Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 14, 12:15 PM
Apr 2018
"i hope to be someone who can make the stars shine"
Great Episode.

We start with the theatre play slowly coming to the final arc. All the leads being carefully placed into their respective final fights melt vs whats his face, aqua vs himekawa and finally the big one Kana vs Akane which everyone wanted to see.

Akane starts her performance stunningly impressing and satisfying abiko sensei who was worried about saya himes role. Then we delved into akanes pov with the childhood incident that changed it all. Akane was kana's fan and idolized her after seeing her on tv to the point she studied diligently and started acting, even cut her hair to match kana's which was adorable. (i prefered her long her) Baby kana and akane are such cuties for real.

But the day she met her idol/hero everything changes cause she meets a kana whos broken from the inside by the adults and industry, akane is in denial but kana gives her the cold harsh truth. Two girls were hurt that day. After that Akane studies psychology (which makes sense why shes fast at connecting dots and studying people) to know why kana has become like that and Akane now understands what shes gone through and what was behind the smile on the tv. The sacrifices she has made from her childhood just to be there in the industry and the way she puts other people in forward during acting and takes all the pressure on herself & keeps moving forward despite that. I just wanna give kana a big hug.

Akane then proceeds with a beautiful stunning performance (i loved it) with cold tenacity in hopes Kana would respond to her the way she hoped to so that they can have the amazing showdown akane dreamed of with her idol the old shining Kana. Kana almost considers it but again comes the ptsd and she goes back to her sacrificing role,putting akane in the spotlight amazingly but very sadly.

Akane is not happy with this cause she doesnt want to see this side of kana and blame herself for it. Aqua pops up and assures her that he doesnt like kanas this side too and that she doesnt know herself, plus the fact that she shines the brightest when she draws attention to herself. Akane pouts seeing how much aqua knows about kana xD but understands what hes trying to say. Now aqua will help akane trying to bring Kana back to her former self and this will be exciting.

AND I CANNOT EMPHASIZE ENOUGH that i just cannot wait for the next episode. its gonna be epic. :)

Aug 14, 12:18 PM
Dec 2021
perfect episode. I love Kana
Aug 14, 12:28 PM
Jan 2016
I feel like this episode was executed way better than the previous one, especially that scene where Akane stares directly in Kana's eyes. This one was actually great.
It was great to see some of the backstory of Akane, which provided pretty good reasoning why she's an actress and a psychology magician. Aside from that, this whole play feels like it doesn't exactly fit, especially some scenes are just so completely random and without much purpose. So now the only one without a backstory explained is Kana, though we got a bit of her from Akane's past. I'm not sure if we're left with anyone important who would need a backstory explained, and I really hope the next episode will actually finish this play.
Aug 14, 12:29 PM
May 2024
This episode was one of the best episodes I've seen, of anything, in general. I don't even tend to comment about episodes on here but I felt I needed to say that. Just wow.
Aug 14, 12:30 PM
Jul 2020
I guide others to a treasure I cannot possess.

- Arima Kana
Aug 14, 12:33 PM

Mar 2023
Another insane episode that ends promising another one.
This play has elevated the show in the past few weeks.
Aug 14, 12:35 PM
Jul 2023
I found Akane's backstory interesting and now it's clearer why there is so much rivalry between them. I hope Kana shines again
Aug 14, 1:17 PM
Mar 2020
I love the way this show uses visual imagery the same way the actors on stage are supposedly using movement. Akane reaching for the drink machine button. Akane reaching for the book. Kana arresting a step forward and fading into the shadow. Akane's eye turning into the moon. I don't know how much of this imagery is borrowed from the manga, but I get the feeling the storyboarders put in a lot of attention to detail. I get the same feeling from this stage performance I got from the rakugo performances in Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.
Aug 14, 1:36 PM
Aug 2023
Is that a Piplup? Wow that for sure was unexpected
Aug 14, 1:40 PM
May 2021
One of the best arcs of this series hands downnn
Aug 14, 1:41 PM
Jun 2024
Love seeing a bit of kana and akanes backstory
Aug 14, 1:55 PM

Jul 2022
Another incredible episode! So far, I think the second season has surpassed its predecessor. The direction of the episodes is excellent, with great soundtracks and sudden changes in the characters' emotional tone.

The rivalry between Kana and Akane is intense; although they claim to hate each other or have different acting methods and want to outshine each other, they push each other to bring out the best in both of them. I can’t wait to see how Aqua and Akane highlight Kana’s evident talent in acting, which she has been using to support other actors or adapt to performances all this time.
Aug 14, 2:32 PM
May 2020
was meant to be a rivalry between two beasts but kana chickened out. by our favourite "couple" arent giving up on her
Aug 14, 3:05 PM
Jan 2024
God damn that was beautiful
Aug 14, 3:06 PM
Apr 2018
really liked when Akane confronted Kana and the mood just went silent with the shot of them looking at each other
Aug 14, 3:09 PM
Jul 2013
peak episode oshinoko on this arc tbh...

everything served in this episode is top tier. couldn't argue more.

Megumi Han vs Iwami Manaka basically, apart from kana vs Akane, its basically the battle between Megumi Han which is more senior VA than Iwami Manaka that blown up lately. Kana and the character is mostly different character hence you can see how Megumi Han shines in this episode. While Akane and the princess mostly a calm and collected women, so you cant see much different between them.

THE MUSIC MAN THE MUSIC... WHAT THE HELL WITH THAT PIANO?? ITS SO FUCKING GOOD. The leitmotif changes when talking Kana as Akane "sun" its more calm, hopeful and happy + the doubling with trumpet its smart. i love it although i would expect a chord change, but its kinda a bit too grand, but when Kana accepts the challenge it become more sinister. its shows the uneasiness, wondering and even scared when Akane wonders Kana wouldnt face her full force...

I couldnt say this part or this part is carrying the whole episode. but each part is just peak.
10/10 for this week episode.
Aug 14, 3:15 PM

Feb 2014
Akane and Kana's rivalry looks rather simple at first glance, but it's gets more complex the more you take a more thorough look at it. The flashbacks did help to inform us more about how they first met as well as showing the issues that effected both girls.

Mainly, it's Kana that needs the help more, going by her stance of acting in a way that elevates others around her, but at the cost of not pushing her acting towards the same goal of giving it 100% or beyond. Thankfully, Aqua understands the issue and agrees to help Akane to help Kana shine once more.

I think this will end with Akane winning her battle overall against Kana, but if it means helping Kana to finally elevate her own performance to the very best of her abilities instead of playing the supporting role, then I'm all for it. While I still prefer Kana, Akane has been brilliant in these last few episodes, so I do hope she and Aqua can succeed in bringing Kana out of her shell here and have her giving it her all once more. =)
Aug 14, 3:39 PM

Oct 2017
Not as impressive as ep 6 but the later half is really good.
Kana vs Akane's back story is really good. Poor Kana, got exposed to the dirty society way too soon because of being a prodigy actor.
Aug 14, 4:25 PM
Sep 2023
Show is peak, nothing more nothing less
Aug 14, 4:41 PM
Nov 2019
I appreciate how many layers to the Kana/Akane rivalry there are, especially the longer the series goes.
Aug 14, 4:45 PM
Apr 2023
As always a very good episode but this one didn’t hit as hard with me as the other episodes (but maybe that’s just because I’m not feeling too well). Really liked that we saw more or Kana and Akane and that they actually have some past together and the way their heads worked during the play. Especially love that shot of Kana running and then it switches to Akane in front of her. As always very excited for the next episode.
Aug 14, 4:52 PM

Apr 2018
Best episode of the season hands down, the two main girls fighting each other and it appears Akane is winning. As a big Kana fan I cannot wait to see what Aqua and Akane can do to make Kana shine again on the stage.
Aug 14, 5:18 PM

Jul 2015
Ahh yes, once again Kana shrinks away when her peers try to elevate her, time for her Agua to save the day. again. smh
Aug 14, 5:24 PM

Aug 2020
The opening and ending (especially the ending) is SO cool. They grew a lot on my concept in the last episodes.

This is another great episode, the background of Akane-Kana relationship was well done. I love the glorious aspect of a play, just like Revue Starlight did. Truly amazing season in my book.

Aug 14, 5:28 PM
Feb 2021
erfgdbdfghfdgfdgfdgfdgb
Aug 14, 5:34 PM

Jul 2023
It's a great episode. Kana inspired Akane to take up acting, and the latter is the former's greatest fan. Unfortunately, Kana lashed out on Akane, and for most people, that would've easily turned someone into your greatest hater.

Akane truly is a prodigy as she read tons of books well beyond what's suitable for her age. She dove down deeper into Kana's psyche until Akane understood Kana at a deep level, far more than Kana understands herself. It's no wonder that Akane was able to imitate Ai as she had done so with Kana earlier.

I love how both Kana and Akane are written, and as someone else tweeted, they would have been the best of friends. And it's also unfortunate that they are competing for Aqua's attention, which is something Aqua is not really keen on. Aqua unintentionally becomes the wedge that drives away what would have been a beautiful friendship.

This episode is truly touching and probably deserves to be called 'peak.'
patkarununganAug 14, 5:39 PM
Aug 14, 5:35 PM
Apr 2018
Reply to Alfilfieratore
@Alfilfieratore Is that really? i thought it was just a normal penguin plushy xD
Aug 14, 5:40 PM
Oct 2019
Damn imagined the actor you look up to saying all those harsh things to you when you meet up for the first time.
Jesus Christ.

Absolutely Incredible episode, Akane x Kana storyline is amazing.
There are some scene that legit made me tearing up.
Aug 14, 5:58 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to Dust_Eyezz
Honestly this is the first episode that was such a letdown for me that I felt like commenting on it. I felt like I watched a 1 minute intro scene and was waiting for the plot, but it was the entire episode. I guess I don't really care for the side characters in any show tho.
@Dust_Eyezz akane is a part of the core cast bro……
Aug 14, 5:58 PM
Mar 2015
They are trying to force Arima to do her best not just what works for the play
Aug 14, 6:44 PM

Aug 2022
Wasn't expecting more of Akane's backstory to be revealed here. It was cute seeing her younger self. Especially in moments such as eating green bell peppers.

I'm also surprised that Kana practically stole Akane's chance to have a one vs one duel by simply stepping away from the spotlight.

While it wasn't as sakuga filled as the last episode, I hope that with Aqua stepping into the play, we'll get another sakuga experience when we eventually see him and Akane confront Kana.
Aug 14, 6:56 PM

Apr 2022
goddamn akane looked great with her makeover. really good episode building on her rivalry with arima even further.
Aug 14, 7:04 PM

Jul 2024
This week was even better than last week. What a fantastic episode. They're cooking visually these last few episodes. It's really breathtaking at parts
Aug 14, 7:06 PM
Mar 2020
Like the last episode, I've recently been ESTATIC seeing the conflict and developments this episode, and this one did a great job especially. I can't help but think back to the 1st episode through, back when Himekawa told Arima "not to hold back", which almost if not "[coming] with all [she] has", where after she started being thrilled by the action. The audience (the watching actors)'s reaction in EP 1 is captivated as if they're seeing both of them overpower like the sun.

So I am shocked that she didn't rise up and stand her ground to likewise match the brightness of Akane's performance, and instead withdrew to bring her majestic acting to the spotlight. I get it since the audience might prefer that option, but aren't two stars more bright when together than with one only? I'd be curious what others thought of this.

I also love the symbolism by associating Arima with an entire galaxy of stars to symbolize how bring she could be. It really brings out the emotion child Akane had towards child Arima.
Jcdude105Aug 14, 7:27 PM
Aug 14, 7:09 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
A big episode for both Akane and Kana, the waifu war can’t get more heated. So we already knew the first interaction between Akane and Kana was a bad one, but we got a lot more details on it here along with some more backstory for Akane herself and how she got into acting, meaning we got extra cute loli editions of both girls lol. And yeah that was quite the rough first meeting, definitely a prime example of never meet your heroes, but really it worked in Akane’s favor, it drove her to become the actor she is today to “defeat” Kana, battling their acting ideologies together, and boy has it been a feast for the eyes thanks to Doga Kobo, hard to believe these fellas have been SoL kings before this series almost lol, tho it is hard to beat their roots as a big SoL enjoyer.

And along with Akane’s backstory, we got even more insight on why Kana’s acting is the way it is today, she’s an absolute powerhouse but unfortunately holding herself back, honestly I think Akane should take this easy win but we already know her and Aqua are gonna make Kana shine again, well there’s no question Akane is best girl now if she’s willing to help her rival out, I just wish she’d go back to the short hair which briefly returned thanks to the flashback lol. And I also gotta say man, the way it transitioned from Kana running to the cold silence of her in a staring contest with Akane was so clean, such a cool scene. And with the episode ending the way it did, we’re definitely in for a special one next time, I’m excited to see it.
Aug 14, 7:14 PM
Mar 2020
Reply to ObviousAlt2552
@WaterMage
It's just opinion though.

Of course of course, Its a hill I'll die on
Both are great picks, none are real

But I have to say this episode was Akane at its best. Except that one scene of imitating Ai which was her Mangum Opus, I never liked Akane more

Her imitating Ai is peak cinema, especially with the way it cuts to the ED 🔥🔥✍

As Kana fan I am so grateful to how much length Akane going to help her

Kana has had her moments too TBF like at the end of S1, ngl I still have that song in my head
Another moment I can think of is at the start of S2 when Kana & the theater ace paint the room red & blue🔥🔥
Ect. Ect
@ObviousAlt2552 Although I thought Kana had more moments I liked showing her personality, for this episode especially I'm happy you mentioned how Kana's great moment was when she let go of holding back against Himekawa and went as passionate as possible, that was enticing! It's how they shined so brightly, which I felt was in contract to her fight with Akane today where she withdrew, do you agree or how do you feel about my opinion? (Btw I agree on Akane imitating Ai was peak, esp as an ending too)
Aug 14, 7:16 PM
Mar 2020
Reply to Alfilfieratore
@Alfilfieratore good catch, I didn't even realize that was the pokemon
Aug 14, 7:22 PM
Mar 2020
Reply to Jcdude105
Like the last episode, I've recently been ESTATIC seeing the conflict and developments this episode, and this one did a great job especially. I can't help but think back to the 1st episode through, back when Himekawa told Arima "not to hold back", which almost if not "[coming] with all [she] has", where after she started being thrilled by the action. The audience (the watching actors)'s reaction in EP 1 is captivated as if they're seeing both of them overpower like the sun.

So I am shocked that she didn't rise up and stand her ground to likewise match the brightness of Akane's performance, and instead withdrew to bring her majestic acting to the spotlight. I get it since the audience might prefer that option, but aren't two stars more bright when together than with one only? I'd be curious what others thought of this.

I also love the symbolism by associating Arima with an entire galaxy of stars to symbolize how bring she could be. It really brings out the emotion child Akane had towards child Arima.
@Jcdude105 I just had a lightbulb moment. Akane became what Kana before the adults screwed her over were. Her present ideology of overwhelmingly outshining and bending others to work with you is what Arima Kana represented before she changed to become the easiest girl a director could've wanted.

In a sense, she became what Arima Kana the child once was.
Aug 14, 8:02 PM
Sep 2022
its midddddd middd ashhhhhhhhhh

(ragebait)
Aug 14, 8:07 PM
Feb 2024
THIS IS PEAK CINEMA RIGHT HERE
Aug 14, 8:22 PM

Feb 2011
pretty blah episode. nothing to write home about.
3/5

Aug 14, 8:34 PM

Dec 2020
fuuuuuuuuuuuu this show is peak
Aug 14, 8:37 PM

Feb 2018
Wow that was another banger episode lol, everything is too good. Hopefully Akane and Aqua can make Kana shine bright again next episode.

Never ending plan to watch list...

Aug 14, 11:33 PM
Apr 2019
Reply to quintopia
I love the way this show uses visual imagery the same way the actors on stage are supposedly using movement. Akane reaching for the drink machine button. Akane reaching for the book. Kana arresting a step forward and fading into the shadow. Akane's eye turning into the moon. I don't know how much of this imagery is borrowed from the manga, but I get the feeling the storyboarders put in a lot of attention to detail. I get the same feeling from this stage performance I got from the rakugo performances in Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.
quintopia said:
Akane reaching for the drink machine button. Akane reaching for the book.

The strongest insight so far. Take my admiration.

"The Sun," the title of this episode, is ever shining and is the object of adoration for all.
She takes place before anyone else and invigorates people's livelihood. And a solitary presence fears for being setting down.
The sun has the potential to be an overwhelming in her own right, yet she is retreating to the role of a lighting technician who stands in front of other stars to shine them on.
Come again Kana-chan, get the audience boiling!
Aug 14, 11:49 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Much better than the previous episodes centred on side characters who feel like superfluous to the overarching plot. Akane is an incredible character and boy does she shine here. And Kana is a very good counterpoint for her in all ways.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 14, 11:57 PM
Jul 2024
set up episode for akane vs arima next ep??? :OOO
Aug 15, 1:20 AM

Apr 2008
Magnificent, Kanpeki, Subarashiiii
Aug 15, 1:21 AM
Jul 2022
AKANE CHIQUITAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Aug 15, 1:25 AM
Nov 2018
A very OK season relative to strong material suddenly turning it on. What a treat these last two eps have been.
Aug 15, 3:18 AM

Sep 2022
I know peak cinema and other stuff. But honestly this episode story felt like something we already knew. How many times are we going to hear about Kana struggles as genius child actor?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ricky16 - Aug 28

162 by levibigass »»
55 minutes ago

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

nirererin - Aug 21

222 by Nikmomo93 »»
Yesterday, 5:01 PM

» No new episode next week

Dbagas8 - Aug 28

28 by Rinrinka »»
Yesterday, 8:55 AM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Jul 17

161 by Mr_Okarin »»
Aug 30, 12:40 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Jul 31

187 by Ranxomare »»
Aug 30, 11:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.