3It was OK
6.0%
2Disliked it
1.5%
1Hated it
0.7%
Average 4.6
134 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 20, 2015 8:40 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yes, finally some Emma focus this episode and imo was great to see more of her background.

Interesting to see some vampire/flying Horror in this series though. I wonder what other monsters this show has to offer. Leon came right on time for the fight. And I also have to give credit to the choreography for the action in the air. Thought that was pretty well presented.

The world fiction remains great.
Stark700Feb 20, 2015 9:52 AM
Feb 20, 2015 9:59 AM

Jul 2010
The horror being Emma's husband. That really was quite the tragic past with that ill treatment by that other group.

Didn't expect an aerial battle of this sort that felt really modernized and at the same time really fitting of its themes and lore.

Both losing the one that are important to them, I hope it is just an one time thing (if it does happen) as I can't think highly of it atm.
Feb 20, 2015 10:17 AM

Mar 2012
Ema and Leon are 't going to last (~_~;) but if by some miracle they do I'm rooting for them. Fuk the age difference.
Feb 20, 2015 10:20 AM

Apr 2014
Damn! I was worried when Garm said Emma was going to die. That scene with Emma killing Luciano almost got me!
Good thing she was been saved by Leon! That Kissing/Bed Scene of Emma and Leon though! I guess she's just drunk!
Who's the Cute Girl in the Preview with Alfonso? Would she also die? Damn I can't wait for the next episode next week!
Haters always gonna hate.
Feb 20, 2015 10:24 AM

Jun 2012
VERY mixed reaction to this week's episode. Disappointing that I'm feeling this way since I've been a fan of Ema since she was introduced. I like the IDEA of Ema's story line and what happened in this week's episode but it was marred down by the mediocre first half of this cour.

First of all, I find it kind of insulting they just jammed her whole story into one episode. Garo wasted too much time dicking around on the farm when they could've spread the events of this week's episode over 2-3 eps. As a result, All of Ema's LUCIANOOOOOOOOO screams felt hollow to me as an audience member because I didn't have the connection of why her quest is important to her as it is.

As for that ending....
Again, it didn't have the impact it wanted because his farm waifu died like 2 episodes ago. Now I'm supposed to accept the ending that transpired? I've been wanting drunk Leon x Ema for a while now but not like this. Just overall sloppy execution and Ema's arc really deserved more breathing room

On a more positive note, I did like the choreography of Ema and Luciano's fight. Haven't seen an airborne fight executed like that. Very slick
HybridMBLFeb 20, 2015 11:00 AM
Feb 20, 2015 10:31 AM

Jun 2013
HybridMBL said:

As for that ending....
Again, it didn't have the impact it wanted because his farm waifu died like 2 episodes ago. Now I'm supposed to accept the ending that transpired? Just overall sloppy execution and Ema's arc really deserved more breathing room

On a more positive note, I did like the choreography of Ema and Luciano's fight. Haven't seen an airborne fight executed like that. Very slick

I don't think Ema x Leon was badly executed because Leon and Ema were still sad after losing there loved ones it was just one way of them trying to comfort them self this also happens irl.But besides ema has some good experience i bet she could teach Leon a thing or two :)

yea was also suprised they went this like dog fight style in air i think it was cool.
Feb 20, 2015 10:52 AM

Aug 2010
Quite the interesting episode with Ema's backstory and how it concluded.

Dat Unlimited Glide Works Ema uses as a fighting style is really cool :O Loved the aerial battle. They actually still have some budget after last weeks ep O_o? I'm honestly surprised XD

Ema lost the ponytail? She looks nice with short hair too though ^^
Dat Kiss :3 So the ship officially sets sail. Both of them move on quick. Didn't expect Leon to kiss her and lay her in bed :O Will he really go all the way?? This guy has really matured hasn't he ^^;
Poor Leon though, ending up with used goods instead of the pure Lara :/
Feb 20, 2015 10:52 AM

Nov 2009
A vampire horror, huh... Oh well.

Agreed with HybridMBL that Ema's story felt rushed and more cliched than I would have liked for her.

And when the bed scene rolled, I laughed, I'm not sure why, maybe because that kind of pairing never even crossed my mind till then (if anything, initially I thought that maybe Ema would have something with Herman down along the line). Just out of curiosity, just how big is that age difference? 15-18 years or something? And it's reverse to what we're more or less used to seeing, at that (when it's the girl who's so much younger).
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Feb 20, 2015 10:54 AM

Sep 2013
I'm gonna be honest. I didn't really like this episode much. Don't get me wrong, it had lots of cool things and fleshed out Ema to an extent but... well...

Alright, first off. The backdrop for Ema and Luciano. That was rather rushed to the point I had a hard time getting invested. It seemed like they only touched on the idea of turning horrors back into humans or preventing humans from being horrors. It didn't hold much impact though because we never had any time to get a grasp on their relationship, it was just, "Oh we love each other" and that was it, so seeing Luciano die didn't really hold much emotional payoff.

Also... Okay... the flying cyber-laser battle. Yes, it was cool but what the heck was it doing in this show? It was fluidly animated and had great cinematography for the most part but it felt so out of place given the shows setting and what we've seen up till now. It sorta felt like they pulled it out of their asses just to make the series cooler while sacrificing plausibility. Idunno, it bothered me and while the fight was cool, I found myself going, "What the heck am I looking at!?" multiple times.

Finally.. the last scene.. I'm sorry but.. was there supposed to be some sort of relationship between Leon and Ema? I can understand Ema wanting to celebrate and kiss Leon just for the hell of it but to see Leon grab her, hold her down and continue? Didn't the one woman he ever loved die like... a week ago? That makes no sense to me... Their relationship had very little foreshadowing, Ema acted more like a mother figure to him throughout the series and that's the angle I thought they were going for since it played in well with Leon having lost his mother. Maybe they are both trying to forget the fact their lovers recently died? I guess but it still felt rather... forced and... out of no where. It didn't really fit Leon's character either even if that was the case.

Meh.. It still looked nice and sounded great. This episode was so over the top and rushed though.
Feb 20, 2015 10:57 AM

Oct 2009
I don't mind the pair EmaxLeon but this episode is really rushed... :(
Feb 20, 2015 11:22 AM

Oct 2012
First it was mecha Garo and now it's laser fights and some itano circus, kinda ruins the whole medieval fantasy theme.
Feb 20, 2015 11:30 AM

Oct 2014
Oh so that's Emma's story, LUCIANO!!!!!!!!!!

Geeez, for Leo to be Emma's love interest is kinda EEEEWWWWW, Cu'z it would be like a Cougar X Tadpole thingy.
Feb 20, 2015 11:34 AM

Sep 2013
Well that escalated rather quickly.... Good to see Leon maturing further. Always knew the watchdog was a trap.... I'm curious how they are going to end this season and leave enough material for the next.

Luciano's bird form really reminded me of Howl from How's Moving Castle for some reason.... Must be the wings. lol.
DoragonessUFeb 20, 2015 11:43 AM
Feb 20, 2015 12:05 PM

Jan 2012
Poor guy :(

And the hell?! What was with that ending scene... What about Lara... she just died :(
Feb 20, 2015 12:15 PM

Jul 2010
Noooooooo i don't want Leon to go that route. D:

DoragonessU said:
Always knew the watchdog was a trap....

Yeah hmmm wait. Is the translation really correct ? I couldn't hear anything specifically hinting at his/her gender, and it just doesn't fit with the overall impression. I don't even believe a trap would get that kind of voice, it only goes to the "snarky old woman" side.
Feb 20, 2015 12:25 PM

Apr 2013
I'm suprised that watchdog turned out to be a guy.

The Ship has officially sailed!!!
Feb 20, 2015 12:49 PM

Jan 2009
Out of the Luis boys, Leon cashed out bigger.
Feb 20, 2015 1:12 PM

Nov 2012
Leon ain't a boy anymore.
Feb 20, 2015 1:24 PM
Jul 2018
Ema's back-story was totally good and her husband became a horror.

That ending with a kiss.
Feb 20, 2015 1:29 PM

Oct 2014
Felt as if the episode was a bit rushed. Those bat-flying machine things were a little strange.

Looks like someone might have a little crush on Alfonso in the next episode. Well, hopefully.
Feb 20, 2015 1:37 PM

Nov 2012
HybridMBL said:
As for that ending....
Again, it didn't have the impact it wanted because his farm waifu died like 2 episodes ago. Now I'm supposed to accept the ending that transpired? I've been wanting drunk Leon x Ema for a while now but not like this. Just overall sloppy execution and Ema's arc really deserved more breathing room

Barion-Zara said:

Poor Leon though, ending up with used goods instead of the pure Lara :/

This^^^^^^
Couldn't they have Killed Ema Instead and introduce Lara later..........
It is not like Ema x Leon have any future, most likely that was just on the spur of the moment cause both have lost somebody recently.
Feb 20, 2015 2:03 PM

Jul 2011
Keten said:
Finally.. the last scene.. I'm sorry but.. was there supposed to be some sort of relationship between Leon and Ema? I can understand Ema wanting to celebrate and kiss Leon just for the hell of it but to see Leon grab her, hold her down and continue? Didn't the one woman he ever loved die like... a week ago? That makes no sense to me... Their relationship had very little foreshadowing, Ema acted more like a mother figure to him throughout the series and that's the angle I thought they were going for since it played in well with Leon having lost his mother. Maybe they are both trying to forget the fact their lovers recently died? I guess but it still felt rather... forced and... out of no where. It didn't really fit Leon's character either even if that was the case.

Yeah, I'm surprised as well. I saw the kiss coming, but I didn't expect Leon to grab her. Though the episode did give some vibes for it, since it was more serious and Leon didn't react to her teasing as usual. So much for being a mother figure though, that crossed the line for me (for their relationship). I don't want everything going to shit now that Herman has switched sides... >_<

But I thought the flying hooks were ingenious, though random and a bit out of place. The battle itself was pretty good too, but I expected Emma to die right after killing her husband. I wanted her to die actually, so then Leon would have lost another person important to him. But no... they decided on this direction instead... I can't imagine it being more than a one time thing though, licking each other's wounds per se. Anything beyond that is too much. :/
Feb 20, 2015 2:28 PM

Sep 2013
Mirorin said:
Yeah, I'm surprised as well. I saw the kiss coming, but I didn't expect Leon to grab her. Though the episode did give some vibes for it, since it was more serious and Leon didn't react to her teasing as usual. So much for being a mother figure though, that crossed the line for me (for their relationship). I don't want everything going to shit now that Herman has switched sides... >_<

But I thought the flying hooks were ingenious, though random and a bit out of place. The battle itself was pretty good too, but I expected Emma to die right after killing her husband. I wanted her to die actually, so then Leon would have lost another person important to him. But no... they decided on this direction instead... I can't imagine it being more than a one time thing though, licking each other's wounds per se. Anything beyond that is too much. :/

I enjoyed the fight as well. It's just that it felt so out of place despite the show seemingly wanting it to hold a lot of weight in terms of emotional impact. Ema is killing her husband so why am I looking at spider-Ema flying around, dodging lasers and blowing things up? It's cool and awesome to look at but it contrasts poorly with the dramatic scenes, especially when the dramatic scenes were unfortunately rushed.

As for Ema dying... I mean... we didn't really get much out of her so I wouldn't really be happy with that outcome. I'd rather she live and become a motherly figure of sorts to Leon. I am a bit annoyed that her backdrop appeared shoe-horned in despite the fact there was a perfectly good filler episode about people building a Mecha-Garo that could have been entirely cut and replaced with a more fleshed out version of her backdrop. Pacing of this series is so all over the place...
Feb 20, 2015 3:43 PM

Mar 2010
Very enjoyable episode. I also doubt their relationship will last but I also doubt there will be another romance interest for Leon. They may end up together who knows. Ema definitely has another role to play to the series otherwise they would have already killed her in this episode.
Feb 20, 2015 4:38 PM
Nov 2013
Ema episode! Although quite sad. Didn't expect Luciano to be her brother, I was thinking he was her brother. Too bad he was a horror and was killed...

I knew Leon and Ema we're going to get together. Felt she was a cougar from the start. Anyway, very good episode. I want to know German's intentions soon..
Feb 20, 2015 5:27 PM
Apr 2012
Since I saw Rahxephon and Godannar the ending wasn't surprising to me. Heck, Real Drive has a 15 year girl get with a guy pushing 80.
ssj4jwFeb 20, 2015 5:32 PM
Feb 20, 2015 5:29 PM
Apr 2010
even if it's just one time thing between them, i am glad anyways, in fact it's even better.
Feb 20, 2015 5:38 PM

Apr 2013
dat ending scene thooo
Feb 20, 2015 6:07 PM
Mar 2010
wait... whattt....
Feb 20, 2015 8:16 PM

Mar 2009
Leon! How could you?!

Lara just died...now with Ema? C'mon. Ema kissing Leon was somehow expected but Leon pinning Ema down while kissing her, really didn't see that coming. Please stop the further development of the bed scene in the next episode.
Feb 20, 2015 8:19 PM

Sep 2012
I'm all for Leon & Ema. Who cares about the age difference and experience. It's clear it wasn't on a whim he ended doing something after that surprise kiss. If he didn't hold some sort of feeling for her he wouldn't of kissed back like that.
Feb 20, 2015 8:32 PM
Apr 2014
Yes! My ship is finally sailing!
Feb 20, 2015 8:42 PM
Feb 2015
I really enjoyed this episode. I also really liked the bed scene. When she told Leon that he couldn't understand what she felt and looked into his eyes, she could tell he too had lost someone important to him. Although I don't think it will last. It also did a good job showing some of Ema's background.
Feb 20, 2015 9:24 PM

Jun 2014
Leon x Ema is pretty cute, but I still would have preferred Lara. You know... if she didn't die and somehow survived to make a story line where she becomes a female Makai Knight/Alchemist or something.

This Horror is one of the most best-looking horrors I've seen. Compared to the others with their disfigured bodies, it's nice to see one that looks like person in a fighter jet suit. I hope they keep the design of Horrors like this , but it's probably never going to happen again.

This makes me wonder what Ema's age is. If's she was married and didn't have kids, she's likely to be in the late/mid 20's or early 30's. Which doesn't make their fickle frackle seem all that bad when you consider Leon as 19, probably closer to 20. It might have seemed a bit off if she was older though.
Feb 20, 2015 9:33 PM

Sep 2007
OH SNAP....Leon & Ema = OTP now? LOL just....LOL

Lara come back from the dead and steal your Leon back... ;-;
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Feb 20, 2015 10:54 PM

Apr 2014
Holmes15 said:

I was surprised when reading the subs too. But I actually think FUNimation had just screwed-up the translation.
Haters always gonna hate.
Feb 21, 2015 12:06 AM

Jul 2013
So much angs for Lara only to bang another woman two episodes later... lol

Well, it was still a good ep. Fleshed out Ema´s character, I warmed up to Luciano and the fight kicked ass.
Feb 21, 2015 12:11 AM

Oct 2013
I think the fight scenes in this episode were the best I have ever seen so far in the series. Ema's backstory was interesting, but it obviously lacked the emotional impact it was supposed to present.

Leon + Ema = (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Leon, you bastard, Lara JUST died, like, a week ago! Are you kidding me? That was so out-of-character!

Sigh, I know he's supposed to be maturing and whatnot, but come on. There was little to no forshadowing, and besides, the relationship they had was like that of a kid and his older sister (in my opinion, anyway).

Um, the Watchdog person is a boy? O.o I did not know that.
Feb 21, 2015 1:13 AM

Jun 2014
I liked emma's back story, but it DID feel a bit rushed. Not really all that surprised by the kiss. I mean the woman is grieving/celebrating/ very drunk.

I have to say though, GARO tells a VERY satisfying coming of age story and really took its time with Leon's character development. yeah it was a bit slow there for a while but it was so worth it.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Feb 21, 2015 1:42 AM

Aug 2012
I don't know exactly where they're going with this, but I think the way that ending went down was supposed to make us feel very uneasy. Kind of pity of them. It's very understandable in a sweet/dark way but due to the suddenness of it in terms of what these two have JUST gone through with loved ones, you feel really uneasy about it. I think it's definitely a confirmation and foreshadowing of the dark place the two are in(Leon more importantly, we expect this from Ema especially after seeing her backstory), and it can either help the two of them heal and move on, or cause them to further explore that dark place and who then knows what could happen..
Feb 21, 2015 2:09 AM

May 2010
Rayzer said:
Holmes15 said:

I was surprised when reading the subs too. But I actually think FUNimation had just screwed-up the translation.
This episode in particular, only the ring used a pronoun to refer to Garm and it was a gender-neutral one. It's apparently a dog, but the woman-like appearance is not the true form so trying to guess whether it's male or female based on appearance wouldn't be reliable.
Feb 21, 2015 2:39 AM

Jul 2007
OH lawd, all the poor otaku and and their rage over sexual intimacy. Not "pure" enough for you? Did they have to hold hands longer? Not enough virgins in the pairing? Deal With it.

Both Ema and Leon lost their love interests and are dealing with grief. The episode actually foreshadows it as you can very clearly see Leon have very different reactions to Ema's behavior through episode than usual - his reactions to her flirting and teasing are very different because he still lacks clear emotional stability in regards of losing someone he was so close to AND because he has matured(and Ema did hint before at possibility of something more between them once he stops being a kid/teen).

The Ending is pretty much grief sex it seems - both of them lost someone they care about and this is the way they deal with it.

Both characters have reasons to want intimacy and both characters can be seen as substituting their grief for their loved ones with it. AND both characters have displayed sexual attraction to each other before.

Its quite realistic that Garo decided to do stuff like this because the usual romances we see in anime are usually highly overblown "destined pairings" - rarely do we actually get nonchalant no-attachment-or-consequences sex.

Garo has always approached sex very liberally, so this is no different.
Feb 21, 2015 3:28 AM

Aug 2010
CookingPriest said:
OH lawd, all the poor otaku and and their rage over sexual intimacy. Not "pure" enough for you? Did they have to hold hands longer? Not enough virgins in the pairing? Deal With it.

Both Ema and Leon lost their love interests and are dealing with grief. The episode actually foreshadows it as you can very clearly see Leon have very different reactions to Ema's behavior through episode than usual - his reactions to her flirting and teasing are very different because he still lacks clear emotional stability in regards of losing someone he was so close to AND because he has matured(and Ema did hint before at possibility of something more between them once he stops being a kid/teen).

The Ending is pretty much grief sex it seems - both of them lost someone they care about and this is the way they deal with it.

Both characters have reasons to want intimacy and both characters can be seen as substituting their grief for their loved ones with it. AND both characters have displayed sexual attraction to each other before.

Its quite realistic that Garo decided to do stuff like this because the usual romances we see in anime are usually highly overblown "destined pairings" - rarely do we actually get nonchalant no-attachment-or-consequences sex.

^^THIS!!
Feb 21, 2015 4:15 AM

Feb 2014
Ema's story was quite rushed indeed but the fights were great. And also yeah, about that Leon x Ema. I was like, what? Where did that even come from?
Feb 21, 2015 4:52 AM

Oct 2013
Well, that explains why Ema is a main character
Feb 21, 2015 5:30 AM

Jun 2012
CookingPriest said:

Look at this badass over here. People aren't criticizing Garo because they hooked up or because they weren't "pure" or what not. That's just your arrogance talking.

The way Garo has paced out its story this cour made what should've been a climactic moment between these two characters fall flat. German and Ximena's one night stand was arguably built up and executed better than Leon x Ema
Feb 21, 2015 6:00 AM

May 2013
Ema and her past with Luciano. It was great! Most of it was well paced and the background story was admirable. However, it could use more episodes than just this. I can see it having more potential if it did.

That last part though. I really wasn't expecting anything. Then that initiation that Ema did, caught me completely off guard. Yeah, Leon is not a boy anymore. LOL!
Feb 21, 2015 6:07 AM

Nov 2014
CookingPriest said:

Well said sire, well said. I like how Garo approaches the sex scenes, no teases or anything, just goes straight to the point and shows it to you.

I'm kinda baffled with the design of Luciano, his horror form, seemed out of place, not something you'd see in that time frame. Shooting arrows would've fit in more with the setting rather than shooting lasers; those air-to-air missiles seemed weird as well.

Agree with the others that this episode felt rushed; Ema's past could've been better shown instead of having those filler episodes.
Feb 21, 2015 6:14 AM

Sep 2013
HybridMBL said:

Look at this badass over here. People aren't criticizing Garo because they hooked up or because they weren't "pure" or what not. That's just your arrogance talking.

The way Garo has paced out its story this cour made what should've been a climactic moment between these two characters fall flat. German and Ximena's one night stand was arguably built up and executed better than Leon x Ema

Well said.

I also want to make clear that I am alright if they were both dealing with grief so they had sex as a form of escapism but the fact that Leon has no prior sexual experience and HE was the one who grabbed HER and held HER down to initiate the sex was unrealistic to me. Doesn't matter how more mature he is now, virgin's don't act like that unless they are very perverted or desperately desire sex and considering his stoic and serious personality, it was out of character.
Feb 21, 2015 7:20 AM

Jan 2013
So the horror was her husband, could be better done tho.
And that kiss... don't feel anything since Lara "just" died...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

65 by macabongx »»
Nov 8, 2023 4:02 PM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2015

204 by Inexplicable »»
Oct 4, 2022 3:50 PM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2014

169 by Inexplicable »»
Oct 3, 2022 3:40 PM

» 2nd half is a lot better than first

Barry_Allen_14 - Aug 16, 2021

2 by Scythe97 »»
Sep 30, 2022 3:52 AM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

89 by Creepyarea »»
Sep 17, 2022 1:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.