuo's reputation, it took some balls to stab him like that even after seeing how easily Shizuo could lift him.
Mar 5, 2010 3:20 PM
Feb 2010
My GOD. Izaya, I love you.
*¬*
Mar 5, 2010 3:20 PM

Jun 2009
Hmm. What a great episode. But I am not so sure about head switch. Wouldn’t it be easier to just make Harima look like Celty, than actually switching their heads? It would benefit all sides. Namie would have the head and wouldn’t have to worry about it disappearing again, Saji would have his Celty and Mika would have her Saji. Maybe I think too much. Well, what a weird family and couple they make.
Mar 5, 2010 3:21 PM
Feb 2010
TechDragon said:
Celty was so close!

ImageGif By francismeunier

Indeed This was EPIC.

Haha, love the gif.
Mar 5, 2010 3:26 PM

Sep 2007
monkatx said:
Hmm. What a great episode. But I am not so sure about head switch. Wouldn’t it be easier to just make Harima look like Celty, than actually switching their heads? It would benefit all sides. Namie would have the head and wouldn’t have to worry about it disappearing again, Saji would have his Celty and Mika would have her Saji. Maybe I think too much. Well, what a weird family and couple they make.

Well I'm assuming Harima is already dead when Namie first found Seiji after he stole the head so they can't exactly lop Harima's own head back on and everything would be dandy. Celty, being a supposedly immortal being, her head won't exactly "die" so they stuck that on and the body reanimated itself with the head or something something?
Mar 5, 2010 3:33 PM
Dec 2007
Fascinating episode with huge developments and badass Shizuo action.

Oh, and after the preview, I totally loof forward to the next episode since Ryugamine with meet Selty.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Mar 5, 2010 3:37 PM

Aug 2009
-*shudders* Brocons frighten me (Funnily enough, this weeks BakaTest was about a brocon sister of the main character, however while that was played for humor....)

-The connections are starting to become even more apparent. Today, we find out about how Celty's head got onto the girl. I'm very confused on how they managed to graft a decapitated head onto a dead human body but then again, the head belongs to a faerie. Maybe it's ma~agikaru!

-I am now officially a fan of Izaya. The end of the episode that shows that he is orchestrating everything was the clincher. I half-expected him to whip out a notebook with a "Just as planned" face. But I guess spinning in his chair will take care of it.

-Speaking of which, Othelloshogichess. Obviously a game of champions.

-So happy we got to see Shizuo again doing badass things like a badass. I loved "Leave this to me, you go on ahead" since that's one of those cliche lines that you hear in every anime. I like tounge-in-cheek things like that.

-Wait, I don't think there was a Baccano/anime reference this week!
Mar 5, 2010 3:54 PM

Apr 2009
garfield15 said:
-*shudders* Brocons frighten me (Funnily enough, this weeks BakaTest was about a brocon sister of the main character, however while that was played for humor....)

And there are Hanamaru Youchien whit Satsuki and Gintama whit the siscon Sheimei. XD

About the shogi peace that Izaya move at last i think it stand for Ryuugamine. It is a Promoted pawn, it fit him well now. :)

And being a cellphone in this series, not a good thing.

"There's no such thing as a coma. He is surly previewing the afterlife." by
Mar 5, 2010 3:54 PM

Mar 2010
So, yeah...basically, all of the climactic pieces are falling into place, now. It's about to get intense, starting next episode. (The synopses of the next two episodes were released recently, if interested)
Mar 5, 2010 4:00 PM

Jul 2009
garfield15 said:

Nebula, does this company name sound familiar to you...
Hint:Watch Baccano! episode 9
Mar 5, 2010 4:02 PM

Mar 2009
man, this show is the shit .. love Namie's stalking (and she's HOT too), hate Seiji, LOVE Izaya OMG that board and that spinning (Light's got nothing on that)

Shizuo : Pain is a phantom of the mind xD .. and Shizuo x Selty friendship kawaii cute (I'm rooting for more then friendship though)
Mar 5, 2010 4:04 PM

Mar 2010
koteg-senpai said:
man, this show is the shit .. love Namie's stalking (and she's HOT too), hate Seiji, LOVE Izaya OMG that board and that spinning (Light's got nothing on that)

Shizuo : Pain is a phantom of the mind xD .. and Shizuo x Selty friendship kawaii cute (I'm rooting for more then friendship though)

Yeah, I agree. Seiji really does annoy me. He's using terms like "love" and "soulmate" too loosely, pretty much making them lose their 'special' meaning, which apparently angered Shizuo.
Mar 5, 2010 4:06 PM

Aug 2009
Kagura89 said:
garfield15 said:

FUUUUUUUUUUU-

Why can't I catch these things when I hear them!?
Mar 5, 2010 4:22 PM

Jul 2009
garfield15 said:
Kagura89 said:
garfield15 said:

FUUUUUUUUUUU-

Why can't I catch these things when I hear them!?

Haha I also surprise when Izaya mentions about Nebula,a foreign company situated in America with his conversation with Namie.Nebula indeed the same company mentions in Baccano! & Vamp! hence these three story occur in the same universe.
Mar 5, 2010 5:22 PM

May 2008
Don't worry Izaya, I love you ;D

Man, Namie doesn't even have a brother complex..she's just...wow xD I love people like her.

Kick ass episode. It was sort of confusing to figure out what scenes were happening in what time frame of the day..but I guess you understand it at the very end.

Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Mar 24, 2010

318 by KonokoAsada »»
Sep 2, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usami-Haru - Mar 18, 2010

460 by KonokoAsada »»
Sep 2, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

katzenjammer - Feb 18, 2010

303 by KonokoAsada »»
Sep 2, 1:33 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

yakisobapan - Jan 21, 2010

412 by KonokoAsada »»
Sep 2, 1:24 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

goldslaught - Jun 24, 2010

600 by Randomega »»
Aug 30, 9:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.